[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to Green Lantern: Help?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

When I was a kid, I loved whenever Green Lantern showed up in cartoons. He was such a cool character to me with awesome sci fi adventures, but I never got into reading him. If I wanted to start reading Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, is there stuff I should read beforehand, like the New 52 run? I read the first issue but feel totally out of the loop as to what has happened to the Corps.

As always, any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!
>>
>>92123845

Geoff Johns run is the best place to start. It would give you all the threads they're working off of now, and combined with spin offs at least 300 comics to enjoy.
>>
>>92123845
Beauty about rebirth is that you can hop right into the story.

Start with volume one of Hal and the GL core if you'd like. I'd also suggest the Green Lanterns.

Theres tons of shit you can read back too if you'd like. Like read the first omnibus of Geoff Johns Green Lantern run. Read Tomasi's run.
>>
>>92123971
Won't I be confused about >>92123971
hat's happening? Or do they explain the destruction/dissolution of the GL Corps
>>
Just look up a reading order that starts with green lantern rebirth (2004) and go from there
This is the best way to do it, make sure to read glc because it's arguably better then the main book
And you'll only have around 200 total issues to catch up to today, but you can always skip forward if you're bored
>>
>>92124124

Are you in a rush to catch up? Or do you want to take your time and enjoy the story?

Start at Rebirth to rush. Start at Johns to enjoy. He revamped the mythos in major ways.
>>
If you want awesome scifi adventures then you shouldn't read Green Lantern.
>>
>>92124124
Well if you start with Geoff Johns run you'll basically understand and know what the core and all its important members are about.

Once you read that you can jump in to pretty much any green lantern story (as long as you start at the beginning of the story) and understand what's up.

If you know nothing about the Green Lanterns and know what they about, then I suggest Humpries current Green Lantern run. It essentially follows around Jessica Cruz a newby lantern around. She's a new character, so she can be your way into the core in current continuity, plus the story is pretty damn good too.
>>
Also OP, you're always going to not know things unless you've read every comic book, just roll with it or google your answers

And if a reading order tells you to read a crisis (infinite, final) or a justice league book, know that they're skippable but you can read them if you want
>>
>>92124124
HJGLC Rebirth and the first few issues explain what happened. Basically the GLC went missing and were briefly trapped in an old universe. Those comics weren't great and you aren't missing much by skipping them, you should be fine with just HJGLC

If you want a lot of GL to read then start with Geoff Johns GL, he's the definitive modern GL writer and he's got a lot of good material
>>
>>92124208
I want to enjoy the story
>>
>>92124229
Yup, with comics you don't really have to keep up with everything.

Just role with it. Shit will explain itself later.
>>
>>92124213
Why? Honest question, are you saying it isn't good, or that they don't make for good scifi adventures?
>>
>>92124229
OK, thanks for the advice.
>>
>>92124299
Start at Geoff Johns Green Lantern Omnibus Vol 1

When I wanted to get into GL a year ago now that's where I started too, now I'm working to get caught up I'm on vol 3 and I can already basically tell you most things you need to know. It's a thick book over 1.1k pages.

Spines are bad though have to be careful about that. But if you want to get into GL start there.
>>
File: glv4.png (35KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
glv4.png
35KB, 1280x720px
>>92123845
Rebirth in this pic refers to Green Lantern Rebirth that came out years before the current Rebirth line. a mini series that brought back Hal Jordan
>>
>>92124299

Then start with Geoff Johns and just read from there.

He reinvented the mythos, spun it out into four titles a month at points. He created stories that played with the comics long history very well.

Yes there's a lot of older stuff. Some of it fantastic, spme of it miserable. But he revamped the comic in amazing ways, and the titles are very actively playing with his ideas to this day.

Plus that gives you, ballparking it, 400 comics printed since then. So lots to enjoy.

God 400 issues. I remember when Sinestro Corps War was coming put and the Johns era was like 50 issues in.
>>
>>92124315
Some of it is good, some of it is mediocre, some of it is downright terrible. And you won't be able to avoid the terrible, especially when you go through it like >>92124357. There are going to be a lot of terrible comics that you can't skip because they're "important" or "essential to the story" or some shit like that.

Good luck.
>>
>>92124357

This covers Johns up until the new 52. That reading order is easy. GL 1, GLC1, New Guardians 1, Red Lanterns 1, GL 2, etc.
>>
>>92124430

Actually that image posted contains almost nothing but quality.
>>
>>92124451
>>92124357
What about New 52-present? What's essential/good?
>>
>>92124315
He's either a butthurt Mouseketeer or a salty Kylefag. Either way his opinion can be safely ignored.
>>
>>92124472
Personally, Johns lost me with Blackest Night. We're going to have to agree to disagree.
>>
>>92124490

Well it varies. GLC and GL were good until Tomasi and Johns left. Then....eh.

Red Lanterns got great when Soule took over. New Guardians was servicable. Omega Men and Sinestro were good books.
>>
>>92124517

I liked it. It had fantastic structure for an event. It did lack something in the end. Going straight into Brightest Day cost it.
>>
>>92124521

For about half of the new 52, the two main books had the same creative teams as before.
>>
>>92124490
Johns GL continued into the new 52 and that was good

Sinestro, Omega Men, Larfleeze, maybe Soule's Red Lanterns were good after Johns left

GLC was meh, New Guardians was trash, Venditti GL varied from meh to bad and had awful art

Lost Army was okay, Edge of Oblivion sucked
>>
Green Lantern's fairly unique in that its essentially been telling one continuous story since 1959.
>>
>>92124659

I'm still cheesed that Tomasi rewrote Guys origin. I liked oddly complex with a curious education history Guy. The Guy who helped handicapped kids.

Guy is an ass, but he's a complex well meaning good guy ass.
>>
>>92124659
Yeah it survived both COIE and Flashpoint mostly interact

There's been retcons upon retcons of course but not really an out of universe hard reset

>>92124754
Yeah I really disliked the cop background, the teacher background is far superior
>>
>>92123845
The animated series is a good rundown of a lot of the characters and concepts, even though it doesn't share continuity with the comics.

As for your concern about being out of the loop, that's just how comics work. You have to start somewhere, and with something as lore dense as Green Lantern has gotten it's best to just dive in and pick up context as you go along. As many have said Johns' run is great, but the beginning drops you more into the deep end than the current run does. If you're new it's still enjoyable, you just have to accept you'll have to not know exactly what's going on until you've picked up on enough context.
>>
>>92124804

I often recommend reading Emerald Twilight/New Dawn first. Shodily written, but easy to understand context for Rebirth. You could go all in on Zero Hour, Final Night, and Day of Judgement if you want to make a story of the fall and rise of Hal.
>>
>>92124854
Spectre Hal is really underrated
>>
>>92124854
Hal's heel turn could have worked if Marz had more time to build it up
>>
>>92124797

I really want to know why Tomasi felt the need to change Guys entire history. I get ironing out the wrinkles, but why throw the baby out with the bathwater?
>>
>>92124880

Gerard Jones wrote 2 of the issues, right?
>>
>>92124900
Nope

Jones initially wrote a totally different story that ended with Hal quitting as GL but taking a new hero identity with a new rookie GL being introduced. DC wanted something more drastic and Jones and his editor didn't get along so he got booted and Marz came on
>>
>>92125012

Ah. I knew his idea was rejected. I thought he still penned some of it thought. I don't blame Marz for the shoddy writing. Dude had zero time and harsh editorial, and what could be a great career move if he pulled it off.
>>
>>92125107
Shame he was forced to use the godawful poochie that was Kyle.
>>
>>92125268
..... He invented that poochie you weak trolling idiot.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.