[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do DC and Marvel look so different?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

File: marveldc.png (2MB, 900x678px) Image search: [Google]
marveldc.png
2MB, 900x678px
There's a lot of differences between Marvel and DC's heroes through their personalities, philosophies, stories, etc. but one aspect that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention are the costumes. Is it just me or does Marvel's heroes always have a completely different design philosophy when it comes to the costumes compared to DC? I can't really put my finger on why, though. Even Captain America, who was in the Golden Age, looks totally different from the others. Is it the saturation of colors on DC's heroes? The fact that they look so much more like costumes rather than uniforms (although that doesn't explain Wolverine and Spider-Man which have very costume-like costumes, and still don't look like they would belong in DC's world)?

Maybe it's just because I'm used to these characters not existing in the same universe at all, but I just can't help but feel like there's something totally different with them. I can believe Batman exists in the same world as Aquaman, but not Wolverine. I could even believe Spawn exists in the same world as Spider-Man, but not Cyborg. I could believe Mr. Incredible exists in the same world as Superman, but not Iron Man.

Does anybody else know what I'm talking about? They both feel so different but I can't tell why.
>>
>>91664668
Yo dog, those cartoons still have the same designs from the comics anyways. Still look equally different.

>>91664700
thanks
>>
Most Marvel characters were designed by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Their unique preferences and art style had a major impact on the studio, not just in the many characters they personally designed but also on what their coworkers did.

In DC the designs were created more individually by a lot of different people, so they're less consistent in design philosophy.
>>
A lot of DC characters undergo minor revisions over the years, it's rare to see a total switch that sticks outside of examples like Flash and Green Lantern. The "new" versions though have basically stayed the same since they were created in the 50s.
>>
>>91664769
>so they're less consistent in design philosophy.
I dunno if I'd say that. Superman and Batman have really similar costumes, and Aquaman doesn't look unalike from Jay Garrick's Flash.

Maybe it's more like each Marvel character was designed with a consistent artstyle due to having similar artists, while DC's heroes were largely inspired by Superman's design? I feel like a lot of DC's designs were partly based on Superman as a foundation, then moved to other elements to give the character more uniqueness. But I just thought of that and I'm tired so I probably don't know shit idfk
>>
>>91664534
Golden Age heroes had a variety of costumes even though due to the popularity of Superman and Captain Marvel you saw a lot of capes and trunks. Captain America is no different than Aquaman in regards to having a costume that doesn't mesh with the popular idea of a Golden Age costume. You do have some design differences due to the fact that a lot of Marvel characters only date to the Silver Age, which had it's own popular design aesthetic derived from then current science fiction, but again you see characters from both companies sporting the aesthetic and ones that bucked the trend.
>>
It's the Symbol, OP.

DC's characters carry a symbol of their powers, their logo on their chest.

Marvel's are just iconic people in iconic costumes.
>>
>>91664534
Marvel is basically a dumb down version of DC
Marketed towards the lowest common denominator

Autist who only responds to vivid colors
>>
>>91664534
One of the bigger differences is in how they portray civilians

Marvel civilians are regularly portrayed as spiteful pieces of shit while DC civilians actually like most of their heroes. That alone sets a very different tone.
>>
>>91664935
>iconic people
pfffffffft
>>
>>91664972
That explains Suicide Squad
>>
>>91664534
I would say that it's just philosophy behind characters.

You have the gods among mortals in DC and the mortals trying to be gods in Marvel. Which you can kinda see in the body types of the characters as well. Most of the time you're going to see muscular well defined characters in DC than you see in Marvel. Remember also that many of the important Marvel characters are scientists and have a more slim body-type.
>>
>>91665010

Hulk is a green dude. That's what I mean.
>>
>>91664999

I think OP is refering to aesthetics only. If not, then this dude gets it >>91665082.
>>
Marvel supposed to be character that we can related to while DC characters that we can inspired to.
>>
>>91664935
This, the only marvel characters i can think of who has a symbol are Spider-Man fantastic four and the x-men while every hero at dc has some symbol you can ralate to them. Even their villains have symbols or items that they can be identified by.
>>
>>91665082
The scientist thing is interesting, because some of Marvel's most well-known characters are famous primarily for their intellect (and its practical implications) - Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Hank Pym, etc.

Meanwhile in DC you have characters who are just as smart, like Batman, but for whom it's a secondary characteristic.

If you told a somewhat-casual to name three Marvel supergenius heroes I'm fairly sure they wouldn't struggle. Meanwhile in DC it would likely be a different story, as the characters famous for being smart tend to be B-listers or below (Mr. Terrific, Will Magnus, Ray Palmer, etc.)

In that regard, someone like Black Panther, with a rich backstory that only tangentially involved his intellect, would fit more the DC "downplay super scientists" model. Meanwhile someone like Ted Kord, who's superpower is being really smart and having fun with it, is basically Hank Pym in spirit and would fir more at Marvel.
>>
>>91665238
So basically all of Marvel's first-string characters for most of its existence? You're also forgetting that Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Quicksilver, Hank Pym, and to some extent Thor all featured symbols that relate to them?
>>
>>91664534
DC heroes have more archetypal super hero designs. The ones that tend to be referenced more outside of them. Marvel heroes tend to be more experimental and distinct from eachother. This is to be expected since most of DC's major characters were created 20 years prior to most of Marvel's.
>>
>>91665317
ehhhh not really, Captain has an A I guess but its not as iconic as the S shield or the Bat. The rest dont really have symbols.
>>
>>91665317
>all of Marvel's first-string characters
>implying Hulk wasnt first string
>>
>>91665749
I'd say Cap's Shield is his symbol.
>>
>>91665166
>>91665082
>>91665298
this is retarded, the gods among men thing is so so dumb and casual. Its just simply not true.
>>
>>91665775
>>91665749
see, cant even agree on what his symbol is
>>
>>91665317
The X-Men have a symbol but it isn't personal. You don't know anything about the difference between Cyclops, Wolverine, and Angel from the X. You get it from other parts of their design. The claws, the visor, the wings. With Superman, Batman, Flash or even Wonder Woman you know it by the symbol. Even their uniform symbol, the lantern symbol for GL, informs the powers AND group.
>>
>>91665799
Wow, the whole system crumbles because 2 people can't agree.

I say superman's symbol is his underwear
>>
>>91665799
The shield is the symbol it's the most iconic part of his uniform in the same way that Thor's hammer is the most iconic part of his
>>
>>91665906
I agree
>>
>>91664534
A lot of DC heroes simply have logos on their chests and capes, whereas that's pretty uncommon in Marvel's main ensemble, especially a combination of the two.
>>
>>91664534
Marvel heroes were created with like 20 years of DC history behind them, and Kirby/Ditko were being really experimental with what superheroes looked like.

DC heroes created after Marvel came into existence have more modern costumes.
>>
>>91665082
>You have the gods among mortals in DC and the mortals trying to be gods in Marvel

I hate this meme
>>
>>91665082
>You have the gods among mortals in DC and the mortals trying to be gods in Marvel.

This meme will never die
>>
>>91666360
>>91667811
Its like people only judge each universe off just one character and ignore the rest that shape it.
>>
>>91665082
>You have the gods among mortals in DC and the mortals trying to be gods in Marvel

Give me two examples of this from each side.
I'll help you
DC
>Superman
>???
Marvel
>?????
>??????????????????

Who wants to be a god in the Marvel universe aside from Dr Doom, a goddamn villain.
>>
>>91667881

The "Gods among mortals" thing barely works for Superman either because he isn't pretending to be Clark. He is Clark.
>>
>>91665298
The problem with genius characters and how many of them Marvel has is twofold:

1. They're really easy to fuck up. The genius character is only as smart as the person writing them is, technobable notwithstanding. If the writer has to resort to giving genius characters the idiot ball in order to tell a story, they've already failed.

2. The whole "if they're so smart (and rich!), how come they haven't cured cancer?" bullshit. You have to practice caution and hold back on the smartest-man-alive character wanking, otherwise it'll ring false.
>>
>>91665082
>hurr durr Marvel is men pretending to be gods and DC is gods pretending to me men
aaaaaaand I'm fucking triggered.

I seriously fucking hate that saying.
>>
>>91668056

It doesn't make any fucking sense. Most DC heroes got their powers from freak accidents or being chosen by something when they were mostly normal people before

Meanwhile at Marvel half their heroes are mutant freaks or turbo geniuses from birth
>>
>>91667917
I think if you read civil war 2 the oath Steve explains the whole wanting to be Gods thing pretty well
>>
>>91668115
>I think if you read civil war 2

FUCKING KEK!
>>
>>91668115
Why would I read Civil War 2
>>
>>91668115
Nice try Spencer.
>>
>>91665082
when will this retarded meme end?
>>
>>91664534
>They both feel so different but I can't tell why.
The first thing to remember is that most of DC's Iconic Heroes were ACQUIRED rather than CREATED. DC is literally short for Detective Comics and they bought out OTHER comic book imprints (for example Action Comics which gave them Superman); so no only do they have a more Golden or Silver age feel (because they're mostly from BEFORE WWII).

Marvel, on the other hand, was created entirely IN HOUSE and almost entirely by a single power couple (Kirby and Lee) so they have a much more unified feel that's clearly much more Modern in it's aesthetics (coming POST Watergate).

And, if you really think about it, a lot of Marvel is a reaction (in the Punk Rock sense) to the 4 Color Comics DC popularized: Peter Parker is basically the Anti-Bruce Wayne. They're both absurdly intelligent orphans who are driven by their sense of loss ... But Bruce is wealthy, well connected, hansom, and mature while Pete is geeky, gawky, poor, and gets picked on by his classmates while being treated like a goofy kid by his co-workers and even his fellow heroes.

Bruce is an Ideal you aspire to while Pete is a loser whom you identify with (or even feel sorry for) even though they both spend their free time punching Evil in the face.

Although, having said all of that, I don't see that much difference in the coloring nor the art/writing these days ... it's mostly the same people ping-ponging back and forth between the two companies which is why most oldFags hereabouts will tell you that you're better off "following writers not characters."
>>
>>91668450
>most of DC's Iconic Heroes were ACQUIRED rather than CREATED.
>for example Action Comics which gave them Superman
But that's not true at all. Superman was pitched ans sold to National Comics which published his stories in Action Comics. They then started Detective Comics which is where Batman came from.

In actual fact very few of DC's characters were acquired from other publishers. The only ones that spring to mind is Captain Marvel Fawcett and the Charlton Comics characters.

While alot of DC's characters weren't originally created as being in the same world like Marvel's were, most were created by people in DC's employment for the one parent company.
>>
>>91668450
>>91668835
DC Comics began as National Allied Publications, which soon absorbed All-American Publications. National, which was known as DC even though that wasn't actually their name, later bought out the books and characters from Quality Comics, Charlton Comics, Fawcett Publications, Prize Publications, and WildStorm Productions.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.