[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know Herge disowned this and everything but I tend to like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: soviets.jpg (28KB, 300x396px) Image search: [Google]
soviets.jpg
28KB, 300x396px
I know Herge disowned this and everything but I tend to like to start things from the beginning. If I read this first is it bad enough to make me not want to read the rest of Tintin?
>>
No, but it will feel like you are reading solid poapaganda.
>>
>>92087894
herge said that he didnt start doing proper research on things until the Blue Lotus (something about actually making friends with a chinese dude and wanting legitimacy).

land of the soviets however is even more far off. snowy can talk, tintin is more mischeivous, and theres less of a neutral stance in terms of politics
>>
>>92087894
Tintin is a turbo-asshole, otherwise it's super-fun, but in a very different way than the other books, this is the closest he's ever been to being an anti-hero.

>>92088723
>more mischievous
He behaves like a GTA character controlled by a bored teen kid. He came to a parody of Soviet Russia to fucking wreck it. You shouldn't think about the positive hero of a book that if the police shoots them, they will be completely justified. Tintin in the Congo is completely benign compared to this, but of course THAT is the book that's considered "controversial" because muh racism.
>>
>>92088723
>snowy can talk,
Snowy was able to talk directly with Tintin throughout several album, Even after Blue Lotus.
>>
>>92088972
>but of course THAT is the book that's considered "controversial" because muh racism.
It's the controversial one because, unlike Soviet, it's printing wasn't discontinued and kept being considred as part of the normal series, unlike Soviet.
>>
>>92089033
>Soviet was discontinued
Literally saw it in a book store last week along with all the other Tintin books, and only Congo had a fucking paper cover on it telling how "pictures within may be considered offensive".
>>
>>92087894
Read it and observe how Herge's style develops during the book and through the following books.
>>
>>92087894

no, as long as you're aware of context like how early it is and looks and the obvious propaganda... I don't think either this one or Tintin in the Congo (the other one thats been swept under the rug), are as good a read as even the most dull of the regular Tintin stories ppl know. But if you're into comic history and reading older works just to see what they're about.... its pretty interesting.
>>
>>92088723
If I had the chance to go back in time and kill one individual, it would be that Chinese dude. He ruined Tintin. The hilarious stereotypes ware the best bits.
>>
>>92089152
>Literally saw it in a book store last week
Keyword is "was". In recent years, it was reprinted, but for decades, you couldn't find it on any bookshelves.
>>
>>92089275
I'd kill another Chinese guy even if it meant I was a second world citizen in a Chinese led world with at least interplanetary travel.
>>
>>92087894
It's bad, but it's also a quick read and unintentionally funny. The early books aren't very good (imagine /co/ threads on that Herge guy's web comic about some guy named Tintin going to Congo) but I've enjoyed seeing Herge develop.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.