[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

San Diego Comic Con 2017

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14

File: Comic Con.png (84KB, 436x525px) Image search: [Google]
Comic Con.png
84KB, 436x525px
Waiting room up. Open registration starts at 9am PST. Badge hopefuls check in and talk with other anons waiting to be chosen.
>>
>>91369349
Good luck anons
>>
File: 1280.png (509KB, 854x438px) Image search: [Google]
1280.png
509KB, 854x438px
One again I'm helping my layabout roommate get tickets, because my registration code always seems to get past the waiting room and his doesn't.

Motherfucker owes me like, 10 solids.
>>
Anyone remember how much 4 day with preview night costs?
>>
>>91369781
1 gorillian dollary doos
>>
>>91369781
$250?
>>
>>91369781
$265
>>
I might get in free this year, but i'm paying full price just in case.
>>
>>91370161
Anon what dark magic are using to get in free?
>>
9am PST is here. Good luck anons.
>>
>>91370168
Professional and donations.

And ITS GETTING CROWDED IN HERE, yet my brother has the Michael Scott quote.
>>
>>91370217
Hi Blake!
>>
The SDCC is today? The last one didn't feel that long ago
>>
PLEASE LORD LET ME HAVE THIS.
>>
File: FORWHATPURPOSE.gif (4MB, 581x327px) Image search: [Google]
FORWHATPURPOSE.gif
4MB, 581x327px
>>91370248
Go home Donovan. You're drunk.
>>
>>91370257
The con isn't today, we're all just trying to get tickets in the lottery.
>>
Is the page supposed to change at 9? I remember it changing to something even if you aren't selected yet.
>>
>>91370257
Registration for the general public is open.

Last month was for people who went last year, which I couldn't get into and my brothers all couldn't get a pass from either.
So we're all trying right now.
>>
>>91370276
Me too. Fairly worried.
>>
>>91370276
It changes if you've been selected. You'll be able to buy tickets if it changes.
>>
>>91370286
I went last year.

I couldn't get in returning registration either. ;_;
>>
>>91370294
>>91370276
I'm at the IF AT ANY TIME YOU ARE ACCIDENTLY REMOVED FROM THE WAITING ROOM message, and this will be changing every couple of minutes until you get to actually register.

The message will also say what's being sold out and make you feel bad about not going.
>>
File: dfg.png (345KB, 1326x1047px) Image search: [Google]
dfg.png
345KB, 1326x1047px
who /waitingroom/ here?
>>
>>91370434
Me!
>>
>>91370316
I couldn't get passes last year the normal way, so it was the first time in like 25 years I didn't buy a ticket... but i got in anyway, because PROFESSIONAL.

Also, IS YOUR BLUE CIRCLE SPINNING?
>>
>>91370434
We're all waiting!
>>
The Gods are with me I have obtained all 4 days plus preview night
>>
>>91370474
Buy me passes anon
>>
so how long does it take to let me in/sold out the tickets? i have stuff to do in an hour
>>
>>91370474
Pricy. Congrats, anon.
>>
>>91370434
I'm pretty sure we're all waiting.
>>
>>91370490
Tickets usually sold out within the hour.
>>
Preview Night inventory running low
>>
This is where the desperation starts setting in. When the messages about certain days start running low.
>>
Is anyone using a cell phone?
>>
>>91370633
No because I don't hate myself that much.
>>
File: nona this matters.jpg (91KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
nona this matters.jpg
91KB, 1280x720px
PREVIEW NIGHT INVENTORY IS SOLD OUT
>>
>>91370700
THE DREAM IS FUCKING DEAD
>>
Got a Thursday and Friday ticket, both were at fucking 1 when I got there.
>>
PREVIEW NIGHT SOLD OUT!
>>
>>91370700
Preview Night is only important if you want exclusives, otherwise eh.
>>
>>91370700
I always thought preview night wasnt really worth it.
>>
>>91370712
Dude go to thr Spike and Mike thing at night if you love animation, good times.
>>
>>91370728
>staking out the convention
>getting your shopping done to enjoy all the panels
>finding out everything on the first night with as few people as possible to get in your way
I can tell you're a newbie at SDCC
>>
>tfw gf really wants to go but I have plans that weekend
>>
>>91370795
Nah I'm not I've been going since 2002. I mean I like preview night but it's not a must for me.
>>
File: twilight_ruined_comic_con.jpg (51KB, 510x456px) Image search: [Google]
twilight_ruined_comic_con.jpg
51KB, 510x456px
Usually these threads on /co/ are more lively and way more full of people.

I hope this means there's fewer of you this year going, so it doesn't sell out and goes back to normal pre-Twilight.
>>
>>91370903
What's your success rate for getting in?
>>
>tfw a bunch of my friends want to go
>been to SDCC before so I got my 4 day with preview
>get them all to register
>they're all up in the waiting room
>figure one of them's bound to get
>it's looking bad
Well shit
>>
My friend's husband bailed me out. Oh thank GOD!
>>
Saturday is almost kill.
>>
>>91370745
If you have the extra money then go for it but it's really not.

I mean you get to experience the con with less people, there's some good deals in the exhibit hall and people do some special panels but other than that it's really not worth it unless you want a con exclusive.
>>
Saturday is kill
>>
>>91371048
Individual Saturday or several-day is kill?
>>
File: 6XI77Zhb.jpg (6KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
6XI77Zhb.jpg
6KB, 160x160px
>>91371048
>>
File: 1403068436552.gif (944KB, 500x308px) Image search: [Google]
1403068436552.gif
944KB, 500x308px
>>91371048
Fuck me.
>>
>>91371078
There is no several-day. Only individual days.
>>
>>91370926
And you didn't offer to help?
>>
Fridays are almost gone too.
>>
>>91371048
If Friday goes down, I'm calling it.
>>
>>91370924
Well after 2010 I didn't really have to worry that much since I buy pro badges thanks to work.

That said I only missed SDCC in 2013 but other than that I've been attending every year.
>>
>>91371130
>than
Friday tickets low.
>>
File: everything is fine.gif (2MB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
everything is fine.gif
2MB, 225x225px
>>91371048
That's only good news! That just means i have more money to spend on the other days and i get to have more fun outside of the conventon!

Oh boy, now Friday is running low!
>>
>>91371130
Are you an independent (like freelance) or do you work for a company?
>>
>>91371097
T-they used to have several day passes. I haven't gone in 3 years so a lot has changed. You used to be able to use different credit cards per username.
>>
File: Sad Mario.jpg (44KB, 525x354px) Image search: [Google]
Sad Mario.jpg
44KB, 525x354px
I have Thursday and Friday from prereg but the best panels are on Friday and Saturday.
>>
>>91370917
Dude SDCC will continue to sell out for years ahead. Twilight is gone but Marvel/DC properties and geekdom worldwide will keep the Gaslamp Quarter packed for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>91371168
Yeah, I know. This is the first year they nixed that to try to give more people a chance.

Not that it's helping me apparently.
>>
i live in San Diego and will never probably ever get in. then i go on twitter and see all these rich girl idiot star wars and walking dead tv show fans bragging about their tickets. makes me sick
>>
SIGH.

Well... there's always New York...
>>
>relying on RNG to get into a con

that's horrible
>>
>>91371258
What does their being rich have to do with anything? The selection is supposed to be random.
>>
>>91371290
it doesn't really, i'm just bitter
>>
>>91371105
I got my ticket preregistration
>>
>>91371285
What other way is there?

Scalper City?
>>
>>91371258

Temeculafag here, I've known this feel far too long
>>
>>91371105
I think if you get tickets for all 5 days you are not allowed to buy anymore. PLus you can only buy for people who also prereg.
>>
It's frustrating when every year I try without success and some people I know just go for it on a whim and score. So shattering
>>
File: SDCC DC 2003.jpg (57KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
SDCC DC 2003.jpg
57KB, 500x332px
>>91371185
The sad thing about all this, it's not Twilight or Marvel stuff that made Comic Con a MUST PRE-REGISTER FOR event.
It was Comic Con fucking up registration one year and suddenly everyone started panicking.

They fucked up TWO pre-registration online events. One in August and then in November. So the final one was everyone refreshing and abusing the servers so it kept erroring and SDCC just saying "fuck it. Anyone who managed to register gets in. We're not doing redos again and sell the rest of the passes on ebay"

That same fucking year, the ON SITE pre-registration was empty and anyone could stroll right in to register.

The next year? On site pre-registration had people fucking lining up at 3am to get passes for the next year.

Since then, every single pre-registration event was sold out.
Before SDCC's fuck up, people could pre-register up til the last month and even still get passes the day of SDCC.

When i first started going in 1990, Sunday was basically FREE day. They allowed anyone to go in that was just walking by. They kept this up until 2000 or 1999.
>>
I got Sunday at least.
>>
>>91371493
Sunday's a good day if you have little kids. A lot of the panels are tailored toward them. I took my nieces to the DC Superhero Girls panel and watched the newest movie last year.
>>
>>91371431
It doesn't help that cons are big business now and are hugely popular.

Every con that doesn't aggressively fuck up their organizing is seeing increasing attendance.
>>
>>91371529
I'm personally hoping the Houston one will pick up greater momentum so I don't have to go to San Diego.
>>
>>91371556
Anyone have thoughts on Emerald City?

Like, where does it sit on the comicon spectrum?
>>
>>91371529
I don't know about you, but I've managed to get free booths at several largish ones because they need more shit to fill out the place.

AND ITS FUCKING SOLD OUT.
>>
>>91371737
Once I start producing content I'd actually sell, I'm hoping to start doing cons. That's what I was curious about >>91371130 . I'd like to know how it is getting in as a pro for independents vs company guys.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (19KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
19KB, 300x200px
So, just waited 1.5 hours in Open Registration for Comic-Con San Diego tickets only to be told at the very end that all days have been sold out. My friends and I had been making plans for this and all and all feel pretty pissed that they're pointless now.

Does anyone have any idea where to buy cheap scalped tickets or know where you go to buy them off people who can't go later?

Also is it all really just random choosing or do they favor those with older registration ids?
>>
Is it true that the SDCC is basically a glorified meet and orgy for people in costumes?

I've heard legends
>>
>>91371160
Company, but if you're a freelancer and you're well known you can request to buy one and you might be eligible for the creative pro badge and you can buy an extra for one guest only (they limit you).

That said I've heard even Gamestop managers get pro SDCC badges which I think it's crazy if true (however I do know some of them get badges for E3). Hell they give them to youtube celebs, I saw the Fine bros at the pro lounge last year so it wouldn't surprise me.

This might piss you off but I have an uncle who works as a fleet manager at a car dealership and he told me that SDCC gives them an option for them to buy tickets (theirs aren't pro though) without them having to do the registration lottery thing which is fucking stupid.

Honestly I've noticed that the shortage in tickets is also due because they set some of them apart to sell or give to other people in other companies, celebrity relatives, friends and relatives of the San Diego convention center staffers, among others. Ever since the con got popular everyone wants to go and people with money and connections will always get first dibs even if they have nothing to do with the comic industry.
>>
File: san diego comic con.jpg (710KB, 1020x492px) Image search: [Google]
san diego comic con.jpg
710KB, 1020x492px
>>91372160
>the shortage in tickets is also due because
This is all well known, but it doesn't amount to much in the long run. It's probably a thousand at most and that's <1%.
I have an uncle who is a stock broker and he always gets dibs on free passes, which he never accepts.
I didn't get shit this year and i may have to ask him for a favor if i can't get a pass through my normal methods.
>>
File: 1486948707791.jpg (34KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1486948707791.jpg
34KB, 480x480px
Post yfw you didn't get a badge
>>
>>91371987
If it is I want info. I've been cosplaying Static for the past three years and heard no such things.
>>
>>91372160
I forgot to add (I'm working right now) that what matters to SDCC is that you're actively working in the comic industry or game industry or anything related to pop culture. They make you submit proof that you work or have worked in the comic industry or gotten something published.

I assume you're a comic artist/writer so if you show them you've gotten work at Avatar Press, Dynamite Entertainment, IDW, have gotten some comics published they might accept you. So yeah produce content and get some sort of recognition and you might qualify as a Creative professional (I'm a trade pro so I am not 100% sure for creative pros and they change the rules but I've seen some webcomic people get pro passes so they might be doing something right).

If you're going to just exhibit stuff (artwork for example) then you can get a badge as an exhibitor or for artist alley without being pro but I don't know what their requirements are.

But basically as long as you've done something and have proof of it (which you have to submit to them every year) they will consider you, they have a FAQ about it in comic-con.org.
>>
>>91371985

Look into Craigslist and Comic Con Reddits
>>
Why is this a thing? Why not just go to a bigger venue if there's such demand?
t. not american who wants to go one year.
>>
I went once. What's the actual appeal of these? Like what are you supposed to do?
>>
Is Marvel Studios going this year?
>>
Real talk: if you really want to go, just bring more money. Buy a badge off Craigslist. They don't really care that much about scalping anymore, only counterfeit badges. If they catch you with a badge that isn't yours they'll grab it but you'll be fine unless you really fuck up.

In any case I'll see you fuckers there. I'll proxy if it doesn't involve too much effort on my part. No Hasbro or Funko. Fuck those.

>>91371431
Back in 2011 was the last time they had on-site prereg. The problem is that people didn't read/realize that they were only going to sell maybe 10k badges split up among the 4 days. I woke my ass up at 5am on Thursday and got to line. Worth it. Out the door by 9am and had peace of mind for the entire year. After Thursday ran out of badges people realized o fuck I better camp out and that's what people did for the rest of the days.

Things didn't really get bad til 2008 because that's when the show started selling out. You can blame places like IGN, G4, etc for doing all the coverage and making people aware that Comic Con existed. That created the demand. Add in the fact that people knew they could start scalping tickets and that made demands worse. You can sell a 4 day badge for $400+. I have a couple of friends who live down there who buy badges so they can then go and buy exclusives and turn them around for even more money. I'm not sure when the last time they went as their own name.

Note that if you do go Pro Reg make sure to do something every 3 years so you can requalify. I'm no longer in the industry and have to futz around with the normals now. No more free 2 badges + 1 paid badge without having to do anything else. Maybe I'll go back, or at least I keep telling myself that.

>>91375674
San Diego will fight tooth and claw to keep SDCC there because it's such a huge economic impact. Every hotel room sold out, tons of tourists buying food and injecting money into the local economy. No city will let that go easily.
>>
>>91370228
>"donations"

fuck you
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.