[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /co/ opinion about Tomm Moore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: songoftheSea.jpg (213KB, 1000x786px) Image search: [Google]
songoftheSea.jpg
213KB, 1000x786px
"The Secret of Kells" and "Song of the Sea" are beautiful, and the trailer of "Wolfwalkers" looks even more promising.
>>
>>91923790
Both are a visual treat, but lacking in story.
>>
>>91923810
This. And it's not a bad thing
>>
>>91923790
Moore is fantastic from a visual standpoint and I appreciate that he makes movies based around the history and folklore of his country.

>>91923810
This anon is right, but honestly I consider the visuals so strong that the lackluster plots don't even bug me that much.
>>
I agree. I love his movies, and the stories are very basic, but the art is so fucking good.
>>
>>91923790
Wolfwalkers looks like it was done for wolfaboos.
>>
>>91923810
I felt Song of the Sea did significantly better than Kells in terms of the story department.
>>
>>91923810
>>91924147
Secret of Kells is better than Song of the Sea in terms of story and theme, it just isn't as acceptable to people who don't pick up on the subtext. I did a whole essay on the subtext of Kells last semester and it got nominated for an award.
>>
Fucking love Song of the Sea, I need to see Secret of Kells again. I remember not caring for it when I first saw it, but that was a long time ago.
>>
File: 1412313971950.jpg (26KB, 482x277px) Image search: [Google]
1412313971950.jpg
26KB, 482x277px
>>91924278
Secret of Kells certainly isn't anywhere near has heavy in the feels department as Song was.
>That scene where he begs his mother not to leave him again
>>
>>91923790
Song of the Sea was great.
Haven't seen Secret of Kells, but I like the style.
I'll definitely be looking forward to Wolfwalkers.

I definitely enjoy the style, especially seeing as how most other people seem to insist they need to copy Disney or just whatever is on TV at the time. It looks good, and being distinctive is a plus.
>>
File: saoirse_by_mojot-d97ct6c.jpg (151KB, 740x693px) Image search: [Google]
saoirse_by_mojot-d97ct6c.jpg
151KB, 740x693px
>>91923790
I'd give it 9/10 overall. Visuals definitely get a 10/10. There's really not much to say it's just straight forward great there.

And story is a 9/10. But this genre is a particular favorite of mine. Not sure how I could give an objective evaluation of the story without rewatching it again... which perhaps I should.

I will say this, Ben's attitude and reaction towards the story is pretty realistic I think. His reactions to loss, the settling of resentment, his desire to see "the story" through to the end thanks to all his nostalgia and feelings tied to the legends and tales. I think that there makes this a deeper story than first appears and deserves some credit.

The story overall feels pretty whimsy but that's the feel of Tim Moore's work. I quite like that personally. There's also a real touch of sadness with this one, reflecting the loss of magic and the passing of the old ways. Great mood piece actually in that regard.

Also, did anyone else notice the cameo of Aisling from Secret of Kells? Or did you notice that the movie seems to be set in the good old 1980s?
>>
File: 50739715_p0.png (741KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
50739715_p0.png
741KB, 720x1280px
>>91924351
Oh god, now I'm getting feels just thinking about that.

>>91924254
Got a place online we can read it? I'd like to see that.

I feel like there's a lot more to Kells than meets the eye. A big part is that most people outside of Ireland may not know that the book of Kells is a real thing and what it was based upon, and it's intended purpose. Once you grasp that, especially if you have true understanding of religious background, it adds a far greater poignancy and meaning to Aisling's final words "Turn the darkness into light." There's so much more to that, because then it gets into the merging of mythologies by the celtic and Christian... and it just goes on from there.
>>
File: feelsideout.png (252KB, 478x437px) Image search: [Google]
feelsideout.png
252KB, 478x437px
>>91926175
>Just checked results page I've been checking on and off for four months
>They came back and I didn't get notified
>I didn't make it
>Lost to token diversity essays about social stratification in Baghdad and my uni only being able to claim diversity because it comes from an ethnically diverse city
>It still isn't as crushing as when I emailed Cartoon Saloon during the research asking if I could interview anyone and they didn't respond

o-ok whatev-ver. . .
>>
>>91927110
Post it and we'll thank you and make you feel better. I've seen you post about this essay several times in various threads now and you got me curious enough to at least skim it.
>>
>>91924254
Link to that essay?
>>
>>91923790
I mentally checked out on Secret of Kells halfway through and don't remember anything about it but Song of the Sea is a best-of-the-decade contender.
>>
>>91927196
>>91927374
took my name off and dumped it into a pastebin just for you guys: https://pastebin.com/TS8tBhYS

I admittedly may have gotten a little too "Dude Jesus"-y near the end. And because it's something subjective like a film there's no real way to implement statistics and shit like the other ones had.
>>
>>91928234
Thankyou. Reading now.
>>
>>91928234
>>91927110
Sorry, took a while to read because I was distracted with other things. It's an okay essay, I guess. My biggest criticism would be that it mostly just seems to be a summary of the film. And I get that you have to summarize it to talk about it and make your essay on it, but there were only two or three times that I said to myself "oh neat" when I had learned anything actually new, that was an original connection you yourself made to something outside of the film's story. I really liked those parts, though, but there were too few. I gotta imagine this must be a dull read for somebody who hasn't watched the movie, considering this was a story that heavily used visuals to carry it. And as somebody that has seen the movie more than once, this was also a dull read, because there wasn't much in the way of new stuff for me to take from it. Probably doesn't help that I've likely seen you post your original ideas in the essay in threads around here before, so maybe that doesn't help my personal perception.

But hey, if summarizing a film was what you were supposed to be doing, then good job.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.