[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is season 4 the worst season of the show?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: Steven-Universe-title-1280x768.png (1MB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
Steven-Universe-title-1280x768.png
1MB, 1280x768px
Why is season 4 the worst season of the show?
>>
Most people in charge of reeling back the storyboarders left to make their own shows. Without any supervision things like proportions and writing became super inconsistent between storyboarders
>>
Better question what's the worst episode of season 4?
>>
Because the writers and animators stopped giving a shit
>>
The townie episodes used to either build the lore or stevens/the gem's characters. They've stopped doing both and are basically just pointless 11 minute short stories that have no relevance or connection to the main characters, and are of inconsistent quality.
>>
>>92208123

Writing cast change coupled with the ensuing rush to finish episodes, leading to a lack of people's weaknesses in writing being found in time.

For instance, if an episode is fine plot wise but is boring, jokes can be suggested. If the episode is amusing but is required to further the plot, a way to combine them can be found.

It's like trying to complete a hardware project, and you have the choice between completing it fully (leaving it weak overall), or making certain parts great but others with obvious flaws (again, weaker overall).

That being said, I'd say season 3 was the weaker of the two. The recent bomb has been decent, and we finally have some really sadistic villains, which is what people on this board crave for .

That being said, people have been expecting lore every episode, which kinda drew harsh criticism where it didn't belong; for instance, Rocknaldo was great for the running gag of posery in a group.

>You're just a guy with a blog!
>Not gems Steven, rock people, completely different
>Don't say rock people, it's offensive
>Ronaldo's diatribe on how Peridot and Lapis aren't pulling their weight being gems

It made fun of tumblr and /pol/ posters for an entire episode, and all people could focus on was the fact that Bloodstone was just an RP name.
>>
>>92208400
The recent one where Steven spends 11 minutes finding a tape and then he watches the tape and learns nothing and nothing funny happens the entire time
>>
>>92209225
Basically all of this. Thankfully I think by the time the finale bomb rolled around things seemed to be back on track. I've not laughed (or at the very least, chuckled) at SU in a long time.
>>
>>92208123
Season 1-A was the worst season. Almost all townie episodes with inconsequential monster attacks shoehorned in. People just hate on the show now because it's become popular, and because "LOL PERIDOT IS SMALLER NOW" has become a meme.
>>
>>92209225
The S4 finale redeemed season 4. Some real drama, an actual good Lars episode, Homeworld finally stops jobbing and sends someone competent to go after the Crystal Gems.

Plus, Room For Ruby pretty much killed the show's "Steven must redeem everyone" formula, which had gotten a bit stale.
>>
File: 1428074462798.jpg (52KB, 540x583px) Image search: [Google]
1428074462798.jpg
52KB, 540x583px
Honestly it's not too bad, I've been enjoying the big Homeworld bombs and the Steven dealing with his mom episodes.

Then again this board doesn't think Season 3 is the best season so frankly I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>92209569
>Room For Ruby pretty much killed the show's "Steven must redeem everyone" formula

I think the timing of that episode was very intentional. The bad guys are getting more ruthless and powerful, and I really don't think Steven is going to be able to stop a sadistic bitch like Aquamarine by hugging and singing to her.

If you look at how things have progressed since the end of season 3, I think this is all leading to Steven understanding why his mom shattered Pink Diamond, as current events are teaching him the hard lesson that you CAN'T always make peace.

I don't think it's going to lead to Steven killing anyone but it will force him to realize how harsh war can really be.
>>
>>92209631
Another S3 fan? Nice. The only parts of it I didn't care for was the Lapis episodes near the start (Same Old World/Barn Mates and maybe Beach City Drift too) but otherwise it was great.
>>
This season fixed a lot of problems I've had with the show, actually.

No long story arcs? We got two this time. No big plot developments? Steven's going to fucking Homeworld now. Too many Townie episodes? We got a good balance this time. The one issue I had is that Garnet and Pearl got no focus episodes this season, but I can live with that.

The biggest change though is how some of the townie episodes began connecting with the story arc eps. Doug Out and The Good Lars both help set up the season finale and The New Crystal Gems follows directly from the Zoo Arc.

I think as the show's plot gets heavier, the townie eps are going to mix more with the lore ones until you have townie characters directly involved with the main conflict (and it's already begun with Lars stuck on the spaceship.)
>>
>>92209730
I think people's enjoyment of Season 3 directly correlates to how much they like Amethyst.

I like her a lot, though she's not my favorite Gem. I also like Season 3 a lot, but it's not my favorite season.
>>
>>92209331
One must imagine Steven happy.
>>
>>92210045
Who's your favorite gem, then?
>>
>>92210433
Sad Ballet Lesbian.
>>
>>92210800
Good taste
>>
>>92208394
>Most people in charge of reeling back the storyboarders left to make their own shows
Ian JQ left back after Mr Greg (a while before the start of season 4) and no one else left
>>
>>92211065
People leaving is part of the life cycle of a CN show, though. Steven Universe's team is largely made up of former staff members from Adventure Time (including Sugar herself) and it was created by a storyboarder who worked on Flapjack. Now the cycle repeats.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.