[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Anyone Give a Shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

Why or why not?
>>
File: VALIANTSUMMIT2017_POSTER_001.jpg (99KB, 575x442px) Image search: [Google]
VALIANTSUMMIT2017_POSTER_001.jpg
99KB, 575x442px
>>
>>91855475
I've completely fallen behind on them.
>>
>>91855475
>Does Anyone Give a Shit?

In this board? No. Most people here are characterfags. Can't get (You)'s when the books are mostly good and the characters don't have enough history and continuity to bitch about.

In real life? No. Most people IRL are also characterfags.
>>
>>91855842
Eh people bitch about Faith because "HURR MUH SJWS MADE A FAT GIRL BOOK" (of course the reactionary casuals on this board dont know she's been around) and that cringey as fuck Hillary thing.
>>
>>91855882
Faith's books have been legitimately bad, she sucks without the Renegades around her. But yeah, that's the only thing people bitch about with her, they don't even read her comics.
>>
>>91855882
I'm a huge Valiant fan and all of that hate that Faith gets is super annoying.

I understand why someone would not want to read a book about a chubby energetic geeky girl, but this isn't like what Marvel does. This was a character that's been this exact same way for a couple decades. They didn't change her to try to appeal to SJW's.

I like the book a lot, but yea that Hillary issue WAS cringey as fuck.
>>
stop shilling your terrible books
>>
>>91855475

LOL this thing is still around?
>>
I like Valiant but I am not like there current lineup. Also books I add from them keep getting axed pretty quickly and are just replaced by mini's. Generation Zero only last 9 issues for fuck sakes
>>
>>91855475
I miss the Shooter era
>>
>>91855475
I tried. Between 2013 to 2014 I started getting into Valiant. But their book have a recurring theme of a having such shit endings they sour the good stuff they had before. This repeated until I got to the crossover event The Valiant whose ending was so shitty I gave up reading Valiant.
>>
>>91855475
Its kind of average now. And some of the Big 2 antics they're pulling aren't helping.
>>
>>91856073
They're trying too hard to relive the early 90s attempt at becoming the next big publisher only to realize no matter what talent you have you're not going to get big.
>>
>>91856073
>And some of the Big 2 antics they're pulling aren't helping.

Which ones? Their events are short and sweet, the last one was 4 issues and a nonessential 4 issue mini. I love that format.
>>
>>91855492
Just wait til Faith is the lead of the Harbinger movie and Peter's her gay bestie.

And inline with the topic of the thread, I used to give until they shit the bed with too many titles, crappy events, terrible writers (Archer and Armstrong got fucked hard here) and focusing on movie/TV deals rather than their comics. Now they're doing a line wide reboot and they aren't even a fucking decade old (and I'm referring to this iteration).
>>
I bought 10 of their trades at C2E2, and I've really enjoyed what I've read so far.

Liked Manowar enough that I'm going to buy the issues of the new series whenever I can get to a comic shop (probably like a week from now..). Kind of sucks getting the bug to pay for books.
>>
>>91855997
>I miss the Shooter era
Don't worry, 20 years from now you'll be able to say this about DC
>>
>>91855965
>Asking a question
>shilling
Really?
>>
>>91856125
I mean stuff like stories that can't change the status quo so its wasting time, i.e. the Seven Blades of Master Darque Arc and Divinity 3. Death being meaningless, the recent Bloodshot arc. The movie synergy cash in with Harbinger and Harbinger Wars 2. This last one hurts the most because what was such a good book is now pure horseshit.

I don't actually have an issue with the events, outside of some of the writing. Much prefer the Valiant way of events.
>>
>>91855982
>Generation Zero only last 9 issues for fuck sakes
That's because that shit sucked. Their good ongoings usually last 25 issues (with a few exceptions).

>>91856073
>some of the Big 2 antics they're pulling aren't helping.
Please elaborate? They literally stay away from all of the major big 2 problems (that I can think of).

>>91856117
I actually think that all they want is to be seen as the third shared universe. It doesn't seem like they have any delusions about ever being as big as DC and Marvel.
>>
>>
>>91856237
Also, this isn't a Big 2 antic. But the writing overall is just weaker nowadays.
>>
>>91856237
>I mean stuff like stories that can't change the status quo so its wasting time
Well yea, sometimes, but they often do change the status quo pretty drastically in many of their books (like literally every arc of Harbinger, every event, X-O's Exodus, A&A's Sect Civil War, Shadowman's fourth volume, Wrath of the Eternal Warrior's second arc, I could go on and on).

>Divinity 3
How else do you expect them to resolve a universe-shifting event like that without completely screwing up every book? The first two Divinity's had major lasting effects, but the third was more of a simple epic superhero story.

>Death being meaningless
Literally in one instince.

> the recent Bloodshot arc
Well PRS was destroyed, which kind of effects a major chunk of the Valiant U.

>The movie synergy cash in with Harbinger and Harbinger Wars 2.
Do you really blame them for trying to cash in on their movies? How stupid would you have to be to NOT have a big Harbinger book on the stands when the movie comes out. Marvel goes overboard with it, but at the end of the day, it would be a really bad business decision to just ignore potential new fans.
>>
>>91856073
>>91856237
>>91856328
It should be said, while I'm down on the quality of current Valiant, I'm still pretty hyped for some upcoming stuff. Rapture looks fun, Eternal Warrior and Britannia should be great, and, Secret Weapons looks interesting
>>
Not a fan

Valiant seems like a comic company based around it's writers that aims for competency and nothing else.

Also if I'm looking for something other than the Big 2 a different interconnected universe is the last thing I want
>>
>>91855475
>Constant relaunches
>Awfully uneven output
>Largely forgetful books
>Storylines so bland you find yourself going "Oh wait, did I forget to read the previous issue?"
>>
>>91856575
>Constant relaunches
What does this even mean? They don't relaunch stuff near as much as Marvel, and there's only 6-8 comics coming out each month. Because of that, constant change is kind of a necessity.

>Awfully uneven output
They're consistently one of the highest rated publishers on ComicBookRoundup, and it's extremely rare when anything gets reviewed under a 7.5.
>>
>>91856818
>They're consistently one of the highest rated publishers on ComicBookRoundup

Well shit, pardon me.
>>
>>91856882
It's Metacritic for comics dude.
>>
>>91856471
>Well yea, sometimes, but they often do change the status quo pretty drastically in many of their books (like literally every arc of Harbinger, every event, X-O's Exodus, A&A's Sect Civil War, Shadowman's fourth volume, Wrath of the Eternal Warrior's second arc, I could go on and on).

I'm clearly just talking about current Valiant. Dunno why you're bringing up past shit.

>How else do you expect them to resolve a universe-shifting event like that without completely screwing up every book? The first two Divinity's had major lasting effects, but the third was more of a simple epic superhero story.

The entire story was pointless, though. It was just an excuse to do alternate reality one shots. The actual story of Stalinverse is pretty much a retread of Divinity 2, with the difference of Abraham having given up at the start and Kazmir thrown in.

>Literally in one instince.
Thats fair. But its a start, which is what I'm worried about.

>Well PRS was destroyed, which kind of effects a major chunk of the Valiant U.
And? I brought up Bloodshot for making death pointless, not the demise of PRS.

Not to mention, PRS being destroyed is another feint to keep status quo, just like Ninjak killing Darque, but Darque still actually being alive. PRS is destroyed, but the "real" PRS is still in operation. They literally replaced the shadowy evil organization with itself, only its now more shadowy and eviler.

>Do you really blame them for trying to cash in on their movies? How stupid would you have to be to NOT have a big Harbinger book on the stands when the movie comes out. Marvel goes overboard with it, but at the end of the day, it would be a really bad business decision to just ignore potential new fans.

Its not that they have a Harbinger book around the time of the movie. I get that. Its that they scrapped the Harbinger book that was supposed to come out to pump out this garbage thats just an ad for the synergistic Harbinger Wars 2.
>>
>>91856912
and? comic critics aren't critical of comics
>>
>>91856912
>It's Metacritic for comics dude.

So maybe a step upwards from being the Rotten Tomatoes for comics.
>>
>Big 2 books are stupid
>read our lame superheroes instead of like good graphic novels or anything interesting
>>
>>91856999
>I'm clearly just talking about current Valiant. Dunno why you're bringing up past shit.
Well I mentioned Exodus and Labyrinth and 4001AD, which all came out last year. Imperium mad major shifts in status quo every arc, Faith has a whole separate fully-realized life that she didn't have two years ago, the renegades are back as well as the introduction of Solomon, which hasn't really changed much yet, but promises to bring about some major changes in the next arc, Kindt's X-O 1, althoug it was expected, Savage is in an entirely different space than he was at the beginning of his mini. Idk man, I feel like I can find at least one semi-important aspect of any story that changes in every arc.

> It was just an excuse to do alternate reality one shots.
>Red Son was just an excuse to do alternate reality versions of DC heroes
Yea, so? It was an awesome idea, executed pretty well.

>Thats fair. But its a start, which is what I'm worried about.
Yea, me too.

>PRS is destroyed, but the "real" PRS is still in operation. They literally replaced the shadowy evil organization with itself, only its now more shadowy and eviler.
I see your point, but PRS/Omen is missing quite a few things now... No more ties to the sect, no more big money, no more Kozol, not even a competition to Harada anymore, not near as big of a reach.

> Its that they scrapped the Harbinger book that was supposed to come out to pump out this garbage
Scrapped Harbinger book? You think they picked Roberts over Dysart just so they could synergize with the movie? I highly doubt that. I really enjoyed Renegade, but it's obviously nowhere near the quality of the original. I wish Dysart was still on the book, but I honestly don't mind.

>>91857003
>>91857014
I know it's not the most concrete evidence in the world, but it does show that people are generally liking what Valiant's doing. You can't just ignore it while claiming that everything they do sucks.
>>
>>91857230

I'm not claiming all the comics suck. I'm pointing out things that make people not care that much about Valiant, such as that the storylines aren't that compelling. I literally couldn't remember half the time what had happened in the previous issue of X-O when I was reading it.
>>
>>91855475

Structurally, they do alot better than either of the big two. If marvel followed Valiant's approach to running a line ( focus on publishing a few good titles and plan beginnings middles and ends of runs rather than running 50 books at once) they would be a lot better off. I am behind, but I've bought more of them in the past year than I have either DC or Marvel.

I hope they continue to survive.
>>
File: valiant wallpaper.jpg (623KB, 1552x1200px) Image search: [Google]
valiant wallpaper.jpg
623KB, 1552x1200px
>>91856471
>but they often do change the status quo pretty drastically in many of their books

Sure, but you don't need to follow a doznes other books like you do with big two events. I follow the books I like and I've never gotten lost or felt like I need to pick up anything I didn't want to for anything to make sense.
>>
File: really-good-point.gif (494KB, 245x136px) Image search: [Google]
really-good-point.gif
494KB, 245x136px
>>91857737
>>91857693
>>
>>91857230
America #1 was generally liked to
>>
>>91857230
>Yea, so? It was an awesome idea, executed pretty well.
And if they had just put out the one shots as a "here's what was happening in the world Myshka created", I wouldn't have had a problem. Its not the one shots, its the main story. As I said, my problem is that the main story was just a retread of Divinity 2. Nothing of worth really happened, and things were left just as before. Might as well not have happened.

Its the fact Valiant published this filler story, and then Ninjak's filler story, along with Bloodshot's undoing of a somewhat major death and reshuffling of PRS, and the Harbinger cash grab thats bothering me. It happening all together feels like a pattern, and I don't like it. Little things here and there coming together.

Also, before this gets any further, I don't think this is a big problem. Not yet. Like I said in my initial post, it doesn't help. But its not a line wide problem or anything. The books are just kind of average right now, and this kind of stuff is just adding on to it. And although its minor shit right now, its leaving a sour taste in my mouth because I know where this kind of writing leads to in the end.

>Scrapped Harbinger book? You think they picked Roberts over Dysart just so they could synergize with the movie? I highly doubt that. I really enjoyed Renegade, but it's obviously nowhere near the quality of the original. I wish Dysart was still on the book, but I honestly don't mind.
We were supposed to get a Harbinger book in late 2015. It was announced as part of the Valiant 25th anniversary thing. We never got concrete details, but there was an interview or something where it was described as being focused on Peter and his return to the world. At one point it was set to release in September 2015. Then we heard nothing from Valiant about the book until last May where it was retooled to be a lead in to Harbinger Wars 2.
>>
>>91858253
>And if they had just put out the one shots as a "here's what was happening in the world Myshka created"
Just to clarify, the world that Myshka created in Divinity 2.
>>
>>91856144
Reboot might not be a bad idea, since the entire appeal of an alternative cape universe is that it doesn't have the weight of continuity like Marvel and DC.
>>
>>91858253
>there was an interview or something where it was described as being focused on Peter and his return to the world.

Oh Christ. Peter is so obnoxious as a protagonist.
>>
>>91855941
>and all of that hate that Faith gets is super annoying.

Like the book itself
>>
>>91858145
Touche.

>>91858253
>We were supposed to get a Harbinger book in late 2015. It was announced as part of the Valiant 25th anniversary thing. We never got concrete details
That was never confirmed. Every once in a while they'll "announce" that they're working on a book, but like you said, nothing concrete was announced for a 2015 Harbinger book. And btw 2017's 'Icons' is the 25th anniversary thing.

>>91858930
>Reboot might not be a bad idea
This guy's ( >>91856144 ) trippin. They're not rebooting, he's just confused because they do things differently than the big two. Valiant isn't about always having an ongoing every month for every major character. When the story's done for one book, they move on to the next book, and sometimes they'll come back to another property they tried before. "Line-wide reboot" is hardly the phrase I would use for Valiant relaunching a few of their major properties.
>>
>>91858953
You must hate fun.
>>
>>91859189

Fate girls name dropping pop culture isn't my idea of fun
>>
I'm goong to a comic-con soon /co/

Got tired of the new "direction " marvel has taken and dropped most of their titles. Do you suggest investing in some valiant comics?

I'm interested in bloodshot and eternal warrior, are they any good?
>>
>>91855475
I tired their stuff and it's mediocre or just straight up trash. Also, since it's been proven they hire viral marketers and pay off critics and shit I can't help but laugh at them.
>>
>>91860789
Well it seems like everyone on /co/ hates Valiant (or at least doesn't care), but I think that's just because /co/ only reads (and/or bitches) about Marvel and DC comics and therefore are pretty burned out on the idea of another superhero shared universe.

The rest of the internet thinks Valiant's pretty great though. I've read everything, and in my opinion, most of it is solid as fuck. They very rarely make bad books.

You have two options for Bloodshot. The 2012 series (by Duane Swiercynski and Manuel Garcia) starts off great, and is more of a no-holds barred, over-the-top action comic. The first two volumes are pretty great, but it falters after that. Bloodshot Reborn (by Jeff Lemire and a slew of A+ artists) is a more introspective take on the character, plus all of the action from the previous series. I highly recommend Bloodshot Reborn. The Valiant is an event that is essentially a prelude and a perfect jumping on point.
Eternal Warrior really only has one good series. The first one by Greg Pak didn't go anywhere and didn't understand the character fully either. Venditti's Wrath of the Eternal Warrior is fantastic though, and like Bloodshot Reborn, launches off of another event: Book of Death.
>>
>>91860810
>pay off critics
>viral marketers
>proven
topkek
>>
>>91860888
Thanks anon

I also heard that valiant tries to keep sjw pandering to a minimum, is that true? Or should I expect some politics shoved here as well?

I'm not american, therefore such things kinda turn off my enjoyment of the reasing.
>>
>>91861010
Faith is definitely targeted at that female, SJW audience, but I wouldn't call it pandering. As I said earlier in the thread, Faith has always been the same bubbly, geeky character since the 90's. Valiant capitalized on the bitches, but didn't pander.
The only other instance of SJW tendencies was the extra story in Faith #5 starring Hillary Clinton. It was stupid, but didn't go overboard with some liberal PC message.

Other than that, absolutely nothing to worry about. They consciously try to avoid politics and the like.
>>
>>91861127
Thanks again anon

A ( mostly) politics free publication? How are they not the #1 on the US?
>>
>>91861248
Because nobody gives a shit about superheroes that aren't from Marvel or DC. X-O Manowar #1 was the 12th highest selling comic of March though, so I guess that's something.

I know I sound like a shill, but I fucking love Valiant, and I love helping other people get into it.
>>
File: 799831.jpg (93KB, 600x926px) Image search: [Google]
799831.jpg
93KB, 600x926px
>>91855882
>>91855927
I find nu-Valiant's characterization of Faith to be honestly very insulting to how she was in the original comic. Yeah, I get that times have changed, but you don't need to make her an oversexed five year old jacked up on sugar

>>91857693
Yeah, they do fuck up a lot less often and seem to have a really good variety of books that can cater to just about anyone
>>
>>91861311
>X-O Manowar #1 was the 12th highest selling comic of March though, so I guess that's something.

That's most likely just a typical #1 bump combined with Marvel's poor performance numbers.
>>
>>91861551
>That's most likely just a typical #1 bump
Of fucking course it is, but regardless, it's still the highest charted comic Valiant's ever published. Even if it is just a #1, it outsold fucking Darth Maul, Detective Comics, and Superman. I'd say that's pretty impressive of an independent publisher.

>combined with Marvel's poor performance numbers.
Actually if it wasn't for some major shitty Marvel books ($10 Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Fist #1, X-Men Prime) in March, X-O would've been much higher.
>>
>>91861546
>oversexed five year old jacked up on sugar
>oversexed
Have you even read Harbinger of Faith? She's had two boyfriends and one pg sex scene. Is that seriously you're definition of "oversexed?"
>>
>>91861719
>multiple partners
>fucked before marriage
HARLOT
>>
>>91861779
Also, fairly certain her and Archer haven't even fucked yet.
>>
>>91861719
She talks about 50 Shades Of Grey getting her hot the first time she meets Kris

I might be sexually repressed, but I know "oversexed" when I see it
>>
How was the first Britania volume?

It didn't have great reviews on Amazon, but I was still thinking about picking up volume 1 today
>>
>>91855475
ive read everything they have published except for A&A and Faith which i dropped. they are pretty great. harbinger/imperium and archer & Armstrong are amongst the best capes of this decade
>>
>>91855927
faith #0 by dysart was great desu
>>
>>91862487
I like Faith, but besides that agreed. Harbinger and Archer & Armstrong are fantastic.

The only books I've dropped are Generation Zero, Unity (after the 5th volume), and A+A. Dear god, A+A was dogshit.
>>
>>91855475
I only liked valiant when they were making Turok comics.
>>
>>91862469
When rumors of Britania first circulated on the valiantfan forums, everyone was naturally under the impression that it would take place in a society that had evolved so much that they decided to regress back to Victorian times

So basically a steam punk version of Magnus: Robot Fighter that takes place in one of those other areas tucked away inside New Japan

Honestly, I was utterly tickled pink by the idea that I might try and write my own version
>>
>>91855475
X-O Manowar is one of my favorite books.

If the worst thing you put out is faith, youre already better than most of the big 2's books
>>
>>91855475
I liked Rai and Divinity, hated pretty much everything else.
Might check the new X-O when a trade comes out
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.