[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Fixing" Steven Universe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (74KB, 800x832px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 800x832px
What episodes would you cut out from the show entirely to help better the show?
>>
File: can-we-fix-it.jpg (25KB, 391x366px) Image search: [Google]
can-we-fix-it.jpg
25KB, 391x366px
>>
>>91881084
All of them.
>>
>not so subtle thread for asking what episodes to skip so anon can just watch plot episodes
how about we cut the whole show
>>
>>91881218
Nah, I've watched the whole show.
>>
I'd have to go over a list with a synopsis for each episode, but Last One Out Of Beach City can definitely be cut.
>>
>>91881084
Episodes don't really need to be cut, they need to be replaced with better episodes. There's no reason to waste time with shit like Rocknaldo or Storm in the Room, those 11 minutes could be used in far better ways - like meaningful character development or plot progression. Not every episode needs to be super important, but even ones that aren't should still contain the CGs (more human-gem interaction would be cool) and show something about the characters, and not be boring as shit.
>>
>>91882025
You can't cut it though. Mystery Woman will be back, and it marks the start of Pearl trying to socialize more with humans.
>>
>>91881084
cut rocknaldo for sure
>>
File: Hope.png (48KB, 340x329px) Image search: [Google]
Hope.png
48KB, 340x329px
>>91881084
70% of them, not even joking, the filler is that bad. I just want to watch my show about a boy and his mother figures going up against a galactic empire goddamn it!
>>
>>91882220
>Mystery Woman

And opinion discarded, you could've easily had Pearl show interest in a preexisting character rather than making some more Rose-themed alterations to Zuke's WoW and inject her into the show.
>>
>>91882373
Well yeah, they could have done that, but they didn't. Doesn't change the fact that it is an important episode in the show's continuity.
>>
literally 3/4 of the show, except for season 1
>>
>>91882373
>Zuke's WoW
*Zuke's WoW character

>>91882421

Which is where >>91882188's point comes in, you can easily re-theme the episode and erase Zuke's self-insert from the show without causing any problems to the continuity of the show.
>>
>>91882528
I'm reserving my judgment until I see where they go with it. I've always thought that the gems needed to interact with humans more, so it could be a good thing.
>>
nearly every episode that involve background characters and no gem plot
>>
>>91881190
First post is best post.
>>
>>91881084

Its tough to say, because the show calls back to the bad episodes as much as the good.

Like, that island where Sadie traps Lars. The episode is skippable, but it introduces the island which becomes important again later.

I suspect there are only a handful of episodes that can truly be cut without consequence. And for all we know, future episodes will shorten that list even further.
>>
>>91881084
all townie episodes
>>
>>91881084
Probably Rocknoldo and Onion Gang.
Possibly Tiger Philanthropist, Pizza Dreams one, and the talent show one.
>>
Cut all episodes that are focused primarily on a townsperson. Connie, Steven, Greg, and the gems are the only interesting characters. All the other humans are garbage.

Except Onion. Onion can stay.
>>
>>91884071
Even Onion Gang? Debatably the worst episode in the show?
>>
File: 1470552564790.png (602KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
1470552564790.png
602KB, 1280x738px
All of them except the flashback and Greg episodes.
>>
>>91881084
The memebarn episodes and every townie episode after season two. That's really not the show's problem though, it needs better writing for all its arcs and characters.
>>
>>91884071
You'd have to change the details of a few dozen episodes in order to do that and NOT have the Earth eaten by the Cluster.
>>
>>91884139
Well I think this right here is what the debate is all about.

After season 1 finished with Jailbreak,
Should the show stay as a focus to the homeworld gem biz,
Or should it stay to its roots and be what it was (with space gem biz being background stuff mostly not the focus of the episode) like season 1?

Does the genie go back in the bottle or not?
>>
>>91884234
>earth gets eaten by the cluster
>The crystal gems, steven, connie, and greg are the only survivors, escaping on the Ruby ship

>show is now a space opera about getting revenge on Homeworld and recruiting organics and rebel gems from other planets

I would be very okay with this
>>
>>91881084
Theres no fixing it. It's been fucked since the beginning.
>>
>>91882188
Storm in the Room was meaningful character development for Steven.
Yes we all know he has these messed up feelings about his mom but throwing them up on screen is important.
>>
>>91881084
have Steven go off and spend time with Connie while Greg stays home and fucks all the Gems.
>>
>>91882431
>le season one was the best meme

Season one has a ton of meh episodes and most of the shows best episodes aren't even until the halfway point of season one.

Any problems the show has now were still present in season one, they're just more apparent
>>
>>91881084
We make them spices and seasonings instead.

Garlic

Pepper

Amchur

Lemon

Juniper
>>
The only one I'd definitely cut is Know Your Fusion. That's a garbage episode which the show would be better off losing.
>>
The one where CN shafts the show's ratings
>>
>>91881084

Fuck the filler and focus on the arcs. They're probably the only redeemable part of the series.

Also fuck the inconsistent animator stuff like god fucking damn.
>>
>>91888103
Better yet, keep the filler but make it good. For the comfy show SU tries to be, the 'filler' should be the best part. Winter Forecast, while it does expand a little on how future vision works, is pretty much filler, and it's a fantastic episode. Develop the townies and give them compelling stories, make Beach City feel like a rich, breathing world. The problem is they kept it strictly to Steven's perspective after season one, which killed any chance of properly exploring side characters. Lapis and Peridot have also suffered a lot from this.
>>
All of them that don't focus on the gems/connie.
>>
>>91881084
Any episode with singing or crying
>>
>>91888313
that's basically all of cartoon network gone right there
actually I think that's every cartoon currently being made
>>
File: 1493245909520.jpg (477KB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1493245909520.jpg
477KB, 2400x2400px
Make Steven less of a crybaby
>>
>>91888375
What is Gumball, what is Jack, what is StarVS
>>
File: ooohuhuhuh.jpg (16KB, 236x284px) Image search: [Google]
ooohuhuhuh.jpg
16KB, 236x284px
>>91881209
quality
>>
>>91882025
Bad Pearl best Pearl.
>>
>>91889537
Well, the 1 hour finale of Star vs definitely had singing and crying.
>>
My least favorite episodes were probably the wrestling ones. I think other Amethyst/Steven episodes covered the dynamics of their relationship better and more entertainingly.

Aside from that? Not much. It's been pretty strong overall.
>>
>>91888465
>Roiland
>Likeable
>>
>>91889537
Gumball has tons of songs you idiot, and more than a few episode are dedicated to musical numbers. How could you fuck up this badly m8?
>>
>>91888103
Fuck the arcs, if it weren't for them nobody would get deluded this show is interesting or good
>>
>>91888262
>The problem is they kept it strictly to Steven's perspective
This is the show's biggest weakness right here. Such a restriction can work at times but keeping with it all the time is like keeping shackles on as a fashion statement.
>>
>>91885964
I think you're just hungry
>>
>>91881190
fpbp
>>
File: IMG_0868.png (145KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0868.png
145KB, 400x300px
>>91881084
>cluster built up for episodes
>so long its hyped
>unstoppable force
>insanely powerful
>unreal potential for fantastic fight scene
>at the time was part of the community
>EVERYONE WANTED AN EPIC FIGHT SCENE
>THERE WASNT A SOUL WHO DIDNT WANT IT
>everyone i talk too ready to see kick ass gems FINALLY kick ass
>day finally comes
>episodes energy up beyond belief
>teasers dropped all around
>excited to finally see it develop
>show finally comes on
>steven walks up to cluster
>LETS BE ITS FRIEND
>end episode

Never dropped something so fast in my life. How can you fuck up something so badly so quickly?
>>
>>91890091
zoo wee mama
>>
>>91891688
You hyped yourself up way too much. I wasn't part of the community, so I was only a little letdown. Good call to drop it though, because it only got worse.
>>
>>91882025
but its one of the few fun episodes of season 4
>>
File: 1487879957673.png (191KB, 500x403px) Image search: [Google]
1487879957673.png
191KB, 500x403px
>>91881084
i know this is a bait thread but its SU and everybody is gonna bite.
the shows problems would be minimized if the townies had gems in it. zoltron isnt about steven predicting future, but about sapphire predicting the future and playing with steven.onion gang isnt about steven hanging out with onion, but about steven AND peridot hanging out with onion.rocknaldo isnt about ronaldo bitching against steven, its about ronaldo interacting with every gem.
really: townie+gems would make the filler tolerable. LOOBC was 100% filler and its a good episode because the focus was on pearl.
The gems should interact with humans more.its stupid that we got introduced to a new character and the gems interacted with him more than any townie.
>>
>>91881084
That one where Garnet gets obsessed with the video game

Nothing wrong with it but the context for Steven slapping off her glasses and revealing her 3rd eye in Mirror gen would be a lot more intresting
>>
>>91882373
all the existing humans were shit though, why would pearl want anything to do with any of them
>>
If they're going to be so insistent on townie episodes, at the very least make them not suck
Like I can't think of a single good townie episode since season 3 started
>>
File: Big pearl.jpg (479KB, 765x900px) Image search: [Google]
Big pearl.jpg
479KB, 765x900px
>>91881084
Erase Steven.

Make Pearl the main character and give her big boobos.
>>
>>91881084

You can't fix the show simply by removing episodes. You need to figure out if you want to do a) slice of life horseshit or b) broad story arcs and then you rewrite the entire goddamn show with that course in mind.

What you DON'T fucking do is try to cling desperately to both and end up halfassing everything.
>>
>>91881190
/thread
>>
>>91891743

I wasn't hyped at all, but I was still devastated because I knew then and there that SU would never have a satisfying payoff for anything.

Sadly, I was right. I know damn well that we're going to get to the series finale and Steven is going to walk up to White Diamond and hug her big toe or some stupid shit and her heart will melt and everyone will live HAPPILY EVER AFTER.

And it just kinda makes me sick.
>>
>>91892081
Yeah, there's no saving it by reduction.
>>
>>91881084
I wanna know how Connie didn't get in trouble after broking a kids arm and ditching the rest of the day

Did the school not care? Did they not tell her parents? Did the parents not care?

Could all of this been avoided if the writers hadn't made it so serious? Serious why have Connie break the kids arm if there isn't going any difference from her being surprised and punching a kid in the face?
>>
>>91892917
It was never told that she broke his arm. For all we know she might've just sprained it.
>>
>>91881084
About half the show is pointless, but every episode has a little bit of development that you shouldn't miss. It's quite stupid, really, because one bit of character or plot development will take several episodes that are played over several months. About 60% of any given episode is filler.
>>
>>91891688
>THERE WASNT A SOUL WHO DIDNT WANT IT
Me. The situation didn't call for it and it was obvious it wasn't building up to that because they emphasized that the Cluster forming at all means it's already too late.
>>
Any episode that focuses on beach city citizens and stupid sit like that Lars and Sadie ship wrecked with Steven one
>>
>>91891688

This is how I felt about Malachite. After Chille Tid I was sure that there would be more key episodes detailing Lapis' descent into madness as her bond with Jasper strengthens and the gems are forced to intervene. I waited patiently, only to have Peridot return, and for the entire show to be about her redemption. I at least expected Lapis to get the same treatment, but instead, her problems took back burner to PERIDOT THE STAR OF THE SHOW THE ADORABLE GREEN GEM and Malachite was resolved in a single episode, while Peridot got an entire story arc.
>>
>>91881084
Pearl doing ballet. I miss that so much
>>
Steven Universe would be one of the best cartoons ever if it had a better character drawing style (boobs allowed and more balanced heads/faces) and Steven had a different voice actor
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.