[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whatever happened to all the Newgrounds animators? All I see

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 21

File: maxresdefault.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
Whatever happened to all the Newgrounds animators? All I see are people doing Letsplays and podcasts now.
>>
>>91399875
>"it's not about the money it's about the passion. we do it because we love it not like those vlogger fucks who just make up shit about their like in a video that took ten seconds to make"
>animation is unprofitable
>they all quit and resort to making videos that take "ten seconds to make" like podcasts and LPs
>>
The general consensus is that they're still animating, but they're older now and need to work and attend to other responsibilities.
>>
>>91399875
>All I see are people doing Letsplays and podcasts now.
That pays more money than making animation.
>>
>>91399942
Passion doesn't put food on the table, anon.
>>
The way the internet is now, especially youtube, it is basically just fucking impossible to make a profit on amateur animation on the internet.
>>
>>91400062
Were they making serious dough on Newgrounds?
>>
>>91400084
I doubt it, but they were kids back then, and not rent-paying adults like they are now.
>>
Making a 20 min Lets Play takes what, an hour at best?
Making a 5 minute animated short can take months.
Guess which one makes more money?
>>
>>91400084
>>91400084
they made quite a bit of money off of youtube back in the day, which is why they're so upset that the algorithm changed, because now they make jack shit.
>>
Animation is hard and takes time. You can record an LP in a half hour then spend another 2 hours editing the footage.
As wild as the thought may be, it's possible to do an LP while also working on an animation.
>>
The "vlog-imation" style of animation seems to be the only currently profitable style at the moment, if only because it's not as much animation as just "Here's a story with not-moving pictures".

Or you can do things like Dick-Figures, EddsWorld and Charlie the Unicorn did and just Kickstart it.
>>
>>91399875
Turns out Youtube is shit for monetisation unless you spew out low effort crap on a highly regular basis.

TL:DR quantity over quality if you want to get paid.
>>
From what I've understood, Youtube monetization system used to reward people who got high viewcounts for their videos, but nowadays it rewards those whose videos get watched for the longest times. Apparently the videos should be about 10 minutes long, if you want to take full advantage of the monetization system. But animating even a short video takes a lot of time and effort, whereas a letsplayer can keep pumping up new content daily.

>>91399942
It's okay to want to earn money. If people manage to make money by utilizing the potential of the internet and doing something that they enjoy, good on them.
>>
>>91399875
YouTube screwed over animation and other generally hard to make stuff. LPS are very easy to make and get profit
>>
With patreon now being a thing I see no excuse for them not being full time animators if its actually something they cared about, they're all big names and have a big enough following to immediately make that transition.
Psychicpebbles makes 2988 a month just off of patreon and the last time he made an actual animation was over fucking 2 years ago and it came out after ANOTHER 2 year break.
>>
>>91399875
youtube killed them
lets players and blog channels are next
>>
>>91400119
most of them were popular before adsense got big, most people who made it big on early youtube made no money
becoming youtube rich became a thing after algorithm changes
>>
>>91400249
TL;DR for one line of text?
I LIKE IT!
>>
Its sheer economics

Its easier to make lets plays and youtube blogs than making a full animation video. Even faster content too. If the amount of money per video is the same, you'll end up with more money from the former rather than the latter.

Its a shame but its understandable. Most people arent in it to be rich but they also want to have social mobility and decent food on the table. Theres also work in more traditional graphic design / animation jobs where they are just another piece in the machine.
>>
>>91401766
because patreon sucks too
generaly the only people who make any money there are controversy and drama starters not anyone with any sorth of quality content
because its a hell of a lot easier to get people to donate based on help me fight this group of people you hate than help me make quality animation
Also only a tiny fraction of people donate at all so you are competing for that 1% of people against every single other youtube channel
Any donation based system has this problem, drama queens get all the money and the people the thing is intended for get nothing
>>
File: one eternity later.png (17KB, 591x156px) Image search: [Google]
one eternity later.png
17KB, 591x156px
I'm pretty sure podcasts shouldn't take 2 months to edit/draw art for/etc.

all I know is that the work for hellbenders is done
pic related
>>
>>91399942

Can't feed off passion. It's not really profitable to make animations. One video every month that makes a few hundred thousand views which makes you a couple of hundred dollars? Fuck that.

It's why Erin totally ditched his shit for Game Grumps. They can make 1-3 videos in an hour and have them edited and uploaded just as fast.

By comparison a decent 5 minute flash animation takes roughly 500 hours of hard work and makes probably $1000 dollars tops if it works out.

It's why so many people flocked to patreon because they could lose the ad revenue in return for extra money from direct income.
>>
I trekked through newgrounds and saw plenty of new animations and vids, flash and iirc video now.

I guess some people are still interested in internet animation
>>
>>91401863
I think you're confusing patreon as some sort of tumblr e-beg platform.
It's just a regular e-beg platform, I make about 1.2k on it and I have a youtuber friend who make around 800 with youtube only being a thing they mess around with only once in awhile and all they do is video game reviews.
It is a donation system so a lot of people can live off it by just turning out a bunch of low quality content but there are still plenty of good content creators who make quality content that still can live off of it.
>>
>>91399875
All the old guys got, well, old. Responsibilities took priority over animation. There's still plenty of new talent who don't have the financial obligations of an adult who are making cool stuff, but they don't get as much visibility because the internet has become a huge quagmire of non-stop low-effort content that keeps new talent from rising to the top.
>>
>>91402040
>I think you're confusing patreon as some sort of tumblr e-beg platform
patreon is a tumblr e-beg platafarom you moron, everyone with a shitty tumblr is there
and im not even targeting tumblr, look at jim sterling the fat fuck plays 20 minutes of the lowest gabage steam games and makes a video a week where he choses whatever is popular and bashes it and is makes 12k a month
12k out of his fucking patreon alone, add at least another 10k out of adsence and miselaneous like brives and shit and he is making a quarter million a year
also every single shitty lets player is also on patreon
i dont know what you make or your friend makes, 1.2k is still far from a livable wage, an animator cant survive on that since an animator cant get another job and still have time for animation
>>
>>91402056
and now you understand why everyone else here hates normies
>>
>>91402181
I blame Apple for ruining the internet with soccer moms and normies.
>>
>>91401823
>Theres also work in more traditional graphic design / animation jobs where they are just another piece in the machine.
So in then the end sacrificing their "passion" didn't matter as much as continuing to be a special snowflake? Good to know.
>>
>>91402230
also facebook
but it isnt an internet only thing is it?
remember those cringy trollface tshirts? thats modern culture
>>
>>91402139
Jim Sterling is like the shadbase of youtube reviewers. People support him because he's an edgy try hard.
I'm not disagreeing with the fact people who surround themselves with controversy or drama make good money, just that people can survive off of patreon just fine without it.
I live comfortably off of 1.2k with some commissions every once in awhile, but my point was, even me and my friend who are nobodys can make decent money off of it. He'd be making more if he didn't work a full time job and released more then 1 video per month.
>>
>>91402277
>trollface t-shirts
And yet the guy that made trollface never gets any money from them. It's not even like he's some anonymous guy, either, it's right there on his DeviantArt. His name's Carlos Ramirez.
>>
>>91402332
patreon isnt an infinite source of money, ita a place where people get free money based on how much more popular they are than the rest
the reason why jim sterling makes so much money and you dont see animators doing the same is that animators cant survive in a content creator support site when competing with drama starters
again jim is an example, how about leafy, idubz, anyone else, i dont follow these shitty trends you get my point
>>
>>91400472
>Youtube monetization system used to reward people who got high viewcounts for their videos, but nowadays it rewards those whose videos get watched for the longest times.
This.
Because some people were cheating the system and having boobs used as the thumbnail, which in turn would garner views, Youtube had to change it and many animators got screwed over because of it.
>>
>>91402388
exactly
2017 internet is still not profitable unless you scam people, create shady money laundry buisnesses, take off your clothes or know how to piss off someone
its a blubble, internet has always been bubble after bubble, its going to pop
>>
Chris, Arin, and Ross all make triple what they ever made before with lp's.

they aren't 14 year olds living with their parent any more, they have to eat
>>
>>91402529
>Arin isn't a 14 year-old
He acts more like one than before he started doing LPs. He cut ties with the guy who worked with him on "Girlchan in Paradise" and outsourced all of his stuff to someone copying his style.
>>
>>91399875
they got patreon and are no selling access to their half finished projects instead of doing it for free
>>
>>91400097
so were are the new kids?
>>
>>91400062
hyuns dojo managed to get sponsorship deals with crunchyroll and audible.com
>>
>>91401955

The problem isn't just the lack of passion but also the fact that none of them have any drive either. They don't care enough to draw for anything but money and the few who do don't have enough drive to really push themselves instead of shit post on twitter.

They are a mix of both lazy and greedy at the same time.
>>
>>91402663
>He acts more like one than before he started doing LPs.
sure, but he isn't one. he needs to put food on the table, and doing LPs is working very well for him.
>>
>>91399875
Same thing about flash game: people realize they could make money with it so why bother continuing doing it for free?
>>
>>91402737
a lot of people do, i wonder how much money does it exacty net you
especially since they get like 5% of the money of everyone who follows their personal link and buys the service (nobody)
>>
Animation takes far too much time and work to be profitable with Youtube's fucked revenue system.

To even break even on Youtube, a content creator would need to put out two to three videos at twenty minutes tops daily. Good animators who put time and detail into their work like, for example, Harry Patridge, are lucky to get two or three videos out a YEAR.
>>
>>91401863
There's plenty of people on Patreon that do good work like Plague or the guy who makes videos about food from tv and movies
>>
>>91402663
Same is true for Chris. Even for millennial standards these two are immature as fuck. Ross seems okay though.
>>
>>91401903

I thought Oney and Psychicpebbles hated each other now because they disagreed politically?
>>
>>91402813
im sorry, how is this an argument?
>>
>>91402826
Newgrounds animators need to shut up about politics because they all come across as absolute bellends.
>>
>>91402769
>people realize they could make money with it
nobody makes money out of flash games tho
its something like 0.000000100% of people making any sorth of profit
>>
>>91402826
I don't know where people get that.
>>91402911 is kinda right Zach's politics is dipping into his other stuff way too much
>>
>>91402826
everyone says this, but I've yet to see any real evidence
>>
>>91402911
All people that can be loosely definable as 'famous' should shut up about politics, imo. It's neither left nor right with me either. If you're a celebrity, you probably don't have a good understanding of the problems of the common man. And also they won't stop spamming my fucking twitter with it.
>>
>>91402969
>Zach's politics is dipping into his other stuff way too much
this is painfully true
>"we don't want to talk about current issues to not date the podcast"
>Zack talked about Trump at least 3 fucking times

at least he's not a complete retard about it like Jon
>>
>>91402826

Not really. They're just letting their politics show in their work too much nowadays.
>>
>>91402995
Absolutely agree. Trump's an obvious moron but my whole twitter timeline is full of celebs retweeting some shit that he's done or some "Zinger!" tweet against him. I don't follow voice actors for their fucking political opinions, make a second twitter for that shit. Tara Strong is one of the worst offenders.
>>
>>91402725
>so were are the new kids?
http://talkingstickresort.arenaphoenix.com/Tickets-Active.php?eventID=2204240&venueID=55
>>
>>91403051
>Zach does a stream
>ventures into tangent on the election
>Zach does the podcast with Jon
>politics takes up part of the runtime
this is the exact reason I prefer Chris over Zach
>>
>>91403061
they truly come off as narcisistic dont they
they assume they are absolutely right even tho they also assume the people supporting him are doing so because there is something wrong with them and worst of all they think of themselves as some sorth of saviour thats going to influence shit sending their legions of fans to do good

honestly it has all been a big reminder that no matter how much you like an actor all celebritys are shitty people
>>
File: 1488601392352.png (629KB, 756x482px) Image search: [Google]
1488601392352.png
629KB, 756x482px
>>91400097
>rent
>not simply working multiple jobs to buy the house/property
>>
>>91403206
>not being able to manipulate time so you can perform two full time jobs (one of wich you dont get paid for) to entretain people for two minutes every other month
>>
>>91403206
>why don't poor people just make more money?!
Republicans in a nutshell
>>
>>91403244
>not going back in time to stockpile on Detective Comics 27 so you can sell them at auctions in the future
>>
>>91403302
plot twist you bought so many of them they became worthless
>>
>>91403206
> THING THEY DO
> NOT DOING THING I DO INSTEAD

do you think you're even remotely interesting and not some autistic /v/tard trying to convince internet strangers of your rectitude
>>
>>91403334
The auctioneers won't know that. Just sell them one by one across the world. Your first sale should cover all flight tickets.
>>
>>91399987
Unless you're an expert hooker.
>>
>>91403370
More interesting than Newgrounds animators? Yes
>>
>>91399875
They could afford to do animations for free back when they were all still in highschool and didn't have responsibilities.

They grow up a little, and animation on youtube is a VERY profitable enterprise.

Then youtube changes the way they monetize content, and suddenly animation goes from making you an upper-middle-class salary to basically making nothing.

They could go to patreon, but like it or not, let's plays just make way more money.
>>
>>91403206
>I've manage to accomplish slightly more compared to other people on 4chan
>>
>>91403491
I MAKE MORE IN AN HOUR THAN YOU MAKE IN 1 AND A HALF HOURS!
>>
>>91403167
You're wrong, Tom Kenny is a good guy. I'm friends with his son.
>>
>>91403473
it seems like full animation is worthless but that minute of animation that could have gone unnotticed otherwise can make some differenceif spread across a larger video
look at the animation recommendations on youtube and its all family guy clips
>>
I'm a girl, I wanna do let's plays but I probably gotta lost weight first. No one takes fat chicks seriously, hell I don't take them seriously either.
>>
>>91403566
this is a comics and cartoons board, not your tumblr
>>
>>91403566
Depends how fat and what kind of fat you are. All you really gotta do is tease rhetoric right group of guys and they'll throw money at you.
>>
>>91403566
you could be a super model doing it in your panties and you still wont be very successful, there are just too many lp's out there at this point, you can not make a name for yourself.

If you want to do it for fun, go ahead, but don't expect more then 100 views per episode
>>
>>91402755
There are still some diamonds in the rough, like this guy here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_MSFkZHNi4
>>
>>91402826
I FUCKING TOLD YOU HAHAHA
>>
>>91403653
>>91403671
>encouraging people who want to talk about anything but comics and cartoons
truly you people are worsethan hitler
>>
>>91399875
A few years ago YouTube changed its monetization algorithm to favor videos that were at, above, or around 10:00, and uploaded more regularly.
Now think about the animation channels, obviously they couldn't keep up with that by animating without it being awful or working worse hours than an anime artist in Japan.
So they had to either use gaming to subsidize the animating, accept making fuck all and get a real job to pay the bills, or switch to vidya entirely.
Such is life.
>>
File: excuse you.gif (668KB, 500x249px) Image search: [Google]
excuse you.gif
668KB, 500x249px
The best one is still out there animating. Cream rises to the top.
>>
>>91399875
Makes more money than animation and requires little effort. To quote what Oney said in a recentish video, "Let's plays are fucking easy to do".
>>
>>91403688
Yeah, he's been monetizing t-shirt sales and limited edition prints. Which is probably a (reasonably) good way to go about it.
>>
>>91403688
holy shit, that was really good
>>
File: crab.gif (57KB, 179x105px) Image search: [Google]
crab.gif
57KB, 179x105px
1.) animating on the web makes no money and all your favorite newgrounders are 22+ years old with apartments and rent to pay

2.) the best ones now do graphic design, after effects, post production, and animation for big fancy studios and shit now. you'd be shocked how many vanished artists work for big game/movie studios now. thats where the work is. and thus, the money.

3.) making money off the web requires going viral. theres still no scientific formula for that happening. for every Felix Cosgrave / David Firth theres tons of other animators and artists making similar content you've never heard of and never will.

Thats just how it is.
It doesnt even take much research to see it.
It's common sense shit.
But again this is /co/.
>>
>>91403629
I don't have a tumblr :^)
>>
>>91403653
5'5 and 158 lbs.
>>
>>91405550
And the new gen of internet artists are too lazy and ADHD ridden to finish anything.
>>
>>91406440
Do you have any evidence to back up that claim? The only lazy and ADHD ridden artists that never finish anything are the original Newgrounds crew. And don't give me that "they're in the industry now" bullshit, it takes 5 seconds to pull up ANYONE's name to find out if that's true((this only applies to Egoraptor(voice actor)).
>>
File: oneyng.png (63KB, 871x377px) Image search: [Google]
oneyng.png
63KB, 871x377px
>>91402826
>>91402911
>>91402969
>>91402981
>>91403059
>>91403708
It's not true.
>>
>>91406399
>150 lbs
>"lol I'm so fat XD"

Fuck off Stacy. If you want to make a lets play channel, at least do something original or entertaining like Dodger.
>>
File: 9rt9y9r9546945.png (137KB, 960x879px) Image search: [Google]
9rt9y9r9546945.png
137KB, 960x879px
>>91402826
What happened exactly?
>>
>>91403473
>but like it or not, let's plays just make way more money
"Daddy why are you a fat sack of shit who never leaves the couch? When is mommy coming home?"
"Shut up kid I have to make funny noises now"
>>
>>91403525
>Tom Kenny is a good guy.
he'll always be loved for playing the villain in Shakes the Clown, even if he was just doing it for his childhood friend Bobcat
>>
>>91399875
Some were doing it as a hobby, others have branched outside the Internet, a few died.
>>
>>91403566
>No one takes fat chicks seriously
Please don't take this as a Tits or GTFO but if you're stacked every nerd will be all over you Amanda?
>>
>>91403688
this guy's obvious love for Terry Gilliam isn't hurting any
>>
>>91403688
It should be noted that he makes money as a freelance animator for commercials and music videos and the like. This original short of his was made in the span of two years probably in his free time.
The wait was worth it though.
>>
>>91399875
Nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>91403282
>Why doesn't everyone just get free money?!
Democrats in a nutshell
>>
>>91400062
Doesn't ViziePop make like $3k on Patreon to do animations?
>>
>>91410493
Where the animations, though?
>>
Arin had the right idea by never talking about political shite.

No idea what Jon was fucking thinking, he's really screwed himself over by being unable to keep a lid on his autism.
>>
>>91411088
This is a thread about ANIMATORS anon, not Game Grumps, take that shit to >>>/v/

>b-but Arin is Egoraptor DXXX
fuck off cunt
>>
>>91411358
But he is :^)
>>
>>91406360
but where can i see your artsy pictures of fat women (you) wearing a purple wig?
>>
File: 568568568568569.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
568568568568569.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>91411358
HEY I'M GRUMP
>>
Let's see:

Jazzy:
Works professionally, makes speedpaints, collab work, and how-to vids

MasterAardvark/FelixColgrave:
Works professionally, makes doodles, works on several animations that take months/years to complete

Ricepirate:
Works professionally as VA, does small animations every several months, also collabs a fuck ton

TomSka + Wonchop:
Collab together, work professionally, make minimal effort / high return internet-random vids (asdf series)

Tom Fulp:
Runs Newgrounds and works at Behemoth, as well as collab a fuck ton

DanPaladin:
Behemoth, collabs rarely

PsychicPebbles/El-Cid/SpeedoSasuage/JohnnyUtah

Work professionally, make shit every now and then, currently working on animations, collab a fuck ton
>>
>>91410493
That's not a lot considering the amount of effort it takes to animate as opposed to say, Arin's current pay on Game Grumps.
>>
>>91411767
What's Stamper up to?
>>
>>91411486
Arin has stopped animating so his Animator Identity of "Egoraptor" doesn't really matter anymore
>>
>>91411787
Just like PsychicPebbles/SpeedoSasuage
He collabs a fuck ton, barely makes animation, works professionally, and part of the SleepyCabin gang
>>
>>91411767
>Works professionally
be specific, please
>>
>>91399875
newground animators were usually in high school or college freshman, they had no rent to pay or food to put on the table so they had all that free time in their hands, then reality calls and realize they can't really live with making animations for free. you either freelance or gather an animation team or look around for something that gives you money taking the opportunity of already being well known in the internet
>>
>>91401766
And yet he still bitches about Let's Players making more money than him.
I get that there's pride involved, but if he refuses to update his monetary practices alongside his content output, he doesn't deserve to get paid.
>>
>>91411926
Works professionally as in they make commissions/commercials for companies/people, work for disney, work for dreamwork's growing 2d animation department, or are hired to help out on independent animation projects.
>>
>>91412217
Also to add, paid to make animations for the larger youtubers (read: letsplayers)
>>
>>91411801
Isnt he helping Ross out with his cartoon from time to time?
>>
File: fuck.gif (499KB, 480x228px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.gif
499KB, 480x228px
>>91410136
10/10
>>
File: valentineisdone.jpg (24KB, 248x428px) Image search: [Google]
valentineisdone.jpg
24KB, 248x428px
>>91411767
>TomSka
>Work professionally
>>
>>91412260
True.

>>91412217
>companies
Freelance or not, that doesn't apply to 1/4 of the people on that list. Most of them are legit bums living off Patreon.
>>
>>91411787
Posting his thoughts on Twitter and living off Niall's rent money.
>>
>>91402755
>They are a mix of both lazy and greedy at the same time.

Bullshit, even doing one quality animation takes a tremendous amount of drive and hard work. It's not greed to accept that a hobby is unsustainable. If you can't make money doing it then it means you likely have to have a 9-5 job in addition to the 100's of hours of work for animation. That's simply not realistic. If you think it's greed than you're a dipshit child who's never actually worked a day in his life.
>>
>>91412335
>rent
Must suck being poor.
>>
File: supes.jpg (50KB, 494x397px) Image search: [Google]
supes.jpg
50KB, 494x397px
>>91412358
Unless you're Zach, and you want 100% creative control on your first television production for a channel that you have no prior bridges with and you won't take "no" for an answer.

Then you're not only being fuckin' greedy as shit, but arrogant as well.
>>
>>91403688
jfc that was amazing
>>
I know for a fact that there's some fucker in these threads who screengrabs the worst things /co/ says about members of the Sleepycabin and sends the pics to them.
I've seen and heard Zach/Chris/Corey reacting to specific posts from these threads retroactively, so it's not that they're in the threads on /co/, they've been shown the posts afterwards.

I wouldn't want to be internet famous if it meant having to deal with autists screencapping posts of everytime some random shithead on the internet said something mean about me. That sounds like Hell.
>>
>>91412917
>That sounds like Hell.
what?
>>
>>91401863
I know a guy that does 3d porn with horses that gets like 10k+.
>>
>>91413079
I know a guy that does coding with blocks that gets like 1.5b+
>>
>>91413128
Oh what's his name?

btw I'm talking about animopron, go check his patreon. you can't see the exact amount but you'll see his 19k goal has been reached
>>
>>91413266
Notch.
>>
>>91413387
touche you fucker
>>
>>91399942
Food isn't optional

Following your passion is only a good idea if it's something profitable
>>
File: 1484808558559.png (60KB, 254x209px) Image search: [Google]
1484808558559.png
60KB, 254x209px
>>91399875
They grew up and realized they needed a job more than a passion. Like we all did
>>
>>91399942
>like podcasts

what's wrong with podcasts?
>>
>>91399942

What I don't understand is that they stop ENTIRELY. I get you want to do something that makes money now that you're famous but for the love of god don't abandon animation entirely.
>>
>>91403566
>No one takes fat chicks seriously
Ha. As if people take fat guys any more seriously.
>>
>>91411783
That amount is slightly less than if she were working in the industry as a beginner. If you just go after jobs that pay well, then fuck being an artist, go be a doctor.

A big part of it is that she gets paid to literally sit at home and do what she would have been doing in her free time regardless with her own characters.
>>
>>91399875
Has that LAZY NIGGER put another episode of "smuckhs" out yet or is he too busy getting into internet fights with every ill-informed let's players?
>>
>>91410493
Patreon is the last fasible option and even then it's a poor option for animators because they either get a per cartoon paycheck 3 or 4 times a year or a monthly paycheck and endless whining.
There's whining anyway, but less whining.
>>
A lot of those people were just animating because it's the cheapest way to put ideas to video. Easier to find actors, no cameras, no sets, free diy effects, pirated software.
It was a filmmaking revolution but money suddenly appeared and then dried up over 5 years, killing it.
>>
>>91400062
this is a fucking lie and needs to stop being spread
fuck that loser rubber ross for making up that shit
>>
>>91417915
The few that are still animating are now animating as a side hustle when any animation production, especially an independently produced one NEEDS to be a full time job. Plus they're all pitching to TV since there's no money for animation on youtube so we'll probably never see their shows.
The rest got industry jobs or quit animating all together.
>>
>>91399976
It's the job now, animation, a "real" job is their hobby.
>>
>>91402264

yes

see 90% of employed people
>>
>>91400084
Newgrounds couldn't compete with Youtube on ad revenue because Google blacklisted them from their monolithic ad network (supposedly for porn but really because they're in direct competition with youtube).
That's why the ads on Newgrounds are so shady and they ask for user support.
>>
>>91406834
literally all phsycicpebbles does anymore is sit on twitter circlejerking anti-sjw le trump talking points and reading his le kotakuinaction and then tweeting about that outrage culture shit
all of that group (jon, h3h3productions, psychicpebbles) is obssessed with that dangerous addicting outrage culture fueling shitty subreddit. that's where h3h3productions got his made up info about the wall street journal that he harrased and doxed the writer of an article about.
>>
>>91400213
Kickstarter only works if you have an established audience, which these days means years of barely paid labor.
>>
>>91419269
He's claiming there's chaos and big deals being made behind the scenes and he's missing a sound effect he commissioned.
>>
Here's your Egoraptor animation that'll be $7.99+tip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG5_hoXGQP0
>>
>>91419553
Okay then, so what are your alternate facts to prove your alternate reality?
>>
>>91402264
Don't laugh at people for giving up on their dreams just because you never followed yours.
>>
Money is a bullshit excuse when there is patreon.
>>
>>91419662
H3H3 is a retard because he really doesn't have any dirt on the WSJ but it's pretty obvious that Rupert Murdoch is trying to sink youtube.
It's typical leftie tactics, frame the most famous youtuber as a nazi for an off-colour joke and scare advertisers.
>>
>>91419389
I dunno man, $3k a month + having a roommate (Which she's stated she does) is a pretty livable situation.
>>
Question:
How much originality should there be in animations?
As in should these people make their own characters and stuff, or is it ok to use popular characters and profit from "fan animations"?
With the later, should they always be comedic and parodies? Should they go with original stuff if they are going with the trouble of making the animation serious?
I've been thinking of making a thread about this but let's see how it goes here.
>>
File: BjRugBpCEAA9g0N.jpg (24KB, 599x646px) Image search: [Google]
BjRugBpCEAA9g0N.jpg
24KB, 599x646px
>>91420138
>Rupert Murdoch
>typical leftie tactics
>>
>>91420016
Man, that's pretty much this thread summed up. Here are some artists who tried to be successful with their passion, but because they weren't successful enough they're assholes.

Oh, and throw in "I read some tweets, so I pretty much know them personally and know what's happening in their life."

This is the one of the weirdest little areas of celebrity-obsessed culture. Here are some moderately well-known artists who don't do much of the same work that they became known for-- let's talk about their personal lives.
>>
>>91420378
Oh fuck off, Murdoch may vote conservative but he's unscrupulous, he owns papers for every demographic and will push whatever story from whatever angle that will make him money.
>>
>>91411767
I'm 99% sure Zach is working either with or for Justin Roiland. He moved to California for work and during one of his streams a few months before he accidentally had a folder visible named "JustinRoilandShit" or something like that and when he realized he freaked out and ended the stream early. Plus Justin tweeted a photo of a drawing Zach did on a whiteboard last week so they're at least friends

JohnnyUtah/Jeff is working on a game with Spazkid/Cory, thats why they're the only two sleepycabin members to stay in philly. Niall moved to Sacramento but I don't think it was for work. I don't know what he even does, he's like Stamper but without the resume.

Speaking of Stamper he's voicing like a hundred different characters in the new Behemoth game, as well as tweeting shit regularly.

Chris/Oney's let's play channel that he originally had as a side thing where he'd upload once every few months has taken off now that he does them with DingDong and Julien from TheBestGamers. It's definitely nothing like Game Grumps though, they actively try to avoid gaining that audience and I don't think he's trying to make a career out of it, but I'm sure he realized how easy it is to make money from as something he can do in his spare time while he works on long term projects
>>
>>91420822
so if he's a conservative and owns conservative papers, how would he make money from pushing liberal agendas?
>>
>>91401807
I thing the change happened a year or two ago. Long videos got decent $ and short 1 minute clips got pennies
>>
>>91399942
This. This is why capitalism is shit.
>>
>>91421657
He owns left and right wing media.
He owns fucking Vice.
In this case he's attacking youtube using leftist tactics.
Hell, it could just be someone at the journal scared that their losing clicks to youtube "news sources".
Entertainment and journalism are essentially the same industry now that every news source picks a bias.
>>
>>91421840
yeah but his left wing networks are nowhere near as important to him as his right wing ones. He'd never prioritize them.

But anyway, Rupert Murdoch has nothing to do with Newgrounds so who cares
>>
>>91420296

I think as long as people put effort into their animations, I don't care if it's original or a parody.

That being said, I choose to make my own original animations because I think it's more of a challenge and parodying something doesn't really interest me.

I would love to see more original ideas, but I can understand why people go the more profitable route.
>>
>>91421973
may have got a little off track
>>
>>91411767
>Jazzy
As in Draw With Jazza?
As in the guy that made a Kickstarter and raised like $2million to make a game and then ran with the money and didn't do shit with it? Yeah lol. I wonder how he can afford to do art videos these days.
>>
>>91420296
parodies are absolutely acceptable and 100% legal, problem is that since it's easy to rack up a million views using an ip like minecraft people very cynically made a lot of them without having good ideas for a parody. They've been done to death from every conceivable angle and I'm sick of them.
>>
>>91402388
Well, not quite
http://uk.businessinsider.com/trollface-carlos-ramirez-100000-kotaku-cartoon-meme-viral-success-2015-4
>>
File: IMG_2945.jpg (45KB, 600x203px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2945.jpg
45KB, 600x203px
>>91400062
Yes and no. You just have to really passionate and hard working, as well as patient as it'll take time for a fan base to build up which is what really matters as they will rewatch videos more often than not. The earlier guys from NG had it easier because they already a much easily accessible fan base that followed them at YouTube. Once you get a fan base then you can ask them for Patreon and Kickstarter donations. I don't blame people like OneyG for doing Let's Plays or Max Gilardi for doing parody videos, as long as it's in good quality. Max has fun with his critique videos and Oney has some of the best Let's Plays videos on the internet. You could also become a reporter for an Alt Right organization like Emily's Youvis did that works too
>>
>>91419269
psychic pebbles is a self-important faggot who complains about how his job is hard and takes a long time to do but he spends 8 hours a day literally every day posting autistic right wing talking points on his twitter
>>
File: hank.png (200KB, 855x934px) Image search: [Google]
hank.png
200KB, 855x934px
>Krinkels is working on based Madness games instead of shitting out Let's plays

God bless this man
>>
>>91421710
Fuck off back to Venezuela and die of hunger Pedro.
>>
>>91422532
too bad madness sucks lol
>>
>>91403566
Here's something to keep in mind as a female Twitch/YouTube/anything
People don't like it if you mention your boyfriend if you have one. Not saying you should compromise your ethics and follow suit, it's just something I've noticed
>>
>>91422953
It's sad but some people treat internet videos as friend/girlfriend simulators.
>>
>>91412303
Yes, but only as a VA and also a second hand story boarder, which is basically just the guy that approves the final draft of a storyboard, or sends it back to get dolled up, which is easy to do as Ross and Studio Yotta meet up weekly for animation meetings.
>>
>>91422975
It's because there's big dollars in it. There's a lot of men who are too ugly/socially inept to attract a girlfriend but aren't satisfied by porn anymore. The streamers are essentially selling fake love and affection and it works. There's a serious problem in society that people don't bother fixing socially or through better communication so it festers and swells underneath the bandaid that the free market has made for it
>>
>>91423133
How would you even address that though? ban female twitch streamers?
>>
File: 1344400237597.png (87KB, 381x381px) Image search: [Google]
1344400237597.png
87KB, 381x381px
>>91422902
you take that back
>>
>>91423289
That'd only cause something else to sprout up. MyFreeCams, YouTube, POV "loving" porn, there's always going to be something. The heart of the matter is there's large chunks of the population who feel disenfranchised because they weren't lucky in love so they turned to these alternatives. This kind of stuff is a drug: it doesn't help but it feels like it does temporarily.
I have absolutely no idea what to do about the underlying cause. Beauty standards have become higher for both men and women so more and more are being pushed aside and not finding anyone or not bothering to look, leading to self destructive behavior in terms of body image and in terms of their money. Look at Japan, tons of twenty somethings aren't looking for partners because they have all sorts of coping mechanisms. Anime doesn't judge you because your face isn't symmetrical, because your acne has left terrible scarring, because you're too fat and it's hard for you to lose weight. It helps you feel better and almost happy for twenty two minutes a week. Twitch streamers and the like are the same kind of bandaid solution
>>
>>91399976
yeah and it leaves you enough time to animate in your spare time, and then some. it shouldn't take 8 hours a day to be a letsplayer
>>
File: bait.png (65KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
65KB, 625x626px
>>91422902
>>
>>91399942
>>91401955
>>91402755

i always felt that something like animation was always a career that you did because you loved it rather than a paycheck and they didn't seem to quite understand that until youtube monetization fucked them over.
>>
File: passion.jpg (408KB, 1328x938px) Image search: [Google]
passion.jpg
408KB, 1328x938px
>>91424868
I guess it depends on whether you consider animation to be more like art or entertainment. If it's art, you probably feel like it has to be done out of love and passion and without expecting any monetary rewards. But if it's entertainment, it can be considered a form of business that's done for a paycheck.

Do you draw/animate yourself, and are those the standards you use to judge both yourself as well as others like you? I hope you're not just expecting other people to become starving artists, while you are allowed to pursue a career that can earn you a living.
>>
>>91399875

There's a community of Tumblr kids making animatics of musicals on YouTube right now.

They say they'll fully animate them, but I don't know if they have real plans to.

Betsy Lee's No Evil is pretty much the only animation I've seen anyone put real effort into in a while, but I don't go looking for web animations a lot.
>>
The only one I have any kind of problem with is Zach with his podcast. How can you be so shit that a monthly podcast is too hard to do and gets delayed for almost a full month.
>>
>>91419662
>>91420138
It's kind of sad to see how low H3H3 has fallen.
You would think that instead of bitching and sniping them, you would try to convince advertisers to come back to Youtube.

You're not "independent" if you're beholden to higher ups.
>>
>>91425385
>believing in tumblr they can accomplish something ever since tumblrcon happened
Even 4chan is pretty stupid to believe on 'idea guys' creating a game
>>
>>91423133
I'm pretty introverted, but I don't know how people can do something so shameless.
>>
>>91403206
>buying property
>not living with your parents, working multiple jobs and investing your savings
I didn't leave my house til 25
>>
>>91403206
t.richfag that doesn't know how poorfags function
>>
>>91410136
In one of the richest countries in the world that also has some of the worst infrastructure compared to any and all of their peers, that's honestly a more reasonable platform than the alternative up there so good work autismo.
>>
Jontron did nothing wrong.
>>
>>91425358
So passion is no indicator of ability and his success was throwing a dart in all directions. Who are some other successful artists that became successful purely for money?
>>
>>91425908
Garfield's pretty famous for it, we've had threads about it every once in a while. Jim Davis specifically aimed to create a marketable comic character that would earn him licensing deals and money.

Both Davis and Adams did draw a lot when they were kids, though. So they both had some amount of natural inclination for drawing long before they were able to turn it into a career.
>>
File: yW-mPPDK.jpg (41KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
yW-mPPDK.jpg
41KB, 600x600px
Since we are on the subject of internet animators. I really like Oneyplays, Ding Dong and Julian are a treasure and effectively steal the show. They are basically early Gamegrumps.
>>
>>91425881
If only he had prepared better he wouldn't have told everyone about how he thinks immigrants are diluting the gene pool.
>>
>>91422026
You can't just throw up something like that and not source it.
>>
File: contemplate.jpg (66KB, 500x645px) Image search: [Google]
contemplate.jpg
66KB, 500x645px
is Psychicpebbles podcast cursed?

>month for each episode
>the 2 guys he had on got in big controversies afterward
>has the worst voice for a podcast ever heard by human ears
>>
>>91425908

>Who are some other successful artists that became successful purely for money?

The entirety of Hanna Barbera.
>>
>>91399875
They all went to Youtube and Youtube has gone to shit.
>>
>>91412644
The guy wants to make the art he wants to make, if he can't find a channel that can do it that's his fault but I wouldn't call it greedy.
>>
>>91425775
It's an issue of scale. European countries are pulling off good infrastructure because they're a 50th the size of the US.
>>
>>91426066

He is well aware of what he is doing. Every misfortune has been brought to himself. Zach is a faggot sperg and he will always be that for the rest of his life. Chris was smart for ditching his autistic ass.
>>
>>91426084
I understand that, but he still needs to meet with the demands at some level.
>>
>>91426076

I find it hilarious that all of these mainstream Youtubers are getting fucked hard despite they are the reason it got popular in the first place. It sucks for smaller Youtube channels though. Only two things can come from this though, Youtube temporarily stops shitting itself to address some major problems or they keep heading in the same direction they are now and slowly kills the entire website.
>>
>>91426156
The problem with Youtube is a shift in culture as well as the website being shit though. Big Youtubers like to pretend that they can blame it all on the site being shit but they really need to admit that the kind of content they got popular for just isn't working anymore. The ones who understood that and stuck to their smaller dedicated fanbases producing new content without trying to catch some new trend and game the system are the only ones who are still doing well in the long term.
>>
>>91424559
>. it shouldn't take 8 hours a day to be a letsplayer

you know there's editing and a ton of other shit that goes into it, right?
>>
>>91426177

>The problem with Youtube is a shift in culture as well as the website being shit though

Sadly this. People don't want edgy, weird, and offensive content anymore. They want politically correct left leaning child friendly content. The issue with this is instead of letting the old Youtubers die off for being uninteresting, Youtube instead starts outright shunning them and tries to be something it's not and it is still getting screwed over on all sides anyway. I don't see it dying anytime soon but everyday the site slowly goes more and more to shit which will lead to it's downfall.
>>
>>91425908
Charles Dickens, literally every Renaissance artist, van Gogh, Jeff Koons, it goes on forever all hundred years, anyone with a Patreon/does commissions/has merch for a webcomic/has a comic full stop, etc. etc.

If you're recognizably good at something you have passion for, and you've put in the work, of course your first thought is going to be how to fund it
>>
There's still a lot of newer animators making up new stuff, but the older animators are simply unable to make a living off of their passion and have to do things by other means.

Most of the guys in Sleepy Cabin are working on a video game, while other animators are doing twtich streams, going to jail, committing suicide, or getting into the business of teaching art; all of them using their previous fan base to do it.

make animation, get enough fans to fall back on, do something that's not fucking animation for money.
>>
>>91403384
Passion dies after thousands of sex
Thread posts: 218
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.