[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you write good humor specifically for kids?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Hehehheeheh.jpg (32KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
Hehehheeheh.jpg
32KB, 1152x864px
How do you write good humor specifically for kids?
>>
How do shows like spongebob and oddparents do it?

i find it quite hard to make someone laugh without swearing
>>
>>91553107
>>91553124
Think of what your audience doesn't expect.
Example, for a surreal show like SpongeBob, although yes it's surreal, you don't know what you're gonna get with every joke. You don't know the hot sauce is gonna have an evil face, you don't know the character's reflection is gonna bail on him when worst comes to worst, you don't know when the charatcer's thumbs break, there'll be cuts to live-action disasters and the thumbs are gonna yell like crashing air force pilots.
>>
>>91553107
just write a joke like you would for an adult, don't use anything political or overtly Sexual
>You can still throw in innuendos, just nothing that would go over there head
And of course since we are talking about animation, Good Visual cues are 90 percent of both the delivery and punchline.
>>
>>91553107
The same as writing humour for adults, but without tits and swearing in it.

The 'secret' is that the skills for comedic writing are exactly the same as the skills for regular dramatic writing, except everything is heightened and there is no room to fuck up.
>>
>>91553107
Visual puns work.
Like a rubber band.
>>
if you haven't got a punchline just have a character fart.
>>
>>91553167
>Think of what your audience doesn't expect.
That is literally the basis of all good comedy.
>>
>>91553285
They said humor, not erotica.
>>
Follow the basics of humor

An easy joke format that a lot of comedians use is using basic logic to subvert the expectations of social or physical rules.

Ex: explaining how to fight global warming with leaving your refrigerator open.
>>
>>91555098

I thought that was pain or misery?
>>
>>91553107
I think something important to keep in mind when writing comedy is that you are writing it for everyone so you can't afford the luxury of making it too specific or focused on something
Like when you joke with your friends it's easy to make them laugh because you know your friends but that's not the case for people watching through a TV
It does have its benefits tho, comedy is all about distancing yourself emotionally from wathever is happening, if you see a fat man slip while carrying a couple trays of fast food it's funny but if the camera zooms into him and shows him in pain and then you get to watch him at home alone eating and being completely miserable then you dont
The screen always makes things a little bit less real, also animation does it too
>>
>>91555230
I dunno, if the "eating alone at home" segment had unnecessarily dramatic music, I'd probably laugh regardless.
>>
>>91553107
be actually funny
>>
>>91553107
Think of what made you laugh as a kid make a bit more smarter and slip in a subtle adult joke you wouldn't have gotten as a kid every 20 episodes or so
>>
File: Old-Businessman-PNG.png (42KB, 390x415px) Image search: [Google]
Old-Businessman-PNG.png
42KB, 390x415px
>>91553107
It's easy. All you need to do is find out what is "hip"and "with it" for the youths of today. This can usually be discerned by asking your niece what's big on the internet at any given moment, or just base it off of what you remember about high-schoolers. Once you find that, put it everywhere. Ramp that shit up to 11 and never stop making references to it, kids love it when you show them that your show "gets it." Finally, make sure that you use the exact same stories and characters as the last popular show; if it worked for them it should work for you.
>>
I think the key is exageration of relatable things in a way to defy logic

for example that scene in the simpsons where homer is trying to do a breakfast for his boss and he tries very basic stuff but he still messes the dish, and int he end ist just a bowl of cereal and somehow it set itself on fire

or that Whistle scene on pepa pig
>>
>>91553124
>i find it quite hard to make someone laugh without swearing

14-year-old detected
>>
File: harry-truman-9511121-1-402.jpg (122KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
harry-truman-9511121-1-402.jpg
122KB, 1200x1200px
>>91557855
>that pic
Truman?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.