[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: atlantis.jpg (67KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
atlantis.jpg
67KB, 1024x768px
What went wrong?
>>
>>91898721
>thrown away and forgotten despite the fact the made an almost perfect lost civilization with it's own fictional language that could have been expanded on lore wise
Fuck, I hate the mouse for doing this.
>>
>>91898721
Being ahead of its time is probably the only thing you can say against the movie. It was great. The rest of the blame falls on Disney itself like >>91898847
said, but maybe them not running the franchise into the ground with sequels and cartoon tie-ins is a good thing?
>>
>>91898721
Came out right beside Shrek.
>>
>>91898847
>>91898889
it's not like it was a financial success
>>
File: 1489287264328.jpg (590KB, 800x791px) Image search: [Google]
1489287264328.jpg
590KB, 800x791px
>>91898721
Plebs happened
>>
>>91898721
>too short for its own good
>uninspired and obvious villain
>Mole
>cast doesn't get enough development

Did I miss anything?
>>
the better version was made years earlier.
>>
>>91898984
>ugly art style
Agree to all but this.
>>
>>91899005

People always seem to hate on Nadia, but honestly Jean was a little shit too at times. Either he nerded out over nothing, or there was tons of sleazy perv moments.
>>
>>91898721
Should have gotten Mignola to write it. Would have been a 1000x better.
>>
>>91898721
I love this movie, too, but it there are a couple down points.

>First half is legitimately interesting and exciting, second half isn't as fun and seems a bit rushed with the pacing.
>Has a Pocahontas/JC's Avatar plot.
>Terrible bad guy motivation.

Even when I was 9 years old, seeing this movie in theatres and listening to Rourke go on about killing the Atlanteans so he can be super rich, I was sitting there, thinking:

>Wait a second, isn't he, like, gonna be rich and famous, anyway? Why do they have to be dead?

Typing that just now, I realized that, even if Rourke and Helga did come back with the Heart of Atlantis and sell it, there would be tons of archaeologists and military powers trying to find Atlantis (assuming they get past the Leviathan), and they will find out that all the Atlanteans were recently murdered, if their bodies are preserved after the city floods in.
>>
>>91899005
Autists don't realize that both are just rip offs of Jules Verne fiction in general
>>
>>91899085
My nigga, I sometimes just watch until they actually reach Atlantis. I think if the king had let them stay a week instead of a day they could have paced it better. And just make Rourke actually work directly for the Russians or some other Axis power.
>>
Would have worked better as a series to find Atlantis, otherwise the movie itself should have been like another hour long because the journey to Atlantis felt way too short after all the build-up.
>>
>>91899122
>we're both based roughly on the same ideas

that's not a ripoff

>we literally copied our character designs from an 11 year old nipponese japanimation

that's ripoff.
>>
>>91899183
>Full 2h movie to get to Atlantis
>Cut after Kida welcomes them
>Sequel is them learning about Atlantis' people and Rourke being a dick.
>>
>>91899215
I see absolutely no similarities in character design between Nadia and Atlantis. And I swear if you say Brown tribal girl I'm going to just fucking ignore you because that's so fucking stupid and reaching.
>>
That is was cut from being in KH due the difficulties of trying to make the vehicles work on the PS2.

At least there's a slight chance of it being in III.
>>
>>91898721
Whenever a Disney movie thread comes up, I rely on this blog for unbiased criticism because /co/ is full of morons: https://unshavedmouse.com/2013/11/28/disney-reviews-with-the-unshaved-mouse-41-atlantis-the-lost-empire/

IMO, there were three huge issues.

1. It was the first Disney movie to attempt really reinvent what a Disney movie could be. We were stuck with simplistic plots, poor villains, a tribal princess, all the usual tropes because the Mouse was afraid to really break the mold. Not that it mattered in the end, it failed at the box office for basically no reason other than people being sheep.

2. It's too short. The characters needed way more development, and having them be various ethnic stereotypes complete with accents was just lazy and uninspired.

3. The worldbuilding could have been done better, but it was hampered by the need for this arbitrary villain plot. Wouldn't it have been so much better if instead of having magical people who lived thousands of years but had forgotten how to read, they had the Atlanteans study the occasionaly shipwreck and artifact from the surface or something, ANYTHING but what they did?

tl;dr It wasn't that terrible, but the Mouse smothered it in the crib for fear of messing up.
>>
>>91899367
Really? This makes me so mad, Kingdom Hearts was incredible back in the day.
>>
File: iWoBd2MJlVY.jpg (76KB, 661x495px) Image search: [Google]
iWoBd2MJlVY.jpg
76KB, 661x495px
>>91899302
Sure.
>>
>>91899181
Another Anon from /tv/ said it best when he mentioned showing the coolest submarine ever and having it destroyed less than 10 minutes later, like, I loved all of the expedition gear and everything, and most of it gets destroyed early on.

I wish the entire movie was about the characters trying to find Atlantis, then discovering the city at the end and having to deal with an entirely different villain other than Rourke. Like, maybe a corrupted Heart of Atlantis that keeps its citizens prisoner as punishment for the King trying to turn it into a magical nuke and it does spooky mumbo jumbo to try and kill off the MCs as they travel through labyrinths and decipher clues.
>>
File: 8GP9P3Muwjk.jpg (75KB, 521x718px) Image search: [Google]
8GP9P3Muwjk.jpg
75KB, 521x718px
>>91899500
Part 2
>>
File: tFT92mFVU6Y.jpg (70KB, 516x611px) Image search: [Google]
tFT92mFVU6Y.jpg
70KB, 516x611px
>>91899527
I-it's absolutely original
>>
>>91899500
>>91899527

Uh-oh boys. It looks like the 'Disney rips off Japan' brigade is out in force this evening.

>>91899502
Pretty good analysis, for a tripfag.
>>
>>91899005
>Nadia
>Better
Anno only made 2 good thing in his career, gunbuster and evangelion
>>
It wasn't a musical. Kids and moms liked musicals.
>>
>>91899500
>People studying around a bunch of books is a rip off

>>91899527
This is reaching.
>>
File: 332454562.png (478KB, 710x348px) Image search: [Google]
332454562.png
478KB, 710x348px
I really liked it as a kid and appreciate it for the soundtrack and animation now, but even then I couldn't stop thinking it was just Stargate as an animated movie.

>Nerd protagonist who studies ancient languages
>has a crazy theory and isn't taken seriously by his peers
>Is approached by secret military service to go on a journey
>Doesn't fit in with military people at first, is bullied, then later accepted due to his skills as translater
>Discovers ancient civilization who possesses futuristic technology and has forgotten their own language
>Befriends princess and learns about this civilization and their language
>Military squad leader is obvious villain
>Tries to blow up something to disrupt civilization and is stopped by protagonist and his friends who all have a change of heart
>He chooses to stay with princess and her people

Maybe it just that the plot and characters are cliche in general, but the similarities are jarring to me.
>>
>>91899563
The irony is that their precious weeb shit literally would not exist without Disney.
>>
>>91898847
The language thing is especially bitter for me. Fuck, I want a goddamn spinoff.
>>
>>91898721

Milo not accepting Rourke's hand was utter BS. He should have stayed merc and betray his waifu. Literally the first thing established about his character was that he wanted the exact same thing as Rourke (steal the Atlantean energy source), and his whole character development up to that point worked along this line.
>>
>>91899563
Nah, it just funny to see that some anons >>91899302 still believe that there are
>absolutely no similarities in character design between Nadia and Atlantis.
>>
>>91899684
I think that they tried way too hard to make Milo turn full on hero like some sort of babby Captain America. The whole action sequence just doesn't...work at the end of this, because Milo's whole character is that he's a fumbling nerd, not some grizzled adventurer. He should have outwitted Rourke, not outfought him.

I think he still shouldn't have gone along with Rourke, but he should have at least had some...conflict to it? I don't know, this movie's plot was garbage in the entire second act. If ever we needed a remake of a Disney movie, this is it. They're fixing the problems with their old movies by redoing them as live action, they should do an animated remake of this one too.
>>
>>91899684
Except that nothing suggests that Milo would be okay with the genocide of an ancient race.
>>
File: models.jpg (110KB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
models.jpg
110KB, 1920x816px
>>
>>91899802

Did this even come into question until Rourke's turn?
>>
>>91898721
Disney, no longer makes god-tier characters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8wePgXDIY&t=52s
>>
>>91899773
You pointed out physical similarities but no plot similarities.
>>
>>91898905
Not my fault. I saw it in the theater when it came out.
>>
>>91898721
It literally got Shrek'd.
>>
I love all the concept art Mike Mignola did for it.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.