[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No Capeshit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 442
Thread images: 54

File: file.png (447KB, 599x380px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
447KB, 599x380px
Can we have an anti-capeshit general for people that love comics but find the entire superhero comic industry repugnant or maybe just want to talk about something other than a childish genre which devalues an entire medium?

>What good non-capeshit stuff have you been reading recently?

>Any recommendations for fellow intellectual adults that read comics?

Today I read Adrian Tomine's 'Killing and Dying', the poignancy of these little vignettes he's concocted is pretty astounding. A good consideration of balance seems to have been given regarding how much the dialogue and the pictures speak. They work in a sort of parallel harmony and one inhales as the other exhales. A charming and emotional read of mundane lives made fascinating.
>>
(you)
>>
>>92340480
>what good non-capeshit have you been reading recently

Finder: Third World
The Eternaut
>>
I've just started reading Absolute Sandman vol 1 having heard for years how it's GOAT but I'm immediately concerned by the amount of capefaggery in the opening chapters. Does it break off from this DC universe garbage soon and get good? I'm finding it so-so atm, I just finished the part where it introduces his sister.
>>
>>92340480
>recommendations

Sandman
Lucifer
Swamp-Thing by Alan Moore
Transmetropolitan
Finder
Eternaut
Edena
East of West
Habibi
Locke and Key (horror/lovecraftian)

i'll think of more in a minute
>>
>>92340578
oh, it definitely breaks off. keep reading
>>
>>92340592
Fable
Calvin and Hobbes
Skizz, D.R. and Quinch, Ballad of Halo Jones (all by Alan Moore)
S.C.U.D. the Disposable Assassin
The Unwritten
Low
Saga
Berlin
>>
>>92340480
There have been attempts at 'Indie Generals' before. They always fail because 'Non-Cape' leaves simply too large a variety of writers, genres, etc. to talk about while still keeping up a stable and focused discussion. Euro threads can work, threads about a single franchise like the Mignolaverse can work, but I've yet to see a thread on 'everything but the big 2' pick up steam.

But getting back on topic recently read the new World of Edena collection. The art is fantastic of course, but the story is pretty weak and generic once they actually get to Edena. Though I did enjoy the antics of the masked goons.
>>
>>92340709
Roche Limit
The Bus
>>
>>92340713
>third reply to OP
>this is a dead thread, guize

oh please
>>
File: 10064403.jpg (29KB, 424x281px) Image search: [Google]
10064403.jpg
29KB, 424x281px
>>92340480

You sound like the epitome of pic related OP, I have no idea why you'd think that anyone would be willing to have a discussion with you.
>>
My no-capeshit recommendations:

Preacher
From Hell
Button Man
Megg, Mogg & Owl
The Fade Out
Aliens: Salvation
Sin City
Andre the Giant
Ghost World
My Friend Dahmer
Leviathan
Like A Sniper Lining Up His Shot
Beautiful Darkness
Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant?
Crecy
American Spledour
Templar
Paying For It
also Dredd & Hellboy although I've seen some people lump them in with capeshit before

I probably have around 300 TPB's and I can count the capeshit on one hand.
>>
>>92340783
I'm not saying it's dead, just that this particular style of thread never really works as an actual discussion.

For example, so far all we've been doing is listing things we like.
>>
Old deadpool was great and that wasn't really "capeshit"
>>
>>92340480
>Today I read Adrian Tomine's 'Killing and Dying', the poignancy of these little vignettes he's concocted is pretty astounding. A good consideration of balance seems to have been given regarding how much the dialogue and the pictures speak. They work in a sort of parallel harmony and one inhales as the other exhales. A charming and emotional read of mundane lives made fascinating.

>being this pretentious about being an adult

You sound fucking insecure, man. Chill out.
>>
>>92340480
Why are all non-cape readers so pretentious and pompous? Go ahead and make a thread about your indie books. But do the impossible and try not to be a cunt about it. How about that?
>>
Is there any comics you own that you feel spoil your shelf and store them out of sight instead?

Mine are:
The Sculptor
The Walking Dead
Blankets
Habibi
Scott Pilgrim

Probably loads more but they're the first examples that spring to mind.
>>
You know, the biggest problem with non-capes in the 90's was exactly what your post is; just bitter whining about capes.

If you don't like capes, cool, but fuck off with this jealous crap. Enjoy comics instead of jerking off about how good your farts smell because you don't read cape comics.

>>92340882
The fuck are you talking about dude? Of course it was capeshit. It's superhero(es) fighting badguys and having adventures.
>>
Writing off capeshit is equally childish to sticking to it exclusively. Where do you draw the line? Is Black Orchid "acceptable"? What about The Vision? League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Shade the Changing Man? Howard the Duck? What about characters like Swamp Thing or Doctor Strange?
>>
>>92341036
>jealous
That's not a synonym for resent y'know.
>>
>>92340480
I love Killing and Dying. I always thought Optic Nerve was kind of weak, aside from issue 8, but once you hit issue 13 with Go Owls and Translated From The Japanese it's like magic. Tomine got hella good.

>What good non-capeshit stuff have you been reading recently?
I recently read Noah Van Sciver's Youth is Wasted. I think that's the best stuff I've read in a long time. I love Noah and he's one of the best out there right now. I also picked up a copy of The Eltingville Club and loved that too. Every single story has something that hits too close to home ad it's simultaneously humiliating and cathartic. OP you should definitely look at The Northwest Comix Collective story.

Plus a lot of Peanuts and Archie because I have a heart.
>>
>>92340861
>all we've been doing is listing things we like

and that's how people learn about new things
>>
>>92340592
>no Concrete
A travesty.
>>
>>92341066
A smart and rational human being can be open to comics that fall under the capeshit umbrella but aren't mired with the same old boring tropes that have been regurgitated for decades and elevate themselves beyond adult male fanfiction of franchises that ran their course decades ago.
>>
"Behold my boring existence" is the cancer killing indieshit.
>>
>>92341036
>The fuck are you talking about dude? Of course it was capeshit. It's superhero(es) fighting badguys and having adventures.
Deadpool isn't a superhero and the only superhero that appears is thor and tom cruz.
>>
>>92341214
Like superheroes, it's an over-saturated genre and there's a lot of clunkers in that category for sure, but there's a few gems among them made by talented people.
>>
>>92341193
>>92340592
I'd also add Stray Bullets,Y the Last Man, 100 Bullets, ontop of most of your list for stuff I've enjoyed.
>>
>>92341107
recommendation threads aren't good threads
>>
>>92341303
>Y the last man

thanks i forgot that one

>>92341323
fuck off shill
>>
>>92341341
they can all be summed up as
>what are some good comics
>here are some good comics
>ok thanks
thread end
>>
>>92341193
heard of it, haven't read it yet

or underwater welder for that matter. i'm concerned that it might be boring but i'll never know until i read it. i think jeff lemire wrote underwater welder so that might be a plus. jeff lemire is writing descender i think. i've only read the first 2 issues of descender and want to read more
>>
>>92341371
so fuck off already. leave.
>>
>>92341377
Jeff Lemire did indeed write Underwater Welder and Descender. I enjoyed Underwater Welder, it felt like a Twilight Zone episode in comic form. I haven't read Descender but if you enjoy his non-Superhero work I suggest reading Sweet Tooth as well.
>>
>>92340709
>>92340592
Depending on the run, Sandman and Swamp Thing are cape.
Also that one story arc of Fables.
>>
>>92340709
>>>>>>>>Fables
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Saga
throw in Walking Dead so you can be full-on indie pleb
>>
>>92341490
>Everyone's heard of it therefore it is common mediocrity
>>
>>92340480
Give me a link for it. This piece is hard to find.
>>
>>92341601
Fables turned to shit after the Empire was defeated.

Saga has always been carried by the art, and even then takes a sharp downturn after volume 1. BKV is a massively overhyped mediocre writer.
>>
>>92341377
Concrete is heavy on human condition themes, and does a pretty good job of speculating the reality and daily minutia of being an incidental human golem like Thing. And it's practically devoid of superheroics in favor of grounded action.
>>
>>92341654
Sorry, I don't have a link, I only read physical. I don't judge screen readers because I was one when I couldn't afford comics, but now I can I only read what I buy in print form.
>>
>>92341490
Persepolis
>>
>>92341807
no, Persepolis is actually good
>>
>>92341841
Part 1 is good, part 2 is the uninteresting teenhood of some cunty bore.
>>
>>92341841
It's good but you're kidding yourself if you think it isn't indie comics for plebs.
>>
>>92341862
>part 2 is the uninteresting teenhood of some cunty bore.
so an indie comic
>>
>>92340925
>Why are all non-cape readers so pretentious and pompous?
Doing something like disregarding an entire genre as worthless is something only small-minded people do. You literally will not find an anti-caper who has an informed interest in comics, it's an oxymoron. And this comes from someone who hasn't read the big two on a regular basis in like twenty years.
>>
File: tumblr_nye4b3Dkgb1s39ht8o4_1280.jpg (1MB, 1248x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nye4b3Dkgb1s39ht8o4_1280.jpg
1MB, 1248x1920px
>Godzilla in Hell
mmm
>>
>>92342112
>>92340925
>>92340836
Look at all this insecurity
>>
>too mature for superheroes
>uses the super mature term "capeshit"

??
>>
>>92342480
/tv/ has ruined this board
>>
>>92341066
He probably means shit like Batman and X-Men from the big 2.
>>
>>92342487
You mean all boards. I swear they're worse than /pol/.
>>
>>92340592
>East of West
Can I just say how this book has all the Hickman problems evident in his capeshit works turned up to 11? Useless character whose existence is justified only by them being "cool and badass" for 2 panels? Check. Characters are only there to provide exposition? Check. Characters only talk in philosophy and exposition? Check. Ideas about society and status quo but not a single human character and perspective? Check.
It honestly really surprises me why Hickman is so popular. Either he is just the ultimate writer for pseudo intellectuals or people just never actually reflect upon his works.
>>
>>92342567
Nobody's worse than /pol/.
>>
>>92342621
/pol/ doesn't even count as 4chan, they're basically just a subreddit.
>>
>>92342555
but that writes off TDKR and Year One at the very least, more if you don't have impossibly high standards
>>
File: e2216ad18674dc16423edd318f42a587.jpg (290KB, 716x1052px) Image search: [Google]
e2216ad18674dc16423edd318f42a587.jpg
290KB, 716x1052px
>>92340480
Pic related is fantastic as well as the nobody
>>
>>92342599
>Can I just say how this book has all the Hickman problems evident in his capeshit works turned up to 11?
The thing with Hickman is that even though his stuff has all these scientific and philosophical themes you actually have to turn your brain off for it. It is all just there as window dressing. Once I did that I started liking East of West. Black Monday Murders is a lot better anyway, so far at least.
>>
File: we3.jpg (504KB, 800x1242px) Image search: [Google]
we3.jpg
504KB, 800x1242px
This mini still gets to me.
>>
File: 100-bullets1.jpg (112KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
100-bullets1.jpg
112KB, 630x420px
>>92340480
I know Azzarello gets a lot of shit but 100 bullets is one of my favorite series
>>
The discussion of Korean webcomics belongs do /co/?

I haven't seen any, I guess maybe because the seem more related to anime, but they don't want it on /a/ because it isn't japanese.

I have some of them that I read that are not "capeshit", if it counts.
>>
>>92342730
Yeah East of West is really rule of cool concept with badass characters prepped up as some sort of philosophical musings into the look of how society works with all these different political and social ideology. What doesn't work is every character is a high school philosophy graduate who preaches his ideology at every turn and book never really let's reader engage on any level whatsoever. The plot is pretty much telling us what needs to happen and characters are really just mouthpieces. I really think Hickman was forced by his editors to write all the family and relatable stuff in F4.
Another problem for me is the world building in his works are just so artificial. All that said though, I do find his work entertaining, I'm just baffled that how many people think his work is witty or Hickman is the best and most intelligent writer.
>>
>>92342792
I saw a discussion on my Twitter the other day where people were discussing which writers were going to be the next biggest thing in comics and his name really came up a lot. Other names were Loeb and JMS.
>>
>>92343086
>Loeb
>JMS
are these people living in 1998
>>
>>92343131
They were pushed really hard though and both failed spectacularly. What are some recent examples? Soule?
>>
>>92343231
They didn't fail though. Their stuff from 10+ years ago still sells well in trade even today.

Examples of today are probably Soule, Ewing, Spencer, Orlando.
>>
>>92343292
Just because they had success doesn't mean they didn't fail. They never became the next big thing in comics.
>>
>>92343480
are you high? Loeb WAS the big thing for years
>>
>>92343544
Everyone thought he was, especially Marlel. Then they saw his output, then they realized he was always a hack carried by good artist.
>>
>>92343579
right, which is why they fired him instead of promoting him to head of Marvel Television

OH
WAIT
>>
>>92343612
Yes, there are loads of people that are going in to comic shops and asking for a comics by his name.

Oh.
Wait.
>>
>>92342737
That scientist lady who released them was a dumb fuckin sociopathic bitch
>>
File: Burns.jpg (356KB, 874x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Burns.jpg
356KB, 874x1200px
>>92340480
Recommendation: ANY comic by Charles Burns
>>
>>92343671
Long Halloween and Hush are probably two of the biggest babby's first Batman out there
>>
File: Woodring.jpg (483KB, 524x800px) Image search: [Google]
Woodring.jpg
483KB, 524x800px
>>92340480
Recommendation: the FRANK comics by Jim Woodring
>>
>>92341664
>turned to
Fables was always shit.
>>
File: Rosa.jpg (127KB, 768x555px) Image search: [Google]
Rosa.jpg
127KB, 768x555px
>>92340480
Recommendation: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF SCROOGE MCDUCK by Don Rosa
>>
>>92343480
JMS doesn't just write comics and he never wanted to exclusively do that. He got bis big start on tv and is now back to tv.
>>
>>92343717
People read it because it's Batman, not because they think Jeph Loeb wrote it. Pointless argument.
>>
>>92343820
I know, but he was still pushed as the next big thing, DC gave him Superman and WW and Earth One, he never delivered on the promise.
>>
God country is really new but pretty amazing so far. Alziemers feels... old man who's disease is tearing his sons family apart gets a sword that retores his mind and memories. So he refuses to give it back
>>
>>92343292
Tom king. His Batman is a disspointment but he is going to do a New Gods book that may be good cause it's his choice
>>
>>92342792
Does he? He has a bunch of stuff that's obviously done just 'cause he needed the money, but most of his comics are above average to very good.
>>
>>92343985
all five Wonder Woman fans were really butthurt about his run

and that Joker OGN he did was kind of shit
>>
>>92344018
What? His Wonder Woman run was great, and as far as I know, it sold well enough throughout the whole run (and did pretty well in trades too). I bet it was just a few morons in tumblr and /co/ complaining about her not being made of clay.

Haven't read Joker yet though, but didn't it win awards and shit? Not saying that it's good just because it won awards, but that he doesn't "get a lot of shit" like the post I was replying to said.
>>
>>92344223
it was great, but people whined because it basically tossed out everything about Wonder Woman's canon, to a much larger degree than other New 52 runs did
>>
>>92344223
>>92344248
NO CAPESHIT!!!
>>
>>92343715
Aaah. I found this one really freaky when someone story timed it. Not bad though.

Has anyone here read Castle Waiting by Linda Medley?
>>
>>92344352
stfu, we're having an actual comic book chat here for once.
>>
>>92343762
Fables had a good run for the first 50 or so issues, but it did decline. It even managed to ruin the climax of The Unwritten
>>
Has anyone read Brubackers Fatale, Fade Out, and Velvet? Thinking of picking them up.

Going to order Prophet soon.
>>
>>92343820
He still does some comic stuff though, he still does little creator owned things for Image that are good even though no one reads them. I don't think he's a great writer but he's smart and is a good plotter. I think he needs someone to script for him though.
>>
>>92344728
Fade Out is the best of those, all are solid Brubaker though.
>>
File: maggie.jpg (435KB, 825x1024px) Image search: [Google]
maggie.jpg
435KB, 825x1024px
>>92340480
I hadn't read comics since I was a kid, then 5 years ago I borrowed the first Love and Rockets Locas volume (Maggie the Mechanic) from the library. After that I read all the L&R I could find then kept reading other stuff.

I do like some cape stuff, though it's mostly 70s/80s - Moore's Swamp Thing run was the next series that hooked me after L&R.

The best no-cape book I read recently is The Fade Out - I liked Fatale, Criminal and Velvet too, but Fade Out is even better. Amongst current series, Shade the Changing Girl is great (might be considered cape if you're being strict about things).
>>
File: 1423039065372.jpg (14KB, 217x233px) Image search: [Google]
1423039065372.jpg
14KB, 217x233px
>>92340480

>Can we have an anti-capeshit general for people that love comics but find the entire superhero comic industry repugnant or maybe just want to talk about something other than a childish genre which devalues an entire medium?

Fuck you and your hipster-tier opinions. I'd just leave this thread alone but if we had a pro-cape comics thread it would be filled with people shitting on cape comics.

So no. You don't get to have this thread.

>yfw making this fucking thread.
>>
>>92343985
>He has a bunch of stuff that's obviously done just 'cause he needed the money
He is one of those writers who only people who exclusively read big two hate, along with Jason Aaron
>>
>>92344728
Fade Out was really good, especially if you like any of those "seedy underbelly of Hollywood" stories. I kinda wish it was a bit longer honestly, though it's short length puts it above Fatale in my opinion.
>>
>>92344909
>>92345132
>>92344968
Thanks, I think i'll pick up Fade Out first, Fatale a bit later.
>>
>>92344614
I read those issues. They were bad.
>>
>>92343800
Helluva read right here. Don Rosa is Quality.

>>92344614
I could never figure out how Fables got so much acclaim. I couldn't get into it. It managed to be mundane even when """""shit was going down""""" and overall reeks of empty gimmick.
>>
>>92345068
Why exactly? I think he's decent, though not the first or even tenth name I ever look out for.
>>
>>92344892
No doubt he is better at plotting. Really i think he needs to find a good editor or collaborator to sift through his ideas and shoot down his bad ones. He can do good dialogue, his Perry White was better than i have seen anyone write him and his Thor was great.
>>
>>92344968
Libraries are fantastic for reading comics, especially if you want to read back catalogues. I'm lucky cause at my local library the guy who does the ordering is a hige sword and sorcery buff. So there are more Conan and Red Sonja than even X-men. And it had all the Northlanders trades by Wood.

What's great at libraries is you can even order in stuff, so hard to find stuff is usually avaliable. Just wait a week for them to get it shipped to them and you can start reading.
>>
>>92340480
>I read picture books but have the desperate need to feel superior by disparaging the superhero comics

Neck yourself
>>
>>92344544
I love Castle Waiting. Nice and comfy slice of life comics are surprisingly hard to come by.
>>
File: Monstress_Vol1-1.png (374KB, 585x900px) Image search: [Google]
Monstress_Vol1-1.png
374KB, 585x900px
The Art is Amazing, but I don't know what the fuck is going on while reading it.
>>
>>92345538
What don't you get? It's just a high fantasy world. If you need the history lessons they are in the back of each issue by professor Tams. It's my second favorite ongoing, first going to Seven to Eternity
>>
>>92345538
Really? The plot is pretty straightforward. It's only a step or two away from being a pretty generic shounen anime plot, actually. Though I do remember getting mixed up on who belonged to what faction once or twice. I'm pretty much just buying at as an art book.
>>
>>92345526
take a nap, kiddo.
>>
Love Sky Doll and the art enough that I've been tempted to buy a couple of the creators' books that haven't been translated and try to plod through them with my knowledge of Spanish and google translate. Thank The Papess we're getting Sudra in English, at least.

Also, Sandy Blue is the best obscure waifu out there.
>>
>>92343759
fuck hate these kind of comics, like R Crumb and ralph bakshi. people think "adult" has to be weird and edgy. literally makes me want to vomit.
>>
>>92345064
lol okay, bitch.
>>
I ordered Archie vol 1 and 2. Any other good slice of life comics you can recommend? I like comfy stuff.
>>
>>92345742
Sky Doll is fucking fantastic. I am only missing the 2nd trade in english. Sudra was fantastic but i thought that was only a 2 issue run. Hopefully Titan keeps translating them. I'm actually liking Titan right now

>>92345660
It's becoming less generic as it goes i think. The dead god island issue was fantastic
>>
>>92345795
Go to bed, nothing edgy about that
>>
Surprised nobody has mentioned yet.
>>
>>92342112
I'm an anti caper and while I can appreciate the longevity and evolution of these characters overtime, the reality is that nature leaves them very oversatured and subject to trends in the market much more than a random one off. I have trades of many runs that I like or are regarded as important, but the reality is, when compared to their non-cape counterpart, cape books are shit.
>>
>>92342706
Underwater welder is gettin a movie woowoo
>>
Truly the best comic book. Miss when it'd get storytimed what felt like every other week along with I kill giants.

God damned shame I can't get my hands on a copy of city of glass. Shits out of print and no book shops around me have one, thank god for the Internet I guess
>>
File: corsican cheese.png (567KB, 602x568px) Image search: [Google]
corsican cheese.png
567KB, 602x568px
>>92346441
Asterix too.

I need to buy more of these books, haven't read some of them in years.
>>
>>92346564
The Paul Auster book? Amazon in my country has it, is it good?
>>
>>92346715
It's a comic book adaptation by mazzucchelli of Austers book and if you enjoyed Asterios Polyp I'd reckon you'll enjoy City of Glass too
>>
>>92345708
No he's right. OP sounds like Patrick Bateman describing Huey Lewis and that "childish genre which devalues an entire medium" is the basis for the highest grossing film franchise in history. Either enjoy your picture books or go read the actual classics if appearing intelligent is that important to you, but trying to have your cake and eat it too by taking lame potshots at others just makes you look needy.
>>
>>92346927
Big Macs sell, doesn't make McDonalds a Michelin star restaurant.
>>
>>92341107
No it really isn't, most people don't look at somebody's contextless pull list of titles that mean nothing and learn anything new from it. It's like saying if we were to list our favorite novel series, everybody would inevitably come out with new reads.
>>
>>92346927
I assume it was done that way for (You)s. I read both cape and non-cape, but most comics discussion is about capes so I'll take the non-cape discussion when I can get it.
>>
>>92344728
>>92344909

Some people, also being Brubaker fans didn't seem to like it at one point.. I never saw the problem though its a solid book by him and phillips and it reminds me alot of the kind of themes from LA Confidential which is one of my all time favorite movies.

the collected edition doesn't have the essay at the end every issue like the floppies so see if you can get the torrent of it just to read that back section, theyre really cool additions to the book.
>>
>>92347069

Most comics discussion here isn't even about comics its about bullshit tv shows and movies that are overrated for what they really are.

Or its about 'outrage' crap like bitching about tweets from big two writers or shitposting about the latest marvel event.

Threads like this, and shelf threads, and the ones about actual comics are a rarity here now, which fucking blows.
>>
For people who have read From Hell, do I need the companion?
>>
I don't understand how people manage to read From Hell.

The lettering is just so ugly.
>>
>>92347166
I think the trades have the essays, at least from what I remember
>>
>>92346564
Great GN, but the ending kinda betrays the rest of the book.
>>
>>92340480
Is it THAT hard to start a thread for something you like without denigrating other sub-genres?
>>
>>92347500
The companion is like making of dvd extras, it's very optional but interesting if you love the comic.
In From Hell itself there's an appendix at the back, I do recommend reading flipping to the appendix for a chapter after you finish reading said chapter.
>>
>>92340480
>the poignancy of these little vignettes he's concocted is pretty astounding

You sound like one of those stupids books they made us read back in grade school, yet somehow more pretentious and full of shit.
>>
>>92348147
Alrighty, thanks.
>>
Random opinions:
Megahex is a good time.
Patience is the limpest dick excuse for a time travel story I have ever seen. Further, vaguely uncomfortable looking manniquins absent of all but the barest hint of personality don't really make for compelling characters. Liefield does it better.

I've got a couple of recs,
Werewolf by Night is pretty good for its entire run; master of Kung Fu, as well. Doug Moench is almost always solid.
I like Segar, Barks, Herge, Crumb and Caniff, quite a bit, but fuck you guys, I'm going to read some ditko Spider-Man.
>>
>>92347069
Sure, me too, but plenty of non-cape shit blows and gets a pass just because it isn't capes.
>>
>>92341214
That and movie-pitch sci-fi stories.
>>
>>92341377
Underwater Welder is great. His recent GN Roughneck is really good as well, though not quite to the same degree.
Lemire's stuff captures Canada better than any other writer's.
>>
>>92350984
I really liked Sweet Tooth. Read it here and bought all three of the HCs.
It is my headcannon prequel to Kamandi.
>>
>>92350868
Yeah, stuff like The Sculptor gets acclaim from reputable sources because it's a comic that ISNT about superheroes? How novel!
>>
>>92350984

Someone (think it might have been Dan) storytimed Essex County at one point and I ended up reading the whole thing hungover and smoking cigs on a Sunday morning.. it was so fucking good, the Canadian feels..

I'm always looking for it at the used bookstore, i want the paperback version, all worn with curled pages, loved by someone else before. (also cheap)
>>
>>92353829
As long as people like Tucker Stone still tear comics like The Sculptor to shreds, there still exists some hope for this world.
>>
>>92354189
>Essex County
That book is so shit. I really like the atmospheric art but stories are really cheap. They're designed as emotionally provocative but they're actually just emotionally manipulative garbage.
>>
Maybe in future threads like this could be divided by genre? Like a horror thread, a comedy thread, a sword and sorcery thread, a boring whiney autobiography thread, a classics thread etc.
>>
>>92354189
>used bookstore
I was going to say, you can find tons of copies at nearly any Chapter/Coles/Indigo
>>
>>92343800
It is wild how deep the Scrooge McDuck mythos is. This tertiary Disney character is a titan of comics.
>>
File: 1489253489246.jpg (115KB, 1080x1111px) Image search: [Google]
1489253489246.jpg
115KB, 1080x1111px
>>92340480
This is a really really really bad post.
>>
File: 67c3326108df31c22cf63044bc10b2cf.jpg (493KB, 1034x792px) Image search: [Google]
67c3326108df31c22cf63044bc10b2cf.jpg
493KB, 1034x792px
I love Daniel Clowes, I just wish his comics had more reaction images.
>>
>>92345064
Why are you cape fans so insecure? Your favorite genre completely dominates the market. You shouldn't be so sensitive about people criticizing it.

Also calling people who dislike superhero comics hipsters is like saying anyone who reads anything other than romance novels is a hipster. God forbid anyone enjoy other genres.
>>
>>92345795
Sorry not everything is an upbeat, juvenile pure narrative about people punching bad guys.
>>
>>92350682
Clowes sucks yeah. His characters all feel lifeless.
Megg Mogg and Owl is fantastic. I know people who live like that.
>>
File: BoxOfficePoison04.jpg (232KB, 550x874px) Image search: [Google]
BoxOfficePoison04.jpg
232KB, 550x874px
>>92345847
>Any other good slice of life comics you can recommend?

Have you read classic Archie? The digests still have a fair bit of the good older stuff (especially World of Archie), and there's various cheap books of around 400 pages that collect the old comics too.

Jaime Hernandez. His Locas TPBs from #2 (The Girl from H.O.P.P.E.R.S.) onwards are mostly realistic, and focus a lot on relationships (the first volume has quite a lot of SF).

Alex Robinson's Box Office Poison. There's the original B&W series and colour reprints are underway at the moment.

Daniel Clowes' Ghost World. A lot of his work is surreal, but this one's fairly grounded.
>>
>>92360448

alot of the people here, and on /tv/ and on /v/ really like putting one thing against another then screeching about it when you simply suggest its ok to like a varied amount of different stuff, even, god forbid comics with superheros...or Clowes style slice of life indie stuff.... or wait someone can like both!?!? *anons brain fucking explodes*

I've found its that sizeable chunk of posts on this board with all the retards in it that feel this way.
>>
>>92342114
good taste
>>
This is a nice slice of life comic.
I had no idea it had a TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01BOWs4ebME
>>
>>92342450
the only one insecure is the op, who feel the need to insult others genres, to justify reading the comics he like.
>>
File: web1_170322-SEA-Thumb-Cult-FIRE.jpg (112KB, 847x564px) Image search: [Google]
web1_170322-SEA-Thumb-Cult-FIRE.jpg
112KB, 847x564px
Peter Bagge has been doing biographical stuff lately. Currently reading Fire!!

It has been good, though at the end he goes into end note fever. It's the one trait of Chester Brown that people should not copy.
>>
I have one substantial question, guys. Maybe more than one.
What separates capeshit from other comics?
>>
>>92364756
capeshit=thing I don't like
>>
>>92364812
Okay, when I said capeshit, I meant bad superheroics.
If we consider Hellboy a superhero, then superheroics can be good.
Therefore, I ask what defines bad superheroics or what is annoying cliches and tropes are in this genre.
>>
>>92364756
I would think capeshit also includes anything taking place in a superhero universe, meaning Swamp Thing, Constantine, and Sandman don't belong here, but there's gonna be disagreement obviously. There's also supernatural stuff that skirts the line, and since superhero stuff is the market majority, it inevitably dives into "alternative" subject matters as well. Lots of gray lines.
>>
>>92346714
Goscinny era Asterix is one of the best comic books ever, as well as Goscinny Lucky Luke. That's because Goscinny was fucking awesome.
>>
>>92348147
Yeah, I did this and made it so much more enjoyable. The best thing is the epilogue though, Dance of the Gull Catchers. It's what turned a very interesting and engrossing, but somewhat disappointing book (I thought Moore's theory on the identity of Jack interesting but pretty far fetched, as well as many of the other implications he made around the case) into an all time favorite.

Also did anyone else have any issues with Campbell's faces? I love the extreme care he took in portraying the era accurately and all, but I couldn't tell who many of the characters were until somebody mentioned their name in the dialogue. Specially with the ladies.
>>
>>92365245
>I thought Moore's theory on the identity of Jack interesting but pretty far fetched, as well as many of the other implications he made around the case
Didn't Moore try to find the most outlandish theory he could find on Jack the Ripper, and then worked to make it feasible?
>>
>>92365514
I don't remember reading him talking about it in those terms, but even if that was the case, it kinda felt to me like a wasted opportunity to do something more interesting, that is until that epilogue which brings everything into a new light.
What I felt about it, by reading the notes and such, is that Moore kinda changed his mind several times as he found new information as he went along, and while trying to keep the original meant narrative, he also tried to work in some more things into it, and he certainly did a great work about it.
At any rate, it's a fucking brilliant comics, and no matter how much one sometimes wants to hate Alan Moore for some of his opinions, the man is one of the greatest of all time, without a doubt.
>>
is there any writers like Ware? I've been making my way through Acme Novelty Library and its been tearing me apart, really great stuff.
>>
I think Tim Hensley, Leslie Stein, Noah Van Sciver, Tom Gauld, Chester Brown, Jason, Cathy Malkasian and Nate Powell are the best cartoonists alive
any recommendations for stuff like them?
>>
>>92368255
>>92368301
Fantagraphics, Drawn & Quarterly, Picturebox (RIP), AdHouse, Koyama Press and Pantheon have plenty of other creators like them.
>>
>>92340480
Does The Sandman, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, The Books of Magic, and Lucifer count as capeshit? Although they take place in the DCU they aren't about Super Heroes.
>>
Just a quick drive by recommendation mixed with thoughts on the works I'm talking about.
100 Bullets is a good time, some dope ass prose. Even though the art really isn't for me, I'm not an SJW who thinks all women should have to wear turtlenecks or 'muh sexism', but for the love of god could they draw a woman that isn't tall, busty, and thin. I legitimately would sometimes have trouble distinguishing the female characters. It's still a good comic, that just annoyed the hell out of me.

303 by Garth Ennis is one of those that if you like Ennis you'll probably enjoy, but it doesn't really offer anything unique from him. It's pretty much him just telling you how much he fucking hates George Bush, which he's done like 15 times now.

AD After Death is one I just finished and it's fucking brilliant. The Prose by Snyder is untouchable and the art has some fantastic use of color. The story is genuinely heart wrenching and it's one of the best comics I've read in along time.

Black Science rides that fine line of pulp and emotional storytelling. It manages to always feel like a classic sci fi pulp story, but lifts itself above the genre in terms of both writing and character. You really feel for these people and damn if it doesn't feel believable (the characters that is).

The Boys is probably Ennis' best ending to a series. I think as a whole it's not as good as preacher, but Billy Butcher is the best iteration of him struggling with the concept of toxic masculinity vs his love for violence.

DMZ is the best political commentary this side of Transmetropolitan in comics. Heavily influenced by 9.11 and it wears that influence on its sleeve. Some of the best serial storytelling you'll find.

Seven to Eternity is fucking great with some fantastic art (great usage of purple) and an almost western feel to it. While still having a fantastic sci fi aesthetic with a story that I can't wait to keep up with.

If there's any interest I can post more thoughts and recommendations.
>>
Capefags btfo
>>
>>92346501
kys
>>
>>92346927
>or go read the actual classics
like Sandman, Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Kabuki, Metabarons, etc? Just cause /lit/ says comics aren't literature doesn't make it so. Sandman is even taught in universities now
>>
>>92369710
>Seven to Eternity
if you like that, pick up Monstress and may God Country. Similar enough but different enough to be enjoyed side by side. Be warned, all come out at the same time. 3rd Wednesday of the month are 1/2 my monthly comics pull
>>
>>92342792
Sadly, it didn't live up in the later half.
>>
>>92343086
I don't know what people even saw in Loeb. JMS is a big hit or miss.
>>
>>92343292
Lemire too. His early work was great, then he started writing mediocre shit like Descender and all his Cape stuff.
>>
>>92353829
I haven't read the Sculptor but I'm okay with it or Clowes getting some acclaim even though I don't like Clowes much and that's because they actually try to do something different. Garbage like Seven To Eternity, Monstress, Saga are just "disguised capeshit", stupid action-y stuff for people that love genrefiction.
>>
>>92364756
Capeshit=DC, Marvel and Image aka badly written schlock.
>>
>>92371041
>all his Cape stuff
Animal Man and Moon Knight are great. It's a problem with editors giving him things he isn't suited for

>>92371042
So Lord of the Rings is capeshit to you? fuck off
>>
>>92345064
Shut the fuck up and stop derailing this thread
>>
Heard a lot about Kabuki, anyone here read it?
>>
>>92371135
Lord of The Rings is genrefiction, you imbecile.
>>
Why all the hate for Clowes? I liked his Ghost World, Ice Haven and like a velvet glove. Off course, not everything of his is great, but that can be said for every writer.
>>
>>92344728
Prophet is the shit man, I still need to get Earth War
>>
>>92371224
Because he's the most famous indie cartoonist despite being just... okay. Like, I don't hate Ghost World, but it's nothing special. Death Ray too was just okay and Wilson was crap.
>>
>>92340480
Killing and Dying is absolute shit compared to Daniel Clowes' output. The only story worth a damn is the baseball one, and the slow start to the one where the mother is dying of cancer. Tomine has this amazing ability to ruin every one of his short stories either through making a long story too short or a short story too long, he has no real idea of tension and worse no idea how to pace out his story.
>>
>>92371283
Tomine shits all over Clowes.
>>
>>92340480
indieshit is so bad I can't even get a tv series
why capekino is better than your shit?
>>
>>92371393
Tomine is for people too stupid or too prudish to enjoy Clowes. He's heavily inspired by Clowes style of writing but doesn't understand that through absurdism to expose a depth to the mundanity of being American.

Tomine writes boring stories to show that life is boring.
>>
>>92371193
I have read the first 3 volumes and Dreams. It is fucking amazing but I'm not sure much of /co/ would like it besides Vol 3 which is more traditional story telling.

Volume 1 is a DEEP dive into japanese culture and history. It's black and white and packed with easter eggs. You can re-read it a dozen times and find symbolism in the art. But besides that the story is very heart felt and brutal. 10/10 book

Volume 2 is introspective 'high art/new age art' stuff. Again, rereading it gives you a lot of new perspectives. It's basically just the girl, Kabuki, alone or with a psychiatrist and about identity issues. This would be hit or miss with many /co/ reader but I think it's the best comic ever written, not exaggerating at all. I actually cry when reading it cause it's very...true to the creator. David Mack lost his mother when he was young so this is him trying to understand it and what it did to him. 12/10 book

Vol 3 follows two different characters as they try to deal with the fallout of Vol 1. Back to black and white. solid characterization, art and story. But it doesn't have the heart of 1 or 2. 8.5/10 IMO. But is the easiest to read, much more straight forward

Only read Dreams after that. Dream is basically an art book following the idea of Vol 2. It's more poetry than story, and is an artistic vision of what's going on in Kabuki's unconsious mind. another 12/10 book, but don't go in expecting a story, it's just a dreamscape.
>>
>>92340578
It gets better when you realize you want more Endless family time. Which is soon on. It's heavy with dialogue so I wouldn't recommend skimming it, you have to be in the right mindset.
>>
>>92371464
Clowes is for stupid people. Period.
>>
>>92364056
goddamn malays
>>
>>92371620
Wow, thank you for the reply. I think i'll pick up the first volume and give it a go.
>>
File: 1370744-1281659695.jpg (67KB, 835x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1370744-1281659695.jpg
67KB, 835x1280px
>>92340480
Am I the only person who likes this comic?
>>
>>92369710
>AD After Death
Did this book have more of a philosophical take on the subjects of life and death or is it Snyder's usual everything is great until the stupid twist comes in series? I recently read Harmony by Project Itoh and I was looking for something similar and this seemed like it. I'm still going to finish it and reviews did say it makes you think a lot, just wanted to get your opinion.
>>
>>92371281
I thought Ware was much more popular and acclaimed?
>>
>>92372030
I sure hope so. What a piece of shit.
>>
>>92372114
Nah.
>>
>>92372118
It's okay if it was too complicated for you I can explain it to you son.
>>
>>92343890
To be fair, those were all written while going blind.
>>
>>92372165
>Spencer
>""""""""complicated""""""""
>>
I was trying to remember this one European comic. It has one of those Vertigo-esqu surrealist cover and is about a man caught for murder or something. It's fairly popular on /co/ too.
>>
>>92372197
Don't bully Spencer pls there are no capes here to rescue him.
>>
File: I came here to laugh at you.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
I came here to laugh at you.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
>>92372165
>complicated
>>
>>92372367
>Implying it wasn't
>>
>>92372407
For a small mind perhaps.
>>
>>92372243
can you be more vague? I think I may know what comic you mean if you drop some of the description
>>
File: 4390351-43.jpg (137KB, 416x640px) Image search: [Google]
4390351-43.jpg
137KB, 416x640px
>>92372428
You're being a total Ike right now.
>>
>>92371042
> I'm okay with people praising shit, as long as it's not genre fiction.
Yeah. I need to gtfo this board.
>>
>>92372455
I never read it completely, just a little bit during a storytime. The guy then starts remembering things from the past morning. The cover was red.
>>
>>92372645
I would happily leave today if I only had somewhere else to go.
>>
>>92373532
I was just thinking that, anon.
>>
>>92372072
I can't really say in comparison to his other work as this is the first work by Snyder I've ever read, so I can't help you there. I thought it was a brilliant take on life, death, and aging. A subject I'm very close to as I'm a home care aid. There is a twist, that while I wasn't surprised by, I was still very affected by, excellently done and really hits you like a ton of bricks, whether expecting it or not.
>>
How about some Jordo?

Probably no one will agree with me on this, but I though Son of the Gun was better than Metabarons. Love Metabarons and it has better art but the story in Son of the Gun does the incest and religious iconography better.
>>
>>92372645
People praise shit regardless. I'd rather see something that's meh get praised over utter fucking shit. Clowes is not shit, just incredibly overrated. But sure, leave, you won't be missed. Bet you don't really have the balls to leave though.
>>
>>92373871
I find Jodo to be incredibly boring. I read the Incal and it was boring. White Lama was terrible.
>>
>>92373966
what's boring about it? It's packed with stuff. You can have many criticisms about his work but boring is not one I can understand. Every thing he does has layers and layers if ideas.
>>
>>92373871
Son of the Gun is my favorite Jodo work. Bess is an amazing artist and the use of color was really great. Loved all those reds and oranges. It feels a lot like El Topo in narrative structure which I liked.
>>
>>92373871
I like the Incal and Metabarons, been considering getting Son of Gun and Bouncer for a while.
>>
What are some good existentialist writers in both capeshit and indieshit?
>>
>>92373936
Patience is pure shit anon. Not overrated, just shit.
>>
>>92375006
About half of all small press books deal with existentialism, either metaphorically or literally.
Duncan the Wonderdog, Mimi and the Wolves, anything by DeForge or Kochalka, just to name the few that jump right to mind.
>>
>>92372030
Probably, there were a lot of people who kept reading it once it turned to shit just because they were invested and wanted to see what happened, but I don't think they actually still liked it.
>>
>>92374528
Huh. Here I thought I was the only one on /co/ with that idea. The colour pallet really does wonders to the story.

>>92374825
Do it, it's got all his great ideas but condenses them more than his other stories. I love his sprawling metabarons universe but Son of the Gun is a short and specific story that works very well.
>>
Does anyone know about this comic I saw at the library once?
It had to do with a lion mask, a boy, and I think a therapist
>>
>>92375423
Mother Come Home
>>
>>92369710
DMZ is honestly the best piece of media about the War on Terror.
>>
What is /co/'s final opinion about that new pseudo-Vertigo imprint curated by the MCR fag?
>>
>>92375696
DC thought that a gimmick rebranding was enough to get people to buy C-list characters with C-list creative teams but no one fell for it.
>>
>>92375696
>>92375797
still better than all the garbage Image shits out. :^)
>>
>>92375797
>>92375859
But is it good or not?
>>
>>92375960
Shade and Doom Patrol are great, Cave Carson is decent, and Mother Panic is ok. Bug is fun.
>>
>>92375506
Holy fuck thank you
>>
>>92372114
Ware ism ore likely to be featured in museums, while Clowes has more newspapers/blogs posting about him
>>
File: Hellboy reboot contro.png (21KB, 579x259px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy reboot contro.png
21KB, 579x259px
lol
>>
>>92376655
Everyone knows that Jeffrey Tambor is a memer.
>>
File: Hellboy.png (322KB, 1288x800px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy.png
322KB, 1288x800px
>>92376772
>>
>>92376528
So Ware is for actual art intellectuals while Clowes is for hipsters pretending to be art intellectuals.
>>
>>92377108
Del Toro is horrendously overrated, fuck that fat weeb.
>>
>>92377907
Nah, Ware is for when you forget to do a presentation and you need some last minute pie charts for your power point.
>>
>>92340940
You can give Blankets (lol, man) and Scott Pilgrim to a tween a d they'll dig it. Although they'd be better off with Claremont, imo.
I loaned out my copy of the first Walking Dead compendium. I was really pissed when the dude brought it back.
>>
>>92375696
Shade The Changing Girl and Doom patrol are two of only a handful of mainstream(DC, Marvel, Image, Dark Horse...) comics I actually like. Shade is actually my favorite. With that said, Mother Panic and Cave Carson are just okayish and Bug sucked.
>>
>>92342599
>Ideas about society and status quo but not a single human character and perspective?

I know this is a non-capeshit thread, but this is exactly why I could never get into his Avengers run when I had it recommended (this was not long before Secret Wars and people were hyping that shit up).

Someone said that I'd like it since I like Morrison (Multiversity was coming out at the time), but Hickman's schtick was complex without either the wacky creativity or humanity of Morrison. It's just convoluted.

Sorry for talking about capeshit, I've been reading Carl Barks' Donald Duck/Uncle Scrooge stuff and loving it lately.
>>
File: image.jpg (264KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
264KB, 960x720px
>>92380240
>don't worry capes bump the thread.
I liked his FF and Avengers stuff. I don't mistake it for being deep or anything, but trying for depth and failing is part of the unintentional charm of capes, at least for me. I like a heavy dose of pseudo-intellect in my fighty tighties from time to time. I thought everyone hated his capework anyway for being full of ooc moments or something?

Anyway, have any of you read pic related? It is a fantastic adaption and probably my favorite version of my favorite HPL story.
>>
>>92342114
god tier taste, Stokoe is a god.
>>
>>92346478
Hardly, there are quite a few bad non-cape comics as well. The reality is that you can't generalize here because there's good to be found in both.
>>
>>92369710
>Even though the art really isn't for me

>Hating on Risso

That's why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>92371042
>A comic fan hating on genre fiction

This is like watching the SJWs eating each other.
>>
>>92381552
What a retarded thing to say.
>>
Anybody read this? I remember the story being kinda cliche, with a very obvious twist you could see coming from the second page but the atmosphere was so great that I fucking loved it.
>>
>>92381847
Ah, fuck, I meant this
>>
>>92381840
Why do you think it's retarded? I think it's pretty much the same. Both overlap quite a lot, and are usually denigrated by the same snobby intellectual establishment, but here you have trying to be even snobbier among themselves.
It's pretty much like watching those assholes trying to be more offended than the other.
>>
>>92340578
Basically, Gaiman had an idea, but execs made him include these guys until it became clear that Sandman could stand on its own.
>>
>>92380064
No Flintstones?
>>
>>92381933
This. Genre fic doesn't mean pulp. There is tons of good sci fi like asimov. Intelligent comics like Orbiter. And art books like Kabuki.

Genre is a false catagory
>>
>>92381933
Because it's retarded, generalizing is also retarded.
>>
>>92381355
Yeah, for me it's not 'capes are bad, indies are good,' it's more that I just dislike the interconnected stories, reboots, and settings of capes. I feel like they're designed so I buy as many titles and tie-ins as possible instead of just reading a story. But I absolutely understand the appeal of these huge worlds with massive continuities. It's just a bit much for me. Even reading Swamp Thing, I feel like I was missing half the story without Hellblazer, and I feel like I was missing half of Hellblazer without reading all these other titles, and so on.
>>
>>92382905
Hellblazer didn't start until after Moore left Swamp Thing
>>
>>92382982
Must have been the other way around then. I think I did start with Hellblazer actually since I like urban fantasy. I must be crazy, because I could swear Constantine was mentioned in the first volume of swamp Thing.
>>
>>92380993
That's not Stokoe.
>>
>>92383041
Constantine was introduced in Moore's Swamp Thing, but didn't get his own series until after Moore left.

Hellblazer had one crossover with Swamp Thing but you didn't need to be reading Swamp Thing to understand what was going on.
>>
>>92344018
I've never seen a WW fan be upset over Azzrun

I've simply seen butthurt Azzfans who were upset that Rebirth was retconning his run.
>>
These are pretty good. While the 2nd and 3rd are spinoffs, it works as a basic trilogy. I'd avoid any of the additional spinoff prequels/sequels.
Incal
Metabarons
Technopriests
>>
>>92383091
What are Delano's best works? His Hellblazer is the best Constantine out there.
>>
>>92383113
Whut? Every Rebirth WW storytime has at least several posters that go
>suck it azzzfags xD
>>
>>92383322
his Animal Man is good
Visions 2020 is great
Ennis is best Hellblazer
>>
>>92382738
Thank you for your explanation, my man. It was great having such a great conversation with you.
>>
>>92383381
Yes
They're called trolls.
>>
>>92382905
That's fair, and reasonable enough. There are quite few cape comics that are standalone though. Elsewords and comics outside the Big 2 are great if you just want an actual story instead of neverending Shonen-tier schlock. In the Big 2, Captain Marvel comics are great standalone reads, with Shazam and The Monster Society of Evil being a personal favorite.
>>
>>92341323

They are one of the few things this board was ever actually good for.
>>
>>92380240
Yeah maybe you'll like FF at best since there the characters feel somewhat relatable and quirky. Also what DD comics are you reading? People here have recommended Don Rosa stuff and I think I'll read it soon.
>>92380842
Have you read original Lovecraft stuff? I really want to read some of it before I start reading Providence and Hellboy.
>>
>>92382905
Judge Dredd is a good series to get in to for an appealing world, astounding sense of commitment to its continuity and it doesn't require you to read any other series to have the full context.
>>
File: blade-of-the-immortal-1952957.jpg (222KB, 750x1133px) Image search: [Google]
blade-of-the-immortal-1952957.jpg
222KB, 750x1133px
>>92340480
>reading
Blade of the Immortal. Not capes but it's still in that vein of shlocky action comics.
>on reading plate
Bones of the Coast
Shutter volumes 3 and 4
Deadly Class volume 4
Two volumes of Vattu
Megg Mogg and Owl in Amsterdam
Empowered (Fuck you, I'm including it)

spend too much time dicking around playing bad video games to actually read the books I buy though. Tomine is also pretty boring. I remember reading that story where the dude just wanted to fuck this chick and being bored because it was just petty insecurity issues the comic. I like that sort of shit but can also find it elsewhere from Clowes or Ware.
>>
>>92383876
>Also what DD comics are you reading? People here have recommended Don Rosa stuff and I think I'll read it soon.

Reading the original Carl Barks stories that people like Rosa were inspired by, Fantagraphics are putting out a 'Carl Barks Library' series of hardcovers at the moment, but there's a series of big torrents of old scans out there somewhere.

He did 10-page 'gag' stories in Walt Disney's Comics & Stories, an anthology book, and his full-book-length adventure stories in Four Color Comics.

I ended up getting into them because I was going to read Rosa's Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, but wanted to learn more about the actual history of the character first, and just fell in love with Barks' storytelling.
>>
File: 1416795.jpg (130KB, 600x932px) Image search: [Google]
1416795.jpg
130KB, 600x932px
>>92340480
>>
>>92384773
Is there any issue numbers or chronology you are following? Also I suppose it's a comfy read and I could definitely use that.
>>
>>92382905
I stick to pre Secret Wars/CoTi everything is several orders of magnitude more self-contained.
I also tend to stick to original creators like Kirby and Ditko; although guys like Romita sr, Claremont and Doeg Moench did some great work on other peoples properties.
I like cales, but I dislike chasing a story from title to title. It is a deal breaker.
>>92381552
All fiction is stupid. Guys who dislike genre fiction like to build hierarchies for themselves to hide behind, but just like genre fans, they like made up shit.
>my make-believe is better, therefore I am better!
>>
>>92383192

Don't listen to this anon. Everyone should read The Final Incal due to Ladronn's goat tier art and it's a good send off to the series and Catsuka is really entertaining.
>>
>>92340480
Sure, I'll join your pretentious circle jerk.

>4 Kids Walk into a Bank

>Bitch Planet
>>
>>92385675
Not that, anon, but fantagraphics is putting out barks and rosa collections. I dislike Rosa, but Bark's is great. I can't remememebr all the titles, but chronology isn't really important. Some of my favorite Bark's duck stories are : The Golden Helmet; Seven Cities of Gold; The Secret of Atlantis, but there are tons of good ones.
>>
>>92382905

theres so many books out there in the 'superhero' genre that aren't like that at all.. its mainly the big titles like batman, supes, spidey, etc that tie into big crazy events and shit.

although now marvel derails 75% of its titles for an event so wtf do i know.
>>
File: ahnoldjap.jpg (43KB, 400x297px) Image search: [Google]
ahnoldjap.jpg
43KB, 400x297px
>>92386030

>Bitch Planet

BAHAHAHAHAHAAHHH....
>>
>devalues an entire medium
Sorry if we don't like black and white 200 pagers about lesbians having arguments.
>>
>>92364056
This looks comfy as fuck.
>>
>>92386527
hey fuck you Love and Rockets is awesome
>>
never see blacksad mentioned, its one of my favorites
>>
>>92386636
Blacksad is one of those guilty pleasure comics because it is both great and undeniably a furry comic
>>
>>92386548
>BOOOOOR
>IIIING
To each their own but, jeeze, I already live in reality, and it sucks enough in colour.
>>
>>92386680
if it sucks so much, maybe you should kill yourself
>>
>>92386726
if your canned insults suck so much, maybe you should fuck off back to /b/
>>
>>92386765
maybe you should learn the difference between insult and friendly suggestion
>>
>>92340836

OP sounds like that guy who tried to convince Hiro a few years ago to create a containment board for superhero-related stuff, only because they were sick of seeing superheroes being discussed in both /co/ and /tv/.

>>92340925
>>92342112

My favorite comics are stuff like Hellboy and Uncle Scrooge, but threads that usually start like OP sound more like they are bait stuff or troll threads.

On the other hand, most of the posters here have been really civil so it doesn't matter much.
>>
>>92386527
Lesbians make it both sophisticated and progressive. Black and white just takes it to the next level.
>>
>>92386791
Kind of a grey area, I agree, but you meant it with malice, as every fucking CSGO playing faggot does. Therefore it's more an insult than a suggestion. And the very fact it's so unoriginal in itself is insulting enough.
Go suck dog cock on FB live, kid.
>>
Is there any good Image comic right now?
I picked Godshaper but it's just another SJW bait with shitty art.
>>
>>92386391
>many
No, there are very very few. Even Deathstroke is involved in a shitty crossover right now.
>>
>>92387783
Black Magick
The Fix
Seven to Eternity
Monstress
>>
>>92387783
Yeah, Godshaper was real shit, I expected more from Spurrier but he's so damn hit and miss...
I like Descender but the writing isn't incredible(it is good though). Art is amazing though.
>>
>>92387889
Plenty of those crossovers don't really require you to buy the other series though. If the title you're reading is the core of the crossover, you'll more than likely get all the important shit in your series, and you don't really need anything else. If you're in one of the side books that got tied in, the most you'll get might be an issue or a few pages that don't really make much sense and then it's back to where you were reading before.
I know this as somebody who doesn't give two fucks about continuity but likes to read superhero comics from time to time. There's plenty of enjoyable stuff out there.
Still, the best way to deal with all this shit is to wait for the trades.
>>
>>92388167
these little mini-crossovers DC has been doing have been just one continuous story across the four or so issues that make them up
>>
>>92387889

Yeah theyve done like 4-6 part crossovers between like 2 books, its not a line-wide thing.

For ex, i'm still picking up Batman (for now) but with The Button I want the other two parts of the story so i pick up two whole issues of the flash as well, big fuckin deal. and if you just want to know whats going on you can just read it here or download it.
>>
File: 30286.jpg (175KB, 600x923px) Image search: [Google]
30286.jpg
175KB, 600x923px
The new alien and predator runs seem promising.
>>
>>92387958
Thanks senpai. Seven to Eternity looks good.
>>92387978
Yeah, it's fucking awful and a mix of the worst Image clichés.
I'm going to check Descender, I like Lemire and robot stories.
>>
>>92388295
Stokoe is always promising.
Please buy it so we can get more Orc Stain ;_;
>>
>>92388216
Then you can probably just buy the trade after it's done. Or just skip that particular storyline.
>>
>>92388295
I wonder what size he works at.
>>
File: predator-hunters-comic.jpg (97KB, 864x1296px) Image search: [Google]
predator-hunters-comic.jpg
97KB, 864x1296px
>>92388295
Man shit cover is great
>>
>>92387783
Rock Candy Mountain and Extremity new but promising
Eclipse is neat if you like procedurals and sci-fi
>>
Don't let this thread die!
>>
File: Flight 4 cover wallpaper size.jpg (434KB, 1200x874px) Image search: [Google]
Flight 4 cover wallpaper size.jpg
434KB, 1200x874px
>no Flight mentions
Please don't tell me you forgot.
>>
>>92391456
I don't think anyone has ever actually read Flight, just seen it on Barnes and Noble shelves
>>
>>92391518
Actually read Flight. Actually read it anon, fucking do it. I know you are deathly terrified of BEING DISAPPOINTED BY A COMIC like all grown adults normally are, but.... just be brave, and give it a shot!
>>
>>92391612
eh
>>
>>92391759
Don't let your dreams be dreams!
>>
>>92387783
Pick up After Death. Honestly I've read a lot of Image books and only the ones that are self contained are really good. Otherwise the books just turn into mediocrity that drags on with nothing important to say.
>>
>>92346441
It's not very interesting when the hero wins through sheer luck every time.
>>
File: pag106.jpg (55KB, 514x765px) Image search: [Google]
pag106.jpg
55KB, 514x765px
Is pic related any good?
>>
>>92392274
As an adult, I enjoy Tintin for the visual and some of the gags. If you're reading it for the story, you're fucked (unless it's The Castafiore Emerald, that one's pretty decent all around).
>>
>>92387783
Old Guard
>>
>>92382100
Flintstones was a Hannah Barbera imprint, not Young Animal.
>>
>>92345742
>Spanish
Which ones are in spanish? His books are mainly in french.
>>
File: 0038.jpg (333KB, 851x1204px) Image search: [Google]
0038.jpg
333KB, 851x1204px
Tomine is p cool, I did enjoy Killing and Dying. All this Brian K Vaughn and shit like East of West is total trash, though.
Clowes is mostly boring to me, but I'm not really into his angle.

As a High Level Comics Reader, here is a following list of, objectively, the best contemporary narrative comics right now:

ARSENE SCHRAUWEN by Olivier Schrauwen

POWR MASTRS by C.F.

LOVE AND ROCKETS by the Brothers Hernandez

NEW COMICS 7, etc., by Patrick Kyle

PROVIDENCE by Alan Moore

ACHEWOOD by Chris Onstad

the BLOOD OF THE VIRGIN storyline serialized in Crickets by Sammy Harkham

and everything MEGG, MOGG, AND OWL by Simon Handsomeman

also it's manga, but GOODNIGHT PUN PUN by Inio Asano must also be mentioned

Also for you cape children, I recommend COPRA by Michael Fiffe. It is like your superhero babytime frolics, but for "big people".

>>92375683
>DMZ is honestly the best piece of media about the War on Terror.

Actually that would be TERROR ASSAULTER: O.M.W.O.T. (ONE MAN WAR ON TERROR) by Benjamin Marra

I hope you out there who have heard of these titles will take note, your future, better, more cultured self will thank you. Especially whoever, listed "The Sculptor". More like, "The Pooptor" amirite?... Ah shit, I ran out of online bravado. I dunno dudes, that's what I like, ymmv, good stuff tho.
>>
>>92394644
be more up your own ass
>>
>>92394666
no u
>>
>>92394644
honestly fuck Patrick Kyle
>>
>>92394644
Fife's writing didn't get me.
>>
>>92394944
>honestly fuck Patrick Kyle

What's wrong with P Diddy?
>>
>>92394966
I feel like it's mostly an excuse for pretty fighting, but it is a love letter to classic Suicide Squad, which I'm not familiar with
>>
File: AssCastle01.png (217KB, 840x1050px) Image search: [Google]
AssCastle01.png
217KB, 840x1050px
>>92394644
I also forgot CROW CILLERS by Cate Wurtz
>>
What did you all think about the Fantagraphics FCBD book this year?
>>
>>92396303
Loved. That kind of showcase is perfect for Fanta. Also made me realize I shouldn't have slept on My Favorite Thing is Monsters.
>>
>>92396303
I could not get my hands on that shit, which is to say I went to one place and it wasn't there, so I walked away with The Incal and went home. Did you read it? What was the Megg and Mogg story?
>>
>>92392498
I enjoyed it. Won't revisit it until next year at the earliest, but I'm glad I have it.
>>
>>92396303
whats fcbd?
>>
>>92398163
Free comic book day.
>>
>>92388276
It forced me to read a shitty issue of Titans and it'll force me to read another shitty issue of Titans and a shitty issue of Teen Titans. I'm not reading those two crappy comics but I'm forced to because of the structure Deathstroke has and the fact that I'm missing vital plot points if I skip it. Crossovers are cancerous because more often than not the good title will crossover with a bad one instead of another good one.
>>
>>92380842
huh..that's my favorite HPL story but I fail to see how it could be adapted as a comic. A lot of the descriptions defy physical adaptions....
>>
Any love of Bone?
>>
>>92387958
you should add God Country to this list. Otherwise good list
>>
>>92384939
Are the Grendel omnibus editions missing any of the material?
>>
>>92398379
too long
>>
is y the last man good or sjw bullshit?
>>
>>92343800
Saw him at comic con recently, swell guy and very nice.
>>
>>92401857
It'd be very different if it were made in 2017. I say try it.
>>
>>92364056
Love this comic.
>>
>>92394644
I love it when people poke fun at Scott McCloud.
>>
File: 1430276882038s.jpg (7KB, 225x250px) Image search: [Google]
1430276882038s.jpg
7KB, 225x250px
>>92364978
>If we consider Hellboy a superhero, then superheroics can be good.
>Therefore, I ask what defines bad superheroics or what is annoying cliches and tropes are in this genre.
Hellboy has only ever had one run, and his story is straightforward. It isn't continuously rebooted with the same story being told over and over and over again.

I mean christ, he died and so far as the story is concerned seems like he's going to stay dead. Sure, more HB comics are coming out telling stories set before he died, but the canon is that eventually he does die and that event is set in stone.

If Superman died you'd just get a new run telling the same fucking story they've been retelling since the god damned thirties or an asspull to bring him back from the dead before ending THAT run and doubling back to another reboot anyway.

It's part of the attraction of manga over comics for some people, myself included. The nips don't do anything special other than definitively ending their fucking stories and coming up with fresh concepts to replace their old work. Even their longest running stories like One Piece are one consecutive run which WILL eventually be over.
>>
>>92387783
Stray Bullets
>>
>>92405933
What manga would you rec?
>>
>>92364756
I think "capeshit" is a bad word for it both because it's kind of juvenile and because there's a lot of superhero stuff that doesn't share the flaws that make capeshit capeshit and there's a lot of non-superhero stuff that does.

To me, capeshit has a few clear bad traits. Not all of these are necessary, but they're prevalent.
1. It's an artless product.
2. It thrives on toxic nostalgia.
3. It deals in cheap, simple morality that appeals to dim people.
4. Its target audience is uncritical fanboys and manchildren
5. It sells itself as "cool", "awesome", "epic" etc.
6. It recycles the same plots over and over again.
7. It's juvenile, but pretends to be mature.
8. It uses banal statements about good and evil to pretend it has a message.
9. It's glorified fanfiction.

Imo, a lot of Image's sci-fi series are basically capeshit. On the other hand, stuff like Sandman, Warlock, and a lot of OG golden age stories when characters were still in the hands of their original creators do not fall into the capeshit trap.

I'd say capeshit just means "bad comics" (and I consider a lot of things bad that people who only read mainstream comics would consider good), but indie and "alternative" comics have a completely different kind of "bad" that clearly isn't capeshit and usually involves self-indulgence, pretension, etc. instead of juvenilia.
>>
>>92406461
>Simple morality
>Banal statements about good and evil
This has been a thing in a lot of writings since the beginning of time.
>>
What do you guys think about Ennis' War comics? It has some real gems in it imo and he manages to rise above cliche that occupies a lot of war stories.
>>
>>92406534
Doesn't make it any less shitty that it dominates comics my friend. Sometimes we need a simple, light story. I read Stephen King and Harry Turtledove. I have nothing against simple tales of good and evil.
The problem is, in comics especially, there is a tendency for people to treat these simple stories as if their statements on morality are challenging or profound. Look at how people try to prop up Star Wars or Harry Potter as these fascinating morality plays when they're really not about or for that sort of thing.
There is a big place for banal morality in fiction both as a comfort and as an affirmation, but it needs to be kept in that place.
>>
>>92406634
Was Ennis ever actually a combatant in a war? I find war stories tend to have more bite when they're from people who were there.
>>
>>92406461
Yeah, this is the difference between a comic like Watchmen and the capeshit crap Geoff Johns is surely gonna pull with his shitty event.
>>
>>92406210
Depends on your preferences because like American comics there are numerous different genres. I personally stick to content geared toward an older crowd (Seinen) with a preference for mystery/drama.

Parasyte, Erased, Death Note, and Molester Man are all A+ (and more importantly, completed.)

Bakuman is also pretty good (though I've not completed it) by the guys who did Death Note. It's made for younger readers I think but from what I understand it actually gives a decent look into how the manga industry operates.
>>
File: tumblr_mjk4wiXMha1rpok63o1_1280.jpg (863KB, 960x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mjk4wiXMha1rpok63o1_1280.jpg
863KB, 960x1920px
>>92406210
Not him but here
>>
>>92407001
>manga
just as bad as capeshit
>>
>>92409051
Nice b8 m8
>>
>>92409051
I do not read manga, but what you're saying is the same as thinking comics = superheroes.
As far as I understand, there are plenty of different styles and genres of mangas.
>>
>>92398240
>Deathstroke has and the fact that I'm missing vital plot points if I skip it

Thats your problem not the comic, why do you need every morsel of info? and if you cared that much why wouldnt you just read it online to get your continuity boner?

It sounds like you're bitching about something just to screech and yell.
>>
File: U288E.png (116KB, 799x578px) Image search: [Google]
U288E.png
116KB, 799x578px
>>92406210
Fourteen
>>
>>92388295
My LCS was sold out of Dead Orbit....I was very sad
>>
The Humans by Keller and Neely. Easy Rider meets Planet of the Apes. Not exactly deep or intellectual but a fun slice of counterculture.

Zero by Ales Kot. Very interesting and intelligent sci-fi spy comic that becomes very surreal.

Terminal Lance: The White Donkey by Maximillan Uriarte. VERY good Iraq war comic written by an actual veteran. Do not expect lots of badass action, this comic is extremely autobiographical and grounded.

Last Days of an Immortal by Vehlmann and Bonneval. Philosophical science fiction, highly recommended.

Beautiful Darkness by Vehlmann and Kerascoet. Great dark fairy tale.

Megg & Mogg has already been recommended multiple times but I will second those recommendations. Great melancholic stoner comedy.

Pretty much anything by Moebius.
Pretty much anything by James Stokoe.
Pretty much any Moore work that isn't capeshit.
I'm also a big fan of Morrison's non-capeshit work.
>>
>>92413480
>Morrison's non-capeshit work.
isn't that only like three things
>>
>>92412859
Both of mine did too.
>>92413480
Material by Kot was very Scanner Darkly. I liked it
>>
>>92413559
Nah he's known best for capeshit but he has bunch of other comics. Off the top of my head:
The Invisibles
We3
Kill Your Boyfriend
Vimanarama
Nameless
Annihilator
The Filth
Klaus
Dinosaurs vs Aliens (lol what the fuck ever happened with this?)
>>
>>92414834
>The Invisibles
>The Filth
>Klaus
>not cape
shit, Annihilator even had a Multiversity issue
>>
>>92414932
>The Invisibles
Literally has no superheroes. Just because its sci-fi/action doesn't make it capeshit.
>The Filth
Again, no superheroes just sci-fi/action
>Klaus
If you really want to call it cape I won't argue with you, its close enough.
>Annihilator
Again, this is debatable. I guess you could argue it's capeshit if you really wanted to in that it has characters in garish outfits battling, but it is very unconventional for capeshit and seems much more suited to horror/sci-fi. When was Annihilator in Multiversity? It's not even DC.
>>
File: 1319530295439.jpg (76KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
1319530295439.jpg
76KB, 239x239px
>>92340480
I just started reading Killing & Dying, the spanish translation re titles it as "Intruders"
I've just read the first story and I think we all can agree that the hortiscuplture guy was a dense douche, it amazes me he managed to get a wife at all.
>>
>>92415191
>The Invisibles
>The Filth
People with secret identities, flamboyant alternate personalities, and garish costumes fighting the sci-fi forces of evil. The Filth has a little more wiggle room, but The Invisibles is practically the Justice League under a screen of conspiracy theories and British smarminess.

Annihilator #3 is a stealth Multiversity tie-in, Nomax opens The Door and lets in an agent of the Gentry that threatens to overtake the universe. This isn't to say that it's a cape comic, but it is covering a lot of the same ground as Multiversity.
>>
File: sideeyechloe.gif (1MB, 300x332px) Image search: [Google]
sideeyechloe.gif
1MB, 300x332px
>>92415668

Dude, are you high?
>>
>>92415881
you must be if you can't see obvious parallels
>>
>>92340480
We know you don't really want a indie comic thread op. You're just looking for an excuse to bitch and moan about capeshit.
>>
>>92416020
anon it has literally been more than two days
>>
>>92416043
Who cares?
>being this insecure
>>
>>92416020
Well no shit Sherlock he didn't want an indie thread, killing and dying isn't independent.
>>
>>92416095
do you really think no one else has posted exactly what you posted in the span of two+ days?
>>
>>92416104
Whatever you want to call it then, alt-comics, non-capeshit, call it whatever you want. You still completely missed the point of my post smartass.
>>
>>92416177
I understand what you're saying it's more making fun of you and the half of this thread who can't even agree on what non-cape means
>>
>>92416153
What's wrong with reinforcing the truth?
Who still cares?
Why are you letting one post trigger you this much?
>>
>>92416254
seems like you're triggered one here
>>
>>92416225
So you're making fun of me because I'm right? I don't have a dog in the non-cape vs capeshit fight.
>>
>>92416284
Based on what? I'm asking you questions.
>>
>>92415415
Neat. Does Killing and Dying not work in spanish? Do they retitle the story Killing and Dying?
>>
>>92416313
You're not right, indie is an entirely different thing going than alt, there can be crossover but indie is a format while alt is a genre.

And it's the generalizations like this that causes all these arguments
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (3MB, 300x266px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
3MB, 300x266px
>>92416153
>>92416254
>>92416284

Now Kithhhhh
>>
>>92416383
I don't care about the specifics of comic genre. I already admitted that my classification was incorrect and that it wasn't even the main point of my post. Which you agreed with so I don't why you're still getting pissy over a it.
>>
>>92416043
>criticizes people for posting in old thread
>proceeds to post more then once in old thread
You realize how much of a hypocrite you are right?
>>
>>92416513
Not pissy just commenting on this whole argument, I'm not even arguing with what you said just pointing out an example of its flaw in relation to the rest of the thread

I agree op is a fuck and at this point it feels like false flagging, the way to have a non-cape thread is to define your genre, give a direction or story time, and not bad mouth cape.

He did one of those by bringing up killing and Dying but fucked this whole thread from the start by fucking up the other two.
>>
>>92416604
hey man I was just arguing over whether The Invisibles was cape or not before some fuck decided he needed to call out a two-day old post after nearly 400 replies
>>
>>92416709
And some how that's worse then you calling out someone for calling out a flaseflagging op? I still fail to see how it doesn't make you a hypocrite in anyway. That guy would of just made his comment and probably gone away. But like the retard you are you bumped a dead thread to the top of the catalog while pretending you're not in the wrong.
>>
File: tumblr_my0t3eWA4u1r223n7o1_1280.jpg (366KB, 800x641px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_my0t3eWA4u1r223n7o1_1280.jpg
366KB, 800x641px
I've been reading the Explorer series, an anthology started by the same gut who did Flight. Neat stuff, I really wish the story by Jason Caffoe would become a full series.

>>92340480
Have you perhaps thought the best way to get someone to read a larger variety of content isn't to insult the content they already like

>>92359803
This seems like a better idea. I'm thinking of making one sometime.
>>
>>92416709
That logic is stupid af anon.
>hurrr you can't make comments that were made 2 days ago
He's not wrong about op, so why not keep saying it? Sounds like you're the insecure op to me.
>>
>>92406778
No, but he's Irish, if that means something.
>>
>>92416709
Sounds like you're the fuck to me. People like the dude you replied to are the posters I'd rather see, calling out the bullshit in this board. What do you do? Bitch and moan about other people's post while attributing to the very thing you hate.
>>
>>92406778
>>92417102
But he has a lot more variety in war stories than your average war comics.
>>
>>92416709
you need to spend more time off 4chan if things like that are getting you this mad
>>
>>92392498
I liked it plenty.
Kinda prefer it over the movie, but I read it first so there's always the way the first read sets the standard in your mind.
>>
>>92416709
And who are you? The 4chan community watch? What makes your bitching anymore righteous then his bitching?
>being autistic enough to get mad at duplicate post
God help you
>>
>>92416709
this is some serious autism right here
>>
>>92416362
I have yet to see if they retitled that story
maybe "Matar y morir" has been done too much in spanish
>>
>>92416709
subtle, yet effective
>>
>>92417700
>I was pretending to be retarded
Chances that this is bait is really low considering his previous comments.
>>
File: file.png (12KB, 365x100px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
12KB, 365x100px
OP here, I made the OP obnoxious on purpose so people would argue about it and bump the thread amidst on-topic non-cape discussion. I'm not a fan of capeshit at all, but I realise how nonconstructive and inflammatory my OP is. Thank you for playing in to my hands and keeping this baby going, 409 posts and approx 90% of it on topic, quite the success :^)
>>
>>92417843
This
>>
So what type of indie/alt/non-superhero comic should I make a thread about tomorrow? I'm thinking horror or good drama.
>>
>>92418279
Horror threads are pretty common. Do drama.
>>
>>92418279
Hopefully you learned how to make a thread properly next time, instead of flaseflagging and turning your thread into a shitshow like this was.
>>
>>92418343
I'm actually >>92416923
>>
>>92418406
Then learn from ops mistakes. I love actual non-capeshit threads when people just post and share thier comics or story time. Always the most comfiest threads.
>>
>>92418279

Werewolf by Night
>>
>>92418908
This is an actual non-cape thread.

Maybe it doesn't have the OP that you want, but 90% of the posts are on-topic non-shitposts about non-cape comics.
>>
>>92419516
Oh fuck off, because making every thread a bait thread is really healthy and leads to great discussion? Most of these on topic posts are just list posts or arguing whether of not they should be here.
>>
File: yep2.png (437KB, 526x527px) Image search: [Google]
yep2.png
437KB, 526x527px
>list to sift the corn from the poop later

Killing and Dying
Finder: Third World
The Eternaut
Sandman
Lucifer
Swamp-Thing by Alan Moore
Transmetropolitan
Finder
Eternaut
Edena
East of West
Habibi
Locke and Key (horror/lovecraftian)
Fable
Calvin and Hobbes
Skizz, D.R. and Quinch, Ballad of Halo Jones (all by Alan Moore)
S.C.U.D. the Disposable Assassin
The Unwritten
Low
Saga
Berlin
Roche Limit
The Bus
Preacher
From Hell
Button Man
Megg, Mogg & Owl
The Fade Out
Aliens: Salvation
Sin City
Andre the Giant
Ghost World
My Friend Dahmer
Leviathan
Like A Sniper Lining Up His Shot
Beautiful Darkness
Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant?
Crecy
American Spledour
Templar
Paying For It
The Sculptor
The Walking Dead
Blankets
Scott Pilgrim
Concrete
Stray Bullets
Y the Last Man
100 Bullets
Descender
Monstress
Sky Doll
Kamandi
AD After Death
Black Science
DMZ
Seven to Eternity
God Country
Kabuki
Mother Come Home
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath & other stories
Black Magick
The Fix
Aliens Dead Orbit
>>
>>92419516
>90% of the posts are on-topic non-shitposts about non-cape comics
bullshit. I've been in non-capeshit threads where the shitposting was at a minimal. the key is not not flaseflag like op did.
>>
>>92420518
Add stitches to the list
>>
File: 1492640364128.png (811KB, 641x538px) Image search: [Google]
1492640364128.png
811KB, 641x538px
>>92340836
you like bad things and you should feel bad
>>
>>92340510
>Finder: Third World
I've come to the party way too late but (you), I wanna be friends with you

also just picked up Paul Up North

and recently read 5000km per Second and How To Survive in the North. Both good, How to Survive was most interesting, making journal entries into pages then weaving in a modern narrative
>>
To all the guys reading The Eternaut: try to get Mort Cinder. It's a much better comic from the same writer (not saying Eternaut isn't good though).
>>
>>92418279
These threads won't last if you just want to discuss specific genre. I'm amazed how this one lasted as long as it has.
>>
I'm glad I came across this just now

I was talking with my brother last night and mentioned that I don't really know what to follow any more. I use to read all sorts of Vertigo stuff; 100 Bullets, Lucifer, Northlanders, DMZ, Scalped, Unwritten

Then those all ended. most all the writers didn't start anything new (or good in the case of B Wood) besides Southern Bastards. So that and East of West are the only things I wait for releases of anymore. Is there anything else specific to what I read anon could recommend?
>>
>>92421647
Just currently running ongoings?

Sheriff of Babylon springs to mind most immediately, although it's on hiatus right now.
The Fix if you like comedy
Black Magick
>>
>>92421606
I'd feel they'd have better discussion then just talking about general stuff.
>>
>>92421719
I've read thru an issue of The Fix during a storytime here before. It seemed good so I'll endeavor to pick a volume and give it a shot. The other 2 I've never heard of so I'll check them out, hopefully find new writers to follow. thanks
>>
File: hubba bubba dubba.jpg (100KB, 477x640px) Image search: [Google]
hubba bubba dubba.jpg
100KB, 477x640px
>>92421831
here to help
>>
>>92421831
I recommend Lemire and Snyder. Lemire puts out a lot of stuff, Snyder's output is sparse but of quality. Read up Sweet Tooth, Descender and Plutona by Lemire and American Vampire, Wytches and After Death by Snyder.
>>
I love the drama-driven types of stories. These books I have to reread ever now and then

Box Office Poison
Asterios Polyp
Freeway
A Song of Roland
Big Questions
Tricked
Cages
Two Brothers
Skyscapers of the Midwest
>>
>>92421831
Don't read anything by Spencer, Fraction and Gillen. They're meme writers.
>>
>>92422062
The Fix is good

probably more because of Lieber than Spencer, but still good
>>
I read Ragemoore this evening. Very reminiscent of House on the Borderlands. Pretty good, but not peak Corben.
>>
>>92422082
Yeah it's alright.
>>
>>92421998
Descender has caught my eye but only because of the art which I usually distrust. I tried reading American Vampires a while back but couldnt get into it. Might check out Wytches but a book I've liked that I didn't mention in earlier post is Rachel Rising.
>>
>>92422062
>meme

yea, I'll just disregard any opinion you have, besides Casanova was pretty fun as was what I read of Sex Criminals.

so I'll be sure to read The Fix now
>>
>>92422267
Sex Criminals is just another middling Image comic that blows up because of the writer's name.
>>
File: 31020.jpg (104KB, 600x923px) Image search: [Google]
31020.jpg
104KB, 600x923px
>>92421647
You might like Dead Inside. It's a very noir crime mystery about a weird murder inside a prison.Has a lot of cliches of the genre but it's a damn good read.
>>
>>92422340
speaking of Arcudi has anyone in this thread read A God Somewhere? I know you could throw it in with superhero comics but it's obviously meant to dismantle the genre rather than play with it
Thread posts: 442
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.