[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teen Titans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Teen TitansTogether.png (177KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
Teen TitansTogether.png
177KB, 500x348px
So I haven't watched Teen Titans in years but judging from clips I've seen and looking over an episode list, I kind of suspect it's not going to hold up that well if I do. I don't think it would be outright shit by any means, just that it hasn't aged very well.

For starters, when looking over the episode list, I realised the story really only seemed to exist when it was absolutely necessary. Any concept of elements carrying from one episode to the next barely even exist, it just has the illusion of an ongoing narrative. A perfect example of this is Terra, she's introduced early on in season 2 but take a look at her throughout the season, notice anything? She's barely in it, she only exists when the plot requires her to. Standalone episodes can also seem off, like the episode about Starfire transforming... Into her normal form... Yeah, like I said, I haven't re-watched a full episode in a while but stuff like that just seems odd when you just say it.

And judging from the clips, that too seems off. Like it tries to funny but doesn't really understand the type of humor it's trying to emulate, and it just seems to clash with the more serious aspects.

Tl;Dr, It just seems like it would come across as an awkward show if I rewatched it.
>>
>>91778609
Just watch the show again, anon. Just watching clips isn't going to give you the whole experience or feel that the actual show does. I can't really tell you if it holds up because I'm not you, we're going to see things differently. I personally still like it even after all these years, but maybe you won't. Just try it out, and see for yourself, man.
>>
>>91778609
You are correct
>>
>>91778609
This is why Teen Titans go is superior. They deon't even try to have a coherent story, they just make comedy and roll with it.
>>
I always saw it as an awkward show, I was born at the very end of the 80s so I grew up watching decent to top tier capeshit 90s shows, and by the time Teen Titans came out anime was fully mainstream in the US and with some pretty good ones out there too, it didn't live up to the Western action shows I had grown up with in my mind and it also seemed like a cheap attempt to cash in on what at the time was the hip thing in animu, and of course it wasn't that either

I felt it was awkward back when it was airing and still does, someone who's a little younger than me would probably feel different
>>
>>91778609
You have to have a certain appreciation for blending comedy and drama, especially in the context of an episodic series with season arcs. Personally, I enjoy virtually any cartoon with good writing regardless of genre, so I didn't feel like I hated the filler episodes in this whatsoever.
>>
>>91778609
As the seasons went on and they realized the kind of content that was really drawing in fans was the story elements they started shifting the plot more in that direction. Watching it as a whole I think it still holds up, and especially with some of the best episodes (Haunted, How Long Is Forever?) it's indisputable.
>>
>>91780224
Don't forget the season 5 two-parter finale. I saw someone on another forum claiming that it was the best hour of DC comics-based television ever.
>>
Watched it as a kid and started rewatching it again recently, honestly the most entertaining part for me is the camaraderie. The plot will always feel kind of contrived with the amount of one off episodes they do. OP if you were looking for plot I don't really know why you would expect anything in particular out of TT m, just rewatch and enjoy.
>>
>>91780307
The plots don't feel contrived for the most part. If you think that you probably have a shit sense of humor and can't stand the comedic episodes at all, regardless of writing quality.
>>
>>91778609

Without nostalgia, it really isn't very notable. Wafer thin characterisation and pretty poor at the comedy. The Mad Mod episodes were by far the most creative and memorable.
>>
>>91781232
Dude, I just watched it for the first time, I'd never so much as seen a single episode before then. It is almost on par with ATLA in my book, it's definitely better than pretty much any other cartoon I've seen
>>
>>91781232
>>
File: Raven waffles.jpg (994KB, 1916x1076px) Image search: [Google]
Raven waffles.jpg
994KB, 1916x1076px
>>91781552
>>
It actually holds up well. There are reasons as to why some of the portrayals of characters on it are considered better than the comics.

/co/ is one of the few places where I notice this ridiculous contrarianism and bitching about the "anime art style"
>>
>>91781894
Anime art style is best. That's why anime uses it, with little deviation for the most part.
Most cartoon art is shit, and the best cartoons (e.g. this and ATLA) use an animesque style.

/co/ only hates on it because admitting that an entire global industry is a failure as opposed to one tiny island country's comparative hobby is way too painful to admit.
>>
>>91778609
It holds up well, but it was always not for everybody. It's not very plot centric, in that most of it is episodic, and even within those episodes the plot is often paper thin. But it's not necessarily a bad thing, as the show uses it's light plot to focus on it's strengths, which is character interaction. The S1 Arc is a good example. Up until Apprentice we have no fucking clue what Slade wants, but it doesn't matter one bit because Ron Perlman's Slade is effortlessly threatening and his effect on the characters completely dominates the show.

If you like the characters, you'll like the show. If you want heavy plot, you're gonna think the show is crap.

In other, more surreal episodes like "Mad Mod" and "Bunny Raven" the plot is basically nothing more that "zany villain with surreal powers puts the Titans in a topsy-turvy world!" If you enjoy that sort of spectacle, this show does it well.

The shows humor is largely dependent on sight gags, and the show very much embraces itself as a cartoon in these moments. Of course the mild animu influence on its art style was always a turn off for some people.

As for the art itself, it was always inconsistent, especially in the first season. In important moments the show looks almost cinematic. At it's low point the show looks incredibly cheap, with the short denoument sequence at the end of "Switched" being widely considered the worst animation in the series. But overall the show has good, expressive animation with lots of color and shows a good throttling of movement to help pace the story. Towards the mid-to-later seasons the show's style solidifies and the quality becomes more uniform, but the general rule of 'big moments get the best animation' still generally holds true.

Overall I think it's aged fine. Most of it's criticism today is the same as when it was airing, and aside from not being Cal-Arts, flash animation that is fairly ubiquitous these days, nothing about it feels dated imo.
>>
>>91781894
>There are reasons as to why some of the portrayals of characters on it are considered better than the comics.

Because /co/ is a bunch of children who grew up with the cartoon and not the comics?
>>
>>91778609
It hold up pretty well I think. It isn't a continuity heavy show but there are definitely overarching stories.
It is clearly written for an audience on the younger end of teen and I think the kind of character drama the show has reflects that. If you can't empathize with those kinds of concerns then I think you'd find a lot of the episodes pretty uninteresting as an adult.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.