[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Harry Potter as a Comic Book?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

Could it work?
>>
It's called Books of Magic
>>
>>91937909
Strange, while I can acknowledge the sheer skill and craft involved in that, it's terribly static and makes me feel nothing.
>>
>>91938467
It definitely doesn't help that it breaks the 180 degree rule in those bottom panels, or that the panel where the dragon breathes fire is completely unnecessary because there's no subsequent panel of Harry reacting to it.
>>
>>91938632
I find the transition from the fourth panel to the fifth to be the most jarring.
Like he just >*teleports behind you*
>>
>>91937928
kek
>>
>>91937928
This. Didn't Rowling say that it was her main inspiration or something?
>>
>>91938632
>180 degree rule
Learned something the whys of visuals.
Is there any reliable youtube playlist for more of this sort of thing? Excuse my laziness, but I'd rather not go digging through the content of mounds of hack copycats before I get to someone who knows what they're talking about.
I can't tell you how tiring it is to watch one movie or comic analysis video only to have youtube recommend me dozens of imitators over-inflating their interpretation of someone else's interpretation for quick views and a sense of self importance.
>>
>>91937909
Literally the worst medium available. Why?
>>
>>91940364
>>91938632
The 180 degree rule is really over-exaggerated in its importance by comics laymen. Also in the construction of this page >>91937909 the intent is obviously that Harry is so focused on the object that the 5th panel *is* his reaction to the dragon flame (whether you think that works or not).

I don't find anything in the OP picture hard to follow.
>>
better than reading "stretch his legs" more than 50 times in a single book
>>
>>91937909
Not only it would work, I'm surprised that WB hasn't done it yet.
Just think about a Harry Potter universe:

Post book 7:

>Harry potter
>Hogwarts stories
>a contemporary Fantastic beast
Pre-books:

>The Marauders
>Dumbledore
>Voldemort
>Fantastic Beast

plus a shit ton of minis. It would just print money and it would be as big as Star Wars.
>>
>>91937909
Rowling has been very tight fisted with HP. If she wasn't DC would have been released some comics especially when Marvel started printing money with their Star Wars comics.
>>
>>91940891
>I'm surprised that WB hasn't done it yet.
Cause they would need JK approval or pay her more royalties or their movie division wants fuck all to do with their comics division? What's the most realistic answer, because I've always seen as a missed opportunity for DC as well.
>>
Deh!
>>
>>91940946
>JK approval
I hate her even more
>their movie division wants fuck all to do
not that's a bad thing, but why can't they let the comic division do their own shit like always? It's not like they're interfering with DC usual comics anyway
>>
>>91940966
>I hate that a creator wants to have all creative control over their product to prevent it from being an inconsistent shit show with thousands of writers trying to put in their own two cents for "lore"
>>
>>91940986
Yeah because the drama she green lighted was a masterpiece of good writing am I right?
>>
>>91940986
yah she does a good job making it a shitshow all on her own
>>
>>91940986
Honestly, any comic writer could come up with something on par with the shit that came from "The Cursed Child".
>>
>>91941013
>>91941025
>>91941081
Yes, that's entirely the point. At least when something it dragged to shit by the hands of the creator, you know who to blame and the shit is still controlled.

If WB was allowed to do fuck all with it, there'd be like, three reboots, several retcons, dozens of new characters added, and a bunch of other shit to milk that cow dry way more than JK could do single-handedly.

It's the difference between Simpsons and Gravity Falls. Sure, GF might have gotten awful by the end of it because of Alex, but at least it won't be dragged through the mud for 20 years.
>>
>>91941137
And if the comic is just a retreading of the books? There's no real room for a writer to input their own events if it's just following the books.
>>
>>91941137
While I can agree with your view, I'd still take the chance and hoping for something good that would eventually came up (I love the Star Wars expanded Universe btw as much of a convulted mess as it was)
>>91941187
This is a horrible thing that no one should do, I don't want to see the same thing for a third time.
>>
File: 1476884181809.jpg (1MB, 1623x2886px) Image search: [Google]
1476884181809.jpg
1MB, 1623x2886px
There shall not be comics of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though

"No!" The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
>>
>>91940946
>What's the most realistic answer
JK Rowling has a lot of control over what gets made

She doesn't want a comic of Harry Potter

If WB did control it, there would be A LOT more Harry Potter stuff and there'd be a movie reboot on the way
>>
>>91940435
This. Take out most of the words from the novels and attaching pictures to word bubbles doesn't improve anything, except make a cheaper made book that costs less to buy.

It doesn't even come with the the advantage of getting to see the action in motion, like the movies adaptations. What are the upsides?
>>
>>91937909
Only if Best Girl wins the Harry Bowl.
>>
>>91937928
There's also the deconstruction of that in The Unwritten
>>
>>91944725

She's too good for Harry.
>>
>>91940946
Isn't the president of DC the person who made the Harry Potter deal for Warner Bros?
>>
>>
>>91942684
I've nevers seen so much bullshit in a single image
>>
>>91940026
No.

But Gaiman has said the similarities are basically them drawing from many of the same sources in British Childrens Lit.
>>
File: draco malfoy tg.png (4MB, 1985x2620px) Image search: [Google]
draco malfoy tg.png
4MB, 1985x2620px
>>91944725
We all know who she is.
>>
>>91947435
It's a copypasta that is always posted whenever Harry Potter is discussed on 4Chan.Ignore it
>>
>>91947823
>lassies
When did the Weasleys turn into elderly Scots?
>>
>>91941081

The cursed child was the worst shit I ever read and I read comic books. She should be ashamed of that play
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.