[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for western graphic novel recs.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: Magellan_Warriors_3.png (734KB, 678x991px) Image search: [Google]
Magellan_Warriors_3.png
734KB, 678x991px
I am a big fan of the insanely popular One Piece and other manga too.

It's humor is kind of hit and miss for me, but when it hits it fucking hits. I enjoy the subversive superpowers (like the one's in jojo's bizzare adventure), and I am very fond of the sense of intimidation new strong characters bring, plus it never gets old or seems cheap like in DBZ or something.

The only western comic that I have ever read is Scott Pilgrim, I intend to stay away from the DC/Marvel stuff, yes I read some deadpool, no, I was not impressed.
>>
The genre you're a fan of (shonen fighting) is just not something that really exists in Western comics, especially not in graphic novel format.

The closest I can recommend is Invincible, which is over 100 issues, so again not a graphic novel, but I don't really get why you're asking for graphic novel recs if you want them to be similar to Japanese series with hundreds and hundreds of chapters.

It sounds to me like you're better off asking for manga recs from /a/.
>>
One Piece isn't a graphic novel.
>>
>>91512274
I'd honestly recommend the Goon. Starts off kinda silly, lots of fighting, but it's got moments that get incredibly introspective and somber. Tragic backstories everywhere.
>>
>>91512380
>One Piece
not relevant bruh, a graphic novel series could conceivably have the same qualities as one piece, being long as shit is not the only thing it has going for it.
>>
File: 1339308151836.png (62KB, 512x398px) Image search: [Google]
1339308151836.png
62KB, 512x398px
What kind of western stuff do you want?
>>
>>91512499
> I'm a fan of manga
> I'm looking for graphic novel recs

Graphic novels as a format are not nearly as prevalent in manga as they are here.
>>
>>91512525
Anything that's not DC/Marvel and that has subversive elements. i would prefer it not to be too tame but I don't want some edgy bullshit.
>>
>>91512736
How very specific, Anon. Really, great help. God forbid you suggest, you know, a GENRE.
>>
OP /co/ generally doesn't mind giving recs as long as you have an idea of what you want. Coming and saying "I want to read comics, gimmie" doesn't tell us anything. If you were on /a/ the entire board would come together to tell you to kill yourself.

Even saying no big 2 doesn't help, because that still leaves an ocean of other comics. Give us a genre. Western, Sci Fi, horror, fucking anything that can give people a clue as to what you want.

Since you like One Piece, maybe try IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Its basically a battle shonen that folllows a close knit cast that faces increasingly more threatening opponents.
>>
>>91512759
Any fantasy / scifi, slice of life provided that it's not highschool bullshit and maybe superhero shit if it's not total bullshit.
>>
>>91512736
Try reading Sandman
>>
File: Elric-Coverweb.jpg.size-600.jpg (92KB, 600x798px) Image search: [Google]
Elric-Coverweb.jpg.size-600.jpg
92KB, 600x798px
>>91513020
>fantasy
Recommending real quick.
>>
>>91512274
You should read Batman. I hear that's pretty good.
>>
>>91513044
>>91513020

That and the original adaptations.
Want sci fi?

Fucking SHAKARA!
>>
Luther strode, orc stain, atomic robo, invincible, the boys, chew are some things you should look into.
>>
>>91512274
I like Hellboy a lot.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.