[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rick got flanderized

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0691.png (35KB, 1073x834px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0691.png
35KB, 1073x834px
Did Rick get flanderized from his original character?

On season 1 he was just a drunk mad scientist that went on adventures with his grandkid that he liked for some reason. "The outside world is our enemy Morty. We're the only friends we have."

Then by season 3 they can't go 1 minute without mentioning he is the smartest guy in the universe, mentioning he is cynical, or expressing how much he hates his family that for some reason he sticks around with.

"Look how depressed I am! Morty you're a piece of shit. Oh waba luba dub dub I just tricked you because I'm the smartest guy in the universe. Summer you're a piece of shit. Oh no my girlfriend dumped me :( oh yeah fuck this universe with millions of innocent organisms living in it, I'm the smartes guy in the universe, power my car bitch!"

He's a Mary Sue at this point and no one can't touch him. If someone gets the upper hand that was just his plan all along, if he shows emotion he was just faking it to get the upperhand, if it shows he cares about his family he was just doung it for le epicxs Teriyaky Pocahontas Burger king onion rings dipping sauce ecs dee xDDD
>>
I don't know that you can flanderize such a limp character

What does he have other than drunk scientist
>>
He's a main character...I don't understand.
>>
>>91751860
He became a meme for normies. They can't understand nuance, actual self-loathing, or trying to dull the pain through foods/drinks/actions associated with a better time in your life, so the creators went with the shallowest route possible.
>>
>>91752220
He cared about Morty. Was sort of a Mentor figure and would often congratulate Morty when he did something right. "The student becomes the teacher!" It was a neat dynamic of crazy guy who's seen everything and innocent boy following him.

Nowadays he just thinks everybody is a piece of shit and shits on Morty everytime he complains about anything.
>>
>>91752236
what does that have to do with it?
I think he has been fladerized a little bit. However, hes been an asshole from the beginning, and he has been shown to care about his family at the same time. So...its hard to tell. We could just be remembering the extreme examples.

We remember the speech about how they are just pieces of shit in the episode, but he also sacrificed himself to save morty, reluctantly, so... You know, hes a depressed ptsd drunk. Not a very consistent person.

Lets see how the next season goes, i guess. Too late to influence with criticism, lol
>>
I honestly have no idea where people get their interpretations of Season 1 Rick from. Did people actually identify with this character or something?
>>
>>91752301
Just like with Walter White from Breaking Bad people don't understand there can be evil protagonists and try to justify evil portagonist's actions.

Literally seen hundreds of youtube comments justifying Ricks's genocides with "well he is really smart, so he is admirable."
>>
>>91751860
>He's a Mary Sue at this point

No he isn't.
Mary Sue implies that he's perfect, loved by everyone, and can do no wrong.

Rick is none of these things.
>>
>>91752380
>Mary Sue implies that he's perfect, loved by everyone, and can do no wrong.
>Rick is non of these things

>no one can ever outsmart/trick him/defeat him, he's always 20 steps ahead and if it looks like he is losing that was just his plan all along
>granddaughter thinks he is a hero, daughter leaves husband for him, he is always welcomed back no matter what shitty things he does

>can do no wrong

That's not a problem with the actual show but more havin to do with people in real life trying to justify his actions.
>>
>>91752263
shut up stupid, you're not interesting for wallowing in self-pity

depression is not a replacement for personality
>>
>>91752504
Shut up dingus, depression in itself is not a personality, but what it plays off of. In Rick, it's played against his disdain for others as well as himself, and against his obvious affection for his family that he tries to hide for one reason or another. And then there are his efforts to have wacky crazy fun which only serve to underline how depressed he is, since no stable person would go to such lengths to take their minds off of reality unless something bugged them about it.
>>
>>91752380

That's so 2002. These days the good folks at TV Tropes have huge piles of different flavors of Sues.

He's a villain sue.
>>
>>91752676
Why do people here hate tv tropes?
>>
>>91753123

their userbase is full of pseudointellectual normies, thats all
>>
>>91754882
And /co/ isn't pseudointellectual?
>>
>>91754882
oh, so it's another instance of /co/ hating something solely because of it's fans
thanks, i might check the site out now
>>
>>91751860

No, Rick has been pretty consistent, but he is treated more like a real person than a character. He flip flops on his emotions and why he does things, but it is well within human standards.
>>
>>91751860

how do you flanderize anything in that shitheap of a show? the entire thing is like an extended pilot, waiting for a suit to cut down on the bullshit and whip it into coherent shit instead of flipflopping around

>>91755170

dont forget to update your Troper Tales, faggot
>>
>>91752481

>He's a sociopath that may or may not simply be using his family for his own personal goals

Don't get me wrong, he's narratively unstoppable, but what makes him an interesting character is that you're never quite sure if he's a completely awful human being or just a mostly awful one.
>>
>>91756573
>the entire thing is like an extended pilot, waiting for a suit to cut down on the bullshit and whip it into coherent shit instead of flipflopping around

so youre salty because it's an episodic comedy?
>>
>>91758389

>episodic

No its not because there is a clear continuity even if they keep changing their minds where the show should go.

>comedy

The only funny thing about it is that people lap it up.
>>
The pilot episode/Episode 1 Rick was better than what came after; the emphasis was on his insanity and drunkenness rather than him being a snarky jackass.
>>
>>91752275
The first episode was about how bullshit that persona was.
>>
>>91752275
>Nowadays he just thinks everybody is a piece of shit and shits on Morty everytime he complains about anything.
If anything it's the exact opposite. Just look at how he abandoned the original family in new cronenburg world but turns himself in by the end of season 2 for his new family.
There's even me subtle (for this show) hints of care for summer and morty as he's legitimately worried about them when unity destroyed a city.
>>
>>91758523
Episodic does not mean that everything returns to the status quo at the end of the episode, it means that it is separated into stories which start and end in the 22 minute episode (hence the name). It means that it's not a soap opera that just meanders about, improvising a poorly conceived-thread like a shonen manga.
>>
>>91760799
>but turns himself in by the end of season 2 for his new family.
That was all just a gambit in order to let him get close enough to the Federation and fuck their shit up. Not to mention also fucking Jerry over.
>>
i think this was the first time the shitposting was right.
Im two episodes in and want to kill myself.
>an unironic "get it" in a basic poop joke
>Morty's voice and VA are grating
>AH JEEZ RICK, OH AAHHH RICK I DONT THINK THATS A GOOD IDEAA
>Rick's a shitty character, not even a a good-bad character
>all the jokes are incredibly bad and have no sense or timing or desilvery

Just pales compared to bojack 2bh
>>
>>91761299
of timing or delivery*
>>
>>91761147
>That was all just a gambit in order to let him get close enough to the Federation and fuck their shit up
If that were the case he would have done it years ago. Also if he were doing it solely for that reason there would be no reason for him to be upset after eavesdropping on their conversation.
>>
>>91761299
It's funny because the initial shitposting was sparked by Roiland himself if I remember right.
>>
>>91751860
He's exactly the fucking same as he always was. The first episode has him murdering tons of aliens for no particular reason and he destroys his original earth in the first season. The monologue at the end of S3 is a direct reference to the one at the end of the pilot.

Not to mention the fact that the characters in this show are just a vehicle for comedy. All of these DEEP dynamics that faggots attached to the characters and relationships in this show are completely fabricated and everything is free game if it will make for a funny joke. Get the fuck over yourselves.
>>
>>91761299
>2 be honest(s)

Why do you need two of these? What did he mean by this?
>>
>>91761690
it was a habit when desu got filtered
>>
>>91761726
But you just said desu.
>>
>>91761791
the magic is a can choose either.
>>
>>91760799
That wasn't his original family. Even near the end of the cronenburg episose, (where he explicitly dimension hops) it can be assumed this isn't his first rodeo.

Of course in the newest season we have confirmation it wasn't his first, but oh well.
>>
>>91762052
>That wasn't his original family.
Which is why I put "the original" instead of his. It's pretty blatant that he had a family before them given the fact that he's seen with a baby morty twice.

Anyway the point is that he's starting to feel a bit of regret in his actions.
>>
Anyone have a mega of S3E2?
>>
>>91751860
That's assuming this is consistently the same Rick from episode to episode. There are hints that we don't always follow C137 Rick, who's supposed to be the god of all Ricks. A character arc isn't really something I look for when I watch Rick and Morty, at least nothing long-term
>>
>>91761670
I feel like they destroyed the galactic government and the council of Ricks all in one episode so they could go back to episodic shenanigans and shut up everyone who wanted a serious plot.
>>
>>91755170
>oh, so it's another instance of /co/ hating something solely because of it's fans
That's the reason? I thought it was because you read one article which leads to another article which leads to another article which leads to 14 hours of your day gone and you can't remember where you put your pants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_hG70ENBkQ
>>
>>91751860
>Rick got flanderized
>He's a Mary Sue at this point
When will you retards stop using buzzwords you don't know the meaning of?

>On season 1 he was just a drunk mad scientist that went on adventures with his grandkid
>Then by season 3 they can't go 1 minute without mentioning he is the smartest guy in the universe, mentioning he is cynical, or expressing how much he hates his family that for some reason he sticks around with
How the fuck is this an example of flanderization? Flanderization implies that Rick has been oversimplified to a single trait. Saying "he was just a drunk mad scientist" is you outright admitting that he was a simple character in the beginning. You are literally describing character development.

>He's a Mary Sue at this point and no one can't touch him. If someone gets the upper hand that was just his plan all along, if he shows emotion he was just faking it to get the upperhand, if it shows he cares about his family he was just doung it for le epicxs Teriyaky Pocahontas Burger king onion rings dipping sauce ecs dee xDDD
That is not what a fucking Mary Sue is. The show blatantly beats you over the head a billion fucking times about the fact that Rick is a nihilistic piece of shit that nobody genuinely likes. A Mary Sue would be the exact opposite of that.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.