[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/co/ Comic Book Shop Stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 299
Thread images: 49

File: comics.jpg (65KB, 630x472px) Image search: [Google]
comics.jpg
65KB, 630x472px
Time to share your stories -- the good, the bad, and the gnarly. I'll start.

>Be me
>Discover a comic shop has replaced an abandoned bank downtown
>Fuck yeah, let's rock
>Enter, find some guys playing magic and the owner putting up posters
>I check out the racks
>When I have about six comics in hand, owner approaches me
>He welcomes me to the shop, and tells me about the discounts on the pull box program
>"What kind of comics do you like, anon?"
>I mention I like a lot of Hickman's work, and I'm even enjoying the current Deadpool run.
>The owner smiles and said he just finished up with the Daniel Way run and "loved it."
>The fuck
>Immediately drop the six comics I was going to buy on the floor
>Walk out of the store
>Six months later it's closed
>Fucking good
>>
>>91627960
Well aren't you a charming little turd.
>>
>It's Wednesday
>Go down to the local shop
>The old lady who runs the place already has my pull bag ready
>She asks me how college is going and if I'm going to a local con this year
>Like the grandma I never had

Oh, and you're a piece of shit, OP.
>>
Trying too hard to fit it faggot.
>>
>>91628319
You're the faggot if you think Daniel Way is good.
>>
>>91627960
This>>91628007
Seriously the fuck is your problem OP
>>
>>91628931
Comic book stores in my area are rare. I wanted to support it.

The owner left me no choice, however. We all have our lines in the sand. You do too, if you think on it.
>>
>>91629047
You sound like a massive fucking tool. My LCS is a massive Marvel Hater but he still carries the books and I still shop at his shop because the owner is still genuinely nice to his customers because guess what it's just fucking opinions you god damn moron. You probably missed out on having a great store but you're too much of a pissy manbaby to deal with people liking things you don't like.
>>
>>91629176
Why would I give anyone money when their opinions genuinely offend me? That makes zero sense.

I thought /co/ like spergy stories. I've done similar stuff to Bendis at cons. I know it was awkward but I couldn't think of what else to do. Don't pretend you haven't done something similar.
>>
>>91629279
You know people cringe at you.
>>
>>91629279
No I haven't cause I'm not an autistic man child and still have my common sense of decency which you seem to be sorely lacking.
>>
File: 450852666.jpg (453KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
450852666.jpg
453KB, 1024x683px
>LCS has big back-issue sale going on
>Picked out a pile of misc. Groo issues I know I don't have
>Walking towards the counter
>See a kid and stop
>The kid is standing still, eyes glued to something
>It's one of those anime magazines, but clearly lewd
>Cover has a pretty anime girl with big-japanese-tee-tees, sundress and hat, innocence that you want to ravage
>Can't recall the name or I'd google the hell out of it
>Kid is just standing there
>Walks away
>I'm about to move on, but notice what he's doing
>He's circling the aisles, but his eyes keep shifting to the magazine's location
>"nonchalantly" passes by again. Then again. Then again
>Shark circling it's prey
>50 / 50 he's just too shy to pick it up in a packed store or he's gonna try and shoplift it
>He stops
>Turns his head and we lock eyes
>He goes bug-eyed
>Runs directly to the exit massive shame
>>
>>91629336
Because I give a shit about comics? Get fucked.

>>91629315
Why would I care?

Look I'm tired of defending this one thing. Just move on to stories like this guy >>91628079 did.
>>
>>91629397
People like hearing cringey stories about a store being owned by a bunch of assholes, not the other way around dude, that's why you're getting so much shit because you just labeled yourself a retarded manbaby.
>>
>>91627960
>Standing around in my LCS
>Talking to some other dudes (all of us in high-school)
>My fucking GYM TEACHER runs in
>Goes up to the counter
>John #1 (aka John who smokes) gets his out my Gym Teacher's Pull list
>It's like 12-15 books
>My Jaw is on the floor
>Who knew my gym teacher was a fuckin Baller.
>>
>>91629397
Why drop the comics on the floor? You didn't buy them, so you're just fucking up the guy's merchandise. Beyond any social contract, that's just a shitty thing to do to stuff that ain't yours.
>>
File: 6SpCpnV4.jpg (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
6SpCpnV4.jpg
12KB, 400x400px
>>91629315
>>91629336
>>
>>91629397
Clearly you do care that your shit disturbs people around you. Or at least you do now.
>>
File: 142.jpg (99KB, 720x602px) Image search: [Google]
142.jpg
99KB, 720x602px
>Lived in the Middle-East (Saudi Arabia)
>Comics are sold in book-stores and grocery stores
>Mainly Archie and Sonic
>A few Marvel and DC titles that get updated MAYBE once a month
>Pages in shit condition
>Open the pages
>Any woman with skin exposed or HARAM appearance is blacked out in a solid square sharpie cube
>Ink bleeds through the pages ruining it even more
Apes. A country of apes.

>>91627960
>>91629047
>>91629279
OP, you are a living testament to being a faggot. You get hyped for a new LCS, then you hear one opinion you disagree with and refuse to shop there again. It wasn't a matter of poor service or a bad experience in the environment. He said one opinion and then you dropped your shit. Waypool is shit, but the guy had to have liked other things too. Maybe chat with him and figure out his other tastes. You'd have likely discovered a compensation taste he had.

We love reading cringe stories of spergs, OP. In this case, you are the sperg villain, and deserve the ridicule
>>
>back in highschool I got suspended
>That Wednesday I decide to go to the comic shop
>I walk in and see the guy who got me suspended (vice principal)
>Turns out he was on his break or something and he reads comics
>We exchange awkward looks and both move on with our purchases
>To this day I run into the guy every Wednesday
>>
>first year of university, 18
>living away from home, depressed as a motherfucker, see this comic store on my way back to my dorm building, decide to check it out
>don't know much about comics but have heard good things about watchmen, figure I have literally nothing better to do so I may as well pick it up
>have a short talk with the store worker, I think it may have been a cute girl a little older than me, it felt nice talking to her
>buy it, leave store, go home
>only start reading it about four years later
>>
>>91629279
Ok, I'll bite. What did you do to Bendis? I don't like the man so I'm interested in what sperg-lord shit you tried to do.
>>
>>91629851
One sec, I have picture proof of this.
>>
>At least 3 sizable LCS in 5km distance from where I live
>Go to the one downtown
>Like it the least because it caters to normies and chique-geek crowd, but best for finding most current trades
>Walk in and it's crowded
>Find my what I'm looking for (Walking Dead) and run to breathing room in the back
>Area is miniscule back issue section and collectible comics
>Old dude in the back asks if he can help me with anything
>Say I'm good, strike up some conversation with him
>Mention it's a busy day for the store
>"Yeah well it's Wednesday anyway, plus you've got Marvel Now starting up. You read Marvel?"
>"Nah, not my cup of tea. More of an Image / Dark Horse guy. I am looking for Cerebus issues though."
>"Really? Well sorry man, we don't have many back issues here. Most of our stock is constantly updating for the current stuff and we've only got so much floor space."
>Just shoot the shit back and forth.
>We're essentially in the deadzone of the store.
>>
>>91629279
>Don't pretend you haven't done something similar.
I don't actually think I have, anon. You seem to be more stand-offish than most.
>>
>>91629980
>Topic shifts to #1 issues and comic pricing
>Mention how things like big events aren't worth much
>Death of Superman overprinted to hell, yet normies think it should be sell-able for like, $50
>Old dude look surprised, says I know more shit than most people who work for him
>Turns out he's the store owner since the 80's when they were in a different location
>Gets a piece of paper
>Writes down some contact info for a guy he knows with solid back issues of stuff I'm looking for
>Thank him, like, that's really cool and really appreciate it
>Ask if he recalls my Dad's name, drop the name of Dad's independent comic from back in the day
>Gives vague recollecting thought, thinks he may, but probably not
>That's cool, maybe my dad'll stop by and they can shoot the shit some more
>Leave and later find the issues I was looking for thanks to him

He recognizes me if he sees me.Don't go often because there's a closer LCS to my house that's cool. But it's nice knowing I'm recognized.
>>
File: bendisauto.jpg (32KB, 696x363px) Image search: [Google]
bendisauto.jpg
32KB, 696x363px
>>91629851
Ok, so this was one of my first cons, at least ten years back at Pittsburgh Comic-Con. Bendis was there and he was hot off of the first arc of the New Avengers where he put Wolverine and Spider-Man in. I fucking hated him for ruining the Avengers (they haven't really recovered since) so I decided to fuck up his day.

I didn't want him to sign any comics of mine, so I had a little notepad with me. I told him I was new to cons (I was) and I didn't have any comics for him to sign, but could he sign my notepad. To his credit he smiled and said "No problem."

After he signed it I pulled out a New Avengers #1 from my back pack and I ripped it up in front of him and the fans behind me. I threw it like confetti on his table. Bendis' handlers tried to get me to pick it up but I ran out the door; I did everything I wanted to do that day anyway.

I still have his signature on my desk to remind me.
>>
>>91630088
Who's your father?
>>
File: 1369784889923.png (255KB, 354x367px) Image search: [Google]
1369784889923.png
255KB, 354x367px
>Big sale going on that's been advertised for 2 weeks
>Know that there's gonna be a big Napoleonic board game on sale for around 75% off retail
>It's normally 200 USD MSRP
>Gonna go for it, the owner knows this.
>Get there 2 hours early, there's already a line
>Shop opens up
>Everything I would have bought isn't there. What the fuck.
>Find out later that the owner of the shop let the owner of a different shop come in early that day and cherry pick everything before the general public had a chance to buy anything.
>MFW
>>
File: 1513349.jpg (169KB, 600x875px) Image search: [Google]
1513349.jpg
169KB, 600x875px
>>91630125
I'm not gonna post his name. He just did a bit of art for a few issues of a self-published title. The comic was called Fog City and was a sci-fi sorta anthology thing.
>>
>>91630118
Just out of curiosity, do you know the reason you have such strong emotions related to comics?
>>
>>91630186
Fuck that looks cool. I want that comic.
>>
File: concentrate.jpg (6KB, 251x189px) Image search: [Google]
concentrate.jpg
6KB, 251x189px
>>91630118
I think Bendis is a hack but this story better not be real. Your own story has him being a nice guy and you fucked up his table for no reason.

Why are you such a burden on society?
>>
File: fogcity1b.jpg (161KB, 545x766px) Image search: [Google]
fogcity1b.jpg
161KB, 545x766px
>>91630241
It only ran for 3 issues, trying to figure out what it would actually do. It was part of the underground comic scene. Most of the time the covers are absolutely bitching, but the stuff inside is just sort of mediocre.

This gives a pretty accurate description of the series.
http://comixjoint.com/fogcitycomics.html
>>
File: TeethGrating.jpg (6KB, 229x200px) Image search: [Google]
TeethGrating.jpg
6KB, 229x200px
>>91627960
>Immediately drop the six comics I was going to buy on the floor
>>
File: auto.jpg (193KB, 698x896px) Image search: [Google]
auto.jpg
193KB, 698x896px
>>91630298
No, it's real. I got other signatures that day too.

I don't know why you think I'm a burden on society when all I did was through some worthless paper on a guy's desk.
>>
>>91629397
>I give a shit about comics?
You don't. You decided that storming out without an explanation was more important than supporting and buying the work produced by the people who actually made the comic.
In fact, for all you know, you perhaps passed on helping a very nice owner who came to you and engaged in a conversation. And rather than discussing your views opposing his, you sperged out.

You don't care about comics. You care about havign your little mindset validated. And that's the behavior of a piece of shit.
>>
File: 1272571450068.jpg (100KB, 600x429px) Image search: [Google]
1272571450068.jpg
100KB, 600x429px
>>91630413
Fuck it, I'm mad. I've met Bendis twice at cons. I don't like everything he's done but he could not be a nicer person to the public. You are a piece of shit.

You are everything they make fun of on The Big Bang Theory.
>>
>>91627960
OP is a faggot
>>
>>91627960
>be me
>own a comic store
>some fat neckbeard walks
>not lots of customers, have to work hard to appease all of the potential clients
>approach fat autistic manchild to see if I can get him to buy something
>says he likes normiepool
>blood is boiling inside but I need all the customers I can get
>try to get in the normie mindset so I tell him I like the Waypool run
>fucking faggot walks right out without buying anything
>>
>>91629596
It would've been a lot funnier if they used the sharpie to draw a burqua on them.
>>
File: 1319940633908.jpg (99KB, 500x502px) Image search: [Google]
1319940633908.jpg
99KB, 500x502px
This one goes over a span of three years so I'll try to do the cliff notes.

>A comic shop opens up just a few blocks from my family's restaurant.
>Like a dream come true
>My dad knows the property owner -- he was so psyched to have it occupied, he gave the shop keeper two months free rent
>Six months later, I notice the comic rack isn't updating as much as it used to
>Shop keeper talks about Diamond being a bunch of pricks
>Shop keeper randomly asks me if I want to buy the store from him one day (he knows my family owns the restaurant down the street)

>I learn from a part-time employee that he is essentially working there for free, since the shop keeper knows the guy is on probation and he needs the job to see his daughter.
>The shop keeper essentially has free labor and free rent, but he can't pay Diamond
>Other nerds in the area won't go there because he gets mad when they don't buy enough comics or Hero Clix

>The owner asks me to co-sign a loan for him
>I'm fucking 19 years old at this time.
>One day the cops come down the street and arrest him
>He'd been forging checks for years
>Apparently the shop was a way for him to funnel money through or something, mafia rumored to be connected
>Just got out of federal prison last year
>The guy says he's going to start another comic shop
>OhBoy.jpg
>>
>>91630118
This is one of the most pathetic things I've ever read on this webforum. You destroyed your own property and littered. Neat.
>>
>>91630825
That's kinda neat anon, like an 80s style kid's film.
>>
>>91630511
The fact that you think Bendis is an okay writer and you like him invalidates your opinion.

Oh, and a Big Bang Theory joke, nice one faggot.
>>
>>91630894
Thanks. I thought the way I told it was a bit of a mess. I still wonder what happened to that part-time guy. He was trapped at that job because he needed it, and I know the owner kept saying his paycheck was coming, but he had him by the balls. That guy loved comics too, and probably would have bought out the store if he had the money.

>>91630892
I think you're missing out on a key factor here. OP fucking BOUGHT a New Avengers #1 and ripped it up in front of Bendis.

You put money in his and Marvel's pocket, you stupid queer. Ripping it up does nothing after the fact.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>91630825

>The owner asks me to co-sign a loan for him
>I'm fucking 19 years old at this time

I don't know why I find that hilarious anon. Probably just me imagining he's saying it with a straight face and expecting you to be dumb enough to say "yes"
>>
>>91631018
After the first few months, I think I was his main customer, and every few weeks he'd ask me if I wanted to buy the store from him. He assumed because my family had a respected restaurant that I was loaded.

I won't lie, that shit was tempting. To own my own comic shop is a dream of mine. But I had enough sense to see all the red flags under this guy's operation.
>>
File: cbe.jpg (10KB, 200x235px) Image search: [Google]
cbe.jpg
10KB, 200x235px
>>91630821
A Saudi Arabian with a sense of humour like that is a rare thing.
A Saudi Arabian censor with a sense of humour does not exist.

Fun is an endangered species in that country.
>>
>>91631119
Saudis can be cool comic bros. It's just that their culture is shit.
>>
>Be Thursday, April 6, 2017
>Be me, on a mission to get X-Men Gold #1
>This was before word really got out about the controversy
>Thursday also happens to be game day at LCS, where all the neckbeards n' weebs come out to play board games
>I've only been to this place maybe two times before on a Thursday, I seriously try to avoid coming on game night
>Walk up to comic shop and opens the door
>Before I take one step in, the smell of sweat overwhelms me, I almost threw up right there
>The smell never been as powerful before
>Normally I go on Wednesday when nobody is there
>Think "this will all be worth it, Anon. This comic will be a collectors item in the future!"
>To get to the comics at LCS, one must walk through the area where the neckbeards n' weebs are
>There are at least 60 of 'em.
>Maybe 25 are extra large Anons dripping wet with sweat
>There are small puddles of sweat on the floor
>As I approach the tables, the smell becomes more powerful that you can possibly imagine
>My eyes begin to water and I breath through my mouth
>Finally make it over to the rack where X-Men normally is
>Sold out
>I scream internally
>As I make my way back, I begin to slip in sweat puddle
>I catch myself before I could hit the ground.
>CrisisAverted.jpg
>As I walk out disappointed and disgusted, I hear the two people at the counter talking
>One is cute emo-like girl
>One is extra large Anon
>"Something smells in here, like, really bad."
>"Really? It smells fine to me."
>>
File: HICH169a.jpg (24KB, 401x401px) Image search: [Google]
HICH169a.jpg
24KB, 401x401px
>Pretty good speaking terms with my LCS, can start a conversation with the guys behind the counter
>Been a regular there for the past decade
>Year and a half ago, hanging out in store, pulls in hand
>The door jingles open
>Enter the Spicy Memer
>High-school kid, custom pepe t-shirt, Trump MAGA pins on his backpack, shorts half-way up his thighs in the middle of winter
>The first thing he does is walk up to the POP vinyl wall
>Turns his head an yells across the room if the store has the giant Discord MLP one
>"No. Please don't yell"
>Runs around the store
>Comes back with Deadpool, Gwenpool, Spider-Gwen, Civil War II, and more
>Clerk bro rings him up
>"Man, wouldn't it be super cool if there was a Pepe POP?"
>"Sure. Ok. That'll be $dollars."
>"Lol (he says it out loud) Thanks, bye!
>He leaves out the door
>Stops outside the main window to look at one of the posters that caught his eye
>Starts picking his nose
>Just mining for a gold nugget, oblivious that we can see from the other side
>>
>>91627960
>walk in to comic shop
>mother wanted to tag along because she was interested in what I was buying
>just grab a few copies of Dracula's Gantlet
>see people set up at a table doing some kind of signing
>have one track mind, so just pay and leave
>latter mom says that it was apparently people who worked on the walking dead

To this day I'm not sure if it really was or not, she makes mistakes like that all the time. I don't even care for the walking dead, but it would have still be cool if it was really them.
>>
>>91631593
That must've been marvelous to see such a creature up close.
>>
>>91631593
People like this just make me uncomfortable. Maybe because I was a little too close to this edge as a kid, I don't know.
>>
File: LkARIDr.png (137KB, 526x436px) Image search: [Google]
LkARIDr.png
137KB, 526x436px
>>91631645
You have no idea

>>91631593
>Finally puts away his pick-axe and disappears
>"Well, that was pleasant"
>We both hope he'll never show up again

>Comeback the next week
>Ask how Clerk-Bro is doing
>Gives me this look of exhaustion
>Apparently I just missed our new best friend
>Say I'm sorry he has to put up with that
>"No Anon, he's OUR new best friend"
>"haha. Wat?"
>Supposedly, Meme-Lord has decided this is his new favorite place in the world
>He got a pull-box and has like 12 different Marvel, DC titles and cartoon comic adaptations
>Fuck. He's gonna be a regular isn't he?
>Exactly
>Since then, I have the pleasure of seeing him every other time I visit the store
>>
>>91631751
>Me and clerk-bro can be having a conversation, then all of a sudden there's laughter from the back of the store
>He runs to us, cackling with phone up
>"OMG! This meme is so funny! Look!"
>It's not even that funny as memes go, just shitty captchas or dumb Family Guy level violence
>We have kept telling him that we don't think it's funny
>He laughs and retreats to his dark corner
>Somehow he thinks we're messing with him and that we actually really like him
>We don't
>>
>>91629980
>Dark Horse lover
>not many back issues

I feel your pain, anon. LCSs around here order maybe two of the new Usagi's every month.

Mignola stuff is a little better, but not by much
>>
>>91627960
>Be me
HOLY SHIT THANKS FOR REMINDING ME THAT IT WAS ACTUALLY YOU RETELLING THAT STORY AND NOT SOMEONE ELSE
can't you people just drop this shit?
>>
>>91631884

Okay we get it faggot, now go update your blog.
>>
File: wake_me_up_by_mrlorgin-d9o5uzv.png (623KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
wake_me_up_by_mrlorgin-d9o5uzv.png
623KB, 1024x576px
>>91631884
>Tries to make new "friends" with other customers
>"Image comics? Those are so gay. Why don't you read something good?"
>"Blacksad? More like BLACKBAD! Where da hood at, my fursona!"
>"Marvel event titles are the best! It's so smart that they center all their comics to be written around each other"
>Customers unaffended yet, Everyone just gives him the cold shoulder
>Clerk-Bro has told him directly that he needs to watch his mouth in the store
>Clerk-Bro would tell him to fuck off and never return, but this kid is dropping serious cash on a monthly basis, good for the store
>Kid still laughs thinking it's a joke
>We both slowly believe he's taking our hints now that his behaviour is atrocious
>Holding some small Pandora's Box speck of hope that he'll realize he's making a fool of himself and calm down in public
>Either that or he just goes away and never returns
>Still an insufferable gnat

And that's my LCS life at this moment
>>
>>91631944
>But me am I!
>"Be me" situates our agency in today's post-modern blur of the self
>"Be me" therefore, I am
>>
>>91629369
It amuses me that there's a stock photo for hentai.
>>
>>91630413
I hope you're banned. That's just a shitty thing to do to a creator that visits your town.
>>
>Take cousin to LCS
>Hes curious about comic books, so I try to show him some stuff while Im their browsing
>Spot this guy I recognized from college, real fucking weirdo this one. Like the most socially awkward school shooter type you can think of. Had a class with him once, Mike Hawthorne was nice enough to visit us, hes the kind of asshole to ask autistic questions about Superman/Wonder Woman hooking up.
>Anyway getting off track, fucker is taking up the entire aisle kneeling down. We have to step over his fat ass crack to get by
>Start thumbing through trades and my cousin and I both sniff it. The smell. The kind of smell thats a mix of body odor and shame.
>Try to finish up/ignore it, fucker walks by us and we try to avoid his disgusting steampunk goggle sporting, fingerless glove wearing greasy ass.
>Buy comics, leave store, return to car
>My cousin now witnesses the bad kind of comic fag that frequents LCSs
>>
>>91631913
I'm fortunate enough to live in a major urban centre where there's multiple comic shops. That shop I mentioned in particular just maximizes its floor space for new stuff and merch and has a teeny-tiny back-issue section.

I've got no trouble finding Dark Horse stuff in my other locations though, so I'm fortunate in that regard

>Usagi Yojimbo
My nigga
>>
File: smug 1.jpg (47KB, 510x551px) Image search: [Google]
smug 1.jpg
47KB, 510x551px
>>91629279
>Don't pretend you haven't done something similar.
This is what aspies actually believe.
>>
>>91632138
I hope you made it clear to him that he was in the presence of a living stereo-type, and encouraged him be better than that.
>>
File: Question Dale.jpg (14KB, 300x255px) Image search: [Google]
Question Dale.jpg
14KB, 300x255px
>>91632247
Oh thankfully he knew better. And I wouldnt worry about him becoming that, hes shockingly becoming more and more like Dale Gribble each day
>>
>>91632138
>>91631403
Do people not have two brain cells to rub together to make a decision to fucking shower right before they leave to go anywhere? I feel like a slimeball even if I shower and put on deodorant, but forget something like body spray too. And that's just for running errands.

Anyways, I have a story.

>Go to LCS on a cold, rainy day, figuring I can just grab what I'd like and go.
>See a mom with her two kids, she's got an older teen shopping who's, but she's also brought her other bratty kid who's just tearing stuff off the shelves while mom is busy on her phone.
>Mom gets pissy after counterbro tells her to control her feral little rugrat. Older kid just wants to browse and clearly looks like he's wanting to go ASAP in that skittish embarrassed way.
>I pity the kid but don't really want to get involved, ignoring the three until I hear a loud bang. Turns out the rugrat knocked a shelf over, indies and Image everywhere. Mom is only NOW embarassed and drags both kids out without making a purchase.
>I figure helping counterbro out with cleaning shit up isn't too much hassle, the guy says something about them coming by every month or so. I ask what's the mom's problem, he clearly has no idea, but mentions that he had to ask them to stop bringing food into the place after the kid got a slurpee everywhere.
The fuck is with people bringing their bratty, misbehaved kids with them everywhere?
>>
>live in a rural town growing up
>play magic at the LCS every Friday but it's a long drive from my house
>don't have any money to buy floppies every week
>fast forward to college
>another small town
>have money now
>only LCS is combined with a games store
>they only have the Marvel Events, Batman, Superman, etc.
>no trades

Maybe when I graduate I'll move to somewhere with an LCS
>>
>>91632466
*An older teen who's browsing the shelves
>>
File: usagi by blacksad guy.jpg (94KB, 564x795px) Image search: [Google]
usagi by blacksad guy.jpg
94KB, 564x795px
>>91632179
I'm jealous. You'd think in Chicagoland there'd be more, right? It's mostly Graham cracker comic and others are further out of the way.

>Usagi Yojimbo
no, you're MY nigga
I feel dirty picking it up though, like some sort of wannabe furry. But I can't get enough of well-written stories.
>>
>>91631403
X-Men Gold #1 first prints will be collectible only because of the controversy. Even then, can you really have faith someone will want it or care about the controversy in a few years, if not months, time? I'd guess it'd only go up in value by a couple bucks. Few things are collectible these days.

That said, I understand what you've gone through running that kind of pungent gauntlet.
>>
>>91632466
Yeah I feel disgusting if I dont shower in the morning. I think some get to a point in their tragic lives that they decide to stop caring about personal appearance/hygiene. As for the shitty mom, its her way of getting back at the world for her own shitty life choices/poor parenting. Its like those fucking assholes who bring young kids to late night or mature rated movies. If the counterbro had any balls, he'd ban them from the store
>>
>>91627960

Your an idiot OP

You could have told him that if you like Way so much you'll love Duggan he makes Deadpool amazing
>>
>>91628079
Shit you have the nicest comic book store, anon.
>>
>>91628723

You're the faggot if you think a difference in opinion is worth abandoning a store for. Fuck he was probably just being welcoming.

I give my LCS guy shit for his taste every week. And he makes fun of me for reading books he has to order just for me.
>>
>>91632466
Showering and deodorant only goes so far when your unwashed clothes reek of mildew. The rabbit hole goes deeper than you think.
>>
>>91630413

Back then he was still doing shit like Alieas, Powers, Daredevil, USM etc. He still had a largely good body of work.

You're just the worst single cliche possible.
>>
File: FEB150046-01._QL80_TTD_.jpg (211KB, 600x947px) Image search: [Google]
FEB150046-01._QL80_TTD_.jpg
211KB, 600x947px
>>91632539
Don't feel dirty about it anon. It's just a solid comic written and drawn by a guy who loves creating it. The only furry thing about it is that the characters are animals. That's it. Usagi was made in a time when animal funny books were being pumped out of the underground. It's just a comic about Japanese samurai stories. Stan writes whatever he feels like. Gang-plots, culture, occasional magic, folklore. Furry sex and fetish is about the last thing to think about with this series. It's just good.
>>
File: 4E1.jpg (84KB, 640x985px) Image search: [Google]
4E1.jpg
84KB, 640x985px
>tfw the first Deadpool run I picked up was Way

Forgive me /co/. Anyway, I stick to getting trades online. I live 30-40mins from a LCS, which is located in the city centre.
>>
>>91633011

It's an hour ride for me ever Wednesday. Suck it up and get some music.
>>
>go into lcs
>pick up The Boys volume 5 and Superior Foes of Spider-Man volume 2
>one of the guys behind the counter apparently owns the store, he rings me up
>sees the Boys and goes on about how Garth actually wrote him into the book as the comic shop owner because he got him to laugh at a con
>He's usually pretty friendly so I ask if he's read any of superior foes yet
>he scoffs, "30 issues of these guys standing around talking about how they're going to kill Spider-Man? No thanks."
>I'm a little shocked
>before I can say anything, the other guy behind the counter leans away from his customer
>"This guy, right?"
>I laugh, he laughed, the person buying magic cards laughed
>owner just stares at us blankly
>>
>>91633255

Dude that LCS sounds good
>>
>>91633255

That's good stuff.
>>
>>91627960
This is pasta isn't it? I've seen this story before.
>>
>a while back me and my 12 year old brother entered a tournament for a shitty TCG and it was held at a comic book store
>get seperated as we play our games
>win first match and look around to see where brother is
>he's talking to an increasingly upset and angry landwhale that he was playing
>store employees are looking worried and trying to get my brother to walk away but he keeps on talk to the dude
>it's not helping as the dude is just getting red in the face and has tears in his eyes
>walk over and drag brother away so the store employees can work things out
>ask him what's happened
>he was beating the dude badly and the guy basically started crying and calling himself useless and acting suicidal because he was losing and my brother thought the best solution to this was to try and cheer him up by acting as his therapist when he's part of the reason this guy was getting so worked up
>trying to explain to younger brother why he wouldn't be able to help the fat manchild but he doesn't understand
>just give up and tell him to just leave him alone
>both lose our two matches and go home
>as we leave the fat guy is playing in some kind of consolation round
>to this day I'm convinced that the consolation round wasn't a planned part of the tournament but just a way to keep this guy from killing himself or my brother in the parking lot
>>
>>91632539
Chicago does have quite a few on the north end. Chicago Comics was my favorite when I was there.
>>
>>91633305
Sadly, that shop was over 30 miles away, but that's okay, because I have one in my town only 3 miles away from my house, in the theater I worked at back in high school and a little after. Speaking of.

>go into lcs to get my pull list
>spot Suicide Squad by Ostrander volume 1
>oh hell yes
>take it to the counter
>the clerk tells me that they have New 52 SS volumes 1 on the shelf if I want that one instead
>politely decline
>he pushes it again, says New 52 is better because it has nicer art
>decline again
>"But Harley isn't anywhere in the old version."
>tell him I don't really like Harley Quinn
>now he's awkward when he rings me up each week.
>>
>>91633580

Shit. I actually feel bad for that dude. Sometimes life just feels like life is shitting on you nonstop, and it's one last thing to give up. After loads of IRL shit, sucking at a game you love can be a last straw.

Or he was a manchild.
>>
>>91633691

Weird. I get an lcs pushing new merch, but they should know what's quality, and be able to understand when a person knows what they're about.
>>
Holy shit who are all you guys quoting?
>>
>>91633753
Dude is a literal numale who reads nothing but batman, I used to hang out with his older brother, he was pushing Harley, not the Suicide Squad.
>>
>>91633719
Considering that the game was the Chaotic Trading Card Game that had an extremely short lifespan, I'm betting on the latter.
>>
>>91633793

You've never seen greentext story's?
>>
>>91627960
Is that Midtown COmics in NYC?
>>
>go to the comic book store
>There is a woman in therer
>>
>>91634126
Jesus christ, I'm so sorry.
>>
>>91627960

I haven't got a story but my store just got new owners. After introductions I asked if the Rebirth trades I ordered were in my folder. He brought out the latest floppy of Batman.

Seems like a nice enough guy but I'm not hopeful /co/
>>
>>91634126
Bullshit
>>
>go to local shop
>realize I live in rural bumfuck nowhere and the only local shop closed down due to lack of business more than a decade ago
>back to the win-o thread I go
>>
>Live in popular US city
>take the bus every other week to my favorite comic book store/ game plaza
>main store has all the mainstream runs, indie stuff, huge manga collection, toys ect
>next store is a gallery that sell unique artist prints of comics, movies, video games ect
>next is a table top game store followed by a discount comic shop with all trades 50% off retail
>Constantly having prolific artist come to do signings and what not, book clubs, social nights where they get a keg and give out free beer.
>super nice staff

I love you Austin Books and Comics you guys make me feel less lonely.
>>
>>91634240

I have this shit happen all the time at my place. I have a standing orser for all Mignola trades, and it's almost always fucked up.
>>
>>91634508

Fuck you for having cool things.
>>
>>91634126
It's not nice to lie. Especially on the internet
>>
>>91634100
Sure looks like it.
>>
>>91634508
i am going to be in austin in two weeks for work. never been. i like to drink and sleep around. any suggestions?
>>
>>91634405
What happens when you realize that your Internet connection is also terrible?
>>
>be me
>me is a name I call my self
>I walk, using my legs, into a comicbook store
>I was looking to buy some comics
>I like to read comics
>comics are a medium that cobines images with text
>anyways, I was at the comicbook store
>the comicbook store sold comics
>the comics were on the shelves
>some crazy shit happened in the store
>I left without buying a comic
>wrote a greentext story with plenty of unnecessary information
>>
>>91633691
probably would not return. shit like this is why i generally trade wait.
>>
>>91634569
If it makes you feel better it's Austin so a good portion of those in geek culture identify with 75 genders.

>>91634763
Yeah, 6th will be where all the touristy and dude broh nightlife is. Easy to find drunk girls and gals and some live music but if you don't like meatheads you'll probably want Red River which is right by 6th is great for bigger rock shows and has more of a clubbing atmosphere. Good place to pick up people. (watch out for homeless though the city thought it be a great idea to put a big shelter right downtown and they are all around there looking for tourist)

Also if you're looking to hook up try Rainy street, downtown but a lot closer to Ladybird lake. That's where you'll find the upscale clubbing, and some of the prettiest faces in the city. Not always the smartest, but for a one nighter a good bet. Overall a fun place but I'm a nihilist shit that bad with the opposite sex so I mostly see shows and get drunk at dives.
>>
>be me with my non-comic reading friends
>go to lcs near my college campus
>nu-52 launched recently
>comic store running 25 cent sale liquidate stock
>shit ton of new people for sale and nu-52
>tall bookshelves throughout lcs make it a maze
>looking for o'neil's question run
>hot as shit in lcs
>stinks to high heaven
>cannot find shit
>turn the corner through this fucking maze
>my god, stars and garters
>cant believe my fucking eyes
>old woman with husband
>giving a dusty tug into a pull box on the floor
>never go to lcs again
>>
>>91634993
everything you described besides the homeless people sounds like a good place to start. thanks bro-bro!
>>
File: ishygddt.png (78KB, 240x274px) Image search: [Google]
ishygddt.png
78KB, 240x274px
>walk into the comic shop
>literal retard there, i overhear him talking to the owner about casual shit eg daredevil v punisher deathbattle
>just look around at their stock, pick up some shazam
>OH YOU A CAPTAIN MARVEL FAN
>yeah
>just buy it and walk out, minimal contact with the tard
>as i walk out i hear him start a conversation about how bvs was the best superhero "show" ever
>>
>>91629047
your "line in the sand" is so stupid
>>
>>91635185
Np. Also if you like beer, with homemade cheeses and meats there's this restaurant called Easy Tiger. Got a great list of in-house made sausages and what not. Most of the waitstaff is pretty cute too.
>>
>>91629694
lol
>>
>>91635300
that sounds like a decadent and high caloric experience. will investigate due to cheese and beer.
>>
>>91630784
kek
>>
>>91631403
>>91632569
what was the controversy?
>>
>>91635585
Check the archive. There were a fuckload of threads about it, even mainstream media picked up on it.
>>
>>91635643
SHOCK LEVELS: IMAGINED
>>
>>91632048
This kid's clearly on the spectrum, give him a little break. I'm not saying to like him, but try to be a bit more understanding?
>>
>>91635585
Artist put in a guy wearing a shirt with a Koran verse on it, something about Christians and Jews being the enemy.
>>
>>91633580
>friend got me into MtG
>we play Friday Nights at LCS
>Never had any good decks, but won here and there with luck
>Remember beating one of the older regulars
>guy complains loudly about it

I haven't went back for a while, it was during highschool which was 7 years from now. Don't think I'd do it again. I play with friends I actually know, and we always have a good time.
>>
>>91627960
>be me
>2 years ago
>commonly goto this shop in the mall
>manager and I are pretty chill
>Use to play magic when I could
>girl now working there
>pretty cute
>I'm not the creeper type (at least I hope to god I'm not)
>Talk to her when I come in, about whatever's going on lately
>been a year now since I've known her
>great her by name, same to me
>one day we're cutting up like friends
>I see a small bruise
>Lightly poke it like a silly friend would do
>she looses her shit on me for no reason
>tells me I could of popped a blood vessel or something worse
>tell her I'm sorry I was just messing around and didn't mean nothing to it
>it's dropped
>I get home
>message manager on facebook telling him what happened
>he doesn't want anything to do with it
>I stopped going there for about 3 weeks
>stopped playing magic cause I was done wasting money on this game
>find someone I knew at the mall
>he tells me that she went around spreading rumors about me about how I tried to hurt her
>I would never touch any one like that
>tell the manager
>he says that's stupid and fucked up
>I get banned from the store EVEN after I talk to the owner and the owner hears me out and I told him to check his security cams if he doesn't believe me
>Never does and I am still banned
I FOUND OUT their magic went down hill after I left. I had to explain to a bunch of people what really happened and when they heard the news, I was going to another place to play Pokemon and they actually followed me. The place is tiny and it sucks anyways. The owner is a serious introverted nerd who wont listen to anyone and is running the place into the ground. I would love to have my own place but It likely wont happen. I told the manager if I ever do, I'll even ask him to come work for me and he has a good say in the matter. But going to this other place, they love when I could in. They know I can't buy much but they know I support the shop any way I can.
I only have 50 characters left to use might as wel
>>
>>91635785
oh shit
>>
>>91635875
Dude I got something for you
>Goto a local shop to find some place to play some Yugimans
>go into this shop
>Start on and off playing
>A bit out of the loop
>Some snarky as white nerdy teen tells me to shuddup
>I told him I'm an adult, he needs to have some respect for me.
>puts his foot on the table and goes "I'll respect you if you solve this math problem"
>Told him to fuck off
Seriously, every fucking place I goto play Yugioh these fucking kids that play act like their better than everyone. I told this to some people at the switch launch and one of my friends there said "It's not the kids, it's the game. I've noticed it too and Magic, Pokemon, or whatever you're playing, their nothing like Yugioh. They all act nicer but yugioh? It turns them into assholes some how. I don't get it"

Magic - Normally has no life and loves to play for the fun of it and has a job so they have money to spend
Pokemon - Normally children to adults then it skips like 20 years and you see like older parents or grandparents playing with their grandkids. Because they are playing, the kids are assholes and put in their place kinda dea
Yugioh - Kids are normally assholes cause they think cause they understand a complicated card their speshul
Naruto (dead) - This was a very specific crowed. I noticed a lot of the "loner" "cool" kids would play it. The kids that normally had no problem making friends like me
>>
>>91635875
I went to high school and played MtG with one of the World Championship winners. It was pretty fun even though I sucked at it. I haven't played it in forever but I can't bring myself to get rid of my cards.
>>
>>91634508
>ABC
My nigga, I miss that place.
>>
>>91636032
>naruto card games
FUUUUCKK that brings back some old memories, I wonder if I still have mine in storage somewhere
>>
Went to a LCS once and noticed that the guy filling in for the usual cashier that day was inking a page of Lazarus.
>>
File: 1485141342744.jpg (61KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1485141342744.jpg
61KB, 1000x800px
>Live in NYC
>Have choice of little comic book store near my house or Midtown comics
>Go to little store because I feel like a fool in larger stores
>>
>>91636151
it's not worth jack shit anon. I've looked into it and they stopped print. SOME HOW tho the DBZ game is still a thing even tho it's literally a rip off of the Naruto TCG. I guess DBZ is more popular
>>
>>91636199
How are you foolish in the large stores that you aren't in the small stores?
>>
>>91629694
What did you think of it? I thought it was a bit dense for a comic, but enjoyed it nonetheless.
>>
>>91630118
I've read every post you've made and I'm just praying you're an elaborate troll. If not, you're genuinely one of the biggest fucking sperglords I've ever seen.
>>
>>91636258
Because they have such a large selection and I wanna look at everything. But I dont wanna be that weirdo who looks at everything in the store.
>>
>>91635909
this has the hint of a chris-chan tale to it even though i assume you aren't that kind of weirdo anon.
>>
>>91636199
does the Pokemon center have a place to play TCGs?

>>91636424
I dont know who that is. I've HEARD of him but that's about it.
>>
One of the comics shops I go to had cheap tacos last year for free comic book day, they also had tables with local artists work out front in the parking lot, I hope they do tacos again. I Was new to comics and it was my first time at a free comic book day event so I didn't really take advantage of see if they had sales.
>>
>>91636297
Oh crap I'm that guy...is that bad, do people notice?
>>
>>91636457
https://sonichu.com/cwcki/The_GAMe_PLACe
>>
File: IMG_0092.png (29KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0092.png
29KB, 633x758px
>>91627960

OP is the biggest fag I've ever heard of.

I love my LCS

> Move around a lot.
> Don't have a lot of friends because of it.
> Love reading and collecting comics.
> I'm staying near Amarillo.
> Find a great little shop.
> Owner sells new shit and a bunch of back stock.
> everything from old image to marvel stuff.
> I talk to the owner about comic news and controversy.
> Very cool guy. Tells me all sorts of stories. Back in the day type stuff. Met Stan Lee before he was a tool.
> One day he gets DD issue 2 and 3 snatch that shit up real fast.
> On my birthday to top it off.
> Now knows me as the "Daredevil Guy"
> He cuts me discounts on things and holds stuff even though I don't have a pull list.
> MFW I'm leaving town soon.

I just don't get people who aren't at least cordial with their local owners. They put up with so much shit from companies and distributors. Please be nice to to owners! Especially smaller ones.
>>
>>91636516
The store managers definitely do. Thats why I dont do it.
>>
>>91636548
I know when I'm not wanted. I don't go places where no one wants me.
It was clear that she didn't like me and I didn't want to make it worse so I said fuck it. Plus the kids there were snobs anyways. The adults that played magic, 1 couple, the husband CONSTANTLY act like a fuckin magic snob as if he knew everything about it.
>>
>>91629279
>genuinely offended by other people's taste
I'm genuinely offended by your existence then, please commit suicide and undo your wrong
>>
>>91636564
>I do it every time I'm there
>I go to my fcs 2-3 times a week
>spend an half an hour or more just looking at the same shit every time

I maybe spend 20 dollars tops every once in a while.

I think they let me do what I want because I dropped 500 once on a Sideshow statue.
>>
File: camel.jpg (63KB, 536x708px) Image search: [Google]
camel.jpg
63KB, 536x708px
>walk into store that is owned by old dude
>kinda like a racist grandpa
>bring dog into store
>walk behind counter and check box
>light cigarette in store
>smoke at counter and talk shit for an hour
>grab dog and go home

My local store is dope
>>
>>91636746
Do you live in a state where smoking is allowed indoors? It would be a doper store if you were breaking the law.
>>
>>91635714
No. Not only no, but FUCK no. It's not my fucking fault they have a mental disorder.
>>
File: Kamille_Bi-done.png (281KB, 474x720px) Image search: [Google]
Kamille_Bi-done.png
281KB, 474x720px
>Live 20-30 minutes from the capital of my state
>middle of nowhere
>closest LCS/Hobby shop is about 9 miles away
>owners are cool, they carry comics and WH40k stuff
>unfortunately their selection is limited as fuck
>good selection stores are down town and either have a few dicks that work there or are just too out of the way
Fucking sucks man.
>>
>Girlfriend likes romance comics, among other things.
>People working at our LCS know us okay, usually talk to us for a few minutes whenever we come in.
>One of the girls who works there recommended a book to my girl, she ended up getting it and reading it.
>Absolutely hated it. Thought it was boring and pander-y.
>Still has to make small-talk with the girl who works there, even though she knows she has shit taste.
>>
>>91636746
damn dude. i smoke a pack and a half a day, but never do it around my dog.
>>
File: usagi.png (1MB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
usagi.png
1MB, 800x1067px
>>91631913
>>91632179
>>91632539
>>91632869

My brethren.

>LCS has 2 stores, both run by the same dude
>one closes down because the building gets bought out and they're knocking it through.
>owner has been stockpiling shit for YEARS, all kinds of crazy shit is going up for sale.
>they have a huge sale, crazy discounts, and eventually start selling shit by the weight.
>arrive late to the sale, like a few days late.
>all the shit you'd expect is gone
>Nobody has touched the Usagi stuff
>Nobody has even noticed the signed stuff.

It made me sad, but then at the same time glad that someone who gives a shit (me) managed to save these from whatever fate they were going to suffer, like going into storage or getting ditched because they forgot what they had. Either way, I picked up the ones they had.
>>
>have a pretty nice FCS
>great big selection of comics from every range
>lots of toys
>always clean
>clientele isn't bad
>minimal animu/mango shit
>... but the staff are the most casual of casuals
>two of the employees have gone on record multiple times that they don't really read comics and only watched the 90's-00's DC shit or just watch the Marvel movies and that they probably never will read comics because they don't have enough time

I mean, I get it. The owner is the only real comic fan in the store and his hires are college kids that just take it as a job, but they're still nice and friendly.
>>
>>91637185
>what anon didn't know was that he was being cucked and that smalltalk was the two of the girls planning his breakup.
>>
>>91630492
Says the faggot taking the moral high ground on an anonymous site...
>>
>>91637047
why is it that almost every other card shop store I hear about has assholes that either attend the store or work there? Like seriously? The store I'm going to on occasion has great people there. I've never seen anything bad happen to it.

>>91637185
eh, maybe she's an ok person, never know. I'm into anime but hate DBZ and I get looks at anime stores when I mention it

>>91637250
God, I fucking hate people like them. I'm a nerd ok, I get it, I'm the guy that legit hates "normies" cause they need to goto their OWN shit. If you don't belong some where, gtfo. If you know NOTHING about the business you're in PLEASE go someplace else. I've seen there almost everywhere I go. Why do comic book owners ALWAYS hire idiots that know NOTHING about it. I would rather goto a comic shop, loop behind the counter and see a nerdy ass guy in a captain America shirt or a GL shirt that looks like Comic Book guy vs "OH EM GEE! STACY LEMME CALL YOU BACK!" girl...

I'm sorry if I'm the only person here.
>>
>>91627960
Why do you act like that in public, OP?
>>
>>91637368
I don't consider where op went is "Public" that's sub public.
>>
>>91637348
The people I've talked to at the hobby/game shop next to the large LCS I got to are nice, gave me tips about getting into WH40k, it's just the owner. I walked in on him screaming at one of his employees and her walking out almost in tears with the rest of the staff doing stuff around the store awkwardly.

Maybe I just need to go to more stores or something, but like I said, most are 25-30 minutes away downtown.
>>
>>91634508
I go to ABC like every goddamn week. That place is fucking magical.
>>
>>91634508
Shit dude, another reason I want to move to fucking Texas. Only thing keeping me is you guys get no snow.
>>
Went in recently grabbing my stuff
Owner talking to someone
That person asks how my dad is doing
Turns out is was One of my dad's old biker gang buddies
>>
File: two samurai.jpg (161KB, 853x1400px) Image search: [Google]
two samurai.jpg
161KB, 853x1400px
>>91637238

please accept my jealousy
I am as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich
except both the peanut butter and bread are also jelly
that is how jelly I am

good for you though. I bet you don't have THIS pic; Unhide the spoiler box gently, I don't want you to crease the edges.
mint condition, never been touched before.
look at that subtle desaturated color scale
the way both samurai look at an unseen threat

For $300, I'll let you download it.
>>
>>91637539
Fuck snow man. It's overrated. Texas is the bomb.
>>
>>91637348

Still in highschool and putting people in boxes are we?
>>
>>91637454
they are worth it my friend. Go there, enjoy, the bigger the store, normally the better.

Let me put it like this
I've been to several "Hole in the wall" stores where they are tiny as shit and they have around 10 people playing Magic. they might as well be sitting in a library after school. They look like the kind of people who've hung out since they were in middle school.

They are normally VERY close minded.

Back in middle school and highschool, I met some really awesome people I could hang out with on weekends and play Naruto and Yugioh with. So We mostly played Naruto but I can say that for the most part, we had around 10 good friends we would see weekly and then some regulars I use to know by name. We'd have like 20 different players per weekend. It was cool. Then once a month it became All Weekend gaming. Some people even slept in their car. I use to stay till 4AM. The owner would leave and hand the keys to one of the managers, we would chill and tell jokes, play a few rounds of whatever and I would watch them play 40K. I don't know shit but it was interesting. I told my dad he would like 40K cause he would like the painting and he's a math nerd.

>>91637589
huh? I don't understand what you said (no I'm 25)
>>
>>91637368
hopeless lad probably thinks he's a cartoon character
>>
>>91637454

If you can travel 25mins to your LCS you don't deserve one... I refuse to drive in the downtown core where i live so i walk down... I get if you're extremely busy with work and family and stuff but i doubt thats the case you just sound like a lazy entitled ass
>>
My LCS charges the US cover price, which is pretty crazy because the Fuckingleaf economy is shit. Plus he gives discounts for people with pull lists. Even after taxes I'm usually paying between 20-50 cents cheaper than the cover price. I don't know how the guy stays in business.
>>
>>91630118
Lmao. Fuck these fools. Bless you anon.
>>
>>91637603
>huh? I don't understand what you said (no I'm 25) >>91637348
>I'm a nerd ok, I get it, I'm the guy that legit hates "normies" cause they need to goto their OWN shit

usually people get out of the habit of putting strangers into little social cliques inside their heads once they get out of highschool and actually realise how the world works.

but by all means, keep screeching autistically
>>
>>91637589
>Still in highschool and putting people in boxes are we?

some labels are appropriate

for instance, you're obviously a logically inconsistant pseud, as evidenced by your not recognising the irony of labelling someone a highschooler while scolding them for putting others in boxes

oh, and if you disagree that the above is an example of 'irony', you're an american
>>
>>91637694
No I don't say it outloud but even as an adult you still see cliques and you can't get away from them. They ARE real anon. No matter what you say. Go pay attention to a few different places like Waffle house, goto a Starbucks, or a book store, and look for the people in 3s to 4s. You'll see what I mean. People don't "disperse" of their cliques anon, they just generally make them smaller if anything. Yeah, you have a small group of DnD friends at best but normally they have their own friends they hang out with at best.

If you've ever worked in an office, they exist too. I've been told by friends that they've seen this too. You still have your jocks, your darbies, your goths, and so on. I know it sounds "highschool" but honestly, it's what makes you fit in with the people you like. Would you goto a gym and hang out with them? Likely not.
>>
>>91636199
What shop? I tend to avoid Midtown because of location but I spend a lot at Forbidden Planet, and Strand Bookstore. I'll get the occasional OOP book at St. Marks but that's about it for the city. In Queens I stick exclusively to Royal, not that I know of many other LCS in the borough.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ
>>
>>91637765
>not having a variety of interests and the ability to at least be friendly with everyone
>>
>>91637765
>like Waffle house

who is going to Waffle House to make friends? in my experience Waffle House is full of truckers, people leaving "the club", and potheads. they are not there to be your friend and that does not mean that this shit hole has cliques.
>>
>>91636746
smoking indoors is so gross
>>
>>91635300
>>91635405
Fuck... I wish I was going to Austin to have cheese and beer :'(
>>
>>91637995
Mine are just in the realm of nerd stuff. I have no interest in sports, cars, outdoors stuff, arts or crafts, I go to places nerds hang out

>>91638077
I use to work there and what I mean is that commonly you would see the day shit which are a bunch old hens clucking at each other, mid day shift is normally teenagers working for their car, and midnight shift are people who want to do minimal work but still want money.

Each one of these you can tell a major difference in. I'm not saying they are "friends" but everyone has that coworker "friend."
>>
>>91630118
top kek
I would say you're a sperg but I'd probably do this with Guardians
>>
File: 1490217883467.jpg (748KB, 2477x3500px) Image search: [Google]
1490217883467.jpg
748KB, 2477x3500px
>>91638448
>cars
Clearly you read the wrong comics then.
>>
>Just bought rock of ages back issues from some guy who had a stand right outside the MoMA this weekend
>Just read them today
Enjoyable
>>
>be me
>dude weeb lmao
>LCS is one of only two places in my city that sells manga after Borders closed
>prices are cheaper than the specialty manga store for certain series, so go occasionally to pick up a couple of volumes
>Invader Zim comic happens, have loved the show for years so of course I hop on that right away
>now visiting LCS semi-regularly to pick it up along with manga
>clearly my taste is irredeemable for serious comic fans
>shop owner tries to engage me in conversation about comics at first
>it's super awkward because I know next to nothing and it shows
>she tries to recommend series, I flip through them, nope
>people have a finite amount of time/funds/attention for hobbies, and mine are /a/ shit and LEGO, clearly capeshit and I will never work out
>she's obviously disappointed
>feel bad because she's a very nice lady and she's clearly passionate about what she does
>I'm not conceited enough to assume that I'm the only girl in the entire city who visits the store regularly, but I can't help but feel like it has something to do with her wanting another female to talk about her hobby with
>now all my visits are super awkward, we make stilted small talk while she looks sadly at my purchases
>meanwhile hanging out at the manga store is awesome, owner and I talk for ages about series we like, figures, local events, etc

I don't know, I just feel bad for clearly not belonging at LCS and going back anyway. I'm the normie/weeb y'all probably can't stand being in your space. I'm sorry.
>>
>>91638904
i lieked your story and hope you get lots of (You)s
>>
>>91639050
That sounds like a threat honestly, anon.
>>
>>91639138
i have never read a post on this site which hasn't made me feel unsafe and consider it strange that anyone would think otherwise
>>
>>91638904
>Lego
Good taste at least.
>>
>>91638904
>girl

nice try you trap
>>
>At the counter paying for comics
>Guy behind the counter reaches for my stack to put in the bag
>Hand bumps into seperate book, knocking it open onto floor on my side
>Reach down to pick it up for him
>Upon closer inspection it's a drawing notebook
>The page is covered in dicks
>You know that phase where you doodle all over everything in school, your notes, the desk, a piece of paper, and everything just winds up a dick? That many dicks
>Rocket dicks blasting off
>Basket balls by the basketball pole
>Monolithic dicks
>Penis de Milo
>Count Cock-Ula cereal boxes
>Hentai monster #666
>Machine gun dicks shooting sperm bullets through a guy's skull
>I hand him his notebook and he quickly grabs it
>We stand silently there for a few seconds
>Give the silent guy nod of "I understand"
>Turn around to leave
>To this day I imagine I caught him return the nod in my peripheral vision
>>
>>91628079

Similar to me. But instead she asks how work is, or one of the boys is working and gives me recs or not depending on whether anything has come out.
>>
>>91635875
I played in the local MtG tourneys alot years ago (around Ice Age) and the worse part was the grown men who acted like 8 year olds when they lost a game.
>Saw a 30+ year old man start screaming at the 12 year old who beat him in a game.
>Saw a guy flip 2 tables where games were being played because he lost his game.
>Saw guy who lost a game telling the guy who one he used a cheese deck and if he was a real man they'd settle it outside so both walked outside and proceeded to beat the shit out of each other
>Saw one guy who played in 3-4 tournaments a week and everytime he lost enough to be out of the tourney, he'd sit at the table and proceed to rip every card in the deck he was using into tiny pieces.
>>
>Move back to the town I grew up in.
>See if there's a comic shop.
>Find one, but the place is kind scumy.
>Owner's creepy, like a Quagmire with glasses
>Buy comics anyway cause they seem to be the only show in town
>don't even bag and board
>They get shutdown. Probably weren't paying rent and shit
>Sad, cause no shop.
>Get haircut from sister who is a hairdresser
>see there's a comic shop in the same shopping center.
>Go inside. Old Asian guy comes out from the back. Talk to him about sports and shit, buy some comics. He apparently runs an L5R campaign in the back with his old Asian friends
>Go there for almost a decade
>Place is now more or less run by another guy who has turned the shop into an MtG store for the most part
Eh, I kinda miss the weekly trip there and shooting the shit with the old guy.
>>
File: lcs anon.png (433KB, 1600x3555px) Image search: [Google]
lcs anon.png
433KB, 1600x3555px
>>91627960
>>
>>91630186
>space cuckolding

Your dad should get a job at marvel.
>>
File: Mattis James N.jpg (32KB, 250x313px) Image search: [Google]
Mattis James N.jpg
32KB, 250x313px
>>91630133
>Napoleonic Board Game.

I'm gonna' need the name, son.
>>
>>91630784

Nice post anon, screen capping this.
>>
>>91627960
>>91628723
>>91629047
>>91629279
>>91629397
>>91630118
>>91630413
>>91630926
OP is unironically the best poster in the thread. All you faggots sperging out over this can't deny that it's fucking hilarious.
>>
>>91632048

I knew this kind of person years ago at a LCS I used to hang at (and work part time for a little while) as a teenager.

Sometimes they grow up. Other times they remain autists forever. If he's already forming political beliefs (MAGA hat) then he's possibly forever fucked.
>>
>>91639611
I knew a girl like that in high school. Had a similar notebook. She was also a lesbian with severe penis envy and tits the size of my head. I sometimes wonder what she's up too.
>>
File: spidey sense.png (13KB, 240x247px) Image search: [Google]
spidey sense.png
13KB, 240x247px
>in school for graphic design
>buy some vinyl cutouts at a LCS in the city of Toon Link,Star Wars, Autobot/Decepticon symbols, etc for my car
>find out a highschool friend of mine has a vinyl cut-out machine
>"hey dude I could design some cool stickers and you cut them out. we go in half and half for the supplies and then split the profit. im cool with every store owner and there are 5 different stores we could sell our stuff at"
>my friend isnt into comics at all, but knows how often im reading stuff, so he agrees
>stop by each shop and explain "hey my friend and I are making stickers. would you be interested in selling them?" show pics on my phone, and they all agree. The shop I originally bought mine from hadnt heard from their sticker guy in over a year and were looking for new stickers anyway
>heck yeah
>make cool stuff like pic related,silhouettes of Daredevil, Black Panther, Doc Ock, and normie stuff like Batman/Superman symbols, a stormtrooper with SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
>friend prints out 4 stickers of 5 different designs for 3 stores as a sample, so they can see how well they look, find a place to display them, see if people are interested, whatever
> 2 weeks later head back to all the stores and see whats up
>they all pretty much say "yeah we are waiting for more of your stickers. are you going to give us more? We cant really display this small amount. we want to fill up a case with them"
>contact friend "hey they want more stickers. they cant really display the small amounts
>"uhh i dont know dude... we arent making any money so its not worth it

so now its awkward when Into the stores im not a regular in. i had to explain how my friend backed out because we didnt instantly get money. I feel like a fool.

A few months later the owner whose shop im a regular in asks me what he should do with the stickers. I say "gg do whatever you want. my friend wasnt really into making them anymore"

>The next time i stop by,one of the workers has 3 stickers on his truck
>>
>>91631593
>>91631751
>>91631884
>>91632048

I hate to be 'that' person, but he sounds like the kind of guy who doesn't have many friends and tries really hard to compensate for that. He's probably an edgelord because he feels alienated and those are the kind of people that tell him it's society's fault that he's not well-liked.

He probably thinks you guys are cool and wants to be liked by you. You'd do better to actually talk to him and gently point out when he's being embarrassing, rather than just being condescending.
>>
>>91627960
my local is awesome have like hour chats with they guys that work and own the play the
the main guy is a guitar playing rock star
i wont even buy cheaper collections on book depository because i want this place to say open forever
>>
>>91629369
former lcs clerk here

100% he was going to shoplift it

that behavior is consistent with shoplifting

he ran out because he realized he was being watched
>>
File: tired.jpg (11KB, 250x221px) Image search: [Google]
tired.jpg
11KB, 250x221px
>>91639706
I need this to be real. It warms my heart that something so sweet could exist IRL.
>>
File: 1336206404174.jpg (46KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1336206404174.jpg
46KB, 500x375px
>>91639706
holy heck this made me so happy. goos job for that anon. why cant this happen to me ;_;
>>
>>91630118
Honestly you probably made his day. He loves to laugh off shit like that. It makes him feel like a bigger person.
>>
File: The Eltingville Club-083.jpg (2MB, 2153x3056px) Image search: [Google]
The Eltingville Club-083.jpg
2MB, 2153x3056px
I always thought that comic shops were just american meme and these stories never happened, but holy shit, americans are fucking autistic as eltinville.
>>
>>91627960
>Have two comic stores
>One is run by an older surfer with impeccable taste in comics and a good selection
>Other has a decent selection, but is staffed by either hipsters or a dude who follows you around like you are a shoplifter
>Surfer guy has new trades at 30% off on release week
>other store doesn't really go for deals, or sales, or anything.

I love going to the surfer guy's store. It's always such a great experience.
>>
>>91640083
Because Charisma is your dump stat. Even if you were in that situation you wouldn't be the guy who helped her. You'd either be the guy making it worse or just sitting there thinking to yourself about if you should do something rather than actually doing something. And even if you were to do something you'd probably drop your spaghetti hard and just making things worse. She'd just yell some more and you'd stand there slack jawed and cowed until someone who can actually help people does something and then they go and have cute moments like this.

I can't help people, I can only make things worse. And that's why I'm on 4chan.
>>
>>91629596
>lived in Saudi Arabia
I assume that means you aren't there now.
Good on you for escaping with your head firmly attached to your body.
>>
>>91640005
Your friend sounds stupid or lazy.

That was easy money and you guys got right up to the point where it was going to monetize and he quit.

I run my own business and a two week investment at that low cost is nothing.
>>
>>91630186
>your dad drew semi-softcore alien/human cuckoldry porn for comic covers
That's fucking awesome.
>>
>>91640183

Your self awareness is admirable anon.
>>
>>91630118

I'm rocking back and forth giggling about this. You're a character, OP. Fuck the haters.

I do feel bad for the comicbook store owner you dissed, though...
>>
>>91627960
>>Discover a comic shop has replaced an abandoned bank downtown

That seems like a lot of space for a comic shop
>>
>>91632048
That kid will shoot up the store with you in it. Calling it now.
>>
i live in a a shit city which for the longest time had one shitty comic store here it just one story that put me of buying comics for a long time
>go with my friends every Saturday to quality comics
>i collect mainly manga one day notice that they missed a issue of a collection i get
>i tell the teller who is a miget shit head he says he will back order it for me and it will be in next month
>next month rocks around i go in to collect my stuff owner get served by the same shithead
>then the owner appears a south African bitch she says im banned and my stuff will has been put back on the shelf because i haven't been in for a month
>what is left in the box is the one comic that was reordered including everything from last month
>the shit head bald midget had reorder everything from my list and the manger thought i hadn't come in for my stuff
>i was young and not much in to confrontations so i re bought all 50 dollars worth of back issues i already owned
i never went back to that or any other comic store for 5 years
you might call me a pussy but i was a introvert with parents that abused me
>>
>>91631205
Like Brazilians in online vidya
>>
>>91630133
what ethnicity were they?
>>
>>91640314
i was much older when i went back to that store
here why im happy there are now two comic stores in my town now
>go to quailty comics first time in a long time
>same shitty bald ass hole still works there
>"asked" if dc have collected the shazam collection by the bone artist
>i said cool and picked up a few other lose comics
>went in to the comic store again like 2 weeks later the bald shit head is there
>he comes right up to me "we have that shazam you wanted"
>i was puzzled i told him i just wanted to know if its coming out i didnt order it
>starts going of at me swear at me
>im taken aback guy next to me interrupts "ill take it how much"
>the bald shit head doesnt stop going off at me
i left and never looked back the best comic store had opened a week before this bald shit head had scared customers away right in to the new comic store
also quality comic bald midget asshole was prank calling the new comic store
>>
>>91640317
we brazilians live on another level of malice.

our lives teaches us to be as swift and dandy as fuck.

We are on another level.

here, an example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVGkOabwXPE
>>
>Browsing new releases on a busy day
>Girl next to me is talking to her friend about finding comics with good color work, notice the things she's looking at are pretty intense
>Suggest Orc Stain to her since it seemed like it might be up her alley purely in terms of color
>She seems pretty enthusiastic about my description and says she'll be getting into it
>Realize later that I recommended a comic about a society that uses petrified dicks as currency to a complete stranger
I wonder if that was in bad taste.
>>
File: IMG_3388.gif (3MB, 286x258px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3388.gif
3MB, 286x258px
>>91633793
>hello, I'm /new/
>>
>>91631205
they like shitting on prostitutes and eating shit
>>
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=24777806
>>
>>91634508
>Austin
>Texas
Steers and Queers.
As if I'm one to talk living in the Bay Area.
>>
>>91638144
What're you, gay?
>>
>>91639883
>admits to being a sjw

this is the worst poster in the thread

you are far more autistic than the guy in the story you replied to
>>
>>91632466
>I feel like a slimeball even if I shower and put on deodorant, but forget something like body spray too

They got you, bro
>>
>>91640005
What a short sighted friend.

Also what the fuck is up with military people and star wars?
>>
>few years back
>new LCS/Board game store opens in our town
>friends tell me about
>place is alright
>buy stuff here and there
>next day there's a sudden influx of customers there sitting at the tables
>clearly the owners friends
>days go on I visit the store periodically
>the owners friends are still here
>the embodiment of fedora
>sweaty, fat, graphic t's with normie references
>they are usually here from opening to closing
>they don't even buy anything
>another day later
>call friends to hang out at the shop
>we get there
>fedoras are here again
>not enough seats
>I decided to stand
>group decides to play magic and buy packs here
>owner barges in instantly
>"you guys can't hang out here, customers only!"
>the fat friends join
>"yea sorry not for you!"
>"but We were!"
>before I can continue he threatens to call the cops for loitering
>we leave

1 month later shop closes down because no one buy there
>>
File: 1348453002840.jpg (144KB, 854x859px) Image search: [Google]
1348453002840.jpg
144KB, 854x859px
>>91640183
i like to think that charisma is my strongest quality. I have a lot of friends, I can talk to people easily, i sell a lot of stuff at my job because i always make the customer feel at home.
Its my high standards thats the problem
Every girl I'm into does recreational drugs or drinks all the time, or both.
and I've never done either, which is a problem for them too
baka
>>
>>91632569
>>91635585
>>91635643
>>91635686
Just the leftists at Marvel censoring redpilled creators again.
>>
Any tips how to start a lcs hobby shop of sorts?
Seems kind of fun to start
>>
File: stormtrooper.png (9KB, 226x276px) Image search: [Google]
stormtrooper.png
9KB, 226x276px
>>91640228
>>91640475
yeah he is dumb
>>91640475
What do you mean? I guess I wasnt too clear, sorry about that.
"Support our troops" as in Stormtroopers. I've seen it on shirts and whatnot on numerous occasions.

This is the actual sticker. The Pink is so that its visible on a transparent background. It would be printed in white vinyl.
>>
>>91640612
If you want to make two million dollars running a comic shop I have some advice for you.

You need to start with two million.
>>
if OP did what he did to me that he did to that LCS owner or Bendis, I'm taking out my concealed carry and wiping him out.
>>
>>91635909
>could of
>>
>>91635585
dude said kill all jews
>>
>>91637762
that literally isn't irony, you dumbass. it's fucking hypocrisy, but it isn't irony. I teach fucking English for a living. you are an illiterate faggot.
>>
>>91627960

>Go into an LCS that just opened up, mid-90's
>A kid back then, I'm usually looking for random stuff that interests me
>Meet the co-owner of the store, really cool guy
>He'd show me stuff like cool comic cards and things to get me to make my parents buy shit, it worked about 25% of the time but he was still a cool guy
>Become a regular with a box and everything
>Later on find out he left or was bought out or something? But anyway he opened another store way the fuck across town.
>Go visit this store, didn't really care for this store but he was still a cool guy, bought some magic packs from him since I was into it back then
>A couple months later I find out he was a pedophile and was caught
>That sudden realization when he probably wasn't nice to you cause he liked you but he probably wanted to lure you away and fuck you

Shit was unnerving to say the least
>>
>>91640640
"Don't ask, Don't tell, Don't get force choked."
>>
>>91638904
>manga store

these exist?
>>
>>91640958
sup yankee
>>
>>91640958
>he's a teacher but acts like a dick to people
How's that being made fun of at school anon?
Never could get the girl so instead you make your bully's kid suffer

Just in case:

i·ro·ny
The expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

dunnp if this will come in handy but enjoy
>>
>>91630118
You're an asshole.

>>91630298
I've met Bendis before, and he IS a nice guy. I don't even like his work but this dude's story pisses me off.
>>
File: teaserbox_881123443[1].jpg (203KB, 800x420px) Image search: [Google]
teaserbox_881123443[1].jpg
203KB, 800x420px
>Live in Southern California
>Go to Frank and Sons

It's hot, crowded, sometimes smelly, and the parking sucks, but I get fifty cents off the cover price of every book.
>>
>>91640977
There's one in my my city. But then, there are a lot of weebs and asians (and asian weebs) here.
>>
Do you guys think a "constant comic con" would work? Like how flea markets work weekendly?
>>
File: 346.png (1MB, 1154x614px) Image search: [Google]
346.png
1MB, 1154x614px
The only two comic shops in any sort of reasonable distance to me are pretty shitty.

One of them is 90% board game stuff that I have zero interest in and have so few copies of what little comic issues the get in. The owner is a colossal neckbeard. No joke he legitimately looks identical to the guy from the world of warcraft South Park episode. He probably posts here...

The other store is an MCU-droning, big bang theory-loving, BvS-worshipping normie fest. If the two guys in pic related worked at a comic store, it would be an unquestionable law of the universe that it would be this one.
>>
>>91641081
I think it might have had a market for second-hand trading and the like back in the day when digital content wasn't a thing, but I doubt it would work now.
>>
>>91641112
It would be pretty cool but like once a month or so is when you'd have big names come in
>>
>mfw my old lcs is owned by Geoff Johns and they used to order me small press stuff all the time
>>
>>91629694
>only start reading it about four years later

I do this way too fucking much, mostly with complete collection hardcovers and stuff I buy on sale from Comixology and then forget all about them. I have like five volumes of those giant Dark Horse BW reprint collections of Conan comics that I haven't literally even touched in two years.
>>
> visit store a day or two after x-men gold controversial issue came out and before they started getting pulled
> tell store worker about it and they had no clue
> they move all issues to the back saying they don't want anyone to complain to the store
> after news of them getting pulled comes out the store starts selling the controversial issues for $99
> they sold 7 copies of x-men gold for $99 each that day
> they thanked me for telling them the next time I went there and let me get prieststroke vol 1 for half price
> feels good /co/
>>
>go to Newbury comics to get a comic because it is closest
>they don't have it
>go to another city to go to their comic store, it is poorly laid out and hard to find stuff but the guy has it and is a nice guy
>he tells me cash only so I get the cash from my car and buy the comic
>he sold it to me for a dollar off cover price!
Thanks, guy at comic store.
>>
>>91632048
>"Blacksad? More like BLACKBAD!
>Not BLACKED AND SAD!

Okay, this kid is seriously a lost cause.
>>
>>91640612
There's literally NO money in it and it's even more stressful than a normal business.
>>
>>91640404

Maybe if she was a lesbo.

>>91641304
> after news of them getting pulled comes out the store starts selling the controversial issues for $99
>someone actually buys them at that price

what the fuck.
>>
>>91640055
>>91640083

>stickin it in crazy is a good thing
Come on anons
>>
>>91642037
This is Australia so that works out to probably 65 American. Either way I was surprised how much they were able to sell it for. They even joked with me saying they sold more issues at $99 than they did at $8
>>
>>91642189
>old more issues at $99 than they did at $8

>Marvels current business plan
>>
>>91642037
controversy sells.
>>
>>91642220
Marvel now implements a new strategy of being racist and sexist to spike sales. Tumblr and reddit begin to hate them but /pol/ reads more comics than ever before. Seriously though if you look online there are people trying to sell the issue for 50 usd
>>
File: 1489931629868.png (1001KB, 2464x1936px) Image search: [Google]
1489931629868.png
1001KB, 2464x1936px
>Be going to my LCS (which is about 3 streetlights away from house) for years
>Recent years a raise in pay has resulted in me spending too much money there
>Workers at LCS see me more often, a few practically know me on name basis (one even helps me during their big busy back issue sale with a long list of back issue comics I wanted)
>All goes great till I have to move apartments, and find a new comicbook store

>Luckily the store I was going to was part of a chain, so I can transfer my pull list to whichever store of theirs I wanted
>Two other stores of theirs are possible choices, but both put about 20min extra on the commute home due to shitty city traffic
>Settle on one of the new stores, but everytime I'm there I keep thinking how much better the original store was
>MFW I'm a "not muh" nostalgia fag for a fucking building
>>
>>91627960
fake and full of autism
>>
>>91640817
And you'd be arrested and found guilty for murder. Congrats you're more autistic than the autistic kid screeching at a comic shop.
>>
>>91642189
Also you aussies probably aren't allowed to see anything too controversial unless it involves a wild animal disemboweling a relative.
>>
>Go to LCS
>Clerk asks me if I'm looking for anything in particular
>Say I'm just browsing
>Walk around the store for a few minutes
>Pick up a few comics maybe sometimes a trade
>Carry them to the counter and pay for them
>Thank the clerk and leave
>This is every time I go into a LCS
Nothing interesting happens to me.
>>
>>91645524
Honestly I wonder where people live that they still have the stereotypical cesspool hobby shops run by gargoyles and free of any trace of women. Every comic store I've been in has had clientele that at the very least were civil, and there has only been one game store I've been to that the owner struck me as a cretin.
>>
not really a weird/"that guy" story, just kind of funny.

>LCS is closing, having a sweet sale (75% off everything, one out of every three books you buy is free)
>owner sitting up front
>I'm looking around
>all of a sudden, girl and her boyfriend walk in
>"WOW I CANT BELIEVE YOU GUYS ARE CLOSING, OMG I HAVE TO BUY SOMETHING!"
>literally walks out three minutes later without buying anything
>owner gets upset, "And they wonder why we're closing..."
>>
Anyone else go to flea markets
I met a guy yesterday who said he had his own shop for 40 years and used to run the Cleveland comic convention
He was naming tons of names I'd never heard of, only one I remember was Paul Gulacy, said he had a ton of original art by him and he'd be selling it all next month. I'll probably pick up a Conan poster or something.

Anyway I hate my LCS, it's run by a manchild and his mom and she seems to do 80% of the work. He never knows anything about the books, and says suicide squad is his favorite book.
>>
>be 1 or 2 years ago
>be like 16
>go out to a event with buddies
>after event we see comic store and go in.
>see cool punisher trade
>go to buy it
>lady counter looks at me
>"how old are you anon"
>tell her
>"it's illegal for me to sell you this"
>wtf.png
>tell her it's not
>she yells at me.
>"you knew you couldn't buy this and still tried didn't you"

I bought the same book at a different store 2 days later no arguments, I've never had an issue with male comic shop owners, it's always old hags who yell at me for shit like this, there was another time when I was flipping through a omnibus and the grandma at the counter started yelling at me for trying to read it in store.
>>
>>91630118
I would legitimately be surprised if you have any friends.
>>
>Walk into comic book store
>Go to work

Eh that's about it really.
>>
>>91646571
Which flea market is that? If it's in NEO I might check it out.
>>
already put a story in but I forgot this gem.
>4 days before xmas.
>go to one of my favorite local stores to buy my regular pickups.
>walk in to see some guy with his son.
>father is yelling at son
>"you gotta get me a xmas gift you should know what I want!"
>he's a big scary black guy so I'm not going to bother him.
>the man starts telling his son to find some Popeye comics to buy for him, still screaming at the top of his lungs.
> the mans attention turns to the guys at the counter.
>the look scared shitless.
>asks them where the Popeye comics are.
>owner says they don't have any Popeye
>starts yelling again. "What do you mean you don't have Popeye you gotta have some Popeye son start looking for their Popeye comics"
>they look for Popeye for five minutes find nothing.
>what about Archie you guys got any Archie?
>owner points at Archie on the stand.
>the kid buys an Archie book and they leave
>relief.jpeg
To this day I have no idea what the fuck was going on, the father was barely speaking coherently and the kid couldn't be older than ten.
>>
>>91647100
Hartville, it's a small town but apparently the flea market is well known
>>
>>91629279
I do not believe faggots like you even exist. The fact that someone likes Daniel Way s Deadpool offends you? You can not be serious, americunt. You trolling.
>>
>>91630784
10/10 keks
>>
>>91627960
I met one of the co-founders of Titan Books and Forbidden Planet in Orbital Comics in London. We must have spoken for two hours, he had his own "shop within a shop" and he sold old film posters, records and original comic art (he had some incredible Dredd and 2000AD pages, really beautiful to see). We actually started talking about music when he saw me looking at a copy of Safe As Milk and said: "you need that record in your life!", I told him I already had it but it was an unusual pressing. Anyway things went from there and we started talking comics after I spotted a Rick Griffin record cover--man, the people he mentioned, not in a name-droppy way, very matter of factly-he talked about visiting Spiegleman in New York when he was working on Maus (Titan Books distributed RAW before it was published by Penguin), staying with trina Robbins and Steve Leialoha, managing Simon Bisley's music career...apparently his (heavy metal band-Biz was the drummer) kicked him out because "he was getting too famous" (?!) and people who had no interest in the music were turning up to gigs with comics in the hope of meeting Bisley, by all accounts he was quite an accommodating chap and would be signing, sketching and chatting away long after the equipment was packed up and would invariably end up pissed on a stream of drinks supplied by his admirers. Anyhow, the co-founder (I may as well tell you his name, it's Mike Lake) said "I've been thinking about getting back into the business in some capacity and I thought "what's a sure-fire seller with a ready made audience that ISN'T a Big Two or creator owned character?"" and he goes over to his laptop, into his files (I noticed he had a file called: Christy Canyon/Ron Jeremy Best Scenes", lel) and pulls up this beautifully deft yet expressive brush drawing of a dark-haired, handsome guy in a tux with a gun standing in front of an old Rolls Royce-the early '30's model with the sort of tubular front chassis-and I recognise (cont)
>>
>>91646571
>See guy at flea market with comics
>Whole table with comics just lying on there, mostly shit from the 90s, only three I would consider buying
>Ask him how he wants for those three
>I'LL GIVE YA EVERY COMIC ON THIS TABLE FOR TWO HUNDRED BUX! THESE ARE RARE! THEY DON'T PRINT THEM ANY MORE! THEY'RE ALL WORTH MORE THAN THAT!
People who sell video games are the same way. $50 for a bunch of shovelware and one half decent game. Fuck flea markets.
>>
File: 14785471843260.jpg (654KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
14785471843260.jpg
654KB, 1280x1707px
>be russian
>not even the biggest city
>only two comics shops in a whole city are full of shitty russian translated edition of american comics
>just a few random original american comics, all are overpriced and very random, some random issueas of bad comics. not interested
>have to pay a lot of more for international shipping on IST, etc.
>feels bad

you have no right to complain, guys.

how i miss those trips to Europe I had. there are nice and comfy comic book stores in Paris
>>
Not an exciting story but
>start getting into comics
>go to all 3 to sample each
>one can't seem to give me a sci fi recommendation, the other was nice, the last ended up chatting with mt for over an hour about comics and life.
>decide to support the later. Everytime i end up spending an hour or more at the store, chatting with owner, awesome employees or customers cause everyone liked to talk about comics with others
>had sales of $5 trades where i picked up stuff like Son of the Gun and Robert Rodi Thor hardcovers
>in bad area and goes out of business
>has progressive discounts final months but he was willing to hold on to a couple trades till his final sale week. Even gives me a couple free books that month.

Miss him and his store. Even hired a hot goth girl i knew from the goth club days.
>>
>>91647922
Have you tried not being commie?
>>
>>91646573
Reminds me of Gamespot, during highschool days.
Tried to return Scarface for the PSP(nothing like the console version)
Guy behind counter tells me I need an adult to return it.
(Fucking boggles to this day, since I bought it there)
Anyways I end up asking any adult walking by to help, like I'm asking for beer.
I still remember the dirty look the lady who helped me gave me, when the guy at the counter explain kids need adults because they had problems with kids returning stolen games.
>>
>>91647951
Now
>new store is second on that before list
>point program that lets me save up and get free stuff
>owner does a radio show and podcast about comics, been in the industry for decades and knows his shit.
>only hires people who know the material and read a lot of the stuff coming in.
>90% are women who read indi comics, same as the owner. Great, that's more my taste too.
>still don't manage to have the casual relationship like the last LCS owner except for with the fat but nice girl.
>get good recommendations for new indi comics

I win at comics but lose the relationships i had. Overall i win cause the comics are the important part but the relationship makes it much more fun going there
>>
>>91627960
only LCS around when i was a kid was this small little store in the mall my mom worked at and lo and behold when i finally get into comics it shuts down and gets replaced with another fucking perfume store
>>
>>91640959
This sub i had in seventh grade for English turned out to be a pedo we all found out next year he had stashes of kiddie porn in his car
>>
File: 1492243302506.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1492243302506.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>Browsing before picking up my pulls
>This 20 something year old guy in a wife beater and jeans comes in
>Like 6'4" and with pectoral muscles bigger than my breasts
>Oh he's bleeding from a cut on his head
>He quickly gets an issue of Star Wars and more than meets the eye
>Purchases them and leaves
>Right outside he is accosted by some 50 year old dude wearing bike leathers
>Young dude without hesitation punches him in the face
>Old guy hits the side walk
>Younger guy bugs the fuck out
>Old guy eventually pulls himself up and runs off after him
>Never seen ever of them again

I was confused. I wish I knew what their story was.
>>
>>91647534
...(continued) recognise the artist immediately--it's Dave McKean. Mike says: "don't tell anyone about this, basically I've been in talks with the Fleming estate to do a graphic novel adaptation of the original Bond books, very faithful, and I got Dave to do some sample pages to show them", which he then shows me, 3 or 4 absolutely beautiful black and white pages, beautiful chiaroscuro, of Bond sneaking in through a window, being discovered by a guard (?) and dispatching him after a brief, beautifully broken down and choreographed fight, just stunning drawing. THEN he shows me a load of Sienkiewicz drawings intended as promo material for a "virtual singer"-think along the lines of The Gorillaz-which was to be voiced by Natalie Mendoza, the Asian-looking actor from The Descent, but the project came to nothing. They were quite good drawings though, ranging from rough pencil sketches to a couple of coloured pen and ink drawings. Lastly Mike showed me a few Bisley sketches, the purpose of which I've forgotten but they were drawings of fucking pixies and elves. Like, almost children's picture book style, they reminded me a bit of that one Mike Ploog comic, the look of them but they were kind of...gay. When I met Mike Lake was the time Biz was having something of a resurgence artistically with the beautiful pencil-only Constantine comics (I'm pretty sure it was Constantine).
And he read and liked my first mini comic (with some constructive criticism). I thanked him profusely for his contribution to comics and he seemed really touched by that. So that was my best ever comic shop experience.
>>
From like over a decade ago.

>local comic shop is closing down / having a going out of business sale
>was one of my regular comic shops growing up: rented anime, bought figures, my weekly tmnt archie comic pick up
>it's on the last days and it's pretty busy
>notice most people hovering around the register area
>see old lady that's been working there as long as I can remember bawling her eyes out as she rings people up
>saying how this is all she's known for so long and doesn't know what she's going to do with her self
>people trying to console her
>remember back when I was 15 or 16 she set aside an El Hazard wallscroll for me cuz I didn't have enough and wasn't getting paid till the end of the week, and realize she's always been generally nice
>choke up a bit
>make my final purchase and walk out

Years later my then gf (now ex) broke that wallscroll in one of her tantrums and I was super pissed, but she never really knew why or just how mad I was. I still have that broken wallscroll somewhere.
>>
>Tfw only LCS in my area is owned by a family of mutes
I've been there maybe three times, shit is awkward as fuck
>>
I've been going to my LCS since it opened years ago. The owner knows that I'm a huge venom fan and he saves any symbiote related posters for me. They've been folded and were probably meant to hang in the windows or something but I get them for free so it's cool
Thread posts: 299
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.