[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /co/ think of Garth Ennis? Genius or Edgelord?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 11

File: The Boys.png (316KB, 589x294px) Image search: [Google]
The Boys.png
316KB, 589x294px
What does /co/ think of Garth Ennis? Genius or Edgelord?
>>
>>91321080
He can get too preachy at times and can rely too much on shock factor some times, but when he hita the mark (which is very often) he's one of the best in the industry.
>>
>>91321080
he's a genius brought down by his edgelordiness.

The Boys is the perfect example, there is a really interesting story in there but the edginess (with some exceptions like the final arc) completely undercuts his message and basically turns it into a comedy.
>>
>>91321080
dont know but some of his stuff is really nice, loved crossed
>>
>>91321080
When he sticks to the message he's going for, he can be quite fun like with Preacher but sometimes he loses track of what he's doing and it ruins the overall tone like in The Boys

Ultimately though, anyone who thinks he's a genius is full of shit, he's written some great stuff but he does it all by the seat of his pants, he even recycles exact plotlines (like from Hellblazer to Preacher) and then later admits he forgot he'd already done it before
>>
>>91321080
Edgelord af
>>
>>91321254
pretty much this. some of the panels of pure debauchery are just unnecessary, like 80% of herogasm, but in the chapter where those little kids get shoved in a crate and dropped out of a plane, perfect twist
>>
>>91321080

He has a sense of humour which isn't for everyone. Which is understandable; there's few experiences which are as subjective as humour. So when he gets into his deliberate perversity for the sake of some laughs, there will be those who really enjoy it and some who really hate it.

But what's less-subjective is that he's a great storyteller who can write circles around most other contemporary writers when it comes to telling stories with sound thematic elements, memorable characters and peerless pacing.
>>
>>91321080
He's the Seth Rogen of comic books.
>>
>>91321080

God Emperor Edge

Never read a more deplorable cast of characters.
>>
>>91321080

He's a great writer. I don't enjoy everything he produces, but I like most of it.
>>
>>91321080
Both.
>>
File: rsz_mywargoneby_7126.jpg (87KB, 342x513px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_mywargoneby_7126.jpg
87KB, 342x513px
Fury: My War Gone By is easily one of my top five favorite comics ever, and the rest of what I've read of his work has generally been varying degrees of good-great. Although I admittedly still need to finish Preacher and get started on his Hellblazer. Ennis is cool.
>>
Ennis is one of the writers i avoid, he gets way too preachy and his immature ways of making his points come off as edgy for the sake of being edgy.
>>
>>91321080
This is an oldie but I still think it covers it.....
>>
The only things I've read by him that I really like are his war/history stories. That's where he seems to leave off the shock factor and do his most thoughtful work. I think he's a damn fine writer who gets in his own way with the edgelord thing too often.
>>
Hitman is one of my all time favourites
>>
When he's in his niche, he can't be fucking beat

Nobody writes war and soldiers like him

He'd write the shit out of a Metal Gear game, for instance, but he wouldn't be able to keep himself from going to far in taking the piss out of the silly anime stuff
>>
>>91321080
He's amazing but holy shit he's edgy.

It's fucking bizzare. I've never seen anyone else fluctuate so strongly between legitmedly making me cry and pure edgelord shit.
>>
I liked his 2000AD and Hellblazer work. Never read Preacher.

Then I saw Crossed.

The cunt is beyond redemption and anything he ever does from no until eternity will be tainted.
>>
Genius. Unlike, say, Millar, he has a sense of humor that makes the edge tolerable. Edge only really bothers me if it expects to be taken seriously.
>>
>>91321080
>>
>>91321080
He's a genius edgelord. He likes to add a lot of sex, gore, and other unsavory things into his work but he also writes compelling characters and can be pretty funny beyond shock value.
>>
whats his problem with the irish
>>
Punished MAX is literally the only thing I've enjoyed reading from him. Everything else is just a hamfisted shitshow filled to the brim with excessive gore and swearing while bitching about why heroes are bad like a manchild.
>>
>>91321080
>Genius or Edgelord?

Somewhere in the middle. It's annoying that he re-uses so many themes ad infinitum, but his criticisms can be very often valid. And his war comics are pretty much the only war comics around nowadays (I really like them, there should be more comics out like that).
>>
>>91321080
Really depends the boys was GOAT but crossed it's 50/50 the arcs where it followed Smokey was GOAT but ones like the the people stranded on the bridge is pure edge
>>
>>91326306
Well, Ennis has only written a sliver of Crossed, close to only a tenth of it.

Of that tenth, one of his stories is bogged down with his personal agenda, one is fun, one is mediocre, and one is great.
>>
File: God.jpg (357KB, 1000x1537px) Image search: [Google]
God.jpg
357KB, 1000x1537px
>>91326349
Only a few arcs in crossed where ok in general, all the smokey ones the japan one and the one where it tells the story of the past
>>
>>91321353
fifth post best post
>>
>>91321080
>Genius or Edgelord?
Yes.
>>
>>91326393
I think aside from the Smokey and Japan one (I seriously don't know how Hines did that one. It was so much better than his previous ones.) anything from Spurrier or Ennis was pretty good.

American Losers was awesome.
>>
I find it ironic that Ennis of all people can write a good Superman.
>>
File: best banter.jpg (582KB, 1000x1537px) Image search: [Google]
best banter.jpg
582KB, 1000x1537px
>>91326426
That was this one right? I also forgot about this I fucking loved this arc.
>>
>>91326448
Yeah, and the Australian special that Spurrier did as well was pretty much a "dry run" of the concept.

Instead of a deadpan narrator, the characters instead interact with the reader though confessional panels.

>DON'T THINK, JUST FEEL
>>
>>91321080
He puts a lot of edgy shit in there but at their core they're still well-written stories with interesting characters, I don't find myself thinking it's edge for edginess sake. I've only really read Punisher, Punisher MAX and a bit of Hitman, though.
>>
>>91321080
Pretty good most of the time, fairly insufferable the rest of the time.
>>
File: punmax.jpg (435KB, 1280x2012px) Image search: [Google]
punmax.jpg
435KB, 1280x2012px
Garth Ennis's Punisher is top fucking notch.

Sure, he's an edge lord, but every that style fits Punisher perfectly.
>>
>>91326513
Post the part where he slams the bitch into the window
>>
>>91326429
He gets Superman and he respects Superman.
I don't know about an entire run, but a three issue story seems like a good idea to me.
I wonder what he thinks about Jon?
>>
>>91326538
Garth Ennis truly is a pioneer of gender equality in comics.
>>
File: Homelander.jpg (408KB, 1000x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Homelander.jpg
408KB, 1000x1536px
>>91326429
He all ready got all of his issues out with supes in the homelander
>>
>>91321080
He's hit and miss. Punisher Max and The Boys are golden though, except the John McCrea bits. that guy's Ramos-tier.
>>
File: 2075470-punisher29_18.jpg (981KB, 1280x1968px) Image search: [Google]
2075470-punisher29_18.jpg
981KB, 1280x1968px
>>91326538
This one?

My favorite is early in the second volume I think where he basically kills a gang leaders mother just cuz and she "might have done some illegal stuff". Like holy shit frank lol
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 882x665px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 882x665px
>>91321080
>>
>>91326633
But the boys/herogasm is a fucking master piece of what superheroes would actually be like.
>>
>>91321274
I always read it as being an intentional comedy. I don't think Ennis himself expects people to take most of his work seriously.
>>
>>91325611
This pretty much. Millar is Hostel 2, Ennis is Evil Dead 2.
>>
>>91321080
He made Ruins, a grimdark version of Marvels. He is definitely an edgelord.
>>
>>91327111
That was Ellis, dumbass.
>>
>>91321080
As long as I don't read his political and historical thrillers, I am entertained and consider him a good writer that sometimes has duds as any other author.

His preachiness isn't that annoying ans the edginess is used with a specific purpouse.
>>
Hitman was his best work, imo.
>>
File: Battlefields - The Tankies 05.jpg (210KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Battlefields - The Tankies 05.jpg
210KB, 600x900px
Absolutely love him. Easily my favorite writer of his generation and one of my favorites overall. he has his rough spots and a handful of mediocre works, but everything else I've loved to bits. And even if I didn't like him so much, I'd still feel indebted to him for being basically the only big-ish name writer doing war comics on a constant basis right now.
>>
>>91321080
>Genius or Edgelord
those are the same thing
>>
>>91326057
He grew up during the height of violence in the Troubles and consequently hates both the Irish and the British.
>>
>>91321519
Funny how Seth Rogan produces the Preacher show.
>>
80% edgelord, 20% edgelord. Maybe vice versa
>>
>>91321080
95% edgelord, 5% great but would never call genius.

His Max Fury and Hellblazer were good, that's about it. And no, I don't think his Punisher is that good either.
>>
>>91321080
do people honestly like this style of coloring?
>>
is crossed any good?
>>
>>91329350
His crossed?
The original mini, and the "Thin Red Line" arc he did are probably the least entertaining of the bunch. But they have moments.

Badlands 1-3 and The Fatal Englishman are fun.

The rest of Crossed is sparsely good, real sure-fires are Spurrier, Moore, and most people seem to like Christos Gage's arcs.
>>
>>91329291

Whoever colored The Boys sort of ruined the art of it, IMO.

I mean, compare with Transmet, which was also drawn by Darick Robertson but the art looks way better because it has a different style of coloring.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.