[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do the colours/shading look okay here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Episode 01 part 01 page 03.jpg (734KB, 1404x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Episode 01 part 01 page 03.jpg
734KB, 1404x2048px
Do the colours/shading look okay here?
>>
>>92304763
Are you the guy making gender swapped Steven universe with the metals? Do you have the rest of the comic anywhere?
>>
>>92304831
It is a WIP and this is just the third page.
>>
>>92304763

The colouring looks amateurish as hell but I don't think you'll be judged too harshly as long as the lines are good.
>>
Look up the concepts of hard edges and soft edges. Also hue shifting.
>>
>>92305117
Mostly just trying a thing, it didn't work, my colors don't always look like this http://img02.deviantart.net/4517/i/2017/130/6/4/hanna_ivanovich_by_alexdealey-db8thm7.png
>>
>>92305320
I don't know if you were trying to convince me of something but you didn't do it.
>>
>>92305462
that other picture I linked was just something I made yesterday I felt looked a good deal better. Honestly though I usually mostly cell shade.
>>
>>92304763
FYI your not going to get a balanced review here, but here's my two cents. Good linework and nice enough choice of color, but blend the colors better, look up some techniques for it, nobody can make the "airbrush" shading look good. I like the composition too.
>>
>>92305320
Ok, that one looks better colored that the one you posted, but still, as >>92305046 >>92305117
said, this one looks amateur, are you going for a particular style? Like, do you have any refference?

The main thing I'd say about op pic is that the airbrush coloring looks terribly bland. Its usually related to content in which the artist "doesntt know how ho color so they try to cover it" You even have 2 types of coloring in that one, airbrush for almost everything but "cell shaded" for details like the spotlights and her clothes in the last panel, not to mention that imo the shading lines and the heavy outlines dont fit with the airbrush
>>
>>92305702
yeah, honestly I'm not totally sure what I'm trying to do with it just yet. Honestly Ideally I'd like something with soft shading and for the metalloids to be shiny (and if possible give the whole color pallet a slightly more pastel tone) problem is this is totally outside my normal color/shading style since I usually do more cell shading and darker colors.
>>
>>92306119
Ok, you should try to look for a style to follow, not copy, but follow, just because it sound like you're not used to work with anything but hard shading colors.

Take this one for example, the colors might not be super pastel but the overall feel is pretty much watercolor/pastel, and its made with oil painting. The color palette you pick will affect so much for the whole composition that you should really take some time to get it right, the one you're currently using is anything but pastel, pastel is NOT any color in a lighter tone, and it should affect not only the characters but tue other elements as well, the background (Nigga that purple is anything but pastel) the color of the spotlights on her 2nd panel (which at the same time should have some kind of fade out towards the edge).

And if you're working with soft colors like pastel pantones then I might recommend changint the outlines to match it as well, the Puyo Puyo games and their character design comes to mind, so you might want to google that to see what Im talking about.

Overall, looking at your other work it looks like you got the bases but are stuck right now doing some experiments with styles, so keep it up anon, you can do it!
>>
File: 1493760005325[1].jpg (441KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1493760005325[1].jpg
441KB, 2048x2048px
>>92306501
I'm already VERY familiar with that artstyle thanks to a friend's art request. I think you might be onto something there regarding the colored outlines and I'm going to try that out.
>>
>>92304763
This is something someone on /ic/ explained to me about one of my drawings. An issue I see on the hair is something called "pillow shading", which is where an object is shaded in a way where it's not clear what direction the light is coming from. The most prominent example of this is on the hair in the bottom panel. The portions of the hair closer to the lines are lighter than the inner portions, which doesn't look realistic. Also, the fact that there's so little interior shading makes it look like her hair is really "flat".

Like someone else said though, your palette choices are good. Your artstyle's pretty nice too. I like the bold outlines.
>>
>>92304763
the coloring can work. the shading ruins the picture
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.