[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would a stoic father figure be cringy? Should every animated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 19

File: RichardS2.png (177KB, 425x501px) Image search: [Google]
RichardS2.png
177KB, 425x501px
Would a stoic father figure be cringy? Should every animated dad be the same character?
>>
>>91701552
>I've never watched King of the Hill
>>
>>91701552

A stoic father would probably be boring. Unless they also played his stoicism for laughs.
>>
>>91701581
>hank is stoic
hank just isn't a fucking moron, that doesn't mean he's stoic
>>
File: bobby.gif (494KB, 480x302px) Image search: [Google]
bobby.gif
494KB, 480x302px
The rational, stoic father only works when everyone else is colorful and crazy. Like in KoTH.
>>
Some of the dads on KnD broke from the 'inept clown' mold
>>
File: bob.jpg (62KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
bob.jpg
62KB, 600x337px
>>91701622
also, i much prefer rational father to stoic father. In comparison to everyone else on the show, Bob is the rational one. But he isn't boring and still has a fun personality.
>>
>>91701654
I only remember one and he was considered evil.
>>
>>91701622
Isn't Bob Burger also relatively stoic next to his kin.
>>
File: 005-09.jpg (130KB, 774x673px) Image search: [Google]
005-09.jpg
130KB, 774x673px
>Should every animated dad be the same character?
No, see.
>>
>>91701552
Father figures don't have naturally lovable, interesting or comedic personalities when played straight so they mess with them a little to make them fun to watch.
>>
>>91701552
What about Johnny Quest's dad? He was a badass. I recognize Johnny Qust is an old ass cartyoon, but they had re-runs on Boomerang all the time when I was like 14.
>>
>>91701654
>>91701675
Numbuh 1's dad was a bumbling oaf who was revealed to be a legendary KND member, and turned hyper competent once he got his memories back.
>>
File: concentrate.jpg (6KB, 251x189px) Image search: [Google]
concentrate.jpg
6KB, 251x189px
>>91701552
Fuck dude, I wrote a whole thing but it got erased. Here's the gist:

Comedically (which is important because all those guys you posted are in comedic shows), there are more opportunities for comedy when you make fun of the boss than when the boss is making fun of his dumb employees. Look at The Office as an example. Would that show really work in the reverse? I don't want to get into a "punch-up/punch-down" discussion here, but it's easier and more relatable to crack jokes about the guy making the rules than to make jest toward the peons. In the American household, the dad is still considered the head authority figure overall, and is primed for jokes in that way.

Plus, a stoic, 1950s dad wouldn't fall for money-making schemes or flit around to whatever activity strikes his fancy. A "straight man" in comedy is important, but he can only react to things. Bert without Ernie is horrifically boring. So if you're doing a comedy sitcom cartoon where you need to crank out a lot of episodes, it's good to have a main character that can be duped and have his side characters (family, friends) react to the shenanigans.

You could have the wife be in this role, but then you run the risk of making her look abusive when her schemes run afoul or when she's not there to take care of her kids. The dad's main cultural responsibility is outside of the household, so we're able to "excuse" irrational behavior more there. Homer does a lot of stupid shit, but he still is able to keep his family in a comfortable middle-class life. If he was a free loader, I think the show would be a lot harder for people to watch.

Keep in mind I don't entirely disagree with you, OP, but a lot of people complain about this without looking deeper into the surface of why it's going on the first place. Most people just mumble "muh SJWs" and that's it.
>>
>>91701684

By comparison, sure. He's still pretty quirky, objectively speaking.
>>
>>91701613
Stoic isn't a synonym for intelligence, it's for a person who doesn't show emotion or complain.
>>
>>91701669
>>91701622
How do you write a good sarcastic father figure.
>>
>>91701701
>stren
>this mistake is done twice
>>
>>91701613
Hank's sees showing nearly any kind of emotion that isn't anger as a form of weakness and even when he's mad he rather formally says "I'm going to have to kick your ass." rather than sperging out like the traditionally zany father figures do. His stoicism is one of his basic comedic character traits.
>>
Peter and Homer occasionally accomplish something, even if it's through sheer luck or stupidity

All Jerry accomplished was getting kicked out of his own house and racking up a several hundred dollar phone bill calling Taddy Mason
>>
>>91704963
*this mistake is made twice
>>
Greg Universe is GOAT cartoon dad

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>91701552
oh god I hate richard so much. Second comes Peter Ballchin. Well Homer and Jerry are retards sure but they arent dicks on purpose (at least most of the time)
>>
>>91701552
I wonder where this dumb and incompetent dad and their wifes being too good for them trope came from, did the Simpsons did first and people simply tired to copy that?
>>
>>91705075
show him some respect he had a 6 chewable figure income
>>
>>91701552
out of all of them I'd say Jerry is the best (least worst) father. Also Hiccup's from how to train your dragon dad is decent and his name is Stoic :l
>>
>>91705634
I want to say that Married with Children is probably the best example, except that show did it well since Al was a sarcastic everyman that was annoyed by his family in addition to being kind of dumb and incompetent with a wife that seemed kind of out of his league.
Granted, it's not much older than The Simpsons.
>>
>>91705634
I wonder how the opposite would turn out? A hard working intelligent man married to an attractive but virtueless woman he got pregnant.
>>
>>91701613
>I'm too fucking stupid to understand what stoic means
>>
>>91705634
Older, in animation at least you can see it all the way back to the Flintstones. That was of course just a ripoff of the honeymooners, so this shit is pretty old.
>>
>>91701552
what category does clay fall into?
>>
>>91705939
That would be perceived as sexist.
>>
>>91701971
>In the American household, the dad is still considered the head authority figure overall
the average american household doesnt include a dad anon
>>
>>91701552
I don't think jerry belong with them
he isn't particularly bright, but he isn't chaotically braindead.
>>
>>91701552
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatball has a stoic father. Bob from Bob's Burgers is generally the straight man of the family.
>>
>>91705983
It also doesn't include any kind of authority, what a coincidence.
>>
>>91705983
t. LeShawn Washington
>>
>>91706132
The child has the authority.
Especially if it's an only child.
>>
>>91706010
He actively participated in a government propaganda conspiracy on an alien planet because he was upset that his son didn't think he was smarter than his super-genius grandfather.
>>
>>91706010
Hungry for apples?
>>
>>91705983
hows that white genocide working out Mr.Perfect Race?
>>
>>91705969
Its also horrible unfunny. I hated the wife in breaking bad because she ran around accidentally sabotaging her family because she was an arrogant bitch who couldn't check her emotions.

Red and Kitty from that 70's show is a good example of a stoic father and a fuddy duddy mom.
>>
>>91706160
Jerry is a normal guy in a strange world, trying to solve his familial problems like a normal dad would when the problems themselves are ridiculous. He is a little cowardly than most, but I wouldn't say he's particularly idiotic.
>>
>>91706251
He was wrong about a science thing and when presented with easily googled evidence, he doubled down to the point of GOING TO AN ALIEN PLANET AND TELLING AN ENTIRE RACE OF ALIENS SCIENCE IS WRONG SO THAT HE COULD FEEL SMART.
>>
>>91706292
Yeah but that's real people stuff. I know people like that in reality. Hardly comparable to having a literal doughnut for a brain.
>>
>>91706204
I actually liked the wife from breaking bad, mainly because she was over-emotional and would sabotage Walt, she was fun to hate
>>
>>91706329
Different strokes. I forget if Walt ever had any other love interests but I would have rooted for them. I wanted Walt to put skyler through the meth machine.
>>
>>91706327
Just because you know real life retards doesn't make it normal.
>>
>>91705939
>what is american dad
>>
>>91706292
He was abducted.
He mostly just has a big self esteem problem. He wants people to like him and it bothers him that he isnt the person he thinks he is in his mind.
He is the least shitty father (of the four) by far.
>>
File: clDhNyL.jpg (38KB, 762x428px) Image search: [Google]
clDhNyL.jpg
38KB, 762x428px
>>91701587
>Red from That 70's Show
>Hank
>boring
>>
>>91706327
Remember that time Jerry was inside a computer simulation where everyone was glitching out like a character in a poorly made video game and instead of thinking anything was weird he was just super stoked that his boss liked the slogan "Hungry for apples?"
>>
>>91701552

Homer never used to be that though. He worked hard for his family. The rest are just idiotic.
>>
>>91706292
That is a perfectly normal feeling. Jerry suffers from being too normal in the face of extraordinary circumstances. He lets his petty emotions and mistakes get the best of him. Sorry if you're an emotionless autist.
>>91706424
He got too carried away in the string of success he was facing that he didn't bother to question it.
>>
>>91706392
Being the least braindead retard doesn't make you not retarded.
>>
>>91706462
Anon you are hard-apologizing for a lot of stupid shit, I'm sorry your family hates you and you identify with Jerry for some reason but he's a moron.
>>
>>91701581
>>91701613
Why does everybody treat Hank like he's the second coming? Have you people even watched the first two seasons?
>>
>>91706424
You dont even realize you're inside a computer simulation, don't talk shit about jerry.
>>
F is for Family
>>
>>91706498
Joke's on you nigger I'm hacking the matrix right now and tracing the magic cookie so I can leave a nastygram in your homebox.
>>
>>91701669

Bob is very much a realistic dad down to the lame puns.
>>
>>91706622
And the only time he acts like an idiot (an actual idiot not just a normal average-intelligence dude) is when he's literally angry with rage about something.
>>
>>91706562
i was just joking neuromancer, dont give me a virus.
>>
File: cloudy7Lg[1].jpg (439KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cloudy7Lg[1].jpg
439KB, 1500x1000px
>>
File: Professor_Membrane.jpg (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Professor_Membrane.jpg
30KB, 640x480px
He is the best father, Professor Membrane just wanted his boy to persue science!
>>
>>91705272
No dispute

>>91705813
>tfw read book years and years before the movie and spend entire time believing Stoick was pronounced STOY-K
>>
>>91706160
Jerry always had something agaisnt Rick so I could see him jumping at a chance to prove to his son that he's better than Rick at something. I'd say Jerry's antics are still miles better than the other dads in the image.

You have Richard whose fat, unbelievably dumb and does nothing but laze around at home eating food and watching tv all day (granted it was his mother's fault for him becoming that way after sheltering him SO MUCH when his father left) . He can never improve because the show's writers want to maintain the status quo, he got fit twice became fat again, got a job then lost it and I dont think we've had a smart Richard episode yet but the point is hes forever doomed to be the way he is. In addition to that the only reason he's even with Nicole is because she realised that every other option turned out to be worse in the end. The whole reason gumball's family is poor in the first place is because he spent all their money on a star. (but i can let that one slip since the internet JUST came out when he did that and had no clue what a scam was)

I don't think I really need to talk about all the stupid shit peter does on a daily basis.

Even though homer himself is an idiot, overweight, gets constantly drunk and does stupid things. He can still hold down a job and doesn't just laze around the house all day which makes him better than Richard and while he maybe in an idiot he pales in comparison to peter and richard.

Jerry is a spineless coward who is very insecure about himself and does end up making dumb decisions at times but hes not a straight up retard like the other dads. He doesn't spends loads of money on useless junk like peter, drinks a lot of beer like homer and peter, eats a ton of food and get fat like them. Hell he even got a job when the galactic federation took over earth and became the bread winner (for a short while)

Tl:DR from best to worst dad out of the four
Jerry>Homer>Richard>Peter
>>
File: HardDay.jpg (46KB, 600x549px) Image search: [Google]
HardDay.jpg
46KB, 600x549px
I would love a capable father figure. Doesn't have to be stoic. Just fucking competent and supportive. This imbecile manchild bullshit spawned from sitcoms.
>>
>>91706765
>He doesn't spends loads of money on useless junk like peter
Someone's forgetting that time he spent a shit ton of money on Taddy Mason.

>Hell he even got a job when the galactic federation took over earth
You can't honestly try to pass this off as an accomplishment, the entire point of that plot was showing that Jerry excels at being a mindless cog who doesn't question anything and just does what's expected of him regardless of how stupid it is.

I'll give you that he's less retarded and useless than the others, but he's far from being even moderately competent or intelligent.
>>
>>91706908
Read the thread.

Hank Hill
Bob
Dad from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

They're not common but they exist.
>>
>>91706908
I've met IRL father's who try to emulate the stereotype. Jack Black is also a popular character for some men to try and act like.
>>
>>91706908
Is Stan from Gravity Falls a capable father figure?
>>
Cleveland was a decent example until Seth turned him into Black Peter for his spinoff.
>>
>>91706908
The Grandpa in Ben 10
Mr Incredible
Professor Utonium
Dexter dad maybe? (he's not too bright but he's not dumber than average in his world)
>>
>>91706925
>Someone's forgetting that time he spent a shit ton of money on Taddy Mason.
Don't forget his collection of R2-D2 coins. Even Shit-Eating Rick realized that was a bad investment.
>>
>>91707159
I still consider those to be far less costly than the peter blimp, the giraffe and the retarded horse :/
>>
My favorite kind of dads in TV are the ones who are dopey but are still intelligent/have common sense and still mean well. Herman from The Munsters, original Homer/Peter, and Al.
>>
>>91706385
>Stan
>Intelligent
Later season Stan & Francine are both a lot more childish and idiotic than they were from 2005-2008.
Hell, season 1 Stan was basically just a strawman against Republicans and acted like an idiot.
>>
This is the best sitcom dad EVER. Prove me wrong.
>>
File: Hal-malcolm-in-the-middle.jpg (162KB, 796x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Hal-malcolm-in-the-middle.jpg
162KB, 796x1000px
>>91707328
Damn. Forgot the picture
>>
I liked Terry Crews' role on Everybody Hates Chris.
>>
>>91707347
Well you're right, so...
>>
>>91707248
Eh, Rick & Mort's world seems slightly more grounded, sci-fi rigmarole aside. Sitcom rules of "main character has effectively infinite money to fund shenanigans" apply to Rick rather than Jerry, except the infinite money is more like infinite universes. Lois will go "You bought a RETARDED HORSE?!" but by the end of the episode, or knowing FG by the end of that scene, they all forget about it.

Jerry lost his job because he was dumb enough to try his HUNGRY FOR APPLES? pitch IRL, and then at least once an episode after that, somebody in the family would go "get a job." His unemployment had actual consequences for them, whereas the other dads are more irresponsible, but they're irresponsible in a zero-consequences world.
>>
File: you know what this means.gif (460KB, 320x250px) Image search: [Google]
you know what this means.gif
460KB, 320x250px
The issue is that formulas, risk-aversion, and statistics stand in the way of original writing.

Originality has a rather large enemy.
>>
>>91701552
Jerry.
He is not stupid, he is just a pushover, uncreative, average intelligence man, surrounded by geniuses.
>>
>>91707809
>He is not stupid
No anon, he is. He's not insanely stupid, but he is a moron.
>>
>>91705272
Can't, he's the most caring father in cartoon history.
>>
>>91708473
>being this delusional
>>
>>91709325
>>prove me wrong.
>>
>>91710103
Read the fucking thread
>>
>>91705794
Emphasis on had
>>
>>91710401
whose a better dad than greg?
no one mentioned itt is, thats for sure
>>
>>91706422
That's not what stoic means, dumbass.
>>
>>91706979
He is capable of certain actions, sure.
>>
>>91705272
>>91708473
>>91712974

Greg is a total pushover beta deadbeat who is homeless and lives out of a van. He was a retard who thought he could become a rockstar, and then the little bitch boy for the psycho alien Rose. He's barely even in his son's life because he let the gems basically sequester Steven away and take over as "parents". Steven has never even been to school and he's 14 with the stunted body and mind of a child.

He also has a god awful voice. I can't understand what they were thinking when they cast him.

Hank Hill and Bob Belcher are leagues above him as fathers and as characters in general.
>>
>>91701552
The dad on Moral Orel was probably my favorite /co/ dad.
>>
>>91713305
A lot of people can relate to the idea of having a deadbeat dad that still love them despite being a loser or in this case a failed musician. Me being one of them. Except drugs were involved as well.
>>
>>91706498
I realize it isn't easy to tell until you build one of your own.
http://www.simulation-argument.com/
>>
>>91701552
Wait Till Your Father Gets Home or its pilot on Love American Style's Harry Boyle is the TV dad played straight to a T.

Not an idiot, competent, hard working and sarcastic when the need calls for it. It's mostly people around him pissing him off that makes the show. Including his tinfoil hat neighbor that looks like Tom Hanks.

More importantly, some episodes end with him being right/getting the final word.
>>
>>91714374
To save you time, the core argument is that
>at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation.
>>
>>91701587
or show that he care for the kids through actions
>>
>>91713305
How is Greg a beta? He wooed a space alien who was thousands of years older than him that didn't truely understand the concept of love until he showed her, married her and then killed her with his dick. He killed rose quartz, the leader of the gem rebellion and pink diamond's killer when no one else could. Oh and he had a son. He's not a deadbeat since he owns the car wash after years of working there and even used the money he gained from working there to build the beach house which also means he's not homeless he just chooses to live elsewhere because of whatever reason. I wouldn't call him a pushover since there hasn't really been any episodes where he had to confront another adult in an argument or anything and if you're talking about the gems remember that gems are aliens with super human strength who can pull weapons out of thin air I wouldn't want to get them mad at me
>>
>>91701552

greg from steven universe is the retarded dad character trope done right.

They can be dumb but if they lean too far its shit.

Old homer had a good balance too I think.
>>
>>91715527
Are you okay
>>
At least none of these fathers are as terrible as Goku
>>
>>91702631
I don't understand why people have such a boner for this show. I guess it's like Seinfeld, it's only funny if you haven't seen all the shows that copied it before watching it.
>>
>>91714670
greg isn't even retarded, he just knows when he's faced with weird scifi shit bend his kenning. while he makes some mistakes, he's the most emotionally intelligent character in the shoe
>>
>>91714635
He was basically one of Rose's many groupies. She saw him as a toy and a means to achieving her expireiment of experiencing humans and becoming a human herself. He in no way killed her. She purposefully abandoned everyone and he was totally fine with that.

If this were a situation in real life, Greg would be the type of guy who wasted his time trying to become a musician, only to knock up a slutty crazy woman who then leaves him with the kid, and he hands it off to her lesbian friends to raise instead while he lives as a homeless beach bum.
>>
>>91701971
you win
>>
>>91706908
Greg in Steven Universe is pretty capable despite being an human with no superpowers. Also, he's one of the most likable characters in a show that people like to pretend is misandrist propaganda.
>>
File: Goofy.svg.png (137KB, 690x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Goofy.svg.png
137KB, 690x1024px
>Ctrl F
>no resuts found for Goofy

I cant beleve you missed out on the most hard working dad in animation
>>
>>91708066
He's more stubborn and naive than outright stupid.
>>
>>91702541
He complains about bobby all the time and always gets upset when you shit on propane. He also isn't very intelligent
>>
>>91706622
i always saw it this way
Bob is a normal character placed into a cartoon world.
Just like Frank Grimes
>>
>>91706487
Neither of them was praising Hank. They were merely pointing him out as being the stoic father type.
>>
>>91701552
stoic dad to foil wacky mom and troublesome chilun's is the only way
>>
File: IMG_3356.png (471KB, 645x767px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3356.png
471KB, 645x767px
Definitely not stoic, but a good ‘dad’ character nonetheless.
>>
File: latest.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
> He'd rather have a beer than be Father of the year
>>
>>91701971
You know, this is one of the things I really like about American Dad. The traditional cartoon dynamic isn't so straightforward.

Francine is dumb, really fucking dumb. Stan plays the straight man in response to her, because more often than not she's still not sure what's actually happening in any given moment. But at the same time Stan's arrogance can lead him into doing really stupid shit, "wrong for the right reasons", and so the role of straight man is passed over to Francine as she has to deal with Stan's stupid shit. They have this really great chemistry of being assholes, being loving, being stupid, and being rational.

It keeps them from being driven too far down one particular hole, such as Homer going from loving but irresponsible father to life-ruining asshole.
>>
>>91701971
Well-reasoned, polite discourse like this is what keeps my thin shred of hope in 4chan, and /co/, remaining.

Thanks anon
>>
Brak Show had the best dad.
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>91705966
Human trash
>>
>>91718583
You're not supposed to listen to manlets anon
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.