[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

VS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8

File: file.png (1MB, 960x725px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 960x725px
Can Anime and Cartoons be really compared?
Or is the only main difference region?
>>
>>92101422
The difference of region has a lot more differences than just the location. They have different culture and customs which cause their cartoons to be fundamentally different. While it can be appropriate to compare some aspects of them, calling one superior to the other would be like saying apples are superior to oranges.
>>
They can sometimes be compared, like some Cartoons take a lot of heavy influence from Anime (ATLA).

Ultimately I do feel like Japan has a better culture though. I wish we could make cartoons like theirs.
>>
>>92101505
this is what i've always thought too anon

>>92101520
could you imagine if we did that? But like Americanize the fuck out of a cartoon and when translated they wouldn't get anything going on cause it's over the top cheese burger american flags and eagles and mentioning 9/11 all the time, they'd have to skip entire eps
>>
>>92101422
They can, animation, writing, pacing, character developtment, those are all universal traits of animation, the main differences are style & cultural references
>>
>>92101691
When comparing the 2, do you think it's fair to be able to talk about cartoons vs anime to a normal person but when you talk about anime people cringe and say things like "I'm not THAT much of a nerd!"

Cartoons = ok
Anime = virgin loser.

(granted, I've not met a nerd yet that hasn't said he doesn't like anime)
>>
You think too much of what others think. They're virtually the same sans cultural differences.

>>92101545
what the fuck are you even talking about here? Localization isn't exclusively an American thing

>>92101738
I'm more familiar of the reverse case desu to justify watching cartoons by calling it Anime.

Either way this is stupid, cartoons are called anime in japan, I'm sure they don't have inane conversations like this on 2chan. The correct way of using Anime will be just to categorize animation from Japan.
>>
>>92101422
>Anime and Cartoons be really compared?
Of course...samurai jack=shit one punch man=awesome dinamic flashy colored action.
>>
>>92101776
1. I really do, but ya know when you have anxiety it makes you think about everything and trying to like something in public, you're always worried of eyes starring at you

2. I know that. I'm saying an all out 100% cartoon that just straight up makes fun of everything American.

3. I know it is. I'm just separating it due to region I guess. I wouldn't know where to look on 2chan anyways even I went to the site and checked it out.
What I mean about the 2 is saying (american) Cartoons are I guess are "ok" to watch cause they are considered american. While I suppose the anime you may've watched as a child like Pokemon or yugioh is ok to wear on a short but the minute you wear a magical girl shirt you're laughed at.

>>92101827
I've watched like the first 10 episodes of Samurai Jack, it's pretty interesting.
I've not watch One punch man yet.
>>
>>92101861
>2. I know that. I'm saying an all out 100% cartoon that just straight up makes fun of everything American.
>What is South Park
>What is King of the Hill
>What is literally any of Seth Macfarlane's shows
There are so many of them already why do you think it's new?

> you wear a magical girl shirt you're laughed at.
How is that not any different from how they're treated in Japan?
>>
>>92101919
1. Yeah I did think of those too but I don't feel like they make fun enough to be able to push the limits. I guess I maybe asking too much

2. Maybe. I've never traveled to Japan so I wouldn't know. I heard anime is treated the same there in japan. As if it's only for children, but then again, my grandfather once said "there's no such thing as an adult cartoon" clearly he never got to see Bojack Horseman and hentai I guess
>>
>>92101861
>I've not watch One punch man yet.
man you are missing a lot, give it a try
>>
>>92101861
Well you can't just go out in the streets wearing a "Go! Princess Pretty Cure" shirt without people cringing
>>
>>92101960
I have like 200 gbs of animu to watch. I'm trying to get through so much of it but my ADHD says "LOL fuck you!"

>>92101962
Exactly my point!

I think what a makes it ok is how well known it is. You could see someone wearing a Bugs Bunny shirt and think nothing of it. But if you saw some random anthro creature on his shirt you want to call him a furfag and so on. But the difference is, you're jumping to cartoons when you see Bugs and not "Oh god this loser is a gay furfag who wants to fuck Bugs in the ass"
>>
>>92101987
because Bugs Bunny is a Pop Culture Icon you dunce. It's safe to assume that the guy just likes Looney Tunes. If you have a sexy anthro OC on your shirt what the fuck would be the explanation there genius?
>>
>>92101422
anime artists are going to work harder on a show (of course more effort doesn't equal a better show). You've never heard of a western cartoonist ending up in the hospital from over working have you?
>>
>>92102010
I know that anon. I'm just saying in general.

>>92102011
That happened? How the hell did that happen?
>>
>>92102011
Western Cartoonists are actually treated as human beings and not work horses who live on scrap
>>
>>92102011
Or die. Like Kazunori Mizuno who animated Naruto. Its what they get for making a guy animate so many filler episodes.
>>
>>92101987
Indeed, even I cringe too when I see people like that, wearing their naruto bandanas on public, using words like nya, kawaii, yandere, gore, desu, it's just so cringey, I enjoy a lot of things that people consider cringe-worthy too, like ponies, furry art, undertale, and I have seen over +100 animu series, I merely chose to keep it to myself, if you want to wear a magical girl shirt so bad, just do it, everyone else can fuck off, I chose not to wear mine a long time ago.
>>
>>92102099
I have plenty of DC comics shirts and maybe like 3 anime like shirts.
I love being a nerd but anime, even today, is still not widely accepted.

Years back, I went to a TCG/hobby shop commonly and that's actually a bit of what I wore when I played the Naruto TCG. that and my FMA custom fleece. The headband was around my neck. But it was only there.

the fleece was everywhere.
>>
>>92101422
whoever made that really shoulda made some more varied picks
>>
>>92102140
I googled it.
>>
>>92101954
I am in Japan now, and if you like anime past the age of 10 you're an otaku no life. Women get a pass because it's not creepy.
>>
File: 1489954688052.jpg (2MB, 1550x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1489954688052.jpg
2MB, 1550x2560px
>>92102140
he picked up the most popular animes & western cartoons, what did you expected?
>>
>>92102191
Go figure.
What's Japan like (where you at nigga?)?
>>
Oh, hey. It's another shitty vs thread.
Just what this board needs.
Fuck off. I hope all the useless moderators get butchered in their sleep.
>>
File: 1489951993073.jpg (3MB, 1510x2251px) Image search: [Google]
1489951993073.jpg
3MB, 1510x2251px
>>92102140
>>92102195
>>
>>92102195
>>92102219
That's much better
>>
>>92102206
It is like any other country except the food is different. I am just good enough at the language to get by, but I am getting better. Thanks for asking, my friend.
>>
>>92102216
I'm not saying 1 is better than the other at all anon. That's why I said you can't really compare them when they are essentially are both cartoons, the only difference is region really.

>>92102253
Sure, I wanna visit Japan one day myself. I hear most people there speak pretty good enough. I can only imagine how home sick you must get. Ever just goto a McD and get a cheese burger to feel home for a moment? (sorry if I assumed you're American if you're not)
>>
>>92102336
Yeah, I'm an American, but I never really ate fast food so no dice there. I've been here a few months, but homesickness hasn't really hit. The english education in Japan is notoriously bad, but most people know important words even if they don't have the grammar down. People who know english will let you know; I was approached by an old man today who spoke pretty well and it was nice to see how excited he was to speak to me.
Definitely try to go. It's a lot of fun, but a lot of the reasons it gets hyped in the states just isn't true. People are the same everywhere, it's not some magic place.
>>
>>92102375
I hear that a lot too. Friend of mine went and said once he had Japanese ramen he can't stand that shit 25 cents worth.

But I know it's gonna be stupid expensive to go, so maybe my next inheritance can pay for it
>>
File: ching chong intensifies.jpg (167KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ching chong intensifies.jpg
167KB, 1280x720px
>>92101422

A challenger approaches.
>>
What I've always found fascinating is what cartoon means in America and anime means to Japan.

Cartoons in America don't generally have a comic backing or gain a fairly shit one as time goes on later on but they start out unique generally with a very little pool of the big big comics getting cartoon screen time.

However when looking at anime most of these came from a comic, so much so that it's now expected for a comic in Japan to become a cartoon as a sort of rite of passage for that medium.

So when comparing quality of the two I think it's very important to keep in mind what they're trying to accomplish. For example a western cartoon rarely has a previous audience to appeal to beyond trends and maybe in extreme cases the audince of established and credited studios. While anime is generally appealing to the market of established works and making sure to give a fair representation of that previous work.
>>
File: 1438678421699.jpg (80KB, 471x517px) Image search: [Google]
1438678421699.jpg
80KB, 471x517px
STOP. THE FUCKING. COMPARISONS.
It literally goes by personal preference. They're just animations in different countries. It is unfair to compare fairy tail to phineas and ferb. Each country has their ups and downs in animation. The time it was release and it's art style isn't the reason it is shit. Godly shit like Gumball and Monogatari is good enough to prove that fact.
>MLP
>MLP
>MLP
Now I can tell this shit is bait. Mods delete this thread immediately.
>>
>>92102667
i wanna see Alice in the land of [insert book here] either as a series or a movie.

>>92102858
we know this anon. We never disagreed about personal taste. If you can't handle someone's opinion, please get off the internet.
>MLP
what does this have to do with anything?

you're acting like everyone is arguing here. No one is the least bit mad
>>
>>92101422
My only problem with the usual comparisons of cartoons to anime is the huge chunk of late-night (early morning might be more accurate in some cases) japanese shows for nerds that get compared to mainstream american shows for just about anyone.

What I do appreciate about Japan is that the average nerd has a little more influence over what gets made as pushing out merchandise either makes or breaks a show. The loss would be experimental things that don't really fit any mold.
>>
>>92103011
while in America they shit all over good Super heroes making them almost completely unreconizable. Which likely pisses off /co/ to the nth degree. Considering the Wests are Black, Joker is a psycho kid right now and barry is brown haired 5'8 dude.

In Japan it seems they go a bit more accurate and try to get what they can out of it.
>>
File: Fixed.png (1MB, 960x725px) Image search: [Google]
Fixed.png
1MB, 960x725px
>>
Anime
>shitty writing
>cringey dialogue
>flat characters

Cartoons
>shitty writing
>cringey dialogue
>flat characters

Everything is bad.
>>
>>92102099
>gore
How the fuck is that a weeby word
>>
>>92103289
I think because of hentai there's a lot of gore like for gurochan and what not.
>>
Everything about them is different, even if only a little (but usually more than a little). They're not the same or even similar, and operate on completely different levels. However, recognizing this seems to require some extraordinary mental capabilities that only a tiny percentage of people possess. That's why there's always all these "they're the same bruh, just cultural and stylistic differences bruh" comments.

>>92102033
American animators barely even have jobs. Those were all shipped out to South Korea a long time ago.

>>92102191
>I am in Japan now, and if you like anime past the age of 10 you're an otaku no life.
This is not true.
>>
>>92103051
>In Japan it seems they go a bit more accurate and try to get what they can out of it.
Because the characters Japan creates are relatively new and are usually written by one writer with one vision. Most of the characters you mention are older than anime itself and had dozens of writers and takes. Also right now there is 3 Jokers and 2 Wally Wests (one white and one black) in comics.
>>
>>92103444
>This is not true.
Yes it is. Adults reading manga is the only thing that is acceptable in Japan.
>>
>>92103470
Yeah I've heard about the 3 jokers and 2 wally's but I know very little about it.

>>92103500
I can see that
>>
>>92103500
I guess Your Name was watched by 10 year olds then. And The Wind Rises. And Only Yesterday. And Love Live. And Girls und Panzer. And Ordinal Scale.
>>
http://imgur.com/gallery/koaxz
>>
>>92103557
Really, nigger? We're going to turn this thread into an argument about what gaijin think about Japan?
>>
>>92103608
sorry, I was trying to be useful.
>>
>>92101422
>no Eva

This thread a shit
You a shit
>>
your typical 2010s anime
>shows all look the same, since anime is inbred since the 80s
>insuffarable main cast, since the unironic and unreflective use of genre tropes
>budget results in lots of still frames
>target audience are insufferable weebs

your typical 2010s cartoon
>shows all look the same, since all directors graduated at calarts
>insuffarable main cast, since everyone is so diverse and progressive
>budget results in stiff flash animation

I think they're about the same, desu.
>>
File: 543543543t543yt.jpg (412KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
543543543t543yt.jpg
412KB, 2560x1440px
>>92103684
>shows all look the same, since anime is inbred since the 80s
They don't look the same, there are always major and minor variations. Compare Granblue Fantasy and Renai Boukun for example, or Little Witch Academia and Attack on Titan.

Anime hasn't taken cues from American animation since the 1960s, and it's ridiculous to call anime inbred just because it isn't emulating American animation or other media. Nobody ever calls American media inbred for doing things the American way or expects it to take any influence from other countries. The only thing that's expected is that everyone else has to emulate America.

>insuffarable main cast, since the unironic and unreflective use of genre tropes
Everything is a trope. The shit you took this morning is probably listed somewhere in the depths of TVTropes.

>budget results in lots of still frames
They could drop the visual quality down to American levels, that would clear up the still frames issue. But there are reasons why they are not doing that. Anime's use of still frames is misunderstood, exaggerated and demonized anyway.

The target audience of anime is Japanese viewer first, foreign viewers second (if at all), and weebs never. They don't even exist anymore.
>>
>>92101422

They are completely different mediums to me, despite both being animated, the way they are made and their intent is vastly different, in japan Anime is just like tv series ( or a long movie considering most anime are 20 min x 13 episodes) that instead of using actors use drawn people ( hence why anime characters are so similar looking) while cartoons do not try to create a world with the same realistic consistence as anime.

Comparing them is like comparing candy to salad or skateboards to cars.
>>
>>92105349
oh definitely. That's why it's fun to talk about. As similar as they are, they are still very different.
>>
>>92103796

The similarities between those screenshots are greater than the callarts gif that compares shows like Star vs with Gumball and SU.

The differences are as sublte as the cinematography in a romantic movie compared to the visuals of an action movie, but yea, despite being 90% the same they are still much better drawn.
>>
File: WAIFUFAGS.png (83KB, 796x214px) Image search: [Google]
WAIFUFAGS.png
83KB, 796x214px
>it's a cartoon girls cant be waifus episode.

Back to /a/ or I will post cartoon girls on there and see if i get banned globally.
>>
>>92105511
ok you do that.
>>
>>92105397
This is yet again the classic mistake of thinking that the visuals of an animation are limited to what the characters' faces look like.
>>
>>92105565
a good example of that is with Gotham Knight. The film that had 6 different anime art styles and was done in like 13 languages.
>>
>>92103281
if everything is bad, then bad loses it's true meaning. this language 101
>>
>>92105511

I only got banned at /a/ but they took their sweet time now hmm.
>>
both are the same.
anime = "Japanese" cartoons
>>
>>92106273
They are radically different from each other.
>>
>>92106312
They are still both cartoons just like an apple and a cherry are both fruit
>>
>>92106520
No, they are both animation. Cartoons and anime are different kinds of animation.
>>
>>92103796
>t triggered weeaboo
>>
>>92106550
Not really since anime is what Japs call all animated cartoons in their country. There are differences in the way they are animated but they are still animated cartoons. When chinese cartoons are animated like japanese cartoons they don't suddenly become anime.
>>
>>92101422
pick 3 to defend you while the others try to kill you

also you can't pick Haruhi, that's cheating
>>
>>92106838
I'm not a weeaboo. You don't know what a weeaboo is.

>>92106859
The fact that anime means animation does not mean the Japanese have no comprehension of the differences between their animation and everyone else's.

>There are differences in the way they are animated but they are still animated cartoons.
Anime and cartoons are separate and very different forms of animation.
>>
>>92106859

This is quite a myth nowadays, but Japs do recognize and clearly make a divide between cartoons and Anime, they call it "foreign Anime" or a transcription of the word cartoon, they say catyuun or something like that I forgot, and yes disney is huge in Japan, but is in no way grouped with Anime.
>>
>>92106520

No its more like how a tree and a cactus are both plants but look and work in entirely different ways.
>>
>>92105565

Design wise, anime characters are extremely Similar, photography and cinematography are not directly character design, just put Anime characters from diferent Anime next to each other and see how well they blend, even with the whole "calarts" meme, most cartoons have a lot of trouble of reaching that kind of uniformity and they look like they dont belong, to each other.

Kind of like how Gumball works, in fact, I bet this is what they had in mind, to make a toontown type of thing.
>>
>>92107112
>Design wise, anime characters are extremely Similar
What did I just say? You're only looking at the faces. Character designs are not just floating faces. I wonder why so many people have this fixation on faces.

>Similar, photography and cinematography are not directly character design
They are an important part of how the show/movie looks.

>put Anime characters from diferent Anime next to each other and see how well they blend
There are a lot of variables besides their faces, and even those will not likely blend.
>>
>>92101422
Anime has better animation and a far wider selection
>>
>>92101738
Cartoons= virgin loser
Anime= virgin loser
Fixed
>>
>>92106935
Oh god, are you that retard from the other thread? Just end yourself, man.
>>
>>92112138
Why do you redditors keep coming here?
>>
>>92101422
Either one can be shit or good, like how any type of anything can be shit or good
>>
any different culture can be compared
>>
>>92107205

Their bodies also have minor variations they just keep adding layers upon layers of stuff like crazy haricuts and clothing, they try to imitate human condition.

I have always compared anime character design to the one of a character creator in a mmorpg, you have to add layers upon layers of stuff and tehre is so much you can do to stand out.

Cartoon character creation progress is much more similar to that of a mascot, a logo or a corporate identity.
>>
>>92102919

They all think MLP is shit despite being escaped /co/ content, I suppose /co/ is ashamed of MLP, kind of the same way it was about Ruby Gloom or Johnny Test waaay back then.
>>
>>92101422
i think the anime medium is far superior to cartoons because of american culture and their networks feeling the need to intervene in the show and how its written/told despite them knowing jack shit
>censorship
>reviving dead series and making them shit
>interfering with story
>treating audience like retards and insulting children's intelligence to be fair american children are probably stupider

if anything america is making anime worse since as of 2006 or so anime has been made to appeal to western audience instead of their own so they keep shoving out moe shit to appeal to american weebs
>>
>>92115617
If MLP were all humans, /co/ wouldn't care. But being that it's all ponies, that's when they jump ship
>>
>>92102224
lol how?

It's all the same simplistically stylized shit.
>>
>>92101422
They can be compared in terms of execution. I've been watching some highly recommended anime lately, a lot of Miyazaki and other shit. While often, concepts are good and animation is pretty, there's no sense of perfectionism to any of it. Projects seem like they were dreamed up by a storyboard team and then never focused or streamlined. Animation itself is often nice in terms of still frames, but they cheat by using a lot of static shots and not doing any lip-sync.

The biggest thing is that even when anime focuses all of its effort into a big action scene, there is no sense of weight and momentum. This is where japanese animation fails the most. They can draw some really consistent and impressive motion and dimension, but there is no sense of realism to it. Things move without any regard to actual physics or weight, and it's a bit of a turn-off for me.

So in short, cartoons value consistency and fluidity while anime values concept and stylization. Usually.
>>
>>92119680

Miyazaki is barely Anime, they are just recreations of his Peyote trips.
>>
>>92116588

Most anime that takes western influence does it because the people in the staff think the western stuff is cool. Targetting a western audience is incredibly difficult for Japanese production comittees, due to how unpredictable the western market is (at least, how unpredictable it seems to Japanese anime producers). There are a few cases of anime being marketed towards western audiences (Ghost in the Shell, the Cowboy Bebop movie, and the latter half of The Big O being notable examples), but most anime is made by Japan for Japan.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.