[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unpopular Opinions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 254
Thread images: 26

File: 1483914655357.jpg (275KB, 612x903px) Image search: [Google]
1483914655357.jpg
275KB, 612x903px
Just starting up Season 4 of Korra today and I have to say that overall it's been superior to ATLA.

ATLA was a good show but it never felt like the stakes were high. Sozin's Comet is introduced surprisingly early on and whenever the group was messing around in some town or just, you know, not focusing on Aang learning bending it felt really frustrating. Also I kept constantly getting reminded that nobody could die in the show. It was hard to get invested when the kids are literally at war and there are no casualties or even serious consequences. I think that's why the Ba Sing Se arc was easily the strongest in the entire show. Azula taking over the city really gave the show its "Empire Strikes Back" moment and it ratcheted up the tension. Zuko was also an awesome character. Azula and Zuko were hands down the best parts of ATLA. So much so that Aang's last fight against the Fire Lord felt completely perfunctory even though it had been built up for the entire show whereas Azula vs. Zuko & Katara was an awesome and dynamic fight. The stakes felt real there. I was actually scared for Zuko because Azula was built up so well as a villain.

But LoK takes far more risks than ATLA and I have to commend it for that. The villains die. There's consequences for Korra's bad decisions (trusting her uncle, opening up the spirit world, being reckless, etc.). The character relationships are richer and deeper than the ones explored in ATLA. Tenzin may be one of my favorite mentor figures ever. Beifong is a badass. The animation and fight scenes are miles ahead of anything we saw in Avatar. The steampunk aesthetic and the music are both great. I love seeing an Avatar who has to deal with political conflicts during relative peace time. Season 2 was a weak season but I think Tenzin & his siblings along with the Avatar backstory basically made up for it. I'm looking forward to 4.
>>
>>91532403
You are not alone.
>>
>>91532403
>ATLA was a good show but it never felt like the stakes were high.
Other than when the Avatar was nearly killed, and spent weeks in a coma, you mean?
>Sozin's Comet is introduced surprisingly early on and whenever the group was messing around in some town or just, you know, not focusing on Aang learning bending it felt really frustrating.
That's called worldbuilding.
>Also I kept constantly getting reminded that nobody could die in the show.
Other than Yue, Zhao, Jet, and Combustion Man?
>It was hard to get invested when the kids are literally at war and there are no casualties or even serious consequences.
Other than characters dying (see previous answer) or getting seriously injured (see first answer).

The rest of your ATLA stuff was mostly on point, but it really doesn't help your case.
>>
>>91532403
>But LoK takes far more risks than ATLA and I have to commend it for that.
LOK is schizophrenic in that it sometimes takes insane risks that it really shouldn't, and sometimes seems more kid-friendly than ATLA.
>The villains die.
In horrific ways that shouldn't be shown on TV at all, let alone on Nick (the online thing wasn't planned AFAIK). Oh yeah, and the heroes?
>There's consequences for Korra's bad decisions (trusting her uncle, opening up the spirit world, being reckless, etc.).
She would not have made the same decisions if the show were actually well-written, first of all. And second, said consequences are retarded.
>The character relationships are richer and deeper than the ones explored in ATLA.
Is this bait?
>Tenzin may be one of my favorite mentor figures ever.
Maybe in the first season.
>Beifong is a badass.
See previous.
>The animation and fight scenes are miles ahead of anything we saw in Avatar.
The fight scenes part is probably bait so I won't comment on that, but even the animation is worse than ATLA's. Don't get fooled by the HD.
>The steampunk aesthetic and the music are both great.
The steampunk aesthetic is cool but it was almost entirely dropped after season 1. Also, most of /co/ seems to hate it for technological reasons, I don't really share this view personally. The music is a significant downgrade from ATLA
>I love seeing an Avatar who has to deal with political conflicts during relative peace time.
You mean paper-thin political conflicts, as opposed to the richness and depth of those in ATLA (particularly in the FN and EK)?
>Season 2 was a weak season but I think Tenzin & his siblings along with the Avatar backstory basically made up for it.
Tenzin's sibling rivalry and the reasons for it are probably the worst part of season 2, at least IMO - I didn't have nearly as much of a problem with Korra as most of /co/ seems to have had. The Avatar backstory almost single-handedly destroyed the entire franchise - go watch E;R's videos.
>>
>>91532403
Let's just start calling this "Shitty Opinions Thread" instead.
>>
>>91532446
>Other than when the Avatar was nearly killed, and spent weeks in a coma, you mean?
Yeah, I knew he was going to be okay. I never doubted his recovery. But Amon taking Korra's bending away was something I was seriously concerned about, her losing her connection to Raava was an intense moment, her permanently losing contact with the other Avatars made the stakes feel higher, and Zaheer trying to poison her was more effective than anything the Fire Lord did to Aang.
>That's called worldbuilding.
I understand that but in that case they should have introduced the comet at the end of the season or in season 2. There's no ticking time bomb like that in Korra that makes you go "Why are the characters just screwing around here??"
>Other than Yue, Zhao, Jet, and Combustion Man?
Totally fair point, especially with Jet. I had actually forgotten about him. Yue was also really effective.
>>
>>91532403

Korra had more build up with stakes but every season ends in shit somehow.

Season 3 was great until the last second when Zaheer starts yelling chaos and laughing.

Season 2 went bad earlier on.

4 was all kinds of fucked up.

And throughout the entire thing they did not have a long term plan for the characters they are constantly doing repair work because they use Bolin for comic relief too much or completely ignore Asami. Why the fuck didnt she become a techno mage or some kind of iron man?
>>
>>91532677
>iron man?

Not necessarily a metal suit but a gadget fighter or something.
>>
>>91532677
You forgot how badly they butchered the season one finale.
>>
>>91532403
>The character relationships are richer and deeper than the ones explored in ATLA.
Lol, no
>>
>>91532646
>Why are the characters just screwing around here?
But they were never "just screwing around".
In Book 1, they were slowly moving to get to the NWT (from the SWT, so quite a long distance indeed) so Aang could learn waterbending. They couldn't keep flying indefinitely, so they obviously had to stop periodically, and they weren't going to leave people in trouble when they did.
In the first half of Book 2, they were trying to find Aang an earthbending teacher, and then waited until he could finally start training out of danger. In the second half, they lost Appa and then the whole coup in Ba Sing Se happened when Aang was training to master the AS.
In the first half of Book 3, they had a specific date for the invasion that they couldn't waver from anyways, so they spent all their time in the FN to gather intel and increase their chances of winning. In the second half, they were waiting until after Sozin's Comet until Zuko informed them they couldn't, so they decided to fight.
>>
>>91532747

All the endings were bad. They make grey interesting characters that come to black and white simple endings.
>>
>>91532403

Nah. ATLA took a very basic and simple premise (Evil Overlord wants to take over the world, Chosen One must stop him) and added some depth to it while TLOK tried to take 4 completely different deeper premises and was forced to dumb all of them down due to bad writing/lack of time/I don't fucking know they were just handled like shit.
>>
>>91532602
>She would not have made the same decisions if the show were actually well-written, first of all. And second, said consequences are retarded.
Having characters make huge mistakes and not understand how the cope with responsibility =/= poorly written. Korra had a lot of growing to do and she made some bad judgement calls as a political leader. You can think the consequences are retarded all you like but I feel like they make her more human.
>Is this bait?
No, it's seriously not. I think Korra & Tenzin, Tenzin & his siblings, Mako & Bolin, and Korra & Asami have more interesting chemistry than the ATLA cast. The character relationship that really stands out to me from that original show is Zuko & Iroh. No one else matched them imo.
>Maybe in the first season.
Tenzin is great because of his flaws, not his "badass feats". Him never being able to go into the spirit world was a great addition to his character. He wants to guide Korra even though he himself lacks confidence. His relationship with his siblings also highlight how troubled his childhood was living in the shadow of Aang. It's good stuff.
>See previous.
She's still a badass, especially in the third season.
>The fight scenes part is probably bait so I won't comment on that, but even the animation is worse than ATLA's. Don't get fooled by the HD.
They're really not though. The Amon fights are great and all of Season 3 was spectacular. Zaheer vs. Korra was what I wanted the Fire Lord fight to be.
>The steampunk aesthetic is cool but it was almost entirely dropped after season 1. Also, most of /co/ seems to hate it for technological reasons, I don't really share this view personally. The music is a significant downgrade from ATLA
I agree that Season 2's setting wasn't nearly as interesting and I missed the city from Season 1. But you really think the music from ATLA is better? It's generic as fuck. I don't remember a single tune from the OST. Its soundtrack was its weakest point.
>>
File: crystal.jpg (65KB, 338x500px)
crystal.jpg
65KB, 338x500px
Crystal looks cute with short hair
>>
>>91532958
>I don't remember a single tune from the OST. Its soundtrack was its weakest point.
Are you completely sure you're referring to ATLA here? This is exactly what I think about LOK.

For ATLA, on the other hand, I can pinpoint practically any piece of music in terms of where it was used in the show, even though no part of the soundtrack was ever officially released (unlike for LOK).
>>
>>91532403
I'm just going to link it because it's going to happen eventually

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmKaQqinWKY
>>
>>91532602
>You mean paper-thin political conflicts, as opposed to the richness and depth of those in ATLA (particularly in the FN and EK)?
No, I mean the sociopolitical hierarchy of benders & non-benders in the city and dealing with political figures who disagree with your methods and having to navigate around that. I love that the EK technology never evolved and that the FN became a great nation again. Also Zuko being the former leader was a nice touch.
>Tenzin's sibling rivalry and the reasons for it are probably the worst part of season 2, at least IMO - I didn't have nearly as much of a problem with Korra as most of /co/ seems to have had. The Avatar backstory almost single-handedly destroyed the entire franchise - go watch E;R's videos.
Could not disagree more about Tenzin and his siblings. I love them every time they're onscreen. They're total underdogs in the best sense of the word. Maybe /co/ loved to hatewatch them when the show was airing but I think they're great. I can see the complaint about the Avatar backstory feeling like Midichlorians or fucking up what you perceived the mythos to be but maybe part of why I liked it is because it gave Korra a nice backdrop for the conflict and an opportunity to "correct" something the original Avatar did and suffering some consequences of making that decision.
>>
>>91533070
Already mentioned, you're too late: >>91532602
>>
>>91532403
I feel Korra season 3 was on par with the best of AtLA but otherwise the writing was inferior
>>
>>91533080
For the Tenzin and co. part I was primarily referring to how the show retroactively destroyed Aang and Katara's characters as parents. (And the various excuses for said characterization just make it worse.)
>>
>>91533124
There is no way a fair ranking could place any part of LOK anywhere near ATLA's Book 2, at least.
>>
>>91533132
See, I actually liked that. I think Aang and Toph would make shitty parents. Just because a character is a hero at one point in their life doesn't mean they'll be awesome at raising kids. Aang was probably a lackadaisical dad or someone who was just plain not connected enough in the material world to give his kids the proper care they needed. And can you really see Toph as a mom? I think she'd resent it a lot of the time and miss the good old days where she could have fun fighting and adventuring. It's not really in her nature to "settle down".
>>
>>91533212
They could be bad parents. Just not remotely in the specific ways depicted. It's entirely OOC.
And you completely ignored the Katara part. There is no way the Katara from ATLA would allow that.
>>
>>91532958
>Having characters
That's just it, it isn't characters but always Korra. No one else is given the idiot ball to hold and if they are they end up having the moral high ground or their actions are never called into question.
If Korra had finally opened to her spiritual self like we are told, not shown, in the season 1 finale then season 2 would have never happened. Making the same mistakes over and over and over again and expecting a different outcome may be human, but it is also insanity and not something people cheer and flock to see when we are told this is the hero and they are inspiring to others.

There are other things off about what you said but I'll say this for now.
>>
>>91533281
How are they OOC though? I think Tenzin feeling like he didn't measure up to Aang and being an overarchiever makes logical sense. Then the other two siblings not really feeling like they can compete with their "perfect" brother would naturally fall into just trying to be successful in other fields. I also don't see how Katara would correct this. By being strict? That would likely make the situation worse and I think it's already implied that whatever discipline she put on them probably backfired. I can totally see Aang falling into being the "nice dad" and Katara always having to be the disciplinarian. That dynamic is a recipe for some damaged kids.

I heard Toph shows up in Book 4 and maybe there's something I haven't seen yet that you're talking about but so far I like the Beifong sisters and their relationship with their mom.
>>
I don't like neither Korra nor ATLA.
>>
>>91533554
Then you're gonna have a bad time on /co/.

But seriously, why are you here then?
>>
>>91533554

>posting in a thread where he has no interest on the subject matter
>>
>>91533582
>Unpopular Opinions Thread
>>
>>91533565
To see the discussion about some webcomics I read.
>>
E;R is a painfully unfunny and nitpicking faggot who misses opportunities to make actual criticism.
Before accusations start flowing, no, I don't like neither Korra nor Steven Universe.
>>
>>91532403
I mostly agree. I'd still say ATLA is a little bit better (especially considering how LOK season 2 was) but all in all, LOK was a very good show and is by far not as terrible as /co/ claims.
>>
>>91533469
But would the other characters really do better than Korra? The situations she's dealing with don't have easy answers. Aang's whole struggle was stopping the evil Fire Lord. Korra's problems are a lot more nuanced than that. Amon was essentially a "war on terror" analogy which is a problem we in the real world still haven't resolved. Season 3 happened entirely because of a judgment call Korra made in the previous season and she handled it the best way she could. I'm not going to even say the writing was perfect but I didn't find myself screaming at the screen saying "Korra, why aren't you doing ____ and ____??" because I myself didn't always know the right solution to fixing the problems she was dealing with. Aang's problem was relatively easy by comparison.
>>
>>91532403
I love everything you just said.
>>
>>91532602
>In horrific ways that shouldn't be shown on TV at all, let alone on Nick
I'd make a joke about being triggered and "gb2tumblr" here, but seriously, just because LOK is slightly more "grown up" you dislike it?
>She would not have made the same decisions if the show were actually well-written
That sounds a lot like "teen protagonist makes dumb mistakes = bad writing!". Would you rather have a protagonist who makes only insignificant, easily corrected mistakes? Would be fucking boring and Mary-Sue-like imho.
>>
>>91533554
My nigga.

Another unpopular opinion, Star Wars never had a good cartoon.
>>
>>91532958
>His relationship with his siblings also highlight how troubled his childhood was

That's a prime example of how shit the writing for LoK was. Tenzin, Bumi, and Kya shouldn't have had a troubled childhood at all. If they did, it should have been for the fact that Aang was, maybe, not around as much as he should've been because of Avatar business. Not because he was too busy favoring one of this children over the other. Which would be completely OOC of him considering his seen first hand what that shit does to the children.

Zuko and Azula, remember them? Of course you do, you love their end of the series fight and their rivalry. Oh, wait, what was the biggest thing that drove them apart? Ozai favoring Azula over Zuko!

You know what else was bad writing? That Katara, apparently, just let this happen. Wha-? How? She saw what Zuko went threw with Azula better than the rest of them maybe. Where was Sokka?

Hell, where was Zuko himself?
>>
>>91533735
>But would the other characters really do better than Korra?
They wouldn't, but the show never presents that so we are left with hollow actions.
The situations she was dealing with were 90% of the time caused by her involvement which doesn't add to her favor. Aang's struggle was a personal and sociological one since he found himself in different locales during a war. He tried to keep to what he believed the Air Nomads were about while finding himself in conflict. Korra doesn't have a personal ideal to present.

Season 3 happened entirely because of several judgement calls Korra made that she handled with no thought. She had no reason to leave the portals opened (the portals shouldn't exist in the first place but that's for another day.)

The nuances problems end up getting resolved offscreen (bender v. non-bender relations are resolved at the beginning of season 2, the capital of the URN dealing with the vines - all don't involve Korra's input.)
>>
>>91532643
>how dare you disagree with the juvenile and provide rational points for doing so
>>
>>91533918
>it should have been for the fact that Aang was, maybe, not around as much as he should've been because of Avatar business. Not because he was too busy favoring one of this children over the other.
You actually find it hard to believe that Aang would unknowingly favor the child that is literally the only other airbender in existence (who has to carry on the thousand of years of airbender tradition alone after Aang dies)?
>>
>>91532403
OP, you have low standards for logic in storytelling.

LoK Will never be a superior show because of one simple reason: the plot doesnt work.

The plot needs to be forced every time; Unalaq attacks the south for no reason. Korra Goes to the spirit world for no reason. Kuvira decides to go inside RC instead of shooting at kilometers of distance for no reason. Amon decides bending is bad because his father forced him to learn bloodbending (???), Zaheer escapes only because of an entire set of coincidences that makes no sense (he knew airbending despite not being an Airbender right on the time period that spiritual bullshit gave people airbending. He happens to be some sort of genius that learns how to bend in two weeks).

Sorry OP. You may like LoK. But that only means you have low standards. S02, S03 and S04 literally shouldnt happen if Korra had a brain and did not let the portals open.
>>
>>91534104
>You actually find it hard to believe that Aang would unknowingly favor the child that is literally the only other airbender in existence (who has to carry on the thousand of years of airbender tradition alone after Aang dies)
Favored and focused on so much that Aang never bothered to carry him into the Spirit World so he could experience how to get there so he could teach the next Avatar.

Also >>91533918 said which applies. Aang and Katara experienced what it is like to favor one child over the other or to stifle children or expect the world out of them. Aang had that fall to him so forcing Tenzin through such a mindset doesn't make sense for Aang's character.
>>
>>91533934
If OP was rational he would start talking about the flaws in LoK instead, because there are many. You don't segue with irrational folks. If he didn't hate-watch S02 after the first 3 episodes when the villain Sabotage his own plans, he is retarded.
>>
>>91534275
Dont argue with irrational folks**
>>
>>91533735
The issue I had with the second season was Korra trusting Unalaq in the first place. Not only did her own father both not trust him (which she completely ignored) but it's like she didn't learn anything from the fiasco with Tarrlok in the first season.

In fact Unalaq was almost a carbon copy of Tarrlok. He just had bigger aspirations and the charm, charisma, and know how to achieve his goals.
>>
>>91533503
Katara should have stopped Aang from going on "vacations" with just Tenzin, at the very least.
>>
>>91532403
Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad
>>
>>91534308
>Not only did her own father both not trust him
Which he did nothing to articulate.
You don't just say "I don't trust my brother" to your daughter without giving her a reason especially when neither you nor the "airbending master of spirituality" can't stop a rampaging spirit that you were keeping the information that spirits were attacking from said daughter.

If Korra's dad and Tenzin had been more open with Korra then a lot of things would have been different.
>>
>>91534387
Honestly, i dont ser a problem with Korra trusting Unalaq. But the guy is Very dumb; he could literally just teach Korra how to go to the spirit world and open both portals at once. Or... You know.. Not invade her Homeland.
>>
>>91534387
Didn't help that the Order of the White Lotus all but locked her away because muh Red Lotus.
>>
>>91534493
What was the point of him invading the Southern Tribe anyway?
>>
>>91532403
Earth = Change > Fire > Balance > Water > Air > Spirits
>>
>>91534505
>Didn't help that the Order of the White Lotus all but locked her away because muh Red Lotus.
Which doesn't make sense considering how they let her roam about the city so long as she made it back to Air Temple Island, all by herself considering the White Lotus are just stationed there after she goes to Republic City but never by her side during seasons 1, 2, 3, nor 4.

The Fire Nation likes the Avatar so she could spend time in the Palace. She had her homeland with Katara to teach her. Suyin Beifong's perfect utopia for earthbending plus metalbending. And if it was so bloody dangerous in RC then why did Tenzin keep his family there but not trust it as a safe place for the Avatar? There, airbending.
The whole lock up and isolate the person who needs to see and experience the world and make connections is a retarded premise when no other attacks against her were taken nor when perfectly safe places existed.

The Order also consisted of people around them like Katara, Tenzin, Sokka, and Zuko so they all fucked up.
>>
>>91534613
Earth > Fire = Water > GAP > Change > Air > Balance > Spirits
>>
>>91534577
He did it so his plans could fail. Duh.

But Seriously, the given answer was "to secure the portal". The problem with that explanation is:
1- no one else had any interest in the portal
2- the portal was away from the tribe, which means he didnt need to take the tribe to secure it
3- attacking the south automatically makes his plans fail.
>>
>>91534577
>What was the point of him invading the Southern Tribe anyway?
Because
>>
>>91534577
Probably just to piss off Tonraq and show that the NWT isn't just talk when it comes to their souvereignity.
I wonder who is at fault for that idea seeing how the North is 'helping' the South right now in the comics.
>>
>>91534664
Actually Korra had to sneak off the Island the first few times.
And by the time of Season 2 completely gone. Good riddance if you ask me. Better go back to playing Pai Sho.
>>
>>91534681
Wow, they plot holed all over the place didn't they?

>>91534701
Aren't the Twins in charge of the North now?
>>
>>91532646
>I was worried the main character was going to lose there powers

You are an idiot
>>
>>91534766
Reminder that if they actually had done their job and kept Korra locked, the world would literally be a better place.
>>
>>91534792
"Its S02, ain't gonna explain shit"

Other seasons had plot holes as well, but S02 takes the cake.
>>
>>91534819
>the world would literally be a better place.
Amon, left unchecked, takes over like /co/ said he would.
Unalaq, left unchecked, would try to break Korra out by having spirits attack like how he had spirits attack in canon.
Zaheer stays put.
The Queen continues to run the EK into the ground.
Kuvira stays unimportant and with no ambition.
Zuko falls asleep while on his dragon up in the sky and plummets to his death.
>>
>>91534792
Technically it's their mother but they kind of acting as reverse regents for her because she's most likely still grieving in Book 3 and in Book 4 they might just be there as delegates.
>>
>>91534819
If they had done their job Korra would've started the show with her later S4 personality and worked from there but she was surrounded by three out of four teachers with shit patience and couldn't teach her shit about spirituality other than 'you gotta be more spiritual Korra' because the dude that should teach her was too busy playing politician instead of teaching her shit long before the show started.
>>
>>91534885
1- It is unlikely Amon would win. He had a literal army against him. That said, tecnically the equalists won. As explained in S02 the turmoil ended up with them electing Raiko. Most likely the same would happen.

2- Unalaq was already unchecked, and if they do their job properly Unalaq wont be able to do anything.

And yeah, no Zaheer or Kuvira which means the EK stays united. Not saying the Queen isnt shit, but it's better than pure Chaos. But the bônus point goes to actually finish Korra's training. Many of the stupidity she did is probably because of not getting proper training.
>>
>>91535051
How would they have stopped Unalaq though?
Especially with guys like Varrick actually wanting the war to go on to make a big buck.

Also Amon shat over one part of the RC navy pretty good. They had the newest tech on their side so he could've taken over for a long time.
>>
>>91535326
By creating a wall. A great wall that spirits wont pass.

Or by simply not letting Korra get involved. The entire point of S02 was that Korra felt she should do something to help.
>>
>>91535398
Which makes sense. Her home and family was ripped apart and it's her fault to boot.
>>
>>91535326
About Amon, its quite clear they couldnt Win. To begin with, they kept fighting for months after Amon was defeated. A movement doesnt end because the leader is defeated. And still they didnt manage to do anything but elect Raiko. Its literally 3 goddamn nations against Amon's basement-dwelling chi blockers.
>>
>Unpopular Opinion thread
>ATLA fans are so base they can't move past the OP and actually contribute to the thread

Iron Man 3 was great btw
>>
>>91535051
>It is unlikely Amon would win.
Tell that to all the anons who say otherwise and wanted him to continue making the world like our own.
>>
>>91534766
>Actually Korra had to sneak off the Island the first few times.
The thing is, they never accompanied her nor were they on the island before Korra went there yet Tenzin thought it wasn't safe enough in the city so why keep his family there if he didn't trust Korra being there under watch?

It's like having bodyguards for a VIP stay back in the mansion while the VIP is walking around town by themselves.
>>
>ATLA: Characters either act their age or more mature than expected.

>LOK: Has the same level of maturity as the ATLA cast on older characters, making them seem immature and incompetent.

The tone shift was a mistake.
>>
>>91533281
>It's entirely OOC

>guy who wants to rebuild his extinct civilization spends more time with the one airbending kid
>bitchy spoiled sheltered rich runaway girl is a bad parent
Not OOC at all.
>>
>>91537316
It was quite a bit more extreme than "spends more time". Stop making excuses.
And being a bad parent doesn't justify turning into a total bitch later on, nor sleeping around with guys she barely knows and having kids with them.
>>
>>91534906
Was she in the series at all? I don't remember seeing her.
>>
>>91537166
ATLA's cast had more complexity to their issues.

Example: Sokka was the only man left in charge of his village, and so tried to act as a leader. He's a character that always tried to make plans, and in the end did multiple things that showed leadership (he planed the invasion of the fire nation, and brought down the Fire Nation blimps). He acts immature at times, but its balanced with his aspirations and hopes as a character of being a leader.

Korra example: Korra is rude and bossy. She has no real reason to be like this, she's always been handed whatever she wanted on a plate (I'M THE AVATAR YOU GOTTA DEAL WITH IT). She's immature, often shrugging off the responsibilities she has to go do other things.

The age difference is not why the Korra crew seem like dipshits in terms of maturity. Its because they are dipshits generally.
>>
>>91537582
ATLA's cast had more complexity in literally every way possible. LOK's characters were almost exclusively cardboard cutouts with no real personality to speak of, let alone depth.
>>
I think LoK was a bunch of good ideas executed in terrible ways.
>>
>>91537812
I agree, Amon being a great idea that was done fucking badly.

Although there are a few ideas which were just bad. Like Republic city being wayyy to technological advanced. It should have been advanced in terms of the previous show, not in a vaccum.

They went from a cart being the fastest medium of ground transport to the car without inventing the fucking printing press. I was thinking about ways around this, and Classical Rome is one of them, which was better tech then say Medieval times, but its still not modern.
>>
>>91537947

Republic City definitely felt like it was 200+ years in the future rather than 50.
>>
>>91537495
I never pictured toph having kids and if she did I was figured it would be a son at least. But she never seemed like the type of person that would have kids. I also, wouldn't call her bitchy, she's bold and straight to the point there's nothing wrong with that.

>>91537582
I agree with you about Korra and Only Korra. Bolin's maturity level was a result of Mako trying to protect him from the harsh reality of the world for as long he could, not that it was wrong but he should have let him grow up a bit. To that end though, Mako's plenty mature, the problem is that he's never been interested in other people or cared to be. He's not immature but emotionally stunted. His full time job was making sure he and his brother had a place to stay and food. There's never been time for him to develope emotionally beyond a certain point.

Then there's Asami, the heiress, who's also been handed everything on a platter. She's the most mature of them all, honestly, but lacking in real world experience because of her father sheltering her due to the loss of his wife. Yet, she's still more intune with the world around her than Korra is.

The only truly immature one was Korra and that was of her own design by virtue of the fact that she was cocky, inpatient, and brash. She was always certain her bending would get her out of everything until it didn't.
>>
>>91538004
Pretty sure it was ~70 actually, and again, ATLA was supposedly based in an 1850s counterpart.
>>
>>91538116
>I also, wouldn't call her bitchy, she's bold and straight to the point there's nothing wrong with that.
That's ATLA Toph. LOK Toph is a straight-up bitch, and that's a huge problem.
>>
>>91538116
Eh, I think the other characters also horrendously immature. Think about Korra's romance with Mako. Mako essentially two-timed someone, and they all handled it pretty fucking badly, not really talking about things and generally allowing the mood of the moment to dictate basically everything about their relationships.

This is down to inconsistent characterization, with Korra's characters relapsing into and out of modes of thought and behavior as fits the script. In one moment, Bolin and Mako had a hard life, parents were murdered on the streets, and they had to grow up with just each-other. That's a hardening experience. Bolin doesn't reflect that. Like at all. Then you have Mako being a mature, hard-headed kind of guy who had to be a parent to his little brother. Who also breaks with that and is immature wayyyy beyond what he should be. Now the difference between Korra and ATLA in terms of this is that ATLA's characters were both kids and had character growth. In Korra, these people are not children and shouldn't be acting like this, and their mode of thought changes situation to situation, which makes the difference between how the act and what the backstory suggests they should act more noticeable.

Asami is literally not a character.
>>
Comics are art, but they're shitty art.
>>
>>91538778
>Asami is literally not a character.
>literally

You should literally go back to Tumblr
>>
>>91539033
He's quite correct in the original sense of the word.
>>
>>91539033
>hello what is the english language
>>
File: 1448063669980.jpg (109KB, 486x535px) Image search: [Google]
1448063669980.jpg
109KB, 486x535px
>>91539033
>>
I just marathoned Legend of Aang. I kinda really wanna watch more Avatar stuff. Should I watch Korra, or will it ruin the LoA stuff for me?
>>
>>91539403
Just keep them separate in your mind, and it should be fine. I recommend reading the comics as well even though they suck about as much as LOK
>>
>>91539059
>>91539056
>>91539081

>tumblerina can't even use "literally" correctly
>thinks he can lecture people about language
>also desperate samefagging

Ha ha holy shit.
>>
>>91539403
I'd wait a bit honestly.

You need time to divorce AtlA from Korra.
>>
File: (you).png (59KB, 573x292px)
(you).png
59KB, 573x292px
>>91539578
>>
>>91539459
>>91539583
That bad huh? You're probably right. I thought launching right into LoK might be cool because it'd blend the two together but then that might be the exact problem.
>>
>>91539583

Will there be more Avatar stuff?

I really want some thing with a laid back and lazy Earthbending male.
>>
>>91539655
Considering the way Nick basically pulled the last season of Korra, no probably not outside comics.
>>
>>91532446
To point out more, it ya count the above angles of the battle during the day of black sun. You see men lying around the ground and can count less men at the end of the battle. It's a hard think to see unless ya pay attention to the details.
>>
>>91533847
The Ewok cartoon was great you faggot
>>
You want to compare?

ATLA is 3 season with an episode total of 61.
Korra is 4 seasons with an episode total of 52.

ATLA is about the tried and true heroes journey.
Korra is about a girl with a heavy flow problem.

ATLA was more focused on globe trotting around an interesting world.
Korra does the world a disservice by taking place primarily in a single city that is not even fleshed out particularly well.

ATLA has a central antagonist.
Korra has Flavors of the Month.

ATLA has a supporting cast of interesting characters.
Korra has a supporting cast who mostly down right lack any god damn character especially when compared to the characters who shared their roles in ATLA.

ATLA has a love interest that appears in episode 1.
Korra has an underdeveloped romantic rival that turns into a space occupier until finally an underdeveloped 11th hour love interest who exists for the express purpose of virtue signaling.

Aang learning a technique from a lion turtle so he doesn't have to kill Ozai is a bit contrived.
Korra's conflict resolutions however are one contrived event after another.
She uses air bending after having her other bending abilities are suppressed, I almost like that because she trained so much to try and air bend.
But both Tarrlok and Notak very conveniently die in a boat explosion.
2nd season is the worst as Korra becomes a big blue giant because of a magic tree, but also is helped by deus ex jinora.
3rd season is the best as korra enters the already established avatar state and then all the new airbenders use teamwork to take down Zaheer, a fellow new airbender.
4th season has a dictator who despite trying to murder her fiance moments earlier, loses her will to fight after Korra saves her from a laser. Her army also conveniently gives up so two women with no chemistry, one that practically stole her boyfriend twice, can hold hands.

Here is perhaps the most important part.
ATLA was made from 2005 to 2008.
Korra was made from 2012 to 2014.
>>
>>91534666
Earth>Fire>Change>=Air>Water>=Balance>>>>>Spirits
>>
File: advanced autism.jpg (11KB, 255x247px) Image search: [Google]
advanced autism.jpg
11KB, 255x247px
>>91532403
>>91532419
>>91532646
>>91533675
>>91533774
>ITT Retarded Opinions Thread
>>
>>91539899
Politics, Technology and perhaps most importantly, The Economy changed.

I think Korra is pretty good example of that change on account of how shitty it was.
>>
>>91540043
I think Korra is a perfect example of how to ruin a setting. Or even more technically, how sequalitus is very real.

Everything is bigger, better, faster. You had Metal bending? Fuck you here's an entire police force using it. Your Avatar mastered the four elements in a year? Ours has 3 from birth! Classical asian setting? 1920'S NEW YORK BABY!

They never stopped to ask if any of this was good or the right thing to do. They just did it to outdo what they had already done.
>>
>>91532403
>The animation and fight scenes are miles ahead of anything we saw in Avatar.
I wholeheartedly disagree. The fights in AtLA had a lot better choreography and bending felt more like a distinct martial arts style. The fighting in LoK barely had any of that, especially in regards to the titular Korra.
>>
>>91540250

I felt a lot of that was substituted for the generic Pro-bending style.

The most wonderfult thing about martial arts though, is that two people could train in the same "style" and still look completely different from each other in a fight.
>>
>>91538460
Oh, shit, really? I never watched the 4th season, couldn't after I heard about the ending.

>>91538778
>Mako essentially two-timed someone, and they all handled it pretty fucking badly

If Mako had been honest with himself, all of that could have been avoided. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he trying to away from Korra because Bolin liked her?

>not really talking about things

The didn't talk about about everything all at once, but they did get around to it. And there were other more important things going on in the background at the time.

>Bolin and Mako had a hard life, parents were murdered on the streets, and they had to grow up with just each-other. That's a hardening experience. Bolin doesn't reflect that. Like at all.

Sheilded by Mako growing up. Mako explains this himself at one point during the series. He knows Bolin is naive and immature and that it's kinda his fault. Which it is, but Bolin is also the type of person that just looks on the bright side.

>Asami is literally not a character.

She wasn't after season one, no, and it still hurts.
>>
>>91540337
That's what I mean. The four elements had completely different styles but even then there were specialized bending styles within those elements that were very different visually. Like you said, bending in Korra basically devolved into either your generic pro-bending style or some sort of generic street brawler style. Korra herself never used her bending interestingly and was mostly just a meathead for the entirety of the series.
>>
>>91538460
>LOK Toph is a straight-up bitch, and that's a huge problem.
ATLA Toph was a straight-up bitch. You just didn't notice it because she was cute.
>>
>>91540538
>ATLA Toph was a straight-up bitch.

But Katara was also a bitch, and watching them have a bitch battle royale was entertaining at least.
>>
>>91540538
No. She isn't. She's sassy, sure, but so's Sokka and nobody minds. Toph doesn't actually do any bitch things, aside from the few "teach Toph not to be a bitch" episodes.
>>
>>91540538
I thought she was cute as fuck, still didn't think she was a bitch. She was rude sometimes and inconsiderate, she could also be too gung-ho sometimes and was bullheaded.

I saw the flaws despite the cute, bitch was never what I saw from her.
>>
File: 1413672386066.gif (190KB, 250x166px)
1413672386066.gif
190KB, 250x166px
>Aang a bad parent meme
Aang was a decent parent. His non-airbender kids were just salty fuck-ups.
>>
>>91540621
Katara actually was a bitch sometimes.
>>
File: 1482493130365.jpg (17KB, 234x324px)
1482493130365.jpg
17KB, 234x324px
>>91540621

>You are now remembering Toph and Katara had a mud fight in bikinis
>>
>>91534885
>like how he had spirits attack in canon.
Do you mean when she was attacked en-route to the Fire Nation? Because that wasn't Unalaq.

Yeah, the dark spirit thing that was basically all being done by Unalaq? Not him, that time.
>>
>>91539403
Just watch it. It's not as bad as everyone says it is. Season 2 is pretty terrible but the rest is pretty gud.
>>
>>91540464
>wasn't he trying to away from Korra because Bolin liked her?
He told Bolin not to date in the team and kept himself away because he did have an attraction himself but he was already dating Asami. S1 Mako is bad, but not the travesty people have exaggerated him into.

>She wasn't after season one, no, and it still hurts.
Oh, honey. She was never a character.
>>
>>91533847
Star Wars was never that good.
The aesthetics are dull and mixing political conflict with "GOOD WUJU SPACE MAGIC vs. EVIL WUJU SPACE MAGIC" is a dumb idea
>>
>>91541508
>The aesthetics are dull
no
>and mixing political conflict with "GOOD WUJU SPACE MAGIC vs. EVIL WUJU SPACE MAGIC" is a dumb idea
yes
>>
>>91541066
I never thought he was a travesty. How bad have people been making him out to be?

>Oh, honey. She was never a character.
Come man, just let me have season one.
>>
>>91540538
You could tell she just had a tough exterior in ATLA
That was gone in LOK
>>
File: sweating-pepe.jpg (8KB, 218x218px) Image search: [Google]
sweating-pepe.jpg
8KB, 218x218px
>>91540043
I'm literally not sure if you're talking about the Avatar universe or the real world, and that is scary.
>>
>>91539899
/thread
>>
>>91532403
I think Comics are overated

I think Manga is honestly a much better medium

I hate super heroes in general

I think Watchmen is pretentious (only watched the movie)

Never really liked Carrie fisher
>>
>>91543195
>I think Comics are overated
By who? This board? No shit.
>I think Manga is honestly a much better medium
What distinguishes it (as a medium) from comics?

The rest aren't unpopular.
>>
File: Didnu nuffin.png (1MB, 1280x1491px)
Didnu nuffin.png
1MB, 1280x1491px
>Hey, Bro I have affections for Korra
>Mako proceeds to tell Korra he has affections for her and let her kiss him and he returned it, cucking his brother.
>Mako henceforth proceeds to shit all over Bolin non-stop in Korra.

Mako deserved to get his shit pushed in by Bolin.
>>
>>91543249
The same thing that distinguishes anime from cartoons.
>>
>>91543305
Which is what
>>
>>91543322
Anime and manga is made in Japan.
Comics and cartoons are made elsewhere.

And "made" excludes outsourcing for animation.
>>
>>91543354
So being Japanese makes your content better?
>>
>>91543305
not me

>>91543249
It's distinguished by bar of entry. Essentially; manga is actually diverse (not in Western terms of different colours = diverse but in actual ideas) and covers alot more. Western comics are sooo fucking derivative it hurts
>>
>>91543380
Not inherently, obviously, but yes, it does tend to be better. Japan has a very different culture from America and the West, after all.
>>
>>91543261
As someone who has cucked someone; the dick is a very hard thing to control.

Although cucking his own brother is pretty intense
>>
>>91543402
Manga has a lot of derivative shit anon. Like a LOT. But most of the derivative shit gets shoved into Light Novels, I guess.
>>91543433
Culture means nothing when faced with art. Good art transcends it. Bad art doesn't, of course.
>>
>>91532403
>The character relationships are richer and deeper than the ones explored in ATLA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>91543444
>the dick is a very hard thing to control.
That's why young men are giving up on women en masse now, right? Face it, you're a loser.
>>
>>91539403
Do the following:
- watch S01 of Korra
- read all the comics
-If you still enjoying It, stop. If you're starting to think its Just not that great, watch S02 of Korra just so you know for sure that it is shit and dont toutch It ever again.

Bônus: watch the rest anyway just so you can argue with the "you didnt even finish It" assholes.
>>
>>91543568
I dunno anon that seems unnecessarily salty. I think I'd just rather watch good things.
>>
>>91543568
To be fair, the assholes have a point. It's very hard to properly criticize something that you aren't even fully acquainted with. And I speak from experience.
>>
>>91543454
You clearly haven't studied cultural differences nearly enough if you actually think this.
>>
>>91540121
>I think Korra is a perfect example of how to ruin a setting.
Very much so.

This is a great analysis which goes into that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtNzgvoussk
>>
>>91543685
You clearly haven't studied art enough if you actually think this.

Or I suppose our culture is just so similar to Gilgamesh's, right?
>>
>>91543721
That's an issue Korra suffers with, but I was more talking about setting creep rather then power creep. But I will say power creep is an aspect of that.
>>
>>91544101
>setting creep
lmao who cares worldbuilding is for plebs

It only matters insofar as it matters to plot and characters (and hence to theme).
>>
>>91532403
so retard thread?
>>
>>91544164
>worldbuilding is for plebs

Bryke get the fuck out of this thread
>>
>>91543736
I have no idea what you're trying to say by that.
>>
>>91540121
This is one of my problems aswell. And you don't even mention how every conflict in LoK has to try and overdo Atlas. Super powerful firebender? We have a bloodbender that threatens the very existence of bending. An evil avatar that wants to literally destroy humanity. An airbender with a technique no one else have mastered for hundreds of years and a master Metal bender (unique metal bending too) that's harnesses sprits into extremely futuristic technology.

It's like LoK can't be grand enough and tries to be even more Epic and Big than Atla was. And somehow it fails every time because it just becomes silly.
>>
the voltron fanbase makes me happy that patlabor never really took off in the west
>>
>>91532403
I unironically agree and think the show was a good show. It just felt off as a equal to ATLA because the moods were so different. So I see why people that really liked ATLA and expected LoK to be ATLA2.0 got buttmad.
>>
>>91544614
Not this shitty "argument" again.
>>
>>91544642
damn you just ruined my whole post with some quotes guess I hate the show now

jk gonna go rewatch it
>>
>>91544614
>moving the goals

Korra is fucking shit on its own without even mention ATLA.
>>
>>91544708
I agree with you, but proper English is important for good arguments. It's "moving the goalposts".
>>
>>91540665
I mean, at least they addressed that she was a "preachy crybaby who makes overemotional speeches about hope all the time"
>>
>>91544708
? There's no goal in my whatever to be moved?

I'm just saying I agree with OP. I liked the stakes and it overall felt more real in LoK. But I remember /co/ before the premier and they were very much hyping KoH to be just ATLA2.0. All many wanted was to see the main gaang older and expected korra to be a goofy sokka-like character from the promo. I remember many were actually hoping for her to be a lesbian and making fun of tumblr for getting mad that some buff muscly kinda butch girl would be stereotypical gay.

I kinda peaced out after s1 cause the shipping bummed me from it and then /co/ was so shitty in discussing it. Then watched it fully a while ago and actually liked it in its entirety.

It's a pretty good show. I think if ATLA had never existed /co/ might have liked it more. Or if it were some separate show entirely.

It's also still weird to me that now /co/ hates a brown buff sexy lesbian character. Cause damn if that wasn't every checklist fetish years ago. What ever happened to that board tan that was just some brown buff muscle girl that represented all our fetishes?
>>
>>91540121
>Everything is bigger, better, faster. You had Metal bending? Fuck you here's an entire police force using it.
Because Toph became a legendary hero who was world renowned. A hero who would naturally want to share their abilities with fellow benders. It feels kind of asinine to say that it's lame and convenient when there's a good in-story reason for this to happen.
>Your Avatar mastered the four elements in a year? Ours has 3 from birth!
Yeah, and it makes her overconfident and lazy as a result. She is a classic case of wanting for nothing and that ending up making her eat crow when she bites off more than she can chew. You know, character development?
>Classical asian setting? 1920'S NEW YORK BABY!
Actually it's more like early 20th century Hong Kong. Is every big city New York now?
>They never stopped to ask if any of this was good or the right thing to do. They just did it to outdo what they had already done.
No. They took the first series to a natural conclusion and had a post-war world of coexisting benders. The conflicts are all smaller scale (save for the stuff with Unalaq) so you're grasping at straws here.
>>
>>91544969
chalking it up to being Atla nostalgia is wrong though. There's plenty of reason to not like LoK, and most of them have nothing to do with it's relation to Atla. As you said yourself the relationship shit is one example of a reason to dislike LoK.

As for Korra being a lesbian. I think people would be more positive about it if she actually was a lesbian. As it is it's just more virtue signalling with no substance to it at all. And when headcanon (bad headcanon at that) becomes real for political reasons it's usually not that great.

Not to mention that before making Korra a lesbian they kinda destroyed the interesting things about Korra, so all you have left is a less brown less muscly, less sexy non-lesbian shell of a character, it's really not that appealing anymore.
>>
>>91543588
Then don't watch LoK.

>>91543598
Let's put it this way: if a steak has shit in one of it's parts, is it a good or a bad steak? S02 is like that. It tainted the show entirely.
>>
>>91545189
Book 2 is a mixed bag. The Tenzin & family stuff is great and the Avatar lore works but the side characters literally have nothing to do and Unalaq was an awful villain. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater though.
>>
>>91532403
The consensus among the majority is that TLoK is worse than AtLA. This doesn't man TLoK was garbage, but it was at the very best above average. AtLA > TLoK and the normies even agree as showcased on review sites where AtLA still beats out TLoK on user rating. /co/ just ramps up the hate to eleven, but TLoK is not better than its predecessor.
>>
>>91544969
I really don't get it.. do people like you just ignore all the issues with LoK or something?

How could you even watch it seriously after S02? i'm being honest here; it breaks the entire thing. Tell me how you do it. It can't be because of the characters, because in LoK they are all just devices to move the plot. It could be design, maybe? but is that good enough that you ignore everything illogical in the show?

Also..
>I liked the stakes and it overall felt more real in LoK
i think it's more that you forgot how were the stakes in ATLA. They lost, and people died. Plenty of times.
>>
>>91545235
>Book 2 is a mixed bag
With the same argument, "LoK is a mixed bag". No, it's not. It has shit on it; again: would you eat the steak? by the way, i'm not saying it's "slightly bad".. it's Shit. At times it doesn't even make sense. Did you watch Korra turn into a giant for no fucking reason and ignored it because of "Tenzin and family" moments?
>>
>>91545189
And Book 4 was almost as bad as Book 2. In fact, if you exclude the Beginnings two-parter and the horrific damage it did to the whole franchise, I'd say Book 4 was much, much worse.
>>
>>91545105
>Actually it's more like early 20th century Hong Kong. Is every big city New York now?
HK was a colony with a British-appointed governor, not a republic. It's pretty clearly supposed to be the "melting pot" New York of Israel Zangwill.
>>
>>91545269
I'd say the consensus to the people that bother to give their opinion (basically: people that either loved or hated the show) is 4/10 or 8/10.

That begs the question.. what about the millions of people that just stop watching the show? i'd say that if it was so bad they just had to stop watching it, it is definitely below average for the majority of people.
>>
>>91539899
>ATLA is about the tried and true heroes journey.
>Korra is about a girl with a heavy flow problem.
Lol periods AMIRITE?? Lololol
Nice strawman you got there but Korra is about living as a hero instead of being one. It's about the day to day conflicts that come up from being a public figure and trying to keep from falling from already being at the top. Aang is climbing and Korra is maintaining.
>ATLA was more focused on globe trotting around an interesting world.
>Korra does the world a disservice by taking place primarily in a single city that is not even fleshed out particularly well.
Except we see modern Ba Sing Se in disrepair, the new Fire Nation, and Republic City is an excellent location with a great backstory.
>ATLA has a central antagonist.
>Korra has Flavors of the Month.
Flavors of the Month that all have more interesting motivations (save for Unalaq) than the Fire Lord did.
>>
File: 1470068112367.png (29KB, 1124x630px) Image search: [Google]
1470068112367.png
29KB, 1124x630px
>>91545637
>Korra is about living as a hero instead of being one
You do realize Korra caused S02, S03 and S04 of her own show, right?

>all have more interesting motivations (save for Unalaq) than the Fire Lord did
"muh daddy issues"
"muh chaos"

all of them are bad. Even Ozai.
>>
>>91545296
S2 was a weak point but I honestly felt like there were enough good things to keep me watching. That was the season where I felt like Tenzin really came into his own, Korra was undergoing some interesting changes, and I loved establishing Tenzin's siblings and his relationship with his children as well. I guess the themes of family resonated with me more than it would with your average young viewer.

But the stuff with Unalaq and Giant Korra were pretty bad.
>>
>>91545850
I understand, but i think Plot trumps Character. If the plot doesn't work, your show doesn't work. And that's precisely what happens with S02. Pic related.. there are too many issues to ignore. Honestly, i couldn't care less about Korra after she did so much stupid shit.
>>
>>91532403
So is an avatar spirit a manifestation of the original person, but not the person and as such does not retain their true mentality? Or is a past avatars spirit the actual person who is in spirit form and reacts as a regular individual would if they were a blue ghost?
>>
>>91545968
Well, in the real world understanding of reincarnation, it would be the same person.

However in Avatar it's not that at all. Or at least.. it's mixed. It's like those different people are just connected. At some point, Aang disagreed and even cut connections with Roku, for example. Both things should be impossible if they were the same person.

Korra also lost literally All the past lives. This should not be possible if they were the same person. Most likely, they retain part of the memories (Korra was still able to identify an item Wan had.. Aang did the same), but they aren't the same person.
>>
All the people hating on Book 2 don't even acknowledge best girl.
>>
>>91546136
So then Korra extinguished the spirits of all past avatars?
>>
>>91546158
That's a man.
>>
>>91546158
But that's Desna.
>>
>>91546267
Desna is best girl?
>>
>>91545968
In LoK it's a regular person that the spirit of good and light latched onto for whatever reason.
>>
>>91532747
Tbf, korra was originally supposed to be a one season spinoff. It was pretty shit that they tried to introduce tension by taking the MC's powers and then restored them in the span of one episode, but they had to wrap everything up neatly in case they didn't get renewed.
>>
>>91546516
So then the spirits are regular people called upon by the current avatar for their wisdom and guidance?
>>
>>91546188
I don't think she did so permanently. She could probably re-establish contact with them but I think it'd be hard to do.
>>
>>91546804
This is my head canon now.
>>
>>91546732
I guess. They're atleast somehow tied forever to Raava the spirit of light and good.
>>
File: 1483310425426.jpg (40KB, 720x720px)
1483310425426.jpg
40KB, 720x720px
>>91532403
>deus ex machina, the show, has more tension
I mean, it's your opinion, but like thinking eating shit of a man with diahrea won't get you sick, your opinion is just wrong.

Then again, pic related.
>>
>>91547083
In Korra it felt like anything could happen, especially after the two villains in the first season were dealt a murder-suicide. Season 2 Jinora asspulls aside (which I did have a problem with), the series consistently had me guessing as to what was coming next.

ATLA had almost no surprises except for Azula conquering Ba Sing Se.
>>
>>91547439
>the series consistently had me guessing as to what was coming next.
Again, your opinion is your opinion, it's just wrong. If you were surprised at any stage of Korra, I advise watching less shitty shows.
>>
>>91547538
Okay, bro. Just keep saying I like shitty shows instead of bringing up any actual arguments. Nice talking to you.
>>
>>91546679
The fact that they thought they only had one season makes it even worse. There was plenty more wrong with that finale too.
>>
>>91547083
>>91547538
An opinion can't be wrong.
>>
>>91545604
>so bad they just had to stop watching it
You're overthinking it. Most people who think things are TERRIBLE finish the experience because train wrecks are interesting. The people who stopped watching it (like me) probably didn't consider it that bad, just not good. Mediocre media is the worst kind of media.
>>
>>91547439
>In Korra it felt like anything could happen
That's usually a sign of terrible writing.
>>
>>91547679
Didn't they know they were only getting one season for AtLA too? Something along those lines anyway. What they should have done is just make TLoK end on a huge cliffhanger of some sort, while still satisfying the viewer with a finale. Then they should have demanded Nick give them more seasons. They were going to do that with AtLA anyway, so why not with the TLoK?
>>
>>91546136
>>91546188
>>91546804
Why are you guys acting like Korra purposely destroyed her past lives? That's not what happened and you know that's not what happened.
>>
>>91547716
>Didn't they know they were only getting one season for AtLA too?
Less than that, only 13 episodes were originally ordered, hence the mid-season break between 113 and 114 (and the writing changes between those episodes).
>>
>>91547754
We're talking about the spirits and their connections with the current avatar you dolt. Your insinuation of us discussing the definition of spirits in Avatar as an accusation of Korra fucking up huge is disgusting, and I will deal no further with you cretin.
>>
>>91547699
I provide an example of one right there in my post, my friend.

>>91547837
But she did fuck up. That's why he thinks any discussion related to it is an accusation she did.
>>
>>91547835
Well than that's even more retarded.
>>
>>91547837
Don't call me a cretin you fucking goober
>>
>>91547873
Korra fucking up is a non sequitur to the discussion we were having, I'm not saying she didn't fuck up, just that the conversation being had was not about her, but the spirits and their relations to their flesh and "souls". Just wanted to clear that up.
>>
>>91547706
I meant specifically that the first season finale genuinely shocked me. I did not expect to see Tarrlok kill himself and Amon in the last episode. Suddenly anyone felt like fair game. ATLA never dealt with anything that heavy. That's more what I meant.
>>
>>91548028
Not everything shocking is a good idea to put in a show, anon. IMO that part of the ending was a very, very bad idea for multiple reasons.
>>
>>91548106
Multiple reasons you're not going to list here?
>>
>>91532403
>Azula was built up so well as a villain.

No she wasn't she was a foil for Zuko. The real villain was Ozai who manipulated her for his own personal gain. In reality Azula was just a much of a victim as Zuko.
>>
>>91548195
No, these multiple reasons: it sends a terrible message despite supposedly being a "more mature" show (most important!!!), it stops a villain without Korra herself having to do anything (or even knowing about it! That's a major plothole BTW), and it destroys an excellent plot opportunity for a future season.
>>
>>91547754
>Why are you guys acting like Korra purposely destroyed her past lives
It wasn't on purpose, but it was retarded. She literally GAVE Unalaq his powers when she could just not.
>>
>>91548272
>No, these multiple reasons: it sends a terrible message despite supposedly being a "more mature" show (most important!!!)
What terrible message? Are you talking morals? Because I don't even know what you're talking about here.
>it stops a villain without Korra herself having to do anything (or even knowing about it! That's a major plothole BTW)
To be honest, I liked that it ended up being his brother who did him in. It gave you this feeling of Korra being powerless at the end of the first season and that she couldn't just solve everything on her own.
>and it destroys an excellent plot opportunity for a future season.
Amon coming back would have been ridiculous. What would he even do? He had already lost the ideological battle because his followers deserted him.
>>
>>91548492
>What terrible message? Are you talking morals? Because I don't even know what you're talking about here.
The message that giving up on oneself is OK.
>>
>>91532403
I know /co/ is suppose to be contrarian but come the fuck on.
>>
>>91547640
>Just keep saying I like shitty shows instead of bringing up any actual arguments
Not him, but Korra surprised in the wrong way.

One thing is a smart plot twist that makes you say "holy shit". Another is a twist that happens only because people did something stupid. Amon killing himself makes ZERO sense; he had no reason to, literally. Korra airbending in the end didn't make any sense either, and learning to control the avatar state made even less. S02 basically everyone was dumbed down to force the plot so let's not even talk about it.. and the same thing kind of happens at the beginning of S03: the entire plan of "let's just go ask people to become nomads", and Zaheer escaping is stupid in the first place, and both only works because of a coincidence. And let's not even mention the ridiculous giant mecha in S04. What good surprises LoK had?
>>
File: 1486773943853.png (249KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1486773943853.png
249KB, 512x384px
you want unpopular opinions? I'll give you unpopular opinions.
>I liked the majority of LoK (aside from most of season 2 and the finale, obviously)
>Jinx is better than Raven
>The 4Kids opening for One Piece wasn't really that bad (More /a/ than /co/, but I digress)
>John Dimaggio is just as good of a Joker VA as Mark Hamill
>Nickelodeon's over-reliance on nostalgia is going to cause them to crash and burn in a few years, as they'll have used all the love from their past shows but have no new shows to fall back on
>CN is starved for any good ideas or creators due to their shit scheduling and executive fuckups, leading to the company basically becoming the McDonald's of animation (with only a few people unable to jump ship)
>Stuart Snyder's time at Cn makes him look like a fucking GOD compared to Christina Miller
>>
>>91548636
Good surprises? Amon's reveal where he steals bending (and the whole waterbender reveal), Asami's father betraying the group, Korra losing her bending, Tarrlok killing himself and Amon, seeing Zhao in the Spirit World, Bumi destroying the encampment, Korra losing contact with the other Avatars at the end of Book 2, Korra opening up the Spirit World, Zuko showing up, the Red Lotus poisoning Korra in the Avatar state, Jinora and the other airbenders helping Korra beat Zaheer

There's plenty.
>>
File: 1491968633294.jpg (64KB, 582x652px)
1491968633294.jpg
64KB, 582x652px
Daredevil>Iron Fist>Luke Cage=Jessica Jones
The MCU shows are more interesting than the movies.
Every DC live action show is shit, though Arrow was once good.
MoS and BvS are better than every MCU movie, though SS is garbage.
Bendis is a great writer on street level heroes.
Damian Wayne is a terrible character and only tolerable in Tomasi’s Batman and Robin
Ed Edd and Eddy is a terrible show with horrendous voice acting, a vomit-inducing artstyle, and irredeemably grating characters. Same goes for American Dad
Pixar hasn’t made a decent movie since the first Toy Story.
The Incredibles is disgustingly overrated and a genuinely awful film that doesn’t even look as good as Pixar movies that came before it.
Inside Out is also incredibly overrated, but looks nice and is merely mediocre.
Zootopia is just okay.
Rick and Morty is entertaining but anyone who thinks it's any deeper than a kiddie pool is delusional
The new MvC and Injustice games look terrible.
>>
File: 1489922845118.png (90KB, 303x304px)
1489922845118.png
90KB, 303x304px
>>91549287
>The Incredibles is disgustingly overrated and a genuinely awful film that doesn’t even look as good as Pixar movies that came before it.

Fuck you bitch ass nigga.
>>
>>91549222
Are you going to post any? All you posted where bad or neutral surprises.
>>
Most Looney Tunes, Chuck Jones aside, is just forgettable slapstick humor

Also, MGM and Disney shorts were better than Warner's.
>>
>>91549397
At least LoK had surprises. ATLA was linear as hell. The only surprises happened in Ba Sing Se.
>>
File: 1450815435301.jpg (205KB, 869x906px)
1450815435301.jpg
205KB, 869x906px
>>91549222
>Amon's reveal where he steals bending
Him being a bloodbender was a bad reveal and broke his entire character; his story makes no sense as a bloodbender. Not only that makes him a hypocrite, it made all of his motivation to be "daddy issues".

>Asami's father betraying the group
it's not really a reveal if we could see it a mile away

>Korra losing her bending
Don't mix 'reveal' with 'shit that happened in the show'. We're talking about things we did not expect.

>Tarrlok killing himself and Amon
For no reason. Again, bad reveal.

>seeing Zhao in the Spirit World
in a mist that took Tenzin 15 minutes to get out. Bad reveal.

>Bumi destroying the encampment
that was retarded. And again.. don't mix the events of the show with 'reveal'.

>Korra losing contact with the other Avatars at the end of Book 2
because she was retarded and gave Unalaq powers. Just bad.

>Korra opening up the Spirit World
because she was retarded and didn't know spirits fuck shit up. Bad.

>Zuko showing up
expected

>Red Lotus poisoning Korra in the Avatar state
You mean, using Plot metal. Yeah.. no.

>Jinora and the other airbenders helping Korra beat Zaheer
nonsensical powers. Tecnically that was airbending during the entire show anyway..
>>
>>91550361
Your pic reminded me that Toph showing up was a pleasant surprise.
>>
File: oh shit.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
oh shit.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>91549222
But you missed the best one
>>
>>91550681
Such a great moment.
>>
>>91550574
"characters appearing on-screen are a surprise"

Your life must be full of emotion.
>>
I'm kind of amazed at /co/'s ability to utterly loathe this series. Now I know how to troll in the future.
>>
>>91549222
A little more and you would put Korrasami on your list.
>>
>>91551416
Probably. U mad?
>>
>>91550681
>What... are you?
>I am the solution.
>>
File: 1466555138276.jpg (25KB, 600x600px)
1466555138276.jpg
25KB, 600x600px
>>91551424
Go back to /u/.
>>
File: 1492116623142.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492116623142.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>91549222
You forgot the time P'li lost her mind
>>
>>91547704
As someone who stopped watching it because it was terrible, I have to disagree with you.
>>
>>91551579
Of course it's Suyin, the biggest shitheap in a show full of shitheaps, that kills the interesting villain.
>>
>>91547704
Not me I shit talk korra all day and I stopped at the end of the first volume because the shit went from mediocre to fucking awful in the last three episodes . I don't get why anyone would finish it. It started strong but lacking. Kept getting worse and then those last three episodes showed me that bryke should never ever do anything more than story board.

I heard season 2 ruins their own fucking mythology by introducing spirit satan and the one episode of three I saw was bad too. Korra was not good.
>>
>>91548636
Tarrlok killed them, not Amon. Amon was the one driving the boat.
>>
>>91551636
>interesting villain
>Miss Sparky Sparky Boom

Yeah no
>>
>>91549222
Seeing Zhao in the spirit world was a surprise? We knew he was dead. Wut?
>>
File: Out.jpg (21KB, 327x375px)
Out.jpg
21KB, 327x375px
>>91532403
>I have to say that overall it's been superior to ATLA.
>>
>>91532419
Yes he is.

Korra was shit.
>>
>>91550361
>in a mist that took Tenzin 15 minutes to get out. Bad reveal.
Now hang on buddy, it's okay to have episodic threats. The Zhao thing was a good way to not only give resolution to his character but also set up a threat for the current episode. It's one of the very few things Korra did okay with.
>>
>>91550681
I am forever butthurt Amon was just a bloodbender.

He should've won.
>>
File: Kuvira.png (379KB, 843x578px) Image search: [Google]
Kuvira.png
379KB, 843x578px
Best character and also biggest disappointment has to be pic related. If we actually had time to give her a decent backstory/motivation besides" muh orphan", she could have been one of the best villains ever.

Forget babby's first communism lesson, I'm talking about a villain we see grow, train and plan her missions, she has flaws, she starts getting power hungry, but she would have pushed this fucking universe to the 21st century in two decades if it wasn't for that pesky lesbian.
>>
>>91549222
>Asami's father betraying the group,
This shit makes it sound like you don't even know what you're talking about.
There was nothing remotely interesting about Hiroshi betraying the group, he had bad guy written all over him.
I dislike LoK and I think that Asami is one of the worst written characters I've ever had the misfortune of viewing, however, I will gladly admit that her rejecting her Dad was one of the few great scenes in that show. The interesting twist in that whole ordeal was that the rich bitch who was making out with Korra's crush WASN'T a secret villain and had some moral fibre.
Hiroshi was a completely disposable character (and so was Asami for the majority of the later show, but I digress) the real focus of that scene was Asami, and her action in not reverting to her character trope was what was genuinely surprising.
>>
>>91554090
Yeah she was also genociding all non-earth benders in the Earth Kingdom.
>>
>>91554164
Which again sounds like bad writing. I know it's a children's show after all, but I think if it wasn't for the very hamfisted eugenics/racism going on there would have been no way to just call her a villain that has to be stopped, it would have been too gray for it to handle properly.
>>
>>91554183
Kuvera's thing was she was a mix of Napoleon and a little of Hitler and just practicing fascism.

She was restoring the national identity of the Earth Kingdom post-revolution and was eliminating people of Non-Earth Kingdom + Earth Bender descent.

One culture. One nation. One people. One ruler.
>>
>>91554183
That's all LoK ever does. Introduces villains as though they're going to force Korra to deal with profound, difficult and mature topics and then just reduces the antagonists to cackling maniacs who can be punched away without ever needing to confront the subject at hand.

Ozai wasn't a deep villain but he was never promised as such. He fit the bill as an evil Emperor and Mark Hamill played the part beautifully. His real menace was the suffering that he and his armies had inflicted on the main characters lives. Genocide in Aang's case, killing Katara and Sokka's Mom, abusing Zuko and controlling Azula.

LoK baddies are introduced as representing topics such as genetic-based social inequality, anarchism, military dictatorships etc. and then all end up being just as two-dimensional as Ozai, without any of the character stuff that made him work.

Unalaq, surprisingly enough, was the only one who didn't really promise to represent some sort of complex, real-life struggle AND had ties to Korra's family. But everything about him was fucking stupid, so let's not dwell on that bullshit.
>>
File: 5n8M4MR.png (61KB, 550x400px)
5n8M4MR.png
61KB, 550x400px
>>91554223
Tell me how this is not the ideal scenario in any futuristic sci-fi utopia. The only thing against it is when it becomes too restrictive and forces the general populace to become mindless drones, which I find very hard to happen in a world where there's no firearms and there's a considerable amount of people who can use Kuvira's weapons (metal bending) against herself, plus the Avatar. How else do you control a country [presumably] as big as China?
>>
>>91532403
The same people who remorselessly take the piss out of Legend of Korra are eating up the latest season of Samurai Jack, a show which is undeniably inferior.

Autists had set up a level of fan-fiction expectation for Korra that the show was never going to fulfill.

All Jack has to do is reintroduce The Scotsman and everyone starts howling and pounding their dicks in excitement.
>>
>>91554288
>Tell me how this is not the ideal scenario in any futuristic sci-fi utopia.
For a place like China, you need to purge people not Han Chinese which happened a lot and then people assimilated into the culture.

Genocide or destruction of unique or mixed sub-culture isn't a cool thing man.

> How else do you control a country [presumably] as big as China?
Literally by offering people bread and butter.

You can also do some variant of a gun to the head or hate to specific group of people creating a constant threat. This is one reason the CPC is in control of China, they offered bread and butter + some other shit to the population.

Its mostly bread and butter, once that shit stops China is going to get fucked hard.

In the Avatar's world, bending itself is a gun so a strong bending force like the Dai Li is good enough to keep people in line. It also doesn't help in the Avatar world they got Mecha tanks with enough shock in their hands to kill a horse + missiles for their non-Earth benders + bombs in bi-planes and airships. So a gun isn't worth a damn.
>>
>>91554385
Oh no, please don't think I'm being edgy saying we should purge until achieving one identity, like I said in >>91554183 , uniting everyone is a positive, while killing off everyone else was (in my opinion) just a cop out to make it obvious she was the villain, which I think ruined her whole character.
>>
>>91554410
>While killing off everyone else was (in my opinion) just a cop out to make it obvious she was the villain, which I think ruined her whole character.
Yeah, this true. They could've done other ways to make Kuvera evil, but didn't and took the short route.

>Achieving one identity,
Aside from genociding until there is a small culture and getting them to adapt to the mass culture.

The literal easiest way to do it. Is to do it the American way, aka the American Melting Pot. No matter where you are from + whatever culture/language/religion you have, you mix it all in and put being an American above it.

Which imo is something Kuvera should've done with a nation as big as the Earth Kingdom. Wu was stupid to make all the states independent democracies and should've optioned for a constitutional federal monarchic republic
>>
>>91532446

>That's called worldbuilding.

ATLA is horrendous at it. Nothing felt cohesive or in any depth. Towns are introduced and never seen again.

> Jet

Reaching here. All we have is word of God. He doesn't actually die in show.
>>
>>91555541
>ATLA is horrendous at it.
pfft, whatever man.
>Reaching here. All we have is word of God. He doesn't actually die in show.
Come on, now you're being obtuse.
Thread posts: 254
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.