[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Last 14 hours to fund the Providence Art Book on Kickstarter.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 12

Last 14 hours to fund the Providence Art Book on Kickstarter. There's also some spots in the Slipcase reward level.

Needs to raise 5k more to earn the last stretch goal of 16 more pages of creature designs.
>>
>>91914800
>liking Providence for the art

It was serviceable and the guy drew what was needed of him, but it was nothing worth getting an art book about
>>
>>91914800
>>91915093
The art was good, but not flashy. Where it really excels is in composition and how it illustrates what's going on in the story. In that area it's peerless. I can't think of another book that even comes close.
>>
Here to support the thread.
Were we to reach the last stretchgoal, I'd cum buckets.

>>91915093
I'm a sucker for character design, so if we can get extra material about Lovecraftian monsters then I'd sell my soul
>>
>>91915093
>>91915287
>The art was good, but not flashy.

That's what makes it perfect for the story. It's a perfect match for the tone and subtlety of the whole narrative.
>>
HOORK?
>>
>>91914800
How about posting a link?
>>
>>91916829
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/avatarpress/providence-the-art-book-and-complete-slipcase-set
>>
File: Providence Collection Slipcase.jpg (216KB, 680x816px) Image search: [Google]
Providence Collection Slipcase.jpg
216KB, 680x816px
>>91916829
>>91916846
>>
will we make it to 115k, /co/?
>>
>>91917024
Probably not
>>
File: sad+cthulhu.jpg (118KB, 300x420px) Image search: [Google]
sad+cthulhu.jpg
118KB, 300x420px
>>91917669

>mfw
>>
>>91917024
>>91917669
>>91918451

To be frank, it's an utterly dick move to only offer one stretch goal that far past the funding goal.

And no physical Yugoth Cultures add on is idiotic.
>>
>>91918602
It's three stretch goals. but your point still stands that 2/3 of the stretch goals are actual content.
Only one is some additional gimmick thing.
It's ridiculous that you'd have to have to hope that it gets funded 1200 times over to get character designs in.

They recieved a lot of pleas about Yuggoth Cultures so they put the HC of it at 50% on their store. It's still dumb because if they're going through the trouble to reprint a new Neonomicon HC with a new (worse) cover, they could have stuck the first Moore/Burrows collab into it.
>>
>>91918655

Ah. I haven't been paying the closest of attention. I didn't see the other stretch goals.

I also didn't see the Yuggoth Creatures sale. What a bone headed way to handle it. I want it as an add on so it all arrives at once. I don't want another damned charge and shipping fee and whatever.
>>
>>91919112
you'll get it all at once. they sent an email with an exclusive update and the way to do it
I could post it here if you haven't pledged and got it
>>
>>91919112
They haven't even advertised the sale on their own site.
You just go in and it says "50% off" on some of Moore's stuff.

Yeah, it's dumb and I don't even know why they're handling the Slipcase like they did. It's a bunch of second or third printings mixed with first ones. That's not very compelling to people who are more autistic collectors. Like, admittedly, me.
>>
>>91918655
>>91919112

To add on, they should be offering a Fashion Beast collection, Yuggoth Cultures, and whatever other Moore they have as add ons. This is goofy shit they're up to.

This doesn't seem to be THE most incompetent kickstarter, but a bit screwy.
>>
>>91919169

I'm talking about Yuggoth Creatures mailed out with my Providence 129 dollar set. Please, post it if I'm missing something. Clearly I've missed a few things. I only saw this Kickstarted and pledged about a week back.

The fucking site sends me updates for new and improved water bottle kickstarters, but not the game and comic ones I actually put money in for.

>>91919178

This collection is different printings? Eh... if it all looks the same and uniform in the slip case I won't care. I'm interested because I'm just really starting to read Lovecraft and I'm interested in reading Moore's little sequel set of comics all together. And I'm a sucker for slipcase sets.

Plus I HATE how Avatar handles a million and one covers for every issue. The occasional alt cover is fine. 50/50 per issue is fine. But they have so many exclusives it's actually a turn off for me as a collector.
>>
>>91919288
>This collection is different printings?
Yeah, the neonomicon is just a new printing reusing the cover they had when they gave their comics when they did a line of "EC Comics" variants.
And it's entirely out of tone with the rest of the covers.

And Providence Act 1 is a Third edition and, again hits my OCD center, it ruins the sequence that the three Providence HCs make. Just seems like a lame move since the originals seem to still be in stock in their online store.
>>
Breaking news, Avatar has dropped the final stretch goal from 115k to 114k.
Meaning that only 3.2k is needed to get there.
>>
>>91919355

That Neonomicon thing would cheese me off too.

As for the 1st vs 3rd printing, does it ruin anything other than the indicia page? Alt cover, alt foreword or anything?

Coincidentally because of the Moore connection, I hate any Watchmen trade that puts anything other than the zoom on the smiley button on the cover. That's the first panel of the work! The idea is each cover is the first shot in a zoom out. Watchmen does something only a comic can really do. You're reading it the moment you're looking at the cover.
>>
>>91919391

I've been suspecting they know they're being a bit prickish with it and will just throw it in at the last minute. They're trying to squeeze an already ungodly profitable stone here and have to know it.
>>
File: THE END IS NIGH.png (68KB, 907x825px) Image search: [Google]
THE END IS NIGH.png
68KB, 907x825px
>>91919391
holy shit
>>
>>91919441
No, it doesn't. I just like the thought put into the trio of covers. Everything else should stay the same.

I actually feel worse for the people who shelled out for the 600 dollar tier, because they get a second edition, which has the cover be the portrait variant for Wilbur Whately. Which is fucktons worse.

>>91919478
>>91919498
The entire fund is like at 1,500% or so here.
I can see them just giving in at the end.
>>
>>91919557
>>91919478

doubt it. it's too much backpedalling
however, do we deserve it? absolutely.
the stretchgoals were ill-conceived from the start
>>
>>91919589
>stretch goal one
content
>stretch goal two
swag
>stretch goal three
content

And the way it goes from 10k increase (at time they were stated), 10k increase, 15k increase is ridiculous.
If they'd kept it consistent we'd be done already.
>>
File: PSST HEY KIDS.png (254KB, 566x533px) Image search: [Google]
PSST HEY KIDS.png
254KB, 566x533px
>>91919657
guess the success of the campaign caught them totally off guard.

they probably didn't have any stretch goals planned at all. Otherwise they wouldn't have set them starting at 1000% funding. It's just not reasonable.

I think they put them there last minute because they felt they were in debt or something. You ask me, I think the book is already gonna be packed with art and character designs... For these last extra sketches they're throwing in, they probably had to scrape the bottom of every drawer in Burrow's house in search of any used napkin he might have drawn half a tentacle on.
>>
>>91919773
I don't think that's how it went down.
In the trailer they mention the book will feature all the cover art from Courtyard, Neonomicon, and Providence.

And then they mention in the stretch goals image that the book is 144 pages. This series has had a huge amount of covers. Each issue of Providence had around 7 each, and that's not counting the extra pages the wrap around variants had.
>>
>>91919478
>They're trying to squeeze an already ungodly profitable stone here and have to know it.

some anons were discussing the other day that they're using this kickstarter to fund another one with fast cash. Apparently these campaigns are Avatar Press's death rattles
>>
>>91920034

What? A previous Kickstarter campaign?
>>
>>91920063
no. an upcoming one.
>>
>>91920034
Yeah, the comments have them heavily hinting that this one will likely be used to fund a new Crossed.

>>91920063
They've had two before this one.
Each to fund a series. In fact, 2/3 series they have going on right now.
>>
File: 1471978575021.jpg (111KB, 435x676px) Image search: [Google]
1471978575021.jpg
111KB, 435x676px
>>91919355
>>91919441

>covers

I really don't get what you guys are on about with the covers being 1st, 3rd or 1000th printing.
The one they went with for Neonomicon is violently different but it's a separate volume and story so I'm fine with it, but the triptych for Providence looks perfectly fine in the slipcase, doesn't it?
Is it just nervous anxiety for knowing deep inside that one of the covers' printings doesn't correspond to the other two?
In that case I can respect your ocd weirdness, but it doesn't really matter for me since this will be the first and only physical edition of this books I'm getting
>>
>>91920350
>but the triptych for Providence looks perfectly fine in the slipcase, doesn't it?

It's a different cover for Act 1 though.
A side profile of Robert in Salem.
>>
File: isdiswatutalkinbout.jpg (226KB, 609x909px) Image search: [Google]
isdiswatutalkinbout.jpg
226KB, 609x909px
>>91920390
Soooooooooooo you wanted this one?
>>
>>91920479
It only makes sense with the other ones.
>>
File: triptych.png (489KB, 648x336px) Image search: [Google]
triptych.png
489KB, 648x336px
>>>>91920515
Not really. The one they selected looks better when placed next to the others.
Regarding composition, Robert progressively turning towards the reader makes a great effect. Also, there would be a great unbalance between act 1, which is crowded and very explicit with the mythos, and act 2 and 3, that are way more subtle and with barely any people occupying the foreground.
Chromatically, the original cover for act one would be too similar to Act 2,while with the new cover you get a nice visual equilibrium of Dark-Light-Dark.

I'd take the new one everyday. It rhymes.
>>
>>91920809
>Robert progressively turning towards the reader makes a great effect
>his body is 100% facing the reader in the latter two
>>
File: 1472350339611.jpg (6KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1472350339611.jpg
6KB, 250x250px
>>91920848
not the head though
>>
>>91920809
I do enjoy the the new cover. I agree that the triptych really comes together with it. All told, I'm glad I contributed and I'm really looking forward to it.
>>
File: Watchmen french covers2.png (2MB, 1336x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen french covers2.png
2MB, 1336x1200px
>>91919441
>Button Cover

For me it will always be the french covers that stands for Watchmen.
>>
>>91922400
So do they lump them into 6 albums of 2 issues each in the French edition of the series?
>>
I have the money and I've been enjoying the cbr's but my tourist visit to Berlin takes precedence. I'd say an essay is due comparing From Hell and Providence and the entirety of Alan Moore's approach to deconstruction. This is perhaps the best comic I've ever read because it feels more as an essay. I also find it funny how Moore said he read tons of criticism aimed at Lovecraft for 6 months. What is there to read? Only good theoretical framework on HPL is Houllebecq's essay and you can read that in a day. Perhaps he read his letters?

Another question I have is how much is Moore's Roman cult-snake in danger of being replaced by some Mythos reinterpretation of deity.
>>
>>91922813
I think he read a bunch of Joshi's stuff among other things
>>
>>91922871
Joshi is pretty worthless other as a crash course in HPL's life and times which is okay. What I want to say, Joshi is a normie and has nothing to say other than collect HPL data.
>>
>>91922909
The life and times are a huge part of this series.
>>
How come Courtyard and Neonomicon are fish hentai level works of generic prose and Providence is something else entirely?
>>
I wonder if Moore read Ligotti. I see he has low opinion on Houllebecq's essay, claiming he takes HPL's misanthropy out of context and basically projects his own worldview unto Lovecraft.
>>
>>91922400

Yeah but... like I said this misses the point of the button cover.

These are nice though. Are they in that Gibbons Watching the Watchmen artbook? They absolutely should be.
>>
>>91923038
Moore said his view of HPL became more nuanced as he learned more about him as a person.
>>
So is there any recommended reading before Moore's Lovecraft work? Obviously Lovecraft himself.

But anything else? I've heard Block and Smith were contemporaries who had some similar things going on. Howards was a friend but in a different wheelhouse.
>>
>>91923341

So he went from writing Lovecraft to make fun of Lovecraft to writing it to show off how weird the man was?
>>
>>91923332
I have a "Deluxe Edition" of the series that has some linework for those covers, but the only one shown in full color is the Comedian one. The rest, sans Rorschach are crowded onto one page. Kind of strange actually. I kind of assumed it was just art but now I'm irritated that they are covers presented that way.
>>
>>91923413
I guess? He always says he was really angry when he wrote Neonomicon and only did it to pay his taxes.
>>
>>91923389
Read Machen's The Great God Pan, Chamber's The King in Yellow, and Blackwood's The Willows.
>>
>>91923438

I just checked the artbook. Two are shown full sized. Four are on one page. It's a large book so they are bigger than if they were crammed in on a normal comic page, but as with your deluxe, it's stupid to have crammed them in.

The fuck they had a whole book to play with and a large part of it are Gibbons thumbnail sketches.
>>
>>91923389
There are two contemporary writers doing Lovecraft's prose, one is lesser (Laird Barron), one is greater - Thomas Ligotti. The other anon already gave you precedessors, you can read these after you've read Loveraft's stories. And of course there is House on the Borderland, Lord Dunsany and Arthur Gordon Pym.
>>
All-in-one Providence volume when?
>>
>>91922909
>Joshi is pretty worthless

Hey he edited my Lovecraft books
>>
>>91923682
They've said if they do one, it'll probably be for the second half of 2018.

But after how much this has brought in, you can pretty much expect it.
>>
>>91923657
Arthur Gordon Pym is such a weird story. I read somewhere that Poe wrote it screw with the fans of travelogue fiction that was popular at the time.
>>
>>91923542

Are these things alluded to or referenced in Moore's work, or simply curiosities to read in the evolution of horror until we got Lovecraft?

I'm up for either, I just want to know what's up.

Lovecraft era stuff is sort of what interests me. Because while it never became incredibly complex or thought out, it was perhaps the first instance of a purposefully shared literary universe. The bread and butter of /co/. Bloch, Howards, Smith, and I don't know who else all had fiction that was part of Lovecraft and which Lovecraft referenced.
>>
>>91919498
Avatar must be in a really bad spot huh.
>>
>>91924038

They seem to rely on crass adult books with niche audiences and endless covers. I think the more alt covers a book has, the worst spot the company is in. Especially ones that use false exclusivity to generate interest.
>>
>>91923970
The Great God Pan is a monster Nativity story that inspired the Dunwich Horror and therefore the conclusion of Providence in a roundabout way. The King in Yellow, as a book about a cursed story that inspired Lovecraft, is paralleled with Sous La Monde, the book that Blake sets out to research before deep diving into the Mythos. The Willows is a story about a really weird environment that I see echoes of in the scenes with the Blasted Heath in the wake of the Colour out of Space. The last is more of a thematic connection though.
>>
>>91924321
If you're reading Machen do yourself a favour and read "The White People" too. It's where Aklo comes from but beyond that it's just a really great horror story. It's got a lot in common with a Lovecraft story but the style and perspective are different and I think from the protagonist's PoV way creepier.
>>
>>91924321
>>91924812

Thanks friends. All three added to the ol' cart on Amazon.

Just waiting for that last Clark Ashton Smith collection in paperback and I'll have all of Howard*, Lovecraft, Smith, Lieber, a Bloch collection, and the three you guys recommended.

I need to grab that thick ass Poe collection from B&N some time.

Well, not all of Howard, but all of those complete collections that Del Rey put out. They seem to cover all his major pulp characters and some others.
>>
The Courtyard is included in this Neonomicon collection. Is the Companion or anything else worth grabbing?
>>
>>91925181
The companion is pretty much just the original prose short story and an interview, I think?
It's not worth getting.
>>
>>91925227

So Yuggoth Cultures and Fashion Beast are the only real Moore works Avatar has on offer that aren't in this slipcase set?
>>
>>91925267
Yeah.

Yuggoth Cultures is worth getting if you want his Lovecraft work with Jacen Burrows to be complete. It has a short 6 page story about Lovecraft's dad that they did together.
>>
>>91925374

Is that the only Lovecraft connection? I mean... it's named Yuggoth.

or the only one to feature Burrows on art.
>>
>>91925399
A lot of them are just random sci-fi or noir stories.
There's one about anthropomorphic dinosaurs during the start of the ice age. Shit like that.

The Moore/Burrows one is really the only one that has actual connection to the other works they did.
>>
>>91925374

I don't even like hardcovers but this Kickstarter is only in hardcover so fuck now I want those two in hardcover also.
>>
>>91925447

Ah. Thanks. So it's not part of their little canon, but hey, what the hell right?
>>
File: Watchmen.jpg (77KB, 400x591px) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen.jpg
77KB, 400x591px
>>91922748
Yes, they did. It even was in the big magazin format.

>>91923438
>>91923341
>>91923543
They were some exclusive covers by Gibbons for the french Carlsen Comics. But dont know if the panels were taken and recolored or redrawn.
>>
1.6k and 3 hours left.

Will it make it?
>>
>>91926455

Kickstarters tend to have a spike in the last hours. So probably. Either way, I don't care too much about these pages. I'm just cheesed they never offered Moore's previous Avatar work as add ons.
>>
Thanks to this the only major Moore works I need are From Hell, Lost Girls, and his Captain Britain work. Maaybe Supreme. Probably never bothering with his 2000AD or other Imageverse stuff.

So. Huh. I don't know how that happened. I'm not a major fan. Or am I?
>>
>>91926728
>Probably never bothering with his 2000AD
>>
>>91926455
god i really hope so
>>
>>91926825

It's all stuff tied into other 2000AD stories, isn't it? I have Halo Jones. Still need to read it.
>>
>>91926728
If you decide to collect Supreme, try for the single issues.

The two TPBs that collect the series fall apart quickly, and I doubt the decades have done the glued binding any good.
>>
>>91927225

I haven't looked at prices, but I bet the issues cost something now.

His run is essentially a love letter to Superman, right? Do I need to know Image or just Supes?

Is this one that may get reprinted, or is it stuck in some stupid legal battle?
>>
>>91927299
>Do I need to know Image or just Supes?

Mainly just Supes.
There are a lot of Image Universe characters in the series, but they're all positioned into Justice League roles.

I don't think there's a legal battle, since 2 years ago they published a new mini from Ellis that used a lot of Moore's mythos, but I don't know if they'll ever reprint.
>>
>>91927354

Seems weird not to. Alan Moore does Superman seems like an easy sell. Slap it together into one trade and take peoples money.

Also I just checked MyComicShop. All issues seem very affordable. Thanks for kicking me to look. New project.
>>
File: Hope-Post.jpg (425KB, 900x1336px) Image search: [Google]
Hope-Post.jpg
425KB, 900x1336px
I mean, if we break past 113k, they HAVE to be nice and give us the stretchgoal, right?
It's only reasonable
>>
>>91927441
Yeah. I got everything (plus the Judgement Day mini) but the final arc in singles on eBay last year for 17 bucks.

Also, it has the coolest fucking Green Arrow.
>>
>>91927480
According to Kickstarter's own stats, the fund is right now at 1352% funded.

They should have given us all the stretch goals haha.
>>
>>91927493

Is it so very Superman that if you took the scripts and changed the names it would be Superman?
>>
>>91927180
No, he did a whole bunch of one shots. He only had a few long-term strips other than Halo Jones and they mostly aren't connected to anything else in 2000AD.
>>
>>91927538
Yes.

One of Moore's additions to the series was a Lana Lang, a Lois Lane, a Jimmy Olsen (although he envisioned his as being a 90's archetype intentionally), and most importantly - Darius Dax.
A brilliant criminal mastermind with bright red hair who's only goal is to kill Supreme in very petty ways.
>>
>>91927562

Oh shit. Names?
>>
>>91927597

If I had infinite money I would commission an artist to make it Superman just to fuck with Moore.
>>
>>91926728
Any news on the fourth volume of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Apparently it's happening sometime this year and wrapping up the series, but I haven't heard anything in a while.
>>
1.4k!
103 minutes left!
>>
>>91928529

I'm not a big expert on Moore. I didn't even know there was a fourth in the planning. I thought Century was it with Nemo being some side story stuff not regarded as part of the central narrative.
>>
1.2k and 80 minutes
>>
915 dollars to go and down to the last hour
>>
528 dollars and 30 minutes left
>>
We've reached the final goal with 114,019 and 22 minutes left to go!

We did it!
All covers, character designs, monster designs, and an Aklo Book Plate.
>>
>>91930827
Spoke too soon.
It's dropped 100 dollars.
113.9k right now

12 minutes left.
>>
>>91931093
Dropped again to 113,873
6 minutes to go
>>
>>91931093
>>91931220
I went ahead and pledged for the box, even though I also ordered the original Act 1 HC. I just know I'd regret it in the end if I didn't get the whole box.
>>
>>91931226
Totally understandable.
I was going to get the box and order the original Neonomicon hardcover, but just wasn't my speed.
The box is pretty, but I'd rather had singular trades.

Thanks though, we're back to 114k.
>>
>>91914800
Fucking missed it by 30 seconds jesus christ. Is there anywhere else I can get the slipcase set?
>>
Final Summary:
671 backers
$114,073

Orders should ship in October.
If you missed out and still want to slipcase set, check out Avatar's online store. IIRC they have it listed for preorder there.

>>91931406
See above. It's your best bet.
>>
>>91931406
I thought some were being set aside for the Avatar Comics store, but you'll probably have to wait quite a few months for the solicit.
>>
>>91931406
>>91931425

https://www.comcav.net/collections/providence-art-book-and-complete-slipcase-set/products/providence-complete-slipcase-set-5-books

Found it, thank you man
>>
>>91931481
They also still have the original Neonomicon HC and the original Act 1 HC.

That way you can use the slipcase set to house ALL first editions if you end up wanting to go that route.
>>
>>91931281
It was a not-quite-but-close last minute decision. I actually like the cover they have for the Neonomicon in the collection more than the original as well, but I really wanted it just for Providence.
>>
>>91932468
I think the new cover for Neonomicon is cool, but it's such an overt variant cover. They did the same EC Horror homage for Crossed that month too.

The original Neonomicon HC cover, while not great, is at least more in line with the rest. And hey, no judgment about the Providence.
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.