[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convergence - Worst event of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: convergence.jpg (47KB, 250x384px) Image search: [Google]
convergence.jpg
47KB, 250x384px
I know what you are going to say: 'We warned you, anon! Everyone here told you that it was shit, yet you still read it!'
My hopes weren't exactly high, but Convergence was worse than I could ever expect. It was full of pointless fights, bad art, character assassination, nonsensical pairings...yet, the main series was the worst.

Why have these boring Earth-2 fuckers as the main characters? Why drag fucking Skartaris into the conflict? Why moan about this uninteresting Telos fucker's life story? Why desecrate the memory of beloved characters? How did Deimos even get the time travelers? At the end Pre-Flashpoint Superman and Lois say they don't have a home to go back to, but where did everyone else from Pre-FP go? This was nothing but another shitty continuity-wank. I can't begin to imagine how incomprehensible this would be to a new reader.

I hope this abomination is already considered non-canon, and mentioned again. Shame on you Dan, for allowing this.
>>
>>92177142

That isn't Civil War 2, anon.
>>
>>92177142
*never mentioned
>>
>>92177179
At least Civil War 2 had presentable art.
>>
>>92177142
Ultimatum killed an entire line.
>>
the tie ins were fun

Civil War 2 and Age of Ultron were straight 110% trash

Ultimatum is the worst thing ever
>>
main story was bad but it had tons of great fanservice in the side stories at least. a feat considering this as just non story that they did while DC was moving offices across the country.

There are still worse events

Amazons attack and Ultimatum comes to mid. And yes I would say CWII was worse because it was such a non story and it shut down the entire line for months and allowed DC to capitalize with rebirth.
>>
File: convergence summed up.png (101KB, 246x286px) Image search: [Google]
convergence summed up.png
101KB, 246x286px
>>92177142
yes it is. I would rather reread the 52 issues of countdown than the 9 issues of convergence
>>
Not even nearly the worst. The main event is just a generic uninspired yearly event.

The tie-ins were a brilliant idea: revisit dead series in their original continuity. Unfortunately not all of them were good and a lot of the appeal was hijacked by needing to align with the plot of the event and adhere to the Hunger Games gimmick.

>I can't begin to imagine how incomprehensible this would be to a new reader
Not everything needs to be made with new readers in mind, dumbfuck.
>>
>>92177142
No, not even close.

>Bloodlines
>Amazons Attack
>Countdown
>Future's End
>Fear Itself
>AVX
>Axis
>IvX
>Civil War 2
>>
Some nice tie-ins so no, but I'm still mad about the Blue Beetle/LoSH tie-in.
>>
>>92177807
What's wrong with it?

Also best non Superman tie-in was Jeff Parker and Doc Shaner's Captain Marvel.
>>
File: convergence swamp thing.png (474KB, 906x458px) Image search: [Google]
convergence swamp thing.png
474KB, 906x458px
>>92177142
Tie-ins that were good:
>Superman
>The Question
>Parallax
>JLI
>Hawkman
>Flash
>Outsiders
>Swamp Thing
>Booster Gold
>Shazam

That's it
>>
>>92177677
Bloodlines gave us Hitman.
>>
>>92177874
It was advertised with a picture of the reboot version of the Legion but the actual comic featured the pre-Zero Hour clone Legion, who look (mostly) the same but lack the development and relationships of the reboot team.

They were also really nerfed so that Blue Beetle and the Question could actually beat them despite being very outnumbered, which resulted in such brilliant moves as taking out one of the smartest people in the galaxy with a paradox despite the fact that it shouldn't have affected him.

It just treated the Legion half of the comic with absolutely no respect in general, and that made me mad because it was the only part of Convergence I was looking forward to ...
>>
>>92177142
>Why drag fucking Skartaris into the conflict
Why the fuck not? It was suppose to be a celebration of 80 years of DC comics being based in New York City.
>>
>>92178350
yeah, but the Skartaris characters were essentially there just to get slaughtered unceremoniously, and didn't really effect anything. they were just walking plot devices
and how the fuck did Deimos even get the time travelers? it was never explained and that's not his usual MO
nice 'celebration'
>>
>>92178122
It also gave us Bloodpack.
>>
>>92177677
>Countdown
What's wrong with that? I actually have enjoyed it.
>>
>>92177142
It was the thing that ultimately killed the New 52
>>
File: Question makes his brain poop.jpg (227KB, 943x1086px) Image search: [Google]
Question makes his brain poop.jpg
227KB, 943x1086px
>>92177142
The Question broke Brainiac 5, so that made Convergence a win for me.
>>
I only saw Convergence through the Earth 2 storyline, though I think that covered most of it.

To be honest, I didn't think it was that horrible. It wasn't great, but I wouldn't call it horrible either. Rather meh.
>>
>>92178877
Didio please don't make me lose all the goodwill you got from Rebirth
>>
>>92178877
>GOOD ONE, DONNA

>I'LL KILL YOU TO DEATH
>>
>>92179393
That was horrible.
>>
>>92177142

I didn't read much of it, but the description "Brianiac takes cities from different multiverses and makes them fight" didn't seem like a good idea or appealing to me.

(I LOVED Future's End though. I just didn't see how it ended yet.)

But the idea just seemed dumb. Brainiacs cities just take the downtown area of some place, does he not realize people really don't live there? They commute from nearby areas too? Cities are just where the skyscapers are. So there is that problem.
>>
>>92181414
Was it?
>>
>>92177142
Ultimatum
Identity Crisis
Age of Ultron
Secret Wars II
>>
>>92177142
Convergence had a lot of great minis while the event itself was meh. It wasn't that bad, especially since it was basically just filler for DC's California move and restructuring.
>>
>>92177353
this, the ultimate universe never fully recovers from Ultimatum
>>
File: Convergence Superman.jpg (117KB, 636x1501px) Image search: [Google]
Convergence Superman.jpg
117KB, 636x1501px
>>92177142
Eh, it's really hard to go all-in on hate for Convergence.

The main story itself was mediocre and uninteresting, but it was hardly the worst event story. It had some good and entertaining tie-ins. Sure the sales for it were terrible, but that was more due to the feeling that it was just a "I guess we gotta publish something while we move cross country." filler event that postponed all the regular series while reorganization happened behind the scenes.

There was some genuinely good things to come out of Convergence. It gave us the current Superfamily which has subsequently brought both Superman and Action Comics back to near the top parts of the industry sales charts. The lessons DC learned from it led to our current mini-event status quo with Rebirth and it looks like they'll hold off on line-wide mega events for years in order to actually make them feel special.

I also respect get the "Hey let's celebrate everything we've done for the past 75+ years." idea behind the overall Convergence concept. It just didn't work out and I wonder if they would have been better served by a few months of nostalgia, publishing a series of 2-issue minis of classic characters, teams and moments that came out of DC during their New York period instead of trying to fit everything into a convoluted narrative.
>>
>>92177142
Convergence had a lot of fun 2 issue minis, problem was that the main plot was tied with the abomination known as Earth-2. Also it was pretty much filler while they moved offices and had no editorial input.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.