[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth reading any xmen runs from before Giant Sized? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Is it worth reading any xmen runs from before Giant Sized? I didn't read them because jay and miles said they were bad but then hearing Jay's reasoning it just seems like she hates them because she is a faggot.

Also, why the fuck did Claremont completely rewrite Giant Sized for the classic xmen comic?
>>
>>91754090
They aren't that great, but some of them are all right. It gets better once Roy Thomas takes over writing duties, and the comics he wrote with Neal Adams are pretty solid. And I think the parts that Steranko did are worth looking at for the art.
>>
Nothing that'll blow your mind

I fucking love Kirby but the Kirby issues are among his weakest Marvel era stuff. I strongly dislike the immediate post Kirby stuff.

The stuff Arnold Drake wrote is fun with serviceable art except for the spectacular two part Steranko drawn Polaris story. That's probably the pre Claremont highlight.

I'm a bit of a heretic when it comes to Neal Adams but some of the issues he drew are fun.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>91754605
>Steranko
I don't know if it was because of the long slog before it, but the Polaris/Living Tribunal and the first Sentinel storyline were all breathtaking for me.
>>
>>91754090
It's extremely generic Lee/Kirby stuff. Like if you took all the most basic aspects of their collaborations and hacked away all the weirdness and experimentation that makes them so phenomenal, you end up with pre-Claremont X-Men.
It's not bad by any measure, it's just not nearly as good as it could have been. Lee is clearly phoning it in.
>>
>>91754509

Agreed that the Steranko and Thomas/Adams issues are worth checking out.

As the earlier issues go, for Lee/Kirby works, and for Silver Age Marvel in general, X-Men shouldn't be the first thing anyone reads, and they're very dated, but most of it is OK.
>>
>>91754871

Well, the entire concept of mutants originated from Lee and Kirby "phoning it in" in terms of not wanting to come up with more origins for how the characters got their powers.

Arguably the most interesting and different thing about the Lee/Kirby X-Men was the introduction of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, as fundamentally good people, who should be heroes, caught up on the wrong side of a war.
>>
>Listening to Jay, the literal autist
>Listening to the fully grown woman with the mind of a preteen
>Listening to the womanchild who has no understanding of the x-men
>Listening to Jay, whose ex- husband got her into x-men as a teen, march around like hot shit and act like she knows more than anyone else about x-men
Op, the show is very informitive and all, but beyond that, stop listening to the stupid tasteless hag
>>
>>91754090

Why are you listening to what other ppl think of it and deciding based on that if its worth your time? Is your time worth that much that you have to be super careful how you spend it?

Just read the fucking book and decide for yourself for fucks sake...
>>
File: image.jpg (595KB, 1280x1504px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
595KB, 1280x1504px
>>91754090
>>
>>91756096
Yea I love how they go out of their way to basically say how much they love the shit in the New Mutants book which is basically stuff from the silver age X-men book, but Miles isn't allowed to like silver age xmen because Jay says it is sexist and that you have to read season one instead.

And that Jay hates the giant sized team because Logan, Peter, and some how Kurt are white men
>>
This thread reminds me of a really good review blog I used to read called The X-Axis - the focus was on X-books, but he also covered other Big Two titles and some damn obscure indie press stuff too.

Anyway, the guy who wrote also did a retrospective on the old Silver Age X-Men comic, and it was REALLY good. He even went through every plot hole at the end of each issue summary!

The site's dead now, but he set up shop on wordpress. I keep meaning to try and see if the site's still on The Internet Archive, but I always forget.
>>
>>91756776
I remember that blog... fuck, what was the original url again?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.