[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So when does Spawn become a good comic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Spawn_01-1.png (258KB, 700x1077px) Image search: [Google]
Spawn_01-1.png
258KB, 700x1077px
This is long, please bear with me.
I'm a 29 year old male.
Back in the 90s I got the videogame "Todd McFarlane's Spawn: The Videogame" for SNES. I played the shit out of the game, loved it, thought the quality of the levels got progressively darker and weirder. I knew it must've been based on a comic book (never asked parents to buy comics, since videogames were expensive enough for parents to spend in) but I never got into it.
Many years later I watched the HBO animated series of Spawn, and I started to like Spawn even more, I liked the concept of Spawn as a tragic character and had developed a great imagination for what the developed story of Spawn could be. I also grew an interest in the whole "Angels VS Demons" or "angels and/or demons" concept because of Spawn, Diablo, (and vaguely, Starcraft and Legend of Dragoon), the X/1999 anime, and the Holy Bible. And then I started thinking about the comics, knowing they were the source material for everything Spawn. It was a curiosity that always scratched at me. I imagined that Spawn might have been a trove of awesome angels vs. demons frenzy that quickly became forlorn because it came out in an era way ahead of its time. Again, I don't read comics, never have until a year ago when, coincidentally, I started reading The Walking Dead (because of the show) and boy have I loved it. I never thought I would enjoy anything "zombies"-related, especially after what they did to Resident Evil post-RE3, those dumb pieces of shit, nevermind a COMIC BOOK about zombies. And then I noticed that Image Comics is being helmed by Todd McFarlane. So that brought me back to thinking about Spawn. So I finally started reading Spawn and I have to say I am very disappointed so far. I am on issue 14 and my eyes are opened to how bad these comics are.

Okay, after that TL;DR, my question is:

WHEN DOES SPAWN BECOME A GOOD COMIC??? Help me, /co/. I am almost ready to give up on this.
>>
>>91928648
It really only gets worse from there.
>>
As a sexy white man who has read the first three Spawn Origins trades, I can tell you that it must be somewhere after issue 20.
>>
>>91928648
It doesn't. People liked it because it was super edgy in the 90s and the art style was popular back then. Image comics were a fad back then and they helped nearly crash the industry. There isn't a single comic by image from the early 90s that can stand the test of time. You have to be big into liking trash ironically to get any enjoyment out of it.
>>
>>91928648
I've read through a significant portion of the series a decade ago.

It's not good. There's a handful of interesting concepts strewn around. I still like the idea of Catholic ninja vampires. But it's just not good.

The setting and mythology are inconsistent, the action is sparse and uninteresting, there is no real drama, there is no direction and the side characters are pointless.

There's an obvious, direct narrative track that could have been followed. Spawn is reborn. Spawn takes revenge on his killers, who pull out increasingly bizarre counter-methods before they are dead. Spawn tries to reconnect with his old life before he gives up. Spawn is hunted by Heaven and Hell, potentially allying with a third party, or creating his own faction with dissatisfied members of the two big ones. Spawn takes the fight to his infernal masters, wins, and then retires as the new lord of Hell, maybe dealing with a revolution or two.

But McFarlane didn't want to deal with it so we got a mess instead, where he fought Catholic ninja vampires, cyborgs, bikini angels, mad scientists and serial killers.
>>
OP here
>>91928686
>>91928745
This is saddening. But,
>>91928742
I hope to try and go through the whole series, hopefully Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore are not the only good story writers of this. I might just start my own franchise by doing something similar to Spawn but safely different.
>>
>>91928648
If you don't immediately enjoy Spawn, you never will. It has stayed pretty much the same for years.
I like it, but I enjoy the black metal aesthetic a lot, so that's not surprising.
>>
OP here
>>91929078
>catholic ninja vampires
>cyborgs
>mad scientists
>serial killers
Cripes. Hell and Heaven have so much otherworldly visual potential, but Todd decides to shit it up with these human variants, I would've expected a 'supernatural' character like Spawn to be above these by the time he learned the basic control of his powers.
>>91929217
>black metal aesthetic
Hahah I know what you mean.
>>
Fuuuuhk op I remember that game I was to young to understand it so I would only get to that boss battle where the guy threw Shit at you. I remember my older brother could beat it so I loved that game, my dad use buy the toys from Costco or what ever it was called back then. Back like 3 years ago when I fist got into comics I tried getting around to reading the comics and damn I was dissapointed. My best advice is get into the hellboy Universe man, a lot of demon stuff, some religious stuff but it's well written and there's a lot of content. There's actually an anon story timing everything hellboy this weekend and you can find the past storytimes in the archives, look up mignolaverse in the archives.
>>
File: JUL010391_1._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg (49KB, 360x553px) Image search: [Google]
JUL010391_1._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg
49KB, 360x553px
comicbros, we should give our new friend here some angel/demon comic recs.

You might enjoy this book, Lucifer. The Fox TV show is based on it but the comic is much different and much better. I would suggest starting with volume 1. 75 issues that started in 2000. It is a spinoff of another comic called Sandman that is very good, but you can still enjoy Lucifer without it.
>>
OP, it'd probably be easier for you to look for other comics that have themes you're interested in.
>>
File: Saints 1-thumb-500x769-440513.jpg (175KB, 499x769px) Image search: [Google]
Saints 1-thumb-500x769-440513.jpg
175KB, 499x769px
>>91930160
Not sure if this counts but Saints was a pretty fun read, to bad it ended pretty quick.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.