[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Jack told the Daughters of Aku they could either walk away

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6

File: SJ.gif (2MB, 493x272px) Image search: [Google]
SJ.gif
2MB, 493x272px
>Jack told the Daughters of Aku they could either walk away and live, or stay in the battlefield and die
>they refuse to turn back
>and thus, they are murdered
>Jack later tries to rationalize it by saying they choose that path willingly
>tfw Jack didn't know that they didn't willingly have a choice because of their mother
>>
>>91491242
And now you see why he tried so hard to establish a rapport with Ashi and turn her away from evil.
>>
>>91492207
This shitty excuse doesn't remotely justify the sudden change. Just like the "death is failure" excuse doesn't justify Ashi's disregard for her sisters even after the battle had died down.
>>
yes, good job, you figured out what the episode plainly and directly explained
>>
>>91492236
Maybe not, but Jack's schizophrenic mind does. Ever consider that maybe he has bipolarism on top of all his PSTD-laden horrors?
>>
>>91492236

>Ashi's disregard for her sisters

Her sisters were willing to let her get the shit kicked out of her and die all throughout her childhood. It's like some kind of anti-bootcamp, no-one would give a real shit about each other after that. And this was at least for more than 15 years, rather than the standard 3-6 months.

>B-b-but blood is thicker than water

'The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb'.

That being said parents can usually get away with a lot more than siblings in terms of assholery before they get unattached, siblings can fuck right off if they've been cunts to each other their entire life.
>>
They were trying to murder him and he did everything he could to descalate the situation.

Killing them was justifiable self defense.
>>
>>91491242
That's stupid, if parenting means they didn't have a choice than no one has a choice.
>>
>>91493050
You're forgetting one important point: Ashi is NOT like the rest of her sisters. We're supposed to suspend our disbelief that she would stop attacking Jack, even momentarily, over a ladybug, yet she doesn't care about her sisters at all?
>>
>>91492267
It was not shown well, if that was what the writing was trying to portray (which I highly doubt). And it is extremely difficult to show well, so it would probably be best not to attempt it in the first place.
>>
>>91494780

Guess what? You LITERALLY cannot choose your parents.
>>
>>91491242
>It was MURDERED!
According to what law?
>>
>>91495436

She never loved her sisters. But she always had a fascination with nature from a young age.

Hell she would take first watch at night so she could watch the stars.

It's really not that hard to understand. I thinlbGenndy have you more than enough clues.
>>
>>91492267
>Ever consider that maybe he has bipolarism on top of all his PSTD-laden horrors?

There's been no evidence or tendencies hinting at bipolar disorder in the previous episodes.

However Jack's had more than enough hallucinations that strongly suggest he's either suffering from PTSD or schizophrenia.
>>
>>91495539
I know what Genndy was trying to show. It's just that it doesn't work. People's personalities don't bifurcate like that.
>>
>>91496228

It's a fucking cartoon.
>>
>>91496248
Sweet, I win the argument.
>>
>>91496275

DRAT

FOILED AGAIN
>>
>>91496228
>People's personalities don't bifurcate like that

You majored in fictional psychology, I assume? How many assassins trained since birth for a single purpose do you know?
>>
>give them the choice to live or die
>they all choose death
>he still refuses to kill the last one

What a faggot. She chose death. You have a duty to kill her, not drag her around and protect her against her will.
>>
>>91496327

She was rendered harmless by him, he won't kill her when she isn't a threat.
>>
>>91492236
>>91496248
>>91496275
Keep in mind that Ashi spent the whole episode being mean, and Jack still helped her out of the goodness of her heart. She was told he was evil all her life, but now that she was able to think for herself and see how Jack really is, she can see that her side lied to her all her life.

As for the end, we're not suddenly getting Ashi jumping ship and devoting her life to becoming Jack's wife. She realized what she previously thought was wrong, and just didn't attack. She could still hold resentment to him, and she could still try to kill him after taking time to think.
>>
>>91496325
It's completely unreasonable to have a character go against the very essence of her training because of an insect, while ignoring her own flesh and blood. Human instincts are still a thing, training or not.
>>
>>91496377
You're completely missing my point. Here, I summed it up for you: >>91496381
>>
>>91496404

I'd say he addressed your point.
>>
>>91496437
He didn't even touch on it. Idiot.
>>
>>91496450

Can't touch what isn't there.
>>
>>91496228

>People's personalities don't bifurcate like that.

Except that's completely wrong. Hitler loved animals and was a vegetarian. That didn't mean he also wasn't willing to have one of his best friends murdered for the sake of winning over the state military. Or rounding up people for slave labor and genocide purposes.

I don't understand why so many of you think she had to give a fuck about her sisters. She wasn't really raised in a normal environment, her whole childhood was getting beaten up and made to run bizarre assassin training obstacle courses over and over again, and it didn't look like they were given much time (or permission) to hang out and bond with each other. It's completely reasonable for her to have an interest in the natural wonders kept away from her while also not having much of an interest in her sisters.
>>
>>91496471
>Idiot.
>>
>>91496381
>Because of an insect

That's mostly the tipping point. Episodes 3 and 4 showed that her mother couldn't beat her fascination for nature out of her, while it was never established that she had any sympathy for her sisters. In fact, the show goes out of its way to show that she disdains them completely.

>Human instincts are still a thing, training or not.

I'm not one to say "it's a cartoon" often, but if the criticism is based on a nature vs nurture debate, which has arguments for both positions in real life, then shouldn't the in-universe rules have the final say on it on the show? Jack regularly performs impossible physical feats, even for a peak human. Yet since it's done consistently, we accept it. So, maybe you're a supporter of the idea that no matter how much indoctrination a person gets, they still can feel a connection solely based on blood. But that's not how the character is. With the rules that were settled, the transition was done well.

>>91496527
Also this. People's personalities can be radically different from what we expect. Genocidal dictators are not unrealistic characters just because they felt compassion for things that don't seem that important to normal people.
>>
>>91496377
She spent the episode being mean and Jack being nice, but keep in mind that the previous episode involved him brutally murdering all of her sisters. That she would forgive him for that, or actually think he's a good person despite the slaughter because she saw some bugs is kind of silly
>>
>>91494780
Anon, there are different ways of raising people. All parents influence their children, not all of them straight up brainwash their kids.

Generally speaking, we do actually treat kids that have been abused and manipulated by their parents differently from ones that have simply turned bad out of self-interest and the like.
>>
>>91496527
Hitler loved animals and was a vegetarian.lmao
Jesus Christ, what a cuck.
>>
>>91496527
Because, as we saw in the flashback (and also to some extent in episode 1), she was specifically told to ignore nature just as much as to ignore her sisters. If that weren't true you might've had a point.
>>
>>91496617

What part of "She had no affection or attachment for her sisters" don't you get?
>>
>>91496527
Also, in addition to this, has nobody considered that while she may not think much of her sisters' deaths now, she might come to realize how much her mother's obsession has cost her later?

She currently has no context for what a normal family is, or what familial bonds mean. Shit, bruh, if the deer thing is any indication she doesn't even understand the concept of one creature being intimately connected to another one.

Being introduced to this stuff will probably cast a new light on her past for her.
>>
>>91496658
even if they weren't related, he killed them. He's a killa.
>>
>>91496644

But she never lost that fascination with nature despite her mom's efforts.

It's not unfeasible, besides somewhere along the way she got the idea that Aku was responsible for the creation of nature. Which clearly could not be the case.
>>
>>91496644

That's not true. She was told creatures like the ladybug were frivolous distractions. She wasn't told her sisters were frivolous distractions. They were trained that their mission was everything, death is failure, and that they shouldn't help each other because weakness shouldn't be rewarded. But none of the sisters were ever kept away from Ashi thereby amplifying her initial curiosity / interest about them the way natural phenomena like the view outside or the ladybug were. Her sisters were right there beside her every day. She had no reason to be curious about them, they were some of the least mysterious and least interesting things in her very narrow cult based life.
>>
>>91496617
>keep in mind that the previous episode involved him brutally murdering all of her sisters

She leaves her sister's bloodied corpse to the ministrations of nature while remarking that she was a failure. Normal sibling relationship values clearly do not apply here.

>That she would forgive him for that

She hasn't done that. She just stopped and thought about something, as far as we know.

>or actually think he's a good person despite the slaughter

We have no indication that this is the case. Literally all we know is that she stopped to think about stuff.
>>
>>91496727
>>91496728
You don't understand basic biology? Humans have a MUCH stronger instinct to protect other humans, than to protect "nature", much less insects.
>>
>>91496644
I don't think any of the ignoring her sisters stuff she was taught was about purging emotion, but building trust. Their whole battle formation and fighting styles were all based on them completely trusting each other to the point they can all function as an extremely deadly and efficient team. If one of the sisters is or shows weakness, they others cannot rely on her and the whole group suffers. They could still care for each other, but during a chase/fight, they have to remain pragmatic and focused and had no time to mourn the dead ones along the way.
>>
>>91496801
You don't understand basic psychology? Humans don't come in one stripe and can turn out pretty far from the norm, especially if raised in a way that is far, far outside that norm.
>>
>>91496782

>We have no indication that this is the case. Literally all we know is that she stopped to think about stuff.

In fact the future episode synopses explicitly tell us she isn't on Jack's side yet. One of the future episode synopses says Ashi will be seeing all the good Jack has done in helping other people which will help make her reevaluate her allegiance to Aku.
>>
>>91496644
She was told to "Bask in the glory of what their master had created". He mother used her love for nature as a mean to fuel her hatred for Jack. Also, her sisters had nothing of interest to offer to her, they were just there, and she was taught not to value life.

>>91496801
Jack is able to jump a hundred feet high and survive 700 tons falling on him. The show obviously takes a few liberties with "basic biology"
>>
>>91496801

Hitler loved animals, had close friends murdered for personal gain. Fuck off, we've been over this, you're not right. There's no magical instinct that makes this sort of behavior impossible. Lots of people don't give a fuck about their siblings but do love nature. I like doggos myself and didn't bother going to my brother's wedding.
>>
>>91491242
>and thus, they are murdered

No, not murdered. The Daughters of Aku attacked him without any form of provocation, and with the explicit intention of killing him, so that makes his actions justifiable homicide by way of self-defense under any reasonable legal standard (even accounting for the Daughters' tragic circumstances).
>>
>>91496916
>The show obviously takes a few liberties with "basic biology"
It also takes liberties with basic common sense, apparently, since it doesn't take a genius to know that YOU DO NOT RAISE FEMALES TO TAKE DOWN THE WORLD'S STRONGEST MALE. Oh wait, I guess that's basic biology too...
>>
>>91496527
To be fair wasn't his vegetarianism more due to him processing meat badly rather than wanting to spare animals?

Also forgetting the whole bonding issue. Her and her sisters were taught to disregard one another's well being and THEIR OWN. Ashi was elated that Jack was seemingly doomed despite it meaning she was doomed herself.
>>91496658
Not just a lack of affection or attachment, they were BORN TO DIE.

>>91496689
That'd be an interesting turn if Jack taught her to realize the value of life....then the value he taught her drums up weird resentment
>>91496848
I don't really see a trust component in there. They became an efficient unit but their mother taught them to totally disregard them the second they goofed. There would be no mourning later. She died, oh fucking well.
>>
>>91496973

>YOU DO NOT RAISE FEMALES TO TAKE DOWN THE WORLD'S STRONGEST MALE

The show didn't get that wrong. It accurately depicted them getting casually murdered by Jack in about five seconds despite all coming at him at once. The character in the show who thought that was a good idea was also accurately depicted as completely psychotic.
>>
>>91496916
>Jack is able to jump a hundred feet high and survive 700 tons falling on him.
That's not comparable. They're just numbers. You could easily change them in your head if the suspension of disbelief is too difficult.

That's not really possible for qualitative things.
>>
File: hitler.jpg (39KB, 545x345px) Image search: [Google]
hitler.jpg
39KB, 545x345px
>>91497016

>To be fair wasn't his vegetarianism more due to him processing meat badly rather than wanting to spare animals?

It was both. Here's a picture of him with palling around with animals so we don't even have to debate his vegetarian motivations though.
>>
>>91497035
>completely psychotic
But not in this sense! Or have we switched sides in our main argument here, with you now saying that "psychotic" means "psychotic in every way"?
>>
>>91496932
apparently he could have just incapacitated them, removing the threat they pose and his reason to kill them, and then they'd get to live. Instead he decided to murder them all.
>>
File: 051.jpg (42KB, 500x701px) Image search: [Google]
051.jpg
42KB, 500x701px
>>91497016
>>91497070

Another one with doggy.
>>
>>91497076
This really bothers me too.
>>
>>91496450
Different anon here, he blew you the fuck out, dumbass.

Make a real argument like he did
>>
>>91494780
Anon the High Priestess had brainwashed the Seven Sisters. They had no choice because hammered into arrows and fired at Jack.
>>
File: goer2.jpg (40KB, 394x642px) Image search: [Google]
goer2.jpg
40KB, 394x642px
>>91497016
>To be fair wasn't his vegetarianism more due to him processing meat badly rather than wanting to spare animals?

>In the BBC series The Nazis: A Warning from History, an eyewitness account tells of Hitler watching movies (which he did very often). If ever a scene showed (even fictional) cruelty to or death of an animal, Hitler would cover his eyes and look away until someone alerted him the scene was over.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler_and_vegetarianism

>>91497076
A little easier said than done. It's easier to incapacitate 1 person when it's one on one, instead of one on 7. The guy was on the defense for the majority of the time.
>>
>>91497016
the mother teaches them NOT to goof, to be perfect, or they will fucking die and possibly kill their sisters because of it. They are trained to be perfect, and to trust their sisters will perform perfectly. The same way any group performance works.
>>
>>91497118
HE DID NOT EVEN TOUCH ON MY ARGUMENT!

Fucking shit, I thought 4chan was an 18+ site?
>>
>>91497072

I have no idea what you're even asking.

All I pointed out is the priestess was psychotic. She leads a cult dedicated to a demonic wizard entity who describes himself as "evil" and she spent 20 years or so having her seven daughters trained to do a single assassination job for this demonic wizard entity when she doesn't even communicate with him or have any sort of relationship to him. I didn't say anything about whether she was non-psychotic in other areas of her life unless you take "completely psychotic" super-literally. The "completely" was an adjective I threw in to emphasize how severely crazy she was, not a claim that there were literally no sane-esque behaviors she engaged in. I'm guessing she didn't have an eating disorder for example. And I don't think she was bipolar. She also seemed to be able to take care of stuff like personal hygiene. She was still a crazy cult leader.
>>
>>91497076

Incapacitating one person and incapacitating seven is completely different.
>>
>>91497167
Can you adopt a name or something so you can be filtered?
>>
>>91497148
He clearly regained the advantage after the second spearing. Once he was on the tree, he was in total control of that fight.
>>
>>91497148
>Hitler was a beta orbiter for some Nurse during WW1 and got all mopey when he found out she got married and had kids in Italy after the war
>Couldn't watch animals die in movies
>Was gassy
Jeez Adolf was such a fucking weenie.
>>
>>91497196
Now that you've explicitly asked for that I won't even consider it. I can tell most of /co/ would really like to be able to just filter out the few posters of interesting, original content, to remain a hivemind.
>>
>>91497076
Jack didn't really have a choice with six of them. They seem fucking relentless.
>>
>>91497101
>>91497070

I can now go around calling vegans nazis. This shit is too good.
>>
Why are people acting like Ashi' s character arc is already complete?
>>
File: skinner.gif (1MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
skinner.gif
1MB, 480x360px
>>91497240

>I can tell most of /co/ would really like to be able to just filter out the few posters of interesting, original content, to remain a hivemind.

Usually when you find yourself on the opposing side of most everyone else, it's a good time to reflect on whether you're actually the one who's wrong.
>>
What's fucking lame is that the one sister who happens to survive through pure luck of Jack's murderous rampage ending before getting to her, is the one who saw a ladybug one time.
George Lucas levels of retard pottery there.
Definitely not very kino.
>>
>>91497311
Already did. Concluded that /co/ is mostly a hivemind, and I remain mostly correct (though I obviously make mistakes too, inb4 someone claims I said I'm perfect or something).
>>
>>91497220
Again, it's still easier said than done. Jack is still human and is working with whatever weapon he can get his hands on. Not to mention it was hard enough dealing with Ashi alone, let alone 2 or even more of the sisters. She nearly killed him on many opportunities even though she was disarmed.

>>91497275
I wouldn't say it's finished, but more like we're entering a new chapter. An anon said that she'll likely watch Jack help people out and realize he's not a dick, and I'm in agreement with that.
>>
>>91497354
I was actually gonna complain about that but then I thought, there were so many contrived coincidences in the original series too. OTOH this one bothers me much more than any of those, and I just can't put my finger on why...
>>
>>91497275

Because SJ complainers are autistic and project their own oversimplified black and white thinking onto the characters in the shows they watch. Therefore when a character decides to hold off on murdering someone, they assume this means the character is now in love with the person they were about to murder because you can only ever be fully hating of or fully in love with someone. Also they unironically believe conflicting emotions is bad writing and that Jack should either always feel bad about killing or always feel justified and fine with it and there should never be any doubt or soul searching while mediating between these two views.
>>
>>91494780
What about orphans?
>>
>>91497414
One of the major problems with the new season is that the writing itself is very black and white compared to the original. Pot meet kettle, I'm afraid, and the metaphor is more apt than usual here.
>>
>>91497381
He literally threw away a weapon to challenge one sister while unarmed and knocked her the fuck out. Don't try to pretend Jack's lack of weapons is ever really a disadvantage.
>>
>>91496918
>didn't bother going to my brother's wedding.
And I wont bother to show up to your funeral faggot, in fact no one will
>>
>>91497388
>OTOH this one bothers me much more than any of those, and I just can't put my finger on why...
The new Samurai Jack is taking it more seriously which is why I think, at least for me.

>>91497490
And how many was he down to at that point? I actually can't remember, wasn't he down to the last three? I'm just saying the guy was at a number disadvantage and it would have been pretty hard to drag 3 or so of the sisters along within that monsters belly. He'd have to drag them along unconscious basically.
>>
>>91497354

The ladybug wasn't required for Ashi to begin breaking the conditioning and siding with Jack. It was just used as a way to show her seeing Jack for what he really is instead of telling through dialogue. This is one of the main differences between fiction and reality. In fiction you get to use coincidences for a purpose. In reality, coincidences are by definition not purposeful. There's nothing wrong with creating purposeful coincidences for your story to help communicate an idea that would've still worked but also would've been less poignant without the coincidences.
>>
>>91497388
It was just too obvious. Like what is even the point of having 7 Daughters if you keep focusing on a specific one and she's the only one getting even a tiny bit of characterization, then surprise surprise all the nameless mook sisters die and only this randomly special one survives the slaughter that killed all the others.
>>
>>91497559
>The new Samurai Jack is taking it more seriously which is why I think, at least for me.
I don't think that's the reason for me, though. I feel it has more to do with the nature of the coincidence
>>
>>91497501

Because my nonexistent self will feel really bad about low turnout to my funeral?
>>
>>91497559
>it would have been pretty hard to drag 3 or so of the sisters along within that monsters belly
Yes, but it would have been adorable to watch. Jack's own little chain gang constantly talking about how they hate him and want to kill him as they walk in single file behind him.
>>
>>91497364
this is some dense tism
>>
>>91496801
you making sweeping generalizations. people have a lot of variance.
also i'm pretty sure they had no concept of "sisterhood." their entire lives were the mission
>>
>>91491242
>The kids turn out to be his kids
>He killed 6 of his own kids
>>
File: 1489352830356.jpg (16KB, 460x315px) Image search: [Google]
1489352830356.jpg
16KB, 460x315px
>>91500693
>>
Jack is an adult

He could have ran away many times
>>
>>91497463

That's not true though?
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.