[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does no one ever mention the fact that Samurai Jack is a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: 190px-Ronin1[1].jpg (19KB, 190x292px) Image search: [Google]
190px-Ronin1[1].jpg
19KB, 190x292px
Why does no one ever mention the fact that Samurai Jack is a rip off of Frank Miller's Ronin? It is the exact same story, only SJ plays the story straight without the twist that Ronin had.
>>
Because nobody read Ronin despite being one of Frank Miller's best.
>>
>>91617403
I've wondered this myself.
>>
>>91617403

When Samurai Jack first premiered everyone talked about this. But Frank Miller is okay with it, Genndy has flat out stated Samurai Jack is an homage and he borrowed a lot of ideas from Miller, there's no reason for the fans to not like both because they're both exceptional quality.

People don't talk about it because there's no conflict. And it was talked to death when the series premiered.
>>
>>91617403
Both borrow heavily from Lone Wolf & Cub, it doesn't matter because all three series are great.
>>
>>91618265
This.
>>
>>91617403
they're both meme comics/cartoon that have been taylor made for reddit
>>
Have you even read Ronin?
Because I decided to give Ronin a read after watching Samurai Jack and hearing of its influence and by the end of the comic I barely knew what the fuck I was looking at.

Not a bad story by any means, and the art is fantastic, but Christ, it was so different that this is just flagrant shitposting.
>>
>>91617403
Horse shit. Inspired yes but you'd have to go full postmodernist to say it's the same story. (Barring something Ronin happening in the reboot)
And yes, there's no way both weren't inspired by Lone Wolf and Cub.
>>
File: folder.jpg (350KB, 837x1200px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
350KB, 837x1200px
>>91618587
I'm fairly certain this is bullshit but I remember a rumour about Frank Miller reading Lone Wolf & Cub untranslated at some point before he decided to write Ronin. He obviously liked it enough to do the covers for the translated version.

Lone Wolf & Cub is easily in the top 5 manga of all time, shame more people haven't read it.
>>
>>91618485

Exactly. Samurai Jack took pretty much the most bare-bones, starting theme from Ronin, where there is an ancient evil baddie who throws the Ronin into the future before he can kill him.

That's where the similarities end. Ronin goes crazy off the rails with the idea while Samurai Jack takes a nice relaxed ride down the path that makes the most sense.

The difference in medium helps too. Ronin is a complete story, a six issue miniseries. Jack had to be extended as episodic television that would run for an unknown time.

I'm also always surprised Ronin doesn't get more credit than it does for having a bisexual main character who is a bad ass that isn't defined by his sexuality.
>>
>>91618671
I want to buy it, but sadly I can only buy a 133 euros package of all the volumes, and not just buying them little by little.
>>
>>91618840
LW&C is the only manga series I've actually bothered to buy. Even if you can't buy it it'll be available online to read somewhere. It's a masterpiece in regards to both story and art and it has the second best pannelling in any manga ever.

It's fairly long but it's never dull. Some of the action sequences from Samurai Jack are identical to parts of it and it develops tension before and during fights in exactly the same way.
>>
>>91618935
I still want to pay for it; I think such a landmark in manga history deserves that much. Maybe I can order them separately, although they might still end up being quite expensive.
>>
>>91618964
Get the omnibuses if you can.
>>
>>91618745
>sex identity doesn't define the character.
That's why nobody cares. Also when people hear Frank Miller, they immediately go to Batman.
>>
>>91618964
I think it'll be expensive either way since it's Dark Horse and their manga was always more expensive then shit like Tokyopop or Del Rey (not sure if either of those two companies are still in business now that I think about it).

I think the omnibus collection doesn't include the whole story and only collects parts of some volumes. It isn't an issue since a fair bit of LW&C are stand alone stories that don't driectly tie into the overall plot, but I'd prefer to read the whole thing anyway.
>>
>>91619232
The omnibuses collect all of it. One omnibus volume collects about 2 1/3 or 2,5 original volumes.
>>
>>91618471
when will this "le reddit" meme die. They both came out years and years before reddit even existed
>>
>>91618471
You're a meme, Taylor.
>>
>>91619417
Reddit is a buzzword for anything that's popular on the Internet.
>>
>>91617403

Before Samurai Jack premiered every preview of the series mentioned it was inspired by Ronin and Genndy mentioned it in pretty much every interview he did leading up to the show.

I had heard about Ronin but once I saw Samurai Jack I had to read it. I tracked down each issue and read them all.
>>
>>91619417
Nope. Another website is always to blame. If it's lefty it's tumblr. If it's righty it's stormfront. If it's central it's reddit. You're not allowed to like things.
>>
>>91617403
For the same reason Tolkien family doesn't sue Blizzard.

They have orcs and elves and dead, but so what? They both do their own things.
>>
>>91618745
by the end wasn't he basically a rapist
>>
>>91618935
>LW&C is the only manga series I've actually bothered to buy
you've never read berserk?
>>
>>91619352
>One omnibus volume collects about 2 1/3 or 2,5 original volumes.
What?
>>
Another way to think of it is that Samurai Jack was the childrens show that billy watched.

>>91618935
>it has the second best pannelling in any manga ever.
Which one is the first?

>>91624768
What?
>>
>>91624768

I... don't remember THAT...
>>
>>91617403
>Why does no one ever mention
There's a special place in hell for liars.
>>
>>91624883
>>91624941
it's been a long time since i've read it but doesn't it end with the reveal that all the samurai stuff was fake and that when he had sex with the black lady he was suddenly mind controlling her
>>
>>91625354
He projected the image of himself as the ronin, but I don't recall him explicitly mind-controlling anyone.
>>
>>91625411
its heavily implied that he was mind controlling her that why she pushes him off her when he tries to kiss her at the end and tells him to kill his self
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.