[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Ultimate Marvel worth getting into?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Earth-1610_0003.jpg (372KB, 1150x1786px) Image search: [Google]
Earth-1610_0003.jpg
372KB, 1150x1786px
Is Ultimate Marvel worth getting into?
>>
It's like taking a bite out of a tasty new pizza at your favorite restaurant, enjoying it, then noticing that a fly landed on the remainder when you go in for another taste.
>>
>>92060216
It used to.
>>
naw
>>
>>92060216
Pick up the Ultimates omnibus by Millar for <$30 bucks on Amazon
Pick up Ultimate Spider-Man 1-133
Potentially go for the rest of the run but it gets more and more garbage the farther you go down the rabbit hole.
Ultimate FF is a crapshoot pick it up if you like Ultimates pick up the first arc at least. It has s revolving door of writers, so it's a toss up on that.
Ultimate X-Men is meh. I don't read X-Men so I can't say one way or the other.
Most Ultimate Events you can stay clear of.
Ultimate War is ok. Ultimate Six is pretty damn good. Ultimate Galactus is written by Ellis and it's pretty damn good.
The Ultimate universe is pretty consistently good, however it does get worse as you go.
Ultimatum is also the biggest middle finger to fans I've ever seen by any publishing house.
>>
its okay, I guess. I mean, if you've got nothing better to do on a long weekend
nothing ever really happens though. its always about to happen, then its suddenly over
>>
>>92060216
Ultimately no
>>
>>92061922
Heh. I see what you did there.
>>
Ultimate Spider-Man is arguably the most consistent and well made Spider-Man story put to print.

the rest of the ultimate stuff is....very hit or miss.
>>
As someone who has read every Ultimate comic twice, and the good ones even more, I would say so.

Hm, haven't done a full read through in a while. Need to find the complete set again though, flash drive with it got corrupted.
>>
>>92060216
I liked Hickman's Ultimates
Ultimatum isn't even hilariously bad. It's just pain.
The Galactus event was pretty underwhelming.

That's about all I've read
>>
>>92060216
Ultimates 1 & 2
Ultimate Spider-Man and related minis
Ultimate Human
Ultimate Enemy
Ultimate Mystery
Ultimate Doom
Ultimate X-Men (read until you stop liking it, and stop there)
Ultimate Fantastic 4
Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2
Ultimate Thor
Ultimate Armor Wars

These are all worth reading, I'm sure there's more but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Ultimatum is dogshit and you should never touch it, but read the Spider-Man Requiem issues, they're fucking great.
>>
>>92066272
Ultimate Gah Lak Tus trilogy (Nightmare/Secret/Extinction) as well, much better than Ultimate Doomsday.

Also Avengers is terrible
>>
>>92060231
/thread
>>
>>92066486
>Ultimate Gah Lak Tus trilogy
Yes, I knew I was forgetting something important.

>Also Avengers is terrible
Opinions are cool, but also go fuck yourself.
I know it wasn't nearly as good as Millar's Ultimates but I enjoyed it well enough. It's like a McDonald's hamburger, not great but enjoyable. Fuck that gay vampire shit though, fuck it to hell.
>>
What's the difference between ultimate and regular marvel?

It's one of the reasons I stopped reading capeshit so fast, all the events, universes, crossovers, etc. Get confusing.
>>
nothing marvel is worth getting into
>>
>>92067550
regular Marvel is Earth 616
Ultimate is Earth 1610
they're alternate Earths in alternate universes/dimensions, no connection to the regular universe, just coincidentally similar
>>
>>92067550
Originally Ultimate Marvel was a simplified, modernized take on Marvel's core cast of characters. It started with Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic 4, and The Ultimates (Avengers equivalent). Their origins were revised to fit better into the modern day, and it was basically all those characters boiled down to their core traits without the 50+ years of baggage to hold everything back. It was a universe where they could do kind of crazy out there stuff with the characters without affecting the main universe's continuity, it was also a little more "grounded" as far as comics go, usually if someone died they stayed dead.

Eventually a lot of those characteristics of Ultimate Marvel were forgotten or just thrown away. People started getting brought back from the dead, Ultimatum fucked everything by just killing like 60% of the character anyone gave a shit about, and it got stuck in a cycle of boring or bad storylines and relaunches. There was always good stuff there, but there was less of it with a lot more shit surrounding it.

Another thing that changed over time, originally all the Ultimate stuff was controlled by a handful of writers (Bendis, Millar, Ellis). Because there was a pretty small talent pool it was fairly easy to keep everything in line with everything else. Eventually some of the old guys left and new people came in, Loeb decided stupid shit like knowing fuckall about the series he was writing didn't matter so we got a bunch of shit where he just wrote people as (shitty versions of) their 616 counterparts and didn't care.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.