[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Mary Jane a Bitch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 30

File: Mary Jane.jpg (150KB, 900x1366px) Image search: [Google]
Mary Jane.jpg
150KB, 900x1366px
Need your help /co/. I've never read the spider man comics, but I've always been peripherally aware of them and it's on my to do list. Thing is I have a buddy who's read them, and I was talking with him yesterday and he went into a bit of a rant about how MJ Is/was/has always been a colossal bitch. Now I wanted to disagree, because that ran contrary to my understanding of the character, but I honestly couldn't because I don't know enough. Can you either refute his claim /co/? Please? I know it's not a big deal, but it's kinda making me sick to my stomach. Is she a bitch?
>>
No, she's a nice person.
>>
Does she look like a bitch?
>>
>>91599570
No, Gwen was the terrible one.
>>
>>91599570
Let me guess: your friend is a 55 years old fat guy called Dan Slott, isn't he?
>>
>>91599672

Could you elaborate? I appreciate the answer, and it does make me feel a bit better, but I would appreciate some explanation if you don't mind and have the time.

>>91599674

She looks like a very attractive woman. Those can go either way.
>>
>>91599674
nice reference
>>
>>91599709
Dan Slott isn't the anti-MJ guy at marvel

stop blaming him for every gripe you have with spider-man comics
>>
>>91599570

No. Gwen didn't support peter being spider-man and only wanted to get with him at first because he was the only dude that hadn't slept with her yet. Also she had shit hair until mj came along.
>>
>>91599570
Tell your friend he's a moron. Gwen Stacy was the one who was a bitch and only dated Parker because he ignored her.

Mary Jane on the other hand is a more complex character. She started out as someone who was free spirited and loved to party, yet still a very nice person. She was afraid of getting too close to Peter because she secretly knew he was Spider-Man and was afraid of settling down. Eventually she ended up actually getting to know Peter and fell in love. The two settled down and she supported Peter's life as Spider-Man, despite fearing that he could one day never come home.
>>
>>91599751

...What the fuck? My friends full of shit, he was telling me MJ was the slut.
>>
>>91599570
>I've never read the spider man comics
>I have a buddy who's read them

Read the comics, your "buddy" sounds suspiciously like marvel editorial.
>>
>>91599751
>>91599787
It's not that he hadn't slept with her, it's that he was the only guy in her social circle who wasn't desperate for her attention.

That being said, she did canonically have an affair with Norman Osborn and moved away from new york because she got pregnant and had the babies in secret
>>
File: MJVENOM!.jpg (290KB, 776x1200px) Image search: [Google]
MJVENOM!.jpg
290KB, 776x1200px
MJ was a great character with great character development.

She was always too good and wore a protective party too good for you attitude. The character development was great. Peter was the only one who could finally break it. She even got fortune and was pretty much good for showing modern women roles that women can do awesome things when your husbands a slacker (to the outside world!)

They pretty much got their tendrils on her and murdered her character development.

Sins of the past made her NOT GWEN again and OMD/BND were awful for her.
>>
>>91599787

Your friend didn't read the comics then. She put on a party girl facade to hide her shitty home life. They even show this in some of the films. In the comics she was never eager to date peter and turned down his marriage proposals.
>>
>>91599570
she is opposide of a bitch. but ofcourse bendis ruined her
>>
>>91599570
>Is Mary Jane a Bitch?

She's a woman, so yes.
>>
Well thanks anons I'm feeling much better now. I'll need to go read it all at some point. There wouldn't happen to be a recommended reading order would their? I know from personal experience it can be quite difficult to figure everything out with how convoluted things can get. Having an order or a timeline helps quite a bit.
>>
IT'S ALMOST LIKE THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE MJ WRITE HER AS A BITCH TO INSERT THEIR FAVORITE SPIDER-MAN GAL!
>>
FACE
IT
TIGER
>>
She has an attitude that would rub you the wrong way but she's a good loyal supportive friend and that's something peter needs more than anything
>>
One time. At one time I remember reading the comics and thinking: She's going full ginger and needs to be stopped.

It was the 90s, around the time Maximum Carnage was about to start. She smoked (kills all sexiness imo) and constantly nagged Peter to quit the hero business.

I mean, goddamnit woman! You knew who he was, and even friendzoned him twice! Still you married him, knowing everything, but now that Harry died you wanna bitch about his life in hopes of making him quit?!

It made me a HARD Peter/Felicia shipper. Then New/Secret Avengers comes along... And I sail the good ship Petrol (Peter/Carol for those that don't know).
>>
>>91599933
>Amazing Spider-Man #42-43

>Amazing Spider-Man #601-605

>The Amazing Spider-Man: Parallel Lives (My personal favorite)

>Amazing Spider-Man #259

>Sensational Spider-Man Annual #1

>Spider-Man Blue.

FUCK QUESADA FUCK QUESADA FUCK QUESADA FUCK QUESADA
>>
She's a great and beloved member of Spiderman's supporting cast.

She's a hypocritical bitch in the Raimi movies though.
>>
>>91599942
All writers secret waifufags and will ruin entire pre-established relationships to make their ships canon, even if it means completely shitting on a well loved character
>>
>>91599570
Oldfag here. Your friend is a retard. She was never a bitch.

MJ started off as flighty party girl, but but she had a long and impacting character arc after Gwens death that fleshed out her background, explained why she acted that way and helped her grow as a person. This all, while she helped Peter grieve, and before she and Peter started seriously dating.

For most of their life together she was nice, understanding and supportive. They fought some times when the danger got too much for her, but always out of concern for him. They never made her a bitchthey usually gave her understandable reasons for their fights.

She was happily married and never even hinted at wanting to cuck Pete, never thought about it. Even when he came close to cheating on her. A few times it was her career as a model and actress that kept them in the blue when Peter was having life crisis.

They managed to keep a healthy relationship through a pregnancy, an abortion, aunt Mays death and come back, and the whole clone shenanigans. She even welcomed Ben as if he was Petes brother.

She was by far one of the best wifes in cape comics, probably the best in all of Marvel.
>>
File: tumblr_mpne61w0G01qf4qazo1_500.png (320KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mpne61w0G01qf4qazo1_500.png
320KB, 500x325px
>Best ship will never come back.

Th-Thanks Mahvel.
>>
>>91600152

Was? I mean I know something happened, deal with the devil or something, but are they well and truly done?
>>
>>91599570
>>
>>91600083

Eh. She acts like any chick who grows up in an abusive household would act like. She had lots of boyfriends because she was insecure. It's similar to the comics where she was also in and out of relationships and even ran out on a guy who was about to marry her like in the film. The difference is that comics can flesh out a character like that and help you understand their motives while movies can't since they only have an hour and a half.
>>
File: delet.png (314KB, 529x480px) Image search: [Google]
delet.png
314KB, 529x480px
>>91600020
That is the wrong spider for Carol!
>>
>>91599570
No Marvel just ruined her character so people wouldn't like her being with Peter.
>>
>>91599674
...What?
>>
>>91600191
It might be reinstated this year. Marvel's been teasing it for quite some time.
>>
>>91600226
Jess is a heterosexual.
>>
File: 1431490494645.png (273KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1431490494645.png
273KB, 500x500px
>>91600271
delete this.
>>
>>91600226

It's Carol and Peter. Jessica can have both. Toss in Felicia and we have a new Fantastic Four... Some..
>>
>>91599672
this out of all of Peter's loves MJ is the least bitchy of all of em
>>
>>91600230
This. There is no other reason other than that.

>>91600235
Knowing Marvel now, they'll find a way to make us hate the undoing of OMD.
>>
>>91600176
At least there's RYV.
>>
>>91600484
I'm calling it now.

>It's an open relationship.

Fuck, I really hope I didn't jinx us.
>>
File: peter_and_mary_jane.jpg (99KB, 620x517px) Image search: [Google]
peter_and_mary_jane.jpg
99KB, 620x517px
Pete and MJ Thread?
>>
>>91600176
Good Lord. This was beutiful and painful. Fuck Quesada, fuck Dan Slott, fuck Marvel creative team that went along with the divorce like castrated sheeps.
>>
>>91600235
Not really
>>
>>
>>91600565
>Peter and MJ suddenly remembering how them being together was familiar in Slott's ASM.

>Peter learning Mephisto altered his life in Spider-Man/Deadpool.

>Marvel releasing the MJ variants to obviously hype something up.

>Slott throwing a temper tantrum like he always does when someone figures out the ending to one of his arcs.

>Marvel stating they view Renew Your Vows as a success solely because of the marriage and want more "classic" stories like it.

You have to be blind to not see what they're doing.
>>
>>91600020
who is this about MJ?
>>
>>91600235
Dan Slott had an autistic meltdown over that issue. Fat cunt cant handle the idea of a married Peter.
>>
File: amazing-spider-man-v2-53-pharo07.jpg (259KB, 667x1024px) Image search: [Google]
amazing-spider-man-v2-53-pharo07.jpg
259KB, 667x1024px
>>
>>91600235
>bringing back lame relationship to appease nostalgiafags
Just fix Black Cat already so Pete can be with someone interesting.
>>
>>91600688
You're new, I can tell.

Slott /always/ does that when someone is onto him.
>>
>>91599570
The bizarre way that Marvel has treated the MJ-Peter relationship is one of the primary reasons why I don't read Marvel anymore. I am a 28 year old married man who's mother recently died. If someone offered my Mom's life in exchange for my marriage having never existed I would turn that shit down in a heartbeat because that is monstrous. OMD basically killed Marvel for me.
>>
>>91600191
See this guy >>91600053 saying fuck Quesada?

It's because that fucker Quesada.

Quick rundown: In the crapfest that was Civil War Peter revealed his identity to the world. There is even a really funny page with Konahs reaction. And for awhile we thought, hey new direction, maybe they can explore the ramifications for a while before hitting the reset button.

Nope! That would require good writing and Marvel is alergic to that. So May got shot, not a direct kill, but because she's near two hundred years old, she was going to die. So Pete calls his contacts, and between supersciece, magic, gods that can command life and death and mutants that can nearly ressurect the dead, nobody was capable of healing a gunshot wound. What does he do then?

Why, make a deal with the literal Devil! Because that's never went bad before, right? It's not like his future daughter is sending warnings to the past telling him that if hedoes that she won't exist she wont become the next Sorceress Supreme and defeat Mephisto. No, wait she's doing literally that. Not like according to Doctor Strange may has a straight ticket to Heaven, and it's her time. No fuck saving the world, fuck his daughter, fuck God, his aunt deserves a couple more years as a near invalid before she gets a stroke.

So he made a deal with the Devil, destroyed his relationship with the best woman he could hope to have, destroyed his future and destroyed 20 and change years of character growth for him MJ and aunt May. He wen back to acting like a teenager and living with his parents, like the manbabies who write him.

All because Marvel refuses to hire a good writer.

Fuck Quesada. Fuck OMD. Fuck Marvel.

I'm still mad.
>>
>>91600703
>Erasing the best relationship to appease some nostalgiafags.

Have people already forgotten why OMD happened in the first place?
>>
>>91600231
What country you from?!
>>
>>91600731
The lesson is doing anything based on nothing but nostalgia is dumb as hell.
>best relationship
>>
File: mary-jane-d.jpg (132KB, 957x1423px) Image search: [Google]
mary-jane-d.jpg
132KB, 957x1423px
>>91600020
She stress smoked. There was a lot of that going on in the 90s, but society marches on, and MJ came to grips with the realities of being married to a super hero. If she were perfect, she would be too bland to be interesting. That she is flawed, ironically, makes her a good character.
>>
>>91600721
You can tell JMS hated that decision too! All the events leading up to the deal itself was basically JMS speaking through the characters, saying "This is a really bad fucking idea". SHIT, it's even more frustrating when you realize it could have been one of the best Spider-Man stories of all time if it ended right before he finds that little girl, when he accepts that Aunt May is mortal and will die. It was such a beautiful moment where Peter accepts death as a part of life, but nope! Gotta shill Quesada's idea somehow.
>>
>>91600271
it's a well-known fact that all women are bisexual
>>
>>91600790
>Nostalgia

>Character was constantly progressing and learning new lessons.

>Status quo was very fluid.

Yep, nostalgia is the only reason why people want this undone. You got me.
>>
Anyone have that page where MJ drops her spaghetti over mistletoe?
>>
>>91600704
So he is a fat cunt all the time?
>>
>>91600806
>That she is flawed, ironically, makes her a good character.
That's not ironic at all. And cycling between fits of "Tiger, you hit the jackpot" and "Tiger, you gotta quit being Spider-man" does not a good character make.
>>
>>91600879
>Character was constantly progressing and learning new lessons.
Lol who?
>>
>>91600825
It wouldn't be, as Aunt Mays gunshot wound required half the Marvel universe to suddenly become incredibly incompetent/useless in the case of Strange or RICHAAAAARDS. Or act like civil war cunt parody of themselves like Stark.

Aunt May simply having to pass away would have been a potentially great story, that could have been written with a healthy Peter/MJ marriage, and have him taking yet more milestones into becoming his own man.
>>
>>91600913
He actually used to write some pretty decent comics (his She-Hulk is pretty awesome), but it seems like the SECOND you put a writer at Marvel on one of their big name comics they turn to fucking garbage almost literally overnight.
>>
>>91600660
>Marvel stating they view Renew Your Vows as a success solely because of the marriage and want more "classic" stories like it.

Not just that, it's also a fun story to read.
>>
>>91600943
You can't top the way May died during the Clone Saga, that shit was genuinely touching.
>>
>>91600020
That's unkind.

What I always got out of panels like these >>91600806 was that here was a woman terrified of losing the one person who meant the world to her.
>>
>>91600721
Since that story, nothing that happened in the past decade is valid to me. Spidey as a character was dead to me in that period as well.
>>
>>91600943
He should have taken Aunt May to Dr. Doom and said, "Richards can't save her."

He would have been all "Hold Doom's goblet."

Wait... was he dead at the time or something?
>>
>>91600978
And that's all she would ever be because writer's rarely found any other meaningful way to involve her in stories and she had nothing going for her on her own.
>>
>>91600956
And John Byrne used to be a pretty good writer, and there was a time when Miller wasn't insane and wrote good stuff.

People change their viewpoints change and sometimes that impacts on their abilitiy to be good writers.
>>
>>91601016
He went to Doom in the book, DOOOOOOOM's majestic power apparently can't hold back death.
>>
>>91599570
pre-OMD Mary Jane was a good character and wife
post-OMD Mary Jane is a bitch and kill her with fire and magnets also completely inconsequential
>>
>>91601060
Didn't Doom rescue his mother from the literal hell that one time?
>>
Whats the deal with renew your vows?
>>
>>91601036
After living in Avengers Tower, I could have seen her starting to suit up. She's handy with a pool cue, takes lessons from Captain America, and while she would be reluctant at first, hanging around someone like Janet would be a bad enough influence on her to get her to consider being an adventurer alongside her crime fighting husband.

But then the Civil War happened, followed by OMD, so we'll never see more of that development.
>>
>>91599737
>Dan Slott isn't the anti-MJ guy
But he writes her like a bitter slut, and kicked her out the main title.
>>
>>91601087
And Cassie Lang.

Maybe it was his way of getting Peter to go fuck himself for going to Reed first.
>>
>>91601092
Alternate reality where Civil War never happened and as such, OMD never happened.

Aunt May still died though.
>>
>>91601036
You say that as if it's a bad thing. But even then I'm calling out bull on that.

The interesting thing about MJ was the dynamics of being married to a superhero. In good hands, and there were indeed a few, that provided some very powerful scenes.
>>
>>91601157
True. There are quite a few panels of them making up, or simply reaffirming their love, and GODDAMNIT, I'm tearing up just thinking about them. :( I miss that, even if it means MJ has to freak out about Peter being hurt (Which is completely understandable, and humanizing)
>>
>>91601144
>an alternate reality were all the shit that caused modern age marvel never happened

What a glorious idea for a comic book, can they make it a company wide line?
>>
>>91601144

So basically the way things should have been then?
>>
>>91601193
That would be hilarious! And I would be 100% behind that, especially if it gets rid of that Inhuman death cloud.
>>
>>91601093
That sounds awful.

>>91601157
>You say that as if it's a bad thing.
It certainly ain't a good thing to have a stagnant one-note character floating about all the time
>>
>>91601193
There's enough to do it.

I believe they reveal that Misty Knight and Iron Fist had a kid.

Professor X stopped Civil War from happening by helping the government keep watch of all super human individuals.

Cyclops is against the idea.

Magneto has moles in the Xavier school.

Wolverine and Jean have a kid.
>>
>>91601206
Yeah, not a fan of MJ having powers though.
>>
>>91601219
They already got done with that.
>>
>>91600053
>NOT LISTING BACK IN BLACK
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>91601270
But not before it killed Cyclops. :(
>>
>>91601118
>Maybe it was his way of getting Peter to go fuck himself for going to Reed first.
Base DOOM
>>
>>91601118

That's just another example of a character holding the idiot-ball due to plot demands from lazy writers.

Doom would do anything to show off against Richards. And he should consider Spider-man important enough to warran having him in debt with him.
>>
>>91601264
I prefer to keep her unpowered. She keeps Spidey grounded, especially when he can't relate to Aunt May on a personal level, and while everyone else is in Space or Super Iron Alien person. Having a regular wife, and home life, keeps Spidey in everyman, Friendly Neighborhood territory.
>>
>>91601395
This.

Renew Your Vows is still good, but it would be /so/ much better if MJ was just a normal person who didn't go crime fighting. Keep Annie though.
>>
>>91601358
Sounds like a good thing to me.
>>
>>91601233

Ok.

Out of curiosity, how much is your bridge's toll?
>>
>>91600764
What?
>>
>>91601144
>>91601193
>>91601236
>>91601219

>Captain America RYV
>The Hulk RYV
>Thor RYV
>Iron Man RYV
>The Avengers RYV
>Spiderman RYV
>The Fantastic Four RYV
>Xmen RYV.

FUND IT
>>
>>91601547
>you disagree with me therefor you must be a troll and I need to do no further thinking
Don't be a baby.
>>
>>91599737
Stop posting, Dan.
>>
>>91601678
Did Civil War fuck over every line as much as it did Spidey? I don't follow them too much.
>>
>>91601103
wasnt quesadilla the one that wrote her out?
>>
So, I liked the idea of breaking up MJ and Peter for the longest time, because I felt she was gimmicky and predictable as a character. I hated the deal with the devil nonsense, though.

I felt if Peter and MJ's marriage should end, it should be with a solemn divorce. Show how their entire spectrum of emotion during the process, until it ends, and they feel empty and foolish... But they aren't sure what about. Was the marriage port the divorce foolish?

Give them both time to grow and date, normalize. Maybe use those missed opportunities to run with excellent character development that Felicia had been going through.

Hell, use the opportunity to hook Peter and Carol up for a while. Let him experience having a partner so powerful there is no constant fear of harm coming to her. We could see a new side to Carol back then too.

Out maybe he IS with Felicia, and Marvel kills her... The loss brings MJ back into his life, and they bond again through the grieving process. They try friendzone for a time. Then one night they hookup... Mayday is conceived. They struggle to plan, to protect, Kaine loses his leg protecting Peter (like M2 Pete had), so Peter takes it upon himself to set up Parker industries, with help from Stark Industries and the Baxter Building foundation. He starts building his new spider tech, starting with Kaine's artificial limb.

And I've gone on a tangent long enough.

Tldr: OMD was poorly done. Black Cat is still being horribly mishandled. Spider woman isn't the only Attacks for Carol. And MJ needs more development otherwise she'll only be "just okay"
>>
>>91599737
Slott literally said Peter and MJ are "anti-Marvel"

he actively hates Peter and most of Peter's core supporting cast. i'm pretty sure he stays on the book these days just to troll the fan-base.

hell, after he was done assassinating Felicia and MJ, he's now managed to slip in Sins Past references.
>>
>>91601787
During OMD yes.
But Slott does not want her around.
>>
>>91601670
What ain't no country I ever heard of!
They speak english in What?
>>
>>91601816

..isn't the only arachnid for Carol. Fucking autocorrect.
>>
The "Wife wanting her husband to stop putting himself in danger" isn't a new thing. You see it countless times in war movies or cop movies where they want their husband to retire but he's gotta do ONE LAST MISSION or whatever
>>
>>91601879
What?
>>
>>91601870
Marvel period doesn't want her around unless its to prop up sales. ASM 17 sold through the roof with her just on the cover page. and then the issue was them saying they were through with each other and her cucking with Tony.

the way Slott writes MJ, that's a character that needs to find a Goblin and a bridge ASAP. and that's exactly how Marvel wants us to feel so they can create the next generic love interest.
>>
>>91601694

Magnificient counter-argument, Just slightly less effective than the rubber-glue one.
>>
>>91601909
>Marvel period doesn't want her around
Now that's simply false.
>>
>>91601907
English motherfucker do you speak it?!
>>
>>91601940
Now you're trolling.
>>
>>91601890

It's one thing to have family worry for you, it's another to marry a Cop or Soldier and nag about "Why won't you quit for me?"

"Lol, because you know I feel a responsibility to do this. You know I'm actively saving lives. You know I'm good at my job. And you accepted this part of me long ago."

So if she's going to refuse his sense of identity, after pledging to love and accept him, then they just need to divorce like grown ass folk and moved on.
>>
>>91600617
the fuck is happening with her feet?
>>
>>91601967
Yes.
>>
>>91602033
Then you know what I'm saying!

Describe what MJ Watson looks like!
>>
>>91601960
well they obviously don't want to kill her because she's popular and she sells books.

but they don't want her as a main piece in ASM and that much is obvious. the amount of railroading Slott has been allowed to do on her character is crazy.
>>
>>91602113
This just makes me wonder about the memetic effect of characters. Pete and Gwen were supposed to be it, but Stan had more fun writing MJ. Marvel could just kill her off in the next event, or even have her move to Saskatchewan. Yet they don't because she still has a proven fanbase. She's marketable!

They have no idea what do to with her, yet they can't get rid of her
>>
>>91602095
She's white..?
>>
>>91602113
Slott does nothing but railroad classic Spider-Man supporting characters, why should she be any different?
>>
>>91599570
Marvel just writes her that way because they WANT fans to hate her so they can ditch her and Peter can hook up with other people.
>>
>>91601756
Just look at the state of almost every book and you'll know that it eventually leads to a yes.
CW was the beginning of the end.
>>
>>91602390
Nigga. The current state of Marvel characters besides Spider-Man have fuck all to do with Civil War.
>>
>>91601756
Ironman probably. Avengers and X-men were ruined during Disassembled and House of M respectively.
>>
>>91602260
Go on!
>>
>>91602441
It cemented the current tone of the Marvel Universe of heroes distrusting and fighting each other at the drop of a hat.
>>
>>91602531
Firery red hair, brilliant smile, big jugs, phenomenally shapely ass, small waist, and a lovely dusting of freckles across her nose (when the artists remember)
>>
>>91601756
Cival War and Dark Reing fucked the marvel universe for good
>>
>>91602691

Does she look like a bitch?
>>
>>91601264
If I was in charge of all the superhero franchise stuff, I would make all the love interests have powers just like the main hero, if there are already a whole family of characters with those powers.

Like, if there's Superman, Superboy, Supergirl, Superdog, I'd make Lois Lane 'Superwoman'. If the Flash has a whole family of speedsters, then Iris West should be another speedster as well.

Every love interest that Peter Parker has ever had should be a Spider-Woman.
>>
>>91602743
Dark Reign was actually pretty clever. Pulled off the political thriller angle better than Civil War, and gave us some compelling moments with the Avengers on the run. If anything, it fits the current zeitgeist better than Civil War II
>>
>>91602808
She ain't Gwen.
>>
>>91601816
That is all shit. Fuck off with that shipper bullshit, you're no better than Quesada or Slott.
>>
>>91600020
came here to post this
not all the crap about shipping though, jesus
>>
>>91603063
true. but it set the heroes vs heroes and the boost in the asshole level of the characters. I did liked the fact that Villains did the hero job better than the heroes. it is incredible how they managed to make people hate the heroes they grew up with.
I hate current peter but I really like Superior. I wish for a alternative timeline solely focused on Superior Spiderman. he was cool as fuck in spiderverse
>>
>>91602504
>>91602390
The begging of the end was Dissassembled. Houseof M was a direct repercussion and it allowed for the new Avengers with Wolverine and Spiderman which while on the whole good, was the road to Civil War.
>>
>>91603396
Considering the circumstances, a little bit of frustration and out of character angst was understandable. Though I had wished things would have improved after the end of that arc. Marvels turn towards "social conciousness" wasn't what I had in mind.
>>
>>91601890
>but he's gotta do ONE LAST MISSION or whatever

This is different. Spider-Man doesn't have "one last mission", Peter has to be Spider-Man till the day he dies.
>>
>>91602808
What?
>>
>>91602851
But that defeats the purpose of Spider-Man. He's supposed to long for a normal life, why would he get with someone who has powers? That was the whole thing with why he didn't work with Black Cat, because they see one side of his life as being more important than the other, when in reality they're equally as important.
>>
>>91604524
Eh, I just don't like the idea that the love interests of these heroes are always normal and powerless, when these heroes also have families of other heroes with similar powers. Like, if there's a hero with elecric powers, and eventually he has a sidekick with electric powers and a rival with electric powers and a clone with electric powers and an evil twin with electric powers and a sidekick's sidekick with electric powers and more and more electric superheroes and villains, why shouldn't the love interest also have electric powers?
>>
>>91604624
I can only think of the clones being the only characters directly related to Peter with spider powers. His "sidekicks" (if you can even call them that) had different shticks, like Frogman. Miles doesn't count because he has absolutely dick to do with Peter and Miguel takes place in a completely separate time period. The spider-meme is a very recent thing, and a pretty shitty thing at that.
>>
>>
>>91601325
Back in Black is one of the most criminally underrated Spidey stories of all time, niggas always forgetting that shit on their recommended reading lists.
>>
>>91604711
I was referencing the idea of multiple super-people with similar themes as a whole. Like the Superfamily, Batfamily, Flash family, Spiderverse, whatever.
>>
>>91600660

I know there are signs, but I don't have faith in marvel at this point.

So... welp.
>>
>>91601395
>>91601421

I agree totally, but if buttfuck editors think a normal marriage is boring, her superheroing is a better solution than magic divorce.
>>
>>91600660
when has Marvel ever listened to its reader-base on anything? they're probably not going to reverse it and Slott will continue to have bi-annual autismo meltdowns with the same people who don't want to be convinced.

which admittedly is pretty funny.
>>
>>91605312
You're right about that much. But they'll probably double down on the magic divorce.
>>
File: 1266544077243.jpg (138KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
1266544077243.jpg
138KB, 736x736px
Alright then /co/, I need this explained to me. Spider-Man is one of Marvel's biggest comics. In terms of sales, prestige, history etc. They can sure as hell do something decent with it. MJ is good for the story. She can be added to or removed from the issue as much as a writer wants seeing as how the focus is on Peter being Spider-Man. Hell, on rare occasion you can have a MJ issue to break things up. Fans, because of a great deal of good writing for her, love the character. So why the hell doesn't Marvel just say "she is in the story, make it good"? Does Marvel not like money?
>>
>>91606474
Because you have to shake it up. Doesn't matter if it's good, doesn't matter if anyone wants it. You gotta go with what ever is the craziest, stupidest option.
>>
>>91606474
because it's ASM and it will sell regardless of quality. they could release a book with 30 blank pages and it would sell minimum 60k.

Marvel stopped caring about their comics quality when they started making literal billions for Disney with their movies. nowadays i think they only care about their comic book characters not "going off the reservation" so to speak with embarrassing stories (see: X-Men Gold).
>>
>>91606474

This all started because Quesada got a divorce and he felt old so Spider-Man needed one too so he could feel young.
>>
>>91606474
Quesada self inserts into Spider-Man (to the point where he told the artist to use his likeness as Peter Parker....anyone have that image?) Quesada finds his life incredibly boring, so he wanted to make Peter Parker a hip young swinging guy, since he is the opposite of that and wants escapism. MJ ruins that for him, so he made a mandate telling JMS to get rid of her.

No matter what Marvel or Slott tells you is the reason, the reason posted above is the /actual/ reason.....Seriously though, does anyone have the image of Peter Parker side by side Quesada?
>>
>>91600195
Underrated
>>
>>91606474
The marriage was retconned because Quesadilla was a literal autistic manchild who projected his own bullshit from his divorce onto the comics. Since the end of JMS's run the overall quality of the book has taken a nosedive and so we've fallen into a trap where the only time you see sales spike is when they're doing something retarded and SHOCKING causing a bunch of non-readers to pick up the book temporarily to see what BOLD NEW SHOCKING thing is happening. Inevitably these people don't stick around because the book is shit, resulting in Marvel deciding they need to rinse and repeat to bring back readers. So now they've decided the best way to keep up sales is to frustrate and anger their readers (this is literally a thing they have outright said, that they sell more comics when they piss off readers and this is their goal now).

tl;dr the writing went to shit so now instead of actually putting a good writer on to build up a base of readers over time, they keep trying to artificially inject interest with controversy but it doesn't last.

It's the same thing that's caused the general quality Marvel's whole line to go to shit, they saw temporary spikes in sales when they ran big events like Civil War and decided that the best way to keep getting sales was to do that forever, but didn't pay any mind to the fact that this caused their books to become overall just shit because there was always an event pre-empting whatever story the writer might be trying to tell. Add in the fact that they've been throwing shit writers onto books and paying more attention to hitting diversity quotas than actually giving a fuck about writing quality, and you get nuMarvel.
>>
>>91606811
Don't forget the super fucked up coincidence that the daughter Peter is erasing from existence in OMD mysteriously looks just like Queso-dip's real life daughter and it was by his mandate that she be basically killed before she existed. What's that all about I wonder?
>>
File: The Amazing Spider-Self-Insert.jpg (149KB, 526x800px) Image search: [Google]
The Amazing Spider-Self-Insert.jpg
149KB, 526x800px
>>91606811
Looking for the daughter now
>>
>>91606811
>>91607038
>>91607118
Got it.
>>
File: Brio Dando.jpg (42KB, 517x517px) Image search: [Google]
Brio Dando.jpg
42KB, 517x517px
>TFW you stopped reading Spider-Man half-way through reading OMD, making up your own ending where Peter realizes that Aunt May wouldn't want him to make a deal with Not Satan, and Peter instead respects her wishes and learns to move on and enjoy as happy a life as he can manage with his beautiful wife and start a loving family.
>TFW you've never read a single comic after OMD released by Marvel save for Renew Your Vows, so nothing in your own little world exists that can contradict your head canon.
>TFW you see daily threads for shit like America Chavez and all the other PC bullshit at Marvel, and you realize that your head canon is better written than most of the shit Marvel has come up with in about a decade.
>>
>>91607420
That is exactly what should have happened.
>>
File: 1492393773286.png (3MB, 1280x2202px) Image search: [Google]
1492393773286.png
3MB, 1280x2202px
>>91607442
>>
>>91607667

So you're saying you...Liked One More Day, and are glad that Spider-Man will never grow as a character ever again?
>>
>>91607118
Quesada's face looks so damn weird on Peter's body. I can't tell if he's fat or skinny.
>>
>>91607843
Nah, I'm saying you don't understand jokes
>>
>>91607907
The artist couldn't figure it out either, just look at his hands. He's got this fat fucking face, twig arms, and Mickey Mouse glove fat fingers. In panel one he's almost twice as wide in the torso as he is in panel two relatively speaking. It's hilarious and infuriating at the same time.
>>
>>91607118
>MJ: Hey Pete, come shotgun this bottle of wine then plow me just like old times 'kay?
>Peter: I don wan no trabble
>>
File: spiderman starting to laugh.png (478KB, 325x554px) Image search: [Google]
spiderman starting to laugh.png
478KB, 325x554px
>>91608021
>TFW you just notice the hands.
>>
>>91601992
It was the 90s. Nobody knew how to draw feet.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161118-191233.jpg (3MB, 1423x2103px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161118-191233.jpg
3MB, 1423x2103px
>>91599570
Too lazy to read throught the thread to see if anyone has posted this already but everyting you need to know about mj is in asm #259

She's basically a manic pixie dream girl who got married to peter parker by stan lee but had her character assasinated by marvel because they wanted to keep spiderman young and hip
>>
File: 1479021667604.jpg (8KB, 187x250px) Image search: [Google]
1479021667604.jpg
8KB, 187x250px
>>91600053
> tfw joe quesadilla thought that marvel was going stale and that it was his job as editor in chief to fix it by letting go of a large part of marvel's huge cast of characters via avengers disassembled and house of m, introducing large high stakes cross over events like civil war and consecutive yearly events, and bring spiderman back to being single in an attempt to recapture the effect of the night gwen stacy died which is regarded as one of the best spiderman stories but didn't realize that the impact of the night gwen stacy died came from its great story telling which showed spiderman dealing with tragedy and allowed him to develop and progress as a character which would eventually pave the way for peter's relationship with mary jane and completely missed the mark by making a shitty story that went against everything the character stood for and threw years of character development out the window in order to end the stan lee ordained spidey/mj marriage which ruined the character and led to years of shitty stories in which spiderman is caught in a cyclone of repetition which was paralleled throughout the marvel universe after the monetary success of civil war led to yearly world changing cross over events with the same cast of characters that brought diminishing returned and went on to lead marvel to reboot and rebrand several times within a few years as they introduce shitty diversity token legacy characters because of the effect that house of m and avengers disassembled had which started the trend of ignoring marvel's large cast of characters in order to tell more stories of marvel's most popular players which has caused normies make claims that comics are racist because they continue to see the same cast of white males in every story which has caused sjw's to complain and demand diversity which is all leading up to the current situation we are in in which brian michael banedis and the league of diversity is crashing this plane with no survivors.
>>
>>91600152
There was the stalker/obsessed secret hospital producer guy that tried to kidnap her.

I think Venom is what truly scared her. Its no surprise her reaction to him in Maximum Carnage. It makes you wonder if Venom raped her or just scared the piss out of her.
>>
File: Spider-Man bullies an immigrant.png (719KB, 475x711px) Image search: [Google]
Spider-Man bullies an immigrant.png
719KB, 475x711px
Let's play a game, pretend tomorrow Dan Slott dies/falls into a coma/decides he's gay for dicks and moves to europe to become cultured and smoke arab dick daily. Who do you want to replace him, and who do you think Marvel would actually pick to replace him (remembering that Marvel is run by retards and their only instinct when it comes to Spidey is "fuck that guy, right?")

>want
Yost, please god why not Yost.

>think they'd pick
whoever that faggot was who created Spider-Gwen then had a nuclear meltdown about Frank Cho drawing cheesecake art of her
>>
File: UxLceq1.jpg (660KB, 706x1080px) Image search: [Google]
UxLceq1.jpg
660KB, 706x1080px
Frank Cho is a national treasure!
>>
>>91607141
But wasn't Quesada's daughter name is Charlie?
>>
File: 1twrk0.png (4MB, 664x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1twrk0.png
4MB, 664x1023px
>>91610782
Carlie, actually. Then he brought in Carlie Cooper to be Pete's new love interest. Spider-man fucked his daughter at his mandate.
>>
>>91610897
Keeping in mind that we've already established Joe sees himself as Peter.
>>
>>91610944
Normally I enjoy father/daughter incest subtext, but this is just weird.
>>
>>91610492
>Yost, please god why not Yost.
Yost is THE ONLY good thing or good person working at Marvel now.
>>
>>91610897
I can understand the Charlie hate (I hate her myself), but why does everyone hate Nora Winters? She seemed like a fun side character.
>>
>>91611384
No clue. I've only been vaguely keeping up on /co through the random threads that pop up. :p
>>
>>91610223

Dat run on sentence
>>
any girl who wants to be a model is a basic bitch THOT
>>
>>91610492
Zeb Wells.
One of the most underrated Spider-Man writers out there.
>>
>>91600707
This.
Same here but I lost my father,and never go full retard with a deal like that.
>>
>>91601016
Peter uses the eye of agamotto to beg for help to every hero or villain he knows and everybody says "a bullet is too much in my camp"
Then you rant,not because the mediocrity of everyone, you rant because in seconds you think in a dozen ways of remove the bullet better and than every Fuckin'stupid writer.
And that stupid moment where Peter try to steal the good Dr strange in his house causing an astral voyage in time distracting himself from save may.
Seriously I hate this shit ten years later and I'm not even a spiderfag ,X-Men fag and OMD Is worst than House of M
>>
>>91610492

I'd roll with Yost. He's the only guy that cared for the new generation of X-Men which subsequent writers conveniently forget.
>>
>>91599570
She can be written that way. She's at her best when she's lovey dovey with her husband and beating up mooks who occasionally try to fuck with her.
>>
>>91599570
More of a slut, much like Jean Grey, though. If my western comics taught me anything is that redheads are sluts, but they're smoking hot so it's okay.
>>
>>91606811
He didn't TELL the artist, he WAS the artist. Most people's drawings resemble themselves.
>>
File: frank-600x1053.jpg (157KB, 600x1053px) Image search: [Google]
frank-600x1053.jpg
157KB, 600x1053px
Delicious Cho MJ
>>
File: asm378.jpg (160KB, 768x1142px) Image search: [Google]
asm378.jpg
160KB, 768x1142px
>>91599570
Back when MJ used to smoke she was kind of cunty but Black Cat eventually talked some sense into her.

However the era when she was a smoker was the only time I can think of when she was ever not pleasant.
>>
>>91615749
That was a pretty good era I thought. MJ Family Melodrama was a pretty neat break and saw her character develop before she returned and married Pete.
>>
>>91615958
It wasn't necessarily bad, however sometimes it was just drama for the sake of drama.
>>
>>91602199
I wonder what would happen if DC made a concerted effort to kill off Lois and replace her with a new love interest. How long before the new one would become the default in people's minds?
>>
>>91616251
Too late for that. It's now Lois forever and ever or angry fans that will never let it go until Lois is back.
>>
>>91599570
Your friend sounds like a colossal newfag who has only ever read Slott's shit. In which case, yes MJ is a bitch. Because Slott takes every conceivable opportunity to assassinate any semblance of character she has.

The guy has gone out of his way to rant about how much he hates MJ in interviews (even calling her "anti-Marvel" because she isn't his midget waifu OC) and going full autistic "REEEE!" on message boards anytime people say they want Peter and MJ to get back together.

Should have seen the discussion on CBR's forums recently, where Slott went literal drooling rage-retard because someone suggested that in the future a new writer could undo OMD.

Go read a comic with MJ in it that Slott did -not- write. She's a great character!
>>
File: straightontillmorning.jpg (440KB, 1191x1863px) Image search: [Google]
straightontillmorning.jpg
440KB, 1191x1863px
>>91600943
>Aunt May simply having to pass away would have been a potentially great story

It was a great story. They already did it in ASM #400. Which is one of the single best Spider-Man issues ever published.

But they fucked that up, too, just like most of the good stuff during the 90s Clone Saga got fucked up by shitty writing later in the Clone Saga.
>>
>>91616265
Uh, have you not been following this Spider-Man shit?
>>
>>91603396
>but I really like Superior
So you just have shit taste and like bottom of the barrel comics? Got it.
>>
>>91606811
>to the point where he told the artist to use his likeness as Peter Parker

Quesada both wrote and drew the story himself.
>>
>>91600721
Spiderman has a daughter who is a future Sorceress Supreme?

Wtf that sounds like an awesome story, where do I read that
>>
>>91599570
when slott writes her she is
>>
>>91611143
Joe Kelly, too. And Zeb Wells, when he decides to write stuff for Marvel.
>>
>>91616673
It doesn't exist. The anon was joking.
>>
>>91603396
I don't get people's love for superior, otto just got away with bullshit, barley any character change, he stI'll ends up an asshole.
>>
>>91606687
god this man is an asshole
>>
>>91616513
Haven't you? It's been 10 years since OMD and we still want MJ back. She is still the love interest ingrained in the pop culture, the one that appears on cartoons and and movies, the one the normies recognize and the fans want.

Lois would be the exact same thing. They tried to ruin her in nu52 so Supes could bang WW. It didn't stick.
>>
>>91616731
wouldn't be a bad idea
>>
>>91616867
Yes, that was what I was implying. The Lois situation is similar to MJ.
>>
>>91616867
I liked Supes with Wondy
but I also liked Spidey with Black Cat.
In the end though you are right.
>>
>>91600660

I'd believe this was true if Unworthy Thor wasn't just a massive cocktease.
>>
>>91616764
Yeah there's a lot of bullshit in that. Every other hero and villain was like:
>Spiderman is acting weird and violent, he used to be an annoying good natured jokester.
>Could it be he's been braiwashed/possessed/bodyswapped or some other thing that can happen and has happened to other heroes?
>No, he's just a jerk now, fuck that guy.
Only Green Goblin notices it.
>>
>>91616912
And then, when they DO think something up... None of the Avengers around have any fucking clue how to use their gadgets.... so all they learn is that he's: "not a Skurll!"

Fuck everything that happened in that book. Fuck Slott. And fuck Marvel for having it last as long as it did.

Superior is nearly as bad as OMD and OMIT.
>>
>>91617372
Also was downright insulting how none of Peter's immediate supporting cast didn't pick up on it. For example, how the fuck didn't MJ immediately realize that it wasn't Peter? Not saying she would know its Otto. But she sure as fuck should have recognized that it was not Peter.

Instead, she just pulls this whole, "Boy! Pete sure is acting funky!" routine.
>>
>>91599570
who cares breeding material
only real relavance
>>
>>91601816
All of this.
>>
>>91601016
Doom would fucking do it, too. Move heaven and earth, just so he has another thing to lord over Reed.
>>
>>91618224
also Doom actually kind of likes Peter in his own weird way
>>
>>91618287
When was that ever established? Doom doesn't like anyone except Doom and Wanda. And those he can use for his own means.
>>
>>91618325
Doom likes Valeria.

Reminder that she is under his personal protection, anybody who harms her will have him to deal with.
>>
>>91599570
Is your friend a writer, and autistic? MJ isn't a bitch, but your friend may just hate her because she's boring and he can't separate that from being a bitch, though I suppose then he'd have to hate a lot of Spiderman characters for the same reason, or he's just that faggot Slott
>>
>>91618369
>she's boring
You haven't read a lot of Spider-Man comics yourself, have you?

>Spiderman
Whelp, that proves it.
>>
>>91600195
kek
>>
>>91618418
Sorry for my pungent opinion. If people could explain why they talk about this series like it has the character chops of Another Country I'd be thrilled, most of these characters were designed to stagnate from their inception and shockingly most attempts at changing the status quo only make things worse.

>Whelp, that proves it
I'm shitposting in a thread, not writing for the goddamn comic; if I was, I can assure you my writing would be far shittier
>>
>>91618696
>I'm shitposting in a thread
>Not ACTUALLY a retard, I promise!

Yeah, sure thing, buddy.
>>
File: tumblr_ntpiqidzMU1uecmi1o1_400.gif (220KB, 280x199px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ntpiqidzMU1uecmi1o1_400.gif
220KB, 280x199px
>>91618696
>most attempts at changing the status quo only make things worse.

Wow, that anon's right. You really don't read Spider-Man comics.
Thread posts: 232
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.