[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The State of Comic Books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

File: girlshatecomix.jpg (50KB, 275x232px) Image search: [Google]
girlshatecomix.jpg
50KB, 275x232px
Take this report from an old man that collected comics religiously from mid-70s until shortly after Civil War 1, if memory serves me right.
Today we went to two stores for FCBD and made some purchases too.
>The rumors are true...something is wrong with Marvel.
>Secret Empire fcbd issue, issue 0 and issue 1: Not a bad story idea. Hydracap doesnt get my jimmies in a wedgie like many online. Its just a Cosmic Cube story afterall. The problem for me is, while the idea is good and the writing is passable the art by 3 different artists is not what I was hoping for. The best was the FCBD artist Andrea Sorrentino. Reminds me of Jae Lee which i always will love that style. daniel Acuna...this guy...this guy gets paid to do this? The prologue art for issue 0 is by Rod Reis and is lightyears better than the sloppy choppy art of Acuna. I find it hard to believe this guy has ever been a hot artist, frankly. His art really hurt the event in my eyes but not as much as Steve McNiven.
***I LOVED STEVE MCNIVEN*** What happened to him? Why has his style become so...subdued and underwhelming? for me, and the long gap in following the monthlies, he has degraded noticeably. Is this his new normal or is this disappointing work the result of the story structure itself? It reminds me of early Brandon Peterson. Not a fan of McNiven here. Add to that the cliffhanger for issue 1 is pretty generic and i have a hard time getting excited especially since i spent $10 to get this story. was it worth $10? HELL FUCKING NO! the price point drove me away long before it reached $5 per issue so I wont be coming back until theres a significant improvement in art quality. Other marvel titles I thumbed through seem to have this same problem with artists. its just not very good anymore.
In comparison i was very very happy with the image titles i picked up. maybe ive just outgrown the marvel formula? maybe but DC is still hitting home runs.
So, screw marvel. buy DC and Image.
the end.
>>
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>92133476
Oh its just me trying to write my thoughts after the bong thing earlier.
>>
File: DS11.png (121KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
DS11.png
121KB, 360x240px
>>92133507
>an old hippy shilling Image
>>
>>92133554
Well, I do like most of what i pick up from image. the only thing is i like shared universe cape shit the most so it that plus pricing makes me really picky. I trust DC the most, which is weird because a s a kid I was a total Marvel zombie...thats what they called us back then...and i didnt start reading Dc until after the first Crisis and the John Byrne Man of steel mini series got me on board. my marvel love however lasted even trhought he 90s...the 90s had some really really really really crappy titles from marvel but they were affordable crap titles. anyways, i prefer DC nowadays. I like the Justice League i picked up, the Superman issue was great, Batman was good too. i even picked up a green lantern, a character Ive never really been in to and found that it too was better than the marvel products i sampled. im NOT a hater but marvel is not the company it once was. idk what the problem is exactly but i do know clean powerful art thats easy to follow with interesting but uncluttered layouts would do wonders for them. And drop the anime/cartoony faces...too many of their books have that shit in them.
>>
Fuck...Im too high to by typing aint i?
>>
I dont buy marvel comics but I still read a few of em
>>
>>92133792
I'm not very much into Marvel, but yeah, what happened to them is very sad to see.
>>
>>92133442
>collected comics "religiously"
>rates Sorrentino over Acuna
>LOVED STEVE MCNIVEN
You suck
>>
>>92134184
If you think Acunas Secret Empire work is superior to Sorrentinos SE work you are retarded. period.
>>
>American comic books
>Quality art
LOVING EVERY LAUGH
>>
File: Kingdom_Come_Vol_1_3_Textless.jpg (1MB, 1600x820px) Image search: [Google]
Kingdom_Come_Vol_1_3_Textless.jpg
1MB, 1600x820px
>>92134744
>>
>>92134744
To me the manga faces are a deal killer plus every single manga looks like it was drawn by the same small studio. Its...homogeneous art. Its okay but it all looks near identical no matter what genre it is.
>>
>>92134809
Not a single attractive woman.
>>
>>92134809
Thats just cover art, not interior
>>
>>92134837
>To me the manga faces are a deal killer plus every single manga looks like it was drawn by the same small studio
Then you've either got that thing where you can't tell faces/styles apart from each other or you've got a pathetically small sample size.

Compare One Piece to Jojo. You really can't tell the difference?
>>
>>92134858
Dont explain yourself to a mangafag. im almost certain he has a fedora and a katana at home plus wears childrens shirts and trenchcoats.
>>
File: kingdom-come_featured.jpg (537KB, 1200x923px) Image search: [Google]
kingdom-come_featured.jpg
537KB, 1200x923px
>>92134858
wrong
>>92134839
>art is bad because I don't wanna fuck the females
k
>>
File: captainweeb.png (6KB, 224x320px) Image search: [Google]
captainweeb.png
6KB, 224x320px
>>92134744
Ok One Piece.
>>
>>92134858
>interior is also Ross painting
I don't know if I would've gone with Ross as an example anyway. I love his shit, and the way he paints costumes as actual clothing, but I know the static posing and Golden/Silver Age wanking turns people away.
>>
>>92134892
Meanwhile it's very difficult to tell western comic artists apart. There are standouts like Alex Ross, Adrian Alphona and some indie artists but for the most part they're all largely the same.
>>
>>92134921
I love Alex Ross and thought his work might be a good example but if you have another artist in mind please post it
>>
>>92134892
I bet youre going to tell me im stupid if i think manga girls are actually young girls. im stupid because they clearly have boobs right? listen, they all look the same. the SAAAAAAAAAME...they all look like teenyboppers or younger. They all have the same goofy eyeballs...the same zipline art...the same everything.theres just no diversity in japan.
>>
We have Sorrentino mentioned here. compare to Alex Ross, compare to John Romita Jr before he got old, compare to etc etc etc American comics have always had more art diversity and japan has always had copyist studios.
>>
Yeah, if you're over 15 and you try to read an event it's probably going to disappoint you
That's just a fact
>>
>>92135023
Literally all golden age and silver age comic artists look the same, the only difference came about in the 80s with people like Todd Mcfarlane and even that lead to more copy cats.
>>
>>92133442
>target audience is women
>books are about big muscular guys wearing spandex in action

Yeah that seems about right
>>
I will say this much for the japs. They draw fashion,clothes,outfits, armors much better than western artists. I do like the way they give characters distinct clothing with elaborate designs...its the only way i can tell the characters apart really.
>>
File: tumblr_mg00rkBGpI1qzjp43o1_1280.jpg (877KB, 1024x736px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mg00rkBGpI1qzjp43o1_1280.jpg
877KB, 1024x736px
>>92135212
I think both have made amazing designs
>>
>>92135072
Kirby, Ditko. Neal Adams, carmine infantino.etc looked nothing alike. i get what youre saying. there was definitely a house style promoted at each company before the 80s. But then even before mcfarlane you had john byrne, george perez , frank miller, dave cockrum, barry windsor smith and many others. If anything the 90s led to a lot of similar styles thanks to the success of Image. I see the 80s period, say Crisis series to the birth of Image as a great time period for American art styles. there was a lot of great great talent then.
>>
>>92134953
I'm not going to call you stupid. I'm going to call you ignorant, myopic, uniformed, and hyperbolic, but not stupid.

>>92134933
I think I disagree. I think it's easy to tell more western artists by their styles, but it's mostly infamy rather than associations with quality. Like, we all know what Greg Land, Humberto Ramos, and Rob Liefeld art looks like. It's SHIT, but it's distinct. But once you get to more aesthetically pleasing stuff it arguably does become slightly more homegenous. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if people mix up Frank Cho and Adam Hughes.
>>
>>92135333
For me its a toss up between Ramos, Liefeld and that godawful Joe Maderwhatshisname as to what artist i hate the most...probably Joe madblahblahblah...I can never pronounce or spell his name.
>>
>>92135333
There are like 3 Cho copycats currently active. Cho also draws all his women with basically the same facial features.
>>
>>92135388
Madureira.
But yeah if we're talking about like, artists I like enough to remember their names, they're about even between western comic book artists and mangaka (although mangaka have an edge by doubling as writers so you're more likely to learn their names). In terms of being recognizable then western artists only edge out in numbers once I think of all the guys that kind of suck.

But that's just me.
>>
File: rome vs carthage.png (1MB, 1696x1200px) Image search: [Google]
rome vs carthage.png
1MB, 1696x1200px
>>92134837
you should read better manga
>>
>>92134744
I never liked all that sound effect and speed line crap they cover the page with.
That art's pretty nice though.
>>
>>92135499
Is that REALLy manga though? They dont have the stupid manga faces and stupid manga eyeballs. I could probably enjoy that. what is it?
>>
>>92135631
manga is literally just Japanese comics, christ.
>>
>>92135664
NO!!!! MANGA HAS PEDOGIRLS IN SKIRTS WITH BIG TITS AND GOLDFISH EYEBALLS AND CHARLIE BROWN MOUTHS!!!!!
>>
>>92135631
Get better bait jethro.
>>
On another note,and if I havent shown my age just yet, haha, this will do it for sure, my wife and i went to, as i said, 2 local shops today. At one the owner and staff were young guys but somewhat normal...akmost like men. At the other though it was disgusting just how pussified the owner and his staff were...it was like shopping with the big bang theory cast except they were all fat guys. Fat guys in small shirts and "im not trying anymore" jogging/track pants or old grunge trousers and sandals. I actually wanted to slap a couple of them due to their whiny nasal voices because if theres one thing men of my generation absolutley hate are men that remind us of the big bang theory cast. My wife is a female so she thinks these types are adorable man-boys close enough to being gay that they could be in the friendzone and never be a threat to anyones relationship. i saw them as the pedophiles of tomorrow and i am sure they like the bronie shit too. idk what happened to men but is was a mistake to let you guys watch BBT for the past 10 years thats for sure.
>>
File: vagabond.jpg (509KB, 1646x1200px) Image search: [Google]
vagabond.jpg
509KB, 1646x1200px
>>92135631
You can find it here (remember to turn on adblock)
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ad-Astra-Scipio-to-Hannibal

I agree with you that lots of manga (just like western comics, as the OP noted) is just trash, but there's some great gems in there. I've found particular luck with manga that have historical (or historical-inspired) settings. Check these out too:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Vagabond
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/vinland-saga/
>>
>>92135857
liberals and feminists took over schools and taught kids that being masculine was bad
>>
>>92135857
your generation enabled these men, congrats
>>
>>92136006
No. the women did. the women and the judges that turned so many of us men into part time weekend dads. the moms and the teachers that told our kids every single thing their dads believed was bullshit and its better to think sticking things in your ass is actually being a real man. thats what happened to you kids. your mothers and grandmothers said they were irreplaceable but anyone could be a daddy and they set out to prove it by shacking up with one stepdad after another, limiting visitations with real fathers and badmouthing the real dad at every opportunity. real fathers didnt do this but the real mothers certainly did. real mothers and their fruitflying gay man into writing our movies and books and cartoons, telling young boys the only way to be a real man was to wallow in selfpity and express every single worry and thought that pops into their little boy brains and tocry, dammit, cry until their throats were raw and someone gave them a group hug for feeling so strongly. fathers didnt do that. your moms and your teachers and your therapists did that to you kids.

honestly you couldnt be blamed for rising up and killing them all then returning to the God of your fathers.
>>
>>92136341
and yet here you are, you paragon of adulthood, on fucking 4chan

congratulations, if only you were in charge of society things would be different around here

grow up
>>
>>92137087
*tips fedora*
>>
File: cerebus.jpg (11KB, 176x216px) Image search: [Google]
cerebus.jpg
11KB, 176x216px
>>92136341
>No. the women did.

Your generation of men enabled feminism because you wanted sex before marriage, this ended up destroying Western society. You don't get to complain about the fucked up children you created through that.
>>
Daniel Acuna is fucking amazing. The problem is that he's basically a painter, instead of a penciller part of an art team. The crunch of the publishing schedule means that his sequential art is minimalized and suggestive layers of color instead of finished cartooning.
>>
>>92137087
I dont get it when people that use 4chan insult other people for being on 4chan. Its supposedly "anonymous" in a time where everyone wants to know everything about you. i would much rather be an anon here, in forums that interest me, than on sites where they want my name and pic and life story. Its bad enough the govt and companies want every detail. i cant stand sites like Facebook where even your family wants to know if you scratched your ass when it itched or not.
>>
>>92137506
See, I THOUGHT I remembered Acuna as a cool cover artist.Thanks. I definitely dont like his pencils. at least not in the issue I have.
>>
>>92137298
...we were stupid to think the pussy was worth it.
>>
>>92137298
this guy gets it
>>
File: is this loss.jpg (47KB, 275x232px) Image search: [Google]
is this loss.jpg
47KB, 275x232px
>>92133442
Hey that's my meme! Glad it got used...

Also, yeah I'm not a fan of Secret Empire's first issue. Might not buy anything else and wait for it to blow over when I hear Marvel is good again (might take a long while though)
>>
>>92137087
4chan is one of the most mainstream websites to ever exist

cut the "sekrit club" crap you fedora faggot
>>
>>92135631
>>92134837
Check out this thread: >>>/a/156794035
>>
>>92133442
Nice blogpost grandpa.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.