[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was God the villain?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: Prince_of_egypt_ver2.jpg (20KB, 289x431px) Image search: [Google]
Prince_of_egypt_ver2.jpg
20KB, 289x431px
Was God the villain?
>>
The left out the whole "made the Pharaoh's heart go dark" bit for artistic purposes.

But yeah, Old Testament God was a vengeful motherfucker as nutty as the dead Greek ones. Why do you think they made a new one?
>>
>>91548255
I love that the canonical reason God is so chill in the new testament is cause he got laid.
>>
>>91548190
>gets the villain song
>have to ask if he's the villain

need I remind you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcg5rN-jlaw
>>
File: 1448323520297.gif (3MB, 298x224px) Image search: [Google]
1448323520297.gif
3MB, 298x224px
>>91548313
>>
>>91548190
It was pharaoh's fault for not just letting them go
>>
>>91548190
No not really.

From a Biblical point the Egyptians forgot about Joseph and everything he did to help them out as the Pharaoh's adviser.

God promised to get the Hebrews out of Egypt and told Moses to tell the Pharaoh to let his people go or bad shit would happen. The Pharaoh literally told Moses and God to fuck off.

After getting told to fuck off enough times, God had enough and made it so that after everything he threw at the Pharaoh, the Pharaoh would tighten his heart and not let the Hebrews go.

He did this so he could mind break the Pharaoh and drain him after the final plague happens, so he'll let the Hebrews go.

All in all. God was just doing his job and keeping his promise to his people. The Pharaoh was doing what tradition and his job as ruler told him to do.

Nobody was really the villain as God didn't want to continue the plagues had the Pharaoh just said okay after the first few times God and Moses asks him to let the Hebrews go.

If you want to find somebody to be a villain, let it be the Egyptians who didn't remember how Joseph helped them out in Egypt and let the Hebrews fall down several classes and genocided them.
>>
>>91548190
He drove two brothers apart when he could have just Godded his people out of Egypt himself.
>>
>>91548714
I dont think teleportation powers is canon.
>>
>>91548804
It is when Omnipotence is canon
>>
>>91548619
>HEY, HEBREWS! YOU WANT PROMISE LAND? TOO BAD, HAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>91548313
>old testament god
>WHY WON'T HUMANS JUST DO EXACTLY WHAT I TELL THEM TO ALL THE TIME REEEEEEE
>new testament god
>shit, living on earth for a few decades was fucking awful no wonder humans are shitbags I guess I'll just leave them to it
>>
>>91548822
Thats a retcon by Aquinas.
>>
>>91548344
>I SEND MY SCOURGE I SEND MY SWORD
>THUS SAITH THE LORD

Still gives me chills everywhere holy shit.

btw that song was Rameses'
>>
>>91548619
>God had enough and made it so that after everything he threw at the Pharaoh, the Pharaoh would tighten his heart and not let the Hebrews go
> God didn't want to continue the plagues had the Pharaoh just said okay after the first few times
>God made the Pharoh unable to let them go even after the plagues
>God literally had to make up an excuse to continue his revenge
Yeah, that's not something a nice person does. That's the sort of reasoning vengeful sociopaths have. It's the sort of episode synopsis you'd see in Dan Vs. or It's Always Sunny.

It's sort of why the film danced around the part of God darkening Pharaoh's heart and changed it that it was purely his own arrogance to not let his people go. And again, it's also the reason why we have and mostly practice the New Testament now.
>>
>Questioning HaShem

BAD GOY
>>
>>91548619
>God had enough and made it so that after everything he threw at the Pharaoh, the Pharaoh would tighten his heart
>He did this so he could mind break the Pharaoh
>Nobody was really the villain
What's life as a sociopath like?
>>
>>91548956
>holding God to the same standard as a person
>implying OT God cared about anyone other than his favorite tribe

When a raccoon mauls your puppy, you do not show mercy to the raccoon. Anyone who judges you for wrecking that raccoon is a faggot whose parents were probably weak. Notice how the Egyptians never bothered the Jews again in all of history.
>>
>>91549068
The argument of how omnipotent being see's us is an interesting one true, but if he see's the average mortal with such malevolence it's no wonder they had to rewrite him to be more forgiving, since it's hard to convert people to follow an angry God.

And it was worse then just "looking after a pet". OT God had a zero tolerance policy and would regularly smite his own if they so much disobeyed him once.
>Notice how the Egyptians never bothered the Jews again in all of history.
In the Bible sure, but I think they weren't any Jews in Egypt.
>>
>>91548255
>>91548619
>>91548956
>>91549056
I'm pretty sure "God hardened Pharaohs Heart" doesn't mean what you think it means. I don't think it meant that god intentionally used magic to make the Pharaoh into a stone cold fucker. It meant that gods presence and the fact that this almighty being was helping the jews made him a salty bitch. It was in the same way you might say that the mailman "made the dog go batshit", but he didn't flick his magic mailman wand that allows him to deliver in rain, sleet, snow AND hail in order to piss the dog off. That dog just didn't like that strange fucker all up in his lawn.
>>
>>91549213
>OT God had a zero tolerance policy
Not really true. Moses, Abraham and a few others all argued with God over important stuff. Even changed his mind once or twice.
>>
>>91548841
>Aquinas
>canon

Next you'll be telling me Milton was canon
>>
>>91548190
The Bible is literally the edgy revenge fantasies of the ancient middle eastern nerd tribe

>Reee!
>My God totally showed those fucking normie egyptian chads!
>Teach em to walk around with uncircumcised dicks!
>>
>>91548956
>nice person
Higher power who can see the future while dealing with critters who have free will is never going to come off as nice.
A frequently recurring point in the OT is people doubting God's power.
Also God seems to have different whole characters in different books, War-God, Creator, Trickster, Vengeful Tyrant, holy crap he answers Job with a question, how powerful is that?
>nice
nice is a posture, goodness is a quality, a good person can really spill some blood without altering their goodness. In these stories God is good to his chosen people and really rough on the others, even though he reminds his chosen that their enemies are his children too.
>>
>>91549242
It's plausible but God has done weirder things like that so some people (like me) took it literally.
>>91549276
It's been forever since I read it so it's very likely I'm forgetting things. The only time I remember Moses not following God's orders when when he hit that rock to get water instead of talking to it, and was immediately banned from the promised land.
>>
>>91549242
God hardens his heart so he can show off. It's intentional.
>>
>God and Moses ask the Pharaoh to let the Hebrews go or they'll force him.
>Pharaoh goes "No way, Fag."
>Shit starts and God gives the Pharaoh warnings.
>Pharaoh calls God a faggot.
>God wrecks the Pharaoh's shit in.
>Hebrews get released.
>Pharaoh tries to sucker punch God when he's leaving with the Hebrews.
>God wrecks the Pharaoh's shit again.

Pharaoh literally had to let the Hebrews go. God did nothing wrong in this situation, he fucking told his dumb ass.
>>
>>91549517
No, its an allegory to show that you will suffer for your mistakes, even after you've atoned for them. Even if you regret them, and wish you could take them back, you'll be stuck with the consequences.

Because Pharaoh kept the Jews in slavery, he's doomed himself to watch his kingdom suffer.
>>
>>91548834
You tell me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9acWybkJBOg
>>
>>91548834
Uh noooooooo

>Old Testament: hey everybody! Hold my beer while I set humans up to piss me off so I'll have an excuse exact horrible vengeance on them!

>New Testament: hey son, I'm gonna send you down there to try and show those scruffy humans how to please me. If they are successful, they'll be my slaves forever and spend all eternity telling me how great I am. It'll be super-cool! If they fail, then I'll see to it that they suffer for all eternity! Oh, by the way! They'll think I'm you, so they'll probably start worshiping the wrong person and wind up in hell anyway because those silly monies will believe that simply kissing your ass or my ass will get them into heaven to be my eternal slave instead of eternal torment! So, I'll get to laugh at the suckers on judgement day when I say "bzzzt! Wrong! My son was an example, not a get out of hell free card! You still needed to be perfect! Now into the fires with you! Oh, and they'll kill you. So I'll get a laugh out of that. This will all be so fucking cash! Like using the Jedi mind truck to trick that starving mother into giving me her krayt dragon bone in KOTOR or having Zalbar murder mission while she cries out in disbelief... only for-ever! So fucking cash! Holy is my name, bitch!
>>
>>91549242
It was more of a rhetorical device

Like 'by god's will'

it's not supposed to mean that god is firing hate lasers at pharoah's heart
>>
>>91549985
KOTOR is so good.
>>
>>91548190
no
>>
>>91549518
Except for the part where he murdered all the first born sons of the non-jews. Those kids did literally nothing wrong.
>>
>>91549985
JW pls go.
>>
>>91553829
Neither did the children of the hebrews but that dident stop ramesses father from commiting infantcide.
>>
>>91554012
Ramses's father isn't god, he was just playing god.

God himself should be more responsible.
>>
>>91554012
So because some asshole's father did something bad, it's OK for GOD to do something arguably worse?
Whatever happened to "Thou shall not kill"?
>>
>>91554046
Heretics are not humans. :D
>>
File: 999.png (137KB, 321x381px) Image search: [Google]
999.png
137KB, 321x381px
>>91548190
God is always the villain
>>
>>91548190
>>91554731
Gorr was right
>>
Reminder that the entirety of Exodus is an ahistorical fabrication of the post-Exilic period.
>>
File: and then there's THIS guy.jpg (622KB, 2048x1548px) Image search: [Google]
and then there's THIS guy.jpg
622KB, 2048x1548px
God - by definition of being the sole extant being, and therefore the sole authority on what is good and bad - did nothing wrong
>>
>>91555154
reminder that if you take this posture you disagree with Jesus, and if you disagree with Jesus you're an idiot
>>
File: 1224.jpg (30KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1224.jpg
30KB, 640x480px
Was Moses LAW?
>>
Nah, Ramses was.
>>
File: Rama-Tut schedule.jpg (951KB, 1280x2044px) Image search: [Google]
Rama-Tut schedule.jpg
951KB, 1280x2044px
>>91548190
Surely there were better ways to deal with this problem
>>
>>91549068
>Notice how the Egyptians never bothered the Jews again in all of history
Is this bait or are you fucking serious?
>>
>>91554046
The Ten Commandments are a standard that God set to man, not that he himself has to follow, and this explicitly happened before they were delivered.
>>
>>91548190
More of an anti hero like Punisher.

>>91548255
>The left out the whole "made the Pharaoh's heart go dark" bit for artistic purposes
No, they still reference it in the Plague song
>>
>>91555661
>Do as I say, not as I do.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.