[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spider-Men

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: miles morales.0.jpg (410KB, 1920x1733px) Image search: [Google]
miles morales.0.jpg
410KB, 1920x1733px
Something hit me when it comes to to non-Peter protags:

>Ben: Peter's clone who has to deal with not being the real deal
>Miguel: Spider-Man of a hundred years into the future
>Otto: Spider-Man with the MO of a villain
>Kaine: Trying to escape his past
>Gargan: Total asshole in it for the paycheck
>Spider-Gwen: A completely different spin on the Spider-Man mythos

>Miles: ... Both his parents are alive?...

Is there any compelling reason to read Miles?
>>
>>92343362
>Not an orphan, don't care.

Is this really your argument here?
>>
>>92343362
*black
>>
>>92343362
he's black and has two parents
he already has a super power, why give him spider powers?
>>
>>92343362
if he wasn't written by bendis maybe, but he was
a literal who wanted to take up the mantle in ultimate universe.
>>
I don't think the anon's problem is with the orphan bit but Miles just doesn't have anything else to prop him up as unique. I would say with Miles the best reason to read him is learning how to not write a fight and think about a characters powers before you write them and how they will effect future stories. Miles can turn invisible and shock people in one hit, no fight is ever struggle for him like it is with Peter.
>>
File: 1482940265257.png (2MB, 575x1331px) Image search: [Google]
1482940265257.png
2MB, 575x1331px
Miles is, or was, the Spider-Man who took over for the last guy after he died; sort of like Miguel. Now that that's a moot point, he COULD be the Spider-man of a dead universe, but Bendis still wants to rehash old storylines.

Because let's face it: the only reason Ultimate Spider-Man was good was that Bendis was remixing old spider-man lore for the modern era.

He's still doing it now, only it doesn't work because this is not Peter, and he's in a different universe where the only thing making him special is his skin color.
>>
>>92343410
Miles has Ben's problem of not feeling like he's good enough.

He was supposed to be an opposite of Peter, someone afraid of his powers, with an uncle who's a bad influence, and very neurotic.

But Bendis forgot.
>>
He was the fanboy that could've save his hero and became his successor,his uncle Ben was Peter.That was an okay premise that never went anywhere and I'm not entirely sure if it's still valid but eh it's something
>>
Bendis really has failed Miles. And I guess Marvel is also partially to blame for not seeing this and giving the kid a better writer.
>>
>>92343642
we know barely anything about Miles origin and history now that he's 616, or what happened in that 8 month time skip after Secret Wars unfortunatly
>>
>>92343559
>it doesn't work because this is not Peter,
It doesn't work because he ruins his own stories by bending his ass to the editorial.
The best Miles stories are about his uncle, his team ups with Bombshell, Jessica, cloak and dagger (in the bendis' run, not fiffe's), his desire to drop the spider-man mantle, his deal with being the boyfriend of a hydra agent.
But everytime something interesting happens, it gets interrupted by an event. That Hydra girlfriend storyline was rushed and ruined when it had so much potential.
>>
>>92343629
What bothers me the most is how distant he still is towards his mom after she came back to life.

I mean, yeah, he could be trying to keep his distance so she doesn't die again, but isn't that how she died in the first place?
>>
>>92343410
>Is this really your argument here?
No, just listing off what makes the protags different. When you divorce Miles from the "HE BLACK AND STUFF" aspect, that's what you're left with.
>>
>>92343362
His uncle was a criminal and the reason he got his powers in the first place and his dad is a former SHIELD agent who's tried to help him out

Honestly there is some story potential in a young teenage superhero who doesn't have to hide his secret identity from his parents
>>
>>92343410
No, he meant that Miles only chracter trait is that both of his parents are alive. If it wasn't for that, then the other personality trait he has is that he is black spider-man. And not even that, he talks exactly like peter.
>>
>>92343699
I disagree with you about him dropping the mantle being a good story. Mostly because I get annoyed with how little agency he has toward being Spider-Man until someone yells at him and goes on about how Peter wouldn't give up.

Even when he was beginning, he didn't want to be Spider-man until Ganke said he should. He was going to stop being Spider-man until Gwen lectured him.

That's just a little gripe I have with the early Miles stories.I get that he's being Spider-Man because it's the responsible thing to do, but now that he's in a world with 4 (5? 6?) Spider-men, there doesn't seem to be a real need for him to be one if he doesn't want to.

And there's not much to suggest that he wants to be.
>>
>>92344025
>Mostly because I get annoyed with how little agency he has toward being Spider-Man until someone yells at him and goes on about how Peter wouldn't give up.
Oh no, I hated that part. I liked how he came to wanting to drop the mantle, the venom story.
God, I liked it how he wanted to drop the mantle as soon as his uncle died and there was gonna be a storyline about how Miles is taking the blame and Spider-man is a murdered, and it was quickly solved because they needed him in that stupid ultimate event when cap was president.
>>
I feel like we had this thread already. Is it deja vu? Or the same fags making the same fucking thread over and over again?hmmmm.
>>
>>92343362
Diversity.
>>
Miles has no appeal.

The other spiders are meant to be twisted reflections of Peter, as you pointed out. Miles isn't even a reflection, he's a shitty low quality jpeg of Peter.
>>
>>92343459
>>92343512
half black
>>
>>92344839
Dominican actually
>>
>>92343362
Miles would have been more interesting as a smart black kid trying to make it in a poor black school where all his peers deride him for acting white (getting good grades) while his teachers are extra vigilant about him missing classes because he's one of the few "this kid could make it" cases.
But he won the lottery to rich white people school, so fuck that I guess.
>>
>>92343763
He actually forgot about his time in Ultimate. He only feels as if something is off.
>>
>>92345228
We don't know that.

Bendis says that he remembers, but whether or not that's true is real, real vague

He said he didn't remember in Gwenpool, but he's shown remembering the Molecule man, and he told Venom that he didn't like Symbiotes.

The closest I could figure is that the few people that remember Battleworld told him not to tell anyone what happened.
>>
>>92343642
>He was the fanboy that could've save his hero and became his successor,his uncle Ben was Peter.

And the other thing is that his real uncle is a crook who isn't like Uncle Ben.

I think there really could've been some good ideas to come out of this. But the problem is Bendis' pacing got worse, the Ultimate line was getting fucked so it ended up affecting things.

Now that he's in 616 he needs more of a backstory but the problem is Bendis' pace won't get to it.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.