[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went so unexpectedly right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 16

File: Book 3.jpg (82KB, 620x794px) Image search: [Google]
Book 3.jpg
82KB, 620x794px
What went so unexpectedly right?
>>
>>92283533
Nothing?
>>
>>92283533
>Zaheer was by far the most interesting villain of the entire series. ATLA included.

>Those prison-break scenes were Bending-kino

>Metal Clan was a cool subplot

>No Nuktuk bullshit

>Milf Su-Yin

Much less filler overall. Felt more connected to the world of ATLA, which is always a good thing.
>>
File: red lotus.png (651KB, 867x552px) Image search: [Google]
red lotus.png
651KB, 867x552px
>>92283533
they realized their protagonists sucked and made up for it by making the villains entertaining
>>
One big thing that it did was focusing on the plot instead of the romance.

Notice how season 4 was also working out pretty well until the last episode, because it was cursed, CURSED WITH ROMANCE (and other really bad decisions like Kuvira blaming being an orphan for her cunt behavior).
>>
>>92283533
I wish we could have seen an Aang vs Zaheer fight.

Dueling it out with the best displays of airbending ever seen while simultaneously having a philosophical debate about freedom and chaos.

Would have been the best fight in the series
>>
>>92283533
It wasn't Season 2.
>>
>>92283573
>until the last episode

No, it went off the rails when a giant purple laser robot was the brilliant plan.

The drop-off in intellectual stimulation from Zaheer to Kuviera was like going from a PhD program back to 5th grade.
>>
1. Korra was more mature than she ever was
2. The villains were really charismatic.
3. The plot was moving foward because it didn't have a romantic tumor.
4. Korra is cute. CUTE!
5. We saw Korra's feet and legs for the first time.
>>
>>92283597
I never minded the robot.
>>
>>92283581
Or at least Sokka vs Zaheer. That would have been pretty badass.

One of my biggest flashback things I wanted to see was full-badass Sokka

>Water-tribe technique
>Kyoshi Warrior technique
>Master Piandao swordsmanship
>Chi blocking (probably learned it from Suki eventually)

Would have been a badass motherfucker.
>>
>>92283611
it just seemed like a poorly thought out plan with relatively insignificant ramifications compared to the Red Lotus wanting to topple every government and destroy the Avatar for good.

Should have saved the Red Lotus for last.
>>
>>92283533
It was plot driven. Every episode had purpose and there was relatively no romance, aside from like 5 minutes worth of harmless Kai/Jinora and Bolin/Opal
>>
>>92283581
>Aang vs Zaheer

I want this as well.
>>
>>92283626
As I said, I never minded the robot but I completely agree Kuvira's plan itself was dumb and stupid and poorly written. But honestly, I'd rather take a flawed but very entertaining season than a boring or generic show. Kuvira was great fun imo. But yeah, Red Lotus were the best.
>>
>>92283533
Flyover states
>>
>>92283626
>>92283652
I'm aware of this show's flaws, but I still thought it was entertaining. And I liked the fourth season.

It wasn't as good as the Last Airbender, but that show was lightning in a bottle. Even is they could have gotten Aaron Ehasz back, there's still no guarantee it would have been any better.

For all we know Ehasz might have been a one hit wonder, and if he came back for Korra maybe he would have done a lousy job.
>>
>>92283688
>And I liked the fourth season
4 is better than 2, it just feels anticlimactic after 3.

That's the only real issue I have.
>>
For the record, I still feel Book 3 is mediocre when compared to anything TLA offers. With that being said, I think it comes down to the pacing and style of story that was being told.

Book 1 was about a.. very slow political story? Half the season was dedicated to Pro Bending and romance. There was threat, but it all slowly built up, up until the lacklustre finale.

Book 2 was this weird angsty detective/family troubles story. I'm still not sure what the fuck it was about.

Book 3 was an actual team adventure with a looming threat the whole season. It felt very similar to TLA in the regard, which is what made it so compelling. The villain has a point. The villain almost achieves their goals. The villain has a cool gang of dudes to back him up with actually good bending. Plus the themes explored are the closest to what we were promised when we first heard about Korra, and it only added to the Avatar universe, not detract from it like the other seasons did.
>>
>>92283713
I guess I wasn't as impressed with Zaheer as a lot of people. A lot of the stuff he was saying seemed naive at best, and liable to do more harm than good at worst.
>>
Mako was a mistake, Korrasami was a meme ship until about half way through the 3 season.

Seriously, remove Mako and the show would have been so much better.
>>
>>92283802
Or, do a reverse Zuko and have him gradually turn evil.
>>
File: 11263676848749893.gif (1MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
11263676848749893.gif
1MB, 500x282px
>>92283533
>travelling team adventure
>high stakes
>WORLDBUILDING
>prison break scenes with awesome villains
>inventive bending that wasn't bullshit
>the scene where they are literally murdering korra slowly and she's fighting the avatar state
>asami becomes more of a character
>a budding korrasami romance makes sense in the context of this season until the sudden dropoff during S4

Really, it felt like AtLA, but with it's own soul. Blows all the other books out of the water.
>>
>>92283810
That would've actually been dope

"I lose my parents. My brother is a fool. The two girls who gave me meaning in life are now dicking each other. What the fuck is the point? Why is my life so shitty? Fuck this, money and power are the only things people respect. Crime is the only way."
>>
>>92283857
>>a budding korrasami romance makes sense in the context of this season
Honestly I just wanted Korra and Asami to develop a best friend dynamic since Asami was so paperthin.
>>
File: angry chinman.jpg (9KB, 255x242px) Image search: [Google]
angry chinman.jpg
9KB, 255x242px
>>92283802
>Mako was a mistake
Mako did nothing wrong. And no, not in the meme way.

He literally did nothing wrong. He didn't cheat on Asami. He was at worst a confused kid that had to worry about his friend being in danger all the damn time while his girlfriend leered at the idea that Mako was afraid of Korra being kidnapped. Then when he's in a relationship with Korra, he treats her with respect but also wants to point out she might be wrong about stuff and she gets so fucking mad at him over nothing enough to assault him at his office. Then he tries to not fuck up with his personal relationships when Korra has convenient amnesia and still loses his two relationships.

And yet people always claim Mako is shitty. He was such a great character, incredibly kind and a hard worker and everyone hates him for no reason.
>>
>>92283897
Best friends can be lesbians, too. Or bis, or whatever.
Asami wasn't really that shallow after seaosn 1 though, she's just not as bombastic as most of the the main cast is.
>>
>>92283941
Mako is hated because he shows how utterly terrible Asami and Korra are as characters.
>>
>>92284046
Korra isn't a terrible character. Quite the opposite. She's very dimensional and complex, especially since her entire story is about her identity as the avatar and how she obviously values herself within that identity. Besides her obvious personality problems because she grew up very as sheltered. Being a hothead was also interesting.

But people don't care because she's not as """likeable""".
>>
>>92284364
This. I actually love series where the main character is flawed, because it makes room for showcasing their growth. As a character, Korra was much more developed and interesting than Aang was.
>>
>>92284364
Well the previous main character was a 12 year old pacifist monk boy scout.

Most characters would come as unlikable by comparison.
>>
>>92284364
I didn't mean they were porely written, I mean they are terrible people. Korra has been a selfish person from season one and remains so throughout season 3. She never learns from her mistakes and often repeats them in regards to relationships (not just romantic but friendships as well) and always seems to be let off by the people around her even when she is in the wrong.

Korra is far more detailed and complex then Aang but that doesn't make her a good character. Despite the air quotes having a 'likeable' character is important. Who wants to watch a series where the main character is the least enjoyable part of the series? The most enjoyable episodes of Korra are ones she is absent or plays a minor role in, season 3 being a key example with the interactions of everyone except her being the more enjoyable ones. There is a reason why Bolin and Mako got more popular as the series went on as their interactions with Korra lessened and were able to develop without her. Hell I'd be keen to watch a series of just Bolin or Mako.
>>
File: 1460995734695.png (349KB, 851x860px) Image search: [Google]
1460995734695.png
349KB, 851x860px
>there are people on this board RIGHT NOW that aren't aware this is just how fascists operate
>>
>>92283941
He's a bad character because he was boring.

Korra and asami are bad because they're characters suck.
>>
File: False Gods and Characters.jpg (407KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
False Gods and Characters.jpg
407KB, 960x1280px
>>92284538
> Despite the air quotes having a 'likeable' character is important.
I disagree. A character can be very compelling or interesting without being likeable.
>>
>>92284605
By the way, this was written by Aaron Ehasz
>>
>>92283563
They also, FINNALLY, ended the relationship drama.

Oh I'm sorry I think the word is love triangle.

Also the villains had the most coherent intentions in addition to running from the red lotus meant it had a very TLA vibe.

Still can't ignore the gaping plot hole with the poison though. Can't bend platinum because it's so pure that there is no earth to bend the material, but pure mercury is a ok
>>
>>92284605
Define likable and sympathetic
>>
>>92284605
Not him and I agree a character doesn't have to be morally good to be written well and likeable. Flawed characters are perfectly capable of being well written and loveable chararactets. If the writing uses them correctly.

The writing handles Korra's flaws very poorly. Her being a complete shithead to Tenzin, going so far as to insult and yell at him in front of his kids after having a meltdown and destroying an ancient airbending of artifact because she was "frustrated", only to have Tenzin apologize later at the cames made me want to pull my hair out
>>
>>92284684
Likeable: A pleasant character who you might want to be friends with or some gay shit like that.
Symphatetic: You emphatize with their feelings and goals as they were your own. For example, a villain whose backstory is sad to make you feel like it justifies their actions.

Not exact. But you know already what those terms mean anyway so you might want to pointlessly discuss semantics.
>>
>>92284538
>>92284605
I kinda liked Korra. She could be selfish and shortsighted, but that can be excused to an extant because she's a teenager that is just learning how the world works.

By the final season she was a little older and seemed more mature.
>>
>>92284658
Remember when they used amnesia to restart the love triangle?
Holy shit season 2 was a train wreck
>>
>>92284705
> I agree a character doesn't have to be morally good to be written well and likeable. Flawed characters are perfectly capable of being well written and loveable chararactets
Missing my point there, buddy. Likeability doesn't matter. What matters in a character is being compelling and interesting. Even if you hate the character as a human being, you might be fascinated to look what he or she is up to.
>>
>>92284728
Me too, anon. Korra is really underapreciated by people in general. I find her so interesting as a main character.
>>
>>92284751
How well you like a character is how well the story used his/her. You cannot deny that scene with Tenzin was written very poorly and in such a way that people will not like Korra as a character.
>>
>>92284768
>You cannot deny that scene with Tenzin was written very poorly
What scene? season 2?
There's many things wrong with LoK but Korra was not one of them. The blatant plotholes, how lame Korrasami was. Hell, how lame Asami was, how flat Bolin was depicted most of the time, how the endings are total deus ex machinas, how lame it was when the equalists just dissapeared after Amon was revealed as a water bender (though at least they changed their form of goverment to a non-bender president I suppose), how they used amnesia to fuck up even more the romantic subplot, how they wasted so much time in romance and sports.

But Korra herself or her actions were never a flaw.
>>
File: korra dp crop.jpg (76KB, 565x565px) Image search: [Google]
korra dp crop.jpg
76KB, 565x565px
>What went so unexpectedly right?
all the rule 34
>>
>>92283581
>needing to see Aang vs Zaheer
>implying Tenzin wasn't completely handing Zaheer his ass until the other Red Lotus people went in on him
>>
>>92283533
Tonaly it felt a lot more like an avatar season than the others. It was an actual group of people exploring the world and what had changed over time. The other seasons don't really explore anything, they just take place in new locations that we learn very little about.

Also Zaheer and his group wasn't on the same level as the other villains who all felt like they were trying to be a bigger threat than Ozai or the last villains. Zaheers group are just clever people using their talents and dirty tricks to get on the level of an Avatar.

The lack of drama romance was also a great break away from what was really really bad about the other seasons. It also managed to stick closer to more of the concepts it introduced, even though it never dealt with Spirits very well.
>>
>>92284751
When it is the man character a certain level of likeability is needed. Someone else in here said it but the way they handle Korra's flaws is done poorly. Most of the time the answer to her flaw is hammered out quickly and is a very shallow answer to what should be a complex problem. It's like the writers get to the edge of making Korra actually have to struggle to find her own answer but then decide to phone it in with someone else giving her the answer. That is what makes Korra so unlikable as she is very hard to sympathize with as often her friends give her the answer despite her being a bitch to them at times.

When season 3 revealed Korra had gone missing I was happy as I thought finally, Korra will have to find her own answers and come to terms with herself and her fears which s likely blocking her ability to bend and unlock the avatar state...no wait here is Toff, its metal in her body and she gives Korra the answer to a very personal dilemma that has no complexity to it except for' stop being a cunt and let people in'.

Season 3 should have kept Korra FAR away from the main plot, mirroring Aang by disappearing when the world needs her the most. Have her undergo a season long journey of self discovery and sympathizing with her former enemies motives even if they way they went about it was wrong.

Shit writing this made me realize why Korra is so bad, because she is a complex character who is not allowed to actualy grow and develop in a complex way. All her flaws and problems quickly receive easy answers. Korra is literally Aang and that fucking turtle lion thing for every problem.
>>
>>92283802
Korrasami is still a meme ship and will forever be that.
>>
File: 1487833423027.png (134KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
1487833423027.png
134KB, 500x700px
>>92284855
Proof that brown and buff is the pinnacle of sexiness.
>>
File: korra stripper 2.png (1MB, 900x1047px) Image search: [Google]
korra stripper 2.png
1MB, 900x1047px
>>
File: korra stripper.jpg (120KB, 549x999px) Image search: [Google]
korra stripper.jpg
120KB, 549x999px
>>
File: Korra bikini .jpg (212KB, 900x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Korra bikini .jpg
212KB, 900x2000px
>>
File: 005 - dQyKKuP.jpg (219KB, 600x880px) Image search: [Google]
005 - dQyKKuP.jpg
219KB, 600x880px
>>
>>92284448
My problem with Korra isn't that she is flawed, but that her flaws aren't explored and that her advantages don't matter. It would have been awesome to see some consistent growth for Korra as she learns that she can be the Avatar and Korra at the same time, but it doesn't really happen. In fact book 4 makes it sound like -Korra- is a flaw that needs to be overcome or removed for Korra to become a good avatar, and i think that is bullshit.
>>
>>92286040
I liked the show, but admittedly I wouldn't mind if at some point someone tried retelling the story, but better. Keep the good stuff/stuff that had potential, remove or improve on the bad stuff.

Maybe in comic form. Like, retell the Amon story, but give it a better conclusion, and cut down the pro bender stuff.
>>
>>92286237
I would love a LoK remake where they focus on the concepts mentioned in LoK and for Korra to get a good and satisfying character arc. She is in fact my favorite character of the franchise even if the story in LoK is not using her very well, though that goes for a lot of things.

Unfortunately i doubt we'll get anything of the sort as Bryke are too busy defending Korrasami and trying to make it a thing earlier in the story, which isn't working imo.
>>
>>92286395
I think the show did have a lot of good ideas, it just was often underwhelming in its execution.

It was still better than a typical kids show, but seemed disappointing after the first show.
>>
>>92286446
Yeah that's my opinion aswell. I really think that Unalaq could have been a great villain, even Raava and Vaatu could have worked (i wouldn't have made them the avatar spirit though could just be Chaos and Order spirits duking it out). Amons the same, could have been great but fell short. And the Red Lotus plot just went away in book 4, such a shame desu.

I had a lot of fun with it though some parts (book 2) was pretty hard to get through so i wouldn't call it a bad show, it just wasn't spectacular, and i think the ended and what followed soured it for a lot of people, me included. Still love the characters though.
>>
>>92283546
fpbp
>>
>>92283563
>Zaheer was by far the most interesting villain of the entire series. ATLA included.
Zaheer was a fucking joke compared to Azula, are you retarded?
>>
From a show adventure and grow up to a silly romance teanager story ..
>>
>>92283533
For the first time they didn't have to defend an unpopular position.

Season 1 saw heroes in the side of social darwinism.

Season 2 saw heroes opposing the only guy who knew shit about world.

But anarchism never caught up.
>>
>>92286395
>She is in fact my favorite character of the franchise
Explain yourself.
>>
>>92283533
Korra is, and will always be, shit.
>>
>>92288385
I like her straight-forwardness and her willingness to fight, and i would have liked to watch her be a powerhouse all the time even if that didn't happen. I also think that her problems were interesting and wanted to see her overcome those problem, even if that was handled poorly. In general i just don't have a problem with Korra at all, it's the writers who fucked her over all the time instead of letting her shine. First half of book 2 not withstanding ofcourse, since that was pretty ooc for her imo.
>>
>>92283533
I liked the character designs.
>>
File: BestGirl.gif (29KB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
BestGirl.gif
29KB, 356x200px
>>92283533
The Best Girl Went right
if she had korra's physique she'd be perfect .
>>
>>92288234
Zaheer was much more sympathetic than Azula, she's a pretty one-dimensional psychopath.

Just like her fans.
>>
>>92290310
>Just like her fans.
I didn't realize she had fans
>>
File: azula upset.jpg (18KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
azula upset.jpg
18KB, 300x225px
>>92291311
Have you been to /co/ before today?
>>
>>92291421
/fit/ is my main
>>
>>92291443
You have to go back.
>>
File: hey kid wanna party.jpg (56KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
hey kid wanna party.jpg
56KB, 704x480px
>>92291619
To the gym?
>>
>>92290310
If either one of them was the psychopath, it was Zaheer. Azula wanted power at any cost, period. Zaheer just wanted to watch the world burn, even if he justified it with philosophical claptrap.
>>
>>92291678
Ha
>>
>>92283581
Zaheer was just talented, he wasn't a master. That's why Tenzin beat the crap out of him.
>>
>>92290310

Her fans are the most mentally stable fans in the world.
>>
File: dubsman.jpg (14KB, 382x302px) Image search: [Google]
dubsman.jpg
14KB, 382x302px
>>92285030
>When it is the man character a certain level of likeability is needed.
Dude, Bateman was a total cunt, he was just funny to watch.
Most of Bryan O'Malley protagonists are also huge jerks, but interesting jerks.

I think you guys who don't like Korra are just a bunch of gays who haven't had to deal with real people in your lives.
>>
>>92291915
>he was just funny to watch.
comedy is endearing even if it is dark comedy
>>
>>92291942
Doesn't mean the character is likeable

People use that term because they don't know how to express why they enjoy something.
>>
>>92292024
they like the character because he makes them laugh.
which is why he's like-able.
>>
The Fantastic 4 were neat.

although I think they are pretty stupid in concept the execution was pretty cool
>>
>>92292072
And I like Korra because she makes my peepee hard, does that mean she's likeable?
>>
>>92292150
>The Fantastic 4
>not the exbendables
come on anon
>>
>>92292227
yeah man, you just have shit moral character for basing your opinions of people on visual factors
>>
>>92292246
>Exbendables

Damn, that's good. I'm gonna start using that one now.
>>
>>92292249
surely liking a narcisistic killer is better just because he's funny at the expense of others
very moral
>>
>>92283533
>What went so unexpectedly right?
ALL THE MILFS THE SHOW GIVE US.
>>
>>92292285
>implying I ever said he was moral
no friend, my statement about your lack of morality was incidental to Bateman's likability.
>>
>>92292329
well, you talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded
>>
>>92292367
lmao
>>
I probably wouldve loved korra and asami relationship a whole lot more if they had just done that from the beginning, but no they had to do the love triangle shit which was just pure bad righting. As much of a tailchaser mako was I could his relationship with korra because it was implied from the beginning. So if it was korra who fell for asami from the beginning and let it subtly grow it would have been perfect
>>
>>92292442
>tailchaser
they chased him because they thought bolin was fat and gay
>>
>>92284855

Korra was not a great show but the porn more than makes up for it.
>>
>>92292493
Bolin is a total bara
All my gay friends had a crush on him
>>
>>92292516
>All my gay friends
how fucking many do you have?
>>
>>92292442
Better idea yet, Korra should have been a asexual protagonist
>>
>>92292442
No relationship would have been preferable.
>>
>>92292608
Almost all of them. Half of them don't even know eachother. It just happened I didn't like sports in school and always got one specific type of friend who was really mellow. I'm basically a male faghag by accident.
>>
>>92292925
Where the hell do you live?
>>
>>92283533
they finally had interesting antagonists
>>
>>92292954
not even in san francisco, just a small city
>>
I didn't like Zaheer and company, they seemed like OP mary sues and their goals weren't even well thought out either.
The best villain of Korra was Kuvira, the only one with a goal that made sense.

I did like the Metal Clan part.
>>
>>92283563
>Milf Su-Yin

She was godawful.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.