[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't cartoons/video games ever do Thanos justice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Marvel Thanos.jpg (276KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Marvel Thanos.jpg
276KB, 1500x1000px
I don't see the movies being any different either
>>
>>91680570
Because Thanos is a difficult character to write and doesn't actually do much physical combat. It's the same reason only like 3 comic book writers can handle him.
>>
Cartoons? Probably just down to poor execution. Either the shows aren't serial/dramatic enough to take full advantage of the material or are constrained by the belief of most executives that cartoons must all be for children. I see no reason you couldn't do it well in a cartoon on paper.

With video games it's probably because video games are too fundamentally different a form of media to translate other mediums easily. The things that make a good traditional narrative effective tend to be in conflict with the things that make a game good. Equally a game can have a sophisticated and interesting narrative component that simply cannot be replicated in non-interactive media. People need to kinda give up on the basing games on movies/movies on games thing.

I mean if you forced me into it I would probably do a pretty text heavy CRPG in the vein of Baldurs Gate/Pillars of Eternity to do Thanos justice as a character. But that isn't going to be a viable product. Licenced games tend to be very basic by necessity and just use the licence as a skin and stitch the playable sequences together with fanservicey cutscenes due to the target market.
>>
>>91680570
Because he has been built up so much as this huge end-boss villain, so tons of people want to use him, only they don't realize he's not someone you want to just have a straight-up punch-out with at the end of your story.
Thanos requires his own motivations, story threads and a grander narrative over all. But that actually takes effort to set-up and develop.
So instead he is behind some evil thing again, the heroes beat him up, the end. THE EPIC THANOS STORY FOR ALL YOU MOVIE FANS OUT THERE IS FINALLY HERE!
>>
File: thanos reigns winpose.gif (186KB, 200x241px) Image search: [Google]
thanos reigns winpose.gif
186KB, 200x241px
Capcom Thanos is the closest thing we'll get to the Starlin iteration.
>>
>>91680570
Because in order to do so they would have to go full Starlin, and no one is going to go full Starlin when they can just go generic galactic conqueror.
>>
>>91680570
Because Thanos is only done right when he's the gary stu main character of his own story.
>>
>>91680570
Hrs honestly too complicated for what writers outside of the comics are willing to commit to. He's too much of a character for marketing and episodic stories, which is why he was never really in much outside of Starlin's comics.
The closest anyone got was the Silver Surfer cartoon, but they had to water him down heavily for it.
>>
>>91680570
Because Thanos is an inherently stupid character. His entire motivation is "PLEASE NOTICE ME, SENPAI!". Kinda hard to take him seriously in the first place, never mind make him the uber threatening final boss tier mastermind.
>>
File: thanos-withwife-noanim.gif (5KB, 175x187px) Image search: [Google]
thanos-withwife-noanim.gif
5KB, 175x187px
>>91682057
You're not wrong.
>>
>>91680653
This pretty much, Starlin thought him up as part of a psycholoy writing project in college so Thanos is a pretty layered character.

Most people just write him as an angry war mongering brute who wants to conquer the galaxy.
>>
>>91680570
>do justice
>to the galaxy's biggest cuck
>who literally cannot win

Are you complaining they don't make him lame enough?
>>
>>91685243
That's what makes him so great though. Here is one of the most dangerous, brilliant, and unrelenting creatures in the entire universe, and he is so insane that Death itself is his waifu. His ambition has led him to almost ending reality itself multiple times, yet he is so bizarre that he doesn't even know what he actually wants beyond the love of one who will never love him back.
>>
>>91685490
He's the cosmic equivalent of that guy who has a crush on some woman, and stands outside her house at night holding up a stereo playing a cheesy love song. I wouldn't call that great, but it is pretty funny.

He's so pathetic that Death-sama won't even talk to him.
>>
>>91680570
This statue gives me a hard on
>>
>>91681990
This
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.