[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

convince me Scott Lobdell is a bad writer without using "muhh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: redhotocv1openordervarjpg.jpg (358KB, 1987x993px) Image search: [Google]
redhotocv1openordervarjpg.jpg
358KB, 1987x993px
convince me Scott Lobdell is a bad writer without using "muhh Tim" cuz he was a shit character berore or "muhh Superboy" because Johns already ruined him arguement

Lobdell is the best Big 2 writer besides Loeb since the 90s
>>
>>92309317
Ok
>read Teen Titans (new 52)

gg ez
>>
>>92309317
>Convince me that a writer who has written only shit comics in this decade is a bad writer.
>>
>>92309378
This desu
It's not bad just because it fucked with characters
Its just objectively terrible in nearly every way
>>
>>92309317
Neither your opinion or mine actually matters here, in fact.
Therefore I don't actually need to convince you of anything at all because nothing you think, do, or say actually has any bearing on anything substantial involving these comics or their characters, and at best your one pathetic little subscription (assuming you have one) contributes to....well, let's face it, nothing at all due to consistently decreasing comic book sales.
>>
>>92309555
Bunker is best boy though
>>
>>92309585
>liking a gay meme
No.
>>
>>92309317
He'd not really very good at decompressed storytelling, having cut his teeth on comics nearly twice as long with a quarter as many ad pages. Like Loeb and a lot of other 90's writers he hasn't really shown the ability to make the necessary adjustments and instead still writes like it's 1997 instead of 2017.

It's kind of like asking a horror writer like Stephen King to write a light hearted romantic comedy film; no matter how hard he tries despite his considerable writing experience he's probably going to fuck it up because it's not what he's good at, and Lobdell is NOT as good a writer as Stephen King, so he does even worse then that.

One of the biggest problems of the Big Two is their insularity preventing new talent hires and being forced to rely on increasingly aged authors who haven't shown the ability to stay in touch either with what readers want or newer writing formats.
>>
>>92309653
Jesus, fucking this. I've read his Generation X series, and it's not bad.
It's just that it's been over twenty years since he had any idea of what readers wanted in comics and is getting most of his reactions Second or third hand and isn't communicating with his readers, or even trying to like the rare few modern authors who do comics are at times.
>>
>>92309317
Muh Bart
>>
>>92309378
Though I want to add to this - I don't think Lobdell is totally talent-less. RHATO is honestly one of my favourite books from DC at the moment. But my fondness for this book is in contrast with my total abhorrence for what he did to the Teen Titans during new52. Tim acted as a total asshole, enough to make me sincerely dislike the guy. I know the term "edgy" is loaded with connotations here, but I do think it is the best way to describe Lobdells Teen Titans - needlessly edgy. The pain armour, 'living weapon', Tim ruthlessly, even cruelly, manipulating the other titans, Cassie being weirdly promiscuous, Raven, Beast Boy, and of course Bar-torr. These characters historically have been genuinely good people, but under Lobdells relaunch they became unrecognisable - I think that except for Tim, they have all been killed off and quietly abandoned, or at least ignore the Lobdell period. And beyond what it did to that characters, this period of the Teen Titans is almost painful to read, one long painful drag where you can't tell when one arc begins and another ends because its all the same cyclical trial of dreary awfulness. I think Lobdell was going through a phase during the New52 launch period. If you look at the books he was writing then, all of them had the same needless angst and cynical filter - the aforementioned Teen Titans, as well as slutfire, the Pain Olympics in the Ravagers, the Superboy and Superman stuff.

The Good news is that I think he has realised how off the rails he went then. The more recent stuff is far better, not just in characterisation but also in pacing, tone and other aspects of storytelling. I think he's improving, but the New52 launch era is going to be a stain on his reputation for a long while.
>>
>>92309317
He singlehandedly killed the teen titans and superman. How this guy is still working is a mystery.
>>
>>92311521
>Teen Titans
Good riddence and Superman is still around so he actually didn't.
>>
>>92309317
He has gotten better, but he has had his problems in the past, mainly: he writes too much exposition and he doesn't tie his story enough before writing it.

That being said, he's a very 90's writing style, so it may be one's taste depending on it. I personally like it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.