[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (43KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 309x475px
I don't normally read comics, but recently i watched a TWAU playthrough and the whole story and premise really interests me.

I want more. Is this comic really worth it?

(((((NO FUCKING SPOILERS CUNT))))))
>>
>>91486040
Well I was going to tell you but if you're going to be rude then forget it.
>>
>>91486040
Yes, at least till certain point (the "Big Bad" being defeated).

The story lasted WAAAY after that, but without the same charm. Still good though.
>>
It's god, but I think TWAU is the best version of the property.
>>
Fables is what got me into comics, so i might be biased. The first couple arcs are fantastic. Midway it starts to decline, but i still think it was decent.
>>
>>91486040
It's good.
>>
>>91486040
It's good but reasonably goes on for too long.
The major threat gets taken care of in a way plenty find to be dissapointing, and it keeps on going.

I'd say give it a read and you'll prolly love it,
But don't feel like you have to read the entire run unless you want to.
>>
Read about 1-75 for pure greatness, maybe up to 100 if you're feeling lucky. It's middling after that.

[spoilers] Snow's kids are shit [/spoilers]
>>
>>91486355
Nice spoiler, Anon
I'll fight you if you talking shit about muh boi Ambrose
>>
File: image.jpg (730KB, 2043x1452px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
730KB, 2043x1452px
Worth it just for this
>>
>>91486446
Sorry I fucked up.

I guess I'm fine with them as characters, mostly, I just hated the focus on them and Bigby/Snow after #75, like the ending where there was that gigantic multigenerational family reunion. I've just never been a fan of Bigby/Snow for how "important" it was to the Fables universe.
>>
>>91486040
it goes from ok to good to very good to bad to very bad to the worst thing in vertigo for the last couple issues

its a wild ride
>>
>>91487158
Heh
>>
>>91488212
>Worst thing in Vertigo
Idk anon, New Romancers set a pretty low bar when recent Vertigo stuff.
>>
>>91488212
i picked up the first "Deluxe Edition" hardcover thing, basically... around what volume does it start peetering off?

The completionist in me wants to read em all.
The sensible person who only has a finite amount of cash, only wants to read until it stops being good.

incidentially i'm in the same boat as OP. Played The Wolf Among Us, got me and me girlfriend interested in the books proper, picked up volume 1 on a whim.

and spoiler for all the bits with colin in TWAU, he sure died a gruesome way.
>>
>>91488412
after the adversary meta-arc stuff goes downhill somewhat
the darkman stuff and the fisher king stuff is ok, and it does some decent worldbuilding but you have the nagging notion that the stakes are low, since darkman is stablished from the get-go as a villian that can be defeated without killing off anyone major

when the sister rivalry arc (the last one) begins, things go downhill very fast
>>
>>91486040
It's good until halfway, which is when the major threat gets defeated. Then it goes on, but lose most of the good stuff and degenerate with time.

The ending is still on the top of my list of absolute retarded endings.
>>
>>91488412

Buy till the Empire is defeated, then quit and never begin the long road of disappointment.

Fables #55 is my favorite single issue.
>>
>>91488412
There is one volume of crossover with Jack of Fables series which is dogshit. Afterwards it's back to good stuff but you're probably gonna be tempted to drop whole series after you read that abortion of an arc.
>>
>>91486040
Pure comickino.
>>
>>91488674
>The ending is still on the top of my list of absolute retarded endings
I hate how they killed so many good characters. Especially Totenkinder, she was amazing.
>>
>>91490227
It's more the fact that

they prepared to a war only because they were "destined" to it, but then at the last page they realized that the curse must have broken offscreen years ago, so there is absolutely no reason to fight! This is pure retardation.
>>
What in the world is wrong with you people? Cubs in Toyland is like the second-best arc in the entire series.
>>
>>91490392
It gets lost in the sea of shit before and after.
>>
>>91490414
"Shit" seems way too harsh, but I don't know, maybe the slide seems more egregious if you read it all at once instead of monthly like I did.
>>
>>91490560
I made the mistake of reading it all at once along with all of the graphic novels, spin-offs (Jack, Fairest, etc.) and even Unwritten and Apocalypse so I just fucking killed myself over it.
>>
>>91488674
what happens at the end? i stopped reading at the point whereone of bigby's kids were going to be choosen to be the new North wind
>>
>>91490707
The final arc is about a prophecy that says that Rose and Snow will have an ultimate final battle, destroying everyone and everything.
Rose gathers a destructive army for this and learns of her destiny. Oh and then the prophecy was never real anyway.
>>
>>91488412
It starts going to shit when it focuses on the kids.

And I mean really shit, so fucking shit it retroactively ruins whatever good the series had.
>>
>>91490755
do they get to fight? where da fuck did the fake prophecy came from and why did they believe it? also was it as retarded as it seems?
>>
>>91490755
>>91490340
It becomes less retarded once you understand that the fight is a metaphor for the Palestinian/Israeli wars.
Ok, still a bit retarded.
>>
>>91490707
See>>91490340

Snow and her sister start preparing to wage war to each other. There is no real reason for them to fight with the exception of people telling them that they must, it's been prophetized and they are supposed to have a curse from their mother side that forces every woman in their ancestry to only have daughter that then kill each other until one of them remain. This last ten issues and it's set up to be some gigantic battle that will end or change the world forever.

Then, the night before this final battle, they realize that Snow had male kids, so that means that the curse is no longer in effect, and there is no reason for them to fight. They disband their armies and go home.
>>
someone catch me up on what happened to nurse deflation
did she become nu-darkman or what?
>>
>>91486121
Agreed. The replacement villain wasn't anywhere near as interesting. And the oddly shoe-horned red vs snow because... because... IDK whatever just go with it.

Although I did like the alternate take they did in The Unwritten. (Where the villain had won)
>>
File: c6cmz90x5bpy.jpg (56KB, 716x403px) Image search: [Google]
c6cmz90x5bpy.jpg
56KB, 716x403px
>>91486040
fuck yeah it is, but the writer just stoped I don't know why
>>
>>91486040
It's good for a while until it outstays its lifetime.
Then it gives unsolicited opinions on Israel and the writer thought he was making the fables metaphor for Israel via making them more akin to Palestine.
At least read enough to understand what's going on in Jack of Fables. That spinoff was the shit.
>>
>>91486040
read untill the end of the war

read cubs in toy land

try to forget any other arcs exist.
>>
Do what I did, just go up to vol 9 after the adversary is defeated
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.