[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Definitive Runs Name a team/character and their definitive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10

File: X-Men_Vol_1_141.jpg (483KB, 1000x1530px) Image search: [Google]
X-Men_Vol_1_141.jpg
483KB, 1000x1530px
>Definitive Runs

Name a team/character and their definitive run, that run that perfectly encapsulates the essence of the team/character. If some guy on the street asked you to sum up a team/character as succinctly as possible, you'd hand them this run and they'd be all set.

for example:
>Claremont's X-Men
>Miller's Daredevil
>Loeb's Batman
>>
File: IMG_5071.jpg (56KB, 250x391px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5071.jpg
56KB, 250x391px
aunt may
>>
Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four
>>
>>91375716
Agree with this. While most of their creations evolved into something quite different, FF has always tried to hold on to that 60s mentality.
>>
Ennis' Punisher (MAX I guess, but I like the 616 stuff too, there's a bit of humour in those)
>>
>>91375833
Agree, the only thing that holds a candle to it is Byrne & Hickman run
>>
O'Neil Batman

>>91375716
Lee/Ditko Spider-Man, while we're at it.
>>
>>91375960
>Lee/Ditko Spider-Man, while we're at it.
I'd go Michelinie honestly
>>
>>91376051
>Michelinie
Good shout, haven't read a whole lot of his stuff myself.

To say I was such a big fan of Spider-Man in various other media as a kid, I've not really read much since getting into comics.
>>
>>91375339
Morrison/Porter JLA

It's the equivalent of an "all ages" movie that's actually entertaining at all ages. I'd hand JLA to somebody who's never read a comic before, and I'd hand it to a hardcore comic reader with equal confidence.
>>
>>91375339
Perez Wonder Woman

It may be nostalgia talking, but that's always been the benchmark against which I've measured WW. Strong but human, feminist but friendly, and imbued with enough golden-age wackiness to be fun
>>
Definitely in the minority here, but I think the Huston/Finch Moon Knight is the tits. I don't know if it's the "definitive" version of the character, but it's sure as hell my favorite.
>>
>>91375339
>Bryne's Superman
>Byrne's She-Hulk
>>
>>91375339
Wolfman's New Teen Titans, Kelly's Deadpool, and Giffen and Rogers Blue Beetle.
>>
File: New X-Men.jpg (15KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
New X-Men.jpg
15KB, 259x194px
>>91375339
There's greatness in Claremont's run, and it's definitely the most influential X-Men run, but it's so damn long and riddled with filler. Personally I'm partial to pic related
>>
>>91376408
Nothing in Byrne's Superman is definitive besides his characterization of Clark. Most of it was retconned pretty quickly after he left.
>>
Simonson's Thor
>>
Johns' Green Lantern

Robinson's JSA

Aaron's Ghost Rider
>>
>>91375339
Waid's Flash
David's Hulk
Starlin's Thanos
>>
>>91376803
>Waid's Flash
My head says this, but my heart says Johns' Flash
>>
alan moore swamp thing
>>
>>91376685
seconded, no doubt

>>91376625
There is a ton of filler, but Claremont really brought the family dynamic to the forefront in my opinion, which is always the most interesting part of X-Men to me

>>91376742
>Aaron's Ghost Rider
second this too, really encompasses what Ghost Rider is and should be
>>
Some softballs:

>Giffen's Lobo
>Morrison's Animal Man
>Dini's Harley Quinn
>Ennis' Hellblazer
>>
>>91375678
Forrealdoe:

Bendis's USM Aunt May is best Aunt May
>>
Dixon/McDaniels Nightwing
>>
>>91377047
Was the Animal Man alien shit part of 52 or part of Countdown? I don't remember whether Morrison had anything to do with that.
>>
Slott's GLA. Best thing he ever wrote. Plus, it was back when Squirrel Girl was a funny joke instead of a synonym for cancer
>>
>>91375339
Fraction/Brubaker/Aja's Iron Fist
>>
Brad Meltzer's Dr. Light
>>
Some easy ones.

Chris Priest, Black Panther.
Slott Squirel Girl, and She Hulk.

Batman is tricky, because there's both the super serious I AM THE NIGHT, AND the early, almost goofy versions, and both are very memetically strong.
>>
>>91377205
>Slott She-Hulk over Byrne She-Hulk

How's it feel to live your life being so wrong all the time, anon?
>>
>>91377205
Morrison's Run is probably the one that finds room for both the most.
>>
File: Joker by Gmozz.png (563KB, 342x799px) Image search: [Google]
Joker by Gmozz.png
563KB, 342x799px
Morrison's Joker

FITE ME /CO/
>>
>>91377330
I was also thinking Morrison, but handing it to a layman would probably fuck them up. There's a lot of prior knowledge required.
>>
Brubaker's Catwoman
>>
Morison Animal Man
>>
>>91377373
It comes down to how you interpret "definitive." OP seems to view it as "establishing baseline norm for character and therefore serving as good entry point." I think of it more as "ultimate demonstration/tribute/redefinition of character's history/status/nature." By my definition the Bat-Epic is definitive, by OP's it isn't.
>>
>>91376051
>Michelinie
muh nigga
>>
>>91377205
Priest's Black Panther is only definitive because there's never been a good BP run ever. Priest's run started out strong and turned to shit by the end. It's the best BP run the same way Significant Other is the best Limp Bizkit album
>>
File: Panthers-Rage-2.jpg (160KB, 627x865px) Image search: [Google]
Panthers-Rage-2.jpg
160KB, 627x865px
>>91377435

> "ultimate demonstration/tribute/redefinition of character's history/status/nature.

you could probably argue Claremont did that with the Stan/Jack concept of the X-Men.

>>91377531

Panther's Rage says what's up and you should read comics from before 1990, it's where the masterworks are.
>>
>>91376673

Lex Luthor?
>>
Some DC hot takes

>Batman: Miller
>Superman: Jurgens
>Wonder Woman: Perez
>Flash: Waid
>Green Lantern: Johns
>Green Arrow: O'Neil
>Supergirl: 404 error file not found
>Teen Titans: Wolfman
>>
>>91377435
That's a very good point, and they don't have to be mutually exclusive. Comic books have become based around "redefinition", keeping things fresh by shaking up the status quo. So Morrison's Batman can be the definitive modern Bat-epic, while Knightfall can be the definitive Bat-family crossover.
>>
>>91377632
Agreed
>>
>>91377626
Peter David for Supergirl mate.
>>
>>91377610
Oh shit I forgot about Panther's Rage. I'm changing my answer
>>
>>91377652
That's what everybody says, but I just didn't enjoy it. I'm not sure why; I generally get down with David's stuff.
>>
File: 430459-Thunderbolts115-FINAL.jpg (214KB, 660x1002px) Image search: [Google]
430459-Thunderbolts115-FINAL.jpg
214KB, 660x1002px
Ellis' Thunderbolts
>>
>>91377625
Lex as Lexcorp CEO stuck but Lex has primarily returned to being a sociopathic mad scientist.
>>
>>91377756
MAH NIGGA.

Since we're saying things that /co/ doesn't like, I also thought Ellis' Ultimate Gah Lak Tus was way cooler than the Lee/Kirby purple dude.
>>
>>91377756
Absolutely not. It was a great Suicide Squad run but it's not Thunderbolts.
>>
>>91377785
Ellis' run was what really sold me on the concept of the team. Commercials for Thunderbolts action figures was like straight out of Robocop or something
>>
>>91377860
It was a radical departure from something that was lame. The "reformed villains trying to be good guys" shtick could have supported a 6-issue mini at most. The charm had long since faded when Ellis got there. Sure, it's totally Suicide Squad, but the "villains doing good against their will" hook is just so much better
>>
>>91377896
True. Plus, it's how I learned what toyetic means!
>>
>>91377950
You're a pleb my man, that's all I can say.

Ironically the original concept is the one that got the long runs while Ellis is basically just a maxiseries.
>>
File: Invincible-vs-The-Elephant.jpg (125KB, 1024x861px) Image search: [Google]
Invincible-vs-The-Elephant.jpg
125KB, 1024x861px
Really, in my opinion no run on Invincible has even come close to Kirkman's.
>>
>>91378024
I may be a pleb, but I know what I like, and OG Thunderbolts ain't it.
>>
>>91378049
Just because you like it better (and honestly it probably is better written) doesn't make it definitive. That's not how it works. It's not the version getting reprinted. It's not the version in the cartoons. It's not the version in the (god awful) current run.
>>
>>91378166
So by your logic, the one good installment can't be definitive, because its goodness makes it an outlier? If there's only one good Adam Sandler movie, am I not allowed to hold it up as the definitive Adam Sandler movie because it doesn't accurately represent the shittiness of the Adam Sandler catalogue? That seems silly.
>>
>>91378262
Correct, that's how the idea of "definitive" works. The point of the team is villains choosing to do good not doing it because of the government.
>>
>>91378398
Bullshit. "Definitive" doesn't mean "most average and therefore representative"
>>
File: 1491681070528-1.jpg (2MB, 1440x2203px) Image search: [Google]
1491681070528-1.jpg
2MB, 1440x2203px
>>91375339
Would this cover had been a little bit cooler if they colored the mutants in the poster?
>>
>>91378622
Nah, I think the monochrome poster makes the figures in the foreground pop more
>>
>>91378460
Definitive means the run that is most like the general idea of the franchise. Ellis's despite being very good is not that. You can call it the best run but it's not definitive.
>>
>>91375339
Yost's Scarlet Spider for Kaine
Deadpool The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
Fantomex and X-Force
>>
>>91377756
Parkerbolts is better.
>>
>>91379923
I liked Cagebolts too actually, just not as much as Osbolts. It had a really solid lineup to work with, I liked that half the team was legitimate in their attempts to do good while the other half were straight monsters.
>>
>>91376625
new x-men is like x-men-lite or somethin. all hardcore x-fags including me will say claremont's run.
>>
>>91376625
Morrison didn't really "get" the X-Men on a fundamental level. He did some good stuff though.
>>
File: Ghost_Rider_Vol_3_7.jpg (289KB, 966x1517px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost_Rider_Vol_3_7.jpg
289KB, 966x1517px
Howard Mackie's take on Ghost Rider.

I think he's still the only one who made the character work as an actual
character instead of a fancy accessory.
>>
>>91384001

Morrison's run is pretty clearly Claremont on steroids and on the next level.

which is why it's the only run to come close in greatness
>>
>>91375339
maybe alone on this one but final days of punisher when he turns black at the end and the arc after with him working with luke cage. haha good run
>>
>>91376625
Morrison's run was good, but it was just a take on the X-Men. Claremont's IS the X-Men.
>>
>>91377137
52, he did
>>
>>91376183
I've always struggled with the art in it, it feels so awkwardly 90s
>>
>>91377086
ABSOLUTELY THIS
>that therapy session
>that early spider hate
>that cute friendship with pete
>"The Talk"
>anytime she's got that fucking gun

Bendis' Kitty, Gwen and MJ started out great as well.

>tfw Kitty got generic for a bit
> tfw MJ was great but near the end really just becomes nothing more than the love interest
>tfw post-carnage Gwen
>>
>>91376408
More like Millar's Superman.
>>
>>91375935
Steven Grant was the definitive Punisher writer, regardless of who you think was "best").
>>
>>91375339
>Loeb's Batman
No
>>
>Mort Weisinger era of Superman/Moore's Supreme
>Englehart's and Rogers Batman
>Peter David's Aquaman
>Ostrander's Martian Manhunter
>Rucka's first run on Wonder Woman
>Waid's Flash
>Johns' Green Lantern, until blackest night
>>
>>91375339
>Claremont's X-Men
>Miller's Daredevil
>Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four
>Steven Grant's Punisher
>Lee/Ditko Spider-Man
>Busiek's Avengers
>Lee/Ditko Doctor Strange
>Michelinie/Layton Iron Man
>Peter David's Hulk
>Frank Miller's Batman
>Morrison/Porter JLA
>Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire JLI
>John Byrne's She-Hulk
>Steve Gerber's Defenders
>Steve Gerber's Howard the Duck
>Steve Gerber's Man-Thing
>Steve Gerber's Foolkiller
>Walt Simonson's Thor
>William Moulton Marston's Wonder Woman
>Geoff Johns' Green Lantern
>Geoff Johns' JSA
>Mark Waid's Flash
>Marv Wolfman's Teen Titans
>Joe Kelly's Deadpool
>Mark Millar's Superman [Adventures] I'll defend this one by pointing out that it's the only run that encapsulates EVERYTHING the character has ever been, which can't be said about Otto Binder's Silver Age run)
>Binder/Beck Captain Marvel
>Jack Cole's Plastic Man
>Stan Lee's Silver Surfer
>Alan Moore's Swamp Thing
>Grant Morrison's Animal Man
>Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol
>Mike Grell's Green Arrow
>Levitz/Giffen Legion of Super-Heroes
>Moench/Sienkiewicz Moon Knight
>Doug Moench's Shang-Chi
>John Ostrander's Spectre
>John Ostrander's Suicide Squad
>John Ostrander's Manhunter
>John Ostrander's Firestorm
>>
>>91394150
I love both Morrison's and Claremont's. Morrison's is a bit easier to appreciate because it's written in a modern way. Now, I never liked Claremont's actual writing, it's so heavy with exposition, it sometimes has very clunky dialogue and he never really changed his writing all that much until he came back in the 2000's.

I guess I'd say that Claremont is really shit at writing on some levels, but his characterizations, his sense for drama, adventure and action is second to none pretty much when it comes to X-books. The good outweigh the bad. Can still be a pain to read though.
>>
>>91377358
Why does Morrison have to work with shitty artists so often?
>>
I'll probably get some flak for saying this, but:

Hickman's Fantastic Four.

Also, the F4 are pretty lucky in that they only have one main book, and most of it is filled by "definitive" runs. Lee/Kirby for 100; Waid/Ringo for a bunch of issues; Hickman for a bunch of issues.

It's like Daredevil -- that book has been STACKED with quality runs, even by writers who are otherwise just okay.
>>
>>91396041
Don't forget Byrne, and Simonson
>>
>>91376625
> filler
What the hell does this mean?

>>91376673
Byrne was the one that brought back the Kents and made them a major part of Superman's lfie
>>
>>91376408
Byrne's Superman was mediocre at best.
>>
O'Neil The Question
Ostrander Suicide Squad
Ostrander The Spectre
Moore Supreme
Moore Swamp Thing
Priest Quantum & Woody
Dysart Harbinger
Rucka Batwoman
>>
>>91376183
You're absolutely right.
>>
>>91375339

DC:
Batman - Frank Miller
Superman - Grant Morrison
The Flash - the Flash was never good
Green Lantern - Green Lantern was never good
Wonder Woman - Grant Morrison
Aquaman - Geoff Johns
Swamp Thing - Alan Moore
Miracleman - Alan Moore
Doom Patrol - Grant Morrison
Animal Man - Grant Morrison

Marvel
Doctor Strange - Roger Stern
The Hulk - Greg Pak
The Punisher - Garth Ennis
Fantastic Four - Stan Lee
Daredevil - Frank Miller
X-Men - Grant Morrison
Thor - Walter Simonson
Vision - Tom King
Runaways - Brian K. Vaughn
Spider-Man - Stan Lee
Deadpool - Joe Kelly
Guardians of the Galaxy - Dan Abnett
Ms. Marvel - G. Willow Wilson
>>
>>91394522
>it feels so awkwardly 90s
No it' just bad plain and simple. Honestly I find it unreadable
>>
>>91398197
Superman - Grant Morrison
The Flash - the Flash was never good
Green Lantern - Green Lantern was never good
Wonder Woman - Grant Morrison
Aquaman - Geoff Johns
>I didn't read DC before 00s.

DC: Miracleman - Alan Moore
kek
>>
>>91375716
Anything Kirby desu.
>>
>>91398777
Also trips of truth.

It's always easy to find the underage kiddos.
>>
>>91375339
Speaking of Claremont, how is his Alpha Flight?
>>
>>91398777
The Superman part was true though.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.