[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alfred Jodokus Kwak

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: AlfredJKwak_Logo.png (214KB, 893x1006px) Image search: [Google]
AlfredJKwak_Logo.png
214KB, 893x1006px
My dutch friend showed me this show. Apparently, it was written in the Netherlands, financed by Germany and outsourced the animation to Japan and ran from 1989 to 1990.
Similar to how Moomin was a collaboration between Sweden and Finland with it's animation outsourced to Japan.
I had no idea this show existed and now i am looking to find it in dutch with english subtitles. If you know where to find that, it'd be appreciated.

Obviously it's extremely well known in the Netherlands. How big was it outside? Moomin feels more like it could work as a show for anyone except it has a scandinavian setting. This show on the other hand feels way more targeted to dutch people specifically so i could understand it being the case.

Here is the intro. Pretty damn cute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UKQVlOxgO4
>>
>>92228618
I never heard of it till a moomin thread veered into Alfred J. Kwak. It's surprisingly good, but I doubt it ever had any significant run outside of Europe. The major networks in the USA certainly never ran it, preferring to keep their own shows which they could cash in on with merchandise and shit. I watched most of it with english dubbing, which seemed fairly good.

>I'll sing you the story of a duck
>>
File: ajk-hexpri.jpg (897KB, 1400x997px) Image search: [Google]
ajk-hexpri.jpg
897KB, 1400x997px
>>92228618
Netherlands and Finland got a DVD release of the full series. I'm not sure if any other countries did.

There are a few of these kinds of series; European stories that got animated in Japan around the 1980s or so. They get some local interest and nostalgia in Europe, but there's not much of a subbing community around them. People tend to be satisfied enough with the local dub that they saw as kids, instead of working on "original dub + English subs" projects.
>>
Known in the entierty of europe as far as I know. The german version for example is also spoken by the original dutch guy, because dutch really is nothing other then a really thick german accent. Also sin't there a english version of it? Or are you one of those /a/ level sub>dub guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bd11F_zp9M

If you look on youtube you find a few later episodes with english subtitles but you probably already knew that. Otherwise I found nothing
>>
>>92229482
I could easily find it any dub i'm sure, but yeah, i am one of those fags.
Finding Moomin in finnish with eng subs was entirely doable.
>>
Ik ben vandaag zo vrolijk
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>92228618
Hitler arc is the best
>>
>>92228618
Loved it as a kid. Dolf is Justice.
>>
>>92230297
Fun fact: even after Dolf was ousted he later comes back, runs in the presidential election and comes in second. People wanted him back in power.
>>
>>92230352
Kind of a heavy subject for a children's cartoon. I really need to watch this
>>
>>92230420
Yes you do. There's also a plot about racial segregation in a place that's totally South Africa where Alfred gets a black girlfriend for himself, and there's analogues for the Soviet Union and the two Koreas too.
Oh, and the first episode is about how his parents meet, fall in love, have a bunch of kids and then it ends with everyone but little Alfred getting run over by a truck. So fun times all around. I think there's an A-bomb in the last episode.
>>
>>92230493
Funfact:

The story of Alfred's parents was real and the author of series did this and got inspired to make a story
>>
>>92230493
>There's also a plot about racial segregation in a place that's totally South Africa
Given the history of the Netherlands, it'd make sense to put that in
>>
>>92230598
One of Alfred's childhood friends explains to him how he thinks it's a great thing.
>>
>>92228618
Loved it watching as a kid.
the hitler story really got stuck :^)
>>
>>92230493
>run over by a truck
Alfred wasn't that lucky, they were ran over by rich drunk assholes who later keep fucking alfred over and over.
>>92230297
Dolf was best character, he even says at some point that if he actually manages to kill alfred and become the main character the ratings would shoot sky high.
>>
File: shoe.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shoe.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>92230493
Wasn't even a truck.
It was a limo, driven by 2 rich guys that were building a theme park on the land that Alfreds family lived in and were evicted from, thus resulting in them traveling and eventually leading to the fatal crash

Yes, I have seen that episode enough times to remember it that clearly. It also helps that that scene was so heavy.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.