[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paranorman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 21

File: paranorman-017.jpg (1005KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
paranorman-017.jpg
1005KB, 1920x1200px
I know I'm extremely late to the party but I just watched it, tell me if I'm missing something here
>villagers condemn girl because they're affraid that she's a witch who could put their village in danger
>turns out the girl is a witch and she curses the entire village for centuries after that
>somehow, the villagers were wrong for being affraid that she was witch who could put their village in danger
I mean, I know what they mean, and I understand the intended logic (she only cursed them because they killed her) but it still seems like a botched way to tell your message.

Pretty good movie overall though, loved some of the character designs.
>>
>>91823934
Her only act of witchcraft was talking to the dead, which as we saw with Norman, can't be helped. It can't be turned off.

Plus, it seemed like the witch powers only come after death, like with Norman's uncle. For centuries, she was just flailing around, trying to understand what happened to her.
>>
>>91824113
There were neither conservatives nor liberals at that time.
>>
>>91824126
>Plus, it seemed like the witch powers only come after death
She literally curses them as they condemn her, before she dies.
>>
>>91825918
There are always conservatives and liberals, just not republicans and democrats

see: the Protestant Reformation
>>
I think it was just symbolic. How else did they manage to hang her from the tree?
>>
>>91825985
democrats aren't liberal lol
>>
>>91823934
silent hill shit
she gets powers after death out of pure anger and hate
>>
>>91826145
Except we know for a fact that she did have powers before dying. Even if the scene of her cursing the villagers before dying is supposed to be symbolic like >>91826050 says, she still definitely had listening to the dead powers when alive.
>>
>>91823934
>the villagers were wrong for being afraid that she was witch who could put their village in danger
I mean, this is acknowledged in the movie by Norman, he says people do horrible things to people they dont understand or are scared of, hell even the adults themselves (as zombies) admit they were scared as hell, in the flashback you saw them in they looked angry and violent.

Norman saw a group of scared adults who made a horrible mistake, Aggie saw a group of angry adults who wanted her dead.

She had powers, but all she did was talk to ghosts and supposedly 'play with fire', whatever that possibly meant, she wasnt a mean or malicious little girl, she was a child taken away from her mother, and a group of adults condemned her to death, whatever power she had was ruled by her own fear and anger in that moment, and being a child in such a situation yeah her emotions are going to probably go over the top.

The entire situation is a pretty notable gray area for them to tackle, nobody was really in the right.
>>
File: SenatorKelly.jpg (73KB, 442x426px) Image search: [Google]
SenatorKelly.jpg
73KB, 442x426px
>>91826736
Again, I don't think that computes very well.
You can't really make their fear look irrational when they were basically right.
It's not "they misunderstood gay people for people who want to rape their butts" it's "they misunderstood a little girl with the magical power to cause ruin to their village for someone with the magical power to cause ruin to their village".

I'm not saying it's fair what happened to the kid, at all, I'm just saying it's a bit tough to condemn the villagers for literally that 1 time when someone who was condemned for witchcraft was actually pretty much a witch. Yes, they mishandled it (out of ignorance), but their fear was proven to be pretty damn rational.

Also I feel like we're talking about X-Men now.
>>
adsf
>>
File: 1490220944733.jpg (210KB, 600x764px) Image search: [Google]
1490220944733.jpg
210KB, 600x764px
>>91824126
I heard the talking to ghost thing was really all about not being able to stop being gay. Not shitposting here.
>Co-director Chris Butler said that the character was explicitly connected with the film's message: "If we're saying to anyone that watches this movie don't judge other people, then we've got to have the strength of our convictions.
>>
>>91823934
She only becomes dangerous because they get suspicious and accusatory and try to kill her.

The central message of the film is that people fear what they don't understand, and that bigotry more often comes from that place than hatred.
>>
>>91828585
No shit. The movie goes to pretty painful lengths to make those parallels.
>>
I came in this thread looking for THICC blonde teenager Courtney Babcock

where is she
>>
>>91828846
That's not thick, she just has a gigantic ass.

She is, as one anon delightfully put it, an obesity centaur.
>>
>>91828619
So fear and prejudice creates demons?
>>
>>91828904
>that's not thick, she just has a gigantic ass

you're right, she isn't thick, she's THICC
>>
>>91826988
You're upset that they were technically right when the film expressly shows that they were blatantly wrong and punished severely for their mistake. Your critique is inherently flawed and built purely upon your emotional reaction to their curse. Get over yourself the next time you want to critically analyze something.
>>
File: aerobics video on pause.gif (521KB, 500x205px) Image search: [Google]
aerobics video on pause.gif
521KB, 500x205px
>>91828846
Will you settle for the aerobics video gag instead?
>>
>>91829219
>You're upset that they were technically right when the film expressly shows that they were blatantly wrong and punished severely for their mistake.
Exactly. It's stupid that they were technically right, it muddles the message.
>built purely upon your emotional reaction to their curse
Nice analysis Mr. Armchair psychologist. How the fuck did you get to that conclusion aside from your emotional reaction to my point?
It's just something that bugged me from a "how to get your point across" standpoint, I have no issue with the villagers being wrong in concept, except they technically weren't wrong. They did the wrong thing, but not because they were wrong.
>Get over yourself
No u.
>>
>>91828984
Yeah.
>>
>>91829409
Stop being retarded
>>
>>91823934
I was part of a now defunct forum where a regular was working on the film. Of course because of NDA he couldn't say what the film was. The NDA was lifted and he immediately let us all know it was Paranorman. Pretty rad since this was technically before the film was announced.

We had a rad little forum. The Frontman of the Dead Milkmen even posted there as well as Louis CK.
>>
>>91829343
EXTRA THICC
>>
>>91829343
This movie sure did like asses.
>>
>>91830069
I got the point the film is making just fine, I'm still allowed to say that this was something that seemed not as well thought out.
Fuck off.
>>
>>91823934

The townsfolk punished her for being a danger to the living, but her curse was only applicable to them in dead, as far as I can tell. I guess you can make a case against necromancy, but the troubles were from their own freakout rather than any direct damage caused by the dead.
>>
File: 1491954911555.png (173KB, 350x850px) Image search: [Google]
1491954911555.png
173KB, 350x850px
Is Norman for hug or fug? Which one does his sister apply to him?
>>
>>91823934

They murdered a little girl because they saw her harmlessly "talking to ghosts," keep in mind that as with Norman they probably had no indication it was even true and in real life we're talking about adults killing a child because they had some imaginary friends.

Also that in real life real little kids who were clearly not witches were imprisoned or even executed during the hundreds of years the Witch Trials took place. One imprisoned was 4-year-old Dorcas Good in Salem. In Europe, I remember reading about how they needed to get special weights to hang real little boys and little girls to death (toddlers and young children were too light to kill that way easily otherwise) because they used their imaginations or did usual kid stuff.

http://people.ucls.uchicago.edu/~snekros/New%20World%20News/New_World_News/Guilty_Before_Trial.html

As pointed out while in this case Aggie had real powers, ironically they only even became anything but harmless because she was horribly killed. Aggie and Norman's powers aren't something they can help and are benign and even helpful otherwise.
>>
>>91823934
I'm only hear to say that I don't watch this because of gay shit.
>>
File: norman x aggie.jpg (495KB, 495x769px) Image search: [Google]
norman x aggie.jpg
495KB, 495x769px
>>91823934

Post Norman X Aggie.
>>
>>91832743
That just makes you a big faggot.

It was literally just a 5 second scene at the end of the movie, and it was hilarious seeing Courtney's face to the reveal.
>>
>>91832779
>>
>>91832779
>>91832796
but that's like incest, dude
>>
File: norgatha.jpg (219KB, 700x437px) Image search: [Google]
norgatha.jpg
219KB, 700x437px
>>91832796
>>
File: norgatha 2.jpg (86KB, 500x536px) Image search: [Google]
norgatha 2.jpg
86KB, 500x536px
>>91832823
>>91832820
>your great-great-great-great-Xwhatever aunt
>who's totally dead anyway so no inbreeding would even be possible

You're probably at least as related to everyone in your home state/region, man.
>>
File: ghost girlfriend.jpg (21KB, 351x350px) Image search: [Google]
ghost girlfriend.jpg
21KB, 351x350px
>>
File: hug_by_zakeno-d5na6f2.gif (2MB, 410x362px) Image search: [Google]
hug_by_zakeno-d5na6f2.gif
2MB, 410x362px
>>91832854
>>
File: miss_me__by_zakeno-d5fb099.jpg (426KB, 632x664px) Image search: [Google]
miss_me__by_zakeno-d5fb099.jpg
426KB, 632x664px
>>91832863
>>
File: tumblr_mdpoqfCzJ91qhmfh4o1_1280.jpg (843KB, 1255x1846px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mdpoqfCzJ91qhmfh4o1_1280.jpg
843KB, 1255x1846px
>>
>>91832875
>>
File: hi__by_zakeno-d5r9ev3.jpg (179KB, 394x582px) Image search: [Google]
hi__by_zakeno-d5r9ev3.jpg
179KB, 394x582px
>>91832884
>>
I like Paranorman.
>>
>>91832897
>>
File: Angry_Aggie.gif (853KB, 500x209px) Image search: [Google]
Angry_Aggie.gif
853KB, 500x209px
Aggie is Best Ghost Girl.
>>
>>91826988
They weren't "basically" right. Having witchy powers doesn't make you evil or a threat, pushing someone to their limits does. They were killing her off just because she could talk to the dead, not because she was actually doing anything wrong.

It's like if I give you a dog and you look at it and go, "That thing has teeth and claws, this can't lead to anything but disaster!". Just because you started beating the dog to death and it fought you back in retaliation doesn't make you "basically right".
>>
>>91826988
The whole point of the movie is that they were sympathetic, the movie had plenty of sympathy for them, but it's pretty hard to defend what they did anyway, I think. Any person could commit a dangerous crime, nothing she had done to that point was dangerous.

I guess you could say "being able to talk to ghosts could make somebody dangerous somehow" (how though? Ghosts can't interact with humans generally, so how could it even be dangerous) but even Minority Reporting it you're better off executing unusually strong young boys preemptively, aren't you? They could use their arms to hit and kill people so better kill them, right? And it's much easier to defend how that could be dangerous.
>>
File: Colorolderaggie.jpg (914KB, 1285x2600px) Image search: [Google]
Colorolderaggie.jpg
914KB, 1285x2600px
>>
I love the final scenes in this movie. Agatha's lashing out against Norman confronting her gives me shivers
>>
>>91832644
The Salem Witch trials was about a bitch and an asshole trying get land. It was born out of greed, not fear.
>>
>>91832939
As I said repeatedly it wasn't fair to the girl. but they were right about her potential to be a threat.

>>91833310
Yes, because a kid who can punch a bit harder is the same as a witch who can curse generations of people.

I'm not claiming what they did was right, I'm claiming the reason they did it was correct.
>>
>>91834013
>as a witch who can curse generations of people.

They didn't have the slightest idea that she could do that though, or do anything but talk to spirits. And arguably that was justified revenge. It's also possible her curse only even worked as anything but an idle threat from an angry little girl because this universe has typical "vengeful spirit" mojo that can come into play and her existing powerset didn't even include that and that any vengeful ghost (so any human killed) could do what she did, we don't really know.

Basically don't be a dick if you don't want justifiably vengeful ghosts haunting you, Japanese cinema has taught me this much, at least.
>>
>>91834078
>It's also possible her curse only even worked as anything but an idle threat from an angry little girl because this universe has typical "vengeful spirit" mojo that can come into play and her existing powerset didn't even include that and that any vengeful ghost (so any human killed) could do what she did, we don't really know.
Right, we don't, we don't know if her powers could have been triggered regardless of their killing her either.

>Basically don't be a dick if you don't want justifiably vengeful ghosts haunting you,
Again, I got the intended message. Maybe if they were dicks to her but it wasn't about witchcraft to begin with I wouldn't have this issue with it.
>>
>>91834920
What people in the thread are arguing is that they didn't know she was dangerous, just unusual, and also that their actions were the only things that made her dangerous. It's sort of like you bully a little kid relentlessly just because he's shy and eventually he actually brings a gun to school. You created the problem in the first place. Actually that seems to be the big metaphor of the movie.
>>
>>91835242
Look, that wasn't it all all. Sure it was a part of it, but really this was all done because they knew if they did this Norman would be the recipient of the first ghost blowjob.
>>
>>91835242
>their actions were the only things that made her dangerous
We don't really know that for a fact though, and neither do Norman or the repentant villagers. We just have to go with the characters' assumptions on that because otherwise the message of the movie makes no sense.

It's not a big issue, it just bugged me.
>>
>>91835400
A fair point. They're forgiven for having a great reason after all. /thread
>>
>>91832820
people ship Dipper and Mabel all the time, and that's way more incesty than this
>>
>>91832863
daw
>>
File: tumblr_mmawee5Hec1rtn2elo1_500.png (346KB, 500x551px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mmawee5Hec1rtn2elo1_500.png
346KB, 500x551px
>>91835400
Woo woo woo
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.