[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've been binge watching Adventure Time, because the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 32

File: You scribbled all over it.png (524KB, 982x555px) Image search: [Google]
You scribbled all over it.png
524KB, 982x555px
So I've been binge watching Adventure Time, because the last time I watched this show was around 2013. I'm new here.
I just finished watching the Elemental miniseries and got caught up, and I want to cry. The series peaked at season 5, and since then characters just acted less like themselves sometimes (for the sake of the pointless plot in a single stupid episode), important plots were never resolved or resolved poorly. Now it's just a constant mess of taking itself too seriously, and a big mix of intentionally being depressing and "symbolic". And all the humor now is just fucking stupid, "Chips", "Ice Cream", "Chips"

Symbolism is fine, but what the fuck is with the cluttering the entire thing with mystical dreams and emotions that serve no purpose? What happened to the rare and genuine heartfelt moments that you'd see in episodes like "I Remember You" or "The Eyes"?

This was my favorite show growing up. And I grew up in a poor environment and isolated, I was upset constantly and just hated everything around me. Watching Adventure Time actually made me feel warm and happy when I was alone, made me remember that life shouldn't be taken too seriously, that you should forgive your enemies, and never just assume the worst in people.

..I'm bummed out.
Can I just consider everything after season 5 non canon?
Am I correct or just a really big pessimist?
>>
dude, nothing in the show has really changed. the only person that has changed is you.
>>
>>92048093
most people considered seasons 7 and 8 an improvement over season 6 (the 2nd half of season 5 and season 6 are generally considered the show's nadir)
>>
>>92048093
>Can I just consider everything after season 5 non canon?
None of it ever actually happened. There's no degree of fiction between seasons.
>>
>>92048117
no.
no, you're just a dumb faggot
>>
>Am I correct or just a really big pessimist?
It's not a matter of being 'correct', that's just how you feel and that's fine. That doesn't need to be validated by anyone else.

Personally, I loved season 6, 7 and 8, but I can understand why people wouldn't enjoy them. Obviously there are some duds (Chips and Ice Cream was fucking stupid), but on the whole I think they've been great. As for heartfelt moments, there were tons in Islands and Elements, and in season 7 especially, so I'm not sure what you mean by this.
>>
The show was good. The show lost some charm. It lost a lot in some portions, but it gained some recently. At least I think. 7 years is a long time, and a series stretched out over then can dilute itself pretty heavily against any criticism I got.

Here's what I know. There was a steady decline because of that age old tale.
>THING was original and good
>THING was super popular because of it
>THING got WAY too popular and buckled under that weight
>THING lost its way and is now floundering
>THING is near the end of its life (season 9 being the last) and has learned its lesson
>THING is scarred, but now they're changing things, somewhat, for the better before they go pppbbbttt.

Take that as you will. Focus on the early seasons for just some kid on an adventure with his dog. Focus on the some of the later seasons for non-episodic story. Focus on the middle if you want to see romance destined to be shit on.

That being said; Christ Almighty who's bright fucking idea was it to focus so much on LSP in this new arc? Is she popular to anyone? Am I alone in despising her? Even for comedic relief her being and self is just so fucking terrible.
>>
I stopped watching the show a long while ago but the comic book is still great. It retains the spirit of adventure and humor that the early seasons had but it usually has long arching plots.
>>
>>92048286
Not much of an LSP fan, but I thought she was great in this arc.
>>
>>92048355
Yeah she was better in these arcs than in...
Well any other point in Adventure Time.

But of all the characters and all the things they could do in the crazy zany world, all the other plots that could be touched on or other aspects, someone in the office shouted "Let's like totally use LSP guuuys!"
>>
>>92048117
You're in denial.

>>92048177
>>92048124
>>92048286
It is an improvement, it's still pretty bad though. There's a huge amount of episodes, so obviously there are many good ones (I loved the Islands and Stakes miniseries, a few other episodes were good), but overall it was disappointing. Season 8 I'd rate 6.5/10 overall. Season 7 a 5, season 6 a 4.

Also, LSP is irredeemable.

>>92048127
You don't say?
To people asking why I'm upset:
It isn't just bad writing or being unfunny.
Episodes like Water Park Prank and President Porpoise is Missing flatout bore me and make no sense, it is a chore to sit and watch through so I skim through it to get to the next episode. Episodes like Scamps not only bores but enrages me. Episodes like High Strangeness frustrate me and makes no damn sense, and seems to be proud of it. And episodes like Jelly Beans Have Power just don't have any good ending and leave you feeling pretty depressed and bummed out.
Also needs more Ice King, Marceline too. And just remove LSP entirely.
>>
>>92048117
Well. I thought we all are manchild who miss the chance to grow up
>>
>>92048093
>important plots were never resolved
What hasn't been resolved at this point? Betty and Lich stuff still needs to happen but the show has made it pretty clear they're both going to be addressed in the next one or two arcs. Maja and the elephant are floating around somewhere.

What other hanging plot threads are there?
>>
>>92048398
Season 7 is my favourite season, but President Porpoise and Scamps are pretty weak. Every season has some weaker episodes though. Did you like Varmints, Flute Spell and Hall of Egress? Those are the best eps from 7 IMO.

Water Park Prank is almost universally recognised as the worst episode in the series. High Strangeness and Jelly Beans Have Power are both great in my book.
>>
Season 6 had some amazing episodes but also some real stinkers, "Sad Face" and "Chips and Ice Cream" are some of the worst episodes of the entire series, and "Water Park Prank" IS AT's worst episode.

"Wake Up/Escape from Citadel" were masterpieces. Though controversial I loved "Breezy", "Food Chain" was beautiful, and "Jermaine" was spectacular.
>>
>>92048495
>Show has made it pretty clear they're both going to be addressed in the next one or two arcs
Anon I think you're confusing "I fervently hope" with "they made it pretty clear"

Ain't no where there did they make clear they'd resolve it. They keep alluding to it. But they keep alluding to and dealing with the Lich since 2010 and that shits been resolved so many times it's a meme.

Betty? Yeah that did end in a cliffhanger, but a lot of shit in AT does. Aliens? Primordial Entities? Abraham Fucking Lincoln the King of Mars? The state of the world we see in Lemonhope's Song? Lemonhope himself? Finn's dad (Yeah we know his origin now but now he's Fat Han Solo, and why does he keep showing up if they don't deal with him really, or the content of SPEHSS)?

If anything the only thing we are nearly-promised to see be dealt with is Jake and his monsterity exposed but, I wouldn't doubt it AT just goes "oh lol it's all good. Look! I'm okay!" and everything goes back to normal.
>>
>>92048538
I think Food Chain is the best episode of the whole show, honestly. Everything about it is masterfully done.
>>
>>92048518
I liked Varmints, loved Flute Spell, and think Hall of Egress is one of the best episodes of the entire show.
>>
>>92048573
Alright, I can see why you'd feel burned about the Lich.

I have faith they'll resolve the stuff with Betty in the next arc. You clearly don't. I'm not gonna try to argue when we just have different expectations from the writers.

I don't know what you expect from the aliens or ancient entities. They're a part of the show's lore. Ancients seemed like they were mostly there to give Gunther and the comets context. If nothing else happens with Gunther being an ancient one by the end I'll be disappointed, but I never got the impression the ancients as a group would lead into stuff.

What the fuck do you want from Lincoln being the king of Mars? It was a joke. Then he traded his immortality to death for something, I dont remember what, and was taken out of the show. Do you really want an episode detailing Lincoln's claim to the throne of Mars? It could be funny I guess but it's not something I'd say we need to see.

Future of Ooo needs to be explained, youre right about that.

Finn's dad chose unexistence over existence and went with the blue meteor lady thing to go not exist. He's out of the show man, his story is concluded.
>>
>>92048692
In order
>Lich
Yup. Burnt out. Hopefully his remaining incarnations burn to a honey crisp. Or here's hoping the Lich in Baby-mode turns out to be a deus ex machina later in the series in a good, satisfying way.

>Betty
Yeah. This arc made watching Betty hurt. Not that she was bad, but because she was shown to be the bad guy. She's one of the only antagonists I can think of in those usually-cancerous "did nothing wrong" threads.

>Ancient Entities and Aliens
For the alien bit, they keep showing up and are highly influential. Martians and those colonists from Tree Trunks' last episode. I'd like more done with them. More focus. Maybe visit more alien worlds. I dunno. It's like having the story mention "Oh hey look, we have fairies that grant wishes and return Finn's Arm!" and never mention them again.
Ever.
Just an element we never see dealt with again.

The Ancient Entities are a lot more mysterious than the Aliens but more interesting. We see them used by the big baddie Lich to prepare to destroy the Universe. We see Lich-Baby bring up that spine-tingly speech.
"Before there was there was the universe, there was nothing. Darkness. And before there was nothing, there were monsters."
I want to use that more for stories.

>Lincoln
Okay I was really just grasping for straws, but Abraham Lincoln being king of Mars, which is repeatedly brought up, could use some touching up.

>Future of Ooo
Who knows maybe they will. I'm too jaded at this point though to have hope.
Lemonhope.

>Finns Dad's nonexistance
Okay got me there.
>>
>>92048573
Lemonhope and Martin's arcs are done. King of Mars is dead. Aliens were a joke. Not sure why you expected anything more from these things.
>>
>>92048692
Not the guy you were talking to but:

In not even a month we will have a total of 2,000 days since Ice King was revealed to be Simon Petrikov, whether or not they actually solve that VERY important plotline - it's way too long for them to just carry it out. 2,000 days and all they do with this is have a few episodes where they just tease you about how trapped Simon is. They're gonna keep holding onto it and never actually have a satisfying ending you can really trust and feel comfortable with. An ending they'll have will probably just be a mundane little cop out, it'll probably be from some cosmic entity seeing how they've exhausted every possible way to fix Simon on Ooo. And that just isn't right.
There's a similar situation with the Lich, going back and forth and never really being resolved, the guy is just God at this point.

Finn's dad's ending was unsatisfying and sudden as hell, his character wasn't ever defined beyond being an uncaring jackass and compulsive liar (until Islands, which made you feel bad for being totally right about him).
Speaking of unsatisfying and sudden: Jake's kids.
Jake and Lady suddenly have kids and it sparks everyone's interest in the show, then they age to adulthood in 2 episodes and they're rarely ever seen again. Jake goes back to living with Finn.

The entire future and past of Ooo still needs to be explained by the way, the glimpses at the beginning of it all were from singular subjective flashbacks without much context.

It's a great show, that's actually what angers me. It's a great show and they just don't really know how to solve things.
>>
>>92048093
>I'm new here.
stoped reading there
>>
>>92048838
>>92048827
>>92048821
>>92048692
Actually, talking to y'all, I realize something.

The show 'has' resolved a lot. In its own little way.

It just so happens that its done in such a way that it feels empty. Void. Neglected. Nonexistant. So devoid of any impact or material that it was as if a ghost drifted past a fading flame only to let it flicker slightly, beneath the notice of any and all people in the room.

Now I'm sad that a show I've been with since the beginning is, by a majority of the episodes I watched, kind of a dull waste of time.
>>
>>92048093
Yes. That's what you get for watching Cuckventure Time.
>>
>>92048926
Adventure Time Brotherhood when?
>>
>>92048926
The problem is you expected some kind of grand narrative, which is never what AT was about. AT is just like life; characters grow at their own pace, conflicts arise and get resolved. There isn't necessarily a rhyme or reason to it, things just happen, and slowly things change about the characters and the world. That's why I love it. Ooo really feels like its own living world, and over time when you look back at the earlier episodes you can see just how much things have changed.
>>
>>92048914
>>92048939
You're clever.

>>92048926
It's as much of a waste of time as any other show. There were amazing things in it, some moments that really made me feel things and definitely many characters that I cared an awful lot about and found extremely interesting. These things are still important to me and I will always hold them dear to my heart.

"The good things don't always stop the bad things but vice versa, the bad things don't always spoil the good things and make them unimportant."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9HkCHjnPnU
>>
>>92048355
All the inspirational supportive stuff LSP did here Jake or Ice King should've been the one doing.
>>
>>92049004
Not in the beginning. In the beginning I saw a quaint little adventure. Boy and Magic Dog. Lolrandom world. Ending song summed up the show perfectly.

It was a boy's dream in summer.

Then they introduced more overarching plot. More elements of story that captivated us.

And then we got dropped off in the ghetto with no ride home.
>>
>>92048093
>2014
>growing up with
Come back when you're older and more experienced. 4chan is bad for children.
>>
>>92048838
>The entire future and past of Ooo still needs to be explained by the way
Does it? I like the mystery, although I do hope we get some allusions to how Ooo becomes how we see it in Graybles 1000+. With the crown's gem coming out at the end of Elements, we probably will.
>>
Honestly if they just streamlined the show to have every episode include a mix of Finn, Jake, Marceline, and Ice King it would have been much better. Every episode would either be
>Episodes about modern Ooo with Finn and Jake, and sometimes Ice King and Marceline.
>Episodes about the creation of Ooo and Marceline and the tragedy of Simon turning into Ice King
>>
>>92049313
>">2014
>growing up with
Come back when you're older and more experienced. 4chan is bad for children."

2014? The show started in 2010.
Not a child.
Also, you should quit being so sly.
>>
>>92049376
Well yeah it shouldn't be obvious right from the get go, and it hasn't. But you can only have so much speculation. Tbh I'd like some sort of explanation beyond the unresolved teases.

>>92049400
Fucking this.
>>
>>92049400
I could not disagree with you more, but okay.
>>
>>92049490
I'm actually interested in why you disagree, unironically. What's your rationale for the clusterfuck of characters that AT has now, or did you have a different idea for how to streamline it?
>>
>>92048093
>>92048573

Everyone in this thread is literally autistic. Did it ever dawn on you that this show is SURREAL and SURREALISM doesn't need to be explained down to its minute points?

Abraham Lincoln is King of Mars. Why? Because it's funny and out there. Stop taking every single thing for a rabbit hole.
>>
>>92049524
I think if you streamline AT, you ruin it. The whole appeal to me is its sprawling world and varied cast of characters and stories.
>>
>>92049608
The show relies to much on lore and it's background to be surreal. It's just a mixed up, blended together, paste of cliches mixed together and done up with a interesting art style and the promise of answers to questions the writers don't really care about because they are a bunch of tumblr shippers who can't remain consistent on their characterizations and portrayals of the characters and their world.
>>
>>92048093
>This was my favorite show growing up
get out you fucking underageb&
>>
>>92050200
Show debuted seven years ago. If he was 11 when it came out then it's fair to say he grew up with it.
>>
>>92050260
4chan is a 25 and older club kiddo.

The years are like water...
>>
File: fucking kill me now.png (118KB, 509x488px) Image search: [Google]
fucking kill me now.png
118KB, 509x488px
>>92050260
get out
I'm not old
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
File: IMG_8145.jpg (36KB, 750x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8145.jpg
36KB, 750x375px
>>92048093
Are you me? So many aspects of this resonate with me, even the isolation within a poor environment. I loved this show when it started out but for the reasons you mentioned I dropped it and haven't really looked back. It's sad how it has fallen, feels like the show and everything associated with it is a shadow of what it once was. I think you're pretty justified in your feelings on the show
>>
File: 1492982167350.gif (2MB, 400x357px) Image search: [Google]
1492982167350.gif
2MB, 400x357px
OP, join the legions of other worthless anons who can only cry on about
>not muh adventure time
rather than just fucking enjoying the show. The last few seasons, yes, deliver completely different narrative payoffs than the first few, but it's entertaining regardless and, frankly, has been on the upturn for the last several dozen episodes.

Even if the newer stuff isn't your cup of tea, it isn't as if it undoes all the seasons you like. You can still enjoy the parts you enjoy and not enjoy what you don't. You talk about growing up with the show, but it seems like none of its lessons really impressed themselves on you and you didn't grow up at all.
>>
File: RWBY6_009959.png (720KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
RWBY6_009959.png
720KB, 1280x720px
>>92050511
>enjoying a desecrated corpse of wasted potential.

Not this time.

Not again.
>>
>>92048093
>This was my favorite show growing up.
Underage b& get >>>/out/
>>
>>92048093
>The series peaked at season 5
HA
Funny joke. The series started going downhill around season 3.
>>
>>92048093
i just want to thank you for taking the time to write a critique/complaint post that doesn't sound like blatant bait.
>>
I prefer the later seasons to the earlier ones. Don't know why, can't put my finger on it, just do.
>>
>>92048093
>So I've been binge watching Adventure Time, because... and I want to cry
how about you go outside, live your life and find something really worth crying about?
>>
>>92052098
Found the newfag
>>
>>92048286

I love LSP. But I'm a trash princess so there's that.
>>
File: I'm the one who's changed.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
I'm the one who's changed.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>92048117
>>
>>92048093
>>92051855
I'm glad someone shares my opinion there. S5 feels the most "adventure time"-ish and had a lot of great episodes. The humor was at it's best. I still like the show though, although I find there's a higher number of duds these days
>>
>>92048093
Sorry to be a spoonfeed fag, but does anyone have a link to elements? The mega link leak I had got taken down b4 I could download...
>>
I hate how the crew started treating Finn starting by the 4th season and it only got better with the start of the Islands arc.

That LSP got to fix everything is just another bit of shit on the mountain of fecal matter that has been accumulated by the show-makers along with fucking Breezy (Kill Cinnamon Bun and make it a long, humilating death for him that makes everyone in the show laugh during his burial) and the preceeding Ice and Fire.

And there's muh lesbians. I don't need to eloborate any further, everyone knows about the toxic Bubbline-faggots.
>>
>>92054371
Try this.
https://mega.nz/#F!Ch1GBLTI!s6noidO-_jr2XgsWd1JWkA
>>
File: Everything will be alright.png (849KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Everything will be alright.png
849KB, 1280x720px
>>92055162
>https://mega.nz/#F!Ch1GBLTI!s6noidO-_jr2XgsWd1JWkA
Mah boi
>>
File: tumblr_nucgqtzGDX1qfo5ojo1_1280.png (273KB, 1022x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nucgqtzGDX1qfo5ojo1_1280.png
273KB, 1022x600px
>>92055098
I liked Breezy
I liked Frost and Fire
I like Bubbline

But we can still be friends
>>
>>92055098
>I hate how the crew started treating Finn starting by the 4th season and it only got better with the start of the Islands arc.
Dude, Finn has been treated better since the start of Season 6. And it's precisely Breezy that made Finn better.

That image in your quote is complete projecting of something that isn't actually going on.

>That LSP got to fix everything is just another bit of shit on the mountain of fecal matter that has been accumulated by the show-makers
Dude, I think it's all right if LSP got her moment. Especially the way it was brought it worked out completely.

>And there's muh lesbians. I don't need to eloborate any further
Well, there is really nothing to elaborate, as it has actually never been an actual thing. The important relationship between Marcie and PB is that they have been friend for almost a 1000 year. It's that friendship that define that define their dynamic more than anything else. (also, both have got boyfriend inthe past).
>>
File: For You.png (239KB, 1024x754px) Image search: [Google]
For You.png
239KB, 1024x754px
>>92055357
You're welcome.
>>
File: S5e52_BillyLich.png (766KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
S5e52_BillyLich.png
766KB, 1920x1080px
The excuse/reason for the Lich coming back so many times is that he's a force of nature. Remember the comet in Evergreen?
>He's apparently existed since before nothing
>He was the comet during Evergreen, wiping out the majority of life
>His next known incarnation was as the Lich King during the War
>Still the Lich King but hopping from body to body

When they beat the Lich, the "I want to end all life" force will just come back as something else
>>
File: Lumpy_Jake.jpg (26KB, 493x472px) Image search: [Google]
Lumpy_Jake.jpg
26KB, 493x472px
>>92055098
The LSP thing could be explained with the first few episodes of the show
>LSP bites Jake
>Jake turns into a Lumpy Space Jake

She always had the ability that the other princesses got after they became elementals so I guess it goes Lumps <---> Normal <----> Slime/Candy/Fire/Ice and if you're S/C/F/I and get bit or injected with lumps you go to normal and if it happens again, you go lumpy
>>
File: tumblr_of1p36eH6V1tzkt70o2_1280.png (238KB, 924x882px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_of1p36eH6V1tzkt70o2_1280.png
238KB, 924x882px
>>92048093
>Can I just consider everything after season 5 non canon?
Well I consider almost everything after Season 2 non canon, so...yeah. whatever floats your boat
>>
File: Simon.png (133KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Simon.png
133KB, 500x281px
They should have left this as the only Simon stuff besides Finn occasionally calling him Simon instead of the Ice King
>>
>>92055933
I was fine with the Simon/Marcy episodes, but all the Betty stuff shouldn't have happened. Then again, I really liked You Forgot Your Floaties and Elements, so maybe it was a happy mistake? Time will tell. I really hope the resolution to this Betty/Crown arc is satisfying.
>>
File: 1415879104103.gif (2MB, 410x231px) Image search: [Google]
1415879104103.gif
2MB, 410x231px
>>92055415
>I liked Breezy
okay
>I liked Frost and Fire
sure, why not
>I like Bubbline
No.
>>
>>92048355
I hold these beliefs as well.
>>
File: Betty1.jpg (137KB, 521x810px) Image search: [Google]
Betty1.jpg
137KB, 521x810px
>>92056023
I've posted this a few times but I really liked how they handled Betty in the comics

Lich puts Finn/Jake/Ice King in their perfect world dream
>>
>>92055835
It's also a sort of LEgacy epiosde to thanks PEnn ward for creating the show. See how all the character are around LSP and thanking her?

That's the Advneture Time cast thanking Penn for giving them that awesome gig. (Penn Voice LSP, in case you don't know).
>>
File: Betty2.jpg (272KB, 828x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Betty2.jpg
272KB, 828x1280px
>>92056067
>>
>>92055835
Kind of a side note,but I am almost certain that the whole "if you are bitten by a Lumpy Space, you became a Lumpy Space" has been silently retconned to never be mentioned ever again. This kind of power make LSP and her people way too powerful.
>>
File: Betty3.jpg (278KB, 825x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Betty3.jpg
278KB, 825x1280px
>>92056090
>>
>>92048093
jesus, you're new here, but you're already going on about nostalgia and wasted potential?

Elements was good. Every episode from here on out is probably going to be good. Season 9 is gonna wrap the hell out of everything, so I look forward to that.
>>
File: Betty4.jpg (348KB, 827x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Betty4.jpg
348KB, 827x1280px
>>92056116
>>
>>92056023
>but all the Betty stuff shouldn't have happened.
I strongly disagree. i have enjoyed all of the betty episode quite good. She has really become an interesting character since magic has kookooed her own head a bit. I am looking forward to see what she will do on Mars.
>>
File: Betty5.jpg (379KB, 834x1275px) Image search: [Google]
Betty5.jpg
379KB, 834x1275px
>>92056140
>>
File: Betty6.jpg (347KB, 823x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Betty6.jpg
347KB, 823x1280px
>>92056163
>>
File: tumblr_onasoambPr1r07jmvo1_1280.png (534KB, 1280x1366px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_onasoambPr1r07jmvo1_1280.png
534KB, 1280x1366px
>>92056047
Why do you dislike it so much? The episodes with them have been good - Sky Witch, Varmints.
>>
>>92056155
I think she's gonna be fried by that wand
>Magic Man I give you two choices: one is total annihilation. The wand will touch you and your soul will meet with Death; the second is to use the power of the wand to convert your body to living stardust where your consciousness will be jettisoned in the infinite cosmos on an endless journey of wonder and discovery
>>
>>92056155
I agree, she's been pretty interesting since YFYF. The way they brought her into the future was really stupid, but I'm glad they've managed to make something cool from it.

>>92056067
How does IK recognise Betty?
>>
File: gynHFiq.jpg (138KB, 666x1024px) Image search: [Google]
gynHFiq.jpg
138KB, 666x1024px
>>92056351
Lich's power apparently trumps the crown's maze power in the comics. Lich allowed Simon to remember Betty so he wouldn't interfere
>>
>>92056351
>The way they brought her into the future was really stupid
I don't really see why. it was a nice episode.
>>
>>92056434
That episode had some of my favourite Death quotes
>You're gonna be the Ice King till the sun blows up, this is your once chance
>You lose Simon, sorry man

Very upset that Death's voice actor passed away
>>
>>92056494
>Very upset that Death's voice actor passed away
Wait, WHAT?
>>
>>92056541
He died on January 19, 2017, from throat cancer
>>
>>92056203
Overexposure. It's become extremely forced and has degraded any dynamic they might have once had with other characters, platonic or otherwise.

I don't mind them hanging out or being friends, but do we always have to see them together? Feels like they've become less individual characters and more a token pair born of pandering to a particular vocal minority.

Too many things about it just rub me the wrong way.
>>
>>92056595
>>92056595
Damn. That's really close.
>>
>>92055098
>(Kill Cinnamon Bun and make it a long, humilating death for him that makes everyone in the show laugh during his burial)

Wait, seriously?
>>
>>92056067
What issue is this from?
>>
>>92049652
Pretty much this.
>>
>>92056627
>It's become extremely forced and has degraded any dynamic they might have once had with other characters, platonic or otherwise.
How so? They don't have *that* many episodes together. Obviously there's 'Stakes' but outside of that, there isn't much. PB does get focus outside of Marceline, and Marceline doesn't get much focus in general, which is a shame. Can't pin that on bubbline though.
>>
>>92048117
I could imagine one of op's friends telling him the same thing outside hottopic
>>
>>92056111
I thought the Elemental bullshit made a nod to that though, Lumps are the anti element thus when a Lumpy person bites them they become a Lumpy person because the lumps are overpowering the elements existing in that person, or whatever.

I wouldn't say it's been retconned, just the show understands a gag like that has very little mileage so they never bring it up. Not really a plot hole because I don't think there are any situations LSP is in where she would want to try biting everyone to get her out of trouble or something.
>>
>>92058290
>I don't think there are any situations LSP is in where she would want to try biting everyone to get her out of trouble or something.
There are other Lumpy people. Some ogf them might have ambitions.
>>
>>92048355
She was as good as she could be, but at the end of the day LSP is still LSP: a very shallow character that won't develop into anything more interesting and is only good for laffs. She did bring the laffs, but we could have gotten those from other characters who are not only funny but also interesting enough for the audience to care about.

But I can't be too mad, because LSP was just fine. Her aggressive flirting is always chuckle worthy and she had some killer lines in Elements.
>>
>>92058317
They're all just people who act like shallow teens occupied with being popular and all that hogwash. A lumpy person who goes against this grain and tried to be something more might be interesting but from what we've been shown I don't think there's anything wrong with them just not being important.
>>
>>92048093
if betty gets dispersed I'm rioting
>>
>>92056434
Because Betty as a character was retarded then and it took them years to make her halfway interesting.

Seriously, Betty's okay now but I have no idea how people defend the rushed mess of her introduction episode, was full of ideas that should have been awesome but just fell all over the place.
>>
>>92056952
Yeah, you're a delusional idiot.
>>
>>92058439
>Because Betty as a character was retarded
I disagree.
>then and it took them years to make her halfway interesting.
You mean, the second epsiode in which she appeared? After she appears in Betty, the next time we saw her was in "You forgot your Floaties" So, they managed to make her interesting almost immediately.

The Betty episode do a great job at introducing her AND establishing her love for Simon.

>t I have no idea how people defend the rushed mess of her introduction episode
Because the Betty episode was really fun. It was no more rushed than any AT episode. They all work on 11 minutes and they do the best of that time.
serioulsy, this episode was good, Bela Noche betrayal and how the wozzard reacted to was fun. Simon's reaction when getting back his mind was really nice to see. And getting to see the kind of PErson Simon fall for was interesting too.
>>
File: tumblr_nxdotfy5BC1qauvvxo1_1280.png (167KB, 609x508px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxdotfy5BC1qauvvxo1_1280.png
167KB, 609x508px
>>92058765
Rude.
>>
>>92058910
Even the second episode was only setting things up. She was whatever in it until she went crazy with Magic Man's powers, then she actually became worthwhile. If you disagree then that's fine but in my mind she was a total bore.

And what? Betty was rushed as fuck.
>wizards fighting anti-magical being, introduced and defeated in like 2 minutes of screentime
>Simon comes back, meets with Marceline, they have next to no time to interact, set up the stupid time travel plot
>Betty has no time to have any interesting personality, doesn't react to being in the magical future at all, gets a magic carpet from her ass then goes off and defeats Belle Noche by punching her (him? I forget what the fuck Belle Noche was) twice, then she disappears for practically an entire season

That had SO much more shit crammed into it than the average AT episode, and it was mostly pretty fucking important shit involving the show's lore and major characters. If you don't think it's rushed that's one thing (which I disagree with) but to say it's no more rushed than the average AT episode is just you being stupid as hell.
>>
>out of all the seasons to choose from 5 is the best

I think it's just you, OP. Season 5 had good episode but it's faaar from the best, Season 1-3 are better for random adventure sake and Season 7-8 are better if you care about an overarching story. Hell, season 5 is considered to worst by many because even if it had some good episodes like Simon and Marcy or Time Sandwich, it shitted the bed story-wise with "Jake the Dad", "Frost and Fire" and Betty, and also had it's fair share of snorefest attempts of adventure like "One Last Job", "All Your Fault" and "Davey".

I think you are just nostalgic for shit that happened 5 years ago.
>>
>>92059172
I don't look back too fondly on season 5 and I think it was because it was when the show really shifted into being plot focused and all that shit vs the fun of the early show and it was pretty sudden, but as the seasons went on they got things more under control. I feel like I consider it worse than it is since it had a good amount of high quality eps but overall it was wack.

And I hope you aren't implying One Last Job is at all bad, might be the best Jake centered episode of the show. Was a great ep.
>>
>>92048093
does ghost shrimp still work on this series?
>>
>>92059172
Jake the Dad was good. I guess people were disappointed the pups grew up so fast or something? Even then, the pup episodes have been decent. Ocarina, Daddy-daughter card wars and Wheels come to mind.
>>
>>92059297
I think so. He was off the team for a long time from like season 4 to 7, but I think he did stuff for season 7 and is also doing stuff for 9, not sure if he did stuff for season 8 though.
>>
File: 2MGDK82.jpg (747KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2MGDK82.jpg
747KB, 1920x1080px
>>92059262
>might be the best Jake centered episode of the show

Not even top 3.
>>
>>92059335
this guy knows.
>>
>>92059297
>>92059322
He's worked on the next 3 season 8 episodes, and said he worked on the final story arc on his facebook page.
>>
>>92059335
Jake the Brick gets its dick sucked so much more than it deserves. It was just fine but definitely not the best Jake centered ep, was just an averagely good episode.

I feel like I missed out on some super deep meaning this episode had because certain people really love the shit out of it. Still not sure why this of all AT episodes was what finally got them that Emmy.
>>
>>92048093
My thoughts exactly.
The writing disappeared up its own ass and they just couldn't decide what way yo take the characters, so they took them all the ways.
The really frustrating thing is how long nothing changed, even though the ante was upped all the time.
It's like they took the last bit of Sugar's writing they had and made it a prophecy.
Everything stays? Can do! Let me just nudge them in a direction, then back again. Over and over.
They had Simon's wife ported into the future and handed her magic, trying to return him to normal. But nothing came of that. Except a weirdly mild chiding from their god.
Jake has a growing family, but he's never really moved out of the tree house for long and they go ignored unless convenient.
Finn sailed the sea, found his family history and... went back home, secure in the knowledge that his mom is a medical AI now.
They couldn't even make Marceline not a vampire for a season or two. Or mention her inheritance of the fucking Nightosphere in forever.
There is just no economy in the storytelling.
It's like watching a sitcom, but all the writers are on conaine and keep pumping out pitches for shows, then have to work them into episodes when they come off their high because they keep forgetting what they are trying to do and get excited with their ideas.
It would explain all those dropped plot points.
>>
>>92059387
some things are the epitome of cozy.
it's different for different folks.
none of it was deep, or mind bending, or revolutionary
just cozy.
>>
>>92059457
>It would explain all those dropped plot points.
Literally what? This is a meme complaint. Name some.
>>
>>92059457
>Except a weirdly mild chiding from their god.
yeah, normal man holding the wand of disbursement means she's only getting a stern talking to.
>>
Well it's changed so much because a ton of people left over the past 7 years.

Sugar doesn't even work on the show anymore.

The islands series was great though, in fact, I think season 8 might be the best, or second-best season as long as the remaining episodes are good. And I've watched every single episodes of AT since it started in 2010.

You guys don't realize that AT is supposed to be an annoying cliche cartoon just like how it started off, but what makes it good is the very rare and short moments of emotion and realism.

What ruined that, is when they kept trying to force everything, like ruining betty and ice king as a couple with all this BS.

It is supposed to be a random show for kids with some really realistic and deep thoughts hidden in the background.
>>
>>92059457
>Or mention her inheritance of the fucking Nightosphere in forever.
which she declined in en lieu of not being controlled by chaotic demon magic.

there were 2 whole episode about that.
>>
Why does every fucking AT thread on /co/ immediately become a "Season 7/8 sucked/was perfect" bitchfest?
>>
>>92059766
This thread's been alright actually.
>>
>>92050511
>>92052098
Why are people like this?
You aren't enlightened because you refuse to admit it's gone downhill, or you know that the real world is pretty obviously more important.
This entire board is meant for bitching about cartoons and comics.
..So why are you here?

>"It isn't as if it undoes all the seasons you like."
Of course.
"The good things don't always stop the bad things but vice versa, the bad things don't always spoil the good things and make them unimportant."

>>92059335
This guy knows what hes talking about.

>>92059537
He just named 4 right off the bat.
>>
>>92060038
>admit it's gone downhill,
that's an opinion based on what you liked about the show and where you wanted it to go.
>>
>>92060038
>to admit it's gone downhill

But it hasn't, it changed, you really can't provide any critisim as to why Islands is bad aside from "I don't like it". The direction is different now, but not bad.
>>
>>92060038
Betty ain't a dropped plot point.
Jake's family has had several episodes.
Those other two points are dealt with already.

The only thing they arguably dropped was Maja. AT generally doesn't just drop plot threads.
>>
I've been watching AT since 2010 and I've watched every episode, but I'm new to /co/.

So is every AT thread just arguing over what seasons are good and what seasons are bad?

Here are some objective rankings:

Season 1: 7/10
(Finn and Jake being heroes)
Really funny nonsense cartoon, a little less funny than Regular Show, but the show is very creative.

Season 2: 9/10
(There is more to the world than Finn and Jake)
Extremely creative and insightful episodes that focus a lot less on the protagonists, and more on the setting and introducing characters.

Season 3: 8/10
(Digging deeper into the characters)
Very emotional and eerie season that explores the characters and starts to explain the backstory behind the setting.

Season 4: 10/10
(Getting to know the characters personally)
A lot of singling-out characters and entire episodes focusing on a few characters, only to reveal something important about them at the end.

Season 5: 8/10
(The show is no longer episodic)
Meaning that it doesn't happen episode-to-episode anymore, things are happening in a clear order to tell a structured and well thought -story. At the end of the season, it goes back to chronology and exploring more characters.

Season 6: 4/10
(Surprisingly goes straight back to episodic)
Completely random nonsense happens episode-to-episode that isn't connected, and doesn't really feel on brand for the show. The direction completely changes.

Season 7: 6/10
(The show has lost direction)
The show is not in the direction that season 5 set up for anymore. Instead there are a LOT of episodes about philosophy for some reason. Also a lot of strange introductions and storytelling that is very very bad, similar to season 6.

Season 8: 8/10
(Trying to make a plot again)
The show tries to recover and make some kind of continuous plot. Pre-introduced characters are explored further and introducing new characters is kept at a minimum, and is done correctly.

Hope they finish off strong it is my favorite cartoon.
>>
>>92061010
I mostly agree with this review.
>>
>>92061010
Bretty decent review guy I'd give it a solid 7.85/10
Though I feel like the reasons you're a bit harsh on 7 don't match up with what you described about it, I don't think it had much philosophy at all (certainly not to the level of season 6) and I don't get why you think the storytelling was so bad.

Might be the first person I've seen who thinks 4 was the peak of the show.
>>
File: 1394500205563.png (473KB, 936x540px) Image search: [Google]
1394500205563.png
473KB, 936x540px
>>92048093

>I can only experience emotion in a narrow band of social contexts, therefore everything outside said band is unnecessary
>I can't handle metaphors because I'm an anglo

yeah fuck off m8
mystical side of AT is great, and possibly the best thing that happened to western animation in 21st century.
>>
>>92061010
Completely disagree on 4, that's probably my least favourite season. I loved 6, but I know that's a divisive one. Would definitely bump up 7 as well.
>So is every AT thread just arguing over what seasons are good and what seasons are bad?
Sometimes, but not usually to this extent. The OP sort of lends itself to this discussion. It is interesting though, because the opinions vary so much compared to other shows.
>>
>>92048093
>Watching Adventure Time actually made me feel warm and happy when I was alone, made me remember that life shouldn't be taken too seriously, that you should forgive your enemies, and never just assume the worst in people.

You should just watch Steven Universe instead then
>>
File: meatwad gets it.png (132KB, 500x302px) Image search: [Google]
meatwad gets it.png
132KB, 500x302px
>I don't understand thing, I don't like it.

What if you are supposed to *not understand it*?
What if it was made this way specifically, as a storytelling solution?
How about that.
>>
>>92048286
I absolutely HATE her. I remember an episode where she appeared with baby Lich I think, where everything treated her like shit. I felt sooo good watching that
>>
>>92062015
> she appeared with baby Lich I think, where everything treated her like shit. I felt sooo good watching that
I'm a fan of LSP and I felt this way as well
>>
File: 569d13f5b6e48.jpg (236KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
569d13f5b6e48.jpg
236KB, 1920x1080px
To me Adventure Time sucks ass because Finn still gets treated like Dogshit by everyone but Jake.
>>
>>92062427
Finn deserves to suffer.
>>
>>92062451
Not as much as PB does, she's a Psycho Bitch
>>
>>92062427
>Finn still gets treated like Dogshit by everyone but Jake.
what do you mean?
>>
In other news, is anyone else completely hyped to see what is happening with jake?

I thought that was the best (only good) part of elements.

I wonder how long it will be like that. Hopefully they don't fuck it up, it's a perfect opportunity for some great episodes.
>>
>>92062671
>They really need to start making it illegal for twats and manginas to work in entertainment media.
that's anti-semetic
>>
>>92062692
>I wonder how long it will be like that.
I hope it stays around for a while and we get a proper jake origin story.
>>
File: tumblr_op96xeliWL1t0t09yo1_1280.png (62KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_op96xeliWL1t0t09yo1_1280.png
62KB, 576x432px
>>92062692
Jake seems cool with it.
>>
>>92062569
I mean the nigga got his arm chopped off, his daddy doesn't exist anymore and he saved Ooo countless times but he doesn't get anything for it. He deserves at least a cake or something
>>
>>92062797
>dirt beer guy coming back to help Jake deal with minor changes in the exact same setting that Jake helped DBG get over the premise of being a zombie now

byootiful
>>
>>92062797
"minor changes"
I bet that he didn't even notice at that point yet.
>>
>>92062852
Jakes the kind of guy that wouldn't think a re-skin is a huge change, especially when he can change his form at will.
>>
I'm in a similar boat as OP. I haven't watched much AT in years, but seeing that it's going to be ending soon, I thought it would be worth watching the whole thing. Even if I don't enjoy it, I would like to see it out. Does anyone know where I could watch all the eps with kisscartoon gone?
>>
>>92063076
Dailymotion.
Thread posts: 149
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.