[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In hindsight, was 4kids really "that" bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 441
Thread images: 84

File: 4kids.jpg (27KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
4kids.jpg
27KB, 600x350px
In hindsight, was 4kids really "that" bad?
>>
>>92035642
yeah
>>
>>92035642
There once was a man named Gold Rogers
>>
>>92035642

TMNT was the only good thing they ever did, and Peter Laird had to fly in a lot of writers and a voice director from outside 4Kids in order to make it as good as it was (and story edit the whole thing himself). It was good IN SPITE OF being produced by 4Kids.

The rest of their catalog is comprised of shitty dubs of already shitty Japanese cartoons.
>>
>>92035642
The only dub they gotn right was Fighting Foodons.

Even ignoring donuts they made some really big errors with pokemon.
Near the end of the first season, they stated calling all the fire pokemon flame type for no reason.
>>
>>92035689
Sonic X was awesome though. Though this is coming from a guy who loves every Sonic game ever released
>>
>>92035642

4kids dubbed Pokemon.
Which was really good.
And even if their other dubs weren't that good; most of them were hilarious like Yugioh.

Also I think they also did stuff for a lot of cartoons which were pretty good, like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
>>
>>92035642
they brought anime to a generation of kids. I'll thank them for that. The anime have been properly redubbed by other studios, so all's good.
>>
File: IMG_0841.png (533KB, 1024x386px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0841.png
533KB, 1024x386px
>>92035747
>>
>>92035747
>a lot of cartoons

Okay that was an exaggeration. I took a look at the stuff they've done. So it's more like a couple things they did were good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_4Licensing_Corporation_licenses_and_productions
>>
Most of the shows 4kids localized were always gonna be really stupid no matter how you dubbed or edited them. If anything, they made some stuff more entertaining.

It's like how Transformers fans ragged on the Headmasters dub for being badly produced and batshit crazy at times. But then they watched the sub and discovered the original show was boring as sin, and they came to appreciate the dub for its hilarity and bizarre nature.
>>
>>92035747
>4kids dubbed Pokemon. Which was really good.

So good they fired all the VAs and changed the entire cast after only a handful of seasons?
>>
>>92035642
No, in fact, looking back I often find myself applauding them on the great job they did.(one piece aside obviously, but apparently they had to dub that or something?)
>>
>>92035642
Ultimate Muscle was the one thing they did somewhat well. They butchered Shaman King so hard that they actually created plot holes
>>
>>92035723
>Sonic X was awesome though
Sonic X was garbage, but that's not 4kids fault and if it wasn't for 4kids we wouldn't have the Eggman we have today.
>>
>>92035642

4Kids gave the world Based Mike Pollock, so the ends justify the means.
>>
>>92035913
>Shaman King
How so? Did they cut through about 1/2 the series' major tourney arc?
>>
>>92035883
I heard they absolutely butchered it desu
>>
I was saving this for Burger Day but desperate times call for desperate measures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfJuJrqFhXM
>>
>>92035747
>>92035816

I'm still mad that we don't have a proper dub of yugioh.

the manga is better than the anime anyway
>>
>>92035972
>saying that like it's a good thing
All those VAs were trash.
>HOHO SHADOW YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY THE MORE THE MERRIER
Sonic should've ended after Adventure 2.

>the original VAs showed up for Shadow the Hedgehog to work on it and the X VAs were already there and Sega never told them
>>
>>92035747
>4kids dubbed Pokemon.
>Which was really good.

It was, but they did a lot to make it worse. A lot of episodes were heavily edited or even cut altogether. Also they got really lazy with the translation since at one point they started calling fire type Pokemon "flame type" for 6 episodes. Pokemon was a good show, but not a good dub. The show got worse when they switched to in house dubbing, but that's because they were dubbing a season that already sucked.
>>
>>92035878
I don't think that was 4Kids' decision.

As for the company itself... they're the definition fo the term "hit and miss". Even ignoring their anime dubs, the only good show they produced was TMNT 2003. I never liked either Chaotix of Viva Pinata. Sigma 6 would have been a joke regardless of their involvement, and their other non-anime dubs (like Funky Cops and Winx Club) have most of the same flaws as shows like One Piece and Mew Mew Power.
>>
>>92036035
Absolutely they did, that's why I listed it as the single exception, then again they were attempting to dub a show intended for more mature audiences, so that's to be expected. THAT ASIDE however, they did a pretty good job with their shows.
>>
>>92036094

Mike Pollock really grew into the role. He makes a great Eggy now, especially without 4kids scripts.
>>
>>92036094
>All those VAs were trash.
The only VA I talked about was Eggman, and I must remind you that EVERYONE besides Eggman was fired. We still have the Sonic X Eggman voicing the character to this day,
>>
>>92035642
Yes
>>
>>92036119

Then you got the shows they acquired, but never voiced (anyone even remember Stargate Infinity or the Biker Mice reboot?).

What I'm trying to say is that 4Kids' choice of cartoons were as mixed as their choice of anime.
>>
>>92036094
Deem Bristow died and they needed a new Eggman, but 4Kids would only let them have Mike Pollock if they also took EVERYONE else. They were initially against it, but they REALLY needed a new Eggman, so they went through with it. No idea why they changed the voices again, though.
>>
>>92036130

>they did a pretty good job with their shows.

they completely butchered yu-gi-oh. it's like a joke dub.
>>
>>92036187
Yugioh was always a pretty dumb show though.
>>
File: FJqJi5oC.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
FJqJi5oC.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
4kids might have been the worst overall when it came to dubbing, but let's not forgot that the award for worst still goes to Vis Media for the Starforce dub. Really, that train wreck puts One Piece to shame.
>>
4Kids is generally pretty bad, but some of complaints leveled against them are just weebshits being weebshits. Such as when One Piece fags cry about the Zoro/Zolo thing.
>>
>>92036187
I'm going to be completely honest with you here, Yu-Gi-Oh is one of the ONLY major show they dubbed that I didn't check the original dub of for comparison.
That said, it's still fun in its own dumb, silly way.
>>
>>92036161
>>92036162
He can't hold a candle to Deem Bristow who made him sound actually threatening. Pollock makes him sound wacky and incompetent.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=jXutWp7pBbw
Long John Baldry second best Robotnik
>>
>>92035681
https://youtu.be/MLTlH7KB0Xk
>>
>>92036239

The original is ridiculous but it's still an objectively shitty dub. They don't get a pass for fucking something up because the original was weird.
>>
>>92036252

It really is bizarre.

>invisible guns
>random plot points changed for no reason whatsoever
>the "shadow realm" was completely made up for the dub because they didn't want to mention death, there is no mention of the shadow realm in the original anime and manga because it was invented for the 4kids dub

I still like the voices though. Even Joey's accent, it makes sense for his character.
>>
>>92036261
You can only make someone named "Eggman" sound so threatening anon.
Besides, that's not even the most fear inducing Eggman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUa8DLg1TCE
>>
I liked Chaotic but they got into some legal issues someone and had to cancel it
>>
>>92036343
Like I said, Yugioh was always retarded. It's about kids with stupid hair deciding the fate of the world with children's card games. Honestly, many of the dub changes enhanced the experience. A Yugioh where people get threatened with guns and die is kind of dumb. A Yugioh where people threateningly point their fingers at others while other people get sent to a Hell dimension just for losing a card game is so stupid its glorious.
>>
>>92036011
Two examples off the top of my head:

>Manta is hospitalized for several weeks from being tied to a tombstone (he was vivisected in the original)
>One of Hao's minions used cigarette smoke as a medium to form over souls; She's still able to make over souls with her cigarettes removed
>>
>>92036434
>kids with stupid hair
Seriously, what the fuck was up with Yugi's hair? Even by anime standards it's bizarre.
>>
>>92035878
That was because The Pokemon Company wanted greater control over the NA version of the show, and the series was such a huge hit they no longer needed 4kids as a middle man
>>
>>92036343
>there is no mention of the shadow realm in the original anime and manga because it was invented for the 4kids dub
But what about all the duels that took place in the shadow realm and all the characters who got out? I think the idea of them coming back to life is a little harder to buy.
>>
>>92036545
I like to think he stuck his finger in an electrical socket, and the whole series is a coma-dream. But yugioh caught a glimpse of his glorious hair in the bathroom mirror before collapsing so it stays throughout the show.
seriously, it doesnt even fall down when its wet.
>>
File: 1450986245050.jpg (50KB, 589x462px) Image search: [Google]
1450986245050.jpg
50KB, 589x462px
>>92036658
Fucking shit. Zyklon Ben does it again
>>
>>92036088
Especially the Non-cardgame chapters when he fucked people up for reals.
>>
File: anger reaction jojo josuke.jpg (48KB, 600x511px) Image search: [Google]
anger reaction jojo josuke.jpg
48KB, 600x511px
>>92035642
they removed religous imagery from Shaman King.

that' pretty bad, removing the point of your show
>>
>>92035642
I blame them for the reason One Piece never really caught on in the west.
>>
>>92036780

I'm amazed at how determined 4kids was when it came to scrubbing off any indicators of a culture alien to US of A. As if children were meant to believe that planet Earth only contains one country with everything else being merely a warped reflection.

https://youtu.be/XN-Eudsr3os
>>
>>92036780
But we got a pretty dope OP so it's a wash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE6NM3rhiXw
>>
>>92035642
no

they butchered One Piece but there was a lot of good shit on there, and managed to make shows funny despite the necessary censorship
>>
>>92036343
>finger guns
>shadow realm
to be honest that shit practically fit right in with Yu-Gi-Oh
>>
I'll always see it this way, 4kids helped to bring anime to the west in the mainstream, albeit a bastardization of anime.

Still, we would never of had pokemon if not for it and after some growing pains I feel like it was well worth it.
>>
>>92035689
>The rest of their catalog is comprised of shitty dubs of already shitty Japanese cartoons.
Once they stopped dubbing pokemon it never got better.
>>
>>92036853
it wasn't even an America with guns or substance abuse, though. It was some kind of bass-ackward eternal kindergarten, where the concepts of death and violence are alien but people still get mad enough to send someone to "time out" forever.
>>
>>92036640
I like to think the black and red part is some kind of paper crown he always has on like he's Jughead.
>>
>>92036343
I always thought they were just pointing, which seemed to get the point across equally well IMO.
>>
>>92035642
Towards the end yeah. They didn't change their business model when localizing popular shows in a time where their manga and anime fanbase has grown up. I'd probably think it was more profitable too if I was old at the time and didn't know who I was selling to.
>>
File: 1463074852909.jpg (84KB, 640x483px) Image search: [Google]
1463074852909.jpg
84KB, 640x483px
>>92036923
>finger guns

Still, it felt too petty. Even considering pretty heavy censorship.
>>
>>92036088
>I'm still mad that we don't have a proper dub of yugioh.
This and shaman king got a propper dub, but it wasn't selling well so they stopped.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nVQeeBbtp4
>>
>>92037047
>Proper dub
Nothing about those garbage tier voices can be considered "proper".
>>
>>92037047

I was one of those kids that got the american shonen jump mags when they started coming out, and it was bizarre comparing the manga shaman king to the UPN/WB4kids airing of the anime.
>>
>>92035642
4kids was simply the top dog during the time EVERYTHING was coming out in Japan ie the prime times

So they just imported everything and made deals with networks, and the networks had dumb rules because muh children

That said, any and all VAs for the top shows had their careers and infamy guaranteed for years to come and the memes, the SHEER memes that grew from nostalgia are the most supreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBnkJQ6_xFo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLTlH7KB0Xk
>>
>>92036853

I remember talking about DBZ (and Dragon Ball in general) to my internet friends and finding out that DBZ was heavily censored in the USA. It was weird though since they didn't really censor stuff in Canada, but one time we also got episodes from the USA instead? It didn't last long though.

I loved how the intro song for Dragon Ball made the show seem kiddy but the episodes were pretty perverted.
>>
>>92037107
i unironically love the 4kids YuGiOh dub
>>
>>92037220
You better believe it pal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npEe658Jkyg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPDlwDX8haQ

It's legendary
>>
>>92037220

I honestly think it's amazing too.

>>92036343
>Even Joey's accent, it makes sense for his character.

Joey's accent was 10/10.
>>
>>92035681
>>92036268
Am I the only one who prefers the pirate rap over the faggy animu version?
>>
>>92037025
It's funny that people will defend a lot of the stuff they did with "it was a different time, they had to change stuff to make it marketable" but by the time 4Kids started getting big that wasn't really true anymore. When they started the Fox Box block, DBZ had already had its second, less censored Funimation dub (granted it still had a lot of dumb stuff but it was a step up from what they had been doing during their earlier dub) for a few years. Other Toonami stuff was already getting shown with minimal changes. So anime was becoming mainstream without the need for bizarre localization and weird edits but 4Kids kept doing it just because it's what they did. They kept treating everything they got as if it needed to be dumbed down and made wackier or kids wouldn't like it.
>>
>>92037278
>What's that?
>It's a card

kek
>>
>>92037362
Kaiba is such an asshole but damn if he isn't great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1dYQj_SHlk
>>
For all the shit they put out, TMNT was godamned amazing.
>>
>>92037436
I need to say "What the shell?" more
>>
With Funi direction, their Crocodile would have been godlike.
>>
>>92036343
https://youtube.com/watch?v=kP_EGSOEGAE
>>
>>92037023
>men burst into Kaiba's room and point their fingers at him
>he jumps out the window into the ocean
>>
>>92037301

Yeah I do.
I think it's funny and really suits the show.
>>
>>92037278

The character duels they do at nats are so fucking fun.
>>
>>92035642
"yes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw1u7YvGmYQ
>>
>>92036602

>But what about all the duels that took place in the shadow realm

they didn't. the shadow realm did not exist.
>>
>>92035681
Literally (literally) the only good thing to come out of that dub.
>>
File: 1267531402952.jpg (26KB, 595x453px) Image search: [Google]
1267531402952.jpg
26KB, 595x453px
>>92037301
>We Are
>Faggy
No. I'm glad the rap exists, though, because it's hilarious.
>>
>>92037645
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9UQrALFa00

Preach, my man
>>
>>92036182
>No idea why they changed the voices again, though.
Fans were complaining about them for years, 4kids itself as a company was going under, and it's possible Sonic Boom may have been in it's early stages back then and they just wanted the change. They considered bringing Ryan Drummond back but they didn't want to support his union or some bullshit like that.
>>
>>92037668
>they didn't. the shadow realm did not exist.
Then where did the duels take place wheneve all that black and purple fog showed up? What was the reason for that?
>>
>>92037661
holy fuck
>>
File: Spax3.png (196KB, 599x401px) Image search: [Google]
Spax3.png
196KB, 599x401px
GRIFFITH!

THIS...THING WHO JUST FUCKED UP WHO SONICS CHARACTER IS
>>
>>92037672
I'm not saying it's bad, just really fucking gay.
>>
>>92037731

Shadow games. There was no shadow realm, just games with ancient egypt magic floating around.
>>
So is it true that we didn't get a Sonic X sequel because 4kids wouldn't let go of the rights?
>>
>>92037835
If so at least 4kids would have done the world one good turn in the end.
>>
>>92036243
How could it be worse than fucking NT warrior and moltanic man and boomers?
>>
File: jellydoughnuts.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
jellydoughnuts.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
Who wants a hamburger?
>>
>>92037731
Yugioh went through a very similar evolution as Dragonball

Yugioh was first about Yugi being the King of GAMES, as in everything beyond Duel Monsters, and he was such a sadistic shit and basically used Shadow Games to curse assholes and kill them

Yugioh with Duel Monsters just focused on the card game,but the Shadow Games remained, just like how Dragonball Z focused on the fighting, but characters and the Dragonballs themselves were still relevant
>>
>>92037935
these are hotdogs!
>>
>>92035642

Yes
>>
They funded TMNT.
Ultimate Muscle was legitimately funny.

Thats about it.
>>
>>92037935
>>92037982
You're both blind! They're clearly jelly donuts.
>>
Not really I loved Sonic X and that Viva Piñata show, but I hate how much editing they did to make it more 4kids
Are anime dubs still being heavily edited these days? The only one I can think of is Disney XD's Doraemon
>>
Can we agree that Texan Dedede is the best thing 4kids ever did?
>>
>Sonic X

I've watched all of Sonic X in Japanese years ago and it had its moments but it was a mediocre show altogether. The biggest problem with it was that there was much more focus on the human supporting cast than the actual Sonic characters which really bogged the show down for most of the first two seasons. The third season fixed this by writing out all but one of the human characters but by that point, it was too late. I also want to point out that the soundtrack in the Japanese version was really good.

The 4kids dub of Sonic X is a complete bastardization of a show that was already mediocre. It is truly awful and I can never tolerate watching it for more than a few minutes. But it's not awful because of the voices, the voices themselves are fine. It's the voice direction that's awful, and the script, and the soundtrack, and their awful attempts at humor and every other conceivable aspect. Somehow, this shit managed to be popular and got reran for years. I think that's more because of the Sonic brand alone than the quality of the show.

>>92037835
The series did poorly in Japan and they stopped airing it after the second season. The only reason the third season got made was because it was doing well in other countries. They probably didn't feel like making more after that and there wasn't enough interest for a US produced continuation.
>>
>>92038043

Okay, thats the third good thing they did.
>>
>>92037835
>>92037835
Nope.
Sonic X was so much of a flop in Japan that season 3 was never even shown on TV or put to DVD, besides they lost the rights in 2012.
If anything 4 kids saved it.
>>
>>92037911
>NT warrior
triggered
Rockman.exe was my very first legitimate entry to fansubs, IRC downloading, and file formats (avi was the standard along with .divx)
I actually wrote out an email to Kids Wb!,thinking they were the ones who dubbed the show and wrote out why I believed it should stay as close to the source as possible
I was 13 years old and was, and STILL am, if the battery hasn't died by now, stuck on the WWW areas in Megaman Batttle Network 2
>>
>>92038034
>Censoring crying
For what reason?
>>
>>92038049
>there wasn't enough interest for a US produced continuation.

I'm not sure, but I think 4kids partially funded the 3rd season to begin with. And this was right around the time Nintendo pulled the Pokemon license, so the money was already running out.
>>
>>92036853

Poor One Piece got butchered
>>
>>92038049
>much more focus on the human supporting cast
why do shows have this garbage
I know we need someone to be sympathetic, but 9/10 extra human characters are absolutely trash

That said, Sonic X had the cool factor of being an anime of a video game series
>>
I live for the parodies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCb4U4Qrek0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyIpijrLlcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55iX64NmUDA
>>
>>92038100

>so the money was already running out.

Yeah, well maybe if they didn't give away thousand of dollars in contests every other weekend that wouldn't have been a problem.
>>
>>92038073

Yeah, that last season of Sonic X was commissioned to meet US demand for the show.

Likewise, the last season of Ultimate MUSCLE was done for the US market. So I guess 4Kids had some pull with the Japanese production companies.
>>
>>92038154

>Likewise, the last season of Ultimate MUSCLE was done for the US market. So I guess 4Kids had some pull with the Japanese production companies.

The ultimate irony: Toei would only give them more Ultimate Muscle (and Magical DoReMi) if they took One Piece as part of a package deal. 4kids never wanted it.
>>
>>92035747
Pokemon dubs were never good.

Fuck your nostalgia
>>
>>92038004
*rips off shirt*
*sax starts playing*
THESE BAD BOYS FROM OUTER SPACE

ULTI MATE MUSCLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRwJvOm395E

Oh fuck me can I remember the cow song
WITH MY RICE I LIKE TO HAVE SOME COW COW COW
IT TASTES SO VERY GOOD IT MAKES ME??? GO WOW WOW WOW
WITH MY ?????? GO CHOMP CHOMP WOOOOOWW WOOOOOWWW

EAT NOW
>>
>When a 4kids dub does an opening theme song better than it's Japanese counterpart

https://youtu.be/5svxuS3L9_s
>>
>>92038100
The third season was still produced in Japan though. I can't imagine them continuing to make episodes of a show no one in their country was watching and that weren't even going to air there.

I guess 4kids could've continued the series inhouse like their TMNT series (Or create a new series if the rights to X were in limbo) but I have no idea how many hurdles they would've had to jump through to make that happen.
>>
>>92038034
And the studio who did the edits are now doing Voltron:LD.

What else is new.
>>92038049
>>92038073
>>92038154
3rd season was also done in Korea hence the QUALITY issues that season had.
>>
>>92036094

>Sonic should've ended after Adventure 2.
Colors and Generations are better doe
>>
>>92038096

It's not censoring, they changed an old anime cliche of the waterfall eyes because they didn't understand it.
>>
>>92037911
Every single episode was cuts of multiple episodes. Episode 1 was only the 1st half of the original episode 1, but with a clip show for the 2nd half OF THE 1ST EPISODE! Episode 2 was the 2nd half of the 1st episode and the 1st half of the real episode 2. This continued for about 12 or 13 episodes and ended with half of the final episode being another clip show that wasn't in the original version. That along with translated names that didn't match the games and the fact that they just stopped making episodes before the half way point. Really, you need to see it to really understand how bad it is. The final insult to injury is that there are no legal subs out there, so the only way they want you to see it is the butchered unfinished dub.

At least NT was still recognizable and had the guts to finish.
>>
>>
>>92038154
>pull with the Japanese production companies.
Well they did add a whole scene to the 4th pokemon movie, so it's not surprising.
>>
>>92038272
NT only aired the first season and Axcess with eps cut
>>
>>92038216

WITH MY RICE I LIKE TO HAVE SOME COW COW COW
IT TASTES SO VERY GOOD I DON'T KNOW HOW HOW HOW
>ITS MY FAVORITE FORM OF CHOW CHOW CHOW WOOOOOWW WOOOOOWWW
>EAT NOW!

Why do I still remember that?
>>
>>92038264
Still ass backwards though. I never thought anything of it when I was a kid seeing it in Pokemon all the time. What meaning is there beyond it being a funny visual gag?

>>92038127
I just hope the retard that approved the idea of having the president as a supporting character in a show about Sonic the Hedgehog lost his job shortly afterwards.
>>
>>92038342
Music, man

Just had a talk about it this weekend
Music has some very strong holding power in memories

I didn't remember all the words but I could spot the jingle even when I haven't even thought about in literal years
>>
>>92038043
Yeah, his voice made me choose to be gay.
>>
>>92038043
No. That would be the name Dik Dik Van Dick.
>>
>>92038334
At least it had a complete season.

>>92038079
>being stuck in a battlenetwork game

I hear you man, I still have PTSD from the ship's password in Battlenetwork 5.
>>
>>92038222
Japan had nothing to do with it, Sega produced the first 2 seasons (Yuji Naka was the head executive producer on the show) and 4Kids did the 3rd.

In short, Sega just ditched it to TMS because they did not have their own in house animation studio (like their AM units), Telecom did the 2 pilots and some episodes in season 1 but ended up doing Uninhabited Planet Survive with Madhouse instead as that show had a much larger budget (also Japanese sponsors rejecting a 4th season of Tiny Toons because it was not created in Japan leading the American crew to make Duck Dodgers instead and that the only thing to come out of it were 2 games by Treasure).
>>
>>92038432

Really? Not the literal Hell that was Elecman's stage in BN1?
>>
>>92038436
Oh god you're here
>>
>>92038264
>because they didn't understand it.
The fuck?
>>
>>92038460
No, theres a source to this.

http://acmeacres.prophpbb.com/topic2029.html
>>
>>92038446
I only played BN 3 and 5. Not too much money as a kid.

What really sucks is that I got a used copy of 3, so when I got to the final boss I found out that the previous owner had 100%ed the game, so I had to fight the EX version of it and couldn't win.
>>
>>92037348
It's actually fascinating. They took shows like One Piece that already had a massive fanbase, made it for little American kids, and expected it to be the next DBZ. I would love to the listen in on the board meeting where someone said making bad versions of things their audience would like would be profitable.
>>
>>92038490
TMS isn't mentioned there at all.

Also I liked how you immediately knew what I meant when I said "oh god you're here"
>>
File: 28ja1.jpg (65KB, 400x150px) Image search: [Google]
28ja1.jpg
65KB, 400x150px
Pirates shooting each other with cork guns would be god tier entertainment.
>>
>>92038541
see:
>>92038183

4kids never wanted One Piece.

As for their editing practices, their president seemed to just hate Japanese culture or something.
"By the time we're done the kids will never even know its from another country".
>>
>>92036243
>Starforce dub
You see the problem is people don't give a shit about that so there was very little if not fuck all complaints about it but when 4kids got One Piece? They were the scorn of everyone and nobody would shut up about how terrible it was for years until they finally gave up the license (it wasn't taken away but they just flat out gave it up) and Funi snatched it.
>>
>>92038043
yes his dub voice was great
>>
Starforce's dub was a million times better than BN. Only ONE changed name this time.
>>
File: multiply.gif (1MB, 303x148px) Image search: [Google]
multiply.gif
1MB, 303x148px
>>92037278
>>92037645
>>
>>92036434
>a Hell dimension
Its the SHADOW REALM! Bakura didn't kill those guys he sent them to the SHADOW REALM! Jaden's friends didn't die THEY WERE SENT TO THE STARS!
>>
>>92038144
>that evangelion
Best one.
4kidz had me thinking rice cakes were donuts
>>
>>92038264
Don't western cartoons have waterfall eyes all the time, though?
>>
File: NO.jpg (18KB, 629x590px) Image search: [Google]
NO.jpg
18KB, 629x590px
>>92035642
Even as a kid I couldn't stand them.
Their biggest fuck up (and they had a lot of fuck ups) is the sound balancing.
When the characters are shouting and you can't fucking hear them over the blaring public domain drama music you have a fucking problem.
>>
4kids was just a poor-man's Saban.
>>
The Shaman King opening is the GOAT.
>>
WITHOUT ASUKA FROM GERMANY
EVERYBODY WOULD BE LOST
HER COUNTRY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE
HOLOgraphic map
>>
>>92038503
>I found out that the previous owner had 100%ed the game
The best story I will ever have with preowned games is that my copy of Ocarina of Time had someone go ALL THE WAY to Ganon's castle, but he NEVER actually enter it

I was the one poking around a weird apocalypse Zelda game, I mean can you FUCKING imagine a 10 year old playing that 3D Zelda and there was literal zombies and a torched town and a floating castle from hell all near the starting point? After enough poking, I triggered the cutscene where the sages make the rainbow bridge

RIP previous owner, for what it's worth, I played the game twice all the way through and I fought your Ganon so, so many times, because that will forever be the ultimate final boss battle
>>
File: 4Kids-edit.png (402KB, 857x320px) Image search: [Google]
4Kids-edit.png
402KB, 857x320px
>>92035642
> Killed almost all interest for one of the most popular series to ever blow up in Japan, completely neutering it's presence in the US

Yes, what they did to Shaman King wasn't much better. I'd honestly be curious to see how people who worked for 4kids back in the day feel about their legacy among the kids who grew up with their half baked shit.
>>
File: 1481820682355.jpg (138KB, 1427x802px) Image search: [Google]
1481820682355.jpg
138KB, 1427x802px
>>92038221
>4kids
>>
>>92038735
>>92038775
Their Shaman King dub was weird. People legitimately died and pointed real guns at each other.

Its like they tried to do a good dub just to see if anyone noticed.
>>
>>92038573
>4kids never wanted One Piece.
They literally outbidded Funimation for it, this was not a package deal they had to beat out the competition to get it because there's no way in hell Toei was going to cheap out when it came to one of their highest selling franchises.
>>
>>92038735
I really fucking loved Shaman King
it was the coolest concept

Bleach before Bleach
>>
>>92038806
>A March 2006 study by the Parents Television Council on violence in children's television programs claimed that the 4Kids dub of Shaman King was still too violent for children.[73] L. Brent Bozell also pointed out the 4Kids-dubbed Shaman King in one of his weekly column as an example of children's media he perceived as having undue "cultural landmines".[74]

It's not 4Kids' fault
I'm 80% certain if they had the opportunity to simply add in voices and do as minimal editing as possible, they would have
>>
>>92038871

>On July 22, 2010, an interview with Anime News Network and Mark Kirk, senior vice-president of digital media for 4Kids Entertainment, revealed that 4Kids acquired One Piece as part of a package deal with other anime, and that the company did not screen the series before licensing it. However, once 4Kids realized One Piece was not appropriate for their intended demographic, the company decided to edit it into a more child-oriented series until they had an opportunity to legally drop the license. Kirk said the experience of producing One Piece "ruined the company's reputation". Since then, 4Kids established a stricter set of guidelines, checks, and balances to determine which anime the company acquires.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2010-07-22
>>
File: 1414462144729.jpg (250KB, 799x999px) Image search: [Google]
1414462144729.jpg
250KB, 799x999px
>>92038757
While the battle is easy as fuck, the build up and the overall atmosphere is pure concentrated Kino.
>Enter castle, organ playing in the background
>Start running up to the tower, organ intensifies
>Get to Ganondorf chamber, the nigger is the one playing the organ
>Navi fucks off, for the first time in the game you are fighting alone
>Fast forward to the castle collapse
>Ganondorf turns into Ganon, the only boss without a subtitle cuz you know damn well who the fuck is in front of you
>You are now inside a ring of fire facing this thing, thunderstorm begins
>No master sword
>>
>>92038545
Yes, they were...

>Due to the bombing of Secret of Cerulean Sand TMS & Telecom needed a quick way to recoup the losses the anime caused, the quickest way of doing that was by making a 4th season of Tiny Toons.
>TMS called up Warner Bros and asked them if they were interested and they said yes, cleared the rights with Spielberg and started drafting the 4th season.
>Telecom was doing some Sonic X episodes as fuller.
>One of the episodes was going to be a parody of That 70s Show.
>However, no sponsors in Japan (except 1) will willing to give TMS money for a 4th season of Tiny Toons because the IP was not created in Japan.
>The only sponsor willing to give TMS any money for this was Konami which was not enough to make a 4th season.
>Konami set up a contract with Treasure to make 3 games off of Tiny Toons and that Konami was going to publish the games in Japan (they ended up not doing that), only 2 of the 3 games were completed (Buster's Bad Dream & Defenders of the Looniversity) and only 1 of them got released in western markets (Buster's Bad Dream which was released by Swing! Entertainment Media AG).
>The 3rd game in Konami's Tiny Toons contract ended up being replaced with Gradius V.
>The US crew went on to do Duck Dodgers when the Japanese crew ended up doing Uninhabited Planet Survive with Madhouse instead.
>>
No they adapted a lot of the anime pretty well minus the censorship.
>>
>>92038722
Saban wishes it had butchered as many properties as 4kids.
>>
File: tasteslikechicken.jpg (14KB, 450x335px) Image search: [Google]
tasteslikechicken.jpg
14KB, 450x335px
>>92036780
>they removed religous imagery from Shaman King.

And yet, The X-Laws remained a violent religious cult. Ryu - er, I mean, Rio's uncomfortable relationship with Lyserg was still there. And time to time 4kids actually kept some of the blood in the series.

Shaman King was inconsistent, no doubt, but it got away more than most of their anime dubs.
>>
File: luffy wtf.png (289KB, 611x241px) Image search: [Google]
luffy wtf.png
289KB, 611x241px
>>92036853
Only one truly and utterly baffles me: Why censor his open mouth? Am I missing something here?
>>
File: 12465586987.jpg (151KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
12465586987.jpg
151KB, 1280x720px
>>92036343
>the "shadow realm" was completely made up for the dub because they didn't want to mention death, there is no mention of the shadow realm in the original anime and manga because it was invented for the 4kids dub

My life has been a lie all this time.
>>
File: 1474137461975.jpg (232KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474137461975.jpg
232KB, 1920x1080px
>>92038999
That's a lot of horseshit. There's an article from Anime Insider that states that 4kids was in a bidding war with Funimation for the title and they eventually won it by a slim margin, if OP was a package deal it essentially means that it was included with Mew Mew Power and F-Zero GP Legend and I just can't believe that One Piece was a throwaway titles considering how much merch and shit that came along with it more so than Mew Mew Power and FZero (both of which were dropped after their respective first seasons while One Piece continued on for three more years after the fact)
>>
>>92037410
And he's got a badass theme, too

https://youtu.be/z4v351FhLfo
>>
>>92038940
Culture dissonance seems to be the main reason for most of this.
>>
>>92039086
No, seriously. TMS isn't brought up in that link anywhere.
>>
>>92039193

Actually, in the original version Pegasus really did use the Shadow Realm, but only him. All the other villains just killed you or sent you to Hell.

>>92039216

Why would a former vice president make it up?

Its all on Toei here. They were so desperate to get OP on American TV they probably forced it on the first company they could.
>>
>>92039149
Lip syncing his new dialogue.
>>
File: 81c.jpg (32KB, 582x326px) Image search: [Google]
81c.jpg
32KB, 582x326px
>>92039227
Fuck man, I love blasting this for goofs with my friends

top theme
>>
File: tinyto39.jpg (45KB, 641x475px) Image search: [Google]
tinyto39.jpg
45KB, 641x475px
>>92039297
Yes, they were, otherwise explain the 2 Treasure games.
>>
>>92038775
>Killed almost all interest for one of the most popular series to ever blow up in Japan, completely neutering it's presence in the US

I think the show would have done that by itself the anime for one piece isn't that good sub or dub. At least the dub has some decent meme's.
>>
>>92039308
>Why would someone lie in an interview

You tell me Boco

> They were so desperate to get OP on American TV they probably forced it on the first company they could.
Back then Toei didn't give a rats ass about Anmerican licensers and they were just about to set up shop with their own video series in the US. 4kids really wanted One Piece or else they wouldn't have brought all those merchandise to the US. If you want an example of a license they did not fucking want look no further than Ultraman Tiga.
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 522x280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 522x280px
>>92035642
TELL ME WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>92038775
I don't' think it would have been popular still. Look at Europe or Latin America, they actually got their own dubs yet it didn't fly there.

Only Japan loves OP.
>>
>>92035642
Yes. They took decent animes and turned them into cheesy saturday morning cartoons.

Digimon 02 being one of the worst examples.

Even during the moments of the show that were supposed to be sad and emotional, the English dub STILL had the characters cracking retarded jokes and trying to be funny.

fucks sake

they couldn't go 30 seconds without one of the characters spouting off some dumb 1-liner for shits and giggles
>>
>>92039498
agreed

watching the original Japanese VS the English dub, it's like a completely different show.

I usually like english dubbed anime, but Digimon Adventure 02 was just butchered in the US because of 4kids and Saban.

What's worse is that almost every single other dub of the anime got all the original music, but the English dub didn't use any of it, and recycled the generic crap from the first season's English dub. (only exception is the French dub, because it's based on the English dub; they got all the same music as the English dub)
>>
>>92039498
>Patamon digivolves to Angemon, starting the whole angel vs. demon divine battle in season 1.
>In japanese everyone's left speechless.
>Mimi in the dub: "Nice hair, good colour."
>>
>>92039498
>Digimon
I remember when I was a kid I regularly visited family in America. I was so confused when I watched the episode where Patamon digievolves, first of all, that retarded digirap, second, while he was evolving people where cracking jokes, the music was changed and fucked up what was an emotional moment.
>>
>>92039308
>4Kids didn't want OP really guise
>Released all the available games to the US
>Made shitty toys for it
>Dubbed over 150 episodes

They even made a English version of the first opening to show off to investors before they hit airways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrHO6DtFJ-Y

Either these guys wanted to lose money or they're completely retarded. There's literally no excuse for them fucking up the US distribution of One Piece KNOWING that it had content that couldn't be aired
>>
>>92039648
>that 4kids we are

If they could do one thing it was an opening
>>
>tfw censoring all the guns made it look like the characters did jojo poses
>tfw yugioh did jojo references before jojo references were a thing
>>
>>92035642
I would rather have 4chan do the editing and dubbing than 4kids.
>>
>>92039498
>Digimon
That was Saban and despite their own brand of faggotry they actually tried their hardest to be faithful to the original while keeping up with parental guidelines. Characters actually died in their shows and it was okay to say it, some characters retained their original names and they didn't remove episodes entirely. Their biggest fault was the music (a huge one) and their incidence to add dialogue in when they weren't needed.
>>
>>92036243
How come this fuckers got away with them stupid edits and the "revisioning" of ALL them manga licenses, all their mangas had visual edits, writing and dialogue changes, and most of their dubs are still using the same shitty practices, case in point, Doraemon english dub.

They only did Uncut dubs of Naruto and Sailor Moon due to them being cash cows.
>>
>>92038436

Fuck off, TMS Fag.
>>
>>92039719
>Jojo got an anime too late to be bastardized by 4kids
>>
>>92039849
>Doraemon english dub.
That was edited by Nips actually. The dub as a whole is actually good very Samurai Pizza Cats esque in terms of dialogue and despite the edits it retains as much of the show's tone as possible. Honestly complaining about localization in a children's show seems kinda pointless
>>
>>92039474
>>92039648

Then someone is lying. Weird.
>>
File: 1483187744330.jpg (162KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483187744330.jpg
162KB, 960x720px
>>92037047
NOPE

The uncut Yugioh dub was done in a lifeless stilted way, and it sounded like they were using HK-tier english translations and they only dubbed 9 episodes anyways, and only released the first 6 anyways, plus they were still using the american names and the doofy american voices, like Atem still sounds like an Ogre, Tristan still sounds liek Barney, etc.

Same with the Shaman King Dub, only one got a full release.

4kids did their "uncut" dubs mediocre on porpusse so that people would think, "is this what weabos wanted? this is lame and bland, i like my funny dialogue better".
>>
>>92035689
Hey fuck you

One Piece, Shaman King, and Ultimate Muscle deserve fucking better faggot than 4Kids
>>
>>92039983
> Tristan still sounds liek Barney

You sure we're not talking about the abridged series here?

I'm surprised its still going.
>>
>>92039874
That was not from him.

http://acmeacres.prophpbb.com/topic2029.html
>>
>>92038803
Its the Funimation Dub you dolt
>>
>>92039964
The guy was trying to save face. I just can't believe that they didn't want it given how much they pushed it

>>92039995
>Ultimate Muscle
Nigga! The only reason why Ultimate Muscle lasted as long as it did was because 4kids funded another season, the original Kinikuman Nise flopped hard in Japan but 4kids ordered more episodes due to its success in the US so we got the second season before Nips hence why all instances kanji weren't in the second season. Same shit with the third season of Sonic X that was funded entirely by 4kids.
>>
>>92040072
I heard TMS Fag is gay, is this true?
>>
>>92040084
>scle lasted as long as it did was because 4kids funded another season, the original Kinikuman Nise flopped hard in Japan but 4kids ordered more episodes due to its success in the US so we got the second season before Nips hence why all instances kanji weren't in the second season. Same shit with the third season of Sonic X that was funded entirely by 4kids.

I didn't know that
>>
>>92038004
>>92038216
>>92038342

Ultimate Muscle's original version was already goofy/toilet-humored as fuck, so the work was already half done for 4Kids. It was literally tailor made for their humor/writers. And I will say, I loved that damn show. Introduced me to the Kinnikuman series as a whole.

But the butchering 4Kids did to One Piece alone outweighs any good they did with Ultimate Muscle.
>>
>>92039489
One Piece looks too cartoony for a show that opens with a story arc of a pirate rescuing a pirate hunting swordsman from a corrupt navy and regularly features adult content such as genocide and murder
>>
>>92035642
positives:
TMNT 2k3
Uncut Yugioh
Uncut Shaman King
Tiga on dvd

Negatives:
Literally everything else.
>>
>>92040104
No.
>>
>>92037301
>unironically preferring "rap"

you are literally what's shit about the music industry.
>>
>>92040339
How do you know?
>>
File: IMG_1531.jpg (23KB, 220x330px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1531.jpg
23KB, 220x330px
Post GOAT 4Kids dubbers

Him, Dan Green, and Eric Stuart are the top three for me
>>
>>92040361
If he was gay he would of not bring up Hamtaro's female human cast as all.
>>
File: 1451118939145.png (469KB, 629x537px) Image search: [Google]
1451118939145.png
469KB, 629x537px
>>92039958
"Because its not like we could just have it dubbed as it originally was with no stupid vias localization"

Wait, what's that?, teh country below us actually got that show direct from the japs? along with others liek Card Captors and Digimon?, WHO CARES!?, they are in spanish, i dont understand shit, fuck them beaners!
>>
>>92040104

Gay or not he's definitely a faggot.
>>
>>92040411

Dan Green is a national treasure. He elevates hentai to high art.
>>
>>92037460
I've seen worse censorship cursing

>what the glob
>>
>>92040411
Dan Green is garbage though.
>>
>>92040466
Yep because are going to know what the fuck rice balls are
>>
>>92038034
Anything Saban produced. and 4k Media yugioh
>>
>>92039216
>and I just can't believe that One Piece was a throwaway titles considering how much merch and shit that came along with it more so than Mew Mew Power and FZero (both of which were dropped after their respective first seasons while One Piece continued on for three more years after the fact)

4kids was probably smart enough to realize that trying to recapture OP's success int he west would be near impossible, especially in the format they where doing at the time(weekly episodes). It would take years to get through it even without reruns, and 4kids didn't have weekdays to rely on. OP could've worked int he old weekly Toonami days, or no in the age of streaming, but by now it's too late.
>>
>>92035642
It killed the most popular manga in the world for the US, so I'd say yes
>>
File: vs_007.jpg (108KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
vs_007.jpg
108KB, 720x480px
>>92040608
Hey, i heard they got some shows since the fricking 70s like Heidi, and Remi and such, i never heard of that shitt, but i heard they watch them as much as them Tevenovelas!
>>
>>92039819
>Characters actually died in their shows and it was okay to say it

this is true
if a character dying wasn't critical to the plot or to someone's background story then they would often fudge it, but if it was then they didn't shy away from it
>>
>>92036814
Still the Best-Selling Manga of all time by a phenomenal Margin, but I agree with you.
>>
>>92039648
technically it would be bandai that would be in charge of the games/toys
>>
>>92038594
This is true, 4k One Piece had the better dub of the two, but because of how big the fandom is it will always get more hate.
>>
File: 456456456.png (799KB, 920x1239px) Image search: [Google]
456456456.png
799KB, 920x1239px
>>92035709
I remember when Ash lost to Lorelai, but in the next episode they had a match announcer say Ash recently win a "victory of Lorelai of the Elite 4" which was wrong.

Also Finish them with False Swipe and Seviper evolves from Arabok.
>>
>>92040580
You're garbage if you don't give me good reasons to your post
>>
>>92040104

He'd suck the dick of any TMS animator, that's for sure.
>>
>>92036853
>Removing the words "Book Store"

Literally why
>>
File: 1489879468460.webm (1MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1489879468460.webm
1MB, 600x338px
>We will never get a dub of the original Kinnikuman
>That faggot refuses to sub the second half of the series
>>
>>92040072
>That was not from him.

You always say this. EVERY time you get called out.

"That was not him." "That has been debunked" (you really fuckin love that word, "debunked).

You give yourself away every time, TMS Fag.
>>
>>92041032
No, I think YOU need to explain why, outside of the novelty value of voicing dub hentai, he's any more talented than the rest of the clowns 4Kids had working for them.
>>
>>92036343
>tfw Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged is the best dub out there
>>
File: LALALALALALALA.png (353KB, 588x477px) Image search: [Google]
LALALALALALALA.png
353KB, 588x477px
>>92036853
I didn't even know 4Kids dubbed Dragonball/Z.
>>
File: 1399692140187.jpg (25KB, 159x205px) Image search: [Google]
1399692140187.jpg
25KB, 159x205px
>>92041018
>Finish them with false swipe
Nigga is u fo real
>>
>>92041106
DBZ Abridged is a much better dub
>>
File: napoleon.jpg (362KB, 1358x1074px) Image search: [Google]
napoleon.jpg
362KB, 1358x1074px
>>92041051
The original Kinnikuman hasn't aged that well. For a moment I thought you were talking about how they didn't get to animate/dub the second half of Kinnikuman Nisei(Ultimate Muscle) since the studio refused to integrate 4Kids changes and censors into the base animation/story.

We will never get to see Mantaro and Kevin Mask fight Napoleon and his giant Lion Man apprentice as the final bosses.
>>
>>92037220

4Kids' dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! is a big part of the reason why we have Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series. So even though it's admittedly crap, I'll always remain grateful to 4Kids for their dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! just because of that.
>>
File: JAJA'S.jpg (87KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
JAJA'S.jpg
87KB, 500x375px
>>92039896
>>
>>92041244
I like the original a lot better personally. Ultimate Muscle really just feels formulaic. Some bad guy appears, all of the Muscle League gets their shit wrecked, Kid is too much of a wimp to get involved until he absolutely has to, at which point he obviously wins. Plus Kinnikuman was a much better protagonist, and the OG Muscle League actually got to do stuff other than job to the villain of the week.
>>
File: 1493241735129.png (443KB, 760x450px) Image search: [Google]
1493241735129.png
443KB, 760x450px
>>92036268
>when its honestly enjoyable

who knew
>>
>>92041018
S-sauce?
>>
>>92038201
Thank you. Pokemon was always atrocious, people here just haven't watched it since they were 6 so they want to believe otherwise.
>>
File: Budo Guilotine.png (1MB, 1259x894px) Image search: [Google]
Budo Guilotine.png
1MB, 1259x894px
>>92041649
I prefer the original series as well. So did a lot of people. That's probably why they revived it with Kinnikuman Resurrection, which is still going. Pic related.
>>
File: blackhole red mantle of death.png (2MB, 1568x879px) Image search: [Google]
blackhole red mantle of death.png
2MB, 1568x879px
>>92041913
Artist is Garabatoz.
>>
>>92042001

Did the original version ever end? Last time I bothered to check they were still in a years-long arc about time travel.
>>
File: HYPECAT.jpg (72KB, 720x690px) Image search: [Google]
HYPECAT.jpg
72KB, 720x690px
>>92039055
>fighting a pig demon king who holds the symbol of power that revived him from near death on top of the ruins of a castle above lava in a circle of fire with thunder and thunder around you
>the screen is so dark, the lightning and eyes stand out the most

couldn't be more metal if it tried

>No master sword
>No master sword
>No master sword
>>
File: T&L Double Team.png (498KB, 473x744px) Image search: [Google]
T&L Double Team.png
498KB, 473x744px
>>92042056
Do you mean Kinnikuman Nisei?(the sequel series with the new generation). If so, yes, it did. Mantaro and Kevin won and Lightning killed himself in the volcano, with his apprentice Thunder becoming a Justice Chojin.
>>
>>92042223

Ah, okay.
>>
File: IMG_8119.jpg (98KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8119.jpg
98KB, 1280x720px
>>92036039
Every fucking time
>>
>4Kids actually funding for entire new seasons of anime

wtf
I didn't know this at all

Why haven't we done that more? BRING BACK MX0 JAPAN YOU SHIT TASTE RETARDS
>>
>>92042567
>>Why haven't we done that mor
Toonami's literally funding a new season of FLCL right now
>>
>>92040474
He is not, if anything he is one of the few people here that have a actual life.
>>92041046
No.
>>92041077
Far from it, millions of people use the word debunked.
>>92042567
4Kids produced season 3 of Sonic X, theres a difference.
>>
>>92042617
wtf
they're like 15 years late
>>
>>92042770

They really, REALLY like FLCL.
>>
The only dub that matters
>https://youtu.be/SxJ4VWoeOzs

This isn't abridged
>>
>>92042617
>>92042770

Meanwhile we STILL haven't gotten Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt season 2.
>>
>>92042913
Wasted talent is a bad thing, theres a reason why this must never get made.

Wasted talent is why.
>>
>>92042859
>you're a fag and he should join the football team
this is gold
>>
>>92042859
>"our DEAD MOTHER, are you happy?"
>"i can only hope she knew about Jesus"

fucking shit i got destroyed. there's no way this isn't some sort of parody or at least that the team in charge of this dub wasn't being ironic or some shit.

i refuse to believe someone can actually dub this poorly without it being on purpose.
>>
File: chaotic-4fb76f525bfb8.png (186KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
chaotic-4fb76f525bfb8.png
186KB, 500x281px
>Do some anime dubs
>Specifically do Pokemon & Yu-Gi-Oh
>Have to keep changing dialogue and changing things to be more "kid-friendly"
>Somebody gets the idea that they should just make their own anime-influenced TCG-based action show
>They do so
>It's actually good
The fucking madmen.
>>
>>92041134
Yeah, it was during the tail end of 4kids' life as company
>>
>>92043045
I recognize the voices, they're all Funimation mainstays.
>>
>>92039498

Man I don't even care; English dub Digimon is a work of art.
>>
They introduced me to see good stuff I wouldn't have known about otherwise. I can't hate them too much. They give kids everything they need to enjoy anime, and once they're old enough to care, they can just switch to fansubs.
>>
>>92036814
>>92036888
News flash: One Piss has always been shit
>>
>>92043045

It originally bombed in Japan. The Japanese studio gave it to them and said "Do whatever you have to so it sells". They went with a gag dub.
>>
>>92043045
ADV got the rights to the dub and turned it into a comedy, with a lot of the lines being ad-libbed by the VAs. The whole dub can be found on Youtube, it's great
>>
>>92043076
Funimation dubbed it. 4kids just bought the rights to air it.

And they painted Mr Popo blue.
>>
>>92043159
The entire Myotimon arc is better in the dub.
Myotismon himself and his theme are better than Vamdemon and I think Wizardmon's English actor delivered his death better.
>>
>>92038144
Is the frank vs nero thing supposed to be "omg look how bad 4chan would make it XD"

because besides "laser blasters" it was pretty much a spot-on dub

then again OP is stupid so
>>
>>92043247
>And they painted Mr Popo blue

The network made them do it. A 4kids employee talked about on reddit some years ago.

>I would first like to address the blue Mr. Popo in Dragonball Z Kai first. Yes, we changed him blue. We didn't want to, and our graphics department has enough work to do, but we did it. We did so because CW's BS&P department forced us to do so. They are the ones who claimed that it was racist and were unwilling to air it unedited despite the fact that Nicktoons has no issue with him (on top of the fact that he was also shown in all of his black glory on the WB back in the 90s).

>Many of the answers I am going to give are going to relate to BS&P, which is network controlled (i.e. CW, Cartoon Network, etc., not 4Kids) and has no set rules or standards, it all depends on the opinion of the person who happens to have that role at that network at that time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ikyum/iama_4kids_entertainmentproductions_employee_ama/
>>
File: EP012_bazooka[1].png (319KB, 506x360px) Image search: [Google]
EP012_bazooka[1].png
319KB, 506x360px
>>92043355
>besides "laser blasters"

Pokemon had Team Rocket refer to bombs as "Blaster Balls" a few times because 4kids. Not always though, because 4Kids was retarded

>ban a pokemon episode because everyone's pointing guns around
>air a pokemon episode where everyone's pointing guns around
>>
4kids absolutely deserves criticism for their shitty voice directing and script adaptations, but most of their edits were mandated by the network they aired on.

>We fought with BS&P but ultimately we lost. Some edits we win, some we lose. Many we lose.

>When we switched from Fox to CW, CW had a huge problem with the saying "What the Shell?!" on TMNT. 4 or 5 seasons in and now it is a problem? That was one of the battles we won and an example of how things can change depending on network and person you are working with. We've had issues pop up after a new person takes on the BS&P role at the same network. It's always a new set of rules, very frustrating.
>>
>>92038144

That Evangelion opening killed me.

>>92043045

Ghost Stories is the best official dub ever.
>>
File: angry pyro.jpg (34KB, 380x366px) Image search: [Google]
angry pyro.jpg
34KB, 380x366px
>mfw Mew Mew power
>>
File: 1491740661114.jpg (10KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1491740661114.jpg
10KB, 250x250px
>>92043629

>mfw Mew Mew Power
>>
>>92035681
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYnNpNfFsHQ
>>
>I have always been an anime fan, but I was unaware of Yugioh until I was working at 4Kids.

>A lot of the visual edits that are really ridiculous are the removal of words and letters on shirts that were mandated by the WB. They don't like having text, especially foreign text, in the cartoons so even if a sign said 'HOSPITAL' they would tell us to change it to the generic first aid symbol. I am not exactly sure why.

>As far as some of the Americanization edits go, 9-10 years ago 4Kids was coming off of their Pokemon high and their goal wasn't to bring over animes, but to Americanize them. It wasn't to cater to the anime crowd, it was a kids show with the goal of selling cards. If the show was released today it may be treated differently, but 10 years ago it was more about making it more of a US feeling show because they feel that kids cannot easily relate. Not something I agree with.

>But to be fair, there was an episode of Magical DoReMi where all they do was play Shogi the whole episode that we produced. Hard to Americanize that...

>And outside of localization for US and age group, a reason we change the music is for the publishing. Buying the original music can lead to a bigger purchase price, versus spending that money on composing it ourselves and also getting money from the publishing after it airs. And again, the target audience is probably the age group under you. Not to say they don't understand the Japanese music, but some of them may not notice it either way.

>After the Yugioh 3D movie, the creators in Japan were actually very pleased with the music we produced because we made it feel a little more like our own, a little more big and cinematic "Hollywood" feeling in a way.
>>
>>92042859
>>92043045
They got a LOT of freedom with the Dub since it wasn't doing well in Japan. And they fucking ran with it. Ghost Stories is fucking amazing.
>>
>>92043968
>an anime will never bomb hard enough for this to happen again

I would pay money for this SMT Devil Children to finally be dubbed and for it to be like Ghost Stories.
>>
File: diy becomes a vigilante.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
diy becomes a vigilante.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>92044270
Hey, Samurai Flamenco flopped and the studio that made it died, right? As much as I genuinely loved the show, I'm certain it'd be even further improved by a Ghost Stories-level dub.
>>
>>92044426
Here's the thing, Flamenco is honestly good and people would riot.

SMT Devil Children? Who would complain about the anime that tried to take Shin Megami Tensei and turn it into a kid friendly Digimon ripoff?
>>
>>92042913
DeMarco won't even air the first season on Toonami even thought people want that to happen
>>
>>92035768
>they brought anime to a generation of kids.

Are you legitimately diagnosed as a mentally retarded person?
>>
>>92044522
No, really, just look at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3PeUSFUhyc

This is the same franchise that gave us a green penis riding a golden chariot as a reoccurring element of the games.
>>
File: 1453843656122.gif (3MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1453843656122.gif
3MB, 200x200px
>>92044677
>Relatively cutesy and bland Pokemon/Digimon-like
>Based on fucking SMT
>MC still shoots a Pentagram out of a gun
This is fascinatingly baffling on a conceptual level.
>>
>>92042859
I knew it was this without even thinking about it
>>
>>92044808
Now you understand why I want it to have a Ghost Stories dub?
>>
File: 1489354102662.png (707KB, 836x897px) Image search: [Google]
1489354102662.png
707KB, 836x897px
>>92042859
>"Think of a big, black man chasing you!"
>>
>>92044677
It'd be a good twist if for 50 episodes it was your generic kid's toy commercial Yu-Gi-Oh/Bayblade/Medabot ripoff and then for the last two episodes it gets a drastic style change, a time skip where the MCs are aged to late teens, it goes full SMT and they have to kill God by summoning Satan or some bullshit.
>>
>>92041162
>DBZ Abridged is a much better dub
It stopped being a parody a while back.
>>
>>92040074
>Its the Funimation Dub you dolt
He mean this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKfDV9JXnCg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IumGGEQcko
>>
>>92044946
> and they have to kill God by summoning Satan or some bullshit.

that's weaksauce, the real shit starts when they find out God is actually just another demon and it's all the same shit, there's no such thing as a "good side", kinda like with humans
>>
F-Zero was a surprisingly good dub. And Dan Green's Yugi is timeless.
>>
>>92035642
If you were an actual kid, no. If you were a 30-something anime neckbeard, you probably bitched about things like
>WAAAAH THEY MADE THE ONE PIECE GIRLS LESS SLUTTY AND TOOK MUH GUNS
Personally I like the idea of toning down these shows into Saturday morning material, as it gives kids something of more substance than 11-minute Cartoon Network shit. Not saying there isn't a place for that, but for me, we had a balance of short shit and the long shit spanning several seasons' worth of meaningful story. No one gives a fuck what season of Spongebob they're watching at age 10, but for a show like Yugioh or Sonic X, it actually means something.
>>
>>92043581
Pokemon first aired in the US via syndication, so they originally could get away with some shit.
>>
>>92044989
It also stopped being really abridged. The average DBZA episode has about the same amount of content happening per episode as the regular show at this point.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (97KB, 1200x846px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
97KB, 1200x846px
Pic related was one of their better dubs.
>>
>>92045520
surely you jestin'
>>
Talking One PIece, which movie is the best?
>>
I hated how they claimed they didn't have the money to keep the original music in dbz. Genki dama is a great theme and cutting gohan' s song from the cell fight was a travesty
>>
>>92045879
6, Strong World.
>>
>>92040121
Not only that, 4kids actually bought the rights to the Kinnikuman franchise about a year before Kinnikuman Nisei went into production (they wanted to produce toys based on the classic 80s series). There's a very good chance that the decision to animate the series in the first place was because they knew 4kids was interested in buying overseas rights.
>>
File: NEL_Logo.jpg (2MB, 3372x3300px) Image search: [Google]
NEL_Logo.jpg
2MB, 3372x3300px
Nothing 4Kids did was worse than what Nelvana did to Cardcaptor Sakura
>>
You know, on /a/ a thread like this would be pure shitposting instead of discussion.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>92045520
How can I help you, King Dedede?
>>
4kids is ugly conservatism
>>
File: dedede.png (176KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
dedede.png
176KB, 500x312px
>>92046392
I need a monster to rape that there Kirby!
>>
>>92041138
https://youtu.be/6qfolghtvmU?t=101
Can't find a shorter video, number 12. A mistake preformed by a gym leader no less
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (42KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
42KB, 1280x720px
>>92046437
That's what we do best at NME!
>>
>>92045520

it was a better fit just because Kirby is already cute and family friendly

they really should've just dubbed more series like this rather than something as dark as Yu-Gi-Oh
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (13KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
13KB, 320x240px
>>92046527
And it better work this time, or we're still not paying your ass.
>>
>>92035642

No. It simply became him and fashionable to shit on them.
>>
>>92044598
It's odd that Adult Swim is so reticent about airing Imaishi shows when that's the audience that most of them are aimed at.
>>
File: 44b.png (233KB, 378x378px) Image search: [Google]
44b.png
233KB, 378x378px
>>92046527
OH COME NOW LITTLE OLD ME A HERO SURELY YOU JESTIN
>>
>>92043064
Was it really, though?
>>
File: meta knight reading.jpg (43KB, 508x428px) Image search: [Google]
meta knight reading.jpg
43KB, 508x428px
>>92045520
I honestly prefer the English dub of Kirby. King Dedede and Escargoon's voices and dialogue are kino.

I also like Meta Knight's Spanish accent. I felt it fitted his character. I still consider Dedede and Meta's english voices canon.
>>
>>92046589

wot
4kids was enemy #1 years ago when they were relevant
>>
>>92046299
Can't blame em on cardcaptors, made me seek out the original show.
>>
>>92043809
>>I have always been an anime fan, but I was unaware of Yugioh until I was working at 4Kids.
>>A lot of the visual edits that are really ridiculous are the removal of words and letters on shirts that were mandated by the WB. They don't like having text, especially foreign text, in the cartoons so even if a sign said 'HOSPITAL' they would tell us to change it to the generic first aid symbol. I am not exactly sure why.
>>As far as some of the Americanization edits go, 9-10 years ago 4Kids was coming off of their Pokemon high and their goal wasn't to bring over animes, but to Americanize them. It wasn't to cater to the anime crowd, it was a kids show with the goal of selling cards. If the show was released today it may be treated differently, but 10 years ago it was more about making it more of a US feeling show because they feel that kids cannot easily relate. Not something I agree with.
>>But to be fair, there was an episode of Magical DoReMi where all they do was play Shogi the whole episode that we produced. Hard to Americanize that...
>>And outside of localization for US and age group, a reason we change the music is for the publishing. Buying the original music can lead to a bigger purchase price, versus spending that money on composing it ourselves and also getting money from the publishing after it airs. And again, the target audience is probably the age group under you. Not to say they don't understand the Japanese music, but some of them may not notice it either way.
>>After the Yugioh 3D movie, the creators in Japan were actually very pleased with the music we produced because we made it feel a little more like our own, a little more big and cinematic "Hollywood" feeling in a way.

And you wonder why people hate you!

Mexico used to get his shit straight from japan and no excuses in localization, the only anime that got a gag dub was Koni Chan, and that's because the show WAS already an over the top zany comedy!

Yu-gi-oh wasnt!
>>
>>92046529
If they did, they wouldn't be pandering to the preteen audience.

>>92045520
Eh, I felt some of the casting choices were questionable, like Blade Knight's incomprehensible slur.
>>
>>92038659
>SENT TO THE STARS
I hated that so goddamn much. It didn't even mean anything. I can at least imagine what the shadow realm is
>>
>>92035723
>this is coming from a guy who loves every Sonic game ever released

im sorry for your family, anon.
>>
>>92044633
Don't be so triggered
>>
>>92045879
Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island.

spooky and off-putting from the usual OP vibe, but I really liked the plot revelations and the ending
>>
File: 250px-Casey_and_Friends.jpg (23KB, 250x163px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Casey_and_Friends.jpg
23KB, 250x163px
>>92038144
>not posting Casey & Friends
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5UfIRmkv28
>>
>>92035642
4kids never actually dubbed anything that was particularly good, so I'm glad they managed to make something entertaining out of what they had. Let's be honest, "so bad it's good" is a lot better than "so mediocre it's boring."
>>
>>92036261
>Pollock makes him sound wacky and icompetent.
Isn't that the point?
>>
>>92035642
SEARCHIN' FOR A HERO
>>
>>92047342
Doesn't the Metaknight dub in Smash Bros keep the accent? Dedede just has various deep noises for a voice, but that's because Sakurai himself voices him in the games.
>>
>>92050045
Nope, no accent. I prefer the anime to be a separate universe.
>>
>>92040023
>thought YGOTAS had ended when I was 13 due to all the trouble 4kids was causing for them around episode 52-53
>no uploads for months on YouTube, no uploads even on the fucking LittleKuriboh website
>gave up after about 6 months
>that was 6 fucking years ago

I-is it worth catching up on?

>>92036545
>can't even blame it on Yugi being a trendy asian teen or some bullshit since his grandfather has the same fucking cut

fucking kek
>>
>>92045358
>It also stopped being really abridged. The average DBZA episode has about the same amount of content happening per episode as the regular show at this point.

And only releases twice a year.
>>
>>92050771
Latest ep of YGOTAS

https://youtu.be/YvHVGoElDRI
>>
>>92052535
Note: He stopped most of the dub running gags
>>
>>92036780
Jojo 4kids dub when?
>>
>>92035642
Compare the German One Piece opening with 4Kids One Piece and judge yourself.
>>
>>92038034
Yo-Kai Watch.
>>
Do you remember the old "What if 4Kids dubbed X" meme?

And how it died because everyone and their dog just took the opening of whatever anime they were using and replaced the audio with the Mew Mew Power theme song?
>>
>>92037661
>So much for that iceburg!
>>
>>92055724
Remember when Mew Mew Power was considered one of 4kids' greatest sins by everybody on the internet? Then a few years later, everybody completely forgot about Tokyo Mew Mew and couldn't give less of a shit about a bad dub?
>>
>>92037661
This is when Namis boobs got really huge.
>>
File: Zexal II cheats.jpg (72KB, 960x518px) Image search: [Google]
Zexal II cheats.jpg
72KB, 960x518px
Ah yes, ye olde 4kids dubbing
Have you high fived the sky today, anons?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vPpgP6rkk8
>>
>>92044522

It's not good tho, it went to shit with that awful tonal change that it had.
>>
I have some pretty fond childhood memories of watching 'The FoxBox' and that was basically just 4KidsTV before the re-branding. So I don't think it was all bad.

So I think that if their ultimate goal was to get kids to watch the channel, it ultimately worked.
>>
>>92045192
>WAAAAH THEY MADE THE ONE PIECE GIRLS LESS SLUTTY
i know you want (you)s and all but the episodes 4kids dubbed were from a different time before Oda started making these girls into hour glass bodied tit monsters.
>>
>>92055724
Loved that shit https://youtube.com/watch?v=QyIpijrLlcM
>>
>>92052535
I can't help but feel that they asked him for help with the dubbing for Kaiba, if not the original Japanese script in Darkside.
>>
>>92047302
I can't speak for the show, I never actually watched any of it. But the card game must not of sold very well based on the fact that me and a roommate literally got a crate of it for free.

We went to a local card shop to get some dice or something, and there was this huge box just labeled 'TAKE ME' next to the desk, it was FULL of chaotic booster packs and precon decks and some other card game called UFS (universal fighting system). We asked the guy working at the counter what the deal was and he said that they had them in stock for like 3 years, the distributor wouldn't let him return them, and he had never managed to sell a single pack. I just took the whole thing. The game was pretty meh, it required you to use a game mat that came with the decks and there was a lot of resource management to it. This was probably back in 2012.
>>
>>92055757
Hilariously enough, that episode aired in the U.S. the same day they aired Iceberg getting shot in Japan.
>>
Anyone ever run into 4kidsfan aka Tammy Newborn on various sites?
>>
File: 1398217166258.png (227KB, 314x438px) Image search: [Google]
1398217166258.png
227KB, 314x438px
>>92037661
>All of those voices
Funimation is truly a god send
>>
>>92038144
The first one is the only good 4kids parody I've ever seen. The rest usually go so over-the-top that they become obnoxious.
>>
>>92037637
Pointing like they were about to grab him and kidnap him, so yeah.
>>
>>92035642
They were okay when it came to Pokemon. Their One Piece dub is a prime example that edit dubs can go way too far, though.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGBy0Fb0WYI
>>
>>92040353
>liking shitty J-pop
Hello, pot? Meet kettle.
>>
This post was really informative. I knew that 4kids was pretty controversial but I had no idea what went on behind the scenes.
>>
>>92037301
How the fuck can you not get hype from "We Are!"?
>>
>>92042859
>these are the fastest lipflaps i ever had to sync
>>
File: screenshot_2_21227.jpg (47KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_2_21227.jpg
47KB, 600x337px
>>92042859
>The only dub that matters
You, sir, have forgotten yourself.
>>
>>92035642
it had a nice logo
>>
File: (you).png (3MB, 957x1080px) Image search: [Google]
(you).png
3MB, 957x1080px
>>92043165
>>
>>92037780

Whatever happened to this guy? Is he even still around?
>>
>>92038043

AH NEED A MONSTAH TO CLOBBAH DAT DERE KIRBEH
>>
>>92056322
>4kids dubbed were from a different time before Oda started making these girls into hour glass bodied tit monsters.
see
>>92055876
>This is when Namis boobs got really huge.
>>
>>92036006

to be fair Mike Sinterniklaas was the one who discovered Mike Pollock and got him into voice acting.
>>
>>92042859
>"Mom whats going on?"
>"Come rub my nipples"

>"THINK OF A BIG BLACK MAN CHASING YOU!"
>>
>>92042859
>"Mom whats going on?"
>"Come rub my nipples"

>"THINK OF A BIG BLACK MAN CHASING YOU!"

"The internet was a blessing from the Lord Jesus, to spread the word of God throughout the world, but pedophiles and Muslims stole it."
Its a shame we will NEVER get an official dub like Ghost Stories ever again.
>>
>>92059130
>those tits
>big
>>
>>92038871

it should be brought up that had FUNi got the dub back when One Piece was first being brought to America, it would have still had censorship and "Zoro" to work with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvP9EAI3wNs

and Eric Vale auditioned for Luffy before he was Sanji.
>>
>>92059405
Did the English manga ever change his name back to Zoro?
>>
File: me and veronica taylor.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
me and veronica taylor.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>92040411
>Mike Pollock, Dan Green, and Eric Stuart

Good choices:

Other favourites of mine are Veronica Taylor, Marc Diraison, J. David Brimmer and Sean Schemmel.
>>
File: kero see ya.jpg (165KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kero see ya.jpg
165KB, 1440x1080px
>>92046299

I'll admit Matt Hill sounded great as Kero.
>>
>>92059588

I have no idea, I'm not really a One Piece fan.
>>
>>92059588
Is it really that big of a fucking deal? I grew up on all kinds of KWALITY translations in my vidya and anime (official or fan translated), an R/L swap is barely even an offense compared to some of the shit I've seen
>>
>>92035642
Is 4kids considered /co/?
>>
>>92037661
I forgot how annoying Sanji and Usopp's voices were in the dub.
>>
File: 1462838011426.jpg (47KB, 398x356px) Image search: [Google]
1462838011426.jpg
47KB, 398x356px
>>92059405
Geez, seems like 4kids acquiring it was a good thing.
>>
>>92059744
Geez anon, you are one ugly motherfucker
>>
>>92038004
>Ultimate Muscle

That show literally justifies the entirety of 4kids existence.
>>
>>92060548
Sanji I'd say sounds close to the original Japanese tone, but it just sounds bad. Usopp really bothers me, I think he always sounded like he was shouting regardless of the situation.
>>
>>92047302
yeah it was, haven't you ever wished you could jump into a game and live in it with a dopleganger living your life for you so whenever you return you suddenly learn everything it learned for you.
The game was shit you have to battle in triangles, like 1v1 3v3 6v6 10v10 15v15 21v21 and so on and the fact that they tried to and RNG to a physical card game was batshit, like getting a blue eyes that has 1000 more attack than others.
>>
Post those good dubs, boys
>>
>>92061000
Yeah Usopp sounds like he's tone deaf in the 4kids dub.

I'm not a massive fan of Funimation's dub, but Sonny Strait at least makes him sound bearable in that one.
>>
>>92061000
>Sanji I'd say sounds close to the original Japanese tone
Literally fucking what? You should really go see a doctor to get your ears checked out, something's obviously wrong with them if you think Sanji's 4kids voice sounds anything like the original Japanese dub in any way, shape or form.
>>
>>92061183
>Those rare times when the dub's better than the original and brings more flavor to the show
Funimation's German was fucking 11/10
>>
>>92036088
Fuck getting a good redub for YGO, I just want a remake of the first manga with animation worthy of how goddamn gloriously fucked up it was. And why the hell did they make Tristan a hall monitor in Season 0 anyways?

I mean they'll never DO it thanks to being a merch vehicle now, but hey, I can dream.
>>
>>92036187
I gotta be honest with you, senpai, while they did a lot of stupid butchering with the dub...they really were already working with a broken product. The YuGiOh anime was already kinda not so good. It's enjoyable more as a camp product than as an actual serious anime.
>>
How is that here in Latin America we got a great dub and uncensored version of Shaman King? As far as I know, we got the same versions you had of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh in the US. I don't remember if Yu-Gi-Oh had any censoring here.
>>
File: IMG_4059.png (429KB, 668x469px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4059.png
429KB, 668x469px
>>92035816
>>
File: hand hair.png (64KB, 777x179px) Image search: [Google]
hand hair.png
64KB, 777x179px
>>92036545
>>
>>92035642
It was dumb, but dumb in a way that was fun to make fun of.

Compare it to other dubs, that do things like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEXurYaIHao
>>
>>92060548

4Kids Sanji sucked, but I'm glad it exists. Because it's hilarious, but mainly so that they had an easy choice for Fake Sanji in the Return to Sabaody stuff.
>>
>>92045520
Nintendo needs more cartoons.
>>
File: IMG_3958.jpg (68KB, 480x803px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3958.jpg
68KB, 480x803px
>>92062047
>mfw
https://youtube.com/watch?v=NUoIq-7K4xs
>>
>>92053693
>instead of getting run over kira is sent to jail
>holy isnt getting killed she just has a mild fever
>the mother eating baby removed but human dog chimeras stay and become wacky side characters
>>
>>92062047

That do what? Translate culturally specific jokes? Like every other sensible translation does in any medium?
>>
File: 1493254854109.jpg (148KB, 393x829px) Image search: [Google]
1493254854109.jpg
148KB, 393x829px
>>92061313
I'm saying 4kids sounds like were trying to impersonate the manner Japanese Sanji spoke. But just because it does sounds closer doesn't mean it sounds right in English, considering it's 4kids with its retarded accents. Sanji in Japanese sounds more serious where 4kids just sounds slow and goofy. Just listen to Japanese Sanji and try not hear 4kids Sanji
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojkMzlbQsOQ
>>
>>92061183
Cowboy Bebop
Panty and stocking
Ghost stories
FMAB(FMA is shit filler half the time)
If including games Persona 5 is pretty top tier famalam
>>
>>92062312
She definitely wasn't talking about GG in the original
>>
File: juntao.png (406KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
juntao.png
406KB, 800x600px
>tfw no porn of tao jun
>>
>>92061183
Baka and Test plus everything >>92062477 said.

>FMA is shit filler half the time
What does that have to do with the quality of the dub?
>>
>>92062312
I think she probably said something like "otaku" instead of "gamergate", you have to be some sorta newfag normie not to know what an otaku was, why change it? On top of that Japan wouldn't even know what a goobergate is, since its not a issue they have to deal with. It was a move just like Marvel did with shit like "Ask me about my feminist agenda". Shit no one wants to hear. The person who worked on that line was very proud of it and spatted on Twitter for those who criticized it. I hope he was fired for acting like a colossal shitlord, why even work on ecchi anime if you act like a cuck? I swear I head something about it being changed for DVD/Bluray release since it was a syndicated dub, really don't know if that ever happened and could be just me hoping what they did.
>>
>>92047342
>>92050066
Actually, in his win poses, Smash Bros. Meta Knight does still have the accent. It's just that his voice is now a lot deeper.
>>
>>92061769
Yes it had, YugiOh and Pokemon were the 4kids versions, because the compani who dubbed them didnt care to push for getting the japanese license from japan like they did with CCS, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Shaman King, Dragonball, Grimm's Fairy Tales, etc.

For real, Cloverway had to be pushy.
>>
>>92049969
If you want a gag villain, sure. That's why he works in Boom, just like why Roger Craig Smith's annoying asshole voice works for Sonic there. In the mainline, neither of them are really good fits
>>
>>92050771
A lot of his voices are slipping, and he's relying very heavily on "LOL I MADE A JOKE ABOUT HOW I USED TO BE FUNNIER, TAKE THAT HATERS".

Also I really wish he was still doing Mai's voice himself, it just feels wrong having her voiced by a girl
>>
File: 1426955770207.jpg (8KB, 299x419px) Image search: [Google]
1426955770207.jpg
8KB, 299x419px
>>92061183
>They made Ranma sound like an actual teenager at first
>Later switched him to that Richard Whatshisface guy who voice Inuyasha
>>
>>92062312
I'd understand it if it were someone like the chick from Steins;gate who's known for spouting internet memes in the original, but this character is a pretty stereotypical punk. She seems like the last kind of person who would give a damn about Gamergate.
>>
>>92062666
Jun is a high tier waifu. Shame about the necrophilia thing though
>>
>>92062950
Translating Otaku isn't even a big problem, there are enought words which can describe otaku. The respect system creates much more problems in translations, as you really cannot directly translate these "chans" and "sans" without fucking up the lip sync or changing the names. And when you leave them, it just sounds really akward and out of place.
>>
>>92063374
She ain't as bad about it as Faust, but that's the very definition of damning with faint praise.
>>
>>92055650
To be fair, aside from name changes, Disney has been pretty liberal with censoring YW. They even left the buttfucking joke in, albeit with minor visual edits.
>>
>>92063539
Faust gets a pass though because he is the scariest motherfucker in anime history. The entirety of volume 5 is one of the most tense anime/manga sequences I've ever seen
>>
>>92060702
lol
>>
>>92063331
To be fair the Japanese voice was InuYasha too.
>>
>>92038049
>Somehow, this shit managed to be popular and got reran for years.
It's because of dat theme.Sometimes people just wanna go fast.
>>
>>92062909
Pretty much nothing, i think its okay but FMAB is the superior dub imo
>>
>>92061183
The delivery was perfect for the dub

>"I AM TATEWAKI KUNO. THE BLUE THUNDER OF FURINKEN HIGH!"
>"Blue Thunder? Is that what he calls himself now?"
>"First I've heard of it"
>>
File: Weeeee_by_Tao_Jun.jpg (185KB, 355x500px) Image search: [Google]
Weeeee_by_Tao_Jun.jpg
185KB, 355x500px
>>92062666
What a fucking tragedy.
>>
>>92065016
Why americans think taht they can only make a good dub by making snarky doofy 90s dialogue?

Dont give me your fucking apologetics, mexicans got these shows with almost direct translations and it did just well, so why is this bastardization necessarily.
>>
>>92065362
>making snarky doofy 90s dialogue?
Oh yeah, God forbid an anime from the 90's have dialog for the 90's.
>>
>>92043045
Even /a/ likes the Ghost Stories' dub and they hate 99% of dubs, especially abridged/gag focused dubs. It just shows how good of a job they did with it.
>>
>>92037661
I still have a morbid curiosity as to how 4kids would have been able to rework this into Brook's backstory if they had ever had the chance to dub the show up to Thriller Bark.

>>92037672
>that Luffy
I miss that artstyle.
>>
>>92065716
>abridged/gag focused dubs
Those are fine until the people "not doing it for money" start doing it for money and whine when studios try to shut their projects down.
>>
File: IMG_0908.jpg (41KB, 439x265px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0908.jpg
41KB, 439x265px
>>92061183
Truly, you have the pinnacle of tastes, anon.
>>
>>92041568
>Phantom Blood is replaced with Spooky Ghost
>>
>>92036853
>0:36
>4kids was removing Trace before Oda ever could
>>
>>92038201
The new show is legit good.

Seasons after johto were great
>>
>>92066576
I laugh, not because I understand the reference, but because giving 4kids any excuse to use "ghost of a chance" gets a chuckle out of me.
>>
>>92036035
They butchered it so bad they removed 40 some episodes worth of material from the first 143 Japanese broadcasts.

If they continued this would have bit them back fucking HARD later as One Piece hardly ever has things that don't come back around later years down the road. They already completely fucked up Brook's backstory years before they would get to that point as they completely scrubbed out Laboon.
>>
>>92065362
Funny thing, the Mexican dub of Ranma fucked up on Tatewaki's name: they didn't flip his name from the original Japanese, so Tatewaki became his last name. This proved a problem later when Kodachi came along, having to wrongfully rename her to Tatewaki in order to keep consistency. And even then, they forgot about this in a later episode.

So yeah, among other good ol' dub flubs, the Mexican dub bastardised things in a different way.
>>
>>92065362
To be fair our dubs also had that, don't let those nostalgia googles bind you
>>
File: 1467677289547.jpg (120KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1467677289547.jpg
120KB, 1440x1080px
>>92069275
>HUH HUH HUH the mexibeans dubs made a mistake with teh character's name
>Comparable with garage localization Saban/4kids/Viz/DisneyXD does!

TRY HARD! GET REAL!
>>
>>92070156
The only dub that i recalled was done like that was Koni Chan, and maybe some jokes in Shaman King, but they still dubbed the japanese versions.
>>
>>92038264

They did that in Dragon Ball Z too, when Raditz picks up Gohan. So baffling.
>>
>>92037301
I like the 4kids version better quite frankly. 4kids also did better with the Yugioh dub than anything Japan has managed to shit out.
>>
File: good one.jpg (20KB, 453x500px) Image search: [Google]
good one.jpg
20KB, 453x500px
>>92037278
>Let me use my monster reborn!
>HAND OVER THAT MONSTER REBORN NOW
>Hrrr! Take it.
>>
>>92042859
What the fuck is this gold? Is this real? Oh my god it's perfect. Please tell me it's a real dub and not an abridged series.
>>
>>92042859
Wait, is that tall purple-haired chick the voice of Stocking Anarchy?
>>
>>92070763
see
>>92043244
>>92043214
Thread posts: 441
Thread images: 84

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.