[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

would this comic work if america was a gay male?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: america001_cover.jpg (358KB, 450x675px) Image search: [Google]
america001_cover.jpg
358KB, 450x675px
would this comic work if america was a gay male?
>>
>>91971496
that's what the new Iceman comic is for.
>>
File: 1480380479800.jpg (151KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1480380479800.jpg
151KB, 800x600px
>>91971512
gay iceman has never worked for me

i always felt like everyone was just projecting gay onto bobby and telling him he was gay

and he was so dumb be believed it and just went along with it

now maybe if bobby was a sociopath who was gay when the situation needed it to be or some type of sparkling gay bowie iceman

>tfw im the one projecting now
>>
>>91971554
It's one of those thing where people read him as gay, because of his many failed relationships now on the one hand Queer-coded characters have been used to help readers someone to relate too, but on the other hand Queer-coded always seems to be just stereotypes that to say something is intended to be Queer like it has hot men in it, or the women have Queer design, like it's only is queer and not just aesthetic preference.
>>
>>91971496
A friend of mine is a huge America fan. After he read this series was the only time i have ever seen him look absolutely soulcrushed.

Soo.. Gonna go with 'No. It would not work."
>>
File: arrygahtow democratasan.jpg (617KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
arrygahtow democratasan.jpg
617KB, 1280x720px
>>91971496
This comic wouldn't work with a christian, blue-eyed, flyover state, male, white, cis, heterosexual, righthanded, blue collar, republican, blonde.
>>
Its kind of a pity, because it seems some people at marvel seem to think social network kudos is the same as sales dollars.

I mean representation is fine, though, (i really hate that word, feels so tokenesk and forced), and comics have always had a streak like this.

While the characters do have stories to tell, i can't help but feel the best place for diverse characters is team/group books because the audiences for some of these characters is so marginal. They deserve spotlight from time to time, but a mini way to do it i think.
>>
>>91971496
all other things being the same? No.
>>
>>91971867
hows cap dong anyway?
>>
>>91972060
Clickbait: The Comic that has fooled some /co/mrades into thinking it's good
>>
>>91972095
To be fair it is like watching a beautiful trainwreck with not only the comic but the audience reaction as well.
>WILL NICK SPENCER CONVINCE EVERYONE THIS IS MASTERPIECE!
>Nick Spencer proceeds to eat his own word
>Marvel fails to convince anyone Hydra is not Nazi's
>Make's Magneto Hydra to convince people that they are not Nazi'a
>All the alternate timeline crap.

It's like watching an internet soap opera.
>>
>>91971554
meh, it's not as dumb as kitty's age flipping between teenager, tween and young adult constantly within the same continuity
>>
>>91972363
She has a secondary mutation that allows her to phase through her own timestream.
>>
The writing is so bad that it wouldn't work with anything.

Her being lesbian is not the reason why the comic is bad, the writer being fucking shit is the reason why it's bad.
>>
>>91971496
The problem with her comic wasn't her sexuality, you could make her straight, make her male, make her gay and so on and all that would change would swap who her lover is. The problem is the shit writing.
>>
>>91971496
Why do so many comicbooks read just like shitty self-insert wish fulfilment fanfiction these days? Is it because new writers coming into the industry are primarily fanboys/girls and can't distance themselves from the characters? Because if so the industry desperately needs to find writers outside of the fandom swamp.
>>
What would they say instead of holy menstruation
>>
>>91971496
If by work you mean "Be the same vacuous garbage because identity politics do not a good story make" then, yes.
>>
>>91973582
Holy dicksplash.
>>
>>91971496
Maybe if Steve Orlando wrote it.
>>
Would make the lesbian girlfriend pretty awkward.

Otherwise no change.
>>
>>91972363
>kitty's age flipping between teenager, tween and young adult constantly within the same continuity
Sounds like Kate Leth
>>
I'm confused as to what you mean. It's mostly the same garbage as the other SJW Marvel books. There's nothing inherent to the character America that makes it bad (and of course she is actually good in the other book).
>>
>>91971496
the main thing that needs to change is the writer
>>
>>91971554
>i always felt like everyone was just projecting gay onto bobby and telling him he was gay
That's because they have. Editorial is speaking through the characters.
>>
>>91971731
It's pretty damn rough.

At least she is still worth reading in The Ultimates.
>>
>>91971496
Pre-internet something this bad would have never shipped a second issue.
>>
>>91971731
>A friend of mine is a huge America fan

I don't understand how this can happen. It feels as though "from world where lesbianism is the norm" cuts her down at the first step forward.
>>
>>91971496
>on one of those "what if x character was y minority" threads a few weeks back
>make a joke about how it'd be pretty fucking funny if Guy Gardner were gay and really out and proud about it
>other anons agreed with me and think that he'd work well like that

Well, now that I've remembered that;

Wouldn't gay Guy Gardner basically be a less shitty, less poorly written America Chavez?
>>
>>91977123
Wasn't that something only Young Avengers added but she existed years before that?
>>
>>91976138
He means fans, too. Editorial and Bendis didn't invent the "Bobby is gay" theory. There's fucking 90s usenet posts about Bobby being in the closet. Thing is that it was always a stupid theory that only existed because "Bobby is shit at relationships." All find and good for people writing slash-fics but actually making it canon was dumb as fuck.
>>
>>91971496
No, gay males are still cis and male, so they're privileged shitlords.
>>
>>91972060
>Cap
>Republican
>right-winged
>flyover state

You're thinking USAgent. Cap is a Roosevelt Democrat from NYC.
>>
>>91971496
WHAT THE HOLY DICKCHEESE ARE YOU DOING HERE?
>>
>>91971496
>ANOTHER FUCKING AMERICA THREAD
We just had one yesterday.
>>
>>91977924
Would Guy be a bottom or a top though?
>>
>>91971496
No. It also wouldn't work if it was a straight woman or a straight man either.

A boring comic is a boring comic.
>>
No, because it's still BADLY WRITTEN.

America can be gay as fucking Christmas if you do something with it, but she's just. An awful design. If she's a patriotic hero why is she from another dimension to tell us how to live? Why are her superpowers, which are pretty cool, just played as "the biggest badass ever don't u step"? What are her motivations, enemies, supporting cast?

Oh right her new SOLO's first act was to DROP HER ONE SUPPORTING CAST MEMBER in, frankly, a fucking skeezy ass way. "Welp I fucked you one last time piss off!"
>>
The ostensible "main character" of Gotham Central was a gay hispanic woman and that book is amazing.

Diversity is not the problem. It's never the problem. Bad writers are the problem.
>>
>>91978712
>patriotic hero
she's meant to be patriotic? other than the outfit i didn't get that vibe at all.
>>
don't fucking post the first two issues again, i wont hesitate to finger my asshole on the highway
>>
>>91973582
Holy nocturnal emission.
>>
>>91978781
yeah EXACTLY.

Like I know it's her fucking name but why is she "America" and always wearing american themed shit when her motivation has nothing to do with America.
>>
File: 01x13.png (114KB, 322x240px) Image search: [Google]
01x13.png
114KB, 322x240px
>>91978921
>i wont hesitate to finger my asshole on the highway
OK?
>>
>>91979274
Because she was introduced before her backstory was in place (she's supposed to be a new, modern version of Miss America) but the creators didn't get around to filling in her backstory. Instead, Kieron Gillen wrote up the backstory which is basically like a parody of Wonder Woman and so that stuck. I don't know if Gillen did it based on the creators' suggestions though, but it's also possible.
>>
>>91980246
So don't you change the backstory? Change her character? Say she's a new post-SW America who's native to 616? Give her a new super-name?

Of course not. That'd involve too much thinking for an author who clearly wants to shotgun out a half-assed story as fast as possible so she can earn her paycheck. Stripping away everything "diverse" about America Chavez the comic, it just doesn't work as a comic.
>>
>>91973566
That's Marvel's approach to most of their recent female lead character books. It's crazy how all these "diverse" characters all talk and act exactly the same. In DC, Harley doesn't act or talk like Diana, Jessica, Vixen, Frost or Katana and vice versa for all of them.
>>
>>91971496
A forced comic never works
>>
>>91983141
No, but Marvel and DC hold their ears shut and pretend it did

that's why Carol still has a comic.
>>
File: 1460942836912.jpg (181KB, 1110x684px) Image search: [Google]
1460942836912.jpg
181KB, 1110x684px
NO, SO LONG AS GABBY RIVERA IS THE WRITER IT WILL STILL BE SHIT

NUYORICANS ARE NOT PUERTO RICAN, THE FUCKING WRITER FOR THIS PISSES ME OFF, EVERY SINGLE PAGE LITERALLY HAD ME CRINGING HARD WITH ITS "LOOK HOW HISPANIC I AM" SHIT, FUCK THIS SHIT LITERALLY HAS ME FUCKING PISSED

I CAN GET CALLED A SPIC, A POORTO RICAN , ETC. TO MY FACE AND IT WON'T FAZE ME BUT THE SHIT IN THIS COMIC HAS ME PHYSICALLY FUCKING ANGERED
>>
>>91978650
Power Bottom
>>
>>91971496
But America is a gay male, OP.

Anyway, I didn't bother reading this one. Anyone want to redpill me on how it turned out?
>>
>>91971496
No, this is the perfect situation.

This book wouldn't have worked in any other sense. This is the perfect cringe book.
>>
>>91984179
Just look at one of the many, many storytimes of it. There's probably one still in the archives.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.