[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does the subject of canon cause the biggest shitposting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: canon.png (159KB, 458x341px) Image search: [Google]
canon.png
159KB, 458x341px
Why does the subject of canon cause the biggest shitposting and nerd fights?
>>
because people are either right or wrong but don't want to admit it.
>>
>>91811223
Simple. Because it challenges people's concept of reality. It would really suck if what you believe in isn't true.
>>
>>91811223
Because things being canon or non-canon affect the world that the story takes place in, and it creates plot holes when it's ignored, which in turn leads to the belief that the creators don't give a shit about their world if they make mistakes that could easily have been fixed if they just paid attention to their own damn canon. In addition, specifying what is and is not actually happening can be necessary if you have an episode or story that is so fucking deplorable, having it as part of your overarching story devalues it as a whole (see also: Star Trek Voyager's "Threshold").
>>
File: 546164315461541.png (674KB, 663x768px) Image search: [Google]
546164315461541.png
674KB, 663x768px
>>91811223

/co/ is not that bad in this

/tg/ is a shit show on this though on anything Star Wars,40k,Some obsecure fantasy series from the 90s
>>
>>91811223
Why should I care about a story if it doesn't care about itself?

/thread
>>
>>91811223
the prevalent western delusion that all things can and must be quantified into an ordered system of true or false
>>
Because the core cape reading audience would rather read an "important" story than a good one
>>
>>91811223
>>91811346
get back to me when you see the autism of pokemon canonfags. Especialy since thing are so vage

>figuring out the geography of the pokemon world
>figuring out the timeline of the games, especially after GF started alternate universe shit
>figuring out the race of characters (this one is usually stealth /pol/fag threads)
>figuring out the feats of the main characters and how much of postgame counts
>zodiacfags
>redfags
>are forms new pokemon
>what is and isnt a legendary pokemon
>what exactly is canon
>anime vs game canon
it's the worst
>>
>>91811316
Pretty much what this anon said. Though, comics are peculiar since you can have multiple writers over the decades adding their own stories, which causes conflicts eventually. But then you get into the problem of writers who can't even adhere to the continuity within their own stories.
>>
>>91811223
I want to make my fanfic be as accurate as possible
>>
>>91811510
>redfags
Are you talking about the people who hold the belief that Red is some super badass trainer who is the best trainer in the world, and who in turn got mad when Sun and Moon confirmed that he's just some normal dude?
>>
>>91811510

There's nothing worse than mario canon.
>>
>>91811223
Because comics are saved only by fuzzy canon. Everyone can just believe the version they want to be true. When you try to nail down specifics, that's when arguments arise.
>>
>>91812085
yes. Or that's he's the best trainer out of them all desoite doing the least.

Half the can debates come from redfags who get mad when people say Ethan/Lyra beat him

>>91812119
Do people actually talk about it?
>>
D&D Greg > Sci-Fi Greg
>>
>>91812119
Is there really even a Mario canon? I mean Super Mario Bros 3 is a play and characters are just actors according to Nintendo. Even then we know barely know any thing of the characters' everyday life and the world is a mess with Peach's castle changing every game, the maps from multiple games contradicting eachothers and the sheer amount of shit there is if you count Wario, DK, rpg and party games.
>>
File: received_1514209905277705.jpg (14KB, 512x548px) Image search: [Google]
received_1514209905277705.jpg
14KB, 512x548px
>>91811350
>/threading his own post
>>
>>91813148
The Yoshi's Island games come first, and... that's all there is to Mario canon.
>>
>>91813148

The Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong Country has canonically been:

>The original Arcade Donkey Kong
>Donkey Kong Jr. all grown up
>The son of Donkey Kong Jr.

Nobody at Nintendo fucking knows.
>>
>>91811223
Because there's two sides to it.

Story or Continuity.
Do you care more about a story to be interesting or fun than for it to follow a set rule or history?
Or do you care more about lore being remembered in grown showing a respect for the history that has been developed through the stories.

Both can be valid preferences at times, with a gray area of how big minor continuity errors bother you or how knowledgeable the current writer is.

FOR EXAMPLE, in N52 Beastboy was made red (my guess to better connect his power to the supernatural force The Red).
Later a Teen Titans run just goes ahead and makes him green, because that is what people were used to or prefer.
Do you side with continuity or not?
>>
>>91812119
DEEPEST LORE.
>>
>>91813631
>why not both

He's an animal themed shapeshifter right? Not like there are any animals that can change their color
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.