[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what is mentally wrong with him?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

File: Calvin.gif (28KB, 221x360px) Image search: [Google]
Calvin.gif
28KB, 221x360px
So what is mentally wrong with him?
>>
what's wrong with his hand
>>
Nothing.

There were moments of Hobbes acting when he wasn't around, such as biting a thief who broke into their house while Calvin and his family were away.
>>
>>92256724
He's six.
>>
Nothing. He's extremely mentally precocious, with the emotional development of an ordinary six-year-old. He might be on the autistic spectrum somewhere, but that's it.
>>
Antisocial personality disorder
Paranoid schizophrenia
Bipolar Personality Disorder
Sociopathy
Pees on tiers
>>
>>92256766
>There were moments of Hobbes acting when he wasn't around, such as biting a thief who broke into their house while Calvin and his family were away.

The only evidence of that was Hobbes' word. We never got any evidence of Hobbes effecting things.
>>
>>92256833
We sometimes do, such as Hobbes tying Calvin to a chair in a way that would have been impossible for him to do himself.
>>
>>92256833
>>92256845
Watterson says it's deliberately ambiguous and subjective.
>>
>>92256932
He must have slipped that one time then, because there's no way Calvin could have tied himself up.
>>
>>92256724
He's woke af
>>
>>92256955
"Calvin's dad finds him tied up and the question remains, really, how did he get that way? His dad assumes that Calvin tied himself up somehow, so well that he couldn't get out. Calvin explains that Hobbes did this to him and he tries to place the blame on Hobbes entirely, and it's never resolved in the strip. Again I don't think that's just a cheap way out of the story. I like the tension that that creates, where you've got two versions of reality that do not mix. Something odd has happened and neither makes complete sense, so you're left to make out of it what you want." - Watterson
>>
>>92256724
Maybe he's just an energetic kid?
Not everybody who doesn't act depressed or melancholy all the time has some sort of mental issue.
>>
More interesting than the chair for me is this: Hobbes usually waits for the bus with Calvin, but he doesn't follow him to school. Does he walk home himself? Does Calvin leave him on the sidewalk and pick him up in the afternoon?
>>
>>92257041
There's a strip where Calvin's mom runs out in the rain to retrieve Hobbes.
>>
>>92256724

He's a kid who has an imaginary friend out of his stuffed doll at a reasonable age a kid would have one

My sister is like 7 and she pretends her baby doll is real a baby for her to take care of
>>
He's six years old and is smart enough to have realized many of the inconsistencies and drudgeries of modern day life, but is too young to have had enough experience to properly deal with any of it or know how to talk with people about it in a diplomatic manner. He uses his imagination as an escape from this, and in attempts to better work out these issues within his own limited understanding of things.
>>
>>92257124
Nah, Hobbes is more than that. He's definitely in the same territory as Harvey.
>>
>>92257124
sounds like a true mother

lemme know when shes 18 senpai
>>
He's a six-year-old with the mind of a kind of dumb twelve-year-old
>>
>>92257041
>>92257084
I don't even to look at the strip to remember this. It warms my heart every time.
>>
File: [001177].gif (32KB, 402x511px) Image search: [Google]
[001177].gif
32KB, 402x511px
ADHD
>>
He is a small child with an imagination.

Something you don't see these days.
>>
>>92258017
Calvin went on to be a doctor and saved many lives.
>>
>>92257084
>>92257041
Calvin shows up home from school every day dirty and messed up. He always claims it was Hobbes pouncing on him.
>>
File: 1493134415605.jpg (33KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1493134415605.jpg
33KB, 480x360px
>>92258017
>>
File: stop it.jpg (168KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
stop it.jpg
168KB, 380x380px
>>92258017
>the "being focused makes you lose your imagination" meme
>>
>>92258017
this triggers me every time
>you have to have adhd to have imagination
>taking pills kills your imagination
>focusing on your work kills your imagination
It's almost as bad as that comic where calvin fugs susie while hobbes is forgotten
>>
Without getting into the reality of Hobbes' existence, Calvin is an overly imaginative child who feels imprisoned by the society adults created that he wants no part of, and is somehow cursed with a viewpoint that childhood is fleeting and adulthood is forever and this pisses him off because he still has to do what adults tell him to do.

He takes no pleasure or understanding in wanting to grow up and doesn't work well in the confines of a standard/traditional elementary school discipline, which is all the more frustrating because he demonstrates not just an astounding vocabulary but the ability to learn on his own terms (though he's still kind of a brat and only learns shit that he WANTS to learn in the first place.) it's not like Bart Simpson all over again where he tries his damndest and still can only make it so far.

He's a negative/selfish spin on childhood innocence and imagination. I don't think just forcing him to fit the mold would do any good and may just break him, but that's getting into too much real world bullshit concerning a misbehaving child with a talking tiger best friend who just wants to tear around in a wagon all day through the country side.
>>
>>92257041
>>92257084
this, his mother brings hobbes back home
>>
>>92258478
I took Ritalin and Adderall when I was a kid and in college and it downright pisses me off when someone who has never taken the stuff takes a moral stance against medicating kids with ADHD.

>they are just being kids, being a kid is not a disease
>they are just turning them into drones
>I know this one kid who acts different when he takes it therefore it is bad
>one person I know even said it was bad for him therefore it is bad for everyone because I said so
There are so many people out there who feel this way. It pisses me off.
>>
>>92259069
It's the same mindset that's getting fidget toys banned in school.
>Something comes out to help kids with ADHD and other disorders focus in class.
>Normal people turn it into a fucking trend and get distracted in class because they missed the whole point of fidget toys.
>Not they're getting banned.
>>
>>92259069
Giving kids psychoactive compounds to solve minor problems like lack of attention in class is brain dead thinking. I was "diagnosed" by a moronic 32 year old female teacher when I was 8 years old. My father told her to fuck off and made them switch my classes to another teacher. Suddenly my ADD was gone! LIterally a miracle what can happen when you have a decent teacher in the classroom and not some wannabe psychiatrist getting kickbacks from the local pharmacy.
>>
>>92258565
taking pills does remove imagination though
>>
>>92259175
That is the parent's fault for doing that.
>>
>>92259383
Anon, do you think this is just happening in elementary schools? It's happening in high schools and college too.
>>
>>92256724
Real question is what is mentally wrong with his parents and Susie for not praising his snow sculptures
>>
>>92259418
They're morbid
>>
>>92259280
This. There's a reason they call it 'little boy syndrome.'

Women don't understand that young boys just want to fight and run around, that's why this shit tends to come from female teachers in particular.
>>
>>92259418
they don't appreciate art
>>
>>92259280
>minor problem
>wasn't even diagnosed
>IF IT WAS BAD FOR ME THEN IT IS BAD FOR EVERYONE
I rest my case.
>>
>>92259431
They're fucking incredible for a 6-8 year old to make out of snow, a notoriously shitty building material.
>>
>>92259418
I always wanted to make snow sculptures blocking my parent's cars
>>
>>92258949
>He's a negative/selfish spin on childhood innocence and imagination
Disagree. Calvin is the normal one
>>
>>92259565
Goals to put on a bucket list
>>
obviously hobbes is calvin's fursona
>>
>>92259406
High schoolers rarely ever have a job and rely on their parents.
>>
File: 1460541266906.png (107KB, 820x549px) Image search: [Google]
1460541266906.png
107KB, 820x549px
>>
File: 4cyl9oI.jpg (211KB, 573x544px) Image search: [Google]
4cyl9oI.jpg
211KB, 573x544px
>>92259892
>not purrsona

Leave. Leave any never return.
>>
>>92259899
Speaking from experience?
>>
>>92259910
Did Kelly draw this?
>>
>>92256724
He's a little misanthropic but he's a cool kid.
>>
>>92259069
The problem they have isn't with medicating kids with ADHD. It's that kids that don't have it keep getting misdiagnosed for whatever reason (including expediency.)

I was diagnosed with ADHD and did not remotely respond well to ritalin but years later it turned out I never had it. My case was more benign since the doctor had a son with adhd and simply went overboard in trying to make sure adhd kids had treatment but there are other cases where it's just laziness on the part of people that should/don't know better or to get kickbacks from the pharmacy.
That last part is what people are talking about when they have a problem with things.
>>
He's just a kid. Written by an adult.
>>
File: 1421828471647.png (50KB, 247x140px) Image search: [Google]
1421828471647.png
50KB, 247x140px
>>92259910
So is Calvin cucked by Rightclops?
And is Kelly dead?
>>
>>92256724
>So what is mentally wrong with him?
What is mentally wrong with you? He's just a kid with an imaginary friend.
>>
>>92262567
>they
>proceeds to refer to a completely different group of people who don't make retardedly huge generalizations about how ADHD is made up and that medication is always bad
Fuck off.
>>
File: 1491842557451.png (29KB, 313x245px) Image search: [Google]
1491842557451.png
29KB, 313x245px
>>92259910
high jej
>>
>>92262567
this. school diagnosed me with it, parents were like no going to a real doctor, didnt have it. i know people who really did need it, but for awhile purposfully wrong diagnosis was an epidemic. be it lazy teachers looking for an easier job or general ignorance of kids with newly diagnosed mental disorders, it was a problem.
>>
>>92258017
>>92259910

Fuck these depressing fan futures have this instead.
>>
>>92258478
>>92258565

Did you play pretend and talk to imaginary friends while doing homework as a kid? Because I sure didn't.
>>
>>92259438

You literally have no idea what ADHD is if you think it's kids wanting to "fight and run around".
>>
>>92262877
They make those huge generalizations specifically because of how fucking widespread generallizing a kid getting bored every once in a while as a mental condition to be treated with drugs became. A person actually receiving treatment they should have is a minority.
It was my generation's gluten allergies.
Everyone goes gluten free to be trendy that people with actual medical problems are in life threatening danger as there's now "Gluten Free" for trends and actually gluten free for people who will collapse and die while having almost no way to tell the difference.
>>
>>92264514
He was pointing out that tards are mistaking that (normal behavior) for actual ADHD as they don't actually understand what it is. The entire post flew over your head.
>>
>>92264170
That's adorable, thank you anon.
>>
File: bad_job_shoveling.gif (40KB, 600x192px) Image search: [Google]
bad_job_shoveling.gif
40KB, 600x192px
>>92259565
I did something like pic related when I was young. I thought it would be funny but my mom brought me inside and hit me across the mouth with a belt.
>>
File: 1469114134259.jpg (43KB, 665x486px) Image search: [Google]
1469114134259.jpg
43KB, 665x486px
>>92259899
Shit, man, I work as a cashier at a grocery store. A large number of my co-workers are high school students.

I've also seen a lot of high school age kids coming into the store to buy the fidget spinners
>>
>>92264693

Wow. What a cunt.
>>
>>92264693
My brother of African descent.
>>
>>92258072
>Calvin shows up home from school every day dirty and messed up. He always claims it was Hobbes pouncing on him.

Fuck you Anon, that's dark
>>
>>92264567
The issue is always the people who push back against the popularization, is the thing. Like banning fidget toys just at the point where it's become trendy enough that ADHD and autistic kids with them feel normal for having them, or aggressively mocking gluten free foods when really the broader demand just means there's more variety and availability for people who do have celiac disease.

If they underdiagnose ADHD then some kids with it get lost in the shuffle and flounder academically and probably develop anxiety over it. If they overdiagnose it some kids get focus meds they don't need but people with actual ADHD are more likely to get treatment. There's a balance between the two that should be struck, and kids with ADHD should get the diagnosis rechecked every once in a while (a good test: does Adderall hype them up further? it's not supposed to), but it's more beneficial to the affected group to scattershot the treatment than to restrict it.
>>
>>92264693
That'll learn ya.
>>
>>92264567
>group A isn't bad because they are group B
Shut up, dude. You are acting awfully defensive and fallacious. I'm refering to a bunch of dumbass I've already described and you are nonsensically defending them by making up entirely different features that don't even apply to them to defend them. You might as well be arguing everyone I am referring to is a good person because they give to charity and don't try to get tax refunds.
>>
>>92264514
If I feel like explaining it, it's usually "I don't get to pick what I think about".
>>
>>92264567
Gluten allergies in general are not allergies but more in line with lactose intolerance. Someone who is lactose intolerant isn't going to necessarily die from having a drop of dairy and everyone has a lactose threshold where excessive dairy can give them intolerance effects. Gluten fucks with people because it's like eating plastic netting and some people cannot break it down as well as others. In general though a gluten free or reduced gluten diet is good for everyone because gluten is pretty hard on the body and gives no inherent benefits. There is nothing wrong with wanting to reduce gluten intake, especially since your ability to process it goes down with age and binge eating glutenous products.

Gluten had to be classified as an allergy to be taken seriously but it does not medically act as one.
>>
>>92265917
You seem awfully high strung.
>>
>>92266578
I WILL FIGHT YOU
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.