[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm still fucking mad this is all getting retconned out.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 13

File: file.png (711KB, 474x720px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
711KB, 474x720px
I'm still fucking mad this is all getting retconned out.
>>
Well, now you know how Wonder Woman fans felt when this retconned out 30 years of her history in favor of edgelord bullshit.
>>
>>92302267
face it, none of the previous WW runs got as much acclaim and attention as this one did. Rucka's run can't even touch the numbers this rn has
>>
Me too OP, this was one of the few things that New 52 did that I fucking loved. The image of Diana crushing War's helm in the first issue of Rebirth was a giant fuck you to anyone who enjoyed the run.
>>
>>92302267
>Wonder Woman fans
Oh no, not all ten of them!
>>
>>92302151
I'm really going to miss this version of Aries and in particular Strife.

Other than that, even though I enjoyed it, I can let the rest go. More than anything it just points out how messed up or disappointing the New 52 has been.
>>
Anon you're reading a comic book from the big two. Nothing meaningful EVER happens.

What did you expect?
>>
>>92302430
This version of Ares sucked ass.
>or should I say Azz cause he was clearly Azzarello's self-insert.
>>
>>92302151
Why?

It was carried by the art. Strife was the only really good character.
>>
>>92302291
Imagine, if you will, that Superman gets rebooted.

Now the Kents are racist bigots and assholes, because that's totally more realistic. They're farmers, right?

They get rid of his heat vision and freeze breath. Those powers are silly.

Jimmy Olsen and Perry White? Gone.

Let's get rid of all his villains. Now his only foes are the Kryptonian Phantom Zone criminals, and we'll spend 35 issues dealing with them and only them.

How about it turns out that Superman's real father was Zod, not Jor-El? Great idea, really turns up the drama.

Now how would you react to this? Who cares about Superman's fans, right? Character is outdated anyway, we're improving him.

Also, Court of the Owls and Hush are two of the best-selling and most acclaimed Batman comics of all time. Certainly reflective of their quality, huh? Or maybe it's just because lots of casuals buy them?

>>92302339
So you're only a fan of characters with millions of fans? Must suck to have such boring taste.
>>
>>92302151
Look, it was a nice Elseworld, but having the Amazons as honeypot serial killers just doesn't jive.
>>
>>92302793
You mean you didn't like how they dashed their babies head on the rocks? Its so much better to have them to be baby-killers who had to be bribed with weapons to stop killing babies than to have them as an ancient lost civilization.
>>
File: ww30.jpg (287KB, 791x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ww30.jpg
287KB, 791x1200px
I wouldn't mind as much if what we were getting instead was good, but Rucka's new run is just fucking insufferable. It reads like a fanfic. It reads like a BAD fanfic. It's not like we're getting Perez's Post-Crisis run, Rucka's new run is dogshit.
>>
>>92302548
wew you sound really defensive and insecure.
>>
File: Charlie_Nash.png (276KB, 415x453px) Image search: [Google]
Charlie_Nash.png
276KB, 415x453px
>>92302151
>retconned
Wow, it's like, you honestly care that publishers remove bits and parts of a series and don't just enjoy stories that are told at all.
>>
>>92302793
>having the Amazons as Amazons just doesn't jive
>>
>>92303025
the stories being told since the Azz run aren't very enjoyable
>>
>>92302267
You can't honestly have expected such dramatic changes to have stuck around, did you?
It's not a few years after Crisis on Infinite Earths anymore; absolutely nothing written in the DCU sticks, and nothing is consequential to canon because nothing has since matched the kind of numbers people have bought comics in since the 1980's.
Maybe if one day 200,000 books a month sold is the cancellation limit again instead of 1,000 books and under stories will actually MATTER, but until then you'd best admit that you're living in the old age of comics, and nobody really cares what dying old people think; it's why we put them into nursing homes.
>>
It's a comic book. All stories get retconned eventually.
>>
>>92302430

I enjoyed the absurdness of the gods and yes Ares was a great take being a bitter old drunk. And Strife > Circe all day, every day. Also I miss Diana's half siblings, there was potential there, Lennox was one of the best WW supporting character in ages.

pity they couldnt make Firstborn work, maybe if they just gave him an actual name at least.
>>
>>92303041
DC Amazons are not historical myths of Amazons, they're not barbarians but more like Tolkien elves.
>>
Someone should post that picture of Orion getting gored by a minotaur.

Im glad this shits getting retconned.
>>
I read the Azz run as my first WW run, loved it. Picked up the first volume of the collections for the Perez and Rucka runs they put out last year. Solid stuff. Loved Vol 1 of Rucka's stuff, really looking forward to picking up the second volume when it's released.

Figured in the meantime I'd pick up the first volume of Rucka's Rebirth run and was rewarded with six issues of a bland storyline that goes out of its way to shit on Azz's run instead of doing anything cool or interesting like the first volume of Rucka's old run did.

And apparently it doesn't improve? Fuck, man.
>>
>>92302430
I will actually miss them. The demigods were pretty neat.
>>
>>92303179
Athena would've been a better choice. With Ares it just felt like hard tough guy wank.
>>
>>92303179
>>92303360
If Azz wanted to write greek street than who should've written greek street.
Azz doesn't actually know how to write wonder woman.
>>
>>92303360
Athena, as a war goddess, wouldn't be nearly so burnt out by war in general as Ares has the potential to be. Athena is the goddess of strategy, tactics, and victory. Ares is the god of slaughter and butchery. For the type of character Azz's Ares was, Athena couldn't have been substituted.
>>
>>92303430
Hold the fuck up. Azz may have mishandled the Amazons and doesn't respect her usual baddies, but Diana herself is beyond reproach.
>>
>>92303227
>spreading feminism by the sword and being a "superior" civilization is much better

Yawn. All the butthurt feminist liberals have no problem with the colonialist subtext of the Marston/Perez Amazons. But scream murder when all Azzarello did was knock them down from their perch and showed they weren't a perfect society.

> they're not barbarians but more like Tolkien elves.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Read the Silmarillion. The elves were assholes who were basically willing to do anything including betrayal and murder to sate their greed and were willing to screw humans as long as they were't troubled. The only reason they appear to be "good" in LOTR is because all the bad ones got themselves killed.
>>
Poor WW :/
>>
>>92303430
>implying Rucka's Hiketeia wasn't Greek Street either

Casting stones from glass houses are all you guys can do. At least Azz wasn't as boring and ponderous as Rucka.
>>
>>92303503
>Yawn. All the butthurt feminist liberals have no problem with the colonialist subtext of the Marston/Perez Amazons. But scream murder when all Azzarello did was knock them down from their perch and showed they weren't a perfect society.
WML managed to do that without making them literally sell babies into slavery.
>>
Rebirth is shit. Lazy rehashed forced boring bull.
>>
>>92303605
I actually think Rebirth has been good for the most part, it's just that Wonder Woman in particular has been deeply underwhelming. It's a shame, because Wondy was one of the few gems of New 52.
>>
>>92303474
Athena was more of a war god to the greek than Ares, that's just plain fact.
>>
>>92303603
They are a hellenic or at least classical civilization with similar ethics and norms. Infanticide and slavery was part of that worldview.
>>
File: WW.png (181KB, 795x300px) Image search: [Google]
WW.png
181KB, 795x300px
>>92302548
>Let's get rid of all his villains. Now his only foes are the Kryptonian Phantom Zone criminals, and we'll spend 35 issues dealing with them and only them.
Sounds good because as much as I want to read an arc with Toyman, or Parasite, or fucking Metallo, I'd rather read a story about some interesting, non-shitty villains. And keep in mind WW's rogue's gallery is way fucking worse than Superman's.

They took a character that literally no one cared about, other than she's the girl superhero they recognize, and made her an interesting character, in an interesting setting, doing interesting things.

This comic sums up everything that was wrong with WW before this run. I'm not saying it fixed it, but it helped.
>>
>>92303475
Nah and here's my reason
>TW for /co/: I acknowledge that sexism exists.
She's supposed to be the ambassador to man's world, to show that cruelty and hate isn't the way, that love and compassion makes you a stronger person. With Azz it's the exact opposite. Diana comes from man's world to "save" the amazons from their cruelty (makong diana an outsider, killing babies) and hate (willing to kill a god just cause he was a man)
>and how does she do this
By listening to the patriarchy and I mean THE patriarchy cause the whole plot is because of Zeus.
>>
>>92302489
It was Chiang's choice to draw him that way.
>>
>>92303946
Another element that sticks on my craw is heph and his boys where Azz took the loving sisterhood of the amazons and made it into a brotherhood. Compound that the Amazon's patron goddess is Aphrodite, who is the wife to Hephaestus.
>>
>>92302151
Hence why I refuse to ever touch another Wonder Woman book again. Azz's Wonder Woman getting retcon is the greatest crime to happen to DC followed by the abomination that is Superman Reborn.
>>
>>92303012
>shitposter gets BTFO
>w-wow y-y-you're really insecure
Every time.
>>
>>92302151
>I'm still fucking mad this is all getting retconned out.
WW reconned??? You are new, right buddy, that happens every year.
>>
>>92303996
I still think Azz wanked him. Off because Azz decided that Ares is going to be the kind of character that Azz likes.
>a cynical badass soldier who don't give a fuck
Which easily could've been Athena.
>>
>>92303041
The Amazons didn't exist anyway, so I fail to see your point.
>>
>>92304075
but Ares's whole deal was that he gave too much of a fuck, that's why he was all depressed
>>
>>92303772
No. They REJECTED the Hellenic civilization, which in turn reviled them and spread stories about them being savages.
>>
>>92304044
Hey no. Let's not say things we can't take back...
>>
>>92303836
People have short memories. The stories even the modern takes with her more obscure villains are pretty much forgotten. Does anyone even remember Jimenez or Heinberg's attempts at reviving interest in those old villains and how no one cared.

If anything v2 pretty much shows: Ares (and related Gods), Giganta, Circe, Cheetah and Psycho are the only memorable parts of her entire rogues gallery.
>>
>>92303474
I think you got that backwards, Ares should be loving this eternal warfare. In fact I think Azz should've taken notes from the DCAU and have Ares be a slick modern warmonger. Athena being the goddess of craft and justice would be burnt out from the senseless slaughter.
>>
>>92304157

well there's uhh... Veronica Cale! and Genocide!, and the First born!
>>
>>92304138
They are Hellenic. They worship the Greek Gods. If they rejected them, why do still worship Hera or Zeus or Athena.
>>
>>92302151
>caring about cape canon
>>
>>92304191
Ares was the embodiment of the worse aspects of war. The slick aspects like modern warfare (technology/logistics/theories of war) was Athena.
>>
>>92304044
Fuck New 52 Superman.
>>
>>92304129
Which is something I just don't buy.
Look at Ares body language in his introduction.
He was making a pun while walking away from an explosion.
All was missing was a sick guitar riff
>>
>>92304143
Superman Reborn is shit. It overly complicated things. Assuming that Clark started as Superman in his early 20s. Active for about 10 years before Jon's birth. 10 years retirement post-Jon's birth. And eventually active again after a 10 years hiatus, that would make Clark and Lois in their late 30s to early 40s. Nevermind them attempting to combine both Superdad and Superbro's histories together.
>>
File: Haha, fuck you.gif (2MB, 540x266px) Image search: [Google]
Haha, fuck you.gif
2MB, 540x266px
>>92304325
>hating Super Bro
>>
>>92302548
This is 110% accurate.

Setting the quality of Azzarello's run aside, it takes a steaming shit on the entirety of Wonder Woman canon. It would've made for a great elseworld story, but I don't blame WW fans one bit for getting butthurt about it.
>>
>>92304342

Strife was the one who made the pun, Ares felt like he was there because it was his job and just boredly shuffles to the next conflict after the explosion. next we see him he's in Africa getting drunk.
>>
>>92304289
You've now given me an idea of Athena as a villain, or at least as deeply amoral/nihilistic.

I think it could work. Maybe treat her like Lucifer.
>>
File: 1434306385610.gif (1MB, 191x171px) Image search: [Google]
1434306385610.gif
1MB, 191x171px
>during New 52 Wonder Woman
>Hey, you can always go back and read the old Wonder Woman stories. Just because they aren't canon anymore doesn't mean they cease to exist.

>after Rebirth
>HOW DARE THEY REMOVE THE STORIES I CARED ABOUT REEEEEEE

I liked New 52 Wonder Woman but god damn are you people embarrassing yourselves with your hypocrisy.
>>
>>92304289
>Ares was the embodiment of the worse aspects of war
Then why would he be burnt out by them? Wouldn't he be loving this world and strutting like the cock of the walk? In today's world with terrorism and asymmetrical warfare Ares would be king.
>>
>>92302339
I imagine there's way more gay folks than that
>>
>>92304520

small 'g.' he's affected by many feelings like Mortals like Hera and her jealousy or Zeus feeling like a dick and deciding to reincarnate, Ares was already bored of war and was grooming WW as the new god of war from the moment they met. The mentor-student angle made WW and Ares much more interesting.
>>
>>92304409
What Wonder Woman canon? Everything got rebooted. Previous canon didn't matter. Hence why Hawkman's origin was understandable. Black Mantra no longer an Aquaman blaming rape victim. J'onn the Legendary Super Green Martian. Ted is alive and well. Identity Crisis never happened.
>>
>>92304512
the difference is New 52 tossed out continuity for EVERYONE, not just Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman is pretty much the only one to get a complete retcon of her New 52 run in Rebirth, every other character has their New 52 history almost completely intact.
>>
>>92302151

Thanks for that
I hated this new WW origin
Amazons are now killers
Diana now are a teenager
She's not made by clay, this is stupid
80 years of history and they just put all to the trash
>>
>>92304345
I do agree that it was more complicated than it needed to be. If the plan was to merge the continuity from the beginning, why bother with killing off Superbro and bringing Superdad into the limelight first? Makes me think they changed their mind about it later on.

But the continuity merge itself isn't complicated. Everything from the beginning of post-CoIE to Flashpoint happened, then some version of the gay bullshit in New 52 happens, then Jon is born and here we are!
>>
>>92302151
I rather it turns into an Elseworld and then have Azz pick it up where he left off.
>>
Im not really mad its retconned since the Finches already desecrated the run, its the way it was retconned that rubbed me the wrong way. The previous continuities were rent asunder by universe changing events and this was just "LOL lies"
>>
>>92304609
I get what you're saying because it pissed me off too, but actually the "made of clay" thing was actually a later addition to her origins.
They didn't really say how she was born in the Golden Age, but given all the bondage themes going on in that series I'm going to go out on a limb and say fucking was involved somehow.
>>
>>92304683

put it under Young Animal and I would take that and enjoy it immensely.
>>
>>92304588
Give me one good reason why this shouldn't be Athena?
why replace Athena with Ares IN A WONDER WOMAN COMIC!?! She's literally her patron goddess, a beatiful war goddes who is all about wisdom and justice.
>>
>>92302793
>>92302848
>>92303041
>>92303227
>>92303503
>>92303603
>>92303772
>>92304138
>>92304197

Tell me something that i never understood about Brian Azzarello's WW.

If the amazons hated men so much to the point where they talked with glee about castrating the god Hermes while hunting him for being a male god, only had sex with men for in order to expand their ranks killing their partners right after, and only stopped killing their own male babies once the god Hephaestus promised to sell some sweet magical gear in exchange of the babies in order to spare them, why was Wonder Woman so different despite being raised into adulthood by them? Seriously, why didn't Wonder Woman hated men just as much? Why wasn't she a cunt like them?

Sure, the comic showed that she didn't knew about the rape voyages nor baby killings, but she would still learn from them to hate men.
>>
>>92304520

The logical conclusion of a god that is empowered by senseless conflict is that eventually one side wins, destroys everyone else and/or itself, and then the world is a broken husk with no more conflict. This makes his role as God of War useless, so Ares can't ever win on that scale. There's been a few different takes on this. Azz's Ares is one who has gone from being the cock of the walk to realizing how pointless his job is when all that's left for war to be is small and pointless.
>>
>>92304758
because Azzarello actually took the fresh start offered by the New 52 seriously and decided to tell a new Wonder Woman story
>>
>>92304758
Because, quite frankly, Athena wouldn't get beaten down like Ares does. Athena at least has Wisdom and Justice to keep her spirits up. Literally all Ares has is slaughter. He'd get sick of his core essence much more readily than she would.
>>
>>92304512

The difference is, the New 52 Wonder Woman stories didn't immediately start off with a few story arcs explaining why all the previous stuff was shit and wrong
>>
>>92304778

upbringing, Hyppolita bore her trough union with a man.
>>
>>92304409
>Setting the quality of Azzarello's run aside, it takes a steaming shit on the entirety of Wonder Woman canon.

And that's why caring about canon is what kills any drop of creativity in this medium.

Fuck canon, I want good stories. Continuity is good, but unless we're going full Shonen Jump and getting a fixed writing team to write the same title for decades, we need to let canon go a little and just hope for some good stories.
>>
>>92304832

You mean the same Queen Hippolyta that led and condoned that toxic culture the amazons lived in? The one that kept from WW the existence that she had a father? That one?
>>
>>92304497
Why would the goddess of justice be a villain? Why would the god of slaughter and massacres be the good guy? Why would you replace loving sisters with hateful savages?
>>
>>92302151
hey it got 'wait did that happen' in volume 1 so

also superwonder was shit
>>
>>92304836
Nah
>>
>>92304778
she wasn't born of rape, I guess
>>
>>92304919
I dunno, it would make for an interesting story?
>>
>>92304818
>>92304601

It doesn't change shit, though.
>>
File: max lord meh.jpg (21KB, 208x285px) Image search: [Google]
max lord meh.jpg
21KB, 208x285px
>>92304919
Why replace white with black? White for Asian? Lobo for Nobo? White for Green? Red for Green? Gauntlet for Ring? Underwear for no underwear? BSDM with a cape for regular costume with a cape? Red light bulb for Red helmet? Anti-Life for no Anti-Life? Sitting on god's chair for abandoning it? Evil to good? Why do anything at all?

Lets just rehash everything and do a retelling of Crisis of Infinite Earth, Infinite Crisis, Countdown, Identity Crisis, Salvation Run and etc.
>>
>>92304836
DC has released a few out-of-continuity Wonder Woman comics lately (Legend of Wonder Woman, True Amazon, Earth One, Sensation Comics). It just sucks that most of them are origin stories.

If it were up to me there would be at least one monthly book dedicated to out-of-continuity stories for every major character. Continuity is fun, and a big part of the appeal of superhero comics, but sometimes you just want to see Superman punch a robot and not have to worry about it.
>>
>>92305049
Does it?
>>
>>92305120
well the last two did

and the first one is basically Judge Dredd
>>
>>92305004

So not having the rape genes made her a nicer person?
>>
>>92304892
it's amazing how butt blasted WW fans are by the idea that she has a father. toxic masculinity? more like toxic feminism.
>>
>>92305145
apparently
>>
>>92305134
But the amazons were literally the worst part.
>>
>>92305196
matter of opinion, really
>>
>>92305116
>If it were up to me there would be at least one monthly book dedicated to out-of-continuity stories for every major character. Continuity is fun, and a big part of the appeal of superhero comics, but sometimes you just want to see Superman punch a robot and not have to worry about it.

But they did that with the AoS digital comic (as well as the Confidential books). And those comics just didn't sell. If anything the failure of the experiment shows that continuity is much more important to people.
>>
>>92304778

That's why Peter Tomasi's take on rookie Wonder Woman in Superman/Wonder Woman made the most sense given her new canon. Azz's WW wouldn't be all nice and loving like he tried to portray in his run. She'd be a major cunt like in pic related.

Of course Tomasi only did this because his initial arc on the comic was all about Wonder Woman being a huge cunt who learns how to act as a proper hero from the wholesome Superman, who hilariously was a much bigger cunt than WW in the New 52 canon when he debuted, specially in Johns' take on the JL origin. But whatever, WW being thrown under the bus to make SM look good ins't new,
>>
>>92305096
>Why do anything at all
That's a deflection. The real reason is that azz doesn't know how to write women so a large female cast would've beeen impossible for him.
>>
>>92305208
It's the right opinion tho
>>
>>92305271
I disagree
>>
File: IMG_6429.jpg (137KB, 640x420px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6429.jpg
137KB, 640x420px
>>92302267
Wonder Woman fans are like Doctor Who fans.

You have one version you love above all others, usually but not always the first one you followed, and judge the rest against. You have one you hate, but the moment you say it you do remember that there was a lot you liked about it, but on an anonymous Laotian cartoon board you bash relentlessly.
>>
>>92305271
ww fans in a nutshell
>>
>>92305287
Touché
>>
>>92302151
It was a good story, OP. And it told its tale and ended. What more do you want? I'd rather have that than another writer trying to play with what Azz left and failing, like the Finches.
I say let every creative team tell their own version of every part of a character, if they want. If you like the story, continuity be damn.
>>
>>92305289

Being a Wonder Woman fan is suffering. I curse the DCAU for setting me in this path.
>>
>>92305287

agreed
>>
File: IMG_0026.jpg (375KB, 823x1081px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0026.jpg
375KB, 823x1081px
>>92304091
The Scythians they were based on did though.

It'd be interesting to see Womdie tap into her Iranian/Turkish//Slav roots by emulating the real life version.
>>
the best thing to come out of this was the Batwoman crossover
>>
>>92305366
I think Zatanna is aslo half-Turkish.
>>
>>92304520
Ares misses true war. Napoleon, War Of Rose. He misses great heroes and generals.

He blew his load on the World Wars thinking it'd be an amazing new age and fucked up the concept of war.

So he became a drunk, shuffling from one massacre to another terrorist explosion.

The thing is, he was right on the edge of the age of heroes returning. More specifically superheroes fighting supervillains, and Diana becoming the god of war after him truly ushered in the age of heroes and villains.

POTTERY.
>>
>>92305212
I bought every issue of AoS but point taken.
>>
>>92304601
Green Lantern was unchanged by the 52 other than costume.
>>
>>92305572

They gave new origins to John and Guy, though. I hated Guy's new origin.
>>
>>92305572
well yeah that was part of the problem of New 52, some books just ignored it beyond a costume change
>>
>>92302151
Being an Azzfag is basically the same as a casual.
>m-muh couple of years of history is gone
Imagine losing 25 years worth. and the shit it's replaced with is DARK AND EDGY trash.

I take solace in that fact that in just 1 year from now I'll never have to see someone recommend his run as a good starting point for Wondy ever again. It's in the trash where it belongs.
>>
>>92305708
people are upset because Rucka (and Finch before him) replaced GOOD stories with BAD stories

that's it
>>
>>92305708

You know that's not how things work out. People will keep recommending it as a good reading material and eventually others writers will start drinking from its fountain. Wonder Woman never really choke off from the damage Kingdom Come did to her, do you think she'll be able to shake off from Azz's run?
>>
>>92305624
REally? Must have come after I stopped buying then.
>>92305625
I remember a description in the first year of the 52 that was on point.

"The New 52 is like a baby being born and once you think its almost out you see it has what looks like oversized legs. Inch by inch this baby's legs are coming out, but the knees are still in the vagina so you can't be sure how far back in this thing goes and you're beginning to suspect this thing an adult from the waist down."

Surreal imagery, but describes it pretty well. It wasn't a reboot, but it was sort of and the history was unclear and nobody knew how far back you needed to know to understand where it begins.
>>
>>92305751
>Azzarello's Wonder Woman
>Good stories
You can only pick one.
>>
>>92305792
I pick both, you can't tell me what to do, you're not the dad of me
>>
>>92305792

>Azzarello's Wonder Woman are Good stories

done.
>>
>>92305572
>>92305624

Hal Jordan was unchanged, everyone else kinda got shit on pretty hard.
>>
>>92305792
The Hades story was good.
>>
>>92305785
People have already started recommending Rucka's Year One since Azzarello's isn't canon anymore.
>Where should I start with Wonder Woman?
>Well I would've said Azzarello's run but it's not really canon anymore
>Greg Rucka's Rebirth run is now her canon origin
I've already seen these conversations and they'll just get more prominent the more Azzarello's run is pushed out of continuity.
>>
>>92305865

Can they push out Johns' JL story arcs and SM/WW take on villains?
>>
>>92305499
I get that but then why not Athena? I can't be the only one who wanted mature operator Athena and I'm saying thatvwith the design and character that War comes off as Azzwank.
>>
>>92305889
Athena is mostly defensive warfare, or cleverness.
She'd be the patron of police, the National Guard, the CIA, and the FBI.

Ares is specifically the god of offensive war and killing. Since offensive war isn't a thing anymore, the closest modern equivalent in a superhero world is vigilantes going out on patrol looking for criminals while screaming about being the night, and supervillains killing their martial arts instructors for daring to land a blow on them while plotting to use giant robots to attack th city.

So basically you can't say Athena suffers from being an outdated cultural concept.
>>
>>92302151
I only read the first couple volumes. What exactly did this run do that pissed off Wonder Woman fans?
>>
>>92305995
You're just making up excuses now, Athena wasn't specified for defensive war and Ares represents bloodlust and savagery, something that is still very much relevant.
>>
>>92304919
>justice

Athena's "justice" was to protect Orestes, a murdering shitburger on grounds that justified Agamemnon, who was subhuman scum even by the standards of his time. Clytaemnestra did nothing wrong, and Orestes deserved to be torn limb from limb by the Erinyes.

So, yes, Athena being reimagined as a modern day warmonger and profiteer, plotting assasinations, massacres and war crimes while rubbing her hands together and cackling (ie, as a competent Hillary Clinton) would be absolutely in lone with her character.
>>
>>92305995
>mostly defensive warfare

The bitch is literally most famous for that time she helped sneak past the walls of Troy.
Then again, you used the CIA as an example of "cleverness," so you're obviously from a parallel universe where everything is backwards or you're just retarded.
>>
>>92303605
Lot of buzzwords no actual valid criticism. Must be a Marveltard.
>>
>>92304044
Fuck off Superdouche fag.
>>
Athena is more known as a goddess of Wisdom and Heroic Endeavor, that pretty much eliminates her as a villain unless its some weird Earth-3 morality thing.
>>
>>92306462
The Greeks had a very different concept of hero than modern day. I think the last ancient Greek hero was a boxer who murdered a dude and hid in a temple.
>>
>>92306260
No it wouldn't, seriously stop trying to switch Ares and Athena's roles cause that's all you're doing.
>>
>>92306563
So, we'll start with an education on the ancient world:
Ares represented bloodlust and slaughter, but the Greeks predated the whole "turn the other cheek" thing. Ares and Athena had nothing to do with niceties like "who started it."
When someone attacks you and you successfully defend yourself by smashing their skull into a pulp with your barehands, that's your bro Ares. When you spend years plotting your revenge for some superficial slight and commit the perfect murder, that's Athena.

As for the modern world, well I'd reccomend reading Empire by Antonio Negri, but you won't. So the basic point is that since WW2, and especially since the fall of the USSR, the old concept of war has been replaced by "police actions" on the part of the military. Libya, especially, would be an excellent example of the sort of thing a Modern Athena would be up to.
>>
>>92303762
>t. Athenian
>>
>>92302151
Its expected that a toxic character like Wonder Woman would result in a toxic thread such as this.
>>
>>92306973
is this a stealth-tumblr post

does tumblr think Wonder Woman is toxic now
>>
>>92304289
Ares is a war god in the sense of vengeance and justice. And that can get bloody. He's a bit of a dick, but he's by no means "senseless" in his purpose.
>>
>>92306811
Quit your bullshit anon cause nothing you've nothing said has anything to do with Wonder Woman.
>>
>>92307040
Not that anon, but differences in types of war aside, Ares was the god of war that the amazons worshipped instead of Athena, oddly enough. It suits that he would be closer to them; in the Illiad Ares and Pentesilea's amazons fight for Troy. Shit, she's even called Ares' daughter sometimes. While Athena fought for the Aqueans.
>>
>>92307187
Actually, the Amazons and Penthesilea don't appear at in the Iliad. They do appear in the Trojan Cycle, specifically the Cypria I believe, but they do so in the context of arriving "on the scene" quite literally right after the final line of the Iliad "and thus did they burn the remains of Hector" or whatever. I'll double check when I can get home though.

You're quite right that they worship Ares though. Amazons worshipping him also appears in the Argonautica, when the Argo crew encounters several areas sacred to the Amazons and where they regularly sacrifice to Ares.
>>
>>92302151
Why?
It always felt like an extended Elseworld, and the major changes to the character were never going to stick.
Besides, Finch already fucking ruined the whole thing.

Real fucking shame about some of the characters/character design we've lost, I'll admit.
>>
>>92307555
I really liked that Orion.
>>
>>92302548
This
>>92303012
Also this
>>
>>92305865
I didn't give a fuck and started from the beginning, with Sensation Comics.
I can't wait to finally catch up with present day WW and can actually contribute to these threads. I'm still in 2006 because I had to stop for JLA97-06

>>92304157
v2 Dr Psycho was cool
>>
>>92302548
That would be neat. I love Superman but I'm not autistic about his usual story beats.

The Mexican Superman from that one animated movie slightly resembles the version you've made up and he was great.
>>
>>92307624
Same.
>>
I miss War.
>>
>>92302151
You read it.
You enjoyed it.
You can reread it.
That's what matters.
None of it's real anyway.
>>
I think people here are still salty about the Amazons seducing then killing sailors to maintain their population.
>>
>>92314655
This. Your precious canon is stupid and holds back good stories for being told. The only complaint I hear about Azz's Wonder Woman is that it's "edgy" which in this case is just a word that means that it's different.
>>
>>92307187
>>92307515
DC amazons are not the historical Amazons, they are the complete opposite.
>that's the whole point.
Thread posts: 157
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.