[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I miss All-Star Western. I want some more in rebirth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

File: 1329964691449.png (168KB, 588x585px) Image search: [Google]
1329964691449.png
168KB, 588x585px
I miss All-Star Western. I want some more in rebirth
>>
File: All-Star_Western_Vol_3_27.jpg (635KB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
All-Star_Western_Vol_3_27.jpg
635KB, 1987x3056px
Gray and Palmiotti sold their soul in a vain attempt to keep alive a book that probably shouldn't have even existed.

The original 70 issue run is a masterpiece, and I'm glad they got to end the book on their terms, but I'm not really sad All-Star Western is gone.
>>
>>92023970
It was kept alive due to Didio. Johns doesn't like Jonah Hex.
>>
>>92023970
You're not alone, man.
>>
Why hasn't DC reprinted the original Jonah Hex stories?
>>
>>92026111
This
>>
File: Jonah Hex Showcase 01.jpg (484KB, 768x1181px) Image search: [Google]
Jonah Hex Showcase 01.jpg
484KB, 768x1181px
>>92026111
>>92028195
They did put out a couple of DC Showcase Jonah Hex volumes, but only a couple. I guess sales must've been too low to warrant a new one for now.
V2, however, *really* deserves a new printing. It's just 70 issues, you could easily put out a bunch of 20 issues per volume books, or even an omni. But there's no way it's high enough on their priorities list, especially right now.
>>
I think we got a good run, I'm happy to let Hex go for a few years.

What I would like to see when Hex finally returns is;

1. Someone other than Palmiotti and Gray writing. They've had their say, and have since regressed into being worse at their craft anyway.
2. Self-contained graphic novels or prestige-format oneshots as opposed to an ongoing. Something closer to the European style. I think that format would benefit a niche character like Jonah, and give the creators ample room to do what they want with him without concern for sales.
>>
File: Jonah Hex 27.jpg (279KB, 900x1375px) Image search: [Google]
Jonah Hex 27.jpg
279KB, 900x1375px
>>92028319
I actually checked out Gray's Lone Ranger mini and it was pretty decent, but I do 100% agree with point two. One of the biggest selling points of V2 was getting to see a shitton of incredibly awesome and varied artists from America and Europe kick ass all over the place. A series of yearly OGN's or prestige anthology volumes with rotating teams would give artists more time and page space to really shine, and give writers more room for each story.
>>
All-Star Western sucked. It completely butched up the concept of old west Gotham.
>>
Jonah Hex having a happy ending and not ending up as a stuffed prop FUCKING SUCKS.
>>
>>92028563
I've been reading all their creator-owned Kickstarter stuff and it's almost all completely forgettable, even that one Western GN they did I already forget the name of.

But yeah I think that would be the best place for Hex and other such genre-bound characters. Plus as one-offs it's less of a gamble for DC to put out.
>>
File: Jonah Hex 21.jpg (113KB, 600x587px) Image search: [Google]
Jonah Hex 21.jpg
113KB, 600x587px
>>92028825
Oh man, I'd fucking die if they made a Rebirth special for Hex and it was literally just a reprint of The Last Bounty-Hunter.
>Rebirth brings back supporting cast, romances, long-lost legacy characters and beloved fan favorites
>Hex's Rebirth only brings him dying horribly and his corpse getting stuffed back
>>
>>92028863

Seriously, that whole time-travel plot sucked. Hex having a tragic ending on enhance the character.
>>
>>92028808
???

An East Coast port City like Gotham would be far removed from the Old West.
>>
File: Jonah Hex - JEZUS.jpg (758KB, 1263x1487px) Image search: [Google]
Jonah Hex - JEZUS.jpg
758KB, 1263x1487px
>>92028909
I'm a bit torn about it, really. On one hand, I completely agree that one of the biggest elements of Hex as a character is that A) he dies, and B) he dies horribly. Everything about his death is just pitiful in the most heart-rending of ways, and it was something that has hung over his character for decades. I genuinely love and cherish Hex's ultimate fate because it gives him a sense of real world history that no other character has. We know the exact date and manner of his death, and we know that no matter how many crazy impossible gun-fighting feats he does, death is eventually going to get him.
But on the other hand, it did feel a little pleasant to see him get away from that fate in at least one universe after years of having that Damocles' sword hanging over his head. Especially within the circumstances of a creative team that clearly loved the guy and the series but just couldn't keep it alive. It somewhat helped swallow that fucking cancellation pill and I can't hate on it too hard because of that.
>>
>>92029089

The problem is that All-Star Western seemed like a collection of missed opportunities. The whole Gotham concept wasn't really explored in full. Instead we had stupid tie-ins to cross-overs and generic cape type stories. The back-ups were more interesting. They had the original crazy Arkham doctor in the comic and not even explored all the creepy stuff related to the character. Not even the whole Barbatos thing was explored other than Hex battling a giant bat.

Then you had the time-travel plot and i don't know what that was for. Just Hex meeting random DC characters? Dating some OC? Learning about his death? Bleh.

The original Jonah Hex run was a masterpiece. If they wanted to give Hex a happy ending, just ignore his death and focus on the nebulous years with him and Tallulah being happy together.
>>
File: Jonah Hex - ASW Unused Cover.jpg (87KB, 474x720px) Image search: [Google]
Jonah Hex - ASW Unused Cover.jpg
87KB, 474x720px
>>92029163
I feel like the best bits about Hex in Gotham were the parts that played with crashing a hard-boiled rough-edged brutal cowboy into a victorian-esque mystery novel, but I do agree that they went too far into a cape-ish direction once they started dragging the fucking Court of Owls and Religion of Crime into it. It made for great action but it missed that cool cowboy+detective feel of the early bits. And yeah, if they'd gone for a more supernatural/psychological twist instead of running headlong into cooky supervillains it probably would've fit the setting a lot more.
The time travel I see it as Graymiotti trying to pull a HEX but pumping it chock full of mostly hollow guest appearances and running out of steam super fucking early. The cool thing about HEX is that it was a brand new world with very tight, compressed stories. Meanwhile, ASW's later half sold itself on a bunch of meetings that were never really explored or had any big meaning apart from making for some striking covers. The one bit I did enjoy a lot was the whole museum scene, with Hex slowly realizing he's living history until he comes face to face with himself. Here's a guy who has accepted he's going to die, but now he's forced to see everything that's gonna happen afterwards. It was the most poignant part of the whole ordeal, but getting there took like five issues that felt like twelve.
>>
Got to inject some new blood into it, after 70+ issues a creative team starts to run dry.

Also, I'm against Jonah having an happy ending on principle.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.