[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone explain why the Simpsons sucks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: Homer-Simpson-zombie.jpg (118KB, 600x727px) Image search: [Google]
Homer-Simpson-zombie.jpg
118KB, 600x727px
Can anyone explain why the Simpsons sucks?
>>
>>91439856
I think it would be better for you to form your own opinions.
>>
>>91439856
because the Simpsons don't swallow?
>>
>>91439856
the writers.
>>
>28 seasons
>over 600 episodes

You're gonna run out of good ideas at some point.
>>
Seasons 1 - 9 is the golden era. Seasons 10 - 11 is mediocre. Everything after that is complete garbage.
>>
>>91439856
Joke stagnation. Same thing got Family Guy.
>>
>>91439856
When it started, it was surprisingly realistic compared to other cartoons, and it had something over them.

Fast-forward 28 years, and not only is everything about it very unrealistic, even ignoring them staying the same age for 3 decades, but so many cartoons have been inspired by The Simpsons that virtually nothing about it feels special anymore.
>>
>>91439973
I have season 15 on DVD and it's inoffensive. As in, not bad, just good background noise/stoner fodder.
>>
>>91439856
Imagina you are writing for a show that will turn out a massive profit no matter how bad it is and nobody expects anything out of it at all
Imagine you got the job because of nepotism and you are only there to build a curriculum to hopefully move on to work on something better or make a quick buck
That's howlife is like for the Simpsons writers, hell they probably get told not to write anything that's too expensive to animate even tho the Simpsons animation is done with cheat software
>>
>>91440114
that misses the point, it's more that they used to be subversive, but now they have WON over what they made fun of (authorities, etc) but they're STILL taking digs at them. it's gone from brave to just kicking a guy while he's down.
>>91440011
>>91439940
also not true. it's because the writers are bad. it's not the same writers, so the idea that they've run out of ideas makes no sense. and it's not as if each new show gets to re-use ideas now that it's new, because people shit on that too.
>>
>>91439856
>started writing characters as lazy caricatures

>replaced plots with "the simpons go to x" and "the simpons, guest starring x"

>topical/political satire taken over by South park, show is written by weasly PC fucks who cannot into social satire as it may offend someone

>terribly lazy 3DCG animation

>Writers who grew up loving and idolizing the show

KILL YR IDOLS, kids.
>>
>>91439856
Yeah I gotta say I don't get it. Some of the early stuff is pretty good but I grew up pretty sheltered 90s and wasn't allowed to watch it so the social context of the 90s is the only real appeal for me
>tfw your band's name is a Simpsons reference and you don't get it
>>
>>91440954
Well, don't be shy, what's your band name?
>>
There is a point where the bad stuff starts overshadowing the good stuff, it doesnt matter its quality when is overrun by the quantity.
>>
>>91439973
Season 1-7. I remember when season 8 was new and getting "outlandish" to some people.
>>
I think one of the biggest flaws is lack of growth. They have to play it safe and keep a status quo for it to be recognizable as possible. As such, almost nothing ever happens, aside from Apu getting octuplets and Comic Book Guy marrying a girl who will just exist as a background character from now on.

They kind of run in circles and reuse a lot of ideas creatively. But if they let the characters or
their lives grow more, the show gets better.

Like Krabappel marrying Ned Flanders. From what little we saw, we got plots about Ned loosening up, Rod and Todd growing to be less sheltered, and Krab Apples herself finally being happy. It wasn't the best stuff, but it was a lot more interesting than an episode about Homer and Marge having marital problems, or Bart getting a girlfriend voiced by a flavor-of-the-month guest star.
>>
https://youtu.be/U9uvW9GKi48
>>
>>91441598
But I am... and I only mentioned for context
>>
>>91441946
C'mon, whats the worst that could happen?
>>
>>91441946
Is it Sadgasm?
>>
>>91439939

DING

Simpsons had a great cast of writers including Conan O'Brian.

I would also add that Simpsons used to make pop culture from their iconic characters to their catchphrases and running gags. Now it entirely relies on pop culture from other media. Simpsons always made references and used celebrities but these days they're a crutch rather than an addition to their brand of humor.
>>
>>91442088
The others might get annoyed, also it feels like shameless self promotion
>>91442114
No, but that'd be a good grindcore name
>>
>>91439856
The Simpsons sucks nowadays because nobody even tries to write for the show anymore, the plots are just references to things currently happening that instantly become dated on release, making it just feel stale and tired, they really lack the "timeless" quality a lot of the episodes have which just makes them mostly unrelatable. Also, the episodes are often lazily padded out with montages to eat up screentime, go ahead, watch a newer episode and there's a good 9/10 chance there'll be a montage. The characters have all been stretched to Hell and back making them all unfunny and usually just obnoxious, with Homer being a blundering retard, Bart as the "We don't know what to do with this one" character, Marge just blending into the background and Lisa as the mouthpiece for the writers, and clearly their favourite character.

(1/2)
>>
>>91442579
The jokes are also just critically unfunny, like, seeing one removes a little bit of laughter from my day, they just are timed incredibly poorly, often holding on the joke too long, including reusing the same fucking joke where something "funny" happens for a while, then stops, then starts again which I honestly just find to be insulting as an entire genre of joke for the show these days. Outside of the bad timing of the jokes, they usually just aren't that funny to begin with, often being just references to modern pop culture that probably won't stand the test of time, jokes about 1 of a characters whittled down traits, I know you can reduce a lot of character based jokes down to that, but the issue is that any of the jokes are just about the thimbleful of traits they have and not really their individual characteristics anymore, it's just weak and entertains noone. My last complaint about the jokes is a strange one, and hard to put into words, but basically they just "show" too much of the joke, which I suppose is related to my first point a little bit, but basically they just explain the jokes too much and treat the audience like retards, where they will talk about something, then we will immediately see it, I often call these "They said it, you saw it" jokes and instead of letting the audience think of something funny that they could be talking about, we just see it directly and often in the least funny way possible. There are times to do these jokes, and the Simpsons writers just seem to lack the understanding of when/where to do them.

(2/3)
>>
>>91442608
I could honestly go on about this for several more paragraphs, but my main points are this: unfunny jokes, flanderised characters, plots that are based on current things and aren't timeless or relatable. Ultimately I get the feeling that the writers of The Simpsons nowadays are either just too lazy to do a good job and are glad to phone it in at every opportunity they can get, are trying to write good material but just fundamentally don't understand what makes The Simpsons a good show for its first ~9 seasons, or in fact DO understand it and want to destroy everyones good memories of the show.

To close out this rant, here's an example of an extremely unfunny joke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLxQ__EYBo

(3/3)
>>
File: ts_2322.jpg (95KB, 520x320px) Image search: [Google]
ts_2322.jpg
95KB, 520x320px
I really hate how the new characters are much more designed than the original characters.
>Pic related. Lisa is so bland compared to Gaga.
>>
>>91439856
Very very out of touch writing, clearly written by people who have trouble understanding them kids these days.
>>
>>91442642
Does Homer have autistic rage now or something?
>>
>Hey Blobbie Fisher, sit down and play.
I don't know why you people say it isn't funny.
>>
>>91439856
Instead of writers writing the show it's Simpsons fans writing the show.
>>
>>91439856
They stopped putting effort into their jokes. Simpsons used to have some of the wittiest, most quotable lines in all of TV. I can't think of a single quote from NuSimpsons.
>>
>>91439856
Because its been on for over 20 years
>>
>>91443794
I think so, the writers seem to think that Homer yelling things in a retarded voice is hilarious. Here's another one with guest star Elong Musk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8B-Mhn7p3s
>>
>>91442380
Is it Crock Pot Abduction? Fuck you Connor for what you did to Jessica Raine!
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.