[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spencer interview:The Marvel won't be the same

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_8922.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8922.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>"I was always a big fan of stories like Man in the High Castle, or even in the Marvel universe we had done stories like Age of Apocalypse or Age of Ultron that had shown villainous take-overs of various kinds, but they were usually alternate realities or alternate time lines, things like that," Spencer told us. "So a big part of my pitch was 'what if we really do it this time?' What if the bad guys win, and there's a jump in time, and then we see what the country and what the world looks like after they've won?"

>Spencer said the whole issue is built around the fact people still want to believe Captain America is good. "When they see him, and when people within the Marvel Universe see him, they still see Captain America."

>"So even with the Hydra High Council there's a sort of instinct that he's not going far enough, that's he's being too nice," Spencer explained. "That whole issue is really building to showing you 'no, he really is that bad.'"

>"Every time you start to think 'maybe he's OK, maybe this is a good version of bad,' no, he's actually a villain. He does villainous things."

>"It was nice to break everyone out of their status quo and put them in a new place," he said. And part of that breaking of the status quo comes with the death by firing squad of Rick Jones. We asked Spencer about the fate of Rick Jones, and he didn't mince words at all.

>"He's actually dead. As far as I'm concerned, he's really dead," he said in no uncertain terms, but said it wasn't something he didn't arrive at easily. "I think that it was a tough decision. I really like Rick as a character, I've had a lot of fun writing him."

>"He's been big part of my run and I didn't know that I was going to do that when the run started," Spencer told us. "It was heartbreaking to do that to Rick."

>Spencer pointed out "death isn't always permanent in the Marvel Universe, but I will say it's a lot more permanent for the non-super powered characters a lot of the times."
>>
File: IMG_8925.jpg (138KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8925.jpg
138KB, 1024x1024px
>>92134222
>"It's definitely, as far as I'm concerned, Rick's final hour. It's very sad."

>As for how the Secret Empire storyline plays out, Spencer said "if you think that the ending is everyone smiles and says 'no hard feelings' or forgets that anything bad ever happened, that's just not the kind of story that I like to do." He said issue 2 starts in an even lower place than the end of issue 1.

>"They really are broken. It's about what they set out to do in the face of that," he said.
>>
>>92134222
This reminds me when Jimmy Olsen was shot in BVS. And not in a good way.
>>
>>92134536
Did he ever complain about BVS on Twitter?

Come to think of it I wonder what Waid thinks about all this since he's a big Captain America fan and heavily criticized Millar's Civil War.
>>
>>92134250
>As for how the Secret Empire storyline plays out, Spencer said "if you think that the ending is everyone smiles and says 'no hard feelings' or forgets that anything bad ever happened, that's just not the kind of story that I like to do." He said issue 2 starts in an even lower place than the end of issue 1.

so wait, then why did disney put out that nbc article SE having a happy end and everything returning to normal? did disney lie or nick lie? or is legacy going to instantly retcon nick's whole event in one issue?
>>
>>92134572
I don't know about BvS, but I think I remember him implying that people who likes Suicide Squad were alt-right
>>
>>92134250
How many times is the universe going to be divided and saddened? This already happened in Civil War 2?
>>
>>92135680
This should have been civil war 2
>>
>>92134222
>"what if we really do it this time?'

It was "really" done with Age of Ultron and Age of Apocalypse, all these alternate timeline stories where history is altered then altered back to the status quo before the event ends.

The same thing with happen with this event. Oh, it "really happened" but it'll get reset. Do you really think we're going to have a Hydra America setting in the Marvel U within 5 years time? Hell no, it won't last 6 months.

This is the nature of serialized storytelling. You can't make too big of changes to the setting without rendering it unrecognizable to the reader. And the second you're off a book a different storyteller is going to undo every single thing you did.

If you want permanency in your storytelling you need to stop writing for other people's intellectual property. You don't own this stuff, you don't get to make permanent decisions. You'll be lucky if writers of other *concurrent* books even pay attention to your changes let alone once you're gone. Go make up your own character, "Dick Bones", and declare *he* is permanently dead, its the only way you'll get what you want to stick.
>>
>>92134222
Yeah whatever
So and so is definitely dead. Marvel will never be the same blah blah blah

Heard it all before, sell it to someone else
>>
>>92134783
What, are people going to go and call ABC or Disney and accuse them of lying by using Spencer's Tweets as proof?
>>
>>92135835
>serialized storytelling
It actually isnt. Just look at none big two caoe comics or manga. Things dont need to rset ti a status quo, its just the laziest way to tell a story
>>
>>92135869
But they killed of a character for good this time.
>>
>>92134783
Legacy will just erase everything Secret Empire did and no one will care
>>
>>92136303
Just like Wolverine?
>>
>>92136357
Technically the real original Wolverine is still dead. OML is from the future/alt-world? and Laura is his clone and the upcoming Wolverine is his son from the Ultimate Universe
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.