[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I miss him.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 99

I miss him.
>>
>>91798556
Too bad, here's a film full of "memes".

I didn't like cynical Pete as much as reluctant Pete from Annihilation Conquest: Starlord.
>>
hey im actuly reading conquest now.

i liked annihilation better so far.

also groot can talk and hes kinda an asshole
>>
>>91799700
He's cynical but he did have his fun moments like when he was sarcastic or shit talked people, also he said some weird shit that made Rich just look at him funny.

Most of all I miss Peter and Richard, it's going to be weird with Rich and nuPeter.

Honestly they should have just made Giffen/DnA Peter be a Peter from the future or another reality and just make 616 Peter be like MCU Peter. Giffen/DnA Peter's past never really mattered aside from him being Star-Lord and Abnett already showed you can have two Star-lords in Guardians 3000 so yeah that way everyone is happy.

>>91799946
He's always been an asshole up until he just became a non entity under DnA's GotG who just says "I am Groot"

After that Bendis came in and Groot was also just there until the movie happened and suddenly he's this cute fluffy pacifist creature.
>>
>>91798556
RIP
>>
https://youtu.be/upKLZCansSY
>>
>>91799946
Annihilation is definitely better than Conquest. The Star-Lord mini is the best part of it.
>>
>>91799946
>i liked annihilation better so far.
Yeah, it peaks at Annihilation then it's kind downhill from there.
>>
>>91801189
>Phyla
>Warlock
>Rocket/Groot
>Star-Lord
EMH was the cartoon we didn't deserve but sure as hell needed.
>>
>>91801264
And then it escalates to Annihilation level in Imperative.

Annihilation > Thanos Imperative > Conquest > War of Kings
>>
Posting some giffen.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>91800134
>it's going to be weird with Rich and nuPeter.
Sucks that Rich got relegated to supporting character in GotG.
Truthfully, I'm not looking forward to what Duggan has in store for him. Bringing back the full Nova Corps already makes me not want to see what else has planned.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>91799946
Imperious monarch of planet X Groot is so much better than what he is now.
>>
>>
Bendis sucks a dick but you guys really exaggerate how much Peter has changed and how much the movie had to do with it.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>91801601
Giffen's Star-Lord is the best interpretation of the character ever.

Thank you, anon.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>91802336
You Welcome anon.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>91802014
Are you serious?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>91801721
>waaaahhh!!! old star-lord never quipped!!!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
The end
>>
>>91801923
Why does Starlord look like Kramer in almost every shot?
>>
>>91802014
>>91802445

Bendis ruing everything, but I agree. In comparison, this Peter says a lot of similar shit to movie Peter, he just delivers it in a more dour tone.

Like, same mannerisms and quick wit, but this Peter is just darker, movie Quill seems more optimisitc.
>>
>>91802867
Good shit, never read any star-lord before.
Thanks for the dump
>>
>>91802014
The movie pretty much followed how Peter acted in both this and Guardians, they just made him act more infantile.
Bendis outright butchered the character in an attempt of emulating the movie on top of the generic quirky personality all his characters have.
>>
>>91801189
>Star-Lord voiced by Master Chief
This series was fantastic.
>>
>>91803084
More fun that way, same with the outlaw with a heart of gold crap. I get people wishing they could get a version they prefer, but honestly I think it was a better marketing move overall.

It's been...interesting, to say the least, watching /co/ back and forth on whether we can tolerate the "dance off, bro" bit. Of course /co/ ain't a hivemind so it depends on who is present in the thread to present their opinion. My personal take? I liked it. Oh it was stupid, pure unadulterated stupid. Weapons grade stupid, in fact, which is why it's really the exact moment when Ronan was defeated. Because from that point on, even if Ronan succeeded in his life long dream of destroying Xandar, he would forever remember that one absolute fucking moron dancing in the middle of his triumph and it turn any future satisfaction at what he'd done into bitter fury. Ronan wanted his big moment of terror and righteous vengeance and it was suddenly all gone. There was no better way to piss in his cornflakes.
>>
>>91802336
Claremont/Englehart=Giffen>DnA=Moench>Zdarsky>Bendis>Humphries IMO

Hickman's was pretty entertaining in Secret Wars too but it was a minor role
>>
>>91803331
>classic star-lord above anything
Shitty Flash Gordon rip-off. The character was instantly improved when that characterization was dropped out of the window.

Giffen > Abnett > DnA > Gunn > power gap > Classic > Bendis >> Humphries

Not even gonna count Chips 6 issues of homo erotic fanart.
>>
>>91802222
quads ona RIPing of such an annoying slut. grats.
>>
>>91802134
This Shi'ar bitch reads like MCU Drax.
>>
>>91801838
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but yeah I'm not exactly excited about it since the new Nova corps are suppose to be antagonists and anti-human or something. I hope Rich isn't with them.

Also I'm kind of bummed that Rich didn't end up with the Ultimates, that would have been way better.
>>
File: Im like the legendary Star-lord.jpg (191KB, 736x1117px) Image search: [Google]
Im like the legendary Star-lord.jpg
191KB, 736x1117px
>>91801721
>>91802589
True although he's actually funny and not annoying (well except to the Kree). He also quipped in Annihilation but it was more sarcastic.

There's also a difference between being a smartass and making some stupid non-sequitur remarks that Humphries and Bendis had Peter do, also annoying dialogue like pic related.
>>
>>91803771
Dogfucker/Bendis are just bad. Their Star-Lord is terrible in all fronts not only in the quipping department.
My greentext was aimed to people complaining about the movies. Though I can see why people didn't liked stuff like "Dance off, bro!", considering the MCU is basically Disneyfied Marvel I say Star-Lord still got off pretty well.
>>
>>91803583
After the shitty treatment Rich got for the past several years, I'm expecting it to be pretty bad.
>>
>>91803397
You sound like a tool. Classic Star-Lord lays the whole foundation of the character.
>>
>>91798556
looks like Cyberpunk Bruce Lee
>>
>>91803978
And you sound like you have shit taste.

Classic Star-Lord's best accomplishment was giving a backstory to a better character.
>>
>>91803307
I mean, he IS an outlaw with a heart of gold, seems he's got a similar demanor here. Gruff, with a heart of gold.

For sure it was a better marketing move, I think they kept enough of Pete's chaarcter to keep him the same, as well as most of his personality. It's almost the same as Raimi's Spiderman. Sure, Parker is far more melancholy, and Gwen wasn't in it, but all the important details were there ,no point in complaining about the webshooters being orgainic either. Even amzing Spider-man did this, and that was okay, excluding some parts of ASM, and half of the second.
>>
>>91803771
This has got to be one of the worst things I've ever read.

If you put this page and one from the story just posted here and tried to convince someone that there two guys are the same character NOBODY would believe it.
>>
>>91803084
Movie Quill is also more irresponsible and immature, a womanizer, and his lexicon is a bit more childish like "turdblossom"

Honestly DnA Peter is a bit more like MCU Peter than Giffen Peter in his mannerisms and even then Thanos noted that he acted superficial and glib to hide his true nature (Nova thinks Peter quips to ease his guilt).

Bendis' Peter wasn't THAT bad, he was just boring and kind of there and written like Bendis writes pretty much every character, then when Kitty came into the picture he had even less to do.

Humphries' Peter Quill and the cartoon Peter Quill are abominations though, they should be purged.
>>
File: sameperson.png (719KB, 781x524px) Image search: [Google]
sameperson.png
719KB, 781x524px
I'll never understand this change. They do not even look like the same person.
>>
>>91803771
This is like, a shitty version of all the unimportant parts of MCU starlord, the only good thing is using his words as a distrraction. Pratt wouldn't fumble his words this much, and wouldn't speak like a tool, he keeps that part of StarLord at least.

Als
>muh poor refugees
>muh same father but she's somehow black

Bendis wrote this, right?
>>
>>91804031
He's the same character. Under Giffen he's just grumpy and has a cowboy accent. He's even still written as something of a wandering misadventurer, shuffling around between the Shi'ar, the United Front, and the Kree.
>>
>>91804105
Characterization doesn't make mediocre stories any better, anon.
>>
>>91804059
I'd say irresponsible, but more so to save his friends, don't rightly rememebr him doing stupid shit if someone else wasn't at stake. His lexicon wasn't too bad, he only got colorful with Ronan, who I hope returns later. As for a womanizer, he just hit on Gamora, right? And this new chick?

I'm saying he's got a more carefree veneer, but generally seems smart, and competent, just like this run's Quill.

As for Bendi's Peter, yeah I believe it's that bad, the man can't write and has a track record for ruining everything he touches, this includes practically all my favorite heroes as well as everyone else's favorite. If the above page is indicative at all of his runs, then I'm validated in my opinion of his run.
>>
>>91804082
>what are different art styles

If he still had brown hair no one would complain, about his appearance at least
>>
File: Durrhurr.jpg (807KB, 1239x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Durrhurr.jpg
807KB, 1239x1280px
>>91804082
True, and that's not even the worst depiction of Peter Quill (the one on the left I mean) the artists they managed to get for Humphries' run made him look like a dumb jocks or lanky hipster, they all had punchable faces too.

>>91804169
>As for a womanizer, he just hit on Gamora, right? And this new chick?

No he mentions being with other alien chicks, I think one of his Nova corps charges was seducing someone of importance or something, then he mentions being with a certain race of alien women who were dangerous because of their sharp teeth?

Oh yeah he's smart and carefree and that I appreciate that Gunn kept that aspect of him, as for the immature part well there was the Jason Pollock comment and other stuff that he does.

At least he's not an idiot, he managed to keep the Guardians together and without him they would all fall apart, that's something the Marvel writers don't seem to get, also he's the brains of the group.

>>91804096
Humphries is responsible for that shit, he's also responsible for this
>>
>>91804128
They're perfectly fine stories. His origin is great. And Giffen's version is just as derivative and is a supporting character outside of one miniseries.
>>
>>91804246
It has nothing to do with art style, it doesn't look like it could be the same guy whereas someone like Peter Parker is consistently drawn similar by different artists.
>>
>>91803084
>movie Quill seems more optimisitc.

Movie Quill, while having endured personal tragedy, hasn't had the personal failures of this Peter- killing a planet to save a universe, fighting a war where half of Galactic Civilization collapsed around him, accidentally Phalanxing the Kree.
>>
>>91804289
>They're perfectly fine stories
Makes me wonder your current standards for "fine", but alas you're entitled to your opinion let's just agree to disagree.
And by the way Giffen's version completely dropped everything from the prior character and solely used a lossy version of it as motivation/backstory for his version.
>>
>>91804308
>someone like Peter Parker is consistently drawn similar by different artists.

That's because older comics with editorial enforcement of what Peter Parker is supposed to look like is skewing your thinking.
>>
>>91804246
He's just saying he doesn't look like the same guy.

Honestly I don't mind if they made him look gruff or just decent looking, but Pichelli made him look like a pretty boy and all the Legendary Star-Lord artists made him look punchable.

Schitti's Peter was OK and Anka's would have been fine if he didn't make him look like he had frosted blonde tips and Kuder's Peter looks strange.
>>
>>91804391
The one in the left looks OK but the WTF is up with the hair on the one on the right?
>>
File: Drax Nova and some naked dude.jpg (170KB, 646x476px) Image search: [Google]
Drax Nova and some naked dude.jpg
170KB, 646x476px
>>91804082
The only thing that bothered me was those Cancerverse flashbacks, they feel wrong.
>>
>>91804344
Literally the same character, Giffen's is just an angsty bum.
>>
>>91804513
>they're literally the same but they just differ in the part that defines their characterizations
Yeah, no.
>>
>>91804265
>At least he's not an idiot, he managed to keep the Guardians together and without him they would all fall apart, that's something the Marvel writers don't seem to get, also he's the brains of the group.
Yeah, exactly, I think this is his more important trait. Rocket was also pretty smart, but Pete was cearly the leader.

As for seducing hot alien babes, Quill never did that more than once? I'm not sure if it's something you're supposed to take too seriously, but we'll see come gaurdians 2. Though now that you mention it, that pollock comment which I forgot ties into him screwing lots of alien broads and the one girl in his ship I completely forgot about.

He feels kinda like a more fun Han Solo, and that's what old Quill was, a smart han solo, just more dour. And like I said about Parker, I didn't disown Rami's Peter for being too sad, since the package was generally good and they kept the important parts. Same for Quill, I'm upset he didn't kill aliens with his po's gear, but ti wouldn't have been as easy of a fit for the narrative.

That page is funny out of context, but yeah, if that's the kinda quality of humpries I'm glad I didn't catch most of that.
>>
>>91804391
McNiven made him look like a cheap pop male idol.
>>
>>91804391
>>91804495
I don't get why they draw him bleach blonde either, I know og Starlord was blonde, and old is brown, but Pratt himself is dirtyblonde. Ergo, he should be blonde/brown haired, which is closer to all three versions.
>>
>>91804538
>hurr durr what is character development

Man, I love comics but the average Big 2 fan really is retarded.

If Giffen didn't appreciate the classic stuff he wouldn't have brought the character back in the first place.
>>
>>91804544
>As for seducing hot alien babes, Quill never did that more than once?
Not that guy but you don't have to be shown Quill seducing several women on-screen during the movie to get how he often fooled around with alien pussy.
The scene with the red chick he forgot was still there is pretty much the only thing you need to get that.
>>
>>91804544
he fucked some weird shit in the old stories, like his spaceship and a telepathic reptile lady
>>
>>91804593
>y-you dumb big two r-reader!!!!
Uneeded Ad Hominem.
Maybe Giffen just needed an obscure cosmic character to reinvent and use as the war veteran who mentors Nova, but since neither of us is able to know that for sure it's completely stupid to use that as an argument.
You argue character development but this is was pretty much ditching the old character and building a new one from scratch. He even "killed" the old Star-Lord at the very beginning of this story.
>>
>>91804693
I do know that, cause I was here in 2007 and read the interviews.
>>
>>91804758
Good for you, champ.

It still doesn't change the fact they're different characters.
>>
>>91804788
Whatever makes you feel better, jackass.
>>
>>91804825
Being right like I do now does, thank you for asking.
>>
>>91804788
>It still doesn't change the fact they're different characters.
This is technically right since Marvel retconned the first appearance of Star-Lord into being a different version.
>>
>>91804841
>he's still replying
>>
>>91804544
Old Quill was a social shut in who became a Han Solo type, especially after Claremont took over.

>>91804610
He only fucked those two but old Quill was a weirdo, he even shuns two ladies who were interested in him because he was studying to get into NASA and wanted to concentrate on that.
>>
>>91804579
OG Star-Lord was in a black and white comic so it's hard to tell and his hair was inked black especially when compared to other people with lighter hair. So he had dark hair even if we couldn't tell his color.

When Claremont came on board and they had his comic in color they made it blonde but it was a dirty blonde or a golden blonde but it wasn't that bleach.

That said Bendis probably made that decisions since he read Claremont's run and he based Peter on what he read.
>>
>>91805446
>bendis
>reading anything
>>
>>91804593
>>91804693
Found this old article that you guys might appreciate
http://www.cbr.com/quills-heroes-giffen-talks-annihilation-conquest-star-lord/

>>91804788
Well he wasn't the same character when Claremont started writing him since he made him different from Englehart's version and he retconned quite a bit (like the whole Spartax thing).

At least Giffen bothered to give us a reason as to why he acted differently than his old self and we saw him get more cheery when DnA took over and that was also given an explanation.

Both Bendis and Humphries just changed them, hell even Bendis' Peter acted differently pre MCU GotG movie and post movie, especially since Bendis made him more roguish and irresponsible. Humphries' version was just shit.
>>
>>91805577
I'm just saying what he claimed and he claimed he read it, although I feel like he skimmed it.

But it's obvious he didn't bother with Englehart's run.
>>
>>91805608
WAit, this was the first time he met Rocket and Groot? I thought the guardians were a thing before in the old books, it was just STarlord and Rocket Racoon in seperate books?
>>
please respond
>>
>>91805705
Conquest was the first time Peter met Rocket and Groot.

Guardians of the Galaxy was a thing before this but it was a different team and they were from the 30th century.

Before Annihilation Conquest and Annihilation Star-Lord had his own book, Rocket appeared in a Hulk issue (don't know if he had his own book tho).

Gamora and Drax were going around different comics but they were in a group called Infinity Watch with Moondragon, Adam Warlock (both who later joined the GotG), Pip the troll, and Thanos. So Gamora, Moondragon, Adam and Drax knew each other before becoming Guardians.

Mantis and Moondragon were both Avengers before being Guardians.

Groot had a one shot issue in the 60's and then he faded into obscurity until Annihilation Conquest.

So yeah Annihilation Conquest: Star-Lord was what is called the proto-modern Guardians team, and Peter doesn't name the team until DnA's GotG #1 and he gets the name from Vance Astro who is found frozen by the team and he's from the future. Vance tells them he's from a team called Guardians of the Galaxy and then Peter and Rocket decide to take the name.
>>
>>91806795
I guess I got little confused, was reading Mar-vell's death when I saw Drax. As well as the infintiy wars stuff and most of the team was around. I really only ever read some early Starlord, but I remember seeing Rocket Racoon much much earlier so I just assumed they were together for a while.
>>
>>91803232
I miss the show so much.
>>
File: Annihilation Conquest 02.jpg (264KB, 1280x1332px) Image search: [Google]
Annihilation Conquest 02.jpg
264KB, 1280x1332px
I like Movie Quill, but I really miss Giffen/DnA Quill's undercurrent of guilt as motivation. It was a big part of the gallows humor feel of the whole run, and like a proper character flaw, it wasn't something that was really fully resolved. It was controlled and kept in check, but it never left him and was constantly pushing him to insanely impossible situations with barely put-together teams and plans.
And while we're at it, I also miss Phyla for very similar reasons.
>>
>>91810336
>>And while we're at it, I also miss Phyla for very similar reasons.
Always goes back to Phyla with ya.
>>
>>91810336
Good taste Judge.
>>
>>91812329
Bless Judge anon.
>>
>>91810376
His waifu.
>>
>>91803991
It does.
>>
>>91803193
>Thanks for the dump
You welcome anon.
>>
>>91798556
I remember Dan Abnett did an interview where he talked about how he and the other people on Marvel's cosmic side had the freedom to do what they did because Quesada and Marvel Editorial didn't really get the cosmic stuff. The characters he wanted to work with were like the broken toys at the bottom of the shelf to them.
>>
>>91818227
found it https://web.archive.org/web/20170404234508/http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-dan-abnett-and-andy-lanning-revived-the-guardians-o-1794008301
>>
>>91801629
>i was Star-Lord

Who?
>>
>>91818924
Aye
>>
>>91804315
It seems like none of that matters anymore in the context of the Marvel Universe except the killing a planet thing. Even less now that Rich and the Nova Corps are back.

Personally, Bendis aside, I don't see any reason why Quill should be a sour asshole anymore.
>>
>>91798556
I prefer conquest Peter. He was always in over his head. So much so that it became the standard for him. Also miss the PeterxRichie days
>>
>>91801601
Man, the kree battle uniform was the GOAT.
>>
>>91803201
How he acts in the movie makes sense in the context of the movie. MCU quill doesn't have the past 616 quill has. Its why Bendis' take is so jarring to pre-movie fans
>>
>>91818227
Yeaj and now that the movie happened Marvel editorial is shitting all over Cosmic Marvel.
>>
>>91818924
Reference aside, everyone in the cosmic community knew who Star-Lord was in the comics
>>91802740
>>
>>91820179
Hell Yeah.
>>
>>91820666
the joke actually comes from GOTG when he goes to 42
>>
>>91820551
I'd say that Marvel is still clueless about thier cosmic stuff but it looks like they are clueless about everything nowadays.
>>
>>91819893
>Aye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlqGvf4dYNY
>>
Bamp
>>
>>91803232
I actually really hate that voice for Peter. It's too authorative and militaristic. Even DnA Pete and Conquest Pete were an everyman in over his head.
>>
>>91827151
This
Thread posts: 193
Thread images: 99

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.